• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventhubs Community Tier List

A+
Dr. Doom, Spencer, Wesker, Zero
A
Akuma, C. Viper, Dante, Dormammu, Frank West, Hawkeye, Magneto, Phoenix, Strider, Taskmaster, Vergil, Wolverine
B+
Amaterasu, Captain America, Deadpool, Felicia, Morrigan, Nova, Sentinel, Spider-Man, Storm, Super-Skrull, Trish, X-23
B
Chris Redfield, Dr. Strange, Firebrand, Haggar, Hulk, Jill, MODOK, Nemesis, Rocket Raccoon, Ryu, Viewtiful Joe
C+
Arthur, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Thor
C
Chun-Li, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Tron Bonne, Shuma-Gorath
D
Hsien-Ko, Phoenix Wright

Dahbomb

Eventhubs Community Tier List

A+
Dr. Doom, Spencer, Wesker, Zero
A
Akuma, C. Viper, Dante, Dormammu, Frank West, Hawkeye, Magneto, Phoenix, Strider, Taskmaster, Vergil, Wolverine
B+
Amaterasu, Captain America, Deadpool, Felicia, Morrigan, Nova, Sentinel, Spider-Man, Storm, Super-Skrull, Trish, X-23
B
Chris Redfield, Dr. Strange, Firebrand, Haggar, Hulk, Jill, MODOK, Nemesis, Rocket Raccoon, Ryu, Viewtiful Joe
C+
Arthur, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Thor
C
Chun-Li, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Tron Bonne, Shuma-Gorath
D
Hsien-Ko, Phoenix Wright
It's not a terrible list when you take into account that most of the votes were compiled early on in the game's life cycle (I am seeing votes as early as December). Back then Wesker was definitely considered #1 but now he is struggling to make top 5.

In a nutshell Wesker/Doom/Frank/Phoenix/Cap are a tier higher than they should be, Morrigan/Firebrand/Thor/Iron Man/V Joe a tier lower than they should be. Other than that the tier list is more or less on par with what other people have for their tiers.

The meta game has shifted drastically since then and I can get my money that if they took the same vote again the same people would have different placing for certain characters and you would see Morrigan higher and Phoenix lower.

Pretty much what Dahbomb said.

I would move Dorm/Viper up there with Spencer/Zero at the very least. Vergil/Magneto/Dante are reaching those characters of stupidity as well.

It's probably because I've never seen the matchup, but I love Deadpool's win screen after beating Spidey:

"Hey, did you know that Wesker guy stole your Maximum Spider move? You were doing that back in Marvel Super Heroes! So...Gonna go kick his ass? Can I watch?"

OHHH GODDAMN!!!!!!!!! SASA GET ON THIS SHIT ASAP!!!! really nice video and the TAS theme just made it super hype for me.

Hahaha, this video was good. Web throws for days though and some funky stings.

That said, Spidey Missiles makes nice combos but feels pretty meh to me. Doesn't help that Doom is such a boring character to actually play T_T and don't get me started on the Iron Guy.

I like hitting these and similar combos but actually playing them = one unhappy papi. Training mode 4eva

D
Hsien-Ko, Phoenix Wright

SolarPowered Am Cry
Those tears dried up a long time ago.

Link? I wanted to catch that, but I missed it thanks to a longer than expected errand I was running. As for the Hsien stuff, I don't even know why I feel like that when the in joke for most of Mahvel-GAF was SolarPowered & I doing back and forth on her assness. It's like the ghost of a familiar friend, the presence is there enough for you to feel comfortable, but you just can't expect what you want from the situation. :lol

Sorry for the reference in advance.
This is nothing. You should've visited the Hsien-Ko character forums on SRK. We had a grand old time shitting on her there. It looks kinda messed up in retrospect.

Grecco

Ah I guess I should have mentioned this. Since the prize for winning KVOxGODS is a trip to EVO and Kusoru isn't going to EVO, he won't be in the tournament. There will be an exhibition match between the KVOxGODS winner and Kusoru however.

Chou has an invite, so is already in the main tournament.

Tenboss just isn't participating.

Also, I mentioned in the post about, you only get 5 (up-)votes a day, so you couldn't have actually voted for all those players haha.

I thought he said he might consider going back if someone sponsored him?

Azure J

This is nothing. You should've visited the Hsien-Ko character forums on SRK. We had a grand old time shitting on her there. It looks kinda messed up in retrospect.

Haha, I was there earlier today, it's tragic. On top of everyone going straight to acceptance of her disappointing self, the place is a fucking ghost town.

Until the day I die, I will never understand why they took away Wright's invincible assist. In comparison to all the other broken stuff in the game, it wasn't even a blip on the radar.

I was playing my old Spencer/Wesker/Magneto team today when it hit me: That team configuration makes no sense. I can do 1.1 million from the beginning of the round, killing a character and bringing in Glasses-Off wesker who gets godlike Slant Shot resets, but what's the point?

Spencer just kills everybody anyway.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I was playing my old Spencer/Wesker/Magneto team today when it hit me: That team configuration makes no sense. I can do 1.1 million from the beginning of the round, killing a character and bringing in Glasses-Off wesker who gets godlike Slant Shot resets, but what's the point?

Spencer just kills everybody anyway.

So then what would be the better configuration?

But that's a different team. I thought you meant the team order. I think Wesker 2nd is the best place for him.

Oh yeah, as far as that goes, absolutely. Spencer kinda breaks everything with the whole, "oh look at me, I can do 850k meterless with one assist" thing. If Spencer had a way to do chip damage, he'd be the uncontested best character in the game.

Ok, Dahbomb. Time to test your true mettle as a theory fighter. Assuming there are no patches, what is the tier list 9 years from now... MARVEL 2 STYLE.

You get to pick 4 god tiers, 8 High tiers, and 3 assist tier characters. Everything else is trash and unusable.

God Tier:
  • Firebrand
  • C.Viper
  • Dante
  • Frank West

High Tier:
  • Vergil
  • Dormammu
  • Trish
  • Strider
  • Thor
  • MODOK
  • Storm
  • X-23

Assist Tier:
  • Morrigan(Harmonizer)
  • Viewtiful Joe(Bomb)
  • Spencer(Slant Shot)

Why play Magneto when you can be a GOD

here:
  • Cyclops
  • Iron Man
  • War Machine
  • Doctor Doom
  • Strider
  • Spiral
  • Dhalsim
  • Blackheart

Thor and Storm but no Magnus? What is your reasoning?

Those tridashes and throw resets are at least 8 years old. Boy's done retired. 1 frame grabs and float cancels plus their other tools push them above Magnus. Magnus is strong, but after a decade, you start to block.

If it weren't from Wright and Hsien Ko, then UMVC3 wouldn't have a Bottom/D tier. The tier list would stop at C.
Has anyone ever tweeted one of the more high profile tier lists to Seth as a sort of barometer for buffs/nerfs? I know that EVO and big tournaments influence balancing, but I figured that this should be an obvious form of communication.

It'd be nice if Capcom's fighting game teams had a little more back and forth with us on this particular subject. Also, they should buff everyone in C tier or below and just leave the rest of the roster alone if they want to be serious about it. We need that compact Accent Core/Extend/KoF SAB tier list.

God Tier:
  • Magneto
  • C.Viper
  • Dante
  • Frank West

High Tier:
  • Vergil
  • Felicia
  • Chris Redfield
  • Dr.Strange
  • Firebrand
  • Jill
  • Akuma
  • Wolverine

Assist Tier:
  • Doom(Hidden Missiles)
  • Akuma(Tatsu)
  • Dante (Icicles)

There's a reason why tridashes have been working for so long. Doesn't matter how good you are at blocking, you'll get hit by them eventually. Also I think magnus still has some undiscovered attraction/repulsion tech.

I'm more offended at Trish being that high, honestly.

With Morrigan/Doom, we're already starting to see that filling the screen is damn good, and Trish is good at that, while being very capable of staying at super jump height, she has good mobility and normals, with low damage potential likely keeping her from god tier. Also we'll start seeing prominent use of stupid Round Harvest(?) DHC's.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Can't block forever!

Only Joker has really tapped into Box Dash magnetic blasts(frame advantage yay). When more people like Champ and RayRay start using them, ontop of J.any-normal crossup, a lot of people are going to be pringles. lol. People still can't block the regular tri-jump L and they had 10 years.

If things progress, I could see Dorm, Viper, Mags, and Dante sitting at the top. Firebrand too.

Azure J

God Tier:
  • Zero
  • Magneto
  • Dante
  • C. Viper

High Tier:
  • Strider
  • Vergil
  • Dormammu
  • Firebrand
  • Amaterasu
  • Morrigan
  • Felicia
  • Doctor Doom

Assist Tier:
  • Akuma (Tatsu)
  • Shuma (Mystic Ray)
  • Sentinal (Sentinal Force Charge)

Shit, why not? :lol

I'm down to explain anything here.

shaowebb

Haven't kept up too well, but figured I'd give it a shot too. Agree with most choices so far, but why no God tier Zeroes?

God Tier:
  • Zero
  • C.Viper
  • Dante
  • Firebrand

High Tier:
  • Strider
  • Vergil
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Amaterasu
  • Morrigan
  • Magneto
  • Spencer
  • Doctor Doom

Assist Tier:
  • Hsien Ko (Gold variant of course)
  • Shuma (Mystic Ray)
  • Akume (tatsu because it only locks down EVERYTHING)

God help me if Iron Fist would just learn to do Frank's Roll I'd go from not putting him on the list since he's midcard to putting him to God tier.

Dahbomb

You get to pick 4 god tiers, 8 High tiers, and 3 assist tier characters. Everything else is trash and unusable.

4 God Tiers:

Zero
Viper
Dante
Firebrand

8 High Tiers:

Vergil
Strider
Magneto
Dormammu
MODOK
Morrigan
Amaterasu
Trish

Assist Tier:

Doom Hidden Missile
Akuma Tatsu
Sentinel Drones

How the hell do you not have Magneto in High tier at least? No Zero either wtf.

The top assists that are top now are going to remain top for 10 years. Not much to read in to assists, the ones I listed are always going to be some of the best no matter the style of play. I think Morrigan, Ammy, Dante and Strider all have top assists too but those characters I listed in God/High anyway so no need to list them again. Sentinel and Akuma are the only true "assist tier" characters, Doom will always have solid point capability although will run into match up problems.

God tier is pretty obvious. These characters will eventually run the show. Dante is actually the weakest one on there but he is going to be god because ground based/1 dimensional rushdown is going to be less prominent which means he doesn't have to worry about 4 frame jabs in his face all the time. Plus his support assists are going to push him to the top because Jam Session would be very important in a meta where most of the good characters can operate at SJ height (MODOK, Zero, Morrigan, Magneto).

Morrigan is going to get better and will assume a Spiral type role in the meta but with an ability to rushdown better. MODOK will go up once more people playing him better and a lot of tools are godly for higher level of play and a meta where SJ play matters more. Magneto is always going to be good in this game, it doesn't matter how good people can block you can't block Magneto backed up Amaterasu or Drones consistently. Magneto Blast, top level movement, Gravity Squeeze, Disruptor and Repulsion tech will make sure he is great in any form of meta.

Strider is Strider, not much to say on him his assist is godly now and will remain godly forever. People will get better playing him and abusing Formations more. Dormammu would thrive in a meta where there are more SJs but is liable to get counter picked and beaten by the gods but he counters something like Morrigan spam so he is relevant. Amaterasu for having a top assist and a ridiculous amount of tools that are always going to be effective/useful. Counters means that having reads will gain you advantage in matches and people will get better at using those. Vergil is Vergil... he doesn't give a fuck about any meta games or neutral game plus if people start pairing him with Morrigan more it's going to end up being a lethal combination. The new Blistering Sword instant overhead tech tells me that there is definitely ridiculous stuff on this character we have not explored yet.

I don't see Frank in God/high tier at all. Thor and Storm will be better but not at that level, Thor still has a lot of issues and his health is going to matter less and less. X-23 will get better too but when so much of the match is going to played in the air she is going to have a tough time although X-23 at 2nd spot with XF is going to be good no matter what due to the BOGO effect.

Forgot about my 8th character, Trish. Peakaboo is a great assist and her ability to play different playstyles while also enabling other forms of BS like unblockable set ups means she will be relevant for quite some time. Another character who likes to play the SJ game but counter picked by Strider.

Wild card character/assists include Shuma Gorath for Mystic Ray counter pick purposes, Strange because of his DHC/assist options/tools, Spider Man, Spencer, Iron Man's Repulsor Assist, Rocket Raccoon, Joe (I don't think bomb is terribly useful outside of TODs which isn't going to be that important in 10 years, neutral game is going to matter more which Joe excels at), Jill, Super Skrull.

Has anyone ever tweeted one of the more high profile tier lists to Seth as a sort of barometer for buffs/nerfs? I know that EVO and big tournaments influence balancing, but I figured that this should be an obvious form of communication.
The community at large still doesn't agree on a tier list. The Eventhub people laugh at SRKs tier list and the SRK people laugh at Eventhubs tier list. I am sure people here laugh at both. Yeah there are some obvious correlations like Zero the best in every tier list and Hsien Ko/PW being the worst but aside from a few exception it's generally very mixed bag.

Azure J

Why doesn't anybody have zero in their god tier?

A lot of the stuff that makes him so wild right now is more than likely getting looked over in Capcom HQ as probably will see some adjustments through a patch. I kinda reflected this in my placing of Zero in the high tier because a character with that mobility, his particular coverage and those tools will still be very fucking dominant in this game.

If we run under the assumption that there are no further patches though, then Firebrand gets bumped down to Top Tier under Strider and Vergil in my list and Zero goes above Viper in my God Tier.

Third Edit: Pause, Blistering Swords Overheads..? *Runs to the lab*

Also, I would like to take a small moment to say I called it way back with regards to Vergil + Morrigan being a stupid good combination/frame for a team.

God Tier
Zero
Viper
Dorm
Dante

High Tier
Vergil
Magneto
Thor
Felicia
MODOK
Morrigan
Strider
Ammy

Assist Tier
Doom Hidden Missiles
Akuma Tatsu
Sent Drones

As time goes on I think this will become our most dominant characters in the game. And yes Thor could be one. I honestly think once people learn how devastating a Thor team is with air command grabs, he will see more play.

Dahbomb

A lot of the stuff that makes him so wild right now is more than likely getting looked over in Capcom HQ as probably will see some adjustments through a patch.
The question assumes that there will be no patch.

Unpatched Zero is god tier no debates about it.

shaowebb

Fuck why didn't I pick Tatsu?
*edits*

BTW I'm digging all the top 8 MODOK's I'm seeing. Played him in Vanilla a lot and his rushdown was a blast the way you could bounce them around. Plus his bomb assist is one of the most evil things in the game when you know how to play with it. It'd be evil on a team with Morrigan during her bullet hell. Did someone do something with him recently or something?

Azure J

Derp, how the hell didn't I catch that detail? Fixing!

I find it kinda interesting that so many people agree that Morrigan is a sleeper top tier legitimately. I saw it the moment it was confirmed that Soul Drain fireballs could be chucked in AV mode and the changes to her flight cancels were demonstrated on screen, but I was clearly thinking in a slanted to rushdown mentality overall. What makes you all say she's tops? Just her zoning game or some combination of that and what I was thinking?

Dahbomb

Morrigan is capable of rushing with an assist or while under the cover of a fireball (which she can confirm off of) and people will get more set ups to absorb meter from the opponent or do AV combos that kill the opponent. Basically the ability to avoid derp > being derp and Morrigan is one of the best characters at avoiding derp. Her Soul + Missile stuff reminds me of Spiral + Sentinel trap and just like that people will figure out tactics against it... it still makes it a tactic that nullifies a good portion of the cast. Vajra and Optic Blast will keep her in check though. Safety of flight cancels also makes it so that the better the player, the better the character.

Azure J

[...]Basically the ability to avoid derp > being derp and Morrigan is one of the best characters at avoiding derp. [...]

This might be the best description of why I love the character and one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. This is also one of the reasons why I believe the biggest reason Zero is currently tops isn't because of damage, he's just too fucking safe in movement thanks in part to how his attacks move about himself.

Best way to counter derp is to travel with stronger derp covering you. :p

shaowebb

Holy CRAP.

Went browsing MODOK combo tech and this vid is INSANE.

Check this setup using Doom and Sent to give MODOK endless snap out kill potential. Most of the other stuff I'd seen or knew about. Miss the guy really...so much fun to get him TAC-ed in and start popping analyze cubes in the sky.

In this game, the top tier characters either need something to stop derp or have a bunch of derp or be able to deal with some predominant type of gameplay(Sj fishing, mindless rushdown, teleport shenanigans, or zoning).

Dorm/Dante/Strider all three do a good job of stopping Sj fishing and Dante deals with rushdown and zoning pretty well due to his normals and specials, range is. Strider deals with a lot of the zoning tactics due to his mobility options.

Morrigan can shut down mindless rushdown and teleport shenanigans like no one's business and can go in as well for some rushdwon.

Dahbomb

I would like to add that all my characters in the top 12 (aside from Vergil because he is Vergil) are fully capable of either rushing down or zoning/controlling space. This is the aspect that I feel differentiates the good from the great. If you are a zoning only character then you are liable to getting beat by teleports or lockdown assist + hard rushdown or Spiral Swords and if you are a rushdown only character then you are liable to getting beat by traps, armor, SJ tactics, counters, get off my assists (Haggar, Hsien Ko and Hulk) and tactics that involve flooding the screen with hitboxes.

Another aspect that differentiates my top 12 from the rest is that again aside from Vergil all of them have great mobility options or air options. It's always great to have top mobility in a Marvel game.

what no love for lariat in assist tier?
Because Lariat is useless against Morrigan + Doom, Viper Seismo pressure, Zero in general, Firebrand and most of the stuff that is listed in these tiers. It's also why Hsien Ko isn't listed in many people's list, it's because this is an assist that is only useful against hard rushdown or if you are actually close to the opponent despite being obscenely good.

Don't worry though, we probably might never get to see this type of meta game with the way things are going. People are going to rely on derp for a long time and characters like Wolverine will run the show and Haggar stops this cold. I still think it's a top assist and most likely will still be a great assist in 10 years but top 3 is difficult to say.

I'm surprised that you would put MODOK or Trish in Spencer's place. They are good, but I don't know if we'll ever see them wrecking at top 8 in a regular way like they should.

I don't see the Spencer train slowing down at all.

The community at large still doesn't agree on a tier list. The Eventhub people laugh at SRKs tier list and the SRK people laugh at Eventhubs tier list. I am sure people here laugh at both. Yeah there are some obvious correlations like Zero the best in every tier list and Hsien Ko/PW being the worst but aside from a few exception it's generally very mixed bag.
The community needs to communicate their ideas to Capcom more effectively when it comes to mechanics and balance. It tends to hit the mark pretty well on some levels though.

Top-high---bottom

I find the talk surrounding these particular levels pretty accurate. We don't need to know that Zero or Wesker are absolute tip top so long as they are in top five or ten. It also doesn't take a 100 page thesis to know that Phoenix Wright and Hsien-Ko suck Donkey balls. Folks in this community love drama and nitpicking too much to come to some basic agreements. Capcom needs all the help it can get as far as I'm concerned. This is especially important if we do want to see more fighters with such a large roster.

shaowebb

I would like to add that all my characters in the top 12 (aside from Vergil because he is Vergil) are fully capable of either rushing down or zoning/controlling space. This is the aspect that I feel differentiates the good from the great. If you are a zoning only character then you are liable to getting beat by teleports or lockdown assist + hard rushdown or Spiral Swords and if you are a rushdown only character then you are liable to getting beat by traps, armor, SJ tactics, counters, get off my assists (Haggar, Hsien Ko and Hulk) and tactics that involve flooding the screen with hitboxes.

Another aspect that differentiates my top 12 from the rest is that again aside from Vergil all of them have great mobility options or air options. It's always great to have top mobility in a Marvel game.

Iron Fist is referred to as "Manly" for a reason. Dude's got boulders to fight in this game with so little options. My kingdom for a roll maneuver or Berzerker Slash option. Dude needs a way to get behind junk badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom