• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Training mode monsters: How do you best utilize it? I feel like all I do is practice combos when I should be doing more to practice setups or learn new patterns.

Man, I main Vergil and I get salty over him. I put all this time and effort into Dante, and then my very basic and fraudulent Vergil manages to pull just as many wins with max distance s.H, Spiral Swords and ABC baby combos. Very annoying.

I thought I was the worst person in the world for this kind of shit. I actively still want to play him putting time into combos and how to move with him, but when I have to play long sets with my one directional brother (seriously, all it is is Helm Splitters, Trick Ms with Hadangeki assist or Jam Session if he wants to be a bitch about it after launching me, or [my personal favorite] full screen Stingers) it's not long before I actively and vitriolicly state that I fucking hate Vergil. To which he responds "but you play him!"

Just like you, the worst part is I put a fucking lot of work into my Dante and the salt that builds up when he gets clipped by one stupid misjudgment from myself and that damn near derp level of shit to deal with afterwards...

Missed a Stinger/Bold Cancel move? LOL

Forgot your other zoning options because "fuck he can't get near me"? One lucky H fucks your projectile AND yourself up mid animation.

Snapped him in but have no extra meter? You better damn well pray your move is active long enough to catch him out of Helm Splitter because you know it'll work if you try for any dash under shit.

Does he have four meters? Pray to God your best character doesn't get knocked down or he isn't in XF3. Crowns for Days mode.

I feel like sometimes, learning to play games at high levels does more harm than good because you get to a point where instead of enjoying yourself and going at it more after a loss, you start to ask yourself "WHY DOES THAT SHIT WORK" and work yourself up. :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Empire Loop is probably one of the flyest combos I've ever seen, when combined with Magnetic Blast Loops, standing L, and Drones.

You know, Dahbomb and I are basically like Vergil and Dante. And not just because we play those respective characters.

We're both theory fighters of relatively similar ability and we don't get along very well. "It bugs the crap out of me when somebody talks more than I do" He's obsessed with tiers and pedantry, "Foolishness, Dante. Foolishness... Might controls everything". I'm always finding stupid shit that looks cool and changing my gameplan daily, "this is gonna be one hell of a party!"

Remember what we used to say?

You know, Dahbomb and I are basically like Vergil and Dante. And not just because we play those respective characters.

We're both theory fighters of relatively similar ability and we don't get along very well. "It bugs the crap out of me when somebody talks more than I do" He's obsessed with tiers and pedantry, "Foolishness, Dante. Foolishness... Might controls everything". I'm always finding stupid shit that looks cool and changing my gameplan daily, "this is gonna be one hell of a party!"

gT63Z.gif

probably old, nice set between Joker and RDK

tony stark swag

and a triple footdive thanks to trish assist. god damn.
Even though FChamp is the best overall magneto, joker is the best Swagneto and rayray is a close second.

Dahbomb

We are different yet similar at the same time. I like the Son of Sparda analogy, it's apt.

JACKPOT!

Real talk my combos aren't swag at all because I work on setups and mix UPS more. Vergil is basically the character for my skill set. I love the dirty stuff.

So much Swag. I'm stealing so much of his shit.

Immediately after the upload of this video, a single tear came out of Joker's eye.
I have been giving you "tech" for Iron Man since even before this OT. How is the bread and butter THAT I GAVE YOU working out for you?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

0383_lqe1.gif

Azure J

Magblasts being overheads would instantly put Magneto right up in second place for characters I need to get better with ASAP. (Sorry Morrigan/Felicia)

I would also like to take time to say I appreciate God's Beard's post and all the following WTF posts for different reasons. :lol

MahvelGAF is best FGC-GAF

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have been giving you "tech" for Iron Man since even before this OT. How is the bread and butter THAT I GAVE YOU working out for you?
Well, but now that I've switched to stick I'm dropping shit everywhere again. First thing I did was hit the lab and practice that BnB. I have problems completing mid-screen BnBs with Iron Man though, I can never get the OTG in time. Probably just need to delay my hits, but I haven't spent much time on it. I don't know what the most beginner BnB for mid screen is, got any suggestions for the scrubbiest combo? I can't use flight for shit.. I just don't activate it fast enough. And TBH, Iron Man SRK forums are a maze. Not really organized, just links all over the place. The first combo in this video is the one I've been looking towards learning, though I'm wondering if there's anything easier.

Today will be the first time I run sets in UMvC3 with a buddy in a LONG time. So I finally get to employ a lot of my tactics I've been cooking. I've also switched my team to Nova/Iron Man/Akuma, but have not had any practice with such against real opponents yet. Most of the tech I'm gonna steal is those corner mix ups. Delicious stuff.

Dahbomb

By the way fanatiq isn't comfortable with the storm iron man match up. I definitely agree with both backed up by drones I like iron man in the match up. Fanatiq wants to play Spencer against that combo.

Azure J

It sucks that Morrigan's assist doesn't build more meter in x-factor :-(

Real talk, there are times where I wish if Soul Drain was an assist just so maybe Vergil/Doom/Morrigan would look nice as a Vergil team. That lack of horizonal cover kills me before I get the meter shenanigans up, mostly because I'm ass at backdashing and keeping it safe for his footsies.

Oldschoolgamer

By the way fanatiq isn't comfortable with the storm iron man match up. I definitely agree with both backed up by drones I like iron man in the match up. Fanatiq wants to play Spencer against that combo.

How well do you think Spencer does against it?

I'm really unimpressed by Joker's play in that set versus RDK. Fanatiq's right, the dude is dropping combos left and right and his hitconfirms are ass. He also gets hit with a lot of easy reads. He's got these crazy mixups then doesn't go very far with them. Of course it looks insane, he's the only one that plays that team.

Don't even get me started on his sentinel, his whole game is bait with rocket punch and hope they do something slow so he can cancel into a hyper.

If this is an example of how he plays normally, the dude is free to Fanatiq. Guy is way inconsistent.

hitsugi

goddamit how i fucking wish magnetic blast was an overhead, box dashing and canceling it into MB gives you a sort of mvc2 ish crossup.

With the motion required to do the above being so goofy it beats any old SNK super, I wouldn't mind if it did it hit overhead.

Dahbomb

Enzo: The scrubbiest Iron Man combo that does very solid damage is just cr.M st.H S j.H, j.+ d+H j.S (try to delay the hits so you end up closer to the ground), dash up Smart Bombs L cr.M st.H S MMH d+H S Smart Bombs H Proton Cannon. No dash cancels, no flight cancels just a basic relaunch combo.

The trick to dash up Smart Bombs is to let the dash rock and input the motion for Smart Bombs during the dash (like a buffer).

The first combo in the video isn't bad but has the same problem with every Iron Man combo starter (can't confirm at near max range of cr.M and is not a safe hit confirm). You should be trying to do the combo at 0:47. It only requires one fly input once, no need to unfly even. The advantage of learning this combo is that A) It confirms for near max distance of cr.M and B) if you miss the hit confirm you are still safe because you cancel into fly.

If you want to check out a safe, by the book type Iron Man, I highly recommend watching Danke's play over at the Iron man forums. Joker's IM is above both our pay grade although those aerial hit confirms are something that all IM players should be doing but can't because they require execution (I still can't do them but whenever I get close to confirm a combo at SJ height I get hyped and drop it).

How well do you think Spencer does against it?
Spencer beats him if Iron Man's alone but it's not a terrible match up. Iron Man has anti air st.L, Repulsor Blast L and long j.H's to deal with Spencer's zip line approaches but you have to be on point with those. Spencer can't go through a full screen Proton Cannon even with the Bionic Arm but at close range it will get shut down. Iron Man actually has better normals up close thanks to 5 frame long ranged cr.L and better normals at medium distance too (Iron Man has some of the best normals at this range). Iron Man with Drones also makes Spencer's approaches tough as he has to deal with full screen Unibeam pinned down plus Replusor Blast which makes him drop right into Drones even if he blocks it.

If this was a match up on paper, Iron Man "should" win it because he can space out Spencers approaches but a live match never goes like this. Spencer eventually gets in with zip line throws out a normal with fat hit stun and takes Iron Man for a ride where as if Iron Man gets a normal to connect mid air it's very difficult for him to convert that hit. Iron Man has to out play him to beat him but it's doable if you are consistent enough.

Iron Man vs Storm is basically two characters in the same boat. Difficult air to air hit confirms for both but Iron Man has advantage as he has superior anti airs and superior normals/footsies. Plus Iron Man has a full screen beam both on ground and in the air. Storm has advantage in the mobility, she is way faster than Iron Man and under cover of Drones she can get in to mix him up but a good Iron Man player can pin down assist calls if he is smart. Plus it gets very difficult to approach Iron man under cover of Drones, he covers the assist well and Storm has to make a good real on an assist call for Hail. This is one of the few match ups that Iron Man enjoys.

mr. puppy

Banned

dude can you go an entire day without talking about how awesome you are

Enzo: The scrubbiest Iron Man combo that does very solid damage is just cr.M st.H S j.H, j.+ d+H j.S (try to delay the hits so you end up closer to the ground), dash up Smart Bombs L cr.M st.H S MMH d+H S Smart Bombs H Proton Cannon. No dash cancels, no flight cancels just a basic relaunch combo

If you have Iron Man second, who do you put at the end to give you a strong anchor? Can X/Iron Man/Ammy work?

V_Arnold

Hm...I want a Spider-Man/Someone/Vergil team.
I just do not know who that someone should be. Any tips?

Also, are there any notable Spidey players that have good videos as well?

Thank you!

Dahbomb

If you have Iron Man second, who do you put at the end to give you a strong anchor? Can X/Iron Man/Ammy work?
Iron Man plus Ammy is godly. The corner mix ups with that set up are MarlinPie level or quite possibly even better. Also with that THC you can get another Repulsor Blast -> Smart Bomb -> Proton Cannon off.

I'm really unimpressed by Joker's play in that set versus RDK. Fanatiq's right, the dude is dropping combos left and right and his hitconfirms are ass. He also gets hit with a lot of easy reads. He's got these crazy mixups then doesn't go very far with them. Of course it looks insane, he's the only one that plays that team.
I don't play Magneto but I do play Iron Man and those confirms were sick, he almost confirmed that SJ combo with IM which isn't easy to do and was confirming damage off of stray Repulsors. He was confirming Magneto combos off of Repulsor Blast too. Also he wasn't even trying to finish combos, he was clearly going for resets with Magneto using Repulsor Blast (yeah he dropped a few but a lot of the times he was going for resets as if you have seen his other videos this is a very dirty set up he likes to do to save meter). I mean you can obviously tell that because he was finishing more combos with IM than Magneto because he doesn't like spending meter with Magneto unless the character is obviously going to die. I do agree that he needs to finish his plate more often but every MM I have seen of him he is bodying his competition so hard that he just likes to style on them. Beating RDK 5-0 is no joke, RDK is a consistent performer even in American tourneys.

His Sentinel isn't that good but he does have some mean stuff that he does if Sentinel is backed up by Repulsor Blast. Not even close to RayRay level and under Fanatiq's level but his Magneto/Iron Man are definitely high level. His tech with IM + Sentinel is outrageous in fact he basically wrote the book on it. Sentinel + IM is close to an S tier combination in terms of the screen control power you get and the corner pressure with it, I am certain that Fanatiq knows this that's why he has a problem playing MSS against that.

Oldschoolgamer

Ah. That's why he's trying to use Spencer. Makes sense.

Those were clearly resets Joker was going for. He does them to much tho..

That Triple Foot dive off of Trish assist was dope.

Frantic

Training mode monsters: How do you best utilize it? I feel like all I do is practice combos when I should be doing more to practice setups or learn new patterns.
Usually I use Record and Playback for most stuff. For mixups, I'll basically just record Player 1 doing everything against all block, then use a second controller to see if Absolute Guard takes effect, how much of a gap there is between the need to block high/low left/right, and if there are any gaps to escape/punish etc. That's how I tend to do it for pretty much everything.

Dahbomb

Joker's flowchart is that he basically gets a confirm with Magneto, takes them to the corner and if he 100% can't kill them with the combo (which is usually a lot of the time) he puts them in a reset situation either with Repulsor or Drones. With Drones he likes to use the Attraction to pin them into Drones and with Repulsor he likes to go for the cross ups. In doing so he basically gets 3 meters and the 2 characters after that one of them will die to a LVL3 and the other will die to an XF combo. This is what he is usually trying to do or his "theory" behind his actions.

His Iron Man is way more flexible and he usually saves XF for Iron Man kills. Obviously he can't go for too many resets with IM and usually tries to finish his plate then.

Hm...I want a Spider-Man/Someone/Vergil team.
I just do not know who that someone should be. Any tips?

Also, are there any notable Spidey players that have good videos as well?

Thank you!

Clint, the Master of Tasks, or Victor Von IMO. Or really, anyone with a projectile since rapid slash already works as a nice extender at the end of combos, so you'll need something to make your movement a little easier. Storm or Magneto would be fun in there too.

There isn't a breakout Spider-Man just yet I think. Mame-spider can move though, and does play a Spidey xx Vergil team, so look for some of his stuff. Forewarning that his combos are kinda booty sometimes. And I'm not a huge fan of Spidey-Hidden Missiles either, but he makes it work. Definitely try plasma beam if you're thinking about Doom though.

JeTmAn81

probably old, nice set between Joker and RDK

tony stark swag

and a triple footdive thanks to trish assist. god damn.

Am I seeing things right? Starting around 1:44, Magneto hits Wesker with a Magnetic Blast and goes into a combo which nearly kills him without meter. From what I can tell, he does between 850k and 900k in meterless damage. Is that even possible??? I couldn't see any resets in there.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Am I seeing things right? Starting around 1:44, Magneto hits Wesker with a Magnetic Blast and goes into a combo which nearly kills him without meter. From what I can tell, he does between 850k and 900k in meterless damage. Is that even possible??? I couldn't see any resets in there.

There was a reset. The combo counter went away. It was pretty fast though.

Iron Man plus Ammy is godly. The corner mix ups with that set up are MarlinPie level or quite possibly even better. Also with that THC you can get another Repulsor Blast -> Smart Bomb -> Proton Cannon off.

I don't play Magneto but I do play Iron Man and those confirms were sick, he almost confirmed that SJ combo with IM which isn't easy to do and was confirming damage off of stray Repulsors. He was confirming Magneto combos off of Repulsor Blast too. Also he wasn't even trying to finish combos, he was clearly going for resets with Magneto using Repulsor Blast (yeah he dropped a few but a lot of the times he was going for resets as if you have seen his other videos this is a very dirty set up he likes to do to save meter). I mean you can obviously tell that because he was finishing more combos with IM than Magneto because he doesn't like spending meter with Magneto unless the character is obviously going to die. I do agree that he needs to finish his plate more often but every MM I have seen of him he is bodying his competition so hard that he just likes to style on them. Beating RDK 5-0 is no joke, RDK is a consistent performer even in American tourneys.

His Sentinel isn't that good but he does have some mean stuff that he does if Sentinel is backed up by Repulsor Blast. Not even close to RayRay level and under Fanatiq's level but his Magneto/Iron Man are definitely high level. His tech with IM + Sentinel is outrageous in fact he basically wrote the book on it. Sentinel + IM is close to an S tier combination in terms of the screen control power you get and the corner pressure with it, I am certain that Fanatiq knows this that's why he has a problem playing MSS against that.

I know the difference between a deliberate reset and a fuck up. There are times where he lets go 5 or 6 hits in, or drops it in a weird position right before he was going to hyper. Hell, there's times where he misses with the hypers. If I had to guess, his completion rate in that set was somewhere around 30-40%. He's always doing these unnecessary advanced combos that he doesn't need to do to kill or build meter. He's just showing off because he thinks he can, and he gives up too many chances to RDK.

If I were Fanatic, I'd just team super every time I saw Iron Man assist come out, then snap in Sentinel once Iron Man is dead.

Dahbomb

That was an unintended reset. Wesker popped out of the Grav but was caught mashing straight into the Repulsor Blast.

If you want to see a crazy reset, check the same video at 7:40. I had to see that one again.
If I were Fanatic, I'd just team super every time I saw Iron Man assist come out, then snap in Sentine once Iron Man is deadl.
But you aren't Fanatiq and you would get bodied by that shit free. /Kappa

V_Arnold

Clint, the Master of Tasks, or Victor Von IMO. Or really, anyone with a projectile since rapid slash already works as a nice extender at the end of combos, so you'll need something to make your movement a little easier. Storm or Magneto would be fun in there too.

There isn't a breakout Spider-Man just yet I think. Mame-spider can move though, and does play a Spidey xx Vergil team, so look for some of his stuff. Forewarning that his combos are kinda booty sometimes. And I'm not a huge fan of Spidey-Hidden Missiles either, but he makes it work. Definitely try plasma beam if you're thinking about Doom though.

Thank you. Taskmaster is actually a good, great idea. I did not even consider him before, lol. And Storm as well...will report back in a few days to what I learned :D

Oldschoolgamer

I'm pretty sure the advanced combos he does nets him more than simple flight combos. Not that I can check, thanks to RDK hiding all of the vids, due to this MM stuff. :/

Tobe

man i popped vanilla mvc3 yesterday to play a friend :( magnus was sooooo fast, and goddamn at some of the bullshit logan and dante could do :lol

smurfx

get some go again
man i popped vanilla mvc3 yesterday to play a friend :( magnus was sooooo fast, and goddamn at some of the bullshit logan and dante could do :lol
i popped it in the other day and holy crap are my characters so much better in ultimate. don't know why i complained before. task does way more damage and so does haggar. well i could do way easier damage with zero but since i'm not using him i don't really care.

Dahbomb

don't know why i complained before.
Because you complain about everything except about your own characters.

/Kappa

I actually went back to Iron Man in Vanilla and while I much prefer his DF air dash in Vanilla I prefer the all around changes to IM in Ultimate more. If only he could've had both.

mr. puppy

Banned

Is it possible to do the THC bullshit that doom/ammy can or is it just useful in combos? i guess x-factor out of beam?

Tobe

i never complain about other characters. i don't remember asking for nerfs and stuff for others.

:lol ive seen you bitch about magneto's air grab. come on everybody complains about everything maybe we dont mean it but what is marvel without the bitching.

smurfx

get some go again
:lol ive seen you bitch about magneto's air grab. come on everybody complains about everything maybe we dont mean it but what is marvel without the bitching.
well i'll admit to bitching about air grabs in general as i think they are too easy. btw i saw the avengers today. it was good but i don't think it was as good as some of you made it out to be. i was expecting a certain character to show up but he didn't.
i thought the avengers would fight thanos
hawkeye and iron man were my fav in the movie. although the avengers will be my last 3d movie. i don't like the effect at all and makes me feel a little weird. oh yeah and sure enough there was a damn baby close to me. in fact there was one to the left of me and one to the right of me. plus this douchebag in front who kept looking at his stupid bright as fuck cell phone all the time. gotta love the movie going experience.

Dahbomb

Dude I have seen you complain about every top tier character. Either trenchcoats, teleporters, sword normals, zip liners, air dashers, rushdowns, Spider Mans, DMC characters.

If air throws weren't as good as they are then rushdown would've been too good same for teleporters. Air throws keep mindless rushdown and teleporters in check. The players with the best space control, defense and zoning are godlike at air throws. I just think it shouldn't be on one button.

Is it possible to do the THC bullshit that doom/ammy can or is it just useful in combos? i guess x-factor out of beam?
You can but you will only get a follow up Smart Bomb into Proton Cannon after the hard knockdown just like Firebrand plus Ammy. You don't need to XF it either. It's better to pin them down with the THC and go for the mix ups.

Marvisto vs LIJoe on stream right now. Marvisto was blowing up LIJoe with his patented Firebrand/Taskmaster/Arthur. Some crazy Arthur gimmicks up in here. Also the Canada vs Fanatiq pop off will go down here I believe.

Grecco

PR Rog claims hes dropping Spencer (and that 2 week Log Trap) and going with Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma for evo.

Reaaaaaaaally interesting. I think people are making weird assumptions after this past weekened. ( Like thinking Pheonix is still top tier)

Dahbomb

PR Rog claims hes dropping Spencer (and that 2 week Log Trap) and going with Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma for evo.
I don't know how far PRBalrog intends to push that combination of Vergil + Akuma it's DAMN fucking good but it's 2/3rds of one of my team. This team is legitimately cheap and it does have a contingency plan against zoners.

There is some scary lock down/mix up tech possible with that combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom