• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

so there really is no point in learning to switch then? At least until I get to a point where I've completely mastered zero? I've already got the hang of it, though I know I wouldn't be able to use it practically outside of training mode.

You need to switch eventually, but just using L to start is fine. Just practice using the L and H comand dashes and keeping one button pressed to learn switching

Azure J

Hsien-Ko (Senpu Bu)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajira) is so hilarious a team once Hsien gets gold and put in the proper assist position.

FSLink

Banned
Hsien-Ko (Senpu Bu)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajira) is so hilarious a team once Hsien gets gold and put in the proper assist position.

A similar team, before the Wright assist nerf patch, I used Wright (Press the Witness)/Dante (Jam Session)/Hawkeye (Triple Arrow), and man it was hilarious once Wright was in Turnabout. Having Dante for THC to have Million Dollars + Maya Super to punish things was good too, and allowed Wright to collect evidence and potentially get into Turnabout mode. I would then do keepaway with Hawkeye, Jam Session, and call Wright super if they got close.

In hindsight, it probably is best they nerfed the invincibility (though they should have given it hyper armor or something at least), I'd imagine Morrigan/Wright/Doom would have been a ridiculous combination.

A similar team, before the Wright assist nerf patch, I used Wright (Press the Witness)/Dante (Jam Session)/Hawkeye (Triple Arrow), and man it was hilarious once Wright was in Turnabout. Having Dante for THC to have Million Dollars + Maya Super to punish things was good too, and allowed Wright to collect evidence and potentially get into Turnabout mode. I would then do keepaway with Hawkeye, Jam Session, and call Wright super if they got close.

In hindsight, it probably is best they nerfed the invincibility (though they should have given it hyper armor or something at least), I'd imagine Morrigan/Wright/Doom would have been a ridiculous combination.

One of the best Wright troll teams I've seen was HsienKo/Modok/Wright.

Get gold, tag in wright, get evidence and turnabout.

Tag in Modok. Gold Assist/Turnabout Assist/Barrier is such a lol combination.

Azure J

I seriously fucking want to run this team now, but man oh man I don't think I can deal with the salt from flubbing things with poor Lei Lei. At the same time, I can't believe how honest Gold Pendulum keeps things. It's like Vanilla Gustaf/Lariat and as a Dante, shit's amazing for utility.

Damn, I may not have won anything at Marvel today (Skullgirls is another story though), but damn, I got my first freaking draw ever.

Frank and Nova were down and Rocket had two characters to take down. I activate Xfactor and do a level 3 into a combo and take down the second character. After that it was only Rocket vs Doom, we both fought and in the end both had so little health any hit would kill the other. So then, Doom footdives, I do the cH laser. Both hit, and we're both "WTF WHO WON?!" and then the "Draw" screen showed up. We both laughed so much xD

Onemic

You need to switch eventually, but just using L to start is fine. Just practice using the L and H comand dashes and keeping one button pressed to learn switching

Well it seems like that parts out of the way. I've gotten used to switching now. It's the OTG Raikousen H xx lvl 3 buster, j.Ryuenjin L that's getting me stuck and frustrated at the moment.

Azure J

Wait, you can draw in this game? :lol

Meanwhile, more lab testing with Dante to see what I can extend a Hammer confirm with using Rapid Slash assist. So far, I've tried the following, with each being an evolution of a previous thought train:

Starting from the corner - Hammer - Volcano - j.H - Air Play - j.H - Killer Bee - backdash - S - Charge Shot (3 - 4 shots) - Stinger - Bold Move - Sky Dance...

It's right around here that I'm always trying to maximize damage, but I usually never know what to hit with for best damage unless I have Strider assist (Million Carats is my best friend). As such I tried the following:

- Assist 2 (Rapid Slash) - delayed Cold Shower - Million Dollars

This doesn't work somehow. I'm guessing it's hitstun related since the training dummy pops out of the Rapid Slashes without suffering the soft knockdown I was relying on for the Hyper to combo into. As such, I thought I'd get a little trickier:

- Assist 2 (Rapid Slash) - Volcano xx Jump Cancelled Teleport - S...

This is one I feel can be done, although it's clearly above my execution level timing wise. Calling the assist perfectly to catch the dummy, carry them and teleport fast enough to hit with the S is some high class shit, but just because it looks cool in concept, I'm thinking about testing it some more for kicks. My final experiment is:

- Assist 2 (Rapid Slash) - Crystal - Million Dollars.

It seems to work OK. Edit: NOPE.gif

Final note from training mode monstering, TKing Volcanoes makes you feel so goddamned BEAST. :lol

Edit: I'm having another instance of Bold Move off Dante's Stinger Lvl. 2 fucking up. I'm trying to practice Hammer - Cold Shower - Stinger Lvl. 2 - BC'd Instant Grapple (OCF + HH) and instead of getting the jump backwards like the glitch is famous for, now I'm getting goddamned Jet Streams (QCB + H) as a read input instead. =/

DR2K

Banned
If there's a new balance edition please nerf infinite one hit kill combos and make hit scaling work the way it was intended to. That means goodbye to the twins, zero, doom, Spencer, etc. . . slowing down the pace of the match.

You know even with all the BS in MVC3 it still is nothing compared to MVC2, losing at the character select screen is never good.

ArecxP

Banned
Hey fellow GAFers, I just wanted to stop by and point out to you guys a bi-weekly tournament that I might be starting.

I haven't fleshed out all the details yet but if anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me or even post in the following link.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/62605079

As far as consoles go, I'm gonna sort that out but I own umvc3 for both so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Edit: Also, any tips for approaching? I'm playing Spencer, Doom, Vergil and all I really want to do is those ToD combos with Spencer but my playstyle is rushdown (recklessly) and he ends up dying. My approaches are usually Rapid Slash and Zipline. Any other ways I should know? Hidden Missiles on doom btw but I want to save those for whenever I get a touch on spencer.

Frantic

The easiest Rapid Slash extension for Dante is Rain Storm, call Rapid Slash, Hammer(once Rapid Slash starts hitting). Another Rapid Slash extension if you haven't used up your ground bounce is Volcano > Beehive, call Rapid Slash, Stinger, Volcano, Helm Breaker. You have to slightly delay the Stinger after the assist call, but not too long of a delay. Both have to be facing the corner.

AzureJericho said:
Edit: I'm having another instance of Bold Move off Dante's Stinger Lvl. 2 fucking up. I'm trying to practice Hammer - Cold Shower - Stinger Lvl. 2 - BC'd Instant Grapple (OCF + HH) and instead of getting the jump backwards like the glitch is famous for, now I'm getting goddamned Jet Streams (QCB + H) as a read input instead. =/
Instead of going for the full 4 hits of Cold Shower, just do two and then use Stinger. It's harder to do, but the four hits causes Dante to cross up and get Jet Stream instead of Hysterics.

Azure J

Man, thank you so much for the tip Frantic. So many things just got so much easier for me.

And on a Mahvel cycle related tangent, who do I have to lobby to in order to get my awesome Hsien-Ko back? I can manage with her because that's my VS main and pendulum air stalling still feels the same, but just remembering that certain things were possible with her and seeing how badly her damage scaling kicks in at times is just disheartening. =(

http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/315435219

Have you guys seen this? 3:41:00 onwards shows how we should be playing Morrigan, rather than with Soul Fist/Missile spamming.
Just finished watching Morrigan at Savage Saturday and the possibility of Morrigan actually making top eight at EVO seems really possible now. Gonna watch this footage just to get a taste of what other nonsense she can start up.

Morrigan is becoming the east coast boogeyman.
Man, thank you so much for the tip Frantic. So many things just got so much easier for me.

And on a Mahvel cycle related tangent, who do I have to lobby to in order to get my awesome Hsien-Ko back? I can manage with her because that's my VS main and pendulum air stalling still feels the same, but just remembering that certain things were possible with her and seeing how badly her damage scaling kicks in at times is just disheartening. =(
Yep, stalling at super jump height with pendulum works surprisingly well.

IMO, just tried my untried but true Strange/Hsien-ko combination. BFFs.

Azure J

First things first, I want to say thanks and sorry to all of Mahvel-GAF who've approached me for matches. I'll deff find a way to play, but for the short term, it's not looking like I have Live to fight it out with. =/

Just finished watching Morrigan at Savage Saturday and the possibility of Morrigan actually making top eight at EVO seems really possible now. Gonna watch this footage just to get a taste of what other nonsense she can start up.

Morrigan is becoming the east coast boogeyman.

Yep, stalling at super jump height with pendulum works surprisingly well.

Link? I wanted to catch that, but I missed it thanks to a longer than expected errand I was running. As for the Hsien stuff, I don't even know why I feel like that when the in joke for most of Mahvel-GAF was SolarPowered & I doing back and forth on her assness. It's like the ghost of a familiar friend, the presence is there enough for you to feel comfortable, but you just can't expect what you want from the situation. :lol

Sorry for the reference in advance.

Edit: Just got around to watching that JJJ footage posted a while back. Holy fuck, this character.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Got 2nd place to FR_RoachKing VISCANT BEYOND at a fairly decent regional tonight. Not a bad showing but this is like my 4th or 5th second-place finish since I moved down here, lol. Some day I'll get over that hump.

Longer sets in tourneys is what's up though. 4/7 Winners/Grand Finals is nice. You can actually get past the "first hit wins" nonsense and have some decent back-and-forth.

smurfx

get some go again
god hawkeye is such a shitty dhc into character. gimlet does such shit damage and his other hyper doesn't combo into a ton of stuff. i wish it came out faster and then it would be a good dhc hyper. haggar isn't exactly a good dhc hyper character as well. maybe if rapid fire fist wasn't such complete fucking garbage it would be good to dhc into haggar.

Dahbomb

If there's a new balance edition please nerf infinite one hit kill combos and make hit scaling work the way it was intended to. That means goodbye to the twins, zero, doom, Spencer, etc. . . slowing down the pace of the match.
Dante doesn't have solo TODs anymore his combos are just long. Vergil's TODs are meter and assist dependent plus his combos are more long than actually hurtful. Zero and Spencer are most definitely going to get nerfed if there is a balance patch and maybe Doom too.

Cool Tron Bonne Beacon Bomb set ups

smurfx

get some go again
omfg dantes vortex move while in devil trigger mode can eat a gimlet? fuck you capcom. i'm working on a hawkeye reset that seems really hard to get out of as it happens so damn fast. gotta work on it in training mode a whole bunch before i try it against anybody.

I thought DR2K was talking about Viper when he said "the twins". I guess it was because I haven't seen Dante or Vergil ToD without X-factor...

(._.)

Dahbomb

omfg dantes vortex move while in devil trigger mode can eat a gimlet? fuck you capcom.
Um why fuck Capcom? Gimlet thrown out raw is pretty crappy, most characters can just dash to evade it or just enter a power up state or even raw tag.

Vortex has always been invincible... trying to hit an invincible move is pretty dumb.

USD

Ah, I guess I should post this here too haha:

Last night the vote for KVOxGODSGARDEN (UMvC3) opened:

KVOxGODSGARDEN vote page

The names are in Roman characters as well, so you can easily vote. You get 6 votes a day: 5 up-votes and 1 down-vote. Left button (賛成) up-votes, right (反対) down-votes. You can use as many or as few as you want, spread or stack. Top 4 vote receivers get into the main tournament for KVOxGODS on May 4.

Dahbomb

I couldn't find Kusoru/Ageojoe, Tenbosu and Chou on there.

I voted for Haunts, Fubarduck, Frieda, Spinking, Yokohama MODOK, Mame Spider, Udaterasu, Abegen and GX along with a few other ones I recognized.

Top 4 from Japan that I would vote for if I had only 4 votes: Kusoru, Abegen, GX and Chou.

USD

I voted for Haunts, Fubarduck, Frieda, Spinking, Yokohama MODOK, Mame Spider, Udaterasu, Abegen and GX along with a few other ones I recognized.

Top 4 from Japan that I would vote for if I had only 4 votes: Kusoru, Abegen, GX and Chou.

Ah I guess I should have mentioned this. Since the prize for winning KVOxGODS is a trip to EVO and Kusoru isn't going to EVO, he won't be in the tournament. There will be an exhibition match between the KVOxGODS winner and Kusoru however.

Chou has an invite, so is already in the main tournament.

Tenboss just isn't participating.

Also, I mentioned in the post about, you only get 5 (up-)votes a day, so you couldn't have actually voted for all those players haha.

Kusoru and Chou are already invited and guaranteed a spot. And I hope you realize GX is a massive choker and usually disappoints in tourneys.

EDIT: Oh wow, sounds like Kusoru is keeping true to his words of never coming back to America. Cool, I respect him for that, hopefully this will silence the haters.

Ah I guess I should have mentioned this. Since the prize for winning KVOxGODS is a trip to EVO and Kusoru isn't going to EVO, he won't be in the tournament. There will be an exhibition match between the KVOxGODS winner and Kusoru however.

That's a real shame, hope he changes his mind (or find someone to sponsor him if that's whats holding him back)

Tobe

New combo video by Kanoleon...

The Marvelous Spider-Man Combo Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niD81hdW9Gg&feature=colike

Was just talking to him at the local tournament yesterday... Dude is pretty chill. We ended talking about the new Persona 4 fighting game and how he loves the DMC games. Dahbomb and him should make an unholy baby or something. :p

OHHH GODDAMN!!!!!!!!! SASA GET ON THIS SHIT ASAP!!!! really nice video and the TAS theme just made it super hype for me.

Azure J

Anyone have any good ideas for combo extensions using Cold Shots? I think I need to start using assists for higher damage now. I'm peaking at 750K with Dante, around 680K with Ammy and Strider's close to hitting 600K if I'm in a situation that calls for straight damage. (But really, who uses Strider for damage over batshit insane mixup/resets?)

Tangent: This reminds me, I love when people try to snap in Strider thinking he's just an assist character for me. Strider backed with Jam Session and Cold Shots is fucking awesome mode. :lol

So Dante/Frank/Phoenix was an awesome idea, but the problem is that if they snap in Phoenix early and kill her, I'm stuck with lvl 1 frank with Dante assist :-(

So now I'm thinking Dante(snow)/Doom(hidden missiles)/Phoenix(trap). I can reset into all kinds of gross meaty attacks + hidden missiles for stupid crossups without letting you touch the ground. Plus, that one crazy Doom TAC builds a ton of meter.

Ok so I'm working on these teams now:

Dormammu/Spencer/Magneto - super, super tech-heavy team, really fun to play but takes an abnormal amount of effort early in the match to kill
Magneto/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon - really aggressive shut down team, but my raccoon is asssss. might swap sent/coon for Spencer/Phoenix
Dante/Doom/Phoenix - Godlike team, I'm familiar with all three characters and it's fun to play, despite the high risk.

I need to start settling down to one, maybe two teams by the end of the semester. I'll have 3 weeks off and I'll grind whatever I choose to hell and back. Once the summer semester starts I'll be moving to an apartment about 2 blocks from Southtown Arcade, so I'll be grinding it out there until I hop on my flight to EVO.

Any tips for my team selections?

Streaming myself using my Phoenix Wright team online to limited success, lol.
http://www.twitch.tv/fslink

If anybody wants to play a few games right now, just let me know.

Xbox or PS3?

Azure J

Ok so I'm working on these teams now:

Dormammu/Spencer/Magneto - super, super tech-heavy team, really fun to play but takes an abnormal amount of effort early in the match to kill
Magneto/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon - really aggressive shut down team, but my raccoon is asssss. might swap sent/coon for Spencer/Phoenix
Dante/Doom/Phoenix - Godlike team, I'm familiar with all three characters and it's fun to play, despite the high risk.

I need to start settling down to one, maybe two teams by the end of the semester. I'll have 3 weeks off and I'll grind whatever I choose to hell and back. Once the summer semester starts I'll be moving to an apartment about 2 blocks from Southtown Arcade, so I'll be grinding it out there until I hop on my flight to EVO.

Any tips for my team selections?

Dante/Doom/Phoenix is a really fun team. I can't help in terms of technicalities much, but you know a team is doing something right when you can burn a meter or two and still not worry about Phoenix being starved for meter much. This is especially true if you're good with playing raw Phoenix.

One question though, why trap instead of shot for Phoenix assist?

Dante/Doom/Phoenix is a really fun team. I can't help in terms of technicalities much, but you know a team is doing something right when you can burn a meter or two and still not worry about Phoenix being starved for meter much. This is especially true if you're good with playing raw Phoenix.

One question though, why trap instead of shot for Phoenix assist?

I don't use Phoenix assist in any of my dante combos, so I use trap on incoming characters.

Dahbomb

Chou has an invite, so is already in the main tournament.

Tenboss just isn't participating.

Also, I mentioned in the post about, you only get 5 (up-)votes a day, so you couldn't have actually voted for all those players haha.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I adjusted my voting to 5 only: GX, Abegen, Udaterasu, Spinking and Frieda. The rest I will vote for on my other PC... :D

GX is a choker for sure but he is an exciting player and one of the few serious PW players on the planet. I think we need all the odds we can get to make sure that bounty ends up being paid!

We ended talking about the new Persona 4 fighting game and how he loves the DMC games. Dahbomb and him should make an unholy baby or something. :p
What's his opinion on DmC?

Concurrent fans of DMC and Marvel is hardly a surprise. MVC3 is the closest thing to a DMC fighting game. Both games attract similar types of players ie players who want to just style on fools.

Azure J

I don't use Phoenix assist in any of my dante combos, so I use trap on incoming characters.

That's cool. Funnily enough, I feel like I'd love TK Trap as an assist if I could somehow force it to be the Dark Phoenix version. Cool little idea there regarding comboing off air throw with it.

Edit: Don't know how I didn't finish this thought before I posted... Weird.

What's his opinion on DmC?

Concurrent fans of DMC and Marvel is hardly a surprise. MVC3 is the closest thing to a DMC fighting game. Both games attract similar types of players ie players who want to just style on fools.

It's really weird, I was mostly a casual DMC fan prior to Marvel, yet when I saw it confirmed that Dante was in, I just knew I had to play this game. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom