• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Also came back from watching it. My list is

1. Iron Man
2. Hulk
I thought everyone played their role sufficiently but Iron Man stole the show for me. Also
Captain America to Iron Man: "You're all about style aren't you"
Damn straight son.
my-nigga.jpg

I don't get why anybody liked Loki. He was an idiot, he had nothing interesting to say, he had no interesting powers or action scenes, and he looked like he was some nerd that was the director's cousin wearing a cheap Saint Seiya Halloween costume.
By you saying, "I seriously doubt the developers consider jump canceling an exploit", it's evident you aren't quite understanding what I am saying. I'm not referencing jump canceling at all, which is a specific property given to specific moves, like you said.

I'm referencing the requirement to jump cancel certain moves (launchers specifically) first in order to then be able to cancel into a special/hyper during the pre-jump animation frames. Why not also give the launcher the property of being special/hyper cancelable in the first place? Assuming the designers actually want you to be able to cancel a launcher into a special/hyper, why require you to cancel the launcher with a super jump first before being able to cancel into a special/hyper?

Sure, TKing isn't exactly difficult and making launchers special/hyper cancelable would not allow you to do anything that you couldn't already do with TKing, but do you not see how it would be an odd design decision to consciously require additional complexity, especially in a case where it is so marginal? It is just an oddity that I have never quite understood; it seems like a case of keeping something needlessly complex for little discernible reason (is there ever any guidance in the training missions that explains the concept of TKing? It seems like something a fighting game layman would never be able to figure out of his/her own accord).

Like I said, it is just an oddity that has never made much sense to me. I thought there may have been a specific design reason for it being like this, but it doesn't sound like there is one (similar to the OS trick/hyper after Vergil's High Time). A Pretty Panda's idea makes the most sense, but there are still some holes in that idea (the presence of safe launchers for some characters; why not just make launchers special/hyper cancelable on hit only; etc).

Like I said, I know exactly what you mean. I just don't think they cared enough to change it. It's just different. Why not make Spencer's overhead cancellable into Armor Piercer on hit? It doesn't really matter.

shaowebb

I don't get why anybody liked Loki. He was an idiot, he had nothing interesting to say, he had no interesting powers or action scenes, and he looked like he was some nerd that was the director's cousin wearing a cheap Saint Seiya Halloween costume.

Oh good then they kept Loki canon to the comic book version *ZING!*

I think the main reason I liked Hulk more than Tony in Avengers was that I knew RDJ would deliver, always does. That's my Hollywood bro.

Hulk/Ruffalo though...I've always hated Hulk as a character and everything about him/Banner (although Norton is the man too). It turned a character I generally hate into one I'm pretty damn hype about, and I love the way the Marvel Cinematic Universe treats him -- which is exactly how I would see it.

Banner and Widow really drive that home IMO.

Amazing movie that I will definitely see again.

And Loki is awesome because he's such a conniving MFer who's also very cowardly. I like his "small angry dog that shrivels up" approach. Hiddleston was great.

Oh good then they kept Loki canon to the comic book version *ZING!*

I wouldn't know. I'm not a Thor comic fan. The cosmic stuff is ok for mindless entertainment, but only because there's less crossover bullshit to annoy me every issue. That said, I've read maybe 3 or 4 single issues of Marvel comics total outside of the one month free online pass that came with the vanilla collector's edition, during which I read a few hundred to see if anything was worth my time.

shaowebb

I wouldn't know. I'm not a Thor comic fan.
You're not missing anything. Only time Thor is ever interesting is when a writer realizes that

1. Valkyrie helmets on a male make no sense so they should drop it
  2. He is talking using a ton of "Ye verily" jargon and that is entirely WRONG given the time period and culture Thor's myth is from
  3. Vikings have beards and pride themselves on it

His comic is a bunch of tripe written by guys doing bad fanfiction centered around cheap knockoffs of mythological stories they heard. When not that its just random vow-ing and fighting for various reasons involving failed attempts at trickery from Loki or some other bit part villain he has that week.

Sad to say the best I ever saw Thor handled was in Ultimates when the biggest issue with him was that he was ridiculously powerful and everyone was convinced he was a delusional crazy person who thought he was a God. The drama centered around how on Earth you deal with a crazy man with a short fuse, a penchant for fighting, and with a God complex who has the power to back up his delusions. THAT was compelling Thor. All other Thor is just a dude saying "Fight? WHERE?! I WILL FIGHT THE SHIT OUT OF THAT THING! IT'LL BE AWESOME! DUDE I AM SO MANLY THAT I LIVE FOR FIGHTING! LETS DO IT!" *big dumb grin*

I swear Thor is one football helmet away from being "that guy" on every high school football team who is all about team pride and being macho. Lose the girl hat, grow a beard like a damned man already, and start talking canon to the right friggin era and part of the world already Thor...you're embarassing yourself.

The cosmic stuff is ok for mindless entertainment, but only because there's less crossover bullshit to annoy me every issue. That said, I've read maybe 3 or 4 single issues of Marvel comics total outside of the one month free online pass that came with the vanilla collector's edition, during which I read a few hundred to see if anything was worth my time.

Anymore you're better off not reading Marvel. Their writers are terrible at the moment and their artists are horrendous. Look at any FF, or Wolverine and the Xmen to see what I mean. Even the better art they have is so minimalistic that it is a shadow of what it used to be back during Civil War. Its like everyone left.

You want good comics then read

Irredeemable
Invincible (meh art, but its story is very very good)
Y the Last Man on Earth
The Walking Dead
or Marvel Secret War/Civil War

Nothing convoluted. Very well written cast. Action has a purpose when it happens and by GOD has lasting consequences and no neat pretty little ribbons are tied on events after they end. Even Civil War with all its ins and outs didn't tie up neatly and everyone involved in it had lasting repercussions. Granted out of that list Y and Walking Dead aren't superhero comics, but screw it they are some of the best written comic dramas out there period. I strongly suggest Irredeemable though. Plutonian would tear Thor in two and then use the pieces to slap around Superman.

shaowebb

That is literally 100% of every Marvel comic I've ever read.

Considering what you listed as having read I am in complete agreement with this statement. Marvel isn't doing so hot and they were hit and miss for years when I look back at it in hindsight.

Seriously read Irredeemable. Its not a superhero story by any normal standard.
I'll repost this part to help you get why.

qkB3N.jpg

Comic theme said:
what if the world's greatest hero decided to become the world's greatest villain? A "twilight of the superheroes"-style story that examines super-villains from the writer of KINGDOM COME and EMPIRE, Mark Waid!

Guy pretty much has more strength and invulnerability than Superman plus he can hear peoples thoughts from anywhere. The latter drives him to choose to stop trying to put up with attempting to be everything for an ingrateful world and to start punishing the world instead for being so petty, greedy, and unthankful to him. Watching this man's sociopathic breakdown as all of the constant thoughts from the world of "why did you save him instead of me?" and all the thoughts coming from the spiteful jealous types who hate him for being so good at everything drives him to start lashing out at the world. Not just lashing out but abject terrorizing the world for their pettiness. Dude is intelligent too. The stuff he starts doing to folks and how he systematically begins ruining all life on Earth during his Sociopathic meltdown is incredible.

Here's a scene from him losing his shit on an entire country and using his actions to prove a point to the superhumans trying to save them.

http://i.imgur.com/zP7jS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SRjVN.jpg

Also read The Watchmen sometime. Book is better than the movie though the movie has a better ending IMO.

Plutonian vs Dr. Manhattan Ultimate Comics vs Capcom

And you thought the balance in Mahvel was bad...

I read the good, ignore the bad.

Good is: Brubaker, Hickman, Gillen, Aaron, Gage, Remender, Slott, Yost
Bad: Fraction, Bendis

Right now, the good writers are gaining more traction.

WaTXM
Ultimates
UXM
JiM
FF
F4
SA
UXF
Venom
SSpider
ASM
AA
Legacy
UXM(love Spencer's writing style)

Yeah majority of my stuff is XM.

shaowebb

I read the good, ignore the bad.

Good is: Brubaker, Hickman, Gillen, Aaron, Gage, Remender, Slott, Yost
Bad: Fraction, Bendis

Right now, the good writers are gaining more traction.

WaTXM
Ultimates
UXM
JiM
FF
F4
SA
UXF
Venom
SSpider
ASM
AA
Legacy
UXM(love Spencer's writing style)

Yeah majority of my stuff is XM.

Not my cup of tea I guess with a lot of your favorites, but I will agree with you that Bendis is horrible and needs to stop. Right now I think they need to start shelling out some cash on artists since they're pretty much stuck with whatever is getting written up for this year (gets decided in advance on plots) and hope to make things more approachable regardless of whether or not the writers are good that week. Sign Bryan Hitch back on and put the guy on X-men or something. For that matter even though Silvestri is all about Top Cow comics the dude will still take work for other companies so contract him for your big events. Also try to nab Stepan Seijic. Dude paints his comics faster than most draw them poorly. Exquisite workmanship from Seijic. He's the dude who handled Angelus. Seijic on FF? Yes please.

Better still put him on Defenders and get my boy Iron Fist looking good out there with Strange, Namor, Silver Surfer, and Red She Hulk. Comic is surprsingly decent (nothing stellar but potential is there) and could use better art.

Just they keep too many mediocre artists.

UXM recently had an arc not done by tracer. And was fantastic. Put Mann on UXM and watch it shine. They have plenty of good artists but just don't put them on the big comics. Imagine Stegman on ASM.

shaowebb

Just they keep too many mediocre artists.

UXM recently had an arc not done by tracer. And was fantastic. Put Mann on UXM and watch it shine. They have plenty of good artists but just don't put them on the big comics. Imagine Stegman on ASM.

I wouldn't agree entirely on that. They're hit or miss and a lot of their panels use redundant shots and show little to no emotional range in the characters faces and body language.They are good at what they do but they stay strictly within a limited comfort zone of shots and expressions. They have good moments but most times I see a ton of resorting to stand and deadpan with a glare poses with various ambiguous posture. Not a lot of life in those kind of shots and backgrounds are never focused on enough to establish scale in the events that take place. Look at Ultimates with Brian Hitch. Dude treats comic art as a substitute for filming movies. Tons of establishing shots, close ups, wide shots and a great usage of highly detailed environments with tons of scale and perspective. Most of Marvel now is all side views or slight top downs and all you see is dirt or very little environment (usually blocked by vehicles, rubble or onlookers)...it makes the action feel smaller and more localized if it doesnt have a large world to be a part of. Its kind of a big deal in art school to not only establish the action but the world so that the action has meaning. Most stuff doesn't feel like it impacts anything in Marvel because their is no establishing shots or nice splash pages anymore of just how big a fight is getting. Its all closeups of the hits and no build up to give them any impact.

In any case I guess it is a little unfair to pretty much force everyone to compare as artists and shot directors to the names I linked to just now. Those guys are as good as it gets in this industry. Though I will admit as detailed as Silvestri gets the man really doesn't draw a lot of emotional range to faces or varying facial types. The dude does an insane amount of detail though and can direct the action like a master though so his one failing doesn't really glare at you considering its wrapped up in a platinum covered blanket of awesome art.

You can see why I gripe about art now though considering what I look for in artists.

I've read Watchmen. My opinion on the last 20 years of American comics is basically the same as Alan Moore's. They hired all the fans that would work for cheap, set up a character stock market and randomly assigned and fired artists to rehash the same stories until they hyped up enough idiots to make a profit on merchandise. It's the exactly wrong format for creating interesting or original stories, and exactly the right one for making blockbuster formula fiction summer movies.

I have no interest in lycra-wearing metaphors and their arbitrary power fantasies, and until someone proves to me they can make a character-driven story that makes sense and has real thought put into it, I have no interest in comic books. I don't think Watchmen is even that amazing, and like Alan Moore said, he showed people how to make it and nobody cared enough to try.

shaowebb

I've read Watchmen. My opinion on the last 20 years of American comics is basically the same as Alan Moore's. They hired all the fans that would work for cheap, set up a character stock market and randomly assigned and fired artists to rehash the same stories until they hyped up enough idiots to make a profit on merchandise. It's the exactly wrong format for creating interesting or original stories, and exactly the right one for making blockbuster formula fiction summer movies.

I have no interest in lycra-wearing metaphors and their arbitrary power fantasies, and until someone proves to me they can make a character-driven story that makes sense and has real thought put into it, I have no interest in comic books. I don't think Watchmen is even that amazing, and like Alan Moore said, he showed people how to make it and nobody cared enough to try.

I agree with this on so many levels. They definitely hired what feels like cheap fans writing action movies more than writers trying to tell stories. It all feels like a big panhandle most times. I can't tell you when the last time was that I saw a comic that didn't promise a TON of heroes and villains in its issues. What happened to focusing on developing just one hero properly and setting up lasting villains? Its all a team up and good vs good free for all these days to sell merch and toys by advertising as many mainstays you'll be using all year in each issue. Whole thing feels more like character plugging and less like character development in most books.

Also the lycra/metaphor thing pretty much sums up why Superman bores me but the concept of guys like him fascinate me. Imagine writing a world realistically where you had to see how people would feel knowing something like that existed. Paranoia wouldn't even be the half of how I'd describe it. The Vatican would have to react because folks would likely worship him because people, quite frankly, believe what they want to and back whatever comforts them the most. Countries not included in "truth, justice and THE AMERICAN way" would immediately arms race to have a contingency for the invincible guy should he ever turn on them. Superman's not fascinating, but how people would react to him in a realistic setting would be. Another reason I like Irredeemable...

To be honest it sounds like you should read either Y The Last Man on Earth or The Walking Dead as both of those aren't really about heroes. Hell Walking Dead isn't really about zombies...its about characters trying to survive in a world that has lost all civilization. The zombies play a bit part really compared to the violence, hysteria, and insanity that such a world's pressures put on the humans that are left. TV series is mediocre at best compared to the source material it came from.

Still though if you want to read something with powers read Irredeemable. Its a really driven story largely told from the Plutonians point of view and you get to witness a really incredible sociopathic downward spiral. Personally, I love thinking about powers. They create a lot of morality issues for characters and create a lot of options for them in how they deal with situations in ways others can't. This in and of itself can get pretty interesting to read about for me.

See, a lot of those I named are written in that way.

Slott is known for his ability to characterize, UXM has been focusing on character focused stories instead of canon and so forth.

Hickman, my god, Hickman is unreal with all he can do.

Amazing plots, amazing characterization, he even can do humor. Yes, humor.

Spencer a lot of people complain about the pace but the man does character centered plots.

Gage has done a great job with Academy with the characters and Aaron has given each and every character an unique voice.

crimson, I read most of what you listed when I had the marvel subscription and had absolutely no interest in any of them.

The problem with comic books as a medium is that whether they're American, French, Korean, Japanese or whatever, they're basically a waste of time by design. Weekly and monthly comics are almost never going to be interesting. It takes the best novelists in the world 6 months to come up with a first draft, why should serialization come up with anything worth reading? It's one of the laziest-made forms of entertainment in the world.

The amount of comics I've read that had good stories can be counted on my fingers, and most of them were worse off for having been comics.

Ghost in the Shell
Watchmen
Solanin
Sanctuary
REAL

Of those, only Ghost in the Shell, Watchmen and Solanin made good use of being comic books.

Unless it's central to the message of the story, I really don't want to see any powers, or supernatural beings, or alien/future technology. I want to see stories about people developing and interacting as human beings, and exploring some sort of deeper themes using the comic format in a way that's fundamentally tied into the medium
well, maybe not artistically, since apparently nobody bought Kabuki
. Anything else is a waste of effort. I'm an adult with critical thinking. I'd expect to be treated that way by comics targeting anybody older than 16.

shaowebb

I guess we've heard each of our takes on comics by this point. Lots to discuss and no single right formula for any of us thats universally perfect for everyone (though a lot of similar points we all leaned towards at times).

Might as well get back to the marvel thats a fighter.

Not everything has to be about critical thinking and Alan Moore has went off his rocker in recent years. Those books I listed are good books to read for a good story. And yeah, for heavy thinking I do go to indie comics. Morning Glories makes me smile so much as I try to figure wtf is going on.

Been meaning to read Irredeemable, Incorruptible and The Walking Dead.

I mean, I love Death Note and Code Geass.

Tizoc

When it comes to Thor comics, the best ones were by-
Walt Simonson
JMS
Dan Jurgens' run was good I think?
Thor the Mighty, a caneled series from a few years back.
I'ma do a little digging and post that page of Thor telling one of his bitches what to tell the Asgardians that gathered before his castle, asking for Thor's help with a crisis.

Tirael

I mean, I love Death Note and Code Geass.

Oh man, Code Geass is one of the better shows I've seen in recent memory. Sure, it's extremely campy, but once you get past that and the character designs, it has some good action and a great plot filled with amazing characters. The animation style actually grew on me after a while.

Riposte

Sanctuary
Manga? (Now recalling I never read the comic, thinking of something else lol)

The comic shitting in thread is pretty off-topic and terrible. You have someone basically saying they will never like the comic book formula because they are not dramas on the human condition and people listing authors which do the comic book formula best. Think it is time to stop.

Zissou

There are some great comics, but most are quite bad. What's there to disagree with? (aside from it being a bit off topic)

*has been practicing Zero because he can do the TAC glitch*
I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero I will not play Zero

*Darth Vader breathing*

Manga? (Now recalling I never read the comic, thinking of something else lol)

The comic shitting in thread is pretty off-topic and terrible. You have someone basically saying they will never like the comic book formula because they are not dramas on the human condition and people listing authors which do the comic book formula best. Think it is time to stop.

Never said anything about the human condition, just characters that grow in a story that makes sense. Not Spider-man #10,000 new costume fights the hulk omg

Why do the majority of comics have to be about superheroes anyway? And I didn't say the comic book formula, I said the formula Marvel/DC happens to use to generate piles of comics. I personally think the magazine format is better incentivized towards originality at least, if not great stories.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My big problem is that Avengers did indeed seem like Iron man & friends rather than Cap and friends. The action was better this time around than in Captain America, but I still don't feel like they have made Cap's action scenes as bad ass as they can be, nor has he
stepped up to the leadership role effectively by the end of the movie as I kind of wanted. As much as I love Iron Man, I want it to reach the point where Cap is leading things quickly, hopefully developed in Cap 2. Glad progress was made though.
Hopefully Avengers 2 changes that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't understand Fanatiq pussing out on this shit. The whole fuckin' point was Magneto vs Magneto.
So lock Magneto. Character locks otherwise are stupid and people in the thread are right, nobody does them because everybody knows they're stupid. Locking Mags means Fanatiq can't go the other direction and use Knives' team.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The point is Mags/Sent. Character lock also keeps joker from using Doom and such. >.>

edit: Also, MM have been character locked before. Talk shit about a team, then you put money up on that team and vice versa.

After seeing Filipino Champs Magnus again at shadaloo I gotta say it. He has the best magnus in the world. Better than fanatiq's, RayRay's and jokers. His combos are amazing, his hit confirms are amazing, his resets are good, and knows how to get in with Magnus.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
After seeing Filipino Champs Magnus again at shadaloo I gotta say it. He has the best magnus in the world. Better than fanatiq's, RayRay's and jokers. His combos are amazing, his hit confirms are amazing, his resets are good, and knows how to get in with Magnus.
Fanatiq vs. FChamp would be so free to FChamp.

Also, so much Marvel to catch up on this weekend. Goddamn. Still about 4 hours of Summer Slam Day 1 for me to catch up on + SS2K12 Sunday + Summer Slam Day 2 this evening. Not including the latter half of KVO 3v3 which I also missed out on. Additionally, appropriate links have been added to OP for both already.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I wouldn't say he's better than them, but he has leveled his Mags way the fuck up. I really enjoyed when Phoenix died and he had all the meter in the world to spend and go crazy with him. Bad as that sounds.

Attraction -> Hidden Missile Otg -> Hyper Grav was some fly shit.

Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a big statistics roundup for the 3 marvel tournaments (I was all going to do the top 8 I believe) that happened worldwide this weekend just for a general state of the game roundup since I'm a stats geek. I was wondering if you all could suggest a couple of things to keep track of when I start going through everything....this is what I was planning:

average length of match
average time when x-factor used and its level
number of characters left at end of round
most successful anchor (in terms of full reverse-OCV comeback)
most successful point character
big stat I wanted to do: If first hit leads to winner of the round (I think this will answer a lot of questions on the game)
number of happy birthdays

I was thinking stuff like number of dropped combos but that would be ridiculous since you don't really know if a hit confirm is coming or something

smurfx

get some go again
you guys ever run into some guy on live called strtgy? if you watched the latest online warrior he is the guy who disconnected on max. man that guy is a such a fraud. i played him a while ago and he had a 35 game win streak. anyway i played him and beat him quite easy and sure enough he disconnects. how does he not have a crossbones? he is like 600-35 and i'm assuming he has enough disconnects to get that crossbones but he doesn't for some reason. i sent him a message making fun of him and he complains that i was using haggar even though he pretty much had team trenchcoats. -_-

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
you guys ever run into some guy on live called strtgy? if you watched the latest online warrior he is the guy who disconnected on max. man that guy is a such a fraud. i played him a while ago and he had a 35 game win streak. anyway i played him and beat him quite easy and sure enough he disconnects. how does he not have a crossbones? he is like 600-35 and i'm assuming he has enough disconnects to get that crossbones but he doesn't for some reason. i sent him a message making fun of him and he complains that i was using haggar even though he pretty much had team trenchcoats. -_-

oh him. on xbox360 live right?

Azure J

Just got back from the Avengers... Few things:

- Did anyone expect (want) Hawkeye's theme from UMVC3 to start playing when Nick Fury motioned to him in the opening scene before Loki arrived? :lol

- Loki with Soul Body/Sougenmu hyper is fucking sleaze tier, nerf that shit!

- I can't believe it took me until this movie to really understand that Cap is really Marvel's "Ordinary Guy."

- Hawkeye had Gimlets out the ass crack, my gawd.

- Dat Black Widow.

- Everything Thor VS. Hulk was hilarious.

- MOTHER. FUCKING. HULK. SON. Hit that motherfucker Loki with the smash n bash command grab. That's why you don't taunt until the match is over, scrub.

- I want Captain America with a Projectile/Beam reflect assist. That scene with all the Avengers transitioning from one to the other helping out was IRL Mahvel.

- Iron Man going into outer space unsure of re-entry into his own portion of the universe carrying a goddamned nuke burning out his thrusters is the only acceptable reason why Tony has no double jump in UMVC3 at current.

- THANOS?!?!?!?!?

The movie previews were great too.

Azure J

@Sasa: "Oh no, a tiny knife! My one weakness!"

What movies were previewed before Avengers?

The Dark Knight Returns, Brave, & The Amazing Spider-Man were the notables. Expendables 2 and that cop duo drama by the Training Day director (name escapes me currently) might be worth a shot.

Fuck Prometheus though, as soon as I saw that shit I had flashbacks to a bad memory of Space mountain as a 5 year old and said "NOPE." :lol

/movie head

Dahbomb

What movies were previewed before Avengers?
I saw Avengers twice, one in normal 2D and the other in IMAX 3D.

2D version: Spider Man (Final trailer), Brave, FrankenWeener, Battleship, GI Joe, Cop Duo movie (also don't know the name)

IMAX 3D: FrankenWeener, Spider Man (Trailer #2), TDKR, Expendables 2, Prometheus, Cop Duo movie

Oh and statistics wise, Viper and Ammy both earn a major tournament win under their belts. Doom, Wolverine and Akuma are now SSSS tier each with 4 majors won, Wesker at 3 now. Frank West moves up to 2 majors won.

As far as the Fanatiq vs Joker thing goes, the matches should be Magneto on point LOCKED no questions about it. The whole point of the MM is to decide the best Magneto. Anything beyond that should be fair game although if they both agree to a character lock I don't see the problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom