• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My execution is ass, and has only become moreso since I switched to stick. But I'm finding things here and there much easier with the stick.

Never really attempted flight combos again until today and they're.. surprisingly easy to link Don't think I'm confident enough to try them in matches yet as they're made on the spot and probably garbage in terms of efficiency. I think it's just my execution slowly improving.

With Nova/Iron Man/Akuma, what Nova assist should I be running? Not familiar with the utility of any of them and I'm just using Centurion Rush M as a go-to.
I'd say give the Gravimetric Pulse H assist a shot for Iron Man zoning. My only negative thought about Centurion Rush M is that Akuma already has an overhead, and you'd be using up his ground bounce.

Dorm I just try to stay on flame carpet. And chicken block into dark hole and respect his range. It still is stupid. But Chicken blocking into a dark hole or purification is funny.
Unless you're superjumping with Dormammu to block the Helm Breaker, there's no way in hell that you have more than 20 frames of frame advantage from chicken blocking it. Maybe your opponent(s) just don't know what the hell they're doing, like how they let you end Dr. Strange blockstrings into Eye of Agamotto...

I have been punished by Spencer's normals after having Helm Breaker chicken blocked. He doesn't have the fastest normals around so my guess is that anyone with around 5-6 frame jabs can punish a Helm Breaker after chicken blocking.
Spencer can dash-cancel his normals. :p It's less about the punishment and more about having the spacing to do it for me. I really hate relying on Dormammu's s.L, it's so goddamn finicky.

smurfx

get some go again
lol just got a message complaining about me playing keep away with my keep away team and not rushing down his wolverine and hulk team. oh and yeah this guy was spamming hulks moves and wolverines dive kicks and berserker slash. -_-

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'd say give the Gravimetric Pulse H assist a shot for Iron Man zoning. My only negative thought about Centurion Rush M is that Akuma already has an overhead, and you'd be using up his ground bounce.

Centurion Rush M doesn't use up your ground bounce (I think).

lol just got a message complaining about me playing keep away with my keep away team and not rushing down his wolverine and hulk team. oh and yeah this guy was spamming hulks moves and wolverines dive kicks and berserker slash. -_-

I played that team the first week of Vaniller.

Tirael

Dude, kudos for having a good keepaway team, rushing down in this game is so freakin potent. Also rushdown teams have an advantage on zoning teams anyway: one clean hit and they can do whatever they want, but with a keepaway team, your opponent has to make several mistakes (or you several really good decisions) in order for it to count. I learned that with my new team. Hawkeye backed with Task's arrows taught me so much about zoning today.

Edit: Rush down Hulk? In what universe is that a good idea?

smurfx

get some go again
having haggar is a good equalizer though. smart teams think twice before mindlessly rushing down if they know i have lariat assist. i don't know who you have backing up team arrow but i love having a nice get off me assist.

I have used it before. But I stay on flame carpet. And most Vergil players don't know what they are doing. So I just role with it.

But has anyone tried using TK dark hole and purification with Dorm for quick combo extension and better zoning?

Dahbomb

Centurion Rush M causes a forced ground bounce. It will still work if you used up a ground bounce previously.

Gravimetric Pulse would go decent with IM. You can also experiment with the 3rd assist.

I've done it with Dante if my chicken block was pretty low to the ground. I think anyone can do it if they blocked low enough.
Well there you have it then... if Dante with his slow ass 8 frame jab can punish it then most other characters should be able to do it as well.

Frantic

Granted. His DHC except for lvl 3 is garbage. But, the way you fight, you hardly ever DHC'd anyways, it's not like Vergil's is much different, and he'd be so easy to use Vajra with after one of his combos for a reset. That plus the higher HP..I just think it'd make your team even better.

Not by much, maybe, because Vergil is also awesome, but...I dunno :). Just like theorizing.
Well, Devil Trigger > Devil Trigger/Spiral Swords is a safe and useful DHC that Wesker lacks. Plus, Million Dollars > Spiral Swords is useful against high health characters like Taskmaster, Haggar, Hulk, etc.

Plus... I don't really enjoy playing Wesker. He's fun when I'm just messing around with troll teams, but I don't really like playing him seriously. It's why I dropped him in the first place. *shrug*

Anth0ny

LOL...

This team has become like the de-facto Phoenix team among pros. And it's not even THAT godly.

How isn't it that godly? Great point character, great assist, Mags/Doom build meter like crazy (one TAC and you've pretty much got 5 bars), and neither require meter to do good damage. If Phoenix get taken out, you have xfactor level 3 Magneto with probably a bunch of meter. Champ looks fucking unstoppable when playing it. What Phoenix teams are better?

I expect paragraphs on paragraphs, Dahbomb :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
OMG I DID AN IRON MAN FLIGHT MODE COMBO

ibyvfQ9bRnBI79.gif

Team Update:
Loving Dr. Strange/Dormammu/Morrigan.

I've figured a way for Dr. Strange to get full combos off of a ground throw, which I think is a pretty nice deal. I'm just sticking to jump loops for now, for some reason I can't get FotF loops to work at all for me. A minor detail, though. I haven't watched maziodyne's tutorial.

What I'm actually stuck on is Dormammu's ideal assist. I generally frown on Purification, but calling it while Dr. Strange superjumps back to get some Graces out seems like a pretty nifty idea, and would protect Strange from having to worry about characters superjumping after him. Though I wonder if Purification realistically would ever make it onto the screen against the kinds of opponents I'm worried about.

I still mix up the inputs for all his projectiles - there are just so damn many, and Daggers of Denak feels like a qcb kind of projectile instead of a qcf one. I've been working on following up on Impact Palm to 2x Grace of Hoggoth M explosion, Mystic Sword L, jump loop, but I miss my first j.M like 80% of the time. No clue what I'm doing wrong there, but I feel like my opponent is getting too far from me a lot of the time. I can just launch straight out of it, but that doesn't seem optimal.

Edit: I watched this and noticed that maziodyne does an Impact Palm after the explosion, which I was not doing. I was linking into Mystic Sword L right away - maybe that will fix my problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZMHYQduGfA&list=UUr7SS5vhe0nTrr8-QBTuVvQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Centurion Rush M doesn't use up your ground bounce (I think).
Ah, you are correct IIRC as well.

Dude, kudos for having a good keepaway team, rushing down in this game is so freakin potent. Also rushdown teams have an advantage on zoning teams anyway: one clean hit and they can do whatever they want, but with a keepaway team, your opponent has to make several mistakes (or you several really good decisions) in order for it to count. I learned that with my new team. Hawkeye backed with Task's arrows taught me so much about zoning today.

Edit: Rush down Hulk? In what universe is that a good idea?
Rushing down Hulk is a great idea, you just need to pick your moment to start the beatdown. Kind of like Sentinel or Haggar. You don't rush them in the way you rush, say, Wolverine, but once you get on them you tend to stay there if you know what you're doing.

Generally, I think a dedicated keepaway team is just a bad idea. You should always have a rushdown backup plan. There is no keepaway character in this game that doesn't have another keepaway team as his/her weakness.

But has anyone tried using TK dark hole and purification with Dorm for quick combo extension and better zoning?
Nope. I let others figure out combos - I care more about team synergy.

Well there you have it then... if Dante with his slow ass 8 frame jab can punish it then most other characters should be able to do it as well.
If my 7 frame jab covered a third of the screen, I'd agree with you.

shaowebb

Saw something cool today for art using eggshaped geometry and I'm off till wednesday between semesters so I had to try it. I started working after my last post and roughed out this image of Iron Fist.

MANLY PICTURE TIME!
OZxLi.jpg

I'm going to keep practicing the geometry setup I used in this image as I really liked its poseability and the way it handles skull layout better than the pile I showed last time. Can't wait till after October when i'll have free time to do these things a lot more. Then I'll try to post some team sketches for UMVC3.
Now if only Iron Fist wasn't so filled with problems...

Enzo be prepared because I fucking love practicing Iron Man armor sections in my free time.

Tirael

Generally, I think a dedicated keepaway team is just a bad idea. You should always have a rushdown backup plan. There is no keepaway character in this game that doesn't have another keepaway team as his/her weakness.

I think you are very right, which is why some "zoning" characters have rushdown options. Hawkeye's slide is gdlk, and can be cancelled into his special jumps. I dunno if Taskmaster is a "zoning" character, but he does have some very good options. Regardless, sword normals and SHIELD SKILLS help a bunch with rushdown.

Dahbomb

Similarly... I would say that having a dedicated all rushdown team in this game is terrible too.

A team of Wolverine/Jill/X-23 is fucking terrible as it should be. I mean it's playable but a few characters can own these 3 characters for free like Haggar, Hulk or Zero. That's why you aren't going to see a team like this in Ultimate unless it's some newcomer online team.

The best characters in this game are the ones who can do both. Only real exception I have seen is Spencer on a stacked team and usually his partners are also capable of zoning/spacing themselves (Vergil can space the screen with normals and Round Trip which allows him to keep a lot of rushdown tactics at bay). No matter what people say about Wolverine or Felicia, they both need help getting in and they still have some bad match ups that they can't do anything about other than out playing the opponent.

Also FChamp hosting Salty Suites at EVO this year. Says he will be playing MarlinPie in a FT15 high stakes money match there along with other yet to be announced matches. Can't wait for that... FChamp wants that runback so bad it hurts. Also there will be a high stakes tournament within it too (I am guessing only the top players at the suite will be in so it will be like a godlike Curley Mustache thing).

And LMAO @ FChamp keeping it real with Mike Ross and putting him on blast. Finally Mike Ross gets roasted for not putting in the time and effort in his games.

Grecco

. Also there will be a high stakes tournament within it too (I am guessing only the top players at the suite will be in so it will be like a godlike Curley Mustache thing).

I think they let anybody sign up because its 100 bucks a pop. (Curley Mustache is 25 dollars a head) At least thats how it was in the 2010 salty suite. I think.

Bizazedo

I shook some rust off VF5 last night in preparation of winning Sega's side tourney at Evo this year and two things that relate to Marvel hit me.

The netcode is amazing for VF5. I'd say it's better than SC5.

Despite no lobbies, inability to change characters online without backing out to the menu and having to set two separate control schemes depending on if I was on the 1P or 2P side, the silly thing had replays. Back then!

And then I look at Marvel and cry.

(That and VF5 is the best fighter and Final Showdown will own my soul).

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GGs Karst!

From that session I learned

1) I actually like using Nova now
2) My Spencer is hot garbage, but a day old so I'm not too disappointed
3) Fuck you Dorm
4) Chuck Energy Javelins as part of an incoming mixup
5) This team has mixups out the ass

In Combofiend's old team I trust.

GGs Karst!

From that session I learned

1) I actually like using Nova now
2) My Spencer is hot garbage, but a day old so I'm not too disappointed
3) Fuck you Dorm
4) Chuck Energy Javelins as part of an incoming mixup
5) This team has mixups out the ass

In Combofiend's old team I trust.
I really don't know how to handle Nova. You could probably tell when you would do his j.S from half-screen, I would block it sometimes, and just keep blocking. Oi. The Nova mix-ups you would do I honestly kept forgetting were resets, so I'd just sit there and not block it most of the time because it looks like a combo extension - hahaha.

Also, do me a favor in the future and join the chat channel and give me a 1-game warning if you're leaving.

Let's see, what did I learn?
1) I need to practice Morrigan's Soul Fist cancels more. My poor execution cost me a few fights against Hawkeye.

2) My Dr. Strange is so bad. It reminds me of when I used to put Sentinel on point, switched to Phoenix, and did a heck of a lot better. I'm not sure if it's me or the character, but I just can't create any space or do anything unless I get lucky. I played a guy after you and actually (somehow) OCVed him with Dr. Strange once, but I know it was all just luck. It feels like he can't do anything in the air that actually leads to something (even a safe blockstring), and then on the ground the pressure is just too much against him to get anything out there.

3) Illusion is among the shittiest abilities in this game. If I use it to try and counter anything, the opponent just auto-corrects and kills me anyway. Why is this in the game?!

4) TKed Daggers of Denak L is pretty good, not great.

5) I am once again without a team, I think. :-(

GGs.

Found some neat new synergy between Morrigan and Dormammu. I haven't fully explored it, but Chaotic Flame -> Astral Vision gives Morrigan time to link a Soul Fist H, fly, Soul Fist H in corners.

Does anyone know of a sweet Veil of Mist -> Astral Vision setup that leads to a long Soul Drain combo?

Dahbomb

If I ever play umvc3, how would you guys feel of me using Dante/Vergil/Trish as my team? Would it work?
IMO Vergil (Rapid Slash) /Dante (Crystal OTG) /Trish (Low Voltage) to maximize Vergil.

Trish/Dante/Vergil to maximize Trish. Dante/Trish/Vergil to maximize Dante.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Beardo's playing online again?

edit- GGs GB!

I suck vs. phoenix, I account all of my wins on blind luck. I was playing like a complete dope.

Uh you should use xfactor with Dark Phoenix, it really helps.

GGs, sorry about the lag but I had fun playing some old teams :)

I can't hit confirm for shit with magneto online :-( combo drops if I try to do dash cancels at the normal speed...

I love tridash battles against nova!

I fucking hate hawkeye!

My Dormammu is so ass lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You actually did manage to hit a Magneto combo once which is more than you were able to do last time I played you online.

Is Magneto/Sent/RR your main chicken now?

Beardo's playing online again?

edit- GGs GB!

I suck vs. phoenix, I account all of my wins on blind luck. I was playing like a complete dope.

Uh you should use xfactor with Dark Phoenix, it really helps.
This was me recently:
1) Play against Dark Phoenix.
2) Be happy that I have Dr. Strange, and think "should be an easy win with the projectile counter!"
3) Die on the incoming mixup.
4) ****!

I'm not giving up yet on Dr. Strange. I'm in this really weird situation where if I want to use Dormammu/Morrigan or Dormammu/Firebrand, I have to use a third character I hate. Really trying to avoid that. I do love all that Dormammu/Firebrand synergy, though Morrigan is better for Dormammu and I actually like using her. I wouldn't mind putting Morrigan on point, and I may give it a shot. I just wish I had an easy way to combo into Soul Drain. I wish all of Morrigan's THCs were Shadow Servant, grr.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about xfactor cause I was so used to trying the infinite with vanilla phoenix. Stop running away :-(

You actually did manage to hit a Magneto combo once which is more than you were able to do last time I played you online.

Is Magneto/Sent/RR your main chicken now?

Yeah, the only reason I was playing Magneto/Doom/Phoenix without swapping is because I REALLY wanted to try to do a doom TAC combo online but I kept dropping the Magneto part :/

Nah that's just a team I made up a couple months ago and never wound up using, I actually don't know a single combo with RR yet. I just tried to copy the vague memory of kusoru's movement with towards H into traps lol

I do want to play Magneto/Sent/RR, Magneto is pretty obviously the only competent character I have(cept phoenix) and it's a waste to anchor him on all my teams. I like Spencer and get a lot of stupid wins with him, but I'm so ass at midscreen stuff with him.

FSLink

Banned
Soooo many rage quits on the Vita version, there doesn't seem to even be a check for this sort of thing on this version, haha.

Nert

Soooo many rage quits on the Vita version, there doesn't seem to even be a check for this sort of thing on this version, haha.

Yeah, it's really, really bad on the Vita version. I've faced countless players with 50+ win streaks (usually using Wesker and Vergil) that will immediately disconnect when their last character dies. If my PS3 hadn't broken down a while ago, I would have given up on playing ranked matches on Vita entirely.

The chances of getting a patch for this issue are non-existent, of course : /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom