• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hawkeye is that character everyone was like FFUUUUUUUU SO OP pre-launch but ended up being all "I'm okay with this." Good roster addition IMO.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What arrows are you talking about?
Probably s.H.

Hawkeye is a beast when he has an assist to supplement his ranged game and fill in some holes in his offense. I've felt that he was overrated on anchor since week 1, and I think a lot of people still make the mistake of using him as an assist character and putting him in anchor position.

Are there videos of that new Combofiend team?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxA10K_y7Yk&feature=player_embedded

Can't say I am impressed by it. I kind of wish he would replace She Hulk with Thor as he is being slept on and has the potential to be a Combofiend character. And like it or not he has an easier time getting in on people than She Hulk.

I think Spencer is not as good as an anchor as he was back in vanilla. People knw how to deal with him.

The question is why doesn't Combo go back to Tasky? Frank is a risky tournament character because if things are not going ur way and u can't lvl him up u r in a world of hurt.

What exactly does he gain from going back to Task? Back at vanilla Task was becoming the weakest link to his team as time went by.

His Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye team is alright, he just needs to level his Nova up. Because weeks ago Infrit looks like a Combofiend wannabe but nowadays his Nova has exceeded Combofiend's already.

Dahbomb

Hawkeye is that character everyone was like FFUUUUUUUU SO OP pre-launch but ended up being all "I'm okay with this." Good roster addition IMO.
He was a bit OP pre-launch (although even in my personal rankings I only had him at 4th best). His poison arrows did way more damage than they do now, like 180K unscaled before or so.

Hawkeye is "balanced" in that just on pure match ups he can fight most characters in the game quite well but doesn't ROFL stomp them unless they are the C tier type characters (like Chun, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist etc). He shouldn't get nerfed at all, he's exactly where he should be. Taskmaster as well should stay exactly where he is.

We'll see how much you cry when they introduce Vergil Jr. into DmC.
I know you don't know much about the DMC series but... Capcom has already pulled this off in DMC4.

Bizazedo

Fun games Tobe. Sorry I had to run.

Is that your new main team you're working on? If so, have you ever thought of putting Magneto on point to build meter for Morrigan?

Magneto / Morrigan / Doom maybe?

mr. puppy

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxA10K_y7Yk&feature=player_embedded

Can't say I am impressed by it. I kind of wish he would replace She Hulk with Thor as he is being slept on and has the potential to be a Combofiend character. And like it or not he has an easier time getting in on people than She Hulk.

What exactly does he gain from going back to Task? Back at vanilla Task was becoming the weakest link to his team as time went by.

His Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye team is alright, he just needs to level his Nova up. Because weeks ago Infrit looks like a Combofiend wannabe but nowadays his Nova has exceeded Combofiend's already.

what the fuck is wrong with the professional players of this game. that entire video should be called "america sucks at marvel." those teams.....smh.

I really want Noel to find a more reliable way to level Frank up than by TACing, either that or he might have to find a new character to replace Frank, I don't see him dropping Wolverine or Wesker, though I think it would help him to find a character to replace Wolverine that is better suited for leveling Frank. I'm not at my PS3 at the moment but can Frank get a picture if you DHC into Survival Techniques before the last shot of Million Dollars?

Bizazedo

I think it's interesting from a ... I dunno the term for it, but it's interesting to watch Noel slowly start to do worse at tourneys as everyone else levels up / their teams get better.

They say Marvel is random, but....it's really a lot less than people (who have generally just lost) would like to admit.

Still always needs to be 3/5, though.

mr. puppy

Banned
I think it's interesting from a ... I dunno the term for it, but it's interesting to watch Noel slowly start to do worse at tourneys as everyone else levels up / their teams get better.

They say Marvel is random, but....it's really a lot less than people (who have generally just lost) would like to admit.

people aren't levelling up their teams, they're just good at fighting games.

if pr rog actually learned some new combos, Spencer/Dante/Felicia would be awesome, but he keeps using her stupid assist instead of the low hitting one

Bizazedo

if pr rog actually learned some new combos, Spencer/Dante/Felicia would be awesome, but he keeps using her stupid assist instead of the low hitting one

Eh, if that were true, Noel would've always been losing at the times he does instead of rocking out at tournaments early on and then fading slightly.

Either that or he's not focusing as much on Marvel.

Combofiend is obsessed with slides and anti-air grabs.

I'm always leveling up my teams, and that's why I'm not very good at fighting games.

Dahbomb

It's because Noel's team was never really that good but because his team had little changes going from Vanilla, he basically rode off of that. Most people had a lot of changes plus they tried out new characters for more than just their assists so there was a little adjustment period. Now the adjustment period is over and people have figured out that Wesker + Wolverine isn't some end game combo, not even close. The people who have upgraded their tech/optimized their teams are seeing results.

It's also why MastaCJ dominated early on but is now pretty much exposed (and going on rants against Marvel). It's also interesting to note that PRBalrog who started off by winning a tournament in Marvel has gone slightly down with each tournament because the whole 3 point character thing isn't end game either obviously.

Marvel is random to those people who think they can win with these characters. It's because they don't have full understanding of the game. I bet if you asked Noel Brown about Firebrand he would think the character is ass. This is the same community which thought Viper was mid tier for a good portion of Vanilla's time.

I wonder why nobody plays Firebrand/Morrigan/Doom.

Well, I guess you'd have to call Doom before the combo ends to do the unblockable, so you couldn't use it to fish for an opening.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know you don't know much about the DMC series but... Capcom has already pulled this off in DMC4.
I bought DMC4 new for $1 last year and have yet to finish it. Once I heard you have to play through the game again and fight those same bosses I said fuck this shitty game design. I was already pretty frustrated with the archaic UI and the game asking me 100 things before I get to the title screen.

I also bought Bionic Commando and haven't finished it, and I hate to say it but I have more motivation to go back and play that mediocre game than DMC4.

EDIT: Fight For Youth #2

Azure J

Well, I guess you'd have to call Doom before the combo ends to do the unblockable, so you couldn't use it to fish for an opening.

I remember Karst playing something similar to this with Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan.

1) Doom isn't that good of an anchor
2) Morrigan sucks in the middle position, not much ways to escape incoming mixups and Finishing Shower is the worst hyper in this game
3) Both Firebrand and Morrigan are characters you need to build around to be effective
4) Firebrand needs a better lockdown assist than Hidden missiles, he needs Cold Star, Tenderizer or Repulsor Blast to set up his unblockables.

Dahbomb

I bought DMC4 new for $1 last year and have yet to finish it. Once I heard you have to play through the game again and fight those same bosses I said fuck this shitty game design. I was already pretty frustrated with the archaic UI and the game asking me 100 things before I get to the title screen.
You do realize you fight with a completely different character right? And there are new enemies when you do the "back track" plus there are some new areas and boss fights too. If you got upset with that UI, which isn't even that bad, I have no idea how you are still playing Marvel.

LMAO @ not finishing a $1 game. Especially when that game had the best combat engine in an action game this generation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23c_HDPo7Y&feature=related

The Vergil shuffle is cool, keeps opponent in standing position although I would much rather just do a regular combo into Dark Angel. That's the kind of stuff that would be bad ass in a DMC game combo video but in a fighting game you just want to go for the efficient stuff.

Kind of off the topic of Marvel but is it just me or did twitch actually take steps to prevent ads from desyncing people watching the stream? I just noticed now as I started watching the ARMSHOUSE stream that when the ad played the stream kept playing in the background, and as far as I know it didn't do that before.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You do realize you fight with a completely different character right? And there are new enemies when you do the "back track" plus there are some new areas and boss fights too. If you got upset with that UI, which isn't even that bad, I have no idea how you are still playing Marvel.

LMAO @ not finishing a $1 game. Especially when that game had the best combat engine in an action game this generation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23c_HDPo7Y&feature=related

The Vergil shuffle is cool, keeps opponent in standing position although I would much rather just do a regular combo into Dark Angel. That's the kind of stuff that would be bad ass in a DMC game combo video but in a fighting game you just want to go for the efficient stuff.

Who could blame him? He looks nearly identical to Dante. If someone told me that all of the sudden in DMC4 Dante got some crazy arm and was voiced by a Power Ranger I'd believe them.

I know he meets Dante in the game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I have no problem with Marvel's UI. I'm talking menus and shit, not a HUD, the HUD is fine. The way you save and everything is ripped straight out of a PS1 game and not integrated with the 360 at all. Continually popping in and out of guide menus, etc. It's something early gen Capcom games suffer from bad. Almost takes as long to get into a game as it does Ultimate.

Plus, I have way more games than I have time to play. Sitting on many unopened games. That steam syndrome extended to console games is the worst.

Dahbomb

I have no problem with Marvel's UI. I'm talking menus and shit, not a HUD, the HUD is fine. The way you save and everything is ripped straight out of a PS1 game and not integrated with the 360 at all. Continually popping in and out of guide menus, etc. It's something early gen Capcom games suffer from bad. Almost takes as long to get into a game as it does Ultimate.
I don't understand this issue at all. First of all it wasn't until DMC3 that Capcom used this new menu system for the series and there is a reason for it (explained in the next paragraph). I have been playing Capcom games since before the PS1 era and those games actually had a rather basic menu system. This is really more of a thing they had in the current generation especially with games like RE5 and LP2.

When you start the game you press Start -> Load Game and it takes you to a new menu. This new menu is to select from various things like Missions, Characters, Difficulties, Costumes, Cutscenes, Bloody Palace and a few other things. It might not make sense to someone who put in 10 minutes to the game but after you beat the game once or twice you will love this menu because you can easily play the character/mission/difficulty you want without having to go through some other menu/options crap. You also make move/ability/item purchases through this menu system which is of course a core part of the game.

DMC games are built on massive replay value and this menu system is to streamline that process (yes it actually saves you time in the end if you really invest into the game). But for you, I would recommend getting the new DmC when it comes out. I am sure it won't have the same menu problems because it's not going to have the same level of options and depth as a real DMC game anyway.

Uggh, I'm so close.

886,600 damage meterless with Spencer/Vergil/Magneto off an overhead.

I don't get the timing for the jS xx wire shot, wire shot, up grapple people always do after OTG grapple. I always just do delayed jS, upgrapple.

Bayonetta > DMC4, hell I would say Bayonetta is better than DMC 1 and 3.

Kamiya really outdid himself (and everyone else in the industry). Now he needs to move his lazy ass, stop fucking around with idiots on twitter and give us a sequel.

Dahbomb

I only made a comment on the combat engine and in that regard DMC4 is superior to Bayonetta's. Way more depth and execution requirement with DMC4 to reach its theoretical max.

Overall Bayonetta is the better game for sure, better level design, features etc.

Is Rocket Raccoon a good anchor? What exactly is his best position?

Not really. Low health and struggling to deal a lot of damage can be really crippling for an anchor. I'd say his best position is second if you wanna go for the log trap assist, but if you're determined to anchor him, you probably could make him work.

Dahbomb

Problem with RR at anchor isn't that he has low health or does low damage (XFLVL3 herp derp) it's that outside of air throw he has little answer to up/back. Teleport is unsafe even in XF but can at least get him in range to throw someone and his air to air hitconfirms are difficult to execute. If he does manage to kill a character via XFC, then he can probably force an unblockable set up on incoming.

He's playable and definitely worth his place on the team for the assist but he isn't a top anchor unless you want to lame it out in which case he gets the job done thanks to trap.

Swag combo video

I really want Noel to find a more reliable way to level Frank up than by TACing, either that or he might have to find a new character to replace Frank, I don't see him dropping Wolverine or Wesker, though I think it would help him to find a character to replace Wolverine that is better suited for leveling Frank. I'm not at my PS3 at the moment but can Frank get a picture if you DHC into Survival Techniques before the last shot of Million Dollars?

Why should he stop using TACs to help level up Frank? If it works, it works.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't understand this issue at all. First of all it wasn't until DMC3 that Capcom used this new menu system for the series and there is a reason for it (explained in the next paragraph). I have been playing Capcom games since before the PS1 era and those games actually had a rather basic menu system. This is really more of a thing they had in the current generation especially with games like RE5 and LP2.

When you start the game you press Start -> Load Game and it takes you to a new menu. This new menu is to select from various things like Missions, Characters, Difficulties, Costumes, Cutscenes, Bloody Palace and a few other things. It might not make sense to someone who put in 10 minutes to the game but after you beat the game once or twice you will love this menu because you can easily play the character/mission/difficulty you want without having to go through some other menu/options crap. You also make move/ability/item purchases through this menu system which is of course a core part of the game.

DMC games are built on massive replay value and this menu system is to streamline that process (yes it actually saves you time in the end if you really invest into the game). But for you, I would recommend getting the new DmC when it comes out. I am sure it won't have the same menu problems because it's not going to have the same level of options and depth as a real DMC game anyway.
I assume you haven't played it on 360 then. When you go to save I believe, and more specifically like 2-3 times before you even get past the start screen you get popups from the 360 guide (the thing that comes up when you press the Xbox button) on what storage device to save from, whether your sure you want to like 8 times, etc. It's not integrated into the 360 firmware at all like every other game from launch has been. It's a hassle to get through the menus. Do you understand now?

Relax dude, I'm not implying the game is shit or anything and I haven't commented on the game itself at all, so I don't know why your going off on that. From the 3-4 hours I've played, I've liked the combat. But when I have so many other games to play, it's really demotivating that you have to jump through hoops to get your game running because of some lazy port or implementation they have, and then realize that the game is gonna throw you back through the game one more at the end. It's the equivalent of backtracking in other games, and I'm not a fan of that kind of artificial extension of gameplay, as much as you may savour it for the rewards in the combat system.

Dahbomb

I guess I just don't find these things to be that bothersome. I mean you run into the same thing with games like Dead Rising, Lost Planet 1/2 and Resident Evil 5 on 360 so I guess I am used to it by now anyway. Those games and DMC4 have bigger issues than just hold long it takes to get you to the start menu.

The 1/3rd of the game retreading in DMC4 sucks for sure, it's a major hype killer for the game especially when it first came out.

Kamiya really outdid himself (and everyone else in the industry). Now he needs to move his lazy ass, stop fucking around with idiots on twitter and give us a sequel.

Yeah....no.

Vergil shuffle is great. Never saw that before.

Grecco

It's also interesting to note that PRBalrog who started off by winning a tournament in Marvel has gone slightly down with each tournament because the whole 3 point character thing isn't end game either obviously.

I dont think that has anything to do with it. PR Rog Got seccond in FR and Third in NCR after winning that tourney , which is still fantastic results

The reality is no one was going to beat Kusuro, and Rog just lost to Knives (Who plays a much worse team essentially) who was having the tounrey of his life. His team composition has nothing to do with his results.

Pretty sure Chris G has used Firebrand instead of Akuma. Well he used to. He then dropped him again.

Why should he stop using TACs to help level up Frank? If it works, it works.

The problem is that after getting a hit he still has to play one more guessing game to get the level, it just feels like it's way to chance based, and if he fails to get one TAC or even drops the combo with Frank (which does happen) he has to get another hit and then guess the TAC all over again. What happens when people start reacting to TAC colours (however unlikely that may be)? That team is down the drain. Basically it kind of works for now, and it's already starting to lose effectiveness, so he either has to change it or find a better way to do it with his current team.

Also saw these from my subscriptions uploaded by GeMStuff, made by TQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYXeP15S5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDTKxpzC8U

Dante would have been a serious problem if they didn't nerf him, now he's just a regular problem.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TACs don't seem reactable to me, it's all in the meta. I would say Noel's Frank TAC works 90% of the time. TACs with Frank is a risk indeed, but I classify using Frank as a risk in itself much like Phoenix. So your more prone to go for those high risk/high reward strategies in order to level Frank up anyways rather than solo it out with much more limited success. You sign up for the chance-based game when you put Frank on your team.

mr. puppy

Banned
TACs don't seem reactable to me, it's all in the meta. I would say Noel's Frank TAC works 90% of the time. TACs with Frank is a risk indeed, but I classify using Frank as a risk in itself much like Phoenix. So your more prone to go for those high risk/high reward strategies in order to level Frank up anyways rather than solo it out with much more limited success. You sign up for the chance-based game when you put Frank on your team.

funny thing, if you go back to Kusoru vs PR Rog, Kusoru went for the TAC like every single combo and never got Frank in. Thats one thing that I was really impressed by with PR Rogs play.

actually, it was the only thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
funny thing, if you go back to Kusoru vs PR Rog, Kusoru went for the TAC like every single combo and never got Frank in. Thats one thing that I was really impressed by with PR Rogs play.

Maybe he was predictable about it? There's so many elements of the TAC that are confusing from a competitive perspective. I can see why people dislike it.

Grecco

Pretty sure he was always or mostly going for up in TAC. If you TAC like a moron its gonna get countered.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to beat Morrigan/Doom spam with Dormammu on point.

I can kill her off a Chaotic Flame for two bars, but I need that extra bar first and Dorm doesn't have a lot of quick meter options. So far it's just block until I get the bar, blast her, DHC to Spencer then combo the hell out of her.

I'm considering learning Spencer/Vergil/Magneto to deal with more matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom