• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
god doom getting his missiles nerfed would be such a huge buff to my hawk/task zoning. just with taskmaster i would be able to kill the doom assist easily.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't know why, I can't stand Hidden Missles. Maybe it's because they stay out so long and I don't want my opponent to control screen space for that long.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd maybe be okay with Hidden Missiles disappearing on hit if Doom stayed on screen only half as long and threw out half as many missiles. It'd be too easy to stuff the assist otherwise.

@VasedSei @jacarandas @Death_Insurance I didn't quit. Just trying to figure out how to minimize the randomness of that game.

Godspeed, Peter

smurfx

get some go again
I'd maybe be okay with Hidden Missiles disappearing on hit if Doom stayed on screen only half as long and threw out half as many missiles. It'd be too easy to stuff the assist otherwise.
who stays out more currently? doom or sentinel? because it feels like sentinel is out there a for a long time and he is a big ass target.

smurfx

get some go again
i get the feeling combo is just saying that and he is really back in the lab trying to become the best spencer and nova again. right now i feel infrit has a better nova/spencer than combo. another guy who i'm noticing is starting to fall behind slightly is fanatiq.

shaowebb

Everyone's mentioned assist nerfs but what are some reasonable assist buffs you feel would be good to add to the game? Nothing that'd break it or be complete shenanigan. Just something you think would help add more viability to a character on teams or to create more setups along the lines of what everyone likes.

Anth0ny

@VasedSei @jacarandas @Death_Insurance I didn't quit. Just trying to figure out how to minimize the randomness of that game.

Good luck with that, Combo.

Did he give a reason why he dropped Taskmaster? I'm not an expert on the character, but he doesn't seem that nerfed compared to his Vanilla counterpart. Huoshen and some other players are still doing mad work with him. Maybe he misses the team synergy he had with She Hulk?

Speaking of She Hulk... man did she get wrecked by the nerf gun. I can't remember the last time I've seen her played on a stream.

Well for my favourite characters, one useful buff would be...

Hsien-Ko and Amaterasu: Why do Henkyo Ki and Solar Flare suck? Change Henkyo Ki to the H version. Solar Flare is just a horrible assist all around. Maybe use the Thunder Edge attack instead. Either way, having both of these assists start from behind your point is really lame.

Nert

Everyone's mentioned assist nerfs but what are some reasonable assist buffs you feel would be good to add to the game? Nothing that'd break it or be complete shenanigan. Just something you think would help add more viability to a character on teams or to create more setups along the lines of what everyone likes.

Certain types of assists (projectiles/beams, OTGs, stuff that keeps people locked down for a while) are almost universally better than other types of assists (shroyuken style anti-airs, situation specific counters, slow/low priority projectiles). Some people have found creative setups for ostensibly terrible assists like Shocking Pink, but for the most part, characters either have nothing useful or one assist that is always chosen. There is no logical split between good point characters and good assist characters, either; Wesker, Doctor Doom, and Dante have great assists.

Broadly speaking, assists that are defensive in nature are too weak compared to ones that open people up or significantly extend combos. Maybe things like Amaterasu's Solar Flare or Magneto's Force Field should have less startup time? Maybe there is a middle ground between the old, broken Double Lariat's invincibility and the several useless shroyuken style assists that can't get through much at all.

smurfx

get some go again
i miss tron so give gustaff fire assist super armor.

Let any character choose any move he/she has as his/her assist.

Done.

Seriously, find me a single move that would break the game if this were done.

Tirael

Pools is going to be a ton of scrub stomping but top 16 is going to be packed with top players. These players should make it out of pools unless there is a killer in the pools that I don't know about.

Mother of God...

Those poor sons of bitches in pools 4, 13, and 16.

Mix ups on incoming characters were ABSURD in Vanilla due to no air X factor as well as XFLVL1.

I agree completely. We may bitch and moan about balance for days and days, but that was an extremely good, extremely important change they made to the game when it was turned into Ultimate.

After the game play/demo/controls reveal, the game is a joke to me.

Full disclosure, the best thing I've said so far about the game BEFORE THIS is that it doesn't look horrible. You're about to hear the new best thing. I honestly think I like LT and RT being your Angel Weapon and Demon Weapon switching better than the weapon switching in DMC4. Having to scroll through 3 of each was cumbersome. The weapon switching in DMC3 was the best, but then again, that game was a masterpiece. That said it was very important for all of your options to be one button press away. It was the same with Vergil, though in a different way.

Although, I'm not entirely sure of the number of Norcal heads coming into play Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, I'm pretty sure, at least, LPN and Dacidbro will be in the building. We're streaming at www.twitch.tv/finestko

Man, you mentioning Dacidbro reminds me, I really wish he'd stick with Cap rather than shuffling around all the time. I love watching him play as him, he makes some amazing decisions and puts on a good show. We don't see enough Caps these days.

Though honestly, it's a lot better than it used to be in Vanilla, with Wolverine, Akuma, Storm, Sent, Mags, Wesker, with possibly Tron and Haggar providing moral support.

Only one I could possibly think of is Nova's slide. It's like, Centurion Rush M or something.
I apologize in advance to Nova players if I got it wrong.

Sixfortyfive

Change Morrigan's Soul Fist assist to Soul Drain.
Change Dormammu's pillar to Flame Carpet and his Liberation assist to Power of the Destructor.
Change Felicia's Sand Splash assist to Toy Touch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Decrease start up on Iron Man's Smart bomb OTG assist. No reason why it's that long. One of those choices that's a headscratcher.

Only one I could possibly think of is Nova's slide. It's like, Centurion Rush M or something.
I apologize in advance to Nova players if I got it wrong.
How is it significantly stronger than Quick Work?

Change Dormammu's pillar to Flame Carpet and his Liberation assist to Power of the Destructor.
Tracking Purification please!
Agreed on the Morrigan change.
Why Sand Splash to Toy Touch?

Decrease start up on Iron Man's Smart bomb OTG assist. No reason why it's that long. One of those choices that's a headscratcher.
A lot of the OTG assists are strangely long. I think one of the reason Wesker is so prolific is that his OTG comes out very fast.

Nert

Let any character choose any move he/she has as his/her assist.

Done.

Wesker's one frame command grab. Super Skrull's command grabs. Dante's Psycho Crusher. Arthur's crossbow while in gold armor. Probably Chris's Magnum.

Although it would be really fun to be able to have Phoenix Wright pick up evidence as an assist :D

shaowebb

Give it back to Wright's, as well.
God YES. I would love some armor on his assists.

I really like the assist changes on that list. Especially Flame Carpet. That'd be a really good one to have on deck

Yeah long winded assists that are supposed to be OTG's kind of mess with timing. I'd be down for making the assist come out faster so it'd be easier to work with. Personally, i'd like to see a couple of assists simply sped up to a degree.

Nerdgasm: Photon Shot assist.

Wesker's one frame command grab. Super Skrull's command grabs.
Do you really think those would be good assists? lol

Dante's Psycho Crusher.
The standard of having no aerial assists still holds, I imagine. Thus also no Magnetic Blast, Doom laser gun, etc. I'm talking about extending the rules, not eradicating them. It would be too silly to have a Sentinel aerial Rocket Punch L/M/H, an aerial Trish trap, etc. If they really wanted to, it would need to be the character coming in, jumping, and then performing the move. If that were the case, Vortex would not be OP at all. It probably wouldn't even be good.

Arthur's crossbow while in gold armor.
I see no problem with this.

Probably Chris's Magnum.
You mean he might get picked? lol

Although it would be really fun to be able to have Phoenix Wright pick up evidence as an assist :D
Since it would be input-based, you'd only get to pick up one slot for your assist - pretty bad IMO.

What would be a good order for Firebrand/Frank/Skrull? I wanna practice using the Firebrand unblockable, but I also want to be able to level up Frank as a backup.

Sixfortyfive

Why Sand Splash to Toy Touch?
The former is OTG and 3(?) hits. The later is OTG + low and only 1 hit. It would be roughly as good as Wesker's OTG.

Rolling Buckler would still be useful as an alternative low assist because it's better for lockdown than Toy Touch and is an invincible CC.

Nert

Nerdgasm: Photon Shot assist.

Do you really think those would be good assists? lol

After you reminded me that assists all have the startup period of hopping on the screen before performing the move (of course I would forget something like that in a theorycraft discussion), yeah, they would be pretty bad : /

The powered up bow and the magnum would just destroy all other projectile assists in a zoning war, though. Even if they aren't great point characters, I never really liked the philosophy of having lousy point characters with overly strong assists in the game.

Also, would this proposed system (where all ground moves can be mapped as assists) keep each move exactly as it is, or would it have to tweak some? Would Haggar get his vanilla Lariat back? Would Stars & Stripes be invincible as an assist?

shaowebb

sigh...why can't I quit you Marvel?

I'm thinking about playing some again because I love Iron Fist that damned much. Been toying with the idea of Iron Fist + Shuma Assist. Any thoughts?

What would be a good order for Firebrand/Frank/Skrull? I wanna practice using the Firebrand unblockable, but I also want to be able to level up Frank as a backup.
You have the correct order.

The former is OTG and 3(?) hits. The later is OTG + low and only 1 hit. It would be roughly as good as Wesker's OTG.

Rolling Buckler would still be useful as an alternative low assist because it's better for lockdown than Toy Touch and is an invincible CC.
Gotcha.

The powered up bow and the magnum would just destroy all other projectile assists in a zoning war, though. Even if they aren't great point characters, I never really liked the philosophy of having lousy point characters with overly strong assists in the game.
I'm not a fan of "assist tier" characters either, but the best thing that can be done to help that out is get rid of "point tier" characters like Firebrand and C. Viper by giving them good assist options. Then it's easier to argue for character buffs.

IMO, Arthur's Crossbow is really slow to fire on the ground. Even though it sounds good, I would take gold daggers or a gold lance over it. You would still need to power Arthur up to get the boosted arrows, of course. The arrows actually have a weird homing mechanism that makes them prone to missing in my experience.

Chris' magnum is definitely strong, but this is repeatedly becoming an aerial-based game. Dr. Doom is everywhere, but Plasma Beam isn't, if you follow me. It would likely be one of the best projectile assists in the game for keepaway, though. I don't think that would make it too good.

Also, would this proposed system (where all ground moves can be mapped as assists) keep each move exactly as it is, or would it have to tweak some? Would Haggar get his vanilla Lariat back? Would Stars & Stripes be invincible as an assist?
I'm not a big fan of invincible assists - I prefer things that encourage thoughtful play. Old lariat made some characters completely helpless in a matchup. So, I'm all for minor tweaks being made to moves. Like I said, I want tracking Purification. ;-)

sigh...why can't I quit you Marvel?

I'm thinking about playing some again because I love Iron Fist that damned much. Been toying with the idea of Iron Fist + Shuma Assist. Any thoughts?
Why that team?

shaowebb

Why that team?

I like Shuma Assist and I tend to play low tier. Shuma tends to mess with anyone jumping and shooting to stay out and it seemed fitting. Besides that I'm curious about whether or not Shuma Assist is of any use in going for jump in stuff with Iron Fist given his crossups. If folks here like this idea I'm open to third picks.

In the past I played:

• Ryu
  • Sentinel
  • Haggar
  • Chun Li
  • Taskmaster
  • Storm
I also liked playing as:

*most of the cast*

But I never really stuck with any of those last guys very long. Sadly, I never really got into Wesker, Zero, Dr. Doom, or Strider who would all be decent to have in one way or another. I'm open to suggestions. Hell I really Like Iron Fist so I guess I'm open to anyone who can come up with a scary Iron Fist team period really.

Honestly, Iron Fist needs doom missiles. Fuck, everybody needs doom missiles. It does everything. Best screen control, best OTG, great block and hitstun, covers everything, c-c-c-c-combo breaker.

Top 3 assists in the game, bar none:

• Hidden Missiles
  • Slant Shot
  • Disruptor

I think Wesker's OTG is the only fast one because it's the only one that can't Happy Birthday IIRC.

No explanation for Smart Bombs wonkiness. Oh wait, there is -- they're one of Iron Man's moves :/

Also, Magnetic moves would get silly as hell as an assist. A lot of moves would be, and this game is already MARVELOUS.

Hulk's inverted Log Trap would be hilarious though :lol

Dahbomb

Honestly, Iron Fist needs doom missiles. Fuck, everybody needs doom missiles. It does everything. Best screen control, best OTG, great block and hitstun, covers everything, c-c-c-c-combo breaker.

Top 3 assists in the game, bar none:

• Hidden Missiles
    [*]Slant Shot
    [*]Disruptor
Dat obvious bias.

No way Slant shot and Disruptor are top 5. Drones, Jam Session, Vajra and Tatsu have them beat. Disruptor is only good for teleport mix ups and Slant shot is only good for mix ups/resets (aka it's only really good if you get the hit in).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom