• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Community question: should characters be able to throw during air dashes? I think we would be better off without the mindless option selects, and you can't ground throw from a ground dash for a good reason it seems.

It's funny how many assist opportunities Dormammu has to pass up on just because he's so slow (heck, both of my mains are).

I haven't played against a lot of Morrigan/Doom, so my theorycraft is weak, but doesn't the combination of EM Disruptor and Purification make it pretty hard for Morrigan to start her shenanigans? I also wouldn't forget about the power of just s.Ming one of Morrigan's fireballs and then throwing a Dark Hole out there. I think charging Dark Spells in the air against Morrigan/Doom sounds unrealistic. You're bound to get hit way too much.

If you let Morrigan get the fireball stream started with the second image, I really don't think there's a whole lot you can do aside from trying to superjump around to avoid chip damage while it wears off.
Yeah morrigan normally isn't that big a deal. I'm not too afraid to counter attack in that situation. But like you said, the clone fucks me up and I get scared. That's mostly what I was wondering about, but if you don't know the answer I'm hopeless.

That said, I did forget about canceling with 2M. I wonder if I can dodge with 2M xx flight. Does attacking projectiles build meter?

Karst: You can't ground throw from a ground dash because you can generally crouch cancel it then throw. It's a necessity for a lot of characters as a movement issue, especially since airthrows are the only option for a lot of characters against up back.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Karst: You can't ground throw from a ground dash because you can generally crouch cancel it then throw. It's a necessity for a lot of characters as a movement issue, especially since airthrows are the only option for a lot of characters against up back.

I think he's talking about how dumb it is that every airdash is an OS. If a character is up backing the airdash OS doesn't really apply unless you are right next to the character chicken blocking. But at that point you wouldn't go for an airdash I don't think.

Yeah morrigan normally isn't that big a deal. I'm not too afraid to counter attack in that situation. But like you said, the clone fucks me up and I get scared. That's mostly what I was wondering about, but if you don't know the answer I'm hopeless.

That said, I did forget about canceling with 2M. I wonder if I can dodge with 2M xx flight. Does attacking projectiles build meter?
Attacking projectiles does not build meter unless your name is Shuma-Gorath, unfortunately. An underused trick might help you: if you're in the air and use aerial Liberation, you'll be brought to the ground. If you input Chaotic Flame pretty much the moment after you use aerial Liberation, you cancel into it. So, you can superjump to bait your opponent into thinking Hidden Missiles is safe.

I think the best overall answer is to just not give Morrigan any breathing room to start Astral Vision, though.

I know, but don't you agree that it would be silly if f.H was an option select during ground dashes? That's the point I'm getting at. Wouldn't this game be better if you couldn't get the OS while air dashing just by using MH?

I think he's talking about how dumb it is that every airdash is an OS. If a character is up backing the airdash OS doesn't really apply unless you are right next to the character chicken blocking. But at that point you wouldn't go for an airdash I don't think.
Yessir.

Tirael

I'm pretty sure botching something as simple as a hadoken motion feels much worse.

To be fair, Frank's camera timing is usually pretty tight.

Piercing Bolt going through Sent spit/Unibeam/Plasma beam is one of the most beautiful things in this game.

I know, it make sense that Hawkeye would be an amazing zoner, and that his zoning tactics beat out a lot of other zoning tactics. I really like that, flavor-wise. Also it's called PIERCING Bolt for a reason.

An underused trick might help you: if you're in the air and use aerial Liberation, you'll be brought to the ground. If you input Chaotic Flame pretty much the moment after you use aerial Liberation, you cancel into it. So, you can superjump to bait your opponent into thinking Hidden Missiles is safe.

This is why I love you, Karsticles.

...holy shit. If you 2M xx Liberation 0, you can block the front AND back fireballs with the clones. Problem solved?

I know, but don't you agree that it would be silly if f.H was an option select during ground dashes? That's the point I'm getting at. Wouldn't this game be better if you couldn't get the OS while air dashing just by using MH?
But how would you air throw someone super jumping around if you couldn't airdash into it? There's no way to cancel air dashes other than moves. If flight had a 1-frame startup that'd work, but then people would just bitch about that.

Of all the things to nerf on Wesker, why did they nerf his super counter!?

EDIT: I'm thinking about trying a team with Firebrand out of curiosity. Who are some good teammates for him?

This is why I love you, Karsticles.

...holy shit. If you 2M xx Liberation 0, you can block the front AND back fireballs with the clones. Problem solved?
Hmm. That might work, but it seems difficult to do in practice. Let me know how it goes?

But how would you air throw someone super jumping around if you couldn't airdash into it? There's no way to cancel air dashes other than moves. If flight had a 1-frame startup that'd work, but then people would just bitch about that.
The same way every character without an air dash gets an air throw. :p

Of all the things to nerf on Wesker, why did they nerf his super counter!?

EDIT: I'm thinking about trying a team with Firebrand out of curiosity. Who are some good teammates for him?
Yeah, even as a Wesker hater, I wish that wouldn't have been nerfed. It was the one thing he had that took brain cells to use.

Regarding Firebrand, he loves assists that pin the opponent for unblockables (Cold Stars) and arrow/bullet/dagger assist(s) because he's very good at crossing opponent's up through aerial maneuvers. I think Amaterasu might actually be his best partner, since Okami Shuffle gives him an unblockable setup if you THC on an incoming character AFAIK. Dark Harmonizer is pretty mean for him. Stalking Flare and Round Harvest (AFAIK) also give him easy unblockables.

smurfx

get some go again
Community question: should characters be able to throw during air dashes? I think we would be better off without the mindless option selects, and you can't ground throw from a ground dash for a good reason it seems.
yeah its stupid and shouldn't be in the game. then again throwing in general is stupid in this game. especially when it leads to so much damage. one small thing they could do is just make L the throwing button instead of H. that way you don't spam H and get random throws. you can't really spam L with a lot of characters as it isn't that good of a button in a lot of cases and you will get punished.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if throws didn't have so much damage potential in this game. I'd be happy with two button throws. X-factor makes it way too easy to get ridiculous damage off an OS throw though. The current system would work well enough if XF damage bonuses were cut nearly in half across the board.

mr. puppy

Banned
Regarding Firebrand, he loves assists that pin the opponent for unblockables (Cold Stars) and arrow/bullet/dagger assist(s) because he's very good at crossing opponent's up through aerial maneuvers. I think Amaterasu might actually be his best partner, since Okami Shuffle gives him an unblockable setup if you THC on an incoming character AFAIK. Dark Harmonizer is pretty mean for him. Stalking Flare and Round Harvest (AFAIK) also give him easy unblockables.

I agree with all of this. I've been using Firebrand/Dante/Task as my main for awhile and I really think Ammy should be in there somewhere.

Also, does anybody out there play Viewtiful Joe like Firebrand? The guys mixups are just freaking stupid and he has his own freaking slowdown o_0.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What if you could only dash with LM?

And if you did LMH you just got H or something like that.

Whichever dev came up with the idea for Dante to be able to cancel his air S into Hammer, I hope his penis falls off in the toilet.
Just assume every Dante is going to do that. The ones that don't can easily be punished.

Dahbomb

Teleports and 1 frame air throws are the only things keeping zoning in this game in check.

Oddly enough, air throws/throws are also the only thing keeping teleports in check.

Azure J

Speaking of Dante's j.S, cancelling it into Air Play then another j.S is surprisingly valid. I'm surprised how often that works. Even more so since after landing, if you can Bold Move or Dash Cancel the first frame on the ground, there's an opportunity for all kinds of shenanigans.

Frantic

Speaking of Dante's j.S, cancelling it into Air Play then another j.S is surprisingly valid. I'm surprised how often that works. Even more so since after landing, if you can Bold Move or Dash Cancel the first frame on the ground, there's an opportunity for all kinds of shenanigans.
Best strategy: j.S, Air Play, j.S, Hammer.

HIGH LEVEL STRATEGY.

Or my favorite in Devil Trigger: j.S, Air Play, j.S, Vortex, j.S, Hammer.

Azure J

Best strategy: j.S, Air Play, j.S, Hammer.

HIGH LEVEL STRATEGY.

Or my favorite in Devil Trigger: j.S, Air Play, j.S, Vortex, j.S, Hammer.

Are you psychic?

I just figured as much out in training mode thinking how can I make this even more stupid. :lol

My brother's telling me to stop that shit right now because it reminds him of playing my Marth in Smash "If'I'm under that ni**a, I'm fucked." :lol

Edit: I feel like some Thunderbolts could get in this too.
Edit 2: Grabbing a raw teleporting Dante is so oddly satisfying to me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You know what game had the worst throws ever? CVS2.

One-button throws with whiff animations? How the fuck am I ever supposed to use my command normals?! Jeez.

Worst of both worlds. That's like the opposite of an option select.

By the way, lvl.1 x-factor Spencer is God. At any point on the screen, I can confirm any high or low hit into 1.1 million damage meterless and still have half my x-factor left for the incoming character. And if I hit the incoming character with a mixup, I'll have built the 5 bars for Phoenix. No TAC shenanigans, no over-extended low-damage combos. Just kills.

1. Hit confrm/Guard cancel into lvl1 x-factor meterless kill
  2. mixup incoming character
  3. raw tag to phoenix
  4. slant shot resets all day without fear of death
  5. Dark Phoenix dies(lol), Spencer/Magneto hyper charged still in play

I was kinda hoping I could use Firebrand with characters that I didn't already hate. Iron Man, really? I don't like him because of his theme alone. Sounds like a cow and a cat having sex over some dubstep.
Also, does anybody out there play Viewtiful Joe like Firebrand? The guys mixups are just freaking stupid and he has his own freaking slowdown o_0.

Joe is so awesome. <3

Last night I decided to try out AgeoJoe's version of my team and got bodied hardcore. Then I looked up his footage against Yipes to see how he played, and it was a world of difference. He was playing patiently, while I was not. So I'm gonna have to work on that, as well as my Day 1 Raccoon. I may sound like a jerk saying this, but Yipes looked so sad losing to him, and when I saw his face I couldn't help but laugh a little. Sorry Yipes. :(

Grecco

I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like Josh Wongs Taskmaster/Doom/Wesker team. In fact i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like Taskmaster with Plasma Beam assist. Its reeeeeeeeeeeeally good.

smurfx

get some go again
I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like Josh Wongs Taskmaster/Doom/Wesker team. In fact i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like Taskmaster with Plasma Beam assist. Its reeeeeeeeeeeeally good.
taskmaster really benefits from a projectile assist period. its why i used zero for so long. his shadow handangeki is such a good assist and staggers characters for a long ass time letting task combo them easy.

rexor0717

That how I play Task, Task/Doom/Nova. Doing the swing canceled arrows + plasma beam just locks down the horizontal space and instantly transports you to the other side of the screen. I especially like doing the horizontal arrows, then going low.

Azure J

I recently changed my B team to try out some Josh Wong 1.0 tech in Dante/Felicia/Phoenix. I don't know how I didn't try this before I watched old Break videos considering I like the Dante/Felicia BFF pair and Phoenix is Phoenix, but I'm really enjoying this setup. Josh knows fun synergy if anything.

The bad news: I just went 0-2 in both tourneys.

The worse news: My worst match (lost because I botched a qcf in SF4) was streamed while my best one (1-2 with my RR/Frank/Ammy team and I almost won) wasn‘t T_T

Smurf, I think I'm retiring from ranked because I now rhyme with this

FVn07.png

In other news, I wish I was at a tournament, the next one here isn't for two weeks T_T

Azure J

That feel when you mash out Million Stab instead of Cold Shower on a grounded foe only to eat a XF3 Level 3 (in this case a Genmu Zero).

feels_bad_man.jpg

Frantic

That feel when you mash out Million Stab instead of Cold Shower on a grounded foe only to eat a XF3 Level 3 (in this case a Genmu Zero).

feels_bad_man.jpg
I usually wait until they recover and just Reverb Shock their ass while they try to punish.[/americanresets]

In all seriousness, I've had that happen too many times that results in death and it's really annoying.

Azure J

There are times when I feel so fucking godlike playing this game on 360 pad with control stick no less, but then when you want to keep it fraudulent simple for efficiency's sake and have stuff like that happen... Man. :lol

Tobe

kinda big tournament tomorrow, dont have any real expectation since im almost retired of marvel, but a good 3rd place wouldnt hurt, still gonna try for 1 tho.

the thing that hypes me the most is that they have a magneto helmet, gonna try borrowing it and wear that shit while i play.

Azure J

Fill in the blank: Dante, Dormammu, & ______

Will take multiple suggestions, team order and assist setups from anyone who wants to give this a shot.

shaowebb

Fill in the blank: Dante, Dormammu, & ______

Will take multiple suggestions, team order and assist setups from anyone who wants to give this a shot.

Rocket Raccoon. Add log to any of that (especially Dorm) and imagine the salt. Plus Salty ball with RR sounds like tricky stuff waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom