• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirael

There is a middle ground. Throws are the least of this game's problems though.

-UI is ugly
-Needs moar Gene and good Capcom characters
-Nerf X-factor some more plz

I wouldn't even complain if they didn't touch throws in the end anyway.

Amen. Though as an addendum, I think TACs need to be slightly easier to spot. Offline it's already a guess, online the color-coding is useless and you're just mashing something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Amen. Though as an addendum, I think TACs need to be slightly easier to spot. Offline it's already a guess, online the color-coding is useless and you're just mashing something.
I never really believed them adding colours to try and help "predict" TACs. They're random, and random by design, colouring them doesn't really help in practice. The skill comes in trying to predict your opponent's overall goals or strategy, which is again offset by them trying not to make it obvious either and intentionally picking a different TAC.

I don't have a problem with the mechanic TBH, but I can see why people would. It adds some randomness into the mix, and that ruins the experience for super competitive people.

Jintor

Arrrgh I can't reliably get this damn <-- (charge) ---> move. I get it like a third of the time, every other time it whiffs or turns into a rolling buckler

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Arrrgh I can't reliably get this damn <-- (charge) ---> move. I get it like a third of the time, every other time it whiffs or turns into a rolling buckler
Are you holding down-back when you charge? As you do it? I only ever really use charges with Hulk and it takes not much time to get down, but timings vary.

The info embargo on Captivate is till April 10, right?

You guys think anything for us be happening there?
Nope. Though I expect a new fighting game announcement for sure, just not a Marvel one.

Jintor

Are you holding down-back when you charge? As you do it? I only ever really use charges with Hulk and it takes not much time to get down, but timings vary.

It's more likely to turn into a rolling buckler than a sand splash or whatever her OTG move is :T

/edit wait Toy Touch otgs? Lemme try that out, see if that's easier

The info embargo on Captivate is till April 10, right?

You guys think anything for us be happening there?
The best we'll see is a barebones Darkstalkers 3 release date at this event. That is not very exciting either.
Yeah, I forgot about those things. TACs don't bother me that much, but I can see why people would want them changed.

It's more likely to turn into a rolling buckler than a sand splash or whatever her OTG move is :T

/edit wait Toy Touch otgs? Lemme try that out, see if that's easier

Try it in Training Mode and check your inputs. You might accidentally be rolling your finger/the stick in a motion that makes the game think you're doing Buckler.

Jintor

Try it in Training Mode and check your inputs. You might accidentally be rolling your finger/the stick in a motion that makes the game think you're doing Buckler.

I'm pretty sure I am, but I can't think of a way to get it other than to reset to neutral every time. Maybe i'll use my newer controller with the clickier stick.

Dahbomb

Most of my predictions came true for Texas Showdown.

*Mihe to take it all convincingly
*Sons of Sparda dominance and first major win for both of the Sparda brothers
*First major win for Zero.

Still doesn't feel good considering the tournament didn't have the best players from the WC/EC but a major win is a major win.

Trish made her first grand final appearance too.

Azure J

I'm watching AquaSilk stream Megaman X4 (X run) and damn, it's a crime that X & Sigma aren't in Mahvel. :lol

This stream chat is hilarious too. Lots of Mahvel monsters in it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm watching AquaSilk stream Megaman X4 (X run) and damn, it's a crime that X & Sigma aren't in Mahvel. :lol

This stream chat is hilarious too. Lots of Mahvel monsters in it.

Part of the reason why Aqua doesn't like or play Marvel is cause they shafted Megaman and X.

Dahbomb

Dorm made it to the top four as well and SRK's own Ace made it to the top 8. Mihe and Jan put him out. He learned about Dorm's funky hitboxes.
Dorm already has a major tournament win.

Can anyone fill in the teams for these players?

1st – Mihe (Zero/Vergil/Dante)
2nd – AB Young Chow (Taskmaster/Trish/Hawkeye)
3rd – Jan Del Rio
4th – MA| Scrubeks
5th – Ranmasama
5th – JMC
7th – GoX
7th – NGG Stone

Apparently Mihe demanded that the finals be held today so that he can concentrate on the anime convention tomorrow. And Planet Zero were stupid enough to oblige to him.

I think we should just pretend that Texas Showdown never happened because it's turning out to be the biggest shame in FGC history.

Dahbomb

Yeah I know. I got lucky I turned on the stream and they were like "HEY GUYS WE ARE DOING GRAND FINALS RIGHT NOW". I was like wtf...

Too bad the EVO points awarded to the players there can't be ignored. Texas just like Apex is unfortunately going to be counted as a major tournament for the US.

I made up a preliminary "results" tier list for UMVC3. This is based on a character's best performance in tournaments.

SSS Tier

Wolverine: 3 wins at NEC, SCR and Winterbrawl (definitive best character in the game based on results)

S Tier

Wesker: 2 wins at NEC and Apex
Magneto: 2 wins at Apex and NCR
Akuma: 2 wins at SCR and Winterbrawl

A+ Tier (all 1 wins)

Dormammu: Apex
Iron Fist: SCR
Phoenix: NCR
Doom: NCR
Spencer: NEC
Zero: Texas
Vergil: Texas
Dante: Texas
Storm: Winterbrawl
Frank West: Final Round
Viewtiful Joe: Final Round
Rocket Raccoon: Final Round

A Tier (Grand Finals)

Taskmaster: Texas and SCR
Trish: Texas
Hawkeye: NEC and Texas
Ryu: NEC
Morrigan: Winterbrawl
Sentinel: NCR
Felicia: Final Round
Firebrand: NEC

B Tier (Top 8)

Iron Man: Apex
Strider: NCR
Super Skrull: Apex
Jill: Apex
Haggar: Texas
Viper: Winterbrawl
Amaterasu: Winterbrawl and SCR
Nemesis: Winterbrawl and Apex
Chun Li: Apex
Nova: NCR and Winterbrawl
Deadpool: NCR

C Tier (Top 16)

MODOK: Winterbrawl
Thor: Winterbrawl
Captain America: Winterbrawl and SCR
Chris: Winterbrawl and SCR
Strange: SCR
Hsien Ko: SCR
Arthur: Winterbrawl
Hulk: Texas

D Tier (no notable achievements in a major US tournament)

Phoenix Wright
Ghost Rider
Tron
Shuma Gorath
She Hulk
Spider Man
X-23

Some tournaments I don't have the full data on especially Texas and NEC. Spider Man and X-23 stick out as having no notable accomplishments that I could've found on them in majors. Suffice to say these characters are extremely slept on. All the major tournaments comprise mostly of a combination of characters in the S, A+ and A tiers with occasional/rare appearances from B tiers and C tiers.

I will update again for future tournaments as well. Summer Slam, UFGT, PowerUp, CEO etc.

Mr. Fix

In need of some help here Mahvel-GAF. Actually trying to play the game now. Currently running with Dante-Vergil-Doom (assuming that's the optimal set-up):

Dante
The best way to do the bold cancel, is doing: f-H, (move stick down while at the same time doing the Bold Jump), and as I'm moving forward I hit M, correct?

I'm having trouble connecting the s.H after the j.H - air play - j.h.

Also if I'm at mid-screen, what combo should I be branching of into? I know they're a lot farther after the s.H. Will the otg shot + S reach mid-screen after?

Vergil
Ok, I'm like at a 50/50 when I try to SJ after a Rising Sun cancel whenever I'm in the corner. Mid-screen I'm always getting it right though.

They also fall out of Round Trip after I activate DT and do j.d+H x2. I'm thinking maybe cutting it down to 1 j.d+H, doing Round Trip, then doing Judgement Cut with spiral swords still out holding them in place. Will this work?

Dah, do you still have that Vergil and a Dante write-up perhaps?

Even on Dahbomb's list, Phoenix Wright ranks higher than Spidey!

6MhkR.gif

I wonder how many people saw bar fights today. It was a pretty good turnout and Meep had an absolutely sick X-23. I've never seen someone play the character so methodically. Her XF loops and ability to combo off her terrifyingly good level 3 are insane.

I know this doesn't change anything for her in terms of majors, but she is so ridiculous that I may have to try her just for fun. I always thought she was a decent character in the comics too.

hmm

smurfx

get some go again
I wonder how many people saw bar fights today. It was a pretty good turnout and Meep had an absolutely sick X-23. I've never seen someone play the character so methodically. Her XF loops and ability to combo off her terrifyingly good level 3 are insane.

I know this doesn't change anything for her in terms of majors, but she is so ridiculous that I may have to try her just for fun. I always thought she was a decent character in the comics too.

hmm
you ever play killasasa? his x-23 is so annoying.

Sasa's team is, quite simply, 3 annoying characters. X-23 just stays in the air and then drops on you like a seagull taking a shit. Hawkeye shoots you until you get so annoyed you roll your eyes, which is when he takes advantage of that moment and slides into a combo. And don't even get me started on that wall-crawling menace!

GOD DAMN YOU, SPIDER-MAN!!

TZOGf.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
you see x-23 flying up in the air and think i can throw her surely and that is when she drops her damn claws into your head and combos your ass into oblivion. >:

Dahbomb

Characters within the tiers aren't ranked so Spider Man isn't really below PW in rankings. It doesn't change the fact that Spider Man has no notable appearances in any top 16 of a major just like PW.

Right close to EVO I will have a more detailed results tier list with more statistics and fun data like I had last time. The list will actually be ranked within themselves so someone like Dante will actually be placed higher than IF because he has had more appearances in top 8 across majors.

Of course results =/= actual worth in the game. There is no way anyone can argue with a straight face that Iron Fist and Zero are on par or that Spider Man/X-23 are worse than Hsien Ko. Popularity and player skill is a major factor in character results.

Bizazedo

Big E runs Summer Jam, unless Summer Slam is a different one. I almost hope it is just so I can laugh at the lack of creativity.

Sasa's team is, quite simply, 3 annoying characters. X-23 just stays in the air and then drops on you like a seagull taking a shit. Hawkeye shoots you until you get so annoyed you roll your eyes, which is when he takes advantage of that moment and slides into a combo. And don't even get me started on that wall-crawling menace!

Sounds pretty bad. I might have had a chance in my heyday, but I'm all washed up now. He'd probably kill me easily. I'm still interested in trying X-23 after seeing her play so smoothly though.
I guess even animu money > FGC money.
BB Revolution did have a 12k pot for 1st place. We need more Esports money...

:lol

Solune

In need of some help here Mahvel-GAF. Actually trying to play the game now. Currently running with Dante-Vergil-Doom (assuming that's the optimal set-up):

Dante
The best way to do the bold cancel, is doing: f-H, (move stick down while at the same time doing the Bold Jump), and as I'm moving forward I hit M, correct?

I'm having trouble connecting the s.H after the j.H - air play - j.h.

Also if I'm at mid-screen, what combo should I be branching of into? I know they're a lot farther after the s.H. Will the otg shot + S reach mid-screen after?

Vergil
Ok, I'm like at a 50/50 when I try to SJ after a Rising Sun cancel whenever I'm in the corner. Mid-screen I'm always getting it right though.

They also fall out of Round Trip after I activate DT and do j.d+H x2. I'm thinking maybe cutting it down to 1 j.d+H, doing Round Trip, then doing Judgement Cut with spiral swords still out holding them in place. Will this work?

Dah, do you still have that Vergil and a Dante write-up perhaps?

• I think you meant to say "S" instead of M in this case?
  • You need to delay the first J.H after Air Play. you can also substitute S.H with S.M > S.H
  • After S.H, it is recommended to go into S xx Clay Pigeon xx Prop Shredder > whatever. That's the basic bnb.

• SJ timing shouldn't be all that different in the corner
  • After DT you should dash into 2x Helm Breaker to make sure they don't fall out. Or you can simply do DT > Lunar Phase > Round Trip.

1uN4B.gif

J. Jonah Jameson is da bess. I should've saved that photoshop of him in a red Tron mech.

Probably the best description of my X-23 play too :lol

Fact: X-23 is the best thing Wolverine has had a hand in doing.

She's also crazy fun to play. I think she's the most fun on my team at the anchor position -- really capable and somewhat fraud friendly, hahaha. I'd run a point team for her if I didn't have Spider-Man.

you ever play killasasa? his x-23 is so annoying.

You gotta love XF canceling one character and killing with baby's first combo into dirt nap, otg, baby's first combo for an undeserved win :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom