• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always want an underrated character to win. Last year's Evo made people finally stop pretending like Double Lariat wasn't godlike. I got so sick of that shit. Kusoru made me do a happy dance with his team. Really, all I care about is people's opinions getting humbled. I want anything to happen that makes US players realize that they don't understand this game yet.

Azure J

I always want an underrated character to win. Last year's Evo made people finally stop pretending like Double Lariat wasn't godlike. I got so sick of that shit. Kusoru made me do a happy dance with his team. Really, all I care about is people's opinions getting humbled. I want anything to happen that makes US players realize that they don't understand this game yet.

Someone needs to bust out a Hsien Ko in top 8 just for the reactions. :lol

and Mahvel heads said the anime games had disturbing communities.

Goddamn :p
Maybe a Japanese player winning EVO? Dacid should win EVO(impossible). I'd fucking die laughing if a BB player actually won grand finals.

I try to forget about the willful ignorance that people displayed last year for a whole lot of shit. Damn near everyone thought Lariat/Gustav fire were okay, no one had issues with Dante's retarded normals/damage until after he was patched, few people complained about Magneto being stupid fucking fast with the best beam on point/assist position and people kept acting like Phoenix was a-okay. It was shameless defense of their own characters even if the game was being ruined by dumb shit. Now people act like Morrigan is going to destroy UMvC3 despite the fact that she still doesn't have as much majors under her belt as the lower end tournament winning characters in Vanilla.

Dahbomb should bust out those old tournament stats he had for Vanilla. It'd be a neat comparison tool once EVO season is over and data can be compiled for UMvC3's tournament life.
Maybe if some maniac is paying just to see her at EVO top 8.

Don't look at me. I'm too busy playing and paying for Skullgirls related stuff

I just want people to win to prove me right. Viscant proved me right about Haggar assist shutting down Logan last year. LET US HAVE A REPEAT!

Yes I knew how stupid vanilla Lariat was. I ABUSED THAT A LOT!

Tobe

ill be happy if every match in top 8 has TOD combos, lot character variety. come on for thor on top 16!!! ill wait for some jwong broken tech also, im not believing the im motivated till i see that shit in action.
if miracles do exist i expect some hard counter to zero.

I don't want Jwong to win. Hell, I want him to get eliminated in pools with the way he has been playing Marvel lately and refusing to actually practice the game.

Of the known players, I want Noel(he does put time in this game)/Chris G/Fchamp/Infrint/Abegen/Mihe/Yipes/Marlinpie to make it far in Marvel and one of them among others to win it. If not a nobody with a top tier character that nobody plays such as Dorm.

And hopefully Spidey shows up and makes people hate him.

I would do it...!

Maybe a Japanese player winning EVO? Dacid should win EVO(impossible). I'd fucking die laughing if a BB player actually won grand finals.
Has Dacid ever won anything?

I try to forget about the willful ignorance that people displayed last year for a whole lot of shit. Damn near everyone thought Lariat/Gustav fire were okay, no one had issues with Dante's retarded normals/damage until after he was patched, few people complained about Magneto being stupid fucking fast with the best beam on point/assist position and people kept acting like Phoenix was a-okay. It was shameless defense of their own characters even if the game was being ruined by dumb shit. Now people act like Morrigan is going to destroy UMvC3 despite the fact that she still doesn't have as much majors under her belt as the lower end tournament winning characters in Vanilla.
I still think Vanilla Phoenix was pretty balanced...

I don't want Jwong to win. Hell, I want him to get eliminated in pools with the way he has been playing Marvel lately and refusing to actually practice the game.

Of the known players, I want Noel(he does put time in this game)/Chris G/Fchamp/Infrint/Abegen/Mihe/Yipes/Marlinpie to make it far in Marvel and one of them among others to win it. If not a nobody with a top tier character that nobody plays such as Dorm.

I don't want ChrisG to win because it would mean Morrigan nerfs. :-/

Unless it would mean Hidden Missile nerfs. Then yeah!

Dr. Strange Advice Time!
Alright, so I'm new to Dr. Strange and am having trouble figuring a few things out. The team is Dr. Strange/Dormammu/Morrigan, but I'm not really looking for team advice, just Dr. Strange advice. Any help is greatly appreciated:

1) After a knockdown, what is my best setup for a reset?

2) What is my best mixup on an incoming character? I know someone mentioned Agamotto, but I can't get it out in time to make it safe for a lot of my combo enders.

3) What is my blockstring ender? Mystic Sword L sometimes whiffs, and everything else seems to be really negative on block. I've thought about canceling into Teleport H, which would be less unsafe than most of my other options it seems. The strategy guide says to use Mystic Sword M, but that's -16 on block and looks like Amaterasu might be able to duck under it. On that note, is Flames of the Faltine duck-able by a lot of the smaller cast members? Someone suggested Eye of Agamotto, but the guide says that would put me at -13 if I cancel on on the first frame of my magic series recovery.

4) What exactly is my battleplan if I can't call assists out? I was fighting a Nemesis/Hulk/Sentinel player, and even from fullscreen there was no way I would be able to get Eye of Agamotto out safely either. Nemesis was always doing the jumping tentacle attack backed by drones, and Hulk was always doing Gamma Charge. Throwing out a bunch of Daggers of Denak seemed pretty futile, giving me just a bit of chip until he closed in. My basic battle plan was to superjump and do Grace of Hoggoth M, Flames of the Faltine, Teleport M to get in. If it hit, wonderful...

5) Is it actually worth taking the time to get 3 Grace of Hoggoth L's out? As a Dormammu player, I always work to get Dark Spells charged, but Dr. Strange's beam almost never paid off when I worked hard to get it out there.

6) Is it pretty much always a terrible idea to superjump and do Daggers of Denak? I got lots of great combos from doing this, but I feel like it was only because my opponent didn't understand how the ability works, and that hitting me would make it go away. Am I able to block on the way down, or am I 100% prone?

7) Lets say I get Eye of Agamotto on the screen, and I Impact Palm it out there. Assuming I don't want to teleport mix-up my opponent, what should I be doing while it's floating toward my opponent?

8) What should I do right after a naked teleport M? I'm not asking whether this is a good idea (I know it's not), I'm just asking. c.L has whiffed a few times, and c.LM, s.H, f.H puts my opponent out of range of f.H sometimes. Should I just go straight into Impact Palm?

That's all I can think of for now. Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to provide thoughtful answers.

ADVICE: Go PM Maziodyne those questions. He probably is the best one and I know the three grace beam is a great mix up tool and reset tool. The scaling matters shit due to how much damage Strange can do with palm and flames.

All I know.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
LOL.

h6aIX.jpg

This EVO is gonna be crazy for this game. I also hope that a real Parker does show up too, be perfect timing what with the movie coming out that weekend and all >_>

I don't think there's a favourite for the game, Viscant had it right when he said there's about 30 legit threats to win, hahaha. Epitome of Any Given Sunday. Maybe that's why I can't leave this game. A bad bracket = you mean nothing to me.

Ahhhhhhhhh I wanna go to a major soon T_T

OT: People need to quote this game more. DIE ALREADY <3 Jill.

Dahbomb

Judging from his Tweets he has been going in on Marvel and going to the Dark side. Let's see his performance at Toryuken before judging or discounting him. 1 month of Justin Wong training mode/lab time is a year of other player's lab time.

And LMAO @ RayRay and Fanatiq trying to flex their muscles before match time. I love this... this is what I LIVE FOR!!!

hey man zero is the best character in the game right? so its an outrageous prediction to say he won't be in the championship match. hell i'll even go as far as saying he won't be in the top 4.
Best characters don't always win championships. He's still the best character in the game but the reason why I didn't pick him because not enough top players are picking him.

Azure J

We should have high profile MM in Mahvel more often if these are the trends that result.

FEED ME MOAR.

I just watched like the instant it dropped and forgot to post about it in here. Good shit. I wish if I had half of an iota of understanding when it came to Magnus. I'd totally put him on and run a Dante/Felicia/Magnus secondary team.

As for the money matches, I'd kill to see a high stakes high level Dante match. Also Clock vs. Neo: The Revengance. :p

Dahbomb should bust out those old tournament stats he had for Vanilla. It'd be a neat comparison tool once EVO season is over and data can be compiled for UMvC3's tournament life.

Don't look at me. I'm too busy playing and paying for Skullgirls related stuff

Hmm, I just realized that out of everything wrong with Vanilla, the only one that is in this collection of notes that change in Ultimate too drastically was Phoenix. Honestly, just the system changes (X-Factor tweaks, TAC bar stealing) alone were enough to keep JEEEEEEAN at bay, but a little part of me feels (even now) that they took it too far (even though they didn't break her). The health nerf is perhaps the one that I felt was too far. Actions in the air should have been capped at 2 instead of one outside of flight. Everything else they did well.

The Dante thing is fascinating to me because I feel like he's been perfectly balanced coming from the shit he could do in Vanilla. At the same time, the dev team decides to include Vergil and give him the same things in this game that made people hate Dante in Vanilla barring a completely invincible "respect my fucking space" move a la Hammer. Wide arc slashes with wild active areas? Check. Ways around hitstun scaling? Check. Disrespects damage and builds wild meter off of one particular loop? Check. It's like, there's no consistency in design decisions there unless they think everyone's going to whiff everything, hence that "intentional" weakness. What's worse, Vergil's moves are actually way faster than the majority of Dante's.

You also just reminded me of taking a look at vanilla footage on FADC and thinking "was Magneto always that damn fast?" Son looked like he hopped straight out of Smash Bros. with that jitterbug he called an df air dash.

Edit: While we're posting tech vids popping up lately, has this been posted before? Multi Lock Proof of Concept.

Jesus fucking Christ, this character. :lol

EDIT2: Multilock - Raw Stinger - Plink BC Teleport works, we got mixup swag. Call an assist for even more insanity.

JeTmAn81

Just played a set with DJHuoshen on Live player match. I went down 0-10 before throwing in the towel. His team? Vergil/Felicia/Taskmaster. His Vergil was pretty godly to fight, but then he was pretty much doing straight up Rapid Slash on incoming and I wasn't able to block it at all. I don't think I blocked any of his Rapid Slashes. Anyway, that dude has the sword spirals down tight. It was a somewhat laggy connection, but I don't know if he missed it even once. He comboed me so long I started to wonder if Vergil had achieved infinite meter regeneration somehow. I msged him after and said I was sad he wasn't using Skrull.

Dahbomb

That's some next level mix up technology right there.

Leave it to Dante to pioneer shit like that in Marvel.

Vergil point on Houshen's team means he has fully optimized it for Vergil meaning horizontal projectile assist for mix ups/pressure and an OTG assist for combo extensions. I thought he would put Vergil down the order a bit maybe at 2nd.

Azure J

Just played a set with DJHuoshen on Live player match. I went down 0-10 before throwing in the towel. His team? Vergil/Felicia/Taskmaster. His Vergil was pretty godly to fight, but then he was pretty much doing straight up Rapid Slash on incoming and I wasn't able to block it at all. I don't think I blocked any of his Rapid Slashes. Anyway, that dude has the sword spirals down tight. It was a somewhat laggy connection, but I don't know if he missed it even once. He comboed me so long I started to wonder if Vergil had achieved infinite meter regeneration somehow. I msged him after and said I was sad he wasn't using Skrull.

No more INFERRRRRRNNNOOOOOOOs at majors? ;__;

That's some next level mix up technology right there.

Leave it to Dante to pioneer shit like that in Marvel.

My scrub ass is already finding the dumbest fucking things with this discovery. Multi Lock was the sleeper Dante tool all along. :lol

FSLink

Banned
The Dante thing is fascinating to me because I feel like he's been perfectly balanced coming from the shit he could do in Vanilla. At the same time, the dev team decides to include Vergil and give him the same things in this game that made people hate Dante in Vanilla barring a completely invincible "respect my fucking space" move a la Hammer. Wide arc slashes with wild active areas? Check. Ways around hitstun scaling? Check. Disrespects damage and builds wild meter off of one particular loop? Check. It's like, there's no consistency in design decisions there unless they think everyone's going to whiff everything, hence that "intentional" weakness. What's worse, Vergil's moves are actually way faster than the majority of Dante's.

Yep. As someone who used She-Hulk in vanilla, it kinda irritates me that they nerfed her slide, one of her few ways of getting in but have no problem giving a huge slide range to Frank West and Hawkeye. I mean I feel that those two characters need it too but it's just doesn't feel very consistent. Also Spiral Swords being 1 level of super vs. Strider's needing 3 bars is kinda messed up. Then again, I don't think Strider needs a Lv1 Ouroboros, but it's just another thing of consistency. Maybe they just thought that Spiral Swords wasn't gonna be this good and didn't know about the Vergil SS loops.

Frantic

I would do it. Run Dante/Hsien-ko/Strider. My strategy would be to land a hit with Dante/Vajra, build 1-2 meters, DHC Million Dollars into Gold Armor, then raw tag back into Dante during the spinning knockdown. Then the invulnerable assist fun can start.

Well, you listed all the things that will get nerfed in the next iteration.

But then they'll add Nero and the process will begin again.

Edit: While we're posting tech vids popping up lately, has this been posted before? Multi Lock Proof of Concept.
I saw that recently, and it's pretty cool. I kinda want to do a whiffed j.S off an Acid Rain into Upshots on block to keep them in the air for chip, then cancel into Stinger > Reverb Shock. At the very least, it'd look cool.

Dahbomb said:
So basically Dante moves from S tier to... S tier?
A
SS tier.

Dahbomb

I actually thought that was going to be SSS "Stylish Son of Sparda" and thus the the reveal made it even funnier. :D

But then they'll and add Nero
Basically Nero in the game will trump all DMC characters simultaneously.. the hilarious part is that he doesn't even have a teleport nor will he even need it.

Azure J

I would do it. Run Dante/Hsien-ko/Strider. My strategy would be to land a hit with Dante/Vajra, build 1-2 meters, DHC Million Dollars into Gold Armor, then raw tag back into Dante during the spinning knockdown. Then the invulnerable assist fun can start.

You know, that's the same team I thought of using as a tribute to the Ko a while back. I should mess around with it some.

Nero would be wild hype though. Ziplines & Skrull like command grabs, Revving and Rev Cancels (his bold cancels - would charge sword specials one level), wall bouncing gunshots and gunshots that explode lifting folks into the air for hard knockdowns, Devil Trigger that acts like Oroborus with a phantom sword hitbox the size of Ammy's Glaive slashes...

He would make the salt fucking flow towards DMC as a franchise. Why no one realizes they're good because that's how they are in their source games is beyond me.

Frantic

Basically Nero in the game will trump all DMC characters simultaneously.. the hilarious part is that he doesn't even have a teleport nor will he even need it.
Pretty much. They'd have to be very careful if they were to add Nero into this game, otherwise he'd be broken beyond even vanilla Dante. Still would like to see him, just for the salt that would happen.

Dahbomb said:
If Dante has that then Vergil should have it too.
Actually, it's impossible for Vergil to have it. It's thanks to Dante's flight in DT. Devil Trigger runs out during the startup of Flight, cutting the startup short and dropping Dante, allowing him to land a j.L instant overhead.

Dahbomb

Nero in UMVC3X:

*Sword normals on par with Dante, no Stinger but instead has Streak which is similar. Has Roulette Spin special in the air for combos.

*EX versions of all his specials and normals. Gives him more range, damage and new properties. Stuff like OTG Helm Breaker (known as Split). The EX/Rev system will have it's own gauge most likely and be a timing based system.

*Zipline/Devil Bringer like Spencer for mobility. He can even grapple opponents like Spencer and smack them to the ground. Has a command throw option (Buster) at close range and can do it in the air too, leads into a ground bounce to full combo.

*Has Calibur (air dash like move but with a hit box/attack) and double jump. Has defensive moves on the ground that will make the opponent's attacks whiff like Table Hopper and Shuffle.

*Blue Rose is a chargeable attack with 3 LVLs like Zero. First charge just causes a wall/ground bounce on impact, hits OTG. 2nd LVL has more durability, more damage and has an explosion effect for more bounce/damage. 3rd LVL has even more durability, has the same initial explosion as LVL2 but tags the opponent with an explosive shell (think Shuma Mystic Share) which explodes after a certain time leading into a comboable state. Can cancel any of his special moves into Blue Rose like Zero, air OK.

*Devil Trigger is like Sogenmu + DT of the twins. Gets regeneration, better speed and damage along with a summoned clone DT that increases range of his attacks even further (to Vergil level). On top of this every time he charges Blue Rose, the discharge comes with Summoned Sword formations that release automatically. 2 for LVL1, 4, LVL2 and 6 for LVL3.. just like in the games.

*Has 2 LVL2 hypers Maximum Bet and Showdown only available in DT mode (basically 2 LVL3s). Maximum Bet is similar to Dark Angel and Showdown is similar to Zero's LVL3. He has a stock combo extender LVL1 hyper which is probably just going to be his EX Streak x3 and doesn't require you to be in DT mode.

Nero being S tier would basically be "canon" to the DMC series.

Honestly I would MUCH rather have Gene and a bunch of other Capcom characters than Nero. I am sure many people would agree. He's a cool standalone character and if there were more slots to give out then maybe but he's a pipe dream for a Marvel game at this stage.

Azure J

Actually, it's impossible for Vergil to have it. It's thanks to Dante's flight in DT. Devil Trigger runs out during the startup of Flight, cutting the startup short and dropping Dante, allowing him to land a j.L instant overhead.

Hold up, that's all this is? And here I thought falling out of a DT Fly was a animation you couldn't do anything out of... :lol

Honestly I would MUCH rather have Gene and a bunch of other Capcom characters than Nero. I am sure many people would agree.

Hell yea, still want my Megaman X dammit. :lol

Could you imagine if Dante had the lucifer in umvc3? oh god

I think it was Frantic that suggested it before, but Dante's DMC4 incarnation has potential to be more broken than the current MVC3/DMC3 inspired Dante.

Would be worth it if he had Pandora's Box as a level 3.

I still demand Franklin Richards to be put in the game. Teleports, small hitbox, airdash, flight, attraction/repulsion, slows, immobilization, projectiles, dark holes and disjointed hitboxes.

Yeah. Let us get that broken kid in here.

Hold up, that's all this is? And here I thought falling out of a DT Fly was a animation you couldn't do anything out of... :lol

I think it was Frantic that suggested it before, but Dante's DMC4 incarnation has potential to be more broken than the current MVC3/DMC3 inspired Dante.

Would be worth it if he had Pandora's Box as a level 3.

I think the instant overhead works because you go back to normal dante in mid air so the game treats it like he's just falling normally and lets the normal come out. Also DMC4 Dante wouldn't have the potential to be broken, he would be broken guaranteed.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Thanks for the team help, by the way. I run Jam session because I like zoning.

A flying Dante with Yamato alongside of his regular sword normals. *shudders*

Honestly I would MUCH rather have Gene and a bunch of other Capcom characters than Nero. I am sure many people would agree. He's a cool standalone character and if there were more slots to give out then maybe but he's a pipe dream for a Marvel game at this stage.

Definitely, Nero would be a very interesting choice for sure, but this game needs some more blue first if you know what I mean.

Only if he comes with his badass red energy scarf, otherwise I want Shooting Star more >.>

Btw, I'm looking for XBL matches rn.

I've been messing around with Chris G's Phoenix team since I already use 2/3rd's of it anyway, but I'm not feeling Phoenix' shitty stamina even with her regeneration super. I did want to use Vergil at the beginning and I need some more bullshit on my team...
Everyone would agree.

everyone

Hmm... so if you set up a good combo, you can reset with it.

Want me to tell you a secret? Use Ammy's meter assist instead. That way Morrigan gets insane meter build when she is on point and Phoenix gets retarded meter build on point so she can blow meter more so.

But Magneto/Doom/Phoenix is honestly the best Phoenix team in Ultimate.

But Magneto/Doom/Phoenix is honestly the best Phoenix team in Ultimate.

LOL

It was the best team in vanilla when you could do 1.1 million damage while building four bars, but now? No way in hell. It's an awesome team, but nowhere near as good as Morrigan/Doom or Zero/Doom.

Can't rely on down TACs, can't kill in one combo without spending bar, you always have to be vigilant while protecting Doom.

Well maybe the Zero part is correct. But you forgot the big thing: Characters can function with one assist and MINIMAL bar usage for damage. Doom/Magneto/Zero do not need meter to do high damage. Mags due to mix ups and resets, Doom due to his high damage normals. Viscant wrote a paragraph of what Phoenix depends on.

Morrigan needs meter for her high damage potential. Her mix ups aren't as great as Mags and doesn't have ultra stupid hitbox like foot dive.

Zero, you may have me there.

Azure J

I've been messing around with Chris G's Phoenix team since I already use 2/3rd's of it anyway, but I'm not feeling Phoenix' shitty stamina even with her regeneration super. I did want to use Vergil at the beginning and I need some more bullshit on my team...

Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Morrigan (Harmonizer)/Ammy (Cold Star)

or

Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

The former is if you aren't a Doom person. You get Vergil's Lunar Phase/Spiral Sword extensions with High Time + Cold Star assist call and Morrigan gives him lots of meter to play nice with. Ammy's assist is good times with Morrigan's rushing ability and Amaterasu is a solid anchor. The latter is modular, on point Verg gets aerial coverage from missiles, lots of meter from Morrigan and with a Round Trip tag, you get the scariest anchor possible with a fast screen filling assist that can aid both her zoning and rushdown thanks to soft knockdown properties. MorriDoom is a winning concept already with intricacies that we both know already. Doom also gets some mileage from the Rapid Slash assist for fly over mixups, corner extensions on the FOOT FOOT DIVE loops and a generally better chance than with just Doom by himself on anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom