• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck theory fighting, I'm tired of whoring around so many teams that I'm never comfortable with my characters :-(

Spencer/Wesker/Magneto
Magneto/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon
Spencer/Magneto/Phoenix

From now on it's only characters I have fun with :)

I'm not going to argue any more, just ban me or something if I start up again.

Grecco

Fuck theory fighting, I'm tired of whoring around so many teams that I'm never comfortable with my characters :-(

Spencer/Wesker/Magneto
Spencer/Magneto/Phoenix

Your Spencer/Wesker/Mags team is the closest to what will probably be my main team.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think that last team might be your best.

Second one is good too so long as you learn RR.

I remember before I used Nova's box dash and went right over the log trap and hit Sent, it was hilarious

Oh, I'm not even gonna worry about which is the best team, I'm just going to pick characters I like and play them in teams that make sense. I feel like I understand the engine well enough that spending any time thinking instead of playing isn't going to help me become a better player. And ultimately, that's what I want. To not suck.

I remember before I used Nova's box dash and went right over the log trap and hit Sent, it was hilarious

Yeah, I was fucking up. I'm only supposed to call rocket while I'm doing fly jH unfly jM, so that shouldn't normally be something I need to worry about.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man, I wish Magnetic blasts were overheads. I never really bothered with them before, but box-dash M.Blasts are the bee's kneez.

I tried the Empire loop. Got that shit a couple of times. Most of them were spent hitting accidental TACs though. >:|

that is the attitude everybody should have.

Indeed, never understood folks who just choose characters simply because they are tops. If you don't like or have fun playing the character then whats the point? I understand winning is fun and all but the journey should be just as fun as the end result. I can only imagine how much more enjoyable and rewarding it is to win with characters your truly like, rather than winning with top tiers. Of course if your character or team happens to end up being top than thats fine but you guys know what I mean. When I started out way back with sf II, fatal fury, world heroes etc I always would pick characters that I thought looked cool/fun and went from there. It never onced crossed my mind to this day to pick characters based on how good they are. Nowadays it seems alot of these "top" players pick up the game test out to see who is the best/cheapest character and the rest is history. At the end of the day I just feel that these are videogames and they are meant to be fun and entertaining and so those things should always be a top priority.

Spencer/Wesker/Magneto
Spencer/Magneto/Phoenix

Oh, I'm not even gonna worry about which is the best team, I'm just going to pick characters I like and play them in teams that make sense. I feel like I understand the engine well enough that spending any time thinking instead of playing isn't going to help me become a better player. And ultimately, that's what I want. To not suck.
I go through this cycle too. "I just want to play Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan because it's the characters I love". Then I get dive kicked by Strider 20 fights in a row, and I just can't take it anymore. You'll be there too, just you wait!

Man, I wish Magnetic blasts were overheads. I never really bothered with them before, but box-dash M.Blasts are the bee's kneez.

I tried the Empire loop. Got that shit a couple of times. Most of them were spent hitting accidental TACs though. >:|
Dark Hole should be unblockable. I mean, it's a hole, in space, that's appearing within you. How do you block that!?

that is the attitude everybody should have.
It's not any fun to lose! :p

Tobe

smurf's tag should be "get some H, go H again" goddamit, seriously do you mash that shit on wake up? still after the disconnect i kinda lost but GG fun matches dropped some vergil combos that cost me some matches and random bad decision lost me again a couple more.
it shouldve been a closer score.
im going to keep repeating it FUCK HAGGAR, that down H is retarded (not the fact that otg's but the knockdown it gives is just BAH)

smurfx

get some go again
smurf's tag should be "get some H, go H again" goddamit, seriously do you mash that shit on wake up? still after the disconnect i kinda lost but GG fun matches dropped some vergil combos that cost me some matches and random bad decision lost me again a couple more.
it shouldve been a closer score.
im going to keep repeating it FUCK HAGGAR, that down H is retarded (not the fact that otg's but the knockdown it gives is just BAH)
haha yeah i do mash throw when the game starts since haggar has some of the best options if you do tech the throw. i've practiced it a lot and have gotten blown up because of it but i'm trying to make an art of it. :p pretty much all those throws i got with haggar were intentional and not just random mashing. biza influenced me and made me work harder on getting throws. fuck haggar? fuck vergil! god damn that character can get away with so much bullshit because of his stupid hit box.

smurfx

get some go again
question is the running launch shit +frames on block?
running launch? hoodlum launcher? no its negative but pipe is like +15 or something like that which makes the follow up hoodlum launcher safe.

edit: hmm seems i'm having great success throwing people at the start if i do it the way i was doing it against you towards the end of our matches. will be trying it out more and seeing if this somehow gives me an edge.

Karst if you are still trying Strange, here is a frame trap string that I got from Maziodyne.

cr.L,cr.L,st.M, slight pause, double tap f.H
Why double tap?

I'm still working on Strange, but my problem is less about opening people up and more about surviving, hahaha. Once I get that down I'll focus on opening people up. I like to be able to feel like I can control the fight.

Azure J

Funny that God's Beard had a "fuck everything, only playing my favs" epiphany the same day/night I decide to throw everyone not Dante, Amaterasu, Strider, Felicia and Phoenix under a bus just so I can get some straight grind sessions on. I'm sure I'll be whoring my attention span between the other guys soon enough, especially Zero, Magneto, Vergil, Doom and Morrigan who I've developed a new appreciation for, but right now, I feel like I'm too caught up in the "kid in the candy store" vortex. :lol

That being said, I'd like to address something really quickly. Whoever said Dante does no damage clearly hasn't been messing around with this character for more than a few minutes. Not even going for gimmicks like the recent TK Volcano/Strider Assist stuff I'm fond of lately, I just tonight found out that you can do a second rep of H - Air Play - H in the corner if you hit them with a launcher after the first rep in Dante's BNB. My damage just shot from 700K and change to damn near 800K and over that if you confirm with a j.S/Hammer.

Mother of God.

Notations for those who need em:

(MH-Stinger-BC Volcano/j.S/Hammer) - j.H - Air Play - j.H - S - j. H - Air Play - j.H - Killer Bee - (backdash) S - Up Shots - Stinger Lvl. 2 - Hammer - Instant Million Carats/Volcano~Beehive - Million Dollars.

There's a number of places in this where you can change up the overall combo and get some wild shit going on. There's also potential for a variant of this to be used as a new catch 'n carry combo. I substituted the second rep of j.H - Air Play - j.H for M-H-Killer Bee and it works 100% of the time in the corner. I tried it moving from one side of the screen to the next and while it is finicky in this unoptimized state, it does hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 out of every 5 times. I know it's hit stun limits kicking in but I really feel like there's something there, especially given how much damage this is all doing without shot loops.

No idea but that beats all cr. L. I guess surviving depends on your ability to jump, projectile/grace, teleport down.

As time goes on, these characters with more tools become stronger. Just something people have to pay attention to.

smurfx

get some go again
Smurf, are you starting to run Haggar point?

So who of all of us is definitely going to Evo so far? 645, me, Smurf?
no i'm not running haggar on point but i like using him on point in player matches just to get used to different team orders. i also like doing hawkeye on point since i want to get more comfortable with him as i'm still trying to get better with him and just play around with my team order. also i'm not sure if i'm going to evo this year. doesn't look like my cousin is going to be able to go to vegas in july and i don't want to go by myself. i'm thinking of maybe buying the spectator pass and going on sunday to check out the finals and then drive back home but damn its going to be a long ass drive.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So anyway.

Any of you ever had one of your assists caught in a combo, drop out of that combo, stand up and do his recovery animation as if he's about to leave the field like normal, then somehow get hit AGAIN before jumping away?

Lost a tournament match due to this yesterday. It'd be cool if someone could tell me why that happens. >_>
This shit right here.

Knew I wasn't imagining it.

Bizazedo

Cool.

I just hope I don't end up in the same pool as people I know or have played with on the forums I go to.

Nightmare scenario would be "First match, 645 vs Biz!"

Followed by a dude in a wheelchair (me) going "fuck!"

Bizazedo

That sucks for you, man. I've only seen it once in thousands of matches myself and luckily it was to my opponent. Never been able to replicate it.

There's some weird stuff when you catch assists. Like it seems like they don't have a limit on wall bounces if you use a side exchange to do it so you can bounce them around all day.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Sooo what's with all of the character epiphanies all of the sudden?

I guess mine would be that I actually enjoy playing Nova now.

Grecco

Was messing around

Haggar/Pheonix Wright/Chris isnt awful. Dont think id make it my main team but still it kinda works.

Bizazedo

Part of me wonders if a lot of "crazy" or not regularly seen teams like that (might be more accurate) just need a lot of time played to find the crazy shit to do with them.

Even something simple like Nova / Wesker and DHC'ng from Gravimetric Blaster into Lost in Nightmares or the gunshot assist for otg into Centurion Arts M into Centurion Arts H.

Nyoro SF

I was so impressed by the Spencer/Phoenix Wright/Doom team that GX made that I thought I'd try to learn Spencer.

His high-damaging bnbs with the multiple zips and upward grapples are tough, but worth it.

LakeEarth

Is there a good Doom guide anywhere? I can't get the correct timing for his mid screen bnb loop (m m foot foot dive).

The trick with that combo is that you have to press a button after the S footdive to drop down faster. You have a floaty drop, but if you press H and go through the laser startup you get to the ground faster and get that OTG.

shaowebb

Recap of a tournament I was at last weekend.

I played kinda scrubby but if you want to see a decent Raccoon at work check out Solidplay's matches.

Some of the Raccoon stuff

Dude that commentary is hilarious. I'm dying over here xD

EDIT: Ooooooooooooooooh! Dat OCV of yours sixfortyfive is sweet at the 1:25:00 mark. I don't even care it involved a happy birthday its friggin' beautiful.. Also on the related links props for your main being the Blue Ranger in Soul Calibur. So far I main Groose.

Azure J

This shit right here.

Knew I wasn't imagining it.

Wow. :lol

Edit: May I also just say that I really love your spacing/footsies game with Felicia? One of the biggerst reasons why I love playing with her is because it feels so right to play patient with her, even if her rushdown is fucking absurdly good. Also, I seriously underrated Hawkeye. The video reminded me that last night I messed around with Hawkeye on anchor with Dante/Strider in first and second and holy shit having a real horizontal assist was like a marked improvement for my team. Still going to run with Amaterasu though because once I get Cold Shot lockdown going more often, fun times will be had.

JeTmAn81

Is there a good Doom guide anywhere? I can't get the correct timing for his mid screen bnb loop (m m foot foot dive).

I know there should be some vids on YouTube explaining the necessary timing on that. It's annoying how specific you need to be on some of these combos. When you see other people doing it you get the impression that they just mash on buttons at will, it all comes out so smoothly. I couldn't get that Doom loop at all until I found the explanatory video. But here are the details I found to be essential:

1. After the initial launch, hit M instantly, pause slightly, then hit M again. I believe this is to allow Doom to rise up above his opponent to make the next step more likely to hit.
2. Hit the command foot dive (F+H), then the S foot dive as quickly as you can. I don't think the timing on those is too specific, just do it quickly.
3. As soon as you see the animation for the S foot dive hitting (you might have to pause very slightly after inputting the actual buttons since you can enter both foot dives pretty much together), immediately air-dash down forward, pause very slightly and then hit M. The M will whiff, but that's ok because it brings you down to the ground a lot more quickly to keep the combo going.
4. The instant you touch the ground, jump up-forward and then air-dash down forward before hitting H into launcher to continue another rep of the combo.

I'm far from an expert on that sequence, but those are the particulars that seem to make it work.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
For M M Foot Footdive just mess around with the timing and amount of hits on the two j.Ms. Like for example have the first one hit twice and the second once. Or something like that.

It might not be those amount of hits exactly but it's something like that.

Xevren

To Felicia players, how do you deal with happy birthdays? Air Delta's only tend to hit one so I try to just do a magic series into ground sand splash into hyper but I have issues with one popping out. Since I have Frank on my team and if I have meter I tend to just use Team Hypers but wondering if maybe there is a better way...

Azure J

I haven't watched it, but how much of it still applies to Ultimate? Seems like nobody really uses the Buktooth loop anymore.

It still teaches a lot regarding Dash Cancel timings and visual aids for when to hit with j.Ms for midscreen combos. Really, it's worth it just to get visuals on how Doom's combos work. (Visual learner here)

On another note, remember how I was working on a new Dante full screen carry combo?

Re:

That being said, I'd like to address something really quickly. Whoever said Dante does no damage clearly hasn't been messing around with this character for more than a few minutes. Not even going for gimmicks like the recent TK Volcano/Strider Assist stuff I'm fond of lately, I just tonight found out that you can do a second rep of H - Air Play - H in the corner if you hit them with a launcher after the first rep in Dante's BNB. My damage just shot from 700K and change to damn near 800K and over that if you confirm with a j.S/Hammer.

Mother of God.

Notations for those who need em:

(MH-Stinger-BC Volcano/j.S/Hammer) - j.H - Air Play - j.H - S - j. H - Air Play - j.H - Killer Bee - (backdash) S - Up Shots - Stinger Lvl. 2 - Hammer - Instant Million Carats/Volcano~Beehive - Million Dollars.

There's a number of places in this where you can change up the overall combo and get some wild shit going on. There's also potential for a variant of this to be used as a new catch 'n carry combo. I substituted the second rep of j.H - Air Play - j.H for M-H-Killer Bee and it works 100% of the time in the corner. I tried it moving from one side of the screen to the next and while it is finicky in this unoptimized state, it does hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 out of every 5 times. I know it's hit stun limits kicking in but I really feel like there's something there, especially given how much damage this is all doing without shot loops.

It works! It works! Notations:

(MH-Stinger-BC Volcano/j.S/Hammer) - j.H - Air Play - j.H - S - j. M - j.H - Killer Bee - (backdash) S - Up Shots - Stinger Lvl. 2 [add Bold Cancel Teleport or loop S - Up Shots 2 or 3 times before using Stinger Lvl. 2 if you aren't in the corner by now] - Hammer - Instant Million Carats/Volcano~Beehive - Million Dollars.

The key here is to make sure that when you're juggling the character with the j.H - Air Play - j.H, you:

- Delay the second j.H.
- Mustn't add the H on the ground that most Dantes do for spacing's sake in combos. [Ex Note: It feels like this is kinda finicky, sometimes you can do the combo with the added H, but a lot of times the hit stun is too much and you only notice as much when the most important part, the Killer Bee in the air starts up.]
- Hit S before they drop but not before the juggled character is around Dante's lower chest/upper torso's height. The actual area of leeway might be greater than this, but try it and see what works for you.

I'm half tempted to make a video for this, even if it's stuff people have already accomplished just to say I contributed something to Mahvel GAF.

Edit: I thought I was editing my post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom