• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but play him on a Morrigan/Doom shell. That shit is stupid. Point with Morrigan going build meter as he does swords and allows him to maintain DT after a certain threshold.

Dahbomb

Guys I am going to be going in hardcore with Diablo 3 starting tomorrow. Will still hang around this thread for a bit but not as much.

SmokeMaxX

If you need an anchor, Arthur is the best choice besides Magneto out of the horizontal projectile characters. Or Akuma as well. Akuma is pretty much one of the best assists with tatsu.

But Magneto you have to spend time learning his combos. Akuma, you can derp it with. Arthur just laughs and destroys team if they already use XF.

Magneto beam doesn't work well with Captain. You can't do a backflip mixup and convert off of it. The best you can do is call assist, 1st hit of shield slash, EMD, 2nd hit of shield slash, convert but you can already do this without EMD. The beam's also too fast (and knocks down) to leave you safe if you do assist, charging star like Doom beam/Iron Man beam. If you want Captain/Magneto you're better off using hypergrav assist (which doesn't make sense because he already has spencer) but then you'd still need a neutral assist.

Azure J

Continuing with my exploration of Dante's tools, I kinda created a truncated version of his standard BnB using Drive. For those of you who don't get Bold Cancel Teleports but can Bold Cancel moves, try this:

M - H - Stinger - BC Volcano - j.H - Air Play - j.H - H - S - Up Shots (just two or so) - Prop Shredder - Jump Cancel Teleport (Down Down Up + S during last few frames of Prop Shredder) - Hammer - Cold Shower - Stinger - BC Drive xx Million Dollars. Delay the cancel a little to hit for max damage.

This is probably old news, but I'm happy to have something to rely on when I'm not confident in my teleports. Also, if you're Devil Trigger'd, try Bold Cancelling into Fly after that Stinger then immediately follow it with Vortex. I want to swag that extension out a little and see what kinda damage I can get going off it.

My final investigation is with Twister - Tempest. If you delay the input for Tempest until the character is juggled at the top of the blazes for both moves, you can combo right into a Level 3 from anywhere on screen. I don't think it works mid combo though. It's weird, there's a knockdown property on Tempest if they get ejected from the very top when you do it raw, but mid combo, they flip out.

Edit:

This multilock tech is fucking stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid. Infinitely cancelling Volcanoes into TK Multilocks? Safe launchers? And right now, I'm playing with the move and getting empty Up Shots. Zoning the upper right hand part of the screen is ridiculous even if its a bit situational at best and fickle at worst to set up.

Seeing more and more Vergils online. Usually at point, which I kind of enjoy considering it's almost a free kill with just one meter and allows me to save up meter for the rest of their team, but damn he can swing high. Have to really watch it.

Is he really best at point, though? It strikes me as he'd be better second or final (but then he can be mixed up and easily slain on entry, I guess).
Vergil goes anywhere. Just like the other goddamn trenchcoats.

Guys I am going to be going in hardcore with Diablo 3 starting tomorrow. Will still hang around this thread for a bit but not as much.
The only way I could possibly be interested in that game is if they brought Hydra back.

These were the good ol' days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVGEPa7FZLY

Except I had level 32 Static Field, and a Necromancer partner that put Lower Resist on everything. Everything went down so fast...then Blizzard nerfed Hydra and made it completely pointless, like they always do. +220% cast rate, plus I wasn't ass at the game like the guy in this video. Fun is literally ban-worthy for Blizzard these days, though.

Back when I had time to play a game on Hardcore mode...

Edit: And by the looks of things, D3 is yet another successful "Blizzard launch", meaning half of the people who bought it can't play because of server failures. Has this ever not happened for a Blizzard game?

Dahbomb

By the way I am not actually going to be playing Hardcore mode in Diablo 3 (too hardcore even for me these days). I just meant that I am going to be playing it a lot.

Also they might bring back the old classes or some new similar ones in the eventual expansions to the game (they are coming obviously.. it's Blizzard). I want my Assassin back!

By the way I am not actually going to be playing Hardcore mode in Diablo 3 (too hardcore even for me these days). I just meant that I am going to be playing it a lot.

Also they might bring back the old classes or some new similar ones in the eventual expansions to the game (they are coming obviously.. it's Blizzard). I want my Assassin back!
The Assassin was pretty poorly executed. The whole charge system was just terrible. I'm sure more classes will come in future expansions, but that's not my concern. Blizzard just doesn't know how to balance anything that isn't an RTS. Diablo II and WoW were always pure garbage when it came to character balance.

Edit: I figured you wouldn't be playing Hardcore mode. That's for kids who get to have whole summers off raging as their level 60 Sorceress dies because the server lagged and a bunch of mobs teleported onto me...er, them. >.>

Hardcore was actually pathetically easy once LoD came out, and Baal wasn't even fun compared to Diablo. Lord De Seis could strike fear into anyone's heart.

Dahbomb

The Assassin was pretty poorly executed. The whole charge system was just terrible. I'm sure more classes will come in future expansions, but that's not my concern. Blizzard just doesn't know how to balance anything that isn't an RTS. Diablo II and WoW were always pure garbage when it came to character balance.
LOL @ "balance" in Diablo. Assassin was a fun class and I had fun with the different charges and unleashing them. Considering that I mostly played PvE in Diablo 2 it mattered more to me whether a class was fun. Although really all classes were fun (except Paladin which was my first one and really hampered my single player experience) and I found Assassin the most fun.

I am probably either going to play Monk or Demon Hunter in D3.

Dahbomb

If MarlinPie rewrites the New Testament... does that make him... God of Marvel?

Anyway I am not "leaving" Marvel, I will always be in here to chime in on the meta game, help people out if they need it and watch tournaments. Actual play time is pretty much 0 for Marvel anyways since I don't even have a console, just a nice PC which is going to be playing Diablo 3 in about 5 hours or so.

Tirael

Edit: And by the looks of things, D3 is yet another successful "Blizzard launch", meaning half of the people who bought it can't play because of server failures. Has this ever not happened for a Blizzard game?

The most stupid thing about it is that even people that just want to play purely PvE and not have any interaction with anyone else ALSO couldn't play at launch.

I've done this with Hawkeye before. I guess it's character and screen dependent since I had to be in the corner with the other Hawkeye.
Likely so.

LOL @ "balance" in Diablo. Assassin was a fun class and I had fun with the different charges and unleashing them. Considering that I mostly played PvE in Diablo 2 it mattered more to me whether a class was fun. Although really all classes were fun (except Paladin which was my first one and really hampered my single player experience) and I found Assassin the most fun.

I am probably either going to play Monk or Demon Hunter in D3.
I'm not talking about PvP balance, I'm talking about PvE. Every patch Blizzard would destroy some PvE builds and create new ones that were really good, and it annoyed the hell out of me. Then they upped monster immunities so Sorceresses were just fucked in general unless they were cold-based. Unless you were a Hammerdin, and then the whole world was your cookie. It stopped being fun because I couldn't play what I wanted to play. I got my Necromancer to 77 in Hardcore and stopped because it was just mindless grinding at that point - nothing was going to kill me and my 40+ minions running around. If you just played "fun" builds, then I can only assume that you weren't soloing through Hell Difficulty, because that took planning. You can pretty much throw anything out there and win on Normal. I even beat the game as a dedicated Blaze Sorceress.

The PvP was another level of borked. Burizons and Whirlwind Barbarians everywhere. Necromancers could only barely participate in PvP. I didn't care too much about that, though. Though I did lose 2 character to Harcore PvP, and I killed dozens. If you want to know intensity, it's PvP with 3 months of playing on the line.

If MarlinPie rewrites the New Testament... does that make him... God of Marvel?

Anyway I am not "leaving" Marvel, I will always be in here to chime in on the meta game, help people out if they need it and watch tournaments. Actual play time is pretty much 0 for Marvel anyways since I don't even have a console, just a nice PC which is going to be playing Diablo 3 in about 5 hours or so.
You can leave Marvel, but Marvel never leaves you.

The most stupid thing about it is that even people that just want to play purely PvE and not have any interaction with anyone else ALSO couldn't play at launch.
I saw that. Absolutely absurd. I remember when Diablo II came out their excuse was "we didn't expect this many people to buy it on release night". I believed them because I was like 14, and sure, why not? Then they used it again for World of Warcraft, and every single World of Warcraft expansion...

Grecco

Blegh been trying to get back to Zero and its just so ridiculous how the difficulty/damage curve goes up vs Spencer. Spencers TOD combos are brain dead. Zero is actually difficult to use effectively.

smurfx

get some go again
Blegh been trying to get back to Zero and its just so ridiculous how the difficulty/damage curve goes up vs Spencer. Spencers TOD combos are brain dead. Zero is actually difficult to use effectively.
i still don't know why spencer can pick your ass back up after doing his hypers. if capcom is going to do that then give all the characters an option to hyper you again as easily as it is with spencer. not only does he get that but he also gets unscaled damage and he got buffed in ultimate!

Bizazedo

Had a guy ragequit on me tonight because I kept snapping his X-23 in. He kept trying to treat her like Phoenix and keep her in the back / run away and hard tag.

Nope, back in y'come. Was absolutely hilarious.

i still don't know why spencer can pick your ass back up after doing his hypers. if capcom is going to do that then give all the characters an option to hyper you again as easily as it is with spencer. not only does he get that but he also gets unscaled damage and he got buffed in ultimate!

And he has over a million health!

Dear Niitsuma

Fuck you for letting Dante be able to cancel air S into Hammer. I hope you never make a videogame ever again.

Signed, Fuck You.
I'm pretty sure that was NeoG playing favorites. I believe they've been quoted several times on the subject of DMC characters getting special attention.

That's small fries compared to his old hammer and the stupid hitboxes on the twin sword normals.

smurfx

get some go again
Dear Niitsuma

Fuck you for letting Dante be able to cancel air S into Hammer. I hope you never make a videogame ever again.

Signed, Fuck You.
Neo G to everybody.

1kMLO.gif

smurfx

get some go again
gg's sixfortyfive. forgot how insane felicias throw range was. she even managed to throw haggar out of his drop kick! that's like all hitbox too. 0_o

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's impossible to do real combos with her online though. Normally I should be getting anywhere from 725-825k for one bar depending on what I start with.

I'm looking into a new ISP but am waiting to hear back from a friend of mine on his experience with them before I make the switch. Our connection tonight is about as good as I can reliably expect out of my current provider and it's just not good enough.

smurfx

get some go again
i remember getting like 3 bars the last time i played you and today was 5. much better than past experiences for sure.

mr. puppy

Banned
just curious, and maybe this isn't me, but does anybody else not play dante b/c his comboes are relatively difficult to do and over time the character just wears your hands down quicker? like i can do a combo with spencer with far less effort, which does far more damage, and not wear myself out over a long time period.

Bizazedo

just curious, and maybe this isn't me, but does anybody else not play dante b/c his comboes are relatively difficult to do and over time the character just wears your hands down quicker? like i can do a combo with spencer with far less effort, which does far more damage, and not wear myself out over a long time period.

I don't play Ironman for this reason, but Dante doesn't seem that bad. I played him in vanilla and the changes they made to make him easier to play in Ultimate is really kind of ridiculous. I actually think some of Zero's stuff is harder.

I'd still use him if I didn't enjoy damage and Nova.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wrote off Dante the moment I heard he had 40+ moves. I expected that you wouldn't even have to use half of them to play him effectively, but I don't like using characters I don't think I can "maximize."

Dear Niitsuma

Signed, Fuck You.

yo ggs last night. took me like 10 matches to get warmed up, but by then you were probably not trying as hard :/ is that your main team?

i need to learn higher damaging combos and play this game more often though. i'm still on that day 1 vanilla combo tech.

Azure J

Dear Niitsuma

Signed, Fuck You.

I'm pretty sure that was NeoG playing favorites. I believe they've been quoted several times on the subject of DMC characters getting special attention.

That's small fries compared to his old hammer and the stupid hitboxes on the twin sword normals.

I really wish if more of the roster was balanced or designed around the same flexibility he has just so that I don't feel bad playing him while reading things like this. :lol

not execution. i dont have a problem with dante combos. its the fact that they are tiring as hell.

The only thing really tiring about Dante for me is when you drop something simple like Cold Shower (literally mash df.H) and have to begin the neutral game again to re-engage. It's like my mind gets tired, I get a little antsy and that affects the effectiveness of the character for me.

I wrote off Dante the moment I heard he had 40+ moves. I expected that you wouldn't even have to use half of them to play him effectively, but I don't like using characters I don't think I can "maximize."

We're complete opposites in this regard. I knew I was playing Dante no matter what when he was revealed, but hearing about the 40 moves thing made me determined to find applications for all of them, hence my most recent bit of screwing around in training mode.

This shouldn't be surprising though from someone who so heavily advocated for Megaman (X) to get in. I love me my Jacks of All Trades.

JeTmAn81

Started playing around with Hulk teams again. My old configuration (cribbed from Option Select's Sinister) of Hulk/Deadpool/Doctor Doom is even better in Ultimate, and I switched to missiles to help Hulk fight the more annoying zoning threats. I figured out that you can actually get a relaunch from the missiles as well off a s.H combo starter (s.H, launch, H, S to slam them down, zip over with a Gamma Charge, missiles hit, s.M into Gamma Punch into launch again), making me wonder if I really need Deadpool's OTG on that team. However, if Hulk dies it becomes an excellent zoning team with Deadpool plus missiles. I like playing it in all red.

I did some player matches with that team on PSN but they were all pretty laggy. However, I had to laugh at this one moment where Wesker Phantom Danced against Doom who promptly foot dived, the hits traded, and of course Doom has time to stand up and get a combo. And then it happened again. Ah, Doom.

I wrote off Dante the moment I heard he had 40+ moves.

This is the reason I wanted to play Dante. "Sooo many moves!" just delights the little kid in me.

One other thing about Dante's j.S cancelled into various moves. If he didn't have that, he'd be pretty screwed as far as defense goes. The startup on most of his moves is so high he has real trouble keeping insane rushdown characters off him. Using the range on that j.S is one of the few things that keeps him from being everybody's punching bag. And it's not like the Hammer is a perfectly safe tool either. I get hit out of it quite frequently, and if it whiffs you're in trouble.

LakeEarth

I didn't play Dante long enough, so my muscle memory didn't set in. I took him out of my team for a month, and when I tried him again I forgot how to do all my combos.

Anyone know of any easy Spencer combos to start out with?

If you get them into a corner, finish your combo with otg air to ground grapple, wait a second, then down wire into armor piercer into your hyper of choice. Barely any timing involved.

You should get up-grapple into your combos eventually. Spencer is pretty braindead, but your position relative to the stage really matters for your combos.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Alright this is what I got from like 10 mins of training mode.

In the corner

LMHS-MMH Zip Line S-Air Wire Grapple H S Zipline Zipline Ground Wire Grapple H- Bionic Maneuvers

Anything midscreen? And is there anything more I can do for damage in the corner?

I got like 680k so far.

In the corner

LMHS-MMH Zip Line S-Air Wire Grapple H S Zipline Zipline Ground Wire Grapple H- Bionic Maneuvers

Anything midscreen? And is there anything more I can do for damage in the corner?

I got like 680k so far.

by no means am i a very good marvel player but an easy 2-meter corner combo i learned was:

lmhs-air mmhs-bionic bomber (before landing)-bionic maneuvers-otg grapple H-air S right before you hit the ground-up grapple then L-bionic maneuvers-otg H

does like 910k. i use spencer second so he usually has 2-3 meters before i can connect with a corner combo.

i believe you can get the opponent into the corner from a midscreen combo:
lmhs-mhs-otg grapple M-diagonal down forward zipline-air S-S relaunch-mmhs-zipline towards corner x3-S- bionic bomber-bionic arm

edit: forgot to proofread the combos before submitting. fixed some stuff.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
by no means am i a very good marvel player but an easy 2-meter corner combo i learned was:

lmhs-air mmhs-bionic bomber (before landing)-bionic maneuvers-otg grapple H-air S right before you hit the ground-up grapple then L-bionic maneuvers-otg H

does like 910k. i use spencer second so he usually has 2-3 meters before i can connect with a corner combo.

i believe you can get the opponent into the corner from a midscreen combo:
lmhs-mhs-otg grapple M-diagonal down forward zipline-air S-S relaunch-mmhs-zipline towards corner x3-S- bionic bomber-bionic arm

edit: forgot to proofread the combos before submitting. fixed some stuff.

Thanks!

That first one was really easy. I got like 893k from it but that's still great.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

In the corner

I got like 680k so far.
After the initial S whipping them back to the ground, if your in the corner you can get a QCF+S in as your falling (not TKed), to get another launch (after the bomber you can MHS and do MHS in the air) or up grapple or what have you. Which from there you can OTG ground grapple, and complete the combo.

I don't really understand how people do the up grapples though, don't get the trick to it.

EDIT: Major derp, didn't see the better post up there.

JeTmAn81

Smurfx with dat S-tier complaining. Spencer only has two hypers, and neither of them is a level 3. Doesn't it make sense for him to be able to pull off more than one in a combo if he's got the meter?

Thanks!

That first one was really easy. I got like 893k from it but that's still great.

no prob. that's not even an optimal combo for him in the corner, which just kind of shows how little time i've put into this game.

i plan on hitting the lab soon with cap/spencer to learn better combos/mixups. there are a bunch of tutorials now for spencer but i really liked this day 1 combo vid i saw from japan that seemed to fit my execution level (really bad) better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom