• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, it's a damn good movie.

my-nigga.jpg

Zissou

Pie might be the best. While other top players were tooling around with a bunch of characters they ended up dropping, or they were trying to win with poorly composed teams, Pie has stuck with his guns and put in work with a ridiculously good cheap team that he's practiced and optimized the hell out of. The other top players are all lacking somewhere- they don't practice enough, choke, use meh teams, etc., etc., etc.

JeTmAn81

I think Filipino Champ might actually be the best. Granted, he just lost to Marlinpie but I feel like his game is stronger overall. Marlin is streakier, I think. I really wish Viscant would take some tips from better players of his characters (Haggar, Phoenix). If he could play Phoenix like Champ does, he'd be amazing.

smurfx

get some go again
lolz currently working on a 20 game win streak on ranked. just included dios x amongst the victims. even out zoned him. :O

Tirael

At the risk of asking a stupid question, (but potentially less stupid considering my last question opened up a big discussion on TK'ing moves,) what does a character lock mean? Is it when two people are using the same character, and what does it involve?

Zissou

At the risk of asking a stupid question, (but potentially less stupid considering my last question opened up a big discussion on TK'ing moves,) what does a character lock mean? Is it when two people are using the same character, and what does it involve?

It should means during the set you can't change character(s) between matches.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Filipino Champ might actually be the best. Granted, he just lost to Marlinpie but I feel like his game is stronger overall. Marlin is streakier, I think. I really wish Viscant would take some tips from better players of his characters (Haggar, Phoenix). If he could play Phoenix like Champ does, he'd be amazing.
I'm inclined to agree. Though I'm not very familiar with Champs play overall outside of majors, I still feel like I have difficulty calling anyone the best in Marvel, especially MarlinPie. Streaky is a good word for MarlinPie's performance. Frankly, I like this. Makes for more interesting play. Whether it has to do with randomness, etc. is another discussion which I'd rather not rehash.

The closest to the best? FChamp, Wong, MarlinPie, Chris G, Noel Brown, PR Balrog, Yipes, Viscant, Fanatiq, Combofiend. Tokido. That's my short list of the elite that I can confidently expect to place high in a tournament. Everyone has their bad days, or some days where they get straight bodied, but yeah that's my list of S tier players (that's heavily biased towards US because that's what I'm most familiar with). Don't think I'm forgetting anyone. I tried to keep out recent fluctuations like Infrit, TA Predator, etc. and people who have proven themselves recently to be competent, but not ones I can bank on. Yipes is the closest to a maybe on that list but I feel from what little we've seen over time and random accounts of sets prove him to be amongst those others, but understandably he can be left off of the shortlist.

Nert

I really want to watch Clockw0rk play some matches. I sort of remember him dominating with Doom/Strider/Ammy when the game is released, but I haven't seen him in months. Also, Bum needs to go to a tournament etc. etc.

Awesome games as always, Killa. Love how streaky we are. Constant adaptation.

I tried to do this to you one match and it cost me the match since I was doing it midscreen instead of the corner (which is possible), but didn't end the Nova Force early enough lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFLiWnsRUU

Next time!.

Haha, yep great set. Had to do some scrubby stuff because you've leveled up too much, and now my corner UWT reset is an actual mind game instead of "lol u died" T_T

That combo is wicked btw, looks hilarious.

I <3 my Fraud-23 soooooooooo much. With or without X-factor, I think she's my favorite character in the game.

Bizazedo

Yeah, been working hard at it. I actually felt like I have leveled up even from the last time we fought.

When you started retaliating from the initial rampage, I tried to resist hard from snapping 23 in. I called it "practicing".

Eventually, had to stop and just accept the fact she was murdering my entire team lol. Sometimes without x-factor.

I am AMAZED more people don't use her after that.

Btw, two things.

You figured a new way out of my reset :(. Hard tagging. I would've been pissed, but was chuckling too much.

That Hawkeye DHC to Spidey Web Throw is awesome.

And that rampage you went on at one point....damn pain train.

And yeah, mad respect for the mindgame that is that UWT now. I have to seriously thank you because I know how to escape other Spideys with all three of my characters, now, and they WON'T mindgame me so it'll work like you do. Last one to figure it out was Nova, though. I cry.

I remember wishing for such a long time that someone would come into the Marvel scene and be completely "anti-hype." Someone who slows the game down to a crawl. Someone who doesn't do flashy shit. Someone who shuts down the game, so to speak.

ChrisG was/is the answer to my wishes.

smurfx

get some go again
i think i got a screwed up tendon on my left hand and its getting worse. i hope it doesn't affect my marvel game. i've had a problem with my left hand for a while but the pain usually goes away but this time its getting worse every week. i've stopped lifting weights hoping it went away too. it kinda hurts after playing as well. :(

i think i got a screwed up tendon on my left hand and its getting worse. i hope it doesn't affect my marvel game. i've had a problem with my left hand for a while but the pain usually goes away but this time its getting worse every week. i've stopped lifting weights hoping it went away too. it kinda hurts after playing as well. :(

Go see a doctor!

hitsugi

The closest to the best? FChamp, Wong, MarlinPie, Chris G, Noel Brown, PR Balrog, Yipes, Viscant, Fanatiq, Combofiend. Tokido.

I don't know if I would put Tokido as the first and only player from Japan. Maybe in terms of those that have made it out to the states. I think Freida, LiquidMetal, and Chou are probably up there with Tokido. Maybe a few others as well

Bizazedo

/bored at work, decides to stoke flame

There is no best if the game is truly random.

Ooooh.

(I think it's a lot less random / not really random as people say + people are mewling that word Loki says in Avengers, but whatever).

Sigmaah

Man, I remember back when Lupinko was giving hints to characters for UMvC3 and some characters people thought (including me) were Apocolypse, Thanos, Sigma, and some other characters I forgot lol. How I wish those were actually the new characters... Not saying that I don't like what we got, but in all honesty, it could've been better. But hey, at least we got new characters!

LakeEarth

Ahh, everyone ends up loving the characters they end up putting in the game anyways. Think about all the characters you didn't give a shit about before (X-23, Dormammu, Tron, Trish) and how much you like them now.

smurfx

get some go again
X-23 is Satan.
to me spiderman is the real terror on his team. haggar has answers for her but spiderman just wrecks my team. btw made some avatars in case anybody wanted them. some of the crops because some of the pics gave me more room to play with.

wg0Ty.jpg
QzEXs.png

0rhao.png
0Vspr.png

Bizazedo

to me spiderman is the real terror on his team. haggar has answers for her but spiderman just wrecks my team. btw made some avatars in case anybody wanted them. some of the crops because some of the pics gave me more room to play with.
Nice Avatars :D.

Spiderman isn't bad for my team since Zero and Nova are such dickheads. Both can escape the normal UWT reset (and usually hurt Spiderman when he tries it, to boot) unless we engage in MINDGAMES (which we do, now).

I'm fast enough and quick enough to react to his moves and we've played so much I've come to recognize how Spiderman attacks. Especially Zero, he can change direction in the air multiple times and I figured out just last night that if I start a dive kick and he hits me with web throw, I get hit, but bounce out. It doesn't actually throw me.

I'm always jumping / superjumping, as well, so it's actually a REALLY fun fight. I love moving quickly.

The main thing to remember is to not let Peter under me since Spider Sting is some serious bullshit + web throws.

No, the main issue for me is X-23 since my Zero is best handled to fight her (she can change direction almost as much as he can in the air, but she attacks so much faster and wins if she can get on / next to him), but Zero is usually dead by the time she comes out or wounded and has to deal with an entry mix-up. Plus if 23 does kill one person with an errant hit, Dirt nap auto-kills the second.

She's fast enough to punish Nova missing and stays in the air / attacking in the air so she fucks up Wesker something good.

In short, she terrorizes two out of the three members of my team and the one best suited to deal with her ain't around no more :).

Ahh, everyone ends up loving the characters they end up putting in the game anyways. Think about all the characters you didn't give a shit about before (X-23, Dormammu, Tron, Trish) and how much you like them now.

Definitely have a new appreciation for all those characters except Trish. Any positivity I had for her is undone by being from the same universe as Vergil, my own personal salt-bringer.

X-23 is Satan.

Laura is <3, who would've thought something good would come from Logan?

Yeah, been working hard at it. I actually felt like I have leveled up even from the last time we fought.

When you started retaliating from the initial rampage, I tried to resist hard from snapping 23 in. I called it "practicing".

Eventually, had to stop and just accept the fact she was murdering my entire team lol. Sometimes without x-factor.

I am AMAZED more people don't use her after that.

Btw, two things.

You figured a new way out of my reset :(. Hard tagging. I would've been pissed, but was chuckling too much.

That Hawkeye DHC to Spidey Web Throw is awesome.

And that rampage you went on at one point....damn pain train.

And yeah, mad respect for the mindgame that is that UWT now. I have to seriously thank you because I know how to escape other Spideys with all three of my characters, now, and they WON'T mindgame me so it'll work like you do. Last one to figure it out was Nova, though. I cry.

I think it has to do with the fact that if she gets hit, she dies. Many people fit her as a point character, which she is, but you have to play pretty damn perfect. High risk, high reward.

I don't mind risking a lot when I have her in the back -- I'll be dead anyway. She's such a big momentum shifter off one XFGC, and I usually have bar for a derp nap. Really ridiculous XF2+ character.

She's mad fun on point, but she's versatile enough in my experience, offering an OTG assist that can Happy Birthday, and a Weapon X Prime DHC (which can help Hawkeye a little -- not as much as that UWT DHC though, that thing is great :p).

Also, it was the scrub in me that used the hard tag, it just happened to work haha.

to me spiderman is the real terror on his team. haggar has answers for her but spiderman just wrecks my team.

Hagneto + Shield Skills makes me have to think more about the buttons I press with her :(

Also, go to the doctor, man :p.

mr. puppy

Banned
I can't figure out some of the mixups that Marlinpie does with Viper and Doom, some of that shit is too crazy. In particular, lets just take the last round

Example 1: Ammy assist+Burn Kick on Phoenix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f8prqc6gyyg#t=816s

What in the world happened here? Filipino champ is blocking upwards

Example 2: Ammy assist+OS Footdive airgrab something else crazy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f8prqc6gyyg#t=847s

How did this beat the X-Factor?

I can't figure out some of the mixups that Marlinpie does with Viper and Doom, some of that shit is too crazy. In particular, lets just take the last round

What in the world happened here? Filipino champ is blocking upwards

Fuzzy guard setup, he was blocking low.

It didn't beat anything. X-factor puts you in a neutral state, so marlin just grabbed him since it was the fastest option and he wasn't in blockstun anymore. That said, it could well have been an accidental option select as well.

smurfx

get some go again
yesterday i got an achievement in marvel. :O got it for Quick Change-Up. funny thing is i don't even know how to cross over counters. every time they come out its an accident.

Frantic

Definitely have a new appreciation for all those characters except Trish. Any positivity I had for her is undone by being from the same universe as Vergil, my own personal salt-bringer.
Man, I main Vergil and I get salty over him. I put all this time and effort into Dante, and then my very basic and fraudulent Vergil manages to pull just as many wins with max distance s.H, Spiral Swords and ABC baby combos. Very annoying.

Dahbomb

It's hard to explain but there is a window where the block animation should've ended and he should've been crouching but didn't because it's a fuzzy guard set up.

That was a classic fuzzy guard set up. Viscant was probably blocking low at the end of that.

It didn't beat the XF, he grabbed him after the XF as the air grab is 1 frame. What I don't get is that why wasn't FChamp teching/air grabbing himself. It could be the unblockable/guard break/OS but I can't confirm it myself.

It didn't beat the XF, he grabbed him after the XF as the air grab is 1 frame. What I don't get is that why wasn't FChamp teching/air grabbing himself. It could be the unblockable/guard break/OS but I can't confirm it myself.

He just got caught with his pants down. Fucked up.

Frantic

I've had this happen to me against a Doom player I played in a set. Everytime I tried to XFC airthrow on incoming, I'd get scooped and I didn't know what was going on. It's just Doom's f.H Foot Dive used as an option select. During blockstrings, if you have a f.H move, you can throw people out of XFC if you chain into it. If you XFC before the move, you're getting scooped because you'll be unable to tech during XF recovery. If you XFC during the startup of the f.H move, you can throw them.

At least, this is what I've found out through testing it in training mode.

LakeEarth

I think the design of Doom's air throw is pretty ingenious. The forward air throw gets the option select foot dive, but it makes them fly to the other side of the screen. Still combo-able, but not easy. With back air throw, you get the followup combo handed to you on a silver platter, but if you miss you get laser which has shit for startup.

Dahbomb

I've had this happen to me against a Doom player I played in a set. Everytime I tried to XFC airthrow on incoming, I'd get scooped and I didn't know what was going on. It's just Doom's f.H Foot Dive used as an option select. During blockstrings, if you have a f.H move, you can throw people out of XFC if you chain into it. If you XFC before the move, you're getting scooped because you'll be unable to tech during XF recovery. If you XFC during the startup of the f.H move, you can throw them.

At least, this is what I've found out through testing it in training mode.
Thanks for the response and this could be what's happening here.

And LOL @ the drama over the Fanatiq vs Joker MM.

Tobe

goddamit how i fucking wish magnetic blast was an overhead, box dashing and canceling it into MB gives you a sort of mvc2 ish crossup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom