• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
New Taskmaster tech. Adds 80k or so to his bnb :p
i just found out i can add a whole bunch of damage to any combo i start with shield skills if i catch people in the corner. this is pretty huge for me as i can now get close to 800k off a shield skill.

smurfx

get some go again
Kick ass.

High five :).

Too bad there's not a team Marvel thing at Evo.
haha i lost the rematch though. beat his zero team but lost to his wesker team. i shouldn't of started haggar. :( i did good in the rematch though and got him down to dark phoenix and even managed to gimlet her once but got hit with her hyper in the end after trying to punish a teleport.

Vice

Hello MarvelGaf,

I need help with team composition. I'm currently using Wolverine(berserker Barrage)/Cap (charging star) but I need help with a third.

I just can't make up my mind on who else to put on this team. I'd really appreciate some help.

Grecco

Tatsu assist to help Wolverine combo off an OTG and general lockdown, right?

I was also considering Taskmaster(up arrow) or Doom(missiles).

Tatsu for both Cartwheel and Berserker slash cross ups. Youd probably have to figure out a Cap assist for OTG combos with Wolvie.

Vice

Tatsu for both Cartwheel and Berserker slash cross ups. Youd probably have to figure out a Cap assist for OTG combos with Wolvie.

Charging star works for that. The two have some good synergy. It's pretty easy for the two of them to DHC off of each other as well. Barrage assist helps with cartwheel crossups as well. Horrible for combo extension anywhere but the corner though.

Shiedl slash works too, and it's ability to pull an opponent out of the corner leads to some cool setups.

Edit: I was considering running Doom with missiles to allow for some gimmicky Cap and Wolverine combos. With Cap on second Wolverine has an assist to help with his otg and Doom missiles can also be used to extend combos. Missiles also let Captain play as lame as he possibly can while I try to make an opening. The problem is it leaves Doom as anchor and I don't think he's too strong in that position.

Solune

Thanks. I feel like the Marvel thread isn't the Marvel thread without some type of Vids being shown off at least once in a while.

--

Also for those of you who weren't watching LIJoe's stream, basically Fanatiq poppin' off and calling RayRay free, Money Match for 2k(?) Upcoming Sunday not sure of the date. Don't have all the details but yah I feel like that type of news should be worth mentioning.

Zissou

Dante's dp.L eats all projectiles. It's too bad Dante players only know how to air dash into j.H.

Woah, I did not know this. I sometimes use 236.m.m to eat a projectile so I can call doom beam assist to punish them during recovery, but that's not projectile invincible, it just has really high durability. Does dp.l behave similarly or is it actually briefly projectile invincible or something?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My favorite wtf Taskmaster combo is using his X-factor loop without X-factor (Shield Skill into horizontal arrows for 7 or so reps). Only works on smaller characters though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Fanatiq calling RayRay free? LOL. Anyways, can't wait to watch the money match.

I really want to see him square off against Joker's Magnus armed with Stark Industries behind him.

Woah, I did not know this. I sometimes use 236.m.m to eat a projectile so I can call doom beam assist to punish them during recovery, but that's not projectile invincible, it just has really high durability. Does dp.l behave similarly or is it actually briefly projectile invincible or something?

10 points low

Card Boy

Banned
Game is dead online. Ranked, Player and Heroes & Heralds is dead on the PS3. Even Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe has more people playing.

I don't understand why the game has an OT2, when there's no one playing.

Vice

Game is dead online. Ranked, Player and Heroes & Heralds is dead on the PS3. Even Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe has more people playing.

Marvel is a game that appeals to a very dedicated but small fanbase.

smurfx

get some go again

plenty of people on 360 marvel.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

This is practically the only video game I play, but I haven't played online since December because online is nearly pointless.

If you're going to play online, you should use Quick Match if you aren't doing so already. The search filters aren't implemented well and limit your potential pairings more than they should.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

I don't know where you live because there may be timezone differences. But I get matches easily.

Azure J

Dante's dp.L eats all projectiles. It's too bad Dante players only know how to air dash into j.H.

I am determined to make some sort of Twister/Tempest BnB just because of how often this attribute as saved me and started a counter attack in one go. Only thing I have so far is Twister - Tempest - XFC - Hammer - which while serviceable, still feels horribly unoptimized.

The three most underrated Dante moves (i.e. ones I never see people use enough) are probably Twister/Tempest, Revolver, and Million Carats.

Frantic

10 points low
Actually, no. It's 10 frames x 5 low durability points. It's technically a beam, though normal beams go through it(since Twister is active for 40 frames, and there are 10 frames of durability, there are gaps that beams can go through). Million Carats has projectile absorbing properties rather than durability points. It absorbs all low durability projectiles during its active frames.

Azure Jericho said:
The three most underrated Dante moves (i.e. ones I never see people use enough) are probably Twister/Tempest, Revolver, and Million Carats.
I'd say Weasel Shot should be on there, too. Such an amazing move.

Zissou

I thought million carats had some number of medium durability points, so it would absorb all low durability projectiles, but could also absorb a golden lance or whatever - though I suppose there are so few medium durability projectiles that this doesn't really matter. Also, what uses have you found for weasel shot? You can end your blockstrings safely and far away from your opponent, but why not just stinger bold canceled into 214.l or whatever else?

Frantic

I thought million carats had some number of medium durability points, so it would absorb all low durability projectiles, but could also absorb a golden lance or whatever - though I suppose there are so few medium durability projectiles that this doesn't really matter. Also, what uses have you found for weasel shot? You can end your blockstrings safely and far away from your opponent, but why not just stinger bold canceled into 214.l or whatever else?
I've tested Million Carats pretty extensively. It can't absorb any medium durability projectiles(which is mainly just Golden Lance) but it can absorb all low durability projectiles(like Piercing Bolt and the like). It also can only hit one character before the projectile disappears. Once it hits a character, it can't hit a second, and it won't absorb projectiles anymore.

As for Weasel Shot, I like it to escape, but if you have a beam or something like Rapid Slash/Vajra, you can time the assist call with Weasel Shot to set up an immediate, safe left/right. It's also so insanely + on block that you can keep pressure going. Just don't use it on Rocket Raccoon.

Zissou

So you use the superior frame advantage from weasel shot to get in a safe assist call to do a teleport mix-up? I'll have to give it a shot.

Were you the one who mentioned possibly making some kind of dante tutorial a while back?

Zissou

Good luck with eventually getting it out the door. I need every bit of help out there to elevate my dante play from super-scrub to some remote level of decency. The dante boards on srk have always been quite active, but the community seems to be really focused on new combo technology to the detriment of being able to find readily accessible info on neutral game stuff or how to properly utilitze many of dante's lesser-used moves. If I'm not doing a combo, most people would think I'd never played the character before. Herp derp box dash H, some random air plays, air S canceled into some combination of hammer and air play, and random teleports with either vajra or doom beam. Maybe throw in a stinger canceled into reverb shock here and there. It works, but it feels shitty to ignore like 80% of what he's capable of.

mr. puppy

Banned
i don't get how we're like 8 months into this game and people are still using doom as anchor. its like the most unscary dark character in the world and so free to everything.

Actually, no. It's 10 frames x 5 low durability points. It's technically a beam, though normal beams go through it(since Twister is active for 40 frames, and there are 10 frames of durability, there are gaps that beams can go through). Million Carats has projectile absorbing properties rather than durability points. It absorbs all low durability projectiles during its active frames.

I'd say Weasel Shot should be on there, too. Such an amazing move.

My bad, I forgot the x 5

LakeEarth

i don't get how we're like 8 months into this game and people are still using doom as anchor. its like the most unscary dark character in the world and so free to everything.

Well it is a conflict in team building ideology. Do you want someone in anchor with an assist that makes your 1st and 2nd player better, or do you want someone who can take advantage of XF3 and get those comebacks?

It is personal preference. Anyone with Wesker on anchor has a weak secondary character because his OTG assist doesn't really help anything except extend combos and setup unblockables. But they get a strong anchor. Anyone with Doom on anchor has a strengthened secondary character because his assists are so great. But your anchor is weak.

I've always put Doom on anchor, but knowing this I'd usually activate x-factor with my second character.

This does seem to be on purpose. Characters with great assists tend to be the shittiest anchors (Haggar, Frank) while great anchors tend to have less useful assists (Dormammu). Exceptions exist, but tend to be the shitty characters who can rock in XF3 but are screwed when it runs out (Chun, Trish).

All IMO, of course.

Grecco

Its incredibly scrubby but you can still catch people with random foot dive S with X factor thats an instant dead character. You have to know how to play vs Doom still.

Bizazedo

Well it is a conflict in team building ideology. Do you want someone in anchor with an assist that makes your 1st and 2nd player better, or do you want someone who can take advantage of XF3 and get those comebacks?

Yep. It's kind of funny, the team building in this game is so important.

I mean, on paper, my team lacks some synergy. It's all damage extension assists with some asshole behavior utilizing Nova / Wesker assists for unblockables, but really, it depends on the individual characters to get in on someone.

It's a huge weakness for my team. Frantic, Smurf, Killa..their teams have concepts and actual strategies where I'm just trying to fish for hits / use the occasional bullshit unblockable setup / rely on my reflexes.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I envied their teams.

The nice thing about the game is if you use a team long enough, you seem to be able to find SOMETHING crazy about almost any combination. Like I built 2 combos with Zero, without lightning loops, to eradicate almost anyone in 1 hit and my team can do the retardation that is 4 Hypers from 2 characters in 1 combo WITHOUT X-factor (obviously a show-off / swag maneuver, but has been helpful to kill high HP targets).

But in a tourney setting? It's nowhere near as consistent as their teams. Give me 20 games and I feel confident, but best 2/3 or sometimes even 3/5.....all about the team synergy :).

S'why Frantic has to come to EVO!!!!

Frantic

S'why Frantic has to come to EVO!!!!
Hah! I wish. Even if I did manage to go, I'm pretty sure I'd go out pretty fast. My nerves would get the best of me, I'm sure.

I'm still surprised that no one really uses my team. It's really good. It's not the most optimal team, but it's still really good. Three teleporting sword users, what more could you ask for?

I think my secondary team of Dante/Trish/Strider is an overall better team, but I'm lazy. Vergil is my easy mode derp.

Yep. It's kind of funny, the team building in this game is so important.

I mean, on paper, my team lacks some synergy. It's all damage extension assists with some asshole behavior utilizing Nova / Wesker assists for unblockables, but really, it depends on the individual characters to get in on someone.

It's a huge weakness for my team. Frantic, Smurf, Killa..their teams have concepts and actual strategies where I'm just trying to fish for hits / use the occasional bullshit unblockable setup / rely on my reflexes.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I envied their teams.

I really lucked out in this regard. I knew I was playing Spider-Man as soon as he was announced, and I knew I was playing X-23 once I saw her trailer with Dirt Nap looking cheap as f*ck, and her jump loops. Plus her command grab made me think of Cammy's Hooligan Combination, lol (back when I used to be decent at SFIV).

I was like, "I think I'll need something to get in." Cue 6 months of playing IM in Vanilla, followed by Taskmaster to get ready for Hawkeye's assist (whom I actually like in playstyle and character).

DHC's happening to work out was pretty much luck, and thanks to the flexibility of the game/characters. Setups just happened to form :p and X-23 being a pure bullshit anchor was chance too.

I think you can pick any two characters you like in this game, come up with a glue guy, and you have at least a couple tricks up your sleeve. Just will have to be more creative with some combinations than others.

Can't believe I got out of pools with the amount of bullshit in Vanilla using my old team :lol That game is insanity. Mad fun but pure insanity.

GatorBait

Anybody else playing an Avengers team this week? I've been running Cap (Shield Slash), Hulk (Gamma Wave) and Hawkeye (Triple Shot). It's pretty much the best Avengers team configuration I could come up with, leaving out Iron Man and Thor who I don't really know how to play. It works pretty well as a team. Cap to Hulk is a pretty nasty DHC in the corner. Gamma Wave also lets me get a relaunch with Cap in the corner.

I feel you on this. Been watching The Avengers heroes' individual films to gear up for the movie coming out, and I keep thinking how I just want to jump into UMvC3 with an Avengers team!

Your same team is more of less who I was thinking of using. Cap (Shield slash)/Hulk (Gamma charge)/Hawkeye (Triple arrow). Though thinking of it a little more, I may switch Cap/Hulk and put Hulk on point.

I watched Iron Man last night...and god damn do I ever have a craving to play as Iron Man now!

Bizazedo

I really lucked out in this regard. I knew I was playing Spider-Man as soon as he was announced, and I knew I was playing X-23 once I saw her trailer with Dirt Nap looking cheap as f*ck, and her jump loops. Plus her command grab made me think of Cammy's Hooligan Combination, lol (back when I used to be decent at SFIV).

I was like, "I think I'll need something to get in." Cue 6 months of playing IM in Vanilla, followed by Taskmaster to get ready for Hawkeye's assist (whom I actually like in playstyle and character).

DHC's happening to work out was pretty much luck, and thanks to the flexibility of the game/characters. Setups just happened to form :p and X-23 being a pure bullshit anchor was chance too.

I think you can pick any two characters you like in this game, come up with a glue guy, and you have at least a couple tricks up your sleeve. Just will have to be more creative with some combinations than others.

Can't believe I got out of pools with the amount of bullshit in Vanilla using my old team :lol That game is insanity. Mad fun but pure insanity.

I'd love to see the current squad at Evo. Derp Nap + people's unfamiliarity with Peter.....it'd be entertaining. Just s'long as we were in different pools, anyways :). Then I could root for you.

Same with Smurf.

Actually..

Hey Dahbomb, you love theorying and I love chatting / talking about it. What do you think of our squads?

Biz
Zero / Nova / Wesker

Smurfx
Hawkeye / Taskmaster / Haggar. Interchanges Hawk and Task based on match up, I think?

Killa
Spiderman / Hawkeye / X-23

Frantic
Dante / Vergil / Strider

Solune

Thing is when team building Doom isn't gonna be on point usually unless you're DiosX or Clockwork. Unlike with most other characters where you have to build around them, Doom fits any position so there's alot of leeway when picking Doom. So now that you have X/Doom/X or X/X/Doom , does your second character make a good anchor, are they fitting best in second position?
Example. Marlinpie anchors Ammy and he likes Doom/Ammy THC shenanigans, I don't think Ammy makes a good anchor but he makes her work and also he has those Doom TACs so it makes sense to fit him into 2nd Slot.
Another thing to consider is Photon Array sucks. Period. It can make a safe DHC but damage wise is terrible, so you want to make sure your 2nd position has a good DHC for dat damage like Spencer or Vergil, sometimes that's why Doom gets relegated to anchor because they can't always take advantage of Sphere Flame.
On my Spencer/Vergil/Doom team I had Vergil anchor because he's straight up derpy with Xfactor. But I have anchor Doom now because Missiles for Spencer and Vergil leads to good extended BnBs and tbh I would be lying if I said Xfactor Doom didn't win me games.

I watched Iron Man last night...and god damn do I ever have a craving to play as Iron Man now!
I'm so sorry you won't feel that way after playing as him.

Doom is so weird. He does help a lot of teams, so I can see why he gets anchor spot. But he's so terrible on his own IMO, cracked out or not.

Doom Ammy on the other hand...that's some bullshit. Only time I treat the character with any sort of respect.

Ammy's anchor game is much better and good overall imo based on the fact that she can fight pretty much anyone. So many tools for Scooby Doo.

Another thing to consider is Photon Array sucks. Period. It can make a safe DHC but damage wise is terrible, so you want to make sure your 2nd position has a good DHC for dat damage like Spencer or Vergil, sometimes that's why Doom gets relegated to anchor because they can't always take advantage of Sphere Flame.

Agree with this too. Harder to DHC into and photon array is lol.

I consider Doom third to be a gamble. Remember when people anchored Haggar? It wasn't because Haggar is a good anchor, it's because his assists was SO GOOD that people thought they would do better with XF2 and a dead fish third than a real anchor. As shown by Haggar and Tron's assists getting nerfed, it wasn't a stupid way to go about things. I think of Doom anchoring as much the same thing. ChrisG is saying to the whole world: "Doom is a weak anchor, but you're not even going to get past my second character because the synergy is so good."

When you look at like that, the whole thing makes perfect sense. Doom isn't quite as bad as Haggar, but he's not good either.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too, just run:
[ANY CHARACTER]/Doom/Strider

or

[ANY CHARACTER]/Doom/Ammy

LakeEarth

Some characters get so good with XF3, and others just hit harder and not much else. Characters who don't get a good speed boost and don't have a chip game tend to get the short end of the stick.
- Haggar
- Frank West
- Doom
- Pheonix Wright (lol)
- She-Hulk
- Hulk
- Nemesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom