• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Yeah he uses a bunch of teams, some Wesker teams and some non-Wesker teams. It's still telling that he is CONSIDERING non-Wesker teams to begin with.

My personal opinion is that Wesker on a Phoenix team sucks. What makes him stupid in UMVC3 you can't even use on a Phoenix team. Can't get the speed/damage boost, can't fish for random cross ups with Phantom Dances. Viscant still thinks Phoenix is hot shit but he also thinks Zero is hot shit and of course he can't play Zero/Wesker/Phoenix.

I just think Viscant should use Wesker/Doom/Strider and learn those characters. Drop Phoenix unless the TAC thing is fixed for her. Then again I also think that FChamp should drop Phoenix for Dormammu but hey he got a tournament win with her so eh.

Anyway the good thing is that Combofiend is sort of hungry for Marvel again. He was not impressed with his performance at NCR and he went back into the lab to figure out a new team. I want to see the CHEAP stuff from Combofiend.

Yeah he uses a bunch of teams, some Wesker teams and some non-Wesker teams. It's still telling that he is CONSIDERING non-Wesker teams to begin with.

My personal opinion is that Wesker on a Phoenix team sucks. What makes him stupid in UMVC3 you can't even use on a Phoenix team. Can't get the speed/damage boost, can't fish for random cross ups with Phantom Dances. Viscant still thinks Phoenix is hot shit but he also thinks Zero is hot shit and of course he can't play Zero/Wesker/Phoenix.

I just think Viscant should use Wesker/Doom/Strider and learn those characters. Drop Phoenix unless the TAC thing is fixed for her. Then again I also think that FChamp should drop Phoenix for Dormammu but hey he got a tournament win with her so eh.

Anyway the good thing is that Combofiend is sort of hungry for Marvel again. He was not impressed with his performance at NCR and he went back into the lab to figure out a new team. I want to see the CHEAP stuff from Combofiend.

Any character is weaker on a Phoenix team. F Champ needs 1-3 resets to kill any character with Magneto. I think Neo's Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix team is very good and it's a big reason why he got top 8 for the last 2 majors he went to. The Wesker/Doom/Phoenix team Viscant was using previously is solid too as long as Viscant levels up his Doom, and in the end it seems he would rather play with Zero than to do that.

smurfx

get some go again
combo said he is working on a new team but it still sounded like KOF is still his number 1 game right now. i actually don't mind that at all as i want to see him competing for the top spots at tournaments.

combo said he is working on a new team but it still sounded like KOF is still his number 1 game right now. i actually don't mind that at all as i want to see him competing for the top spots at tournaments.

I am not sure about him being about to compete for top spots in KOFXIII, the gap between him and the best KOF players is substantial and KOFXIII isn't the type of game where you can gain a big advantage in using the underrated, less commonly used characters that Combofiend loves. But yeah it's obvious KOF has his interest so we'll see how far he can go.

I am not sure about him being about to compete for top spots in KOFXIII, the gap between him and the best KOF players is substantial and KOFXIII isn't the type of game where you can gain a big advantage in using the underrated, less commonly used characters that Combofiend loves. But yeah it's obvious KOF has his interest so we'll see how far he can go.

Combo's going for top tier characters at the moment. Which is awesome.

Dahbomb

Isn't KOF more like a 3D fighter where the match ups are hardly worse than 6-4? I am really not that privy to KOF knowledge so someone fill me in as to why it's difficult to use lower tier characters over full on top characters.

Even in Marvel a B tier character is a major threat on the right team.

And yeah Combo's main game seems to be KOF at the moment but I am just happy he is at least in the lab with Marvel again.

Isn't KOF more like a 3D fighter where the match ups are hardly worse than 6-4? I am really not that privy to KOF knowledge so someone fill me in as to why it's difficult to use lower tier characters over full on top characters.

And yeah Combo's main game seems to be KOF at the moment but I am just happy he is at least in the lab with Marvel again.

Problem is that Maxima/Ralf/Takuma are all worse than B tier characters or are borderline B tier at best.

Grecco

Any character is weaker on a Phoenix team. F Champ needs 1-3 resets to kill any character with Magneto. I think Neo's Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix team is very good and it's a big reason why he got top 8 for the last 2 majors he went to. The Wesker/Doom/Phoenix team Viscant was using previously is solid too as long as Viscant levels up his Doom, and in the end it seems he would rather play with Zero than to do that.

I agreee with all of this. Anyways Viscant went back to the Wesker/Doom/Pheonix team and has been also running Wesker/Haggar/Pheonix.

Basically what he dropped was Zero. He probably realized that essentially very few can really run that guy effectively.

Dahbomb

tumblr_lwl126UgMN1qjliv8o1_500.jpg

We are going to get a lot of mileage out of this pic when Viscant comes to tournaments with his Phoenix. Believe it.

B tier KOF characters don't have assist support the way they do in Mahvel. Also, 6-4 matchups don't make it more like a 3D fighter. Being 3D makes it more like a 3D fighter.

I'd guess that people just make a bigger deal out of it than they should seeing as everyone these days is playing to win.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh my god watching The Break stream archive is hilarious.

*Quotes' Dante comes down with j.S*
*MarlinPie EX Seismo's through it*
MarlinPie: "OH YOU THOUGHT I WAS SOMEONE ELSE DIDN'T YOU?"

:lol

Azure J

Oh my god watching The Break stream archive is hilarious.

*Quotes' Dante comes down with j.S*
*MarlinPie EX Seismo's through it*
MarlinPie: "OH YOU THOUGHT I WAS SOMEONE ELSE DIDN'T YOU?"

:lol

Last night's Break elevated the Marlin/Quotes combo to Matrix/Yipes tier. I forgot exactly what it was, but MarlinPie shouting "THE FUCK YOU THIS THIS IS NI**A?" Had stream chat explode.

Vice

Weskers big pool of health, high damage and meter building make him a great character for a Phoenix team. He's also a strong character to have if Jean gets snapped in and killed.

Dahbomb

Yeah what I meant to say is that Wesker sucks in UMVC3 for a Phoenix team as COMPARED to his Vanilla counterpart where in that game he was a godlike Phoenix gate keeper.

There are multiple reasons why I feel this is so:

*Wesker can't confirm full screen with his gun shot without glasses off/XF where he could do that before.
*His reset game isn't as powerful as before because assists pop up enemies higher for reset attempts. The Viscant vortex isn't the same as it was thanks to the universal assist HSD change.
*Less health than before obviously and way less meter gain overall.
*Wesker without glasses is missing out on a lot of potential damage.
*No fully invincible assists means that Wesker is prone to getting rushed down hard which by default makes Phoenix more likely to get killed. Also Haggar doesn't cause hard knockdown anymore so that removes a good portion of his mix up/reset game where he would make you trade with him but come out on top thanks to the knockdown pick up.
*Doom's Plasma Beam assist does not cause soft knockdown as does his point version and Magneto's beam is useless as a combo extender now. Iron Man remains the best beam assist for Wesker but people don't want to use Iron Man.
*Some of his bad match ups are either better or there are more characters added that give him trouble. While some of his bad match ups are fixed by Vajra, this involves having a character on your team who competes with Phoenix for meter/XF.

I am not saying it's a bad pick but I don't see this as the EVO winning duo as it was last year especially not with someone like Zero running around at the top.

Man I just played a guy for like fifty matches straight. I discovered two new things for Phoenix Wright during it.

1. C.Vipers punch rush hyper flat out beats the Ace Attorney hyper. :(

2. If x factored a hard tag into wright while turnabout can be comboed with the crouching C. I was using wesker did a B&B combo then x factored to hard tag to wrights crouching C into full combo.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
lol, Planet Zero. Apparently they rigged the Texas Showdown brackets so that their own players had multiple byes. The Cannons supposedly set them straight about it though.

I can't believe they actually made the Evo circuit in the first place considering their rep.

smurfx

get some go again
lol, Planet Zero. Apparently they rigged the Texas Showdown brackets so that their own players had multiple byes. The Cannons supposedly set them straight about it though.

I can't believe they actually made the Evo circuit in the first place considering their rep.
i heard a bunch of the local texas players weren't attending texas showdown. anybody know if that is true?

CorvoSol

Am I a bad person if I enjoy having Phoenix and Zero on a team? They're sorta my favorite characters, but they also happen to be pretty powerful.

Tobe

Isn't there a way to ahem, get the costumes anyway?

its too much work to do it.

going OT here, but since you are the guys i play the most i think you can give me some advice.

yesterday after losing to smurf i started thinking about what got me into FG and how practice is rewarded greatly in other places, i thought "damn smurf got a lot better he surely has a reason maybe there is a local tournament coming up" and it hit me there is nothing like that where i am. the point is that it has been at least 6-7 years of playing and the last 3 i was heavily involved in my local community, that is kinda of a long time (considering im 20). ive tried teaching to community, ive done torunaments, but sadly not everbody here has a console, not everybody has good internet(decent to play online), things arent really easy here for marvel players, KOF always had the center stage here and the results were that a company made a tournament to send someone to evo. all what marvel got was a lousy razer controller, not even a stick. It just feels bad, well ive helped the KOF and SF4 community but marvel just doesnt get enough love around here. The competition isnt really strong, MVC2 players wont stop playing, etc etc etc.

i dont know what to say besides that im not hungry anymore at least i noticed that ever since i came back from NYC. i think its a form of envy, being serious here i envy a lot of you were you have big local communities and not the same 3 guys like i have here (at least in marvel, to give you perspective i think umvc3 is played by at least 30 ppl and only 5 of them i consider good, but non of them good enough to make me hungry). i just lost my will to fight.

Onemic

Been thinking about getting the HORI V3 fighting stick, but it seems like its price has gone up quite a bit in the past year from 59.99 to 89.99.(amazon) Anyone know why this is and if a similar quality product has come out that is advertised around the original price point? Or am I just stuck with getting it at a higher price?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

going OT here, but since you are the guys i play the most i think you can give me some advice.

yesterday after losing to smurf i started thinking about what got me into FG and how practice is rewarded greatly in other places, i thought "damn smurf got a lot better he surely has a reason maybe there is a local tournament coming up" and it hit me there is nothing like that where i am. the point is that it has been at least 6-7 years of playing and the last 3 i was heavily involved in my local community, that is kinda of a long time (considering im 20). ive tried teaching to community, ive done torunaments, but sadly not everbody here has a console, not everybody has good internet(decent to play online), things arent really easy here for marvel players, KOF always had the center stage here and the results were that a company made a tournament to send someone to evo. all what marvel got was a lousy razer controller, not even a stick. It just feels bad, well ive helped the KOF and SF4 community but marvel just doesnt get enough love around here. The competition isnt really strong, MVC2 players wont stop playing, etc etc etc.

i dont know what to say besides that im not hungry anymore at least i noticed that ever since i came back from NYC. i think its a form of envy, being serious here i envy a lot of you were you have big local communities and not the same 3 guys like i have here (at least in marvel, to give you perspective i think umvc3 is played by at least 30 ppl and only 5 of them i consider good, but non of them good enough to make me hungry). i just lost my will to fight.
I'm going to repost something that I shared in one of the AL Facebook groups a few days ago:

You know what the Troy scene is like? I post about almost every state event on the Troy facebook group and offer to carpool, and I get zero responses every time despite there being at least a dozen regular posters in the group. Some days, someone will say that they're organizing a get together at the student center, and I'll show up with a setup even on days that I have to leave for work soon afterward, but the guy who freaking brought up the idea in the first place won't even show up himself. 90% of the time anything actually does happen, it's just Joseph (who is a pretty cool dude) and myself button mashing in each other's respective game that the other one of us isn't that serious about. People will post about how they're totally super serious about making it out to EVO when they can't even be bothered to go to Final Round in their own backyards after I've already gone through the trouble of arranging transportation+lodging and giving them 2+ months notice with all the important details. On weekends where nothing is happening and I'm not going anywhere, I invite people over for games; no one has yet taken me up on the offer. (Remember, this is totally a serious group of people who talk about making it out to events and leveling up and whatnot.)

So, yeah. That's why I've been asking to crash elsewhere after locals that go down in other cities. 'Cause I sure as hell ain't gonna get any quality time in around here.
I often have to drive anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours in order to find quality competition, and I obviously can't do that too terribly often. (And it's still less of a hassle than trying to play this game online.) I've started making entire weekends out of it. I'll drive up to Birmingham or Huntsville for their locals on Saturday, then crash at some local player's house and grind out games on Sunday.

smurfx

get some go again

i got a big boost after playing a really good player in person some time ago. i never said anything here and i won't say who he was but it got me charged up again and made me want to get better. i might start going to more local tournaments now too because i know i can keep improving.

Bizazedo

i got a big boost after playing a really good player in person some time ago. i never said anything here and i won't say who he was but it got me charged up again and made me want to get better. i might start going to more local tournaments now too because i know i can keep improving.

We are running a long set til we drop whenever you want, btw. You too, Tobe. I am motivated after my recent tourney :D.

You too, Sasa, our brief brawl was great.

We are running a long set til we drop whenever you want, btw. You too, Tobe. I am motivated after my recent tourney :D.

You too, Sasa, our brief brawl was great.

Definitely. I'm open to sets with pretty much everyone, killers especially.

Need to make sure Spidey stays sharp. Also want to keep my Fraud-eye evolving into a Hawkeye (it's getting better ^_^).

Everyday I play this game and see myself get better, I taste the sad that I won't be making it to Evo (or even UFGT )this year. I think I'd do so much better, especially as far as MM's are concerned.

Gonna need to find dat job so I can make sure to get to Canada Cup.

Tirael

They're too busy trying to screw over the dwindling SFxTK fanbase.

A bit OT, but could you please summarize your problems with SFxTK? I want to hear someone's clear take on it rather than hearing a bunch of references to bad decisions with little clear-cut facts.
Edit: Or anyone's take, really.

On topic, I think the chances of UMvC3 news at Captivate is extremely small, but I'll always be one of the holdouts for this game, I love it too much.

Azure J

Being really honest, I'd love to get better and show up at Big 2 or local NYC stuff for UMVC3, but I really have to get a lot in my life straightened out first. It just sucks because I love this game and I really enjoy the scene in general, but (getting a little OT) dealing with depression at times and having a fairly lacking level of self sufficiency (and esteem) offline really fucking sucks. =/

Speaking of lowered self esteems, all of a sudden I can't hit consistent SRKs from the P2 side of the screen. I just had the saltiest of the salty matches against my bro and most of my errors came from execution stuff related to that. (Losing Ammy because I couldn't shuffle reflectors, Strider teleports and Gram fucking up, the works.)

I hate my "off" days.

Tobe

xbl has really forgotten how to play against phoenix, im currently on a 10 win streak. im up for the long sets biza

Frantic

Definitely. I'm open to sets with pretty much everyone, killers especially.
I really need to play you in a long set. You're like the only gaffer I haven't had a long set with. I could really use Spidey experience.
how do i hit spiderman

Also need to play Biz and Smurf some more. Biz for dat Zero experience, and smurf for the patience.

xbl has really forgotten how to play against phoenix, im currently on a 10 win streak. im up for the long sets biza
I've been playing with Phoenix on point(backed by Dante/Sent) and it's been working out pretty great. Only thing I really need to fear are random supers.

Tobe

I really need to play you in a long set. You're like the only gaffer I haven't had a long set with. I could really use Spidey experience.
how do i hit spiderman

Also need to play Biz and Smurf some more. Biz for dat Zero experience, and smurf for the patience.

I've been playing with Phoenix on point(backed by Dante/Sent) and it's been working out pretty great. Only thing I really need to fear are random supers.

yeah phoenix just dies against random super but remember when in doubt, phoenix inferno out.

also you dont hit spidey you chip him, that bug in harder to tag than zero.

Dahbomb

Am I a bad person if I enjoy having Phoenix and Zero on a team? They're sorta my favorite characters, but they also happen to be pretty powerful.
Phoenix is A- to B+ tier in UMVC3. You will still get shit for using her but she isn't considered a top 10 character anymore. Zero is the best character in the game but if you play online most people don't seem to care they are more frustrated by trenchcoats and super armor characters.

A bit OT, but could you please summarize your problems with SFxTK? I want to hear someone's clear take on it rather than hearing a bunch of references to bad decisions with little clear-cut facts.
This is just my brief impression of the game, I have had very little play time and I still enjoy the game as it is fun.

*I think the whole all DLC characters already on disc and being saved for the Vita release has put off a lot of people in the community.
*Game doesn't seem properly balanced. Some characters are so obviously better than others. This thing doesn't really matter much in Marvel as it's a 3v3 with assists game plus it has X Factor but it's going to be a bigger problem in this game and character variety is going to be hurt a bit. Not a big problem, this is true for most fighting games anyway.
*Considerable amount of very obvious and abusable glitches and infinites.
*Lame out tactics way too effective in this game. Due to the way that everything has drawn out animations especially super arts it really eats away at the clock and time out strategies are legit.
*A lot of normals are super + on block meaning you can literally frame trap someone with jab, jab, walk up jab, jab. A lot of Tekken characters are really derp like this on top of their mix up game and ability to by pass zoning.
*The Gem system implementation is completely out of whack. It is not feasible in tournaments because it would take too long to pick for each of your characters while having to scroll through so many gems. Plus most people seem to have a problem with the assist gems. Worst part is that the game clearly appears to be designed and "balanced" around gems, it's like playing Marvel without assists (ok not that much but you get the idea). Plus they are using the gem system to nickle and dime the players.
*A lot of people just don't like the visuals and the constant color flashing and SF4 artwork for characters.
*The general hit stop animation stuff during combos really makes the combos feel very unhype. In fact I don't know but something about the game is just lacking in hype, maybe it's because the game is neither a super fundamental based game like SSF4/KOF nor a super hype over the top game like Marvel.

Like I said the game is still fun, 2v2 aspect is great, I love the roster selection (pretty much got all the characters who mattered from Tekken side that I like) and Gem system is interesting. Plus I feel the game is misunderstood by most and people just haven't optimized their stuff yet so that's why we are getting too many time outs. Game has legit 60%+ combos. Still issues are there and Capcom has handled this game worse than they handled Vanilla Marvel IMO. I personally am waiting for the inevitable updated edition which fixes most of these issues and come packed with all the characters but of course I don't go to the SFxTekken to advertise this just to get some troll points.

smurfx

get some go again
But how do I chip Spidey. I can barely touch him as it is.
yeah killing spidy by chipping him is not a sound strategy as he can get around zoning with no effort at all. this is why i have a problem playing him. once he gets in its really tough keeping him out.

ggs biza. i would of played longer but i had played a long set against somebody else before playing you and at that point i was burned out. god i'm still surprised at how crazy nova's and wesker's throw range is. i'm trying to throw them and instead get my ass thrown. at least i learned a little more today on how to punish nova. although it really does annoy me that his slide is so damn safe.

smurfx

get some go again
Isn't his slide unsafe? I mean you can probably make it safe but I am pretty sure it's negative on block.
if he follows up with that kick he does he pushes me away enough to where i can't do shit to him. plus the hit box is crazy on it too. he regularly catches both haggar and task as they are air born and using either the pipe or tasks air H. it seems like i hit him but i guess his hurt box is somewhere else.

Tirael

[list of issues]

Even though you haven't had much time with the game, I feel like most of your concerns are quite legitimate. Especially character balancing. Why give a character all the tools that exist, (RAVEN) and give others next to none? (PAUL)

Tournament gems are even more busted because everyone has two sample gem setups. Some (like Ryu) even have meter gain gems by default, which benefit people who run meter gems outside of a tourney and are used to having bar to burn.And the only alternative to that would be to not use gems at all, which would have to be done manually before each match, or someone would have to do it with ALL the character's gems before the tournament... what a nightmare.

And I am very surprised at how legitimate time-out strategies are. You rarely see that in a Marvel match, but it happens all the damn time in SFxTK.

I really respect what they tried to do, but it didn't work out nearly as well as it could have. A few really good bug fixes and a bit of balancing, as well as better PR could have made it something truly great.

Fighting a good Spider-Man is annoying as hell. Did you guys see that swag Spider-Man in that Maximilian video that had all those web throws? I thought that was amazing.

smurfx

get some go again
GGs Smurf and Frantic. Starting to feel my Nova is my strongest character. Unsure how I feel about that.
your nova is really good. i would rather face zero over your nova. zero is a really good character but he has a lot of stuff you can punish if you are zoning.

Azure J

Watching some semi-recent Joker videos (a FT10 with RDK) makes me want to take him more seriously now. Holy shit what a disgusting character. Air dash Magblasts is some Zero buster shit. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom