• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invite and friend request sent. I haven't played in months, so beware my rust!

GGs Panda. Here's to hoping Vajra gets nerfed in the supposed patch. ;-)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GGs Karst!

I'd stay but I'm starving. At first I had no clue what you were going for with your team, specifically Firebrand. But then you did the unblockable thing on me lol. You got some cheap cheap stuff on that team lol. Chaotic flame punishes like everything. That damn Dormammu.

GGs Karst!

I'd stay but I'm starving. At first I had no clue what you were going for with your team, specifically Firebrand. But then you did the unblockable thing on me lol. You got some cheap cheap stuff on that team lol. Chaotic flame punishes like everything. That damn Dormammu.
Yeah, unfortunately Vajra is like the most dangerous thing for my team. All three of my characters need to be vulnerable in the air frequently. :p Dormammu had to pretty much carry everyone for the matches I won. It works better against non-zoners.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Whenever Dorm was out I was too afraid to call Strider after you killed him one time with Chaotic Flame xfactor etc. Had to call him only when Dorm was airborn.

<3 Vajra though my Strider was extra terrible today.

Whenever Dorm was out I was too afraid to call Strider after you killed him one time with Chaotic Flame xfactor etc. Had to call him only when Dorm was airborn.

<3 Vajra though my Strider was extra terrible today.
Vajra is annoying because it's basically an inverted tracking Purification pillar that gives full combos. Its very existence is an insult to Dormammu.

Azure J

Vajra is annoying because it's basically an inverted tracking Purification pillar that gives full combos. Its very existence is an insult to Dormammu.

I have a feeling you'd hate my main team reading this. :lol

Also, day 2 of learning Morrigan stuff. I think I'm masochistic, because I love when I get the rhythms for high execution stuff, but God forbid I take it into a match when I'm not 100% with it. At the same time, hitting Fly cancels during air series is gets me so hyped, like "fuck yeah I can do this shit!"

Now to remember the air dash down under/forward and continue the series... :p

Vergil/Dante/Morrigan is a stupid good team.

Honestly, if Tony was half as badass in UMVC3 as that IM/Thor clip from the Avengers, we would all be playing Iron Man forever for being TTT tier (tippity toopitty top).

I really want to put him on a team with Parker but then he'd have to be Anchor-Man :/ I want Vanilla Tony mobility back, dat dash and double jump (leave the buffs though ^_^).

You'd think Marvel would make sure he's OP, especially since he went from an afterthought hero among general public to a master level BAMF with 1 movie.

/IM salt and Avengers hype

Onemic

Finally got my Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 stick today. HYPE!

One thing I noticed is that it takes a lot of getting used to. I'm chalking this up mostly to me being completely new to arcade sticks, but doing motions on the joystick is for now much harder than using a pad. Much harder. Dragon punch motions are near impossible to get down correctly and doing regular dashes are hella difficult as I tend to randomly jump when using both methods(fwd fwd does it the most, but atk, atk + fwd still does it at times) Is this just a learning curve thing?

The buttons are great though and I can input stuff with the buttons FAR faster than I ever could with a pad. And now charging while inputting other actions isn't impossible now!

Tobe

One thing I noticed is that it takes a lot of getting used to. I'm chalking this up mostly to me being completely new to arcade sticks, but doing motions on the joystick is for now much harder than using a pad. Much harder. Dragon punch motions are near impossible to get down correctly and doing regular dashes are hella difficult as I tend to randomly jump when using both methods(fwd fwd does it the most, but atk, atk + fwd still does it at times) Is this just a learning curve thing?

The buttons are great though and I can input stuff with the buttons FAR faster than I ever could with a pad. And now charging while inputting other actions isn't impossible now!

do the right thing and learn motions well by playing a lot of classic games like ST. its a bit of a pain but definitely worth the investment.

Azure J

Playing around in the lab right now, and I'm beginning to realize that while it's a good pressure/griefing combo to begin with, Stinger - BC Reverb Shock - Fireworks really scales downward and fast. I'm trying to come up with something that hits harder, but nothing matches in terms of safety. All I've come up with at current though is Stinger - instant BC Million Carats. I want to see how effective this could be, especially with meter as you can cancel from inside Million Carats into Devil Trigger for a full combo.

I'm also messing around with TKing moves from Volcano or Jump Canceled teleports hoping I can put something together with it.

I have a feeling you'd hate my main team reading this. :lol

Also, day 2 of learning Morrigan stuff. I think I'm masochistic, because I love when I get the rhythms for high execution stuff, but God forbid I take it into a match when I'm not 100% with it. At the same time, hitting Fly cancels during air series is gets me so hyped, like "fuck yeah I can do this shit!"

Now to remember the air dash down under/forward and continue the series... :p

Vergil/Dante/Morrigan is a stupid good team.
No matter how much I practice Morrigan combos, I still ABC everything in the heat of combat - oi.

Grats on the stick! Is it your first?

IMO, don't play a non-Marvel game to learn Marvel. You want to get the feel for your characters with the stick. There's a huge learning curve. I'd say it took me 3 months to feel comfortable with my stick, but I'm much better with it than I am with a pad.

Regarding teams, I think I am dropping Morrigan. It's either her or Firebrand, and Firebrand and Dormammu have a lot more synergy together outside of assists, so I'm keeping him. Plus I got tired of losing to Vajra, and Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan is like free food for it.

So I started running Firebrand/Dormammu/Doom, and it's pretty slick. Firebrand's job is to snap in the enemy team's assist character and take him out, and then Dormammu can just play the delay game with Doom via chip damage. It works pretty well. As Panda can attest, I am playing really poorly right now, and I still got 2 hatemail! One called me a "stupid loser", and the other wanted me to fuck my mother.

Hidden Missiles counters every single thing I hate in this game, I'm just not a big fan of Doom. Does anyone have any good Firebrand+Missiles tech?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What's Doom on? If its laptop beam I don't think that'd help vs. Vajra.

The amount of hatemail fighting games produce is astounding. I sucked in ssf4 and still got some.

Onemic

No matter how much I practice Morrigan combos, I still ABC everything in the heat of combat - oi.

Grats on the stick! Is it your first?

IMO, don't play a non-Marvel game to learn Marvel. You want to get the feel for your characters with the stick. There's a huge learning curve. I'd say it took me 3 months to feel comfortable with my stick, but I'm much better with it than I am with a pad.

Regarding teams, I think I am dropping Morrigan. It's either her or Firebrand, and Firebrand and Dormammu have a lot more synergy together outside of assists, so I'm keeping him. Plus I got tired of losing to Vajra, and Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan is like free food for it.

So I started running Firebrand/Dormammu/Doom, and it's pretty slick. Firebrand's job is to snap in the enemy team's assist character and take him out, and then Dormammu can just play the delay game with Doom via chip damage. It works pretty well. As Panda can attest, I am playing really poorly right now, and I still got 2 hatemail! One called me a "stupid loser", and the other wanted me to fuck my mother.

Hidden Missiles counters every single thing I hate in this game, I'm just not a big fan of Doom. Does anyone have any good Firebrand+Missiles tech?

First ever. Sort of the reason why I can't do dragon punch motions accurately anymore and I tend to jump uncontrollably.

Azure J

Sounds like me and Amaterasu at times. Pressure not letting up? Just mash that forward H as soon as you're in the clear my mind says. smh :lol

Morrigan combos are going to take a while to wrap my head around, but something about the rhythm to j.H - Soul Fist - Fly is comfortable to me in a way that I haven't been satisfied with learning since I got Stinger - Bold Cancel Volcano down. Now if only I could get my mind to stop auto piloting and get the downward air dash instead of a super. :lol

What's Doom on? If its laptop beam I don't think that'd help vs. Vajra.

The amount of hatemail fighting games produce is astounding. I sucked in ssf4 and still got some.
Hidden Missiles. Protects against teleports and Vajra, all the evils of this game! :p

First ever. Sort of the reason why I can't do dragon punch motions accurately anymore and I tend to jump uncontrollably.
To do a DP motion, go forward, down, and then mash it into the corner. You can also cheat and do forward, and then a qcf motion in Capcom games. IMO, learning a grip is the most important thing. Most people recommend the wineglass hold.

Sounds like me and Amaterasu at times. Pressure not letting up? Just mash that forward H as soon as you're in the clear my mind says. smh :lol

Morrigan combos are going to take a while to wrap my head around, but something about the rhythm to j.H - Soul Fist - Fly is comfortable to me in a way that I haven't been satisfied with learning since I got Stinger - Bold Cancel Volcano down. Now if only I could get my mind to stop auto piloting and get the downward air dash instead of a super. :lol
The df air dash is really hard to connect consistently IMO. The rest of it is pretty easy.

Onemic

Hidden Missiles. Protects against teleports and Vajra, all the evils of this game! :p

To do a DP motion, go forward, down, and then mash it into the corner. You can also cheat and do forward, and then a qcf motion in Capcom games. IMO, learning a grip is the most important thing. Most people recommend the wineglass hold.

Thanks for that. I was always doing it the fwd, qcf motion as that's what I use for my pad. The original motion work so much better. I'm actually getting the hang of this thing pretty quick. I don't think it should take more than a week for this stick to feel comfortable. I
m already liking more than my pad.

JeTmAn81

It's funny, i actually played Marvel with a pad the other day for the first time in a long time, and the first time ever on an Xbox controller. It was surprising how much stuff i could still hit. I could pull off most of my Dante combos without too much practice. But playing charge characters would take a lot more adjustment, and execution-heavy characters seem better suited to a stick in my mind.

It's funny, i actually played Marvel with a pad the other day for the first time in a long time, and the first time ever on an Xbox controller. It was surprising how much stuff i could still hit. I could pull off most of my Dante combos without too much practice. But playing charge characters would take a lot more adjustment, and execution-heavy characters seem better suited to a stick in my mind.

If Mihe could play Zero on a stock Xbox360 pad you know that there's nothing you can do in sticks that you can't do on pads. You just need to know how to do it on a pad.

Zissou

Hats off to the pad warriors out there. My bold canceling is already spotty enough on a stick- I have no idea how you guys pull it off consistently on a 360 pad.

Tonight was a really productive night. I found tons of Firebrand/Doom tech. My new team's THC does 100K more than the old one - yay!

Hats off to the pad warriors out there. My bold canceling is already spotty enough on a stick- I have no idea how you guys pull it off consistently on a 360 pad.
They hotkey S+A to one button.

http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/315435219

Have you guys seen this? 3:41:00 onwards shows how we should be playing Morrigan, rather than with Soul Fist/Missile spamming.
ROFL, are you Newuser on GFAQs? No wonder why I hate you.

Searching the Doom forums, this loop is new to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gaEWlbaJT8&feature=player_embedded

I also can't figure out how people are doing Doom's mid-screen bnb where he chains j.f+H into j.S and can still dash cancel the j.S to get to the ground faster. My j.S always whiffs unless I dash-cancel the j.f+h. Anyone know?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
LMAO @ the commentator jizzing his pants over a 2 meter intensive unblockable set up.
I really like the setup though. DHC and assist-specific and reasonably balanced in terms of resources and effort spent, but it's nice.

I notice that he goes for the unblockable with j.H instead of j.S. j.S would make it even more guaranteed but would kill the payoff due to damage scaling.

Dahbomb

I like it too, I am just amused at how the commentator thinks its the cheapest thing he has ever seen.

You can probably do it with other characters, it seems to only require Storm Hailstorm and a utility hyper + low/high hitting assist. Something like Storm -> Vergil DT + Nova Centurion assist or Storm -> Dante DT + Deadpool Low hitting assist.

I am sure Zero aka Best Character in the Game wouldn't even need an assist to do an unblockable off of that set up.

The Nova flowchart has been created:

pXHSp.jpg

Tizoc

So I FINALLY got dat ULTIMATE MAHVEL, BAYBEE!
Well my bro actually got it so thanks to him, gonna play some trials in it then go about doing some other stuff.
TIME TO LEARN ME SOME NEMESIS!

Speaking of Nova, I've been wanting to try Nova/Frank/(RR/Ammy depending on my mood). I know Nova and Frank go pretty well together, but other than easy level 4s, what do the two of them do for each other?

I like it too, I am just amused at how the commentator thinks its the cheapest thing he has ever seen.

You can probably do it with other characters, it seems to only require Storm Hailstorm and a utility hyper + low/high hitting assist. Something like Storm -> Vergil DT + Nova Centurion assist or Storm -> Dante DT + Deadpool Low hitting assist.
...so it's the round harvest unblockable?

Speaking of Nova, I've been wanting to try Nova/Frank/(RR/Ammy depending on my mood). I know Nova and Frank go pretty well together, but other than easy level 4s, what do the two of them do for each other?

The cart gives Nova some great mix ups due to how long they are in blockstun and if they jump, air grab from Nova coming up. So Nova's only low hitting move becomes functional with cart and Nova's mix up abilities increase.

Solune

I also can't figure out how people are doing Doom's mid-screen bnb where he chains j.f+H into j.S and can still dash cancel the j.S to get to the ground faster. My j.S always whiffs unless I dash-cancel the j.f+h. Anyone know?
What I do is delay the J.M going up because if done too early the opponent will too low beneath Doom, if you delay it slightly they should pop up high enough to get the J.S off.
I can't help but read that flowchart in egoraptor's voice, for some reason.
Because his voice is AWESOME.
My Nova flowchart would consist of airdash into air throw into huge combo looping into itself, forever.
Sounds like Ultimoo
Pretty much.

Tizoc

I agree. What other character's strategies can be summarized in a few phrases?

Should do one of PW trying to get turnabout mode and at the end of the chart have him lose/fail to do so.

Sent:
SLAUGHTER!
HRGH, HARGH!
HMMPH, HMMF, HYAGH, SLAUGHTER!
ROCKET-PUNCH, BOOYA, BLARMABOMB!

Dahbomb

It's slightly different in timing because RH takes a while to get to the opponent but the basic concept is the same. Also this set up REQUIRES an extra meter to DHC out where as RH does not, you can raw tag that.

I can give suggestions for Vergil and Wesker flowcharts.

I agree. What other character's strategies can be summarized in a few phrases?

Should do one of PW trying to get turnabout mode and at the end of the chart have him lose/fail to do so.

Ammy:
Are they blocking?
No--------------------v
---------- ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
Yes->Who cares!-----^

I prefer the glaive myself, but it had to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom