• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble figuring out how to beat Morrigan/Doom spam with Dormammu on point.

I can kill her off a Chaotic Flame for two bars, but I need that extra bar first and Dorm doesn't have a lot of quick meter options. So far it's just block until I get the bar, blast her, DHC to Spencer then combo the hell out of her.

I'm considering learning Spencer/Vergil/Magneto to deal with more matchups.

Aim for killing Doom when he pops in as an assist.

I swear to god there are players who have opportunity after opportunity to do this with characters who have hypers that are practically made for killing assists, AND THEY NEVER DO IT.

I just feel like playing Spencer/Phoenix/Magneto today.
Aim for killing Doom when he pops in as an assist.

I swear to god there are players who have opportunity after opportunity to do this with characters who have hypers that are practically made for killing assists, AND THEY NEVER DO IT.

Hmm. That's true, but if I can hold out for the one bar I can kill both with DHC to Lancer x-factor bionic bomber.

TACs don't seem reactable to me, it's all in the meta. I would say Noel's Frank TAC works 90% of the time. TACs with Frank is a risk indeed, but I classify using Frank as a risk in itself much like Phoenix. So your more prone to go for those high risk/high reward strategies in order to level Frank up anyways rather than solo it out with much more limited success. You sign up for the chance-based game when you put Frank on your team.

TAC is Rock Paper Scissors, and there's nothing random about Rock Paper Scissors. Noel Brown's TACs always worked previously because he abused the fact that everyone underestimated the power of the up exchange and never though of counting it. Now people realize that they have to counter up against him, and he's forced to go for side and down exchanges and all you need is to counter him once to break the momentum of his team. Yeah, I feel that Wolverine doesn't seem to be that good of a partner for West, but Noel obviously likes West and Wolverine a lot and won't think of dropping either of them.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It is random in Marvel because in actual rps can't like, not respond. In Marvel you have to know it's even coming in the first place to counter it. Of course people like Noel Brown always go for exchanges. And you are going to try and counter it because you know it's coming.

And let's say you're mashing direction + S to counter. You're opponent can just not go for exchange and instead go for a reset. Wherin you're boned because you're mashing S like an idiot.

Azure J

Also saw these from my subscriptions uploaded by GeMStuff, made by TQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYXeP15S5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDTKxpzC8U

Holy shit @ 2:10 - 2:13 in the multi character video. Why didn't I think about TK Volcanoes working like that? :O

I deff don't have the execution for it, but it'd be cool to try out sometime. I'm trying to find something I can abuse between Jump Cancel Teleporting after one, Stinger - Bold Canceled Fly shenanigans while in Devil Trigger, Dash/Bold Canceled Helm Splitter or mix ups where you teleport during the animation in an attack in the magic series while calling an assist. I guess I just want to innovate something small. :p

On that Dante then and now vid: I was right all along, Dante was the top tier in that game, JEEEEEEAN and Logan would just have been heralds if it developed any further.

EDIT: @ 7:03. That's what the Devil May Cry anime should have been. :lol

I wonder why nobody plays Firebrand/Morrigan/Doom.

Well, I guess you'd have to call Doom before the combo ends to do the unblockable, so you couldn't use it to fish for an opening.
I've considered Dormammu/Morrigan/Doom. Seems like a really vicious combination. I've also considered Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix. I really hate anchoring Doom, though...or using him in general.

MastaCj getting his fraudalent Dorm finally exposed? Well guess he needs to actually learn Dorm.
Since he treats Dormammu like Magneto with vertical crossups, he'll probably just complain.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to beat Morrigan/Doom spam with Dormammu on point.

I can kill her off a Chaotic Flame for two bars, but I need that extra bar first and Dorm doesn't have a lot of quick meter options. So far it's just block until I get the bar, blast her, DHC to Spencer then combo the hell out of her.

I'm considering learning Spencer/Vergil/Magneto to deal with more matchups.
I usually just superjump while spamming meter assist. If someone wants to get 100K chip on me while I build 3 bars, I'm fine with that trade.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

Azure J

Please tell me everyone's watching Live Oratory right now. Yipes vs. MarlinPie is some godlike shit. Yipes is also new BESS DANTSON. /lame

To quote myself from chat:

Azurejerichogaf: Yipes is like Red to MarlinPie's Gold/Silver: Beats curley mustache, travels through kanto then gets his ass WHOPPED by son in mount silver/live oratory

damn killasasa is almost at master lord. :O damn let me catch up! i'm almost a quarter bar behind.

How do you know? Is it at 100,000 XBL monster points?

I have no idea how many points you win/lose per win/loss. I'm just looking for good matches where people run cheap stuff...gonna move to player matches and more actual matchmaking soon.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I wanted to be dedicated to rank matches when Ultimate came out. I got to 7th Lord in like a week. But I saw my win record was pretty good I thought that if I continued any further it would be all downhill from there. So I retired on top :)

I've considered Dormammu/Morrigan/Doom. Seems like a really vicious combination. I've also considered Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix. I really hate anchoring Doom, though...or using him in general.

Since he treats Dormammu like Magneto with vertical crossups, he'll probably just complain.

I usually just superjump while spamming meter assist. If someone wants to get 100K chip on me while I build 3 bars, I'm fine with that trade.

What if I don't have a meter assist?

Right now I'm playing
Dormammu/Spencer/Magneto
Spencer/Phoenix/Magneto
Magneto/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon

Should I just super jump, fly then charge 3D0C all day between the missiles? How do you plan around Hawkeye and counter zoning in general as Dormammu?

Azure J

That's actually a cool idea. Top five (most fun) from me would probably look like:

Dante
Phoenix
Strider
Felicia
Amaterasu

With Spencer, Dormammu and Mags getting honorable mentions.

Oh my god, I'm having so much fun with Spencer/Phoenix/Magneto right now. Resets all day.

Phoenix has so many options after a slant shot assist.

• Box jump ambiguous crossup
  • crossup/fake crossup teleport into tridash/overhead
  • tick throw
  • continue the combo into air tag skip to magneto
  • continue the combo, air tag to spencer, then back to phoenix, then to magneto and build 3-5 bars
  • snap
  • lay trap, tag out
  • toss fireball H

DR2K

Banned
Oh my god, I'm having so much fun with Spencer/Phoenix/Magneto right now. Resets all day.

Phoenix has so many options after a slant shot assist.

• Box jump ambiguous crossup
  • crossup/fake crossup teleport into tridash/overhead
  • tick throw
  • continue the combo into air tag skip to magneto
  • continue the combo, air tag to spencer, then back to phoenix, then to magneto and build 3-5 bars
  • snap
  • lay trap, tag out
  • toss fireball H

My troll team has Phoenix on point for those reasons.

Top 5 most fun for me:
1) Phoenix
2) Dormammu
3) Morrigan
4) Skrull
5) Firebrand

Basically, my favorite characters all have shitty assists. Thanks Capcom!

After that, probably Trish, Deadpool, Sentinel, Akuma, Magneto. All good assists, but not for the kind of team I want.

rexor0717

Phoenix has always looked like a really fun character. I've been considering picking her up since the beginning. Sad to see all the anti-phoenix technology.

mr. puppy

Banned
omfg log trap knocks morrigan out of the top corner of the screen while morridoom's bullshit is happening. it blows up that, vajra and like anybody approaching a keep away character o_0

Community question: should characters be able to throw during air dashes? I think we would be better off without the mindless option selects, and you can't ground throw from a ground dash for a good reason it seems.

omfg log trap knocks morrigan out of the top corner of the screen while morridoom's bullshit is happening. it blows up that, vajra and like anybody approaching a keep away character o_0
It's funny how many assist opportunities Dormammu has to pass up on just because he's so slow (heck, both of my mains are).

What if I don't have a meter assist?

Right now I'm playing
Dormammu/Spencer/Magneto
Spencer/Phoenix/Magneto
Magneto/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon

Should I just super jump, fly then charge 3D0C all day between the missiles? How do you plan around Hawkeye and counter zoning in general as Dormammu?
I haven't played against a lot of Morrigan/Doom, so my theorycraft is weak, but doesn't the combination of EM Disruptor and Purification make it pretty hard for Morrigan to start her shenanigans? I also wouldn't forget about the power of just s.Ming one of Morrigan's fireballs and then throwing a Dark Hole out there. I think charging Dark Spells in the air against Morrigan/Doom sounds unrealistic. You're bound to get hit way too much.

If you let Morrigan get the fireball stream started with the second image, I really don't think there's a whole lot you can do aside from trying to superjump around to avoid chip damage while it wears off.

Azure J

'm in the lab right now, messing with Strider to see if I can summon a Satellite mid wall hug combo. (With satellite equipped, M - H - f.H - Gram L - Launch Satellite Bomb - Wall Cling - (wait for opponent to get hit by explosion) L - H xx Gram H - *in theory, second satellite summon goes here* - dash up and:

S - j. M - j. H - j.S - deploy Satellite - yadda yadda

or

Gram L - Tiger xx Teleport L/M *reset* - M - H - f.H - Gram L...

I'm probably doing something redundant, but hey I like knowing the full extent of what a character can do in a given situation.

Onemic

Thinking or changing my 2nd team to Wesker/vergil/IM, with Ironman having a beam assist to let wesker close in easy and create mixups. Of course Vergils there to use all that meter Weskers been building. Would this be a good team?

Azure J

Is it just me or is everything about Dante's Stinger Lvl. 2 glitched when you do it off a Cold Shower? On a standing opponent I get a weird thing happen to me where the stab comes from behind them (translation: I'm solo left-righting). Even crazier is when I input the Bold Cancel Teleport, I wind up right back in front where I started.

Ex. My training mode dummy is Frank. When I do Cold Shower - Stinger, we're like this

D--->F

When I do this Cold Shower - Stinger - BC Teleport, the game acts like this:

D--->F
D--->Fx
t.D--->F

Where the arrow indicates which direction Stinger is traveling in, x is the place the game registers me hitting Frank and t.D is where I teleport to with the BC Teleport.

Azure J

Better than wrapping your head around how to Bold Cancel Teleport and abusing the fuck out of it one day only for you to forget the rhythm to forward Heavy, ATK+S & Down Down S and mash the fuck out of them to mixed results. :(

Nothing I hate more in games and in life than losing track of a learned skill.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Uh sometimes when I go for Wesker's otg gunshot -> level 3 I blank and just do xfactor. That suuuuucks.

Also I've xfactored during the start of Ouroboros, wasting 3 bars.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE losing games because I botched Frank's camera shot.

*Has a flashback to the last tournament I played*

...Tell me about it.

Speaking of tournaments, tomorrow is going to be the biggest tournament we've had in this city and I haven't had the chance to play in 2 weeks, so wish me luck and hope that I at least don't go 0-2 or embarass myself on stream (more than usual) -.-;

Tobe

*Has a flashback to the last tournament I played*

...Tell me about it.

Speaking of tournaments, tomorrow is going to be the biggest tournament we've had in this city and I haven't had the chance to play in 2 weeks, so wish me luck and hope that I at least don't go 0-2 or embarass myself on stream (more than usual) -.-;

is it getting streamed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom