• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirael

Seriously, what the fuck mannnn.

This definitely isn't what I wanted. Deus_Ex.jpg

The Captivate trailer is SLIGHTLY closer to having what I like about Devil May Cry, (in fact, they seemed to be purposely pointing it out in the gameplay,) but it's still pretty far away.

In better news, my girl is considering buying the DMC HD Collection, which is worth it for DMC3 ALONE. The reason we started dating was thanks in part to the original game, so a lot of good memories there.

smurfx

get some go again
yay finally fought a cosmic lord. first one i've fought if you can believe it. whooped him good too.

EDIT: muahaha just killed my second cosmic lord. its that time again! now if only i could play viscant.

Azure J

I'm kinda wondering what things I should try doing as Strider anchor versus a ground controlling Zero. (i.e lots of Hadangeki, frame traps ending with the H version for the guaranteed chip)

I see that the obvious answer is more robo tigers, but it feels like he closes the gap so fast calling that formation is grounds to get blown up.I'm playing a pretty high risk chicken game as of late where I rush in and depending on how quick I catch him after the move animation, I go into the standard Strider stuff (trying to get some mileage out of Frantic's resets).I'm kinda proud of my Strider, he's been leveling up, but little things like this still kinda elude me.

Nert

Vita Marvel has been making me so salty lately. I think over half of my games today have ended up with me winning and my opponent immediately disconnecting. Seeing so many frauds with 70+ win streaks is disheartening...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ran into a guy with the Rainbow colored Tron tag. I assumed this guy must be amazing with her since really, who the hell is going to use Tron over 100 times? The team was Tron/RR/PW against my Hawkeye/Wesker/Strider. Basically it went like this- if I could create a significant amount of space between me and Tron as soon as the match starts, Tron is basically dead. If Tron hit's me I might as well be dead. Knowing this guy wanted to box dash a lot I did dumb little gimmicks like using slide at the beginning of the round while Tron went over me nearly to the other side of the screen.

This guy did have some cool tech with his team. Since Tron builds so much damn meter he can dhc out of Tron into the RR trap, then DHC into the Maya super. Then PW will collect all the evidence he wants while staying in the middle of the trap. I thought it was a neat idea, too bad I was throwing arrows at the guy though. That's all I got to see of his offense since I just zoned him to death, but I did find this real interesting.

smurfx

get some go again
ugh i can't believe i wasn't doing a very simple relaunch with haggar and taskmaster. i always thought i needed the corner to get the otg but i don't at all.

cCbWT.gif

edit: omg i can otg with task after a haggar throw after all. haha you learn something everyday. well i could do it before but the timing was really strict the way i did it.

mr. puppy

Banned
are you all playing skullgirls? it only has 8 characters, but it kills so many of the problems that has game has had for over a year and i'd recommend it

Dahbomb

I am waiting for PC version of Skullgirls.

Also Combofiend has a new team: She Hulk/Frank/Spencer

Not the team I thought he might be using but at least he still has Spencer...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
From the hour I spent with Skullgirls, you can't really compare it to Marvel much at all. It shares the same kind of team mechanics, but that's about it.

Sixfortyfive

I forgot how much I loathed 2-button throws, and I'm so inept with 6-attack button schemes that it's not even funny. It's going to take a while to adjust. At least the throw tech window is narrow.

mr. puppy

Banned
I am waiting for PC version of Skullgirls.

Also Combofiend has a new team: She Hulk/Frank/Spencer

Not the team I thought he might be using but at least he still has Spencer...

"how to lose to zoning, zero and firebrand all in one team" presented by Combofiend. why the hell doesn't he do spencer/frank/taskmaster since it looks like he wants high health characters.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I played the demo for Skullgirls, was like eh. I'm far too used to 4 button games now. The game isn't exactly pad friendly either.

At least from the hour I spent from the demo I learned enough to beat my not-that-good-at-fighting games-but-still-play-them friends.

Sixfortyfive

It's more pad friendly than I expected it to be, honestly. (Though, I do use 6-face button pads.) I'm not sure how useful 1-button dash is going to be in that game.

Azure J

You know something I didn't think would be as effective as it is against me playing this game? My brother has taken to dashing over a downed team mate multiple times so that when I appear on screen, I come in blocking the wrong way or get the wrong move option selected. It's so strange because I don't know how I didn't see something like that being so effective from beforehand when I was the one who'd get pissed off if I set up and incoming mixup and got too far on one side negating the setup as he'd come from the other.

It's weird how little things like that make you see the game's systems in a different way.

Re: Skullgirls

I'll grab it as soon as I get some MS points to burn. The mostly glowing praise and my own hype for seeing how Reverge did is making it a priority, although I won't lie, a PC release would easily be the one I want most right about now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From the hour I spent with Skullgirls, you can't really compare it to Marvel much at all. It shares the same kind of team mechanics, but that's about it.
Is what I said in the OT. It's kind of a really vague comparison based on very few shared mechanics.

Downloading demo now though. (1.2GB FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU. Life on the 20GB HDD is hard).

Are there videos of that new Combofiend team?

"how to lose to zoning, zero and firebrand all in one team" presented by Combofiend. why the hell doesn't he do spencer/frank/taskmaster since it looks like he wants high health characters.

Knowing him, he probably has realized something about Shulk, or she does exactly what he needs for his team synergy.

Dahbomb

Knowing him, he probably has realized something about Shulk, or she does exactly what he needs for his team synergy.
His team definitely has great team synergy. She Hulk backed up by Shopping Cart is EXTREMELY GOOD as if they block it, they have to deal with She Hulk's mix up vortex. Any grab allows Combo to probably raw tag into either Frank or Spencer for a TOD or level up. Anti air grapple assist allows for grab shenanigans or raw tag crumple stuff too or mix ups on incoming character. Frank with She Hulk and Spencer assist is also legit as he gets unblockables, combo extensions and mix ups against in coming characters. Spencer also does well with both assists combo and mix up/lock down wise.

The problem is that in any configuration, he has to actually get in to utilize any tech. It's a team that will struggle against zoning but once in can lay a serious hurt on them. Also double slides and double anti air grab hypers. Combofiend seems to love those.

Bizazedo

Lot of players seem to be looking at Frank. Makes sense since if he gets level 4....ouch.

I like Justin's version better, though, since it protects Frank in the back and makes it like a mini Dark Phoenix (goes for 3 meters asap, doesn't TAC, doesn't burn meter til then).

Little risky, though.

AzureJericho said:
I'm kinda wondering what things I should try doing as Strider anchor versus a ground controlling Zero. (i.e lots of Hadangeki, frame traps ending with the H version for the guaranteed chip)
Anticipate Hadangeki, Vajra?

mr. puppy

Banned
His team definitely has great team synergy. She Hulk backed up by Shopping Cart is EXTREMELY GOOD as if they block it, they have to deal with She Hulk's mix up vortex. Any grab allows Combo to probably raw tag into either Frank or Spencer for a TOD or level up. Anti air grapple assist allows for grab shenanigans or raw tag crumple stuff too or mix ups on incoming character. Frank with She Hulk and Spencer assist is also legit as he gets unblockables, combo extensions and mix ups against in coming characters. Spencer also does well with both assists combo and mix up/lock down wise.

The problem is that in any configuration, he has to actually get in to utilize any tech. It's a team that will struggle against zoning but once in can lay a serious hurt on them. Also double slides and double anti air grab hypers. Combofiend seems to love those.

synergy and ability are two very different things. you can roll low tier all you want, as long as you put in the basic things a team needs to compete.

like lets take kusoru's team.

Point character that can zone or rushdown (Joe)
Second character that provides a great assist and a good safe DHC (shopping cart super)
Anchor with a great assist and strong xf3

Kusuro has the most important ones I guess: safe DHC out for point character, great neutral assist (shopping cart), great anti-air/zoning assist (log trap)
Then after that he has all the other things: absolutely amazing incoming mixups, anti-phoenix tech, xf3 anchors, ways to chip, ways to team with morrigan etc. etc. etc.

Combofiend's team, aside from having stuff combofiend likes, goes to shit the same way that Noel Brown's does: Frank has nothing to help him get in and do anything and he ends with Dark Spencer and Lvl 1 Frank.

LakeEarth

I love Kusoru's use and abuse of V-Joe's triple jump. You can't use assists when you super jump, but triple jump? No problem.

Triple jump, activate LOG TRAP, do V-Joe's hot kick is so powerful. It's an ambiguous crossup while your opponent's character isn't even on the screen. And you can land the combo afterwards!

Dahbomb

And I would agree with that. Combofiend's team has synergy but not a lot of tools (which is I am assuming what you meant by ability). He has no runaway character, no anti-air assist or even one that helps him get in from full screen, no completely safe DHC option and non-existent zoning of his own. It's not a very versatile team and thus is prone to getting beat by consistent zoning ala Morrigan/Doom.

I mean aside from Frank who has the one assist it's basically just 3 point characters.

I-hate-u

I think Spencer is not as good as an anchor as he was back in vanilla. People knw how to deal with him.

The question is why doesn't Combo go back to Tasky? Frank is a risky tournament character because if things are not going ur way and u can't lvl him up u r in a world of hurt.

I'm wondering how Combo is going to level Frank up. I know that not every Frank user has to have a "gimme level 4 now" team, but it's something to think about. With this team, you're leveling him up the old-fashioned way.

Still, if there's one player that I have the utmost faith in, it would be Combofiend.

I-hate-u

I'm wondering how Combo is going to level Frank up. I know that not every Frank user has to have a "gimme level 4 now" team, but it's something to think about. With this team, you're leveling him up the old-fashioned way.

Still, if there's one player that I have the utmost faith in, it would be Combofiend.

When doing She-Hulk's normal lvl 1 hyper, after the second hit in the air, u DHC into qcb Frank which will cause a hard knockdown and use Spencer's wire assist to get 2 camera shots resulting in lvl 4.

Dahbomb

Or he could probably do something like She Hulk command grab into stun. Raw tag in Frank West, get a fancy combo going, hard knockdown Snap shot + Slant shot into another Snap shot. That's a meterless leveled up Frank West right there.

LakeEarth

I don't think you can get another photo off slant shot. Maybe you can eek it out. It's much easier with vertical shot though, since it causes a hard knockdown.

But slant shot is more useful, so there's a tradeoff.

Kusoru's team is stronger than Combofiend's old team. Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye didn't have a winning game plan. It was just three great characters with expansion assists and resets.

The best teams are turning out to be the ones with a defined path to victory other than dodge and attack, that your opponent has to clearly circumvent before they can establish a presence.

Air to ground + Log trap
Morrigan spam + doom missiles
Dark Phoenix

I like that Vergil is turning into the game's de facto anti-zoning character.

We'll see how much you cry when they introduce Vergil Jr. into DmC.

bhEfM.png

"Oi, Dino baby! Wanna let off some steam? You been lookin wicked stressed lately, bro. I got me some poppers, wanna tag team some broad down at Mackie's Tavern?"

Azure J

Anticipate Hadangeki, Vajra?

As much as it's helped in the past, this isn't cutting it anymore. :lol

It's cool though, the ninja's leveling up and already I don't feel handicapped whenever I have to deal with things using him solo. There's so many nasty resets he can get off of baby mode things.

God's Beard is speaking the truth regarding Vergil as the anti-zoner btw. Also, fucking :lol at that pic.

kirblar

"Oi, Dino baby! Wanna let off some steam? You been lookin wicked stressed lately, bro. I got me some poppers, wanna tag team some broad down at Mackie's Tavern?"

Straight people use those? Or is that the joke? :p

mr. puppy

Banned
Kusoru's team is stronger than Combofiend's old team. Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye didn't have a winning game plan. It was just three great characters with expansion assists and resets.

The best teams are turning out to be the ones with a defined path to victory other than dodge and attack, that your opponent has to clearly circumvent before they can establish a presence.

Air to ground + Log trap
Morrigan spam + doom missiles
Dark Phoenix

well the log trap thing is kinda like Firebrand at the moment....one guy makes it work and the theory is there for it, but something about this game is holding both of them back and nobody really has any idea wtf it is right now.

smurfx

get some go again
damn i fought this guy called respecthemayor and he had a god like haggar team. he accepted my friend request and so i shall have many haggar wars hopefully.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nerfing Hawkeye would be like nerfing She-Hulk. Why would you do something like that to a character that's not good in the first place?

wait

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
All it takes is one major. I think Hawkeye is one of those characters that if people see the proper zoning he can do, people will cry for the nerf. Just like Morrigan.

<3 Hawkguy

smurfx

get some go again
naw hawkeye is still balanced in his zoning. you can get around it if you have patience. plus he is also punishable on a lot of his moves. morrigan's fireball hell on the other hand isn't as balanced as you can't really do much about it unless you have the right characters.

naw hawkeye is still balanced in his zoning. you can get around it if you have patience. plus he is also punishable on a lot of his moves. morrigan's fireball hell on the other hand isn't as balanced as you can't really do much about it unless you have the right characters.

The only thing that makes Morrigan's zoning difficult is her assists. Take them out and you take out what makes her threatening.

Hawkeye due to multi projectiles and Vergil's whiff actually can give Vergil issues. And he can make his arrows safe by cancelling into poison or spritzer.

Hawkeye is dabess. Not quite busted but pretty damn good. I haven't seen a super-powered Hawkeye quite yet though - I'd love to see what one could do. He's an MFer on his own already.

Speaking of Hawkeye, I think mine finally evolved from a Fraudeye into an actual Hawkeye. Gonna keep leveling him till he turns into a Clint.

Also, I'm thinking he meant make slides safe. And to me, it still feels vulnerable after a poison tip, less so after a freeze shot though. Been punished on it but maybe I misjudged how fast he recovers from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom