• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morrigan needs meter for her high damage potential. Her mix ups aren't as great as Mags and doesn't have ultra stupid hitbox like foot dive.

You know I also put out a big paragraph on what Phoenix needs right like two pages ago? And that I took Magneto/Doom/Phoenix to EVO last year?

Did you know that Morrigan's damage potential is 100% irrelevant to why she works? She can do down tags that can't be countered by mashing down. That means marlinpie doom TACs become a reliable tool in a phoenix team. Even with the most retarded Morrigan combo you can build 3-4 bars and if you haven't hit 5, spend 2.7 seconds to runaway with doom and call meter assist twice. Not to mention, fireball spam plus hidden missiles is dumb.

Zero can do the same thing, except he's better at corner press, does more damage, is harder to block and he can do sougenmu loops before the TAC to kill AND build stupid meter. Which as far as I'm concerned, makes him by far the best Phoenix partner. It's the only way to Play phoenix while losing nothing that a standard team gets. You're basically playing with half the disadvantages of any other phoenix team.

And I am going by what Viscant wrote on SRK, the guy who won EVO last year. I know about the down TAC trick. Ideally you want your point character to be able to kill one character with no meter. As you do this you want to build one and a half bars to two. This gives you some nice meter from the him and the second character's death.

Magneto can set up stupid ass 50/50 with great screen control when paired with Doom missiles. Morrigan to be truly dominate needs meter to make her safe via Shadow Servant, use AV for combos and lockdown.

Zero is better as well than Morrigan and Magneto. But if I am going to run a Zero team, just going in full force.

Meter build, meterless damage, mix up ability with one assist, and screen control are important factors of a Phoenix team.

But if I am going to run a Zero team, just going in full force.

Why? Better damage and resets? Cover a weakness? Phoenix shuts down people's gameplan just by being there. If you get rid of the drawbacks, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use her. It's not like Doom is the only character with crazy TACs. I mean, I probably wouldn't rely on Iron Man or MODOK, but hey.

Dahbomb

LOL Phoenix meta game...

Just put Vergil in the back and save resources for him.

Anyway I agree that zero is the best partner for Phoenix. Doom too as a support character.

Cause I like using lightning loops and watching opponent shake there heads and just look.

This is how it works:

mixup with Plasma Beam -> Zero combo into corner -> Sougenmu -> lighning loop until opponent has ~20% health left -> Buster Shot, TAC trick down(which, by the way, is also covered by the clone giving you advantage no matter what) -> Marlinpie Doom combo

Kills opponent, builds ~3 bars

smurfx

get some go again
is this new page going to be dahbomb/god's beard theory talk?

5tINP.jpg

Speaking of Zero, I'm making a 2-page Megaman proof-of-concept comic ^_^

Should be up either tomorrow or the end of the week depending on if I upload the inked or toned version.

True and get that momma's boy character out of this discussion.

SO yeah, I just...... don't know. Guess I like setting up incoming mix ups with a lockdown assist with Zero.

EDIT: Karst, check this vid out. Should give you some ideas for Strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jZGuocr0PCE
Yeah, I saw that tonight. I spent about 4 hours watching Strange videos to understand what he's about. Learned a lot. 1:35 in that video makes me just laugh with insanity. My execution will never be there.

X,Vergil,Y seems to be a good way to build a team. I should just pack it up, and learn him.
It strikes me that Vergil's Spiral Swords doesn't really make sense. Why spend a second bar for an inferior model, AKA Blistering Swords? Blistering Swords should be the hyper, and Spiral Swords should be the shift for an additional bar! :-D

Bizazedo

Just played a set with DJHuoshen on Live player match. I went down 0-10 before throwing in the towel. His team? Vergil/Felicia/Taskmaster. His Vergil was pretty godly to fight, but then he was pretty much doing straight up Rapid Slash on incoming and I wasn't able to block it at all. I don't think I blocked any of his Rapid Slashes. Anyway, that dude has the sword spirals down tight. It was a somewhat laggy connection, but I don't know if he missed it even once. He comboed me so long I started to wonder if Vergil had achieved infinite meter regeneration somehow. I msged him after and said I was sad he wasn't using Skrull.

Yeah, I ran into him too tonight. The lag was atrocious, we both were dropping everything left and right and I took him down with an XF3 Nova. I only played once, though, messaged him sorry and I didn't know why it was lagging so bad and maybe next time it wouldn't (he's in Maryland, I'm in Delaware, we shoulda been fine).

He said it was probably due to his roommate downloading Diablo 3, so, welp.

And yeah, he had the same team. Hard to gauge it so far due to lag, though, but I'm not a fan of Vergil on point.

Online sure. But I think a lot of that just ends up being muscle memory.

Strange, Rocket, Magneto's combos are so beautiful to watch. They go from one loop to another loop to another loop to another loop into a hyper. So fun to watch.

EDIT: Run Morrigan/Vergil/Doom. Let the fun begin. I am serious. Vergil/Hawkeye/Dorm are some of the best partners for the MorriDoom shell.

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah, I ran into him too tonight. The lag was atrocious, we both were dropping everything left and right and I took him down with an XF3 Nova. I only played once, though, messaged him sorry and I didn't know why it was lagging so bad and maybe next time it wouldn't (he's in Maryland, I'm in Delaware, we shoulda been fine).

He said it was probably due to his roommate downloading Diablo 3, so, welp.

And yeah, he had the same team. Hard to gauge it so far due to lag, though, but I'm not a fan of Vergil on point.
yeah lag is one of the reasons i don't really play him often. wish i could play sixfortyfive online since i would like to see some of his hawk/task play but the times i've played him has been lag hell.

smurfx

get some go again
And yet our lag is mostly (mostly) fine, Smurf. People need to pay too much like I do lol.

Or not live in bumblefuck.
some people just have bad connections. i can play people in new york and have a pretty good connection. i've always been lucky to have incredible internet at my place. hell i've had way better connections with tobe than i have huoshen.

mr. puppy

Banned
here's a question: why do people make combo videos that they can't ever perform in tournaments and when they do show up on streams, they get blown up. why don't they spend the time making stupid mixups and showing how they can block them on reaction, and actually win tournies? is it only b/c combo videos have a point score value via damage? (ps i'm drunk)

smurfx

get some go again
here's a question: why do people make combo videos that they can't ever perform in tournaments and when they do show up on streams, they get blown up. why don't they spend the time making stupid mixups and showing how they can block them on reaction, and actually win tournies? is it only b/c combo videos have a point score value via damage? (ps i'm drunk)
some people just like coming up with tech for fighting games. desk is one of these guys that primarily just explores fighting games and sees what he can do. not everybody wants to enter tournaments.

Vice

Flare combos look cooler. Plus, combo videos are the only places where theory fighter matters more than general fighting game skills. Some players are more into that.

The Maziodyne video has a must for Strange users in learning the flame and impact palm loop. Where his damage comes from and the two red explosion is a great way to OTG as well.So yeah everything in that video can be used for combos and practicality.

I learned the Nemesis relaunch from Desk. Most combo videos are purely masturbatory, but there are some where you can actually learn something useful.
And some seem like it's just flashy nonsense, but eventually become a core part of the game.

Remember what the first, like, 3 months of Marvel Dante was like?
LMHS, sj.MMH, qcf.L, s.S, sj.MMH, qcf.H, qcb.L...H, qcf.AA!

That day one Marn combo.

People like Isadelica (sp?) pioneered crazy ass Dante shit on day one, and people thought it was just flashy absurdity that would never see real play. Now some of those crazy combos are his bnbs, and his bnb is changing now to something even more crazy. I remember that when those combos started to see tournament play, people dropped Stinger -> Air Trick and Volcano -> Bee Hive all the damn time. Toward the end of Vanilla, it pretty much never happened, which is why Dante got nerfed.

Now, multiple people are running the crazy Dr. Doom TAC that seems like it lasts for ever.

It's only "combo video only" if it's really specific to a team, less effective than another option, or players are lazy.

The hitbox on Hard Drive is fucking huge. How far back behind Sentinel does it go? I just killed a Captain America who tried to cartwheel behind it and he got swept up.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
To me, "combo video combos" basically consist of one or more of the following:

- inefficient use of resources
- reliance on non-guaranteed game mechanics like TAC (not to say that there isn't legitimate TAC usage)
- starting a combo off of a really awkward hit that either isn't likely to occur in a real match or cannot be reliably hit-confirmed
- usage of assists that are strictly good for combo extension only, which ignores that at least one assist in most team builds will typically be used for space control or defensive options to make the first hit possible in the first place
- require unrealistic execution, such as 60+ consecutive one-frame links in a game that doesn't necessarily have a consistent frame rate

One of my favorite instructional combo videos is this one right here because it demonstrates what can be done solo, off of almost all of her practical starters, from multiple points onscreen, with notes on what should be done against different size characters. Most of those combos are still considerably difficult to do consistently, and I'd prefer to memorize only 2 or so combos that can be interchanged between multiple starters rather than memorizing very specific combos for each and every one, but there's nothing in that video I'd say is "impractical."

Tizoc

Online sure. But I think a lot of that just ends up being muscle memory.

Strange, Rocket, Magneto's combos are so beautiful to watch. They go from one loop to another loop to another loop to another loop into a hyper. So fun to watch.

EDIT: Run Morrigan/Vergil/Doom. Let the fun begin. I am serious. Vergil/Hawkeye/Dorm are some of the best partners for the MorriDoom shell.

Say could you provide the full image of your avatar please?

The hitbox on Hard Drive is fucking huge. How far back behind Sentinel does it go? I just killed a Captain America who tried to cartwheel behind it and he got swept up.
I'll say this: it's big enough that if I Mass Change M as Sentinel comes in and uses Hard Drive, I get caught. It's not big enough that if I Mass Change M as he's mid-flight that I will get caught up.

I cannot believe I just lost to someone spamming Mighty Strike.

:|
If you wanted to feel better about yourself, I was playing yesterday! Your chance, it is gone!

To me, "combo video combos" basically consist of one or more of the following:

- inefficient use of resources
- reliance on non-guaranteed game mechanics like TAC (not to say that there isn't legitimate TAC usage)
- starting a combo off of a really awkward hit that either isn't likely to occur in a real match or cannot be reliably hit-confirmed
- usage of assists that are strictly good for combo extension only, which ignores that at least one assist in most team builds will typically be used for space control or defensive options to make the first hit possible in the first place
- require unrealistic execution, such as 60+ consecutive one-frame links in a game that doesn't necessarily have a consistent frame rate
I bolded the one thing that bothers me in any video. When you start a Dormammu combo for your video with j.S, c.LH, that's fine. When you play Phoenix and you start the combo with j.H, j.f+H, j.d+H, and then talk about how much damage it does, it's just annoying.

Woot, got him in the runback. What was it that Degen always said?

Team Armor, something something? I don't remember.
Team Armor. Is Degen banned or something? I should add him to my PSN friends list, because he and I have a really good connection.

Say could you provide the full image of your avatar please?
Crimson always has the cool avatars that make people wonder (myself included).

Edit: Amusing Morrigan "tech":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-PXbl-vwVr0#!

Azure J

What's the timing on hitting people with Grapple after a Stinger Lvl. 2? I swear this sequence is going to be the death of me with regards to 2 shots of Cold Shower into Stinger Lvl. 2 into Grapple instead of Jam Session but I want to learn some resets I can abuse regularly now.

I'll probably ask on SRK as well, but you guys are good for advice too. :)

LakeEarth

If you need an anchor, Arthur is the best choice besides Magneto out of the horizontal projectile characters. Or Akuma as well. Akuma is pretty much one of the best assists with tatsu.

But Magneto you have to spend time learning his combos. Akuma, you can derp it with. Arthur just laughs and destroys team if they already use XF.

SmokeMaxX

can anyone recommend an anchor for cap/spencer/? im using sentinel now, but i feel like learning someone new.

Doom/Akuma/Sentinel are by far Captain's best neutral assists. Iron man's okay. Spencer is good for extension/mixups. Almost anyone else with a projectile assist can work, but not ideally like the ones listed previously.

Bizazedo

Seeing more and more Vergils online. Usually at point, which I kind of enjoy considering it's almost a free kill with just one meter and allows me to save up meter for the rest of their team, but damn he can swing high. Have to really watch it.

Is he really best at point, though? It strikes me as he'd be better second or final (but then he can be mixed up and easily slain on entry, I guess).

Dahbomb

Seeing more and more Vergils online. Usually at point, which I kind of enjoy considering it's almost a free kill with just one meter and allows me to save up meter for the rest of their team, but damn he can swing high. Have to really watch it.

Is he really best at point, though? It strikes me as he'd be better second or final (but then he can be mixed up and easily slain on entry, I guess).
You can play him at any spot, each spot comes with it's own pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom