• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Spent all weekend in Atlanta playing Marvel with various people. That place is Hawkeye city. Was in a 32+ man tournament on Saturday night and I swear there were at least 10 Hawkeye players there.

My theory on how to fight Morrigan/Doom is standing up to scrutiny, but I must admit that it's harder to execute than it looks just because your spacial awareness has to be completely on point. Normally I'm mostly focusing on only the opponent's point character; in that match-up you really have to watch the entire screen at all times.

Dahbomb

Anything interesting happen in Civil War 4 top-8 for Marvel? That's around the time I went to bed last night.
Some interesting play in top 8 overall plus some pop offs, chokes, clutches, salt and hype. Lots of Haggar pipe, Hulk smash, Chris Magnums, tons of lame play by Morrigan and Doom missiles.

smurfx

get some go again
Spent all weekend in Atlanta playing Marvel with various people. That place is Hawkeye city. Was in a 32+ man tournament on Saturday night and I swear there were at least 10 Hawkeye players there.

My theory on how to fight Morrigan/Doom is standing up to scrutiny, but I must admit that it's harder to execute than it looks just because your spacial awareness has to be completely on point. Normally I'm mostly focusing on only the opponent's point character; in that match-up you really have to watch the entire screen at all times.
yeah its easier said than done and the person with the best timing will win. its also frustrating as you find out just how much recovery hawkeye's H air shot has compared to how little morrigan has.

Anything interesting happen in Civil War 4 top-8 for Marvel? That's around the time I went to bed last night.

The winners finals had the biggest "you hate to see these kind of things happen" moment ever. The entire top 8 was actually great and a must watch, all the haters don't know what they are talking about.

Bizazedo

It's frustrating because, after watching Civil War, I'd love to see some of the guys here try and take that team on (or at least some of "our" guys teams).

Not mine, necessarily, since it's not built for it (although Nova has some serious potential to fuck them up). Maybe not even Killa Sasa's, although I'd like to see how he handled it, but..

Frantic? Smurfx? I'd love to see that, especially Frantic's keepaway style + Vajra.

I really need to learn an alt team, but it's so hard after establishing a team / character for me in a fighting game.

smurfx

get some go again
i would actually consider dropping haggar vs chris g and put strider in there just for vajra. seeing as how it would be a keep away vs keep away battle. i'm not too afraid of doom or akuma against any of my characters.

JeTmAn81

I'd definitely love to see some of the "LOL salty FGC'ers are lazy against Morrigan" crowd come up against Chris G in a tournament and dismantle his Morrigan team, since obviously all it takes is a little extra thought and work, right?

Azure J

I'd definitely love to see some of the "LOL salty FGC'ers are lazy against Morrigan" crowd come up against Chris G in a tournament and dismantle his Morrigan team, since obviously all it takes is a little extra thought and work, right?

Chris G is too fucking solid (the rate of his Soul Fist to Fly/Unflys is very telling), but you can't deny that dealing with assists cripples the SouSou game.

Frantic

Frantic? Smurfx? I'd love to see that, especially Frantic's keepaway style + Vajra.
I've played a quite a lot of Morrigan/Doom teams recently, funnily enough(one in particular surprised me at how good they were). I've always done well against them, because Dante has too many tools to avoid, go through, and ignore Soul Fist spam. It also helps to play a team like Dante/Trish/Strider(a team I've been experimenting with more recently). Build some meter, clear out Soul Fists with Twister, Million Dollars, DHC into Maximum Voltage to blow up Doom calls. Maximum Voltage has a wonky hitbox and protects Trish from any Hidden Missiles that fly free, so you can end up doing 50-70% off Doom's life bar with something like that.

Really, I would love to play against ChrisG, just to see how I would do. I generally do better against the slower, patient play than the "stay in your face until I open you up and you die" play most people are fond of.

smurfx

get some go again
a lot of people changed their teams and came up with strategies against phoenix in vanilla and it was seen as something that had to be done but i've yet to see the community try and do the same with morrigan/doom. everybody wants to do their usual stuff against them. i've hardly seen any counter picking. too bad honzo gonzo dropped hawkeye as i would have liked to see him go against chris g.

8dYxV.png

Bizazedo

Yeah. I would still use my team against him just because LOL Nova + my Zero style is more patient / Buster oriented, but I definitely would not be favored just looking at a team versus team match-up. S'why I'd want to see Frantic and Smurf.

I know Kinderparty came pretty close to knocking him out using Taskmaster / Hawkeye / Arthur (I forget who he started, Hawk or Task, but..), just need to see more teams like that versus him

It's frustrating because, after watching Civil War, I'd love to see some of the guys here try and take that team on (or at least some of "our" guys teams).

Not mine, necessarily, since it's not built for it (although Nova has some serious potential to fuck them up). Maybe not even Killa Sasa's, although I'd like to see how he handled it, but..

I really need to learn an alt team, but it's so hard after establishing a team / character for me in a fighting game.

Honestly my plans revolve around staying mobile. I've played against solid MorriDoom online and while it's not ChrisG obviously + lol online, dude's pumping Pacmen out around the same rate. At the same time, I can get an idea of what they're trying to do in specific situations, so I can take some of that with me as well. Dude doesn't just use lag tactics.

If he starts Morri -- holding forward at the beginning of the round. People already screw up by not doing that and giving her real estate right off the bat. Frustrating to watch. Spider-Man closes the distances and Hawkeye takes care of Doom. Once I catch up to her, I have the hitboxes to make her worry or at least think properly of how to escape. As well, Stings, Zips and Web Throws make sure they can't go too buckwild on Pacmen immediately.

If he starts Akuma/Anchor/Whoever -- maul them, and make sure to kill with the welcome mixup when she comes. No matter what, my welcome mixup with Peter ensures you hit the ground and eat some frame traps. Blocking in this game isn't where you want to be. Even if Spider-Man dies with this setup, I'm not too worried as long as Morri isn't on point. Hawkeye/X-23 is solid enough, especially if I have the bar and XF (which I almost always do) to kill whoever's out with an X-23 XF guard cancel and Troll Nap whoever's next.

My setup allows me to OHKO Morri as long as she doesn't have 3 bars for her air super. Drill Kick won't reach a properly spaced UWT reset using my X-23 assist, and her dash is too wonky to let her escape.

It's a really momentum based matchup. I can avoid Salt Fists fairly well with Peter, and Hawkeye cleans up Doom more often than not.

Not a clean counter ala Vergil, or maybe something like a two bar Sentinel + beam DHC (and maybe even XF) to blow up even just one predictable Doom call, but definitely better than most as long as you don't let her get started.

I really think Wolverine can maim Morri pretty significantly as well, just by virtue of having the scariest opening gambit. Commands so much space right off the bat. If she's not on point, then welcome mixup when she comes in.

JeTmAn81

Anybody else playing an Avengers team this week? I've been running Cap (Shield Slash), Hulk (Gamma Wave) and Hawkeye (Triple Shot). It's pretty much the best Avengers team configuration I could come up with, leaving out Iron Man and Thor who I don't really know how to play. It works pretty well as a team. Cap to Hulk is a pretty nasty DHC in the corner. Gamma Wave also lets me get a relaunch with Cap in the corner.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Anybody else playing an Avengers team this week? I've been running Cap (Shield Slash), Hulk (Gamma Wave) and Hawkeye (Triple Shot). It's pretty much the best Avengers team configuration I could come up with, leaving out Iron Man and Thor who I don't really know how to play. It works pretty well as a team. Cap to Hulk is a pretty nasty DHC in the corner.
Only always!

I think my Hawkguy team would do good vs. Chris G. Though if I was the one playing the team I'd choke hard.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hawkeye/Wesker/Strider.

I think the second slot would be best for Dante. But I can't play him. With Wesker I can get longer Hawkeye combos but I think Jam Session would help the zoning.

Bizazedo

Honestly my plans revolve around staying mobile.... <Good Stuff>

..I really think Wolverine can maim Morri pretty significantly as well, just by virtue of having the scariest opening gambit. Commands so much space right off the bat. If she's not on point, then welcome mixup when she comes in.

Okay, then yes, you, Smurfx, Frantic. I'd love to see any of you versus of that team :).

And yeah, Wolverine's forward walk speed at the beginning of the match is absolutely terrifying to my slow-ass Zero.

JeTmAn81

Hawkeye/Wesker/Strider.

I think the second slot would be best for Dante. But I can't play him. With Wesker I can get longer Hawkeye combos but I think Jam Session would help the zoning.

IMO that team would be better with the first two characters switched. Wesker benefits greatly from a beam/projectile assist, while Hawkeye doesn't really need the combo extension. Wesker is a point character all the way (I run Wesker/Dante/Strider).

Also, I find that Jam Session works really well as a supplement to good zoning like Hawkeye's. Your opponents often start super jumping to try to get over the arrows and Jam Session knocks them right down. My all-zoning team is Hawkeye/Taskmaster/Dante.

LakeEarth

IMO that team would be better with the first two characters switched. Wesker benefits greatly from a beam/projectile assist, while Hawkeye doesn't really need the combo extension. Wesker is a point character all the way (I run Wesker/Dante/Strider).
Also, Wesker is a better battery, and Hawkeye can spend it.

Justin Wong Wolverine'd the shit out of Chris G if you guys forgot.
Yeah but that was months ago. At Civil War, Chris G seemed to know what to do when he expected an air throw. The times when he got air thrown was usually when Wesker was XF3, zipped across the ground and got him before he could react to it.

Azure J

I've played a quite a lot of Morrigan/Doom teams recently, funnily enough(one in particular surprised me at how good they were). I've always done well against them, because Dante has too many tools to avoid, go through, and ignore Soul Fist spam. It also helps to play a team like Dante/Trish/Strider(a team I've been experimenting with more recently). Build some meter, clear out Soul Fists with Twister, Million Dollars, DHC into Maximum Voltage to blow up Doom calls. Maximum Voltage has a wonky hitbox and protects Trish from any Hidden Missiles that fly free, so you can end up doing 50-70% off Doom's life bar with something like that.

Really, I would love to play against ChrisG, just to see how I would do. I generally do better against the slower, patient play than the "stay in your face until I open you up and you die" play most people are fond of.

It's really funny that you say this. I'm beginning to notice something about my play that has similar roots to your conclusion. I think my best style of play involves griefing people into making mistakes or eating one too many mistakes. As it stands right now, while I do have some ok pressure strings I like to try out, I'm not at the "OMG DAT RUSHDOWN" level yet, so controlling space or forcing people to play guessing games while limiting their ability to do their own thing is where I really shine (and have the most fun). If I can develop some damaging combos and that ability to confirm into anything, I feel like I'll be better equipped for the long run than just going for what does damage the fastest.

Hey man, why do the pictures around your avatar keep lighting up as time goes on?

They're different characters from the (U)MVC3 roster I've showed interest in as per that character ring in the promo art. They're the ones with actual colors in them versus the rest that remain greyed out. Color changing isn't something that should be happening since its a preset bunch. :lol

Honestly my plans revolve around staying mobile. I've played against solid MorriDoom online and while it's not ChrisG obviously + lol online, dude's pumping Pacmen out around the same rate. At the same time, I can get an idea of what they're trying to do in specific situations, so I can take some of that with me as well. Dude doesn't just use lag tactics.

If he starts Morri -- holding forward at the beginning of the round. People already screw up by not doing that and giving her real estate right off the bat. Frustrating to watch. Spider-Man closes the distances and Hawkeye takes care of Doom. Once I catch up to her, I have the hitboxes to make her worry or at least think properly of how to escape. As well, Stings, Zips and Web Throws make sure they can't go too buckwild on Pacmen immediately.

If he starts Akuma/Anchor/Whoever -- maul them, and make sure to kill with the welcome mixup when she comes. No matter what, my welcome mixup with Peter ensures you hit the ground and eat some frame traps. Blocking in this game isn't where you want to be. Even if Spider-Man dies with this setup, I'm not too worried as long as Morri isn't on point. Hawkeye/X-23 is solid enough, especially if I have the bar and XF (which I almost always do) to kill whoever's out with an X-23 XF guard cancel and Troll Nap whoever's next.

My setup allows me to OHKO Morri as long as she doesn't have 3 bars for her air super. Drill Kick won't reach a properly spaced UWT reset using my X-23 assist, and her dash is too wonky to let her escape.

It's a really momentum based matchup. I can avoid Salt Fists fairly well with Peter, and Hawkeye cleans up Doom more often than not.

Not a clean counter ala Vergil, or maybe something like a two bar Sentinel + beam DHC (and maybe even XF) to blow up even just one predictable Doom call, but definitely better than most as long as you don't let her get started.

I really think Wolverine can maim Morri pretty significantly as well, just by virtue of having the scariest opening gambit. Commands so much space right off the bat. If she's not on point, then welcome mixup when she comes in.

*Notes things to watch out for*

You know, this post makes me realize that I need to think about incoming mixups more on the receiving end. Maybe it's because my competition hasn't gotten to the point of appreciating the use of welcome mixups, but I really hadn't put much thought into avoiding them. I was thinking up arc "hop dash" or Fly-Multi Dash-Unfly would be good enough. :lol

Fuck I need to level up this Vergil/Doom/Morrigan B team already. Marvel, why can't I get enough of you, growing pains and all?

smurfx

get some go again
hey azure you got live yet? i want to play you. i want to play frantic too since i need more time against vergil shenanigans.

Bizazedo

It's really funny that you say this. I'm beginning to notice something about my play that has similar roots to your conclusion. I think my best style of play involves griefing people into making mistakes or eating one too many mistakes. As it stands right now, while I do have some ok pressure strings I like to try out, I'm not at the "OMG DAT RUSHDOWN" level yet, so controlling space or forcing people to play guessing games while limiting their ability to do their own thing is where I really shine (and have the most fun). If I can develop some damaging combos and that ability to confirm into anything, I feel like I'll be better equipped for the long run than just going for what does damage the fastest.

If that's your style, do it. Nothing wrong at all with it. Hell, Smurf's entire strategy revolves around wait for the other guy to do something stupid and make them pay. And it works.

Just make sure y'do it right :).

Just catching up...
Thanks a bunch for the source. I made an account and I have a feeling that I'll be combing through Pixiv a lot in the future.
Hsien Ko in Project X over Morrigan? What has the world come to? Vergil needs to be in the game as the 2nd DMC character for sure.
I seriously want to know who is behind Hsien-Ko getting so many appearances. Someone there must be the biggest fanboy ever to get her into MvC3, that and Puzzle fighter a while back. Wasn't she also being considered for TvC? Madness
I didn't think you guys wanted another Marvel any time soon? 50 characters, the updated game is barely half a year old, I thought it'd be best to just let it ride out for a few years as it is.
I need moar characters. The game would have been perfect with an AE style update if UMvC3 had more characters like Niitsuma wanted. There are some holes in the roster that need to be filled. I also want to use Gene already.
Spoilers for DMC and DmC:
Mundus sounds like a pain in the ass.
I'd maybe be okay with Hidden Missiles disappearing on hit if Doom stayed on screen only half as long and threw out half as many missiles. It'd be too easy to stuff the assist otherwise.
Yeah, I don't know about the missiles disappearing. That assist can be wrecked pretty easily...
Man, nobody posts in the SFxT thread anymore, 5 days for half a page lol
I want to post in there sometimes, but then I stop myself and just go about my day.
Marvel is the crap game, huh guys?
SRK is the worst when it comes to UMvC3. The first one had lots of issues, but UMvC3 is probably the best fighter Capcom has put out in this generation as far as I'm concerned. It's got the best balance between fun, aesthetics and gameplay compared to SFIV. The other game will need a serious overhaul to be in the same league as Mahvel.
I don't get people. I saw SFxT videos early on and thought "this looks boring". Somehow, people got hyped about it though. Nothing about it ever looked exciting to me.
It's a Capcom game. The hype was going to be there no matter what.
Anyway, I think a lot of people overestimate how good older fighting games are. If ST was released tomorrow it'd get dropped in a week. CvS2 would be about as popular as KOFXIII.
ST would make many people rage. I'd fucking love it if we got a CvS2 OE. It seems like that game didn't have as many bad American ports like Vampire Savior. Whipping up something that is nearly arcade perfect ought to be a snap.
ST everybody would hate the damage output like they do in MvC3. Funny thing is, outside of XF and TAC, MvC3 is the closest to the old fighting games due to the damage output and the punishing being a major gameplay element.
X-factor takes the high damage and just goes full retard with it though.
If CvS2 were in 3d, and had 3 balance revisions after being the first fighting game in a long drought, it would be as popular as SF4.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the idea of people being biased for whatever game they tried first...that isn't exclusive to old games.
Indeed
Also I don't understand how people call games like Skullgirl and KOF "honest" games.

Even KOF isn't really an honest game. In fact, I really haven't ever played a 2D honest game. Only fighting game I consider truly honest are VF4/5 and probably Tekken 5 HDR/6 (older Tekken games were super cheap especially 4 and before). Even SC and DOA have legit cheap stuff and mechanics.

These days any thing without a full on comeback mechanic is considered "honest".
Who is calling Skullgirls honest(hopefully I didn't let that slip)? It's a Mahvel styled game(even if you guys can't see it). It's meant to piss you off with zoners who pack grab lvl 3, headless NOM loops, Catellites/Catouroboros, stupid high low super armored mixups, input lag poisons, MvC2 style assist juggles and command grab assists. That game is dirty as hell.
And the only reason I liked it was because Ryu shot Kamehamehas and I was like "WHOOOAA"
That game was fucking amazing. Picking Ryu and shooting his Shinku Hadouken at home for the first time was a blast. Turning into Dark Ryu was one of those SSJ Goku moments for me. Chun Li's air super kick was crazy and I was dying when I found out I could break one of the stage's walls and go into the bathing area. Let's not even get into the secret characters haha.
People are saying SG is honest? I wouldn't call any game made like a Vs game..."honest." In comparison to UMvC3 it is though...I guess.
It's not nearly as far off as you think. There is a particular glitch(well... it was put in there intentionally) in Skullgirls that was made of bullshit in one of Capcom's previous titles. Thank God Skullgirls doesn't have X-factor too.
I didn't expect that. Definitely one of my top five fighters ever.
Almost no one is counter picking against him. Smurf mentions this below. She sure as hell ain't no Phoenix. Josh Wong put on a hell of a game against Chris G recently(on the Break, right?) with Zero who has low health. It takes some patience and skill to deal with her, but the same could be said about any good character in this game. Missiles are the real threat though.
a lot of people changed their teams and came up with strategies against phoenix in vanilla and it was seen as something that had to be done but i've yet to see the community try and do the same with morrigan/doom. everybody wants to do their usual stuff against them. i've hardly seen any counter picking. too bad honzo gonzo dropped hawkeye as i would have liked to see him go against chris g.
That was the first sword related image I thought of when people mentioned Chris G and his growing sword collection. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to make it lol.

Anyways...

Yeah, too many people are just sticking with the usual strategies. It's not like counterpicking against this team involves killing your old team. It usually just means that they need a backup character or two like Hawkeye and Strider. Can anyone tell me why Dr.Strange isn't being mentioned at all? Dr.Strange, Dormammu and Morrigan meter assists sounds like something that could keep her at bay for a little while.

Edit: Strange won't work. Her fly cancels are too fast.
think i'm going to go into the lab and try out a few strategies against morrigan/doom.
I'd help if I didn't have the most fraudulent Doom and Morrigan on the planet. Damn, I can't believe I suck with a 360 pad now when it used to be the opposite.

Azure J

No Live yet, I really want to play with a bunch of you soon though. I need to learn more about approaching and how to properly call assists.

Tirael

I seriously want to know who is behind Hsien-Ko getting so many appearances. Someone there must be the biggest fanboy ever to get her into MvC3, that and Puzzle fighter a while back. Wasn't she also being considered for TvC? Madness

I know man, it's uncanny.

I need moar characters. The game would have been perfect with an AE style update if UMvC3 had more characters like Niitsuma wanted. There are some holes in the roster that need to be filled. I also want to use Gene already.

A lot of us feel this way. And awesome for the Gene love.

Who is calling Skullgirls honest(hopefully I didn't let that slip)? It's a Mahvel styled game(even if you guys can't see it). It's meant to piss you off with zoners who pack grab lvl 3, headless NOM loops, Catellites/Catouroboros, stupid high low super armored mixups, input lag poisons, MvC2 style assist juggles and command grab assists.

Doesn't Miss Fortune have a super that's Berserker Barrage, and she yells "Berserker Barrage"? It's not even trying to be subtle with the references.

It's not nearly as far off as you think. There is a particular glitch(well... it was put in there intentionally) in Skullgirls that was made of bullshit in one of Capcom's previous titles. Thank God Skullgirls doesn't have X-factor too.

Wait, what's the glitch? I'm not aware of it.

Wouldnt Weskers proectile counter work vs Morrigan? Idont think i remember seeing Unknown try it

It's spacing dependent. If you're too far away, then she'll have time to block it. If she's too high up, then she can unfly and combo you. When it works though, it works wonders.

Solune

ST would make many people rage. I'd fucking love it if we got a CvS2 OE. It seems like that game didn't have as many bad American ports like Vampire Savior. Whipping up something that is nearly arcade perfect ought to be a snap.

CvS2 OE Would be amazing, I wouldn't care if it ended up dead like 3S. I think the main problem is Capcom paying SNK or whoever is holding the rights for the characters. I mean even Capcom JP had to renew licenses or whatever to get their own Rival Schools onto PSN, which probably means no US release at all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Justin Wong Wolverine'd the shit out of Chris G if you guys forgot.
I honestly think Wolverine is worse in that match-up than people tend to think. She's got good enough walk speed to avoid most opening match gambits and I'm pretty sure her hitbox makes it difficult to hit her with instant overheads. And that match-up is awful for Wolverine if she ever gets started.

Bizazedo

Problem is it's hard as hell to use properly (albeit, it's the easiest of his 3 non-hyper counters) due to the speed of the game and it can be blocked.

Which is amusing.

I'll never forget getting the low version of his counter off on someone, but they had triggered X-factor, so during the freeze he saw Wesker appearing behind him and blocked it.

Yay.

It should still be used more, though, since it works on assist projectiles.

Bizazedo

GGs Smurf, need to run and get some food.

Tried some new tech on you. Some worked. Some got me killed, but going to blame online. Like, I figured out I can do a Nova Rocket Tackle immediatetely after Rekkoha starts, land, and do a Nova Force in the same combo lol.

But, I lagged and screwed it up on a happy birthday. I wanted to show you, too :(. Ah well.

Either way, once I stopped doing the stuff that didn't work, was good. Hope you learned some stuff, too. I liked the attempted adaptation to rocket tackles using Haggar, it was smart.

smurfx

get some go again
god you won't believe how frustrated i am right now. so many times i attempted to tech your throws and almost never got them. not only that i was messing up so much stuff. lost all of my momentum when we got disconnected. :( lol its almost the exact same formula as last time. i got a small lead and we got disconnected and you came back way stronger.

Bizazedo

god you won't believe how frustrated i am right now. so many times i attempted to tech your throws and almost never got them. not only that i was messing up so much stuff. lost all of my momentum when we got disconnected. :( lol its almost the exact same formula as last time. i got a small lead and we got disconnected and you came back way stronger.
It's Mahvel, baby. It's streaky as hell. When we reconnected I also decided to play safer and just try to Buster you into oblivion.

And I just checked, I can Rekkoha --> Takedown --> Nova Force --> Rekkoha all without X-factor.

lol?

And yeah, Smurf, you taught me something tonight. Be careful with the Takedowns when Haggar is ready :) That suuuuucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom