• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic

Late, but I just saw this and had to wonder how my Urley theory tech was treating you? :p
I haven't played it a lot recently. The way I run it(Dante/Vergil/Morrigan) has some problems. Mainly, it lacks a good neutral assist for Dante. Vergil's are okay, but they can be stuffed out pretty easily and the most useful for Dante - Rapid Slash - is kind of slow. I also don't like running Vergil on point, since the whole whiffing normals business. Plus, Million Dollars DHC into Spiral Swords = death.

I do still have it on my speed dial. Think I'll revisit it.

Azure J

I haven't played it a lot recently. The way I run it(Dante/Vergil/Morrigan) has some problems. Mainly, it lacks a good neutral assist for Dante. Vergil's are okay, but they can be stuffed out pretty easily and the most useful for Dante - Rapid Slash - is kind of slow. I also don't like running Vergil on point, since the whole whiffing normals business. Plus, Million Dollars DHC into Spiral Swords = death.

I do still have it on my speed dial. Think I'll revisit it.

Yeah, I ran into a lot of things off with the team myself, although I think some combination of the three can work still. It's my pet team now while I do some soul searching for two unique teams or one that I just love the fuck out of. Gotta have my Darkstalkers X DMC work out somehow after all. :p

Frantic

Yeah, I ran into a lot of things off with the team myself, although I think some combination of the three can work still. It's my pet team now while I do some soul searching for two unique teams or one that I just love the fuck out of. Gotta have my Darkstalkers X DMC work out somehow after all. :p

You know, I've actually been messing around with Dante/Hsien-Ko/Strider a little bit recently. As bad as Hsien-Ko is, the team itself isn't too bad. Most of the time, no matter who is second, my entire gameplan revolves around Dante/Strider... but having Senpu-Bu for lockdown, mixups and chip setups is actually pretty nice since it's out for so long. On the off chance I can get Gold Hsien-Ko out, it's done. Dante + Gold Senpu-Bu + Vajra is just unfair.

As for when Hsien-Ko comes out if Dante happens to die... well, everyone has to respect Vajra, no matter who is on point. And if I can get XF2 Strider + Orbs + Gold Hsien-Ko, shits free.

Plus, I like that it gives me two characters that some people consider a big enough theoretical threat that they snap 'em in. It allows my Dante to live longer if I get hit. It's a high level strategy! :p

Dahbomb

Honestly between Dante and Vergil if Dante is going first I prefer Rising Sun. Dante can combo off his throw and can still do corner mix ups with it and combo after it with at teleport. To be honest Dante benefits somewhat from all of Vergil's assist and ditto for Vergil and Dante. You can put these 2 on any any team and the team is top tier, their synergy is that godly. As if it was always meant to be...

Dahbomb

I found an XF infinite with Vergil too. Pretty easy, going to post the notations up on SRK and see if someone can upload it (or if they have already done it and I missed it).

It's Blah blah, hard knock down, Rising Hightime link j.L j.M j.H d+H and repeat.

I have easier X factor TOD combos with Vergil than this so it's going to be rare using this.

Dahbomb

That would be a good thing to test out but my guess is that it won't. Someone tried to SoV through it and it absorbed it all. I am 90% sure that it can absorb Gravity Squeeze too because it's also a projectile.

Vergil katana is forged with his demon soul, he and Nero can control it telekinetically so Magneto might not be able to rip it out of his hand. Son of Sparda etc.

Catching up on the rest of the Curly Mustache tournament... The Dieminion vs Jago set was brilliant.
Dieminion with that smart assist choice change that made the difference and Jago adjusting to the new strategy as well. Jago triumphed by playing smart/patient and a bit of XF Wesker in there. Also Dieminion's use of VJ dodge was exquisite, people sleep on this tool of Joe as this tool on a top character would be too good. I know Yipes was talking about the Tiger Uppercut counter to get through the mess but I don't like it personally, it still sucks.

Well then it depends on who has the stronger will.

Also, blades still lose to high durability, massive hitbox hypers like Proton Cannon of course. Shockwave may or may not beat it, but I don't think Gravity Squeeze would lose. There's no info on its durability anywhere.

Dahbomb

I was going to test out some stuff with it on Monday but it seems someone else is already on top of it.

Swords loses to Stalking Flare as well after clashing but the Stalking Flare that remains barely has any juice left. Chaotic Flames probably wins too.

MastaCJ vs Alukard -
Yeah that "stylin" cost Alukard the match. Gun shot THC should've been enough although I am not 100% sure on that as he did it afterwards and it left Wesker on a magic pixel and he came back from that. Anyway MastaCJ got super hyped up after that comeback.

So i think I'm ok at this game, I can hang (though not beat) with most of the players at the tier below wong/combofiend but every time I run into zero i just get ffffuuccckkkeeeeddddd uuuupppppppp. Like I have no idea what to do against him. I wish my tourney matches vs. stone were recorded so yall could see me getting ripped a new one, but anyhows how do I beat zero?!? I play this game way too raw, I really need to stop relying on general skills and learn some effin knowledge.

edit - also spencer, but not anywhere near to the extend of zero

Chaotic Flames and the Phantom Blades have the same durability, but I don't know if Vergil can just dash through the flames before his blades get used up, or it the hitbox on CF just negates it off the bat.

Dahbomb

Team set up? Not a lot of characters or strats beat Zero but he does have tendencies you can pick up on players that like to abuse which can be beaten if you play smart.

Team set up? Not a lot of characters or strats beat Zero but he does have tendencies you can pick up on players that like to abuse which can be beaten if you play smart.

I'm using Storm point, wolves (berserker barrage), sent drones anchor.

I've been thinking about putting wolverine on point though since he builds meter better than storm, and i can dhc to storm really easily off speed up to punish dumb assists covering zero, though in reality what's giving me the hardest time is I have no idea what the properties of his lightning nonsense are, none the less how to deal with it. Same thing with block strings, I totally didn't pay attention to whether zero was charging or not, so a lot of times i'd get hit by a buster shot -> death.

Stone likes to just random lightning things and jump around S(or is it H?) a lot, I don't think he's that good to be honest, he just plays gimmicky.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So, in the event that Magneto and Dante switch places:

Jam Session, Attraction, Hyper Grav H connects (I was practicing midscreen with the cpu in the corner). I'm not really sure where to go from there, because of the jam session scaling. I can get a small flight loop off, but it feels like they're to high for blast loops. Advice?

I feel so behind playing Dante. His day one shit is fun to land tho.

zlatko

Banned
So i think I'm ok at this game, I can hang (though not beat) with most of the players at the tier below wong/combofiend but every time I run into zero i just get ffffuuccckkkeeeeddddd uuuupppppppp. Like I have no idea what to do against him. I wish my tourney matches vs. stone were recorded so yall could see me getting ripped a new one, but anyhows how do I beat zero?!? I play this game way too raw, I really need to stop relying on general skills and learn some effin knowledge.

edit - also spencer, but not anywhere near to the extend of zero

Best way to learn is honestly just play him for yourself, and mimic the shit being done to you, and learn the BnBs. You don't need to take it online or outside of the lab, just sit in training to see what it is you do as a Zero player(spencer), then you think of what your characters can do to avoid it/punish it.(way easier said than done)

What's your team? If you see someone is using Zero on point, you need to hold nothing back. Start the character who you have that does the best against him, and if you catch him in a combo, X factor that clown and blow him up.

That's the best I can suggest oh and that Hawkeye vs Zero I believe is a 5-5 match up, so you can at least hold your ground if you are a good Hawkeye player.

Edit: Your best bet seeing who your characters are is to use Wolverine on point, back up at the start of a match, call out sent drones, and then do some quick rush down shit with mix ups to open him up free. Wolvy can kill Zero without X factor at the start of a match can't he?

Dahbomb

You want Wolverine on point. Don't try to guess if Zero has a charge or not.. assume he always has a Buster charge ready to go. The best way to beat Zero is to get him to block and the best way to do that is to get him in Drones and mix him up while he is in drones. If he's the best character on the team (aka the problem) pop that X factor. If you are unable to penetrate his defense, Berserker Charge and DHC into Storm. If he is close to dying, pop that X factor with Storm or continue the DHC into Sentinel. It's resources well spent.

As either Wolverine or Storm you can't challenge Zero's buttons. You have to play it safe and rely on your Sentinel Drones for cover. Remember that he can blow up Drones so make sure you are also pressing Zero yourself while Drones are out so he doesn't let one loose.

Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Morrigan, Dormammu, Dante and a few other characters go even with Zero thanks to them having a ranged game that can keep Zero honest. Some guy on SRK thinks Jill can beat Zero head to head thanks to invincible Somersault beating his buttons. Personally I can keep Zero in check with my Vergil and even though Vergil has all the tools he need to beat Zero (a st.H cuts through Buster like paper) it's still a very tense situation to be in anyway. If you happen to get Wolverine killed, play super defensive with Storm and lame him out with Whirlwinds, Drones and Hail.

Oldschoolgamer

Be glad that Capcom didn't make Vergil's taunt canon. It's like Felicia's meter gain move only... this is Vergil who gets incrementally stronger with each bar of meter he has.

Dante's too for that matter. I know it did that shit in DMC3, but I didn't think they would keep that aspect of the swords that op. lol.

DR2K

Banned

I've been thinking about putting wolverine on point though since he builds meter better than storm, and i can dhc to storm really easily off speed up to punish dumb assists covering zero, though in reality what's giving me the hardest time is I have no idea what the properties of his lightning nonsense are, none the less how to deal with it. Same thing with block strings, I totally didn't pay attention to whether zero was charging or not, so a lot of times i'd get hit by a buster shot -> death.

Stone likes to just random lightning things and jump around S(or is it H?) a lot, I don't think he's that good to be honest, he just plays gimmicky.

Cheese Zero with typhoons and hail Storm. Since you have drones it's even easier. Just don't respect Zero and let him in. That's my experience with the Storm/Zero matchup.

Just to add to Dahbomb's post, Wolverine's opening gambit with drones (or similar great assists) in the back is better than most characters, especially those who can't walk back especially fast.

Just walk forward while mashing f+H and drones, Zero's moves start up pretty slow and he doesn't walk backwards too fast. If he manages to tech the throw, you've got drones already coming behind you for some more stuff for him to deal with.

Works the exact same with air throw too.

Dahbomb

Vergil's taunt is different than Dante's. Dante's only works when you do a proper taunt (ie in front of enemies like real up close and complete the taunt). Vergil's taunt works without enemies even present and it has no limit on it's meter gain. It made Bloody Palace runs stupid easy with Vergil because he can just build meter, DT to regain health and repeat before starting a round. They fixed this in DMC4 by making BP timed.

Of course Vergil still isn't even as powerful as Dante was in DMC3. He is 1/10th of his power in UMVC3 may be even less.

Oldschoolgamer

I had no idea you could spam his taunt without enemies around. By the time I got around to playing as Vergil in SE, I had taunting in front of enemies so ingrained in my head that I didn't think to do it without them. That's pretty crazy and broken.

BP would have been so much easier had I known that. PJSalt

Bizazedo

Just walk forward while mashing f+H and drones, Zero's moves start up pretty slow and he doesn't walk backwards too fast. If he manages to tech the throw, you've got drones already coming behind you for some more stuff for him to deal with.

Works the exact same with air throw too.

Yup. Zero's greatest weakness is the very beginning of the match and people crowding him. I try to tell people Zero's stuff actually doesn't come out the quickest (especially as people normally use L to charge bustah), but alas, why listen.

I actually think UMVC3 makes some poeple worse fighters due to the ease at which they blame characters rather than the usual truth (that they done fucked up).

Dahbomb

It certainly makes people lazier that's for sure.

I really hope people like MarlinPie win more tournaments and get more exposure. Send the message out that you can't just derp your way to victory, you have to actually learn combos, hit the lab and use the tech that is available in the game. I will say that in the end it was Marlin's fundamentals that won him the tournament as it's his fundamentals where he leveled up to win it in the end (he actually played defensive against Noel Brown and played the match ups). Probably played the best he has in a long ass time.

Also people asking for Morrigan nerfs... WTF...

I really hope people like MarlinPie win more tournaments and get more exposure. Send the message out that you can't just derp your way to victory, you have to actually learn combos, hit the lab and use the tech that is available in the game. I will say that in the end it was Marlin's fundamentals that won him the tournament as it's his fundamentals where he leveled up to win it in the end (he actually played defensive against Noel Brown and played the match ups). Probably played the best he has in a long ass time.

WHAT? HE LEARNED DEFENSE? Vids?

Dahbomb

Link to Curley Mustache tournament should be in the OP. Just check out the archives. Marlin
loses
against Alukard (great set by the way) and performs godly in the tournament itself. Great all around tournament, must watch for Marvel fans.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Marlin Pie defense = counter tech

he loves Viper's Focus attack tricks, EX "i dont give a fuck" moves. and Okami shuffle rush.

Can't remember if it was Viscant or Dahbomb who said that Morrigan is A/S tier in this game because she stops all the S tier characters' bullshit shenanigans. Watching Chris G's Morrigan blow up Jago, I see that this is the truth.
I'm still not convinced. I want to see her pull that nonsense at several majors. I want to see if any more matchups like Ammy exist. I want to see what happens when she goes up against a meter building team. I want to see what happens when she is the last one standing.

Tiers are a cumulation of performance on all levels and all we've got so far as that she is godlike with assists. I think she does qualify for low A tier though...

Also people asking for Morrigan nerfs... WTF...
Yeah, people bitched all day, but Marlinpie definitely walked away from that match a better player because of her and Doom. It's fucked up that they actually want to nerf a character that actually builds character. Yipes was mentioning how new school people need to play third strike and older games in order to "build character", but when the real thing shows up in Ultimate everyone and their mother turns into a big baby.

Extremely hype deflating since this is the first time she has shown so much dominance and it had me hyped.

Dahbomb

Hey man I was hyped as hell. Also this is not the first time Morrigan has shown dominance, ChrisG has been sweeping Big 2's and The Break with his Morrigan team. Also Dieminion does the same. ChrisG and Dieminion both think Morrigan is top 5 in this game and while I don't agree with that sentiment they are making a case for her with results and performance under their belts. People see Soul Fist spam and don't realize how perfectly ChrisG was executing his game plan and doing SF fly SF cancels so consistently.

Can't remember if it was Viscant or Dahbomb who said that Morrigan is A/S tier in this game because she stops all the S tier characters' bullshit shenanigans. Watching Chris G's Morrigan blow up Jago, I see that this is the truth.
I was the one who said it. I had her in A tier, people were like "no way she should be B" and I gave some comments on why I felt she is A. I specifically said that she shuts down many bull shit options of the opponent especially teleport tactics and she has very good match ups against the better characters. Plus her meter building assist is extremely valuable in Ultimate compared to vanilla and for a Phoenix team that assist is MONEY.

I have her in low A as well so at least me and Solar see eye to eye on that. She was one of the few characters where my initial assessment on her was incorrect and only after playing her a bit, playing against her and watching some matches did I realize her strengths. I had her all wrong in vanilla.

I'm still not convinced. I want to see her pull that nonsense at several majors. I want to see if any more matchups like Ammy exist. I want to see what happens when she goes up against a meter building team. I want to see what happens when she is the last one standing.
Shuma Gorath laser and possibly a well placed Vajra. Also Dr Strange with the projectile counter + SoV and Vergil with his SS (Vergil doesn't give 2 rats ass about zoning). That team set up is beatable and it's why ChrisG didn't use it in most of the tournament (like against MastaCJ, a random Chaotic Flame into Shockwave -> XF would've killed 2 characters).

When Morrigan is the last one standing and the other character is out of XF (and she has hers) she can win the match. Dieminion plays anchor Morrigan and has won a ton of games with her alone. Also there is something to Morrigan that neither player does.. her rushdown is actually pretty good you just need to cover her approach with fireballs. The Japanese players played some rushdown Morrigan with some very nice movement patterns.

I wish I had Jill DLC. I think I can actually play her and I think she is really good too. I am hoping there is a sale on her and she is available for a dollar.

I wish I had Jill DLC. I think I can actually play her and I think she is really good too. I am hoping there is a sale on her and she is available for a dollar.

She was on sale for $2 on PSN a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if that's still the case or not, but maybe someone can check.

Morrigan plus anybody who loves meter is always a good idea.

And yeah, I agree. Morrigan is in low A due to fireball lockdown with Doom's missile(LOOOOLLLLL).

One of the reasons I think Hawkeye is so good is he shuts down so much of the bullshit in this game.

kirblar

anybody know how well Vergil would fit in the Morrigan/x/Doom team? People are talking about it on srk and its seems like a decent idea.
You can THC Morrigan's DP super into Vergil's swords, then teleport and continue the combo. Vergil also loves the Morrigan assist.

Azure J

Vergil + Morrigan is the sugar mama combination. Paired with a decent beam assist, things get stupid quick between Vergil's increasing threat level the more meter he has stocked and quick beams allowing him to start left-rights with teleport and assist. SRK's Vergil/Morrigan/Doom is a pretty cool team for this. Magnus with Estaka on anchor seems stronger to me though.

Also, I find it hilarious that people are messing with meter assist theory craft now. I wish I had some of my old conversations with Sixfortyfive on hand from the old Marvel threads. And yeah, Morrigan isn't high tier, just a solid low to mid A.

Edit: Dr. Strange is a hard Morrigan counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom