• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Firebrand would go crazy good on your team of Dante + Ammy.

With Jam Session you get an unblockable whenever you snap or kill a character. Ammy means whenever you get a hard knockdown you can put them in a lockdown situation where they have to guess high/low from which you can do his unreactable high/low mix up. You can confirm off of Jam Session with kidnap or Dive kick too. Plus for super dirty tactics you can always THCs into either Million Dollars or Okami Shuffle to get a free unblockable set up. You can also do right/left mix ups using his Demon Missile + assist or Hell's Elevator + assist. Finally you can get raw combos into Dante for good damage off of any Firebrand confirm into his Kidnap.

Firebrand would go crazy good on your team of Dante + Ammy.

With Jam Session you get an unblockable whenever you snap or kill a character. Ammy means whenever you get a hard knockdown you can put them in a lockdown situation where they have to guess high/low from which you can do his unreactable high/low mix up. You can confirm off of Jam Session with kidnap or Dive kick too. Plus for super dirty tactics you can always THCs into either Million Dollars or Okami Shuffle to get a free unblockable set up. You can also do right/left mix ups using his Demon Missile + assist or Hell's Elevator + assist. Finally you can get raw combos into Dante for good damage off of any Firebrand confirm into his Kidnap.

The problem is that this team is too meter hungry, Firebrand wouldn't build meters, Dante will use up all the meters he builds and Ammy needs lots of meters for slowdown to be an effective anchor.

Do you have any youtube videos?

Here's the thing -- my YT record is gahbage. I'll try and find some twitch links for you, but even then, not super-spectacular. I should start uploading my own stuff so I look like less of a fraud.

Here's something from December, things have definitely changed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDLTaDNHQg

For more recent (re: better) stuff, here's some local invitationals (where the prize was pride):

http://www.twitch.tv/chipdamage/b/312760124?t=43m20s

(The only reason the Chris player in this drops his combos is that we accidentally set up on non-H&H PS3 D:, got it fixed after that.)

http://www.twitch.tv/chipdamage/b/312770252?t=1m vs Dormammu and Animal Friends

http://www.twitch.tv/chipdamage/b/312770252?t=64m WF

http://www.twitch.tv/chipdamage/b/312770252?t=87m10s GF

Not my best body of work but decent enough. Still more drops than I would've liked when I wasn't experimenting.

Also, after GF, the Rocket Raccoon originator (www.youtube.com/bmeister42) has a set against our really solid Wolvie/Trish/Magneto

http://www.twitch.tv/chipdamage/b/312770252?t=117m30s

mr. puppy

Banned
The problem is that this team is too meter hungry, Firebrand wouldn't build meters, Dante will use up all the meters he builds and Ammy needs lots of meters for slowdown to be an effective anchor.

i don't see what about that team particularly makes it use more meter than all the other lineups that people use. also, lol @ firebrand doesn't build meters.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Cool .

So the Wesker wall bounce assist let's Hawkeye get 2 poison arrows in. So overtime my Hawkeye bnb does 700k-740k. Only problem is that it's hard to do mid screen.

Webface is da bess now. Which makes me fear Capcpom will screw him up in the next version should there be one.

There's absolutely not going to be another revision until a sequel.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD is coming to XBLA/PSN. The only reason Capcom would go through the effort of obtaining the rights to an unpopular and unprofitable IP then doubling down with an HD version is marketing. They want Shueisha in the minds of fighting game players.

I'm dead serious when I say I'd bet real money that Niitsuma is making Shonen Jump vs Capcom or the equivalent. And I'm pissed.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD is coming to XBLA/PSN. The only reason Capcom would go through the effort of obtaining the rights to an unpopular and unprofitable IP then doubling down with an HD version is marketing. They want Shueisha in the minds of fighting game players.

I'm dead serious when I say I'd bet real money that Niitsuma is making Shonen Jump vs Capcom or the equivalent. And I'm pissed.

Wait... that Jojo rumor turned out to be true? o.0

Dahbomb

Dante and Firebrand are not "meter hungry". Having utility hypers does not make a character meter hungry.

I rarely use meter with Firebrand outside of kills or snap back because his mix up game is probably the best in the game. He's essentially MVC2 Magneto, he kills via resets and mix ups with lockdown assists and resets build meter unless I want to perform that 1 hyper to finish off opponents. I know some people prefer to play zoning style with Firebrand and they like to use Luminous Body but not me, his mix up/pressure game is too good to pass up and on my team I have dedicated 2 lockdown assists for him.

Dante is similar now in UMVC3, you need to perform more resets with him. You can use DT to do more damage but even then you come out meter negative so it's better to up your mix up game and save the meter, retaining his meter building status in the game. DT is there if you need to buy time or zone out opponents but it's not necessary to continually blow your meter on it.

Ammy being an anchor is usually going to have enough meter to play with especially when she follow ups two mix up based characters. I really don't understand this whole meter hungry nonsense, by that same notion MarlinPie should change his team because Viper and Ammy are meter hungry or Zak should change his because all 3 of his character "need" meter.

Meter usage only becomes an issue on a Phoenix team... I would even say that a duo of Viper and Vergil is excellent in this game and these are two of the most meter hungry characters in the game (they basically require that you have at least 1 meter on deck so that they are super dangerous).

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Other games are getting confirmed from the XBLA leak, and apparently Mr.Wiz confirmed it in #capcom or something so I'm assuming it was announced in Rome. Also an oddly appropriate location, even by coincidence.

Wow that's crazy. Yea, odd that they got the license back.

GatorBait

Vergil
Wesker
X (Anchor position)

Solve for X, please. I have no idea who to go with in that spot. Character/assist recommendations would be much appreciated.

Vergil
Wesker
X (Anchor position)

Solve for X, please. I have no idea who to go with in that spot. Character/assist recommendations would be much appreciated.

Strider. Suuuuuuuuuch a scummy team, hahaha. Hitboxes everywhere, and your worst anchor is Wesker.

Triple Arrow Hawkeye isn't bad there either.

Frantic

Dante is similar now in UMVC3, you need to perform more resets with him. You can use DT to do more damage but even then you come out meter negative so it's better to up your mix up game and save the meter, retaining his meter building status in the game. DT is there if you need to buy time or zone out opponents but it's not necessary to continually blow your meter on it.
I just want to say that Dante's resets are dumb. Like, really, really dumb. There's like four mixups in a row after every single reset of his. Most people don't block the first one, never had anyone block the second.

Really, Dante in general is pretty dumb.

Dahbomb

Why would you be pissed that Capcom is making Shounen Jump vs Capcom? Isn't that your dream game?

X should be a beam/projectile assist character. Magneto is the best pick, followed by Iron Man/Doom/Hawkeye/Taskmaster. Dante, Trish and a few other characters also have usable projectile assists for teleport mix ups.

There's like four mixups in a row after every single reset of his.
Same thing for Vergil and after seeing Yipes play I have discovered more reset technology with Vergil including completely ambiguous mix ups utilizing his Teleport H.

The basic Vergil in coming mix up: Throw Round Trip -> Blocked Round Trip -> Teleport of choice (opponent has to guess which side I teleported on) -> Dash under st.H/st.S (again a guess has to be a made, these moves also have disjointed hit boxes meaning they are ambiguous even if you guess which side Vergil is actually on) -> Blocked attack into assist + teleport mix up (again they have to guess on the teleport) -> Blocked assist -> Throw another Round Trip into another teleport mix up -> Round Trip blocked -> Rapid Slash/Judgment Cut 50/50 guess off of the block string -> Devil Trigger -> I can do either an assist + teleport here or Rapid Slash/JC mix up.

The resets that I have from Vergil are more stupid than this. I just recently discovered some resets off of his cr.H. Beautiful.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
3079661201_5232137b6d.jpg

Fuck yeah.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If they were able to get through trick licensing issues with TvC I'm sure they could do it with this.

And if not they'll just leave dudes out.

GatorBait

Strider. Suuuuuuuuuch a scummy team, hahaha. Hitboxes everywhere, and your worst anchor is Wesker.

Triple Arrow Hawkeye isn't bad there either.

I started out with Hawkeye triple arrows, but wasn't feeling him that much. If I went with Strider, what assists would you recommend for everyone?

X should be a beam/projectile assist character. Magneto is the best pick, followed by Iron Man/Doom/Hawkeye/Taskmaster. Dante, Trish and a few other characters also have usable projectile assists for teleport mix ups.

Doom with beam assist was one of my thoughts after I figured out that I didn't really like Hawkeye. Can Doom's beam extend Wesker's combos after the gunshot OTG?

I started out with Hawkeye triple arrows, but wasn't feeling him that much. If I went with Strider, what assists would you recommend for everyone?

Doom with beam assist was one of my thoughts after I figured out that I didn't really like Hawkeye. Can Doom's beam extend Wesker's combos after the gunshot OTG?

Vergil Rapid Slash, Wesker Samurai, Strider on Vajra. Several resets with solid space control because of chunky normals + Vajra.

DahBomb is right though in that Magneto would be the best for that shell though. They both get a lot off EMD and Magneto is a pretty ridiculous anchor when he runs wild.

Dahbomb

This has to be fate because I was just listening to some DBZ SSJ theme music.

I am sorry to hear God's Beard that you may not get to live out your dream.

Yeah Doom's beam extends Weskers combos. So does Rapid Slash. You want Gun shot and Rapid Slash for the assists for sure.

Azure J

Don't do this to me man. This isn't something you can just joke around about. :lol

I just want to say that Dante's resets are dumb. Like, really, really dumb. There's like four mixups in a row after every single reset of his. Most people don't block the first one, never had anyone block the second.

Really, Dante in general is pretty dumb.

I am determined to find every reset/incoming mixup possible and exploit the fuck out of it. My current personal favorite is Acid Rain - Call Cold Shots/Vajira - Jam Session underneath the inbound character xx Devil Trigger - Teleport. Sometimes the shit is so fucking hilarious to me, I can't help but think I'm a bastard for putting all of that there at once. It's like how I used to play Link in Smash Bros. :lol

That being said, what kinda stuff do you pull off? I'd love to read up and try something new. >;)

To make it.

I feel for you man.

My only thing is, would we even be able to play it over here in the states?

You know it's hilarious, Toonami came back the other day to much rejoice and I know for a damn fact that most people's exposure to Shonen Jump/Shueisha type properties was through that block, meaning that now more than ever is the perfect timing for something like SJ vs. Capcom on a worldwide scale (if it's even a thing of course). At the same time, it would be a true and total Cacpcom move if they couldn't bring it to the states, or they wound up dropping folks from the roster. (Watch them drop Yusuke for Hiei because they can't make him work with just projectiles. :p)

vg260

Here's the thing -- my YT record is gahbage. I'll try and find some twitch links for you, but even then, not super-spectacular. I should start uploading my own stuff so I look like less of a fraud.

Thanks. will check out later. As a gamer with little time, I've just finished going through mission modes and single player achievement stuff, playing H&H, so i'm finally at a point where I need to really learn this game and I want to play Spidey without just being a spaz.

Frantic

I am determined to find every reset/incoming mixup possible and exploit the fuck out of it. My current personal favorite is Acid Rain - Call Cold Shots/Vajira - Jam Session underneath the inbound character xx Devil Trigger - Teleport. Sometimes the shit is so fucking hilarious to me, I can't help but think I'm a bastard for putting all of that there at once. It's like how I used to play Link in Smash Bros. :lol

That being said, what kinda stuff do you pull off? I'd love to read up and try something new. >;)
My main one on incoming is Acid Rain, dash under/dash, dash under, s.MH - if it hits, launch. If they block, go into Weasel Shot, call Rapid Slash, teleport, land and follow them. If they blocked Rapid Slash, then I go for a IAD j.M or a cr.L. If they're not in the corner, I can also make the IAD j.M crossup or not, so it's an additional left/right. If they got hit by Rapid Slash, I go for s.MHS, j.M, dj, j.H, Killer Bee, etc.

I could also go for s.MH > Weasel Shot after the Rapid Slash and call Vajra for another left/right if I feel like it. There are honestly a lot of different things I can do in those situations, and they're basically forced to guess until I'm finished with all the mixups. Even if they somehow manage to block all of them, that's about 75k of chip done to you, and Dante still has all the momentum.

Azure J

My main one on incoming is Acid Rain, dash under/dash, dash under, s.MH - if it hits, launch. If they block, go into Weasel Shot, call Rapid Slash, teleport, land and follow them. If they blocked Rapid Slash, then I go for a IAD j.M or a cr.L. If they're not in the corner, I can also make the IAD j.M crossup or not, so it's an additional left/right. If they got hit by Rapid Slash, I go for s.MHS, j.M, dj, j.H, Killer Bee, etc.

I could also go for s.MH > Weasel Shot after the Rapid Slash and call Vajra for another left/right if I feel like it. There are honestly a lot of different things I can do in those situations, and they're basically forced to guess until I'm finished with all the mixups. Even if they somehow manage to block all of them, that's about 75k of chip done to you, and Dante still has all the momentum.

Jesus Christ. :lol

The anti-air one sounds pretty fucking awesome, I'm going to borrow that now. :)

That gif... Man, I really have to watch that video now don't I? I thought it was going to be straight cornball too. :lol

Mr. Fix

Ya know Dah, ever since the umvc3 roster leak thread, I was hoping your avatar would say "He. Fucking. Came." instead. Would have worked both ways anyway!

Frantic

Same thing for Vergil and after seeing Yipes play I have discovered more reset technology with Vergil including completely ambiguous mix ups utilizing his Teleport H.

The basic Vergil in coming mix up: Throw Round Trip -> Blocked Round Trip -> Teleport of choice (opponent has to guess which side I teleported on) -> Dash under st.H/st.S (again a guess has to be a made, these moves also have disjointed hit boxes meaning they are ambiguous even if you guess which side Vergil is actually on) -> Blocked attack into assist + teleport mix up (again they have to guess on the teleport) -> Blocked assist -> Throw another Round Trip into another teleport mix up -> Round Trip blocked -> Rapid Slash/Judgment Cut 50/50 guess off of the block string -> Devil Trigger -> I can do either an assist + teleport here or Rapid Slash/JC mix up.

The resets that I have from Vergil are more stupid than this. I just recently discovered some resets off of his cr.H. Beautiful.
I really need to improve my incoming mixups with Vergil. Right now it's basically Round Trip teleport stuff(which still manages to be a step up from most Vergils I see...). Sometimes I throw Jam Session + Teleport in there if I have it, but I don't really have assists that benefit Vergil's teleport mixups.

Really, in a lot of ways I'm a fraud Vergil since I don't have a proper team for him... but at the same time, he does have s.H, SS, and Round Trip...

Dahbomb

Ya know Dah, ever since the umvc3 roster leak thread, I was hoping your avatar would say "He. Fucking. Came." instead. Would have worked both ways anyway!
Original avatar was "He will fucking return". So I knew if he ever did, fuck and returned would be in the new one.

Plus "returns" sounds better than "came"... see: Return of the King

"Came" has too much double meaning to it.

Since my dream has ended, I've gathered and abbreviated some of my notes on systems so you guys can see what kind of game in general I wanted to make:

This is not an arcade game, and should be designed with a console mentality to bring in a broad audience while retaining the spirit of classic Capcom fighting games. Longer matches, simplified control schemes and characters with universal appeal bring in players from atypical audiences, while flexibility of combat systems, fluidity of play and rapid strategic adjustments will strengthen the competitive demographic.

System Overview:

Unique Attack Theory:
-similar to stands, 4th attack button to modify main attack buttons or create separate utility

Universal Defense Theory:
AAA - Roll (hit invincible, distance varies by character but always 75 frames, can be used as a reversal)
jAAA - air parry
6AAA - towards parry (whiffs into roll)
2AAA - low parry (whiffs into roll)
4AAA - push block (during blockstun, otherwise rolls) - pushes 2.5 character distances, swaps player character
-overlapping inputs to help mitigate option select abuses or mashing parry

Parry Theory:
-3s parry window - 10 frames, 6 frame sloppy input, 3 frame red normals, 2 frame red specials/supers
-metered parry theory - 15 frame window, half super stock, high/low separation?
--balanced by meter cost, slightly more involved input, whiff is a punishable roll
-freezes screen for 16 frames

Button Layout options:
-Optimal: LMHS - works on pad perfectly, easy to understand for new players but requires combinations for partner system
-Expanded: LMHSE - frees up inputs for special moves, simplifies necessary system inputs but increases number of buttons
-Normal vs Expert - two choices at character select(opt out in options menu) expert is standard layout, expert distinction to make casuals more comfortable choosing normal mode
--Normal mode: Normal/Special/Unique/Exchange - doesn't reduce buttons, but simplifies inputs
---no motions/charges, but can't choose strengths, moves chosen by direction + button like Smash Brothers
---limited normal moves, supers done by direction + any two buttons
---partner follows point character automatically in simple mode
---throws are automatic at close ranges with normal button(ST-style)
---no parries, pushblock activated by mashing during blockstun
---roll activated by mashing during wakeup(back roll by holding away only available to normal users)

Partner Theory:
-down throws, raw switch, situational desperation moves
-reverse snaps: costs 1 bar, 2-frame hit throw(counts as special move), swaps characters(think Goku holding Raditz and calling Piccolo)
-swapped out characters regain red health at 25 per second, then normal health at 10 per second(1000 is average full health)
-point character regains red health at 10 per second after not being in or putting the opponent in hit- or block-stun for 300 frames
-red health is 50% of the last combo's damage, reset after each successive attack

Timer:
-Timer is 250 ticks, each tick is 60 frames
-timer can be affected by desperation moves

Ratio System:
-ratio system is automatic to simplify character screen, no extra selection
-to activate, select the same character twice
-doubles character health
-during battle, bar is twice as thick for single character as emphasis
-no partner attacks, but cannot be chip killed

Throw theory:
-3s-style(S+L) vs ST-style(clH)
3s - allows for normal kara throws(expert mode only)
ST - frees up S+ inputs for special moves(normal mode only)
Back/Forward/Down throws
Throw techs are 3 frames, down throws have 5 frame tech windows but change characters

Universal Kara theory:
-Rolls can be canceled into throws, specials and normals within the first 3 frames
-moves the character forward 0.5 character distances

Super Theory:
-Equivalent usage as EX moves in Street Fighter, flash but no freeze(portrait flash w/voice)
-moderate damage but drastically increased utility
-utility wholly separate from special moves
-portrait flash in background, animated
Super bar - 2 parry/push stocks per bar, 5 bars?

Stun Theory:
stun meter- no separate bar, rim of health bar glows when close to stun(75%)

Desperation Moves(ougi):
-Costs 5 bars, no health requirement
-character-specific screen freeze
-activated by LMHS
-potential situational requirement?
--stunned opponent, partner knocked out, knocked down, varies by character
-not(with rare exception) a high damaging attack or reversal, more like a system that changes the pace of the game
--in SF4, Dudley's CCB gives him longer combos or a more damaging AA in situations he could already attack from
--Rose's Soul Satellite gives her situational advantage that she couldn't get before
---Desperation moves will be situational advantages like Soul Satellite, not additional leverage like Corkscrew Blow
-gives the character major advantages that they DID NOT HAVE before

Meter Gain Theory:
-1 bar is equal to 200 damage done
-chip gives 50% of full meter
-blocked attacks give 25% of full meter
-bar changes color at each full stock, glows at 5 bars to indicate Desperation Move availability(5 bars is max)

Chip Damage Theory:
-Chip is 30% of full damage
-push block negates chip damage for 45 frames
-chip damage doesn't affect red health but stops recovery

dumb question- the guide says air normals are "overhead," does that mean they're unblockable when the enemy is ducking+blocking? Tried to set it up in training, but all the block settings (except "low only") block it. Just wondering if "overhead" is different from "unblockable overhead" somehow.

also is UMVC3X real?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Watching The Runback stream archive and goddamn, DiosX using Storm's wind manipulation moves to move the corpse of the dead character to switch the side the new character is entering from. Not crazy functional but GODDAMN smart shit.

The struck-out portion is from a separate mechanic I can't figure out quite how to integrate without making it pointlessly complicated. I originally thought the team focus for the game wasn't strong enough so I came up with a kind of "dynamic cheerleader assist" function to make the game more interesting but it kind of turned it into a clusterfuck.

So like, why do we think there is a Sj vs. Capcom game coming out? Is that the game that was announced at Captivate or something.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD is a Horseman of the Apocalypse.

Anth0ny

So I was watching Max's new vid and I had no idea Marvel was going to be at SBO.

Looks like I might have to watch. How much is the PPV?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The struck-out portion is from a separate mechanic I can't figure out quite how to integrate without making it pointlessly complicated. I originally thought the team focus for the game wasn't strong enough so I came up with a kind of "dynamic cheerleader assist" function to make the game more interesting but it kind of turned it into a clusterfuck.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD is a Horseman of the Apocalypse.

If I were you, I would take those down until they confirm the game first then you can post it afterward in SJvC official thread.

We don't know for sure.

dumb question- the guide says air normals are "overhead," does that mean they're unblockable when the enemy is ducking+blocking? Tried to set it up in training, but all the block settings (except "low only") block it. Just wondering if "overhead" is different from "unblockable overhead" somehow.

also is UMVC3X real?

No, It's fake.

Tobe

i cant find the thread of these rumored leaks, GB where did you read it?

damn JOJO HD would be godlike, gotta get my DIO ON!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom