• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys just lariat assist when vajra is called and kill him. i do it all the time. :p also taskmasters angled arrow hyper also catches him on the way down even if he is called after i started using it.
If I could charge 3D0C, I'd do that. :p

I'd still nerf Doom's S back to Vanilla properties, he did NOT need that at all. It's up there with the stupid Wesker glasses shit for me.
j.S always lead to a full combo. Now it just has more priority and scrubby players can get more out of it. It's a really small buff. His forward throws leading to hard knockdowns are much better buffs.

Doom is scary in exactly one situation:

If Dog is behind him.
I think he can be scary with Sentinel Force and some other things. Amaterasu just comes to mind because of Clockwork putting so much work in with those two. Amaterasu makes a lot of characters scary.

What's this I'm hearing about "Good TACs"? What makes a TAC good or bad?
Good TACs lead to huge damage, bad ones don't. Watch some videos of his TAC combos.

Problem is, my sparring partner knows how to go low with Doom, it's hard to fight him.
Unless you aren't doing your job, Doom needs to air dash to get in. That means he either has to air dash without an attack, which would be stupid unless you're pinned by an assist, or he's going to attack high first. Block, pushblock, and there's no reason to ever worry about blocking him low. Morrigan has the same problem.

Dooms point capabilities are a.tier but his support is s tier thus why he is top.tier. Same for Dante and strider only moreso.
No way, Dante is still S tier on point.

Doom is NOT ovverated.
How convincing.

Good TACs are TACs that are done with a purpose. Chunners infinite, the hype and awesome fly combos certain chars can do off a TAC, West leveling up, anti Phoenix tech, etc.

Bizazedo

Good TACs are ones that are "necessary". I know depending on how I start my combo if I need a TAC to max damage or to kill them.

The only TACs that are unnecessary are ones where you can do more damage without doing a TAC or if you do them instead of learning long combos.

smurfx

get some go again
lol did you guys see day 2 of marvel week on the online warrior? poor tobe got denied a game by max. :( check it out and see a copy cat task/hawk/haggar team! i'm the only one with that team! i invented task/haggar dammit!

Tobe

lol did you guys see day 2 of marvel week on the online warrior? poor tobe got denied a game by max. :( check it out and see a copy cat task/hawk/haggar team! i'm the only one with that team! i invented task/haggar dammit!

that day i had like the WORST connection ever dammit :(

still ive beaten max before so no biggie
on early ssf4 days lol

rexor0717

I think people constantly underestimate Doom's ability as a point character. Pair him with a good horizontal assist, and you can get some really tricky situations. You just have to make sure that you use all his tools. I really like his j.H a lot. I don't spam it, but its an excellent way to keep people from getting away if you time it right. I keep Task in the back, so the arrows will keep them grounded, then I do some triangle jumping mixups. Sure, its not full proof, but it will push them back to that corner where Doom shines and goes to easy mode.

I think people constantly underestimate Doom's ability as a point character. Pair him with a good horizontal assist, and you can get some really tricky situations. You just have to make sure that you use all his tools. I really like his j.H a lot. I don't spam it, but its an excellent way to keep people from getting away if you time it right. I keep Task in the back, so the arrows will keep them grounded, then I do some triangle jumping mixups. Sure, its not full proof, but it will push them back to that corner where Doom shines and goes to easy mode.
I think it's more like we're countering people's overestimations of his point abilities. No one is saying he's bad, just that "omg j.S causes a hard knockdown" doesn't make him top tier on point.

My thing is just that he just really isn't overwhelming unless backed by Dog. Rarely do I feel scared to do stuff against him, just respect his throw range and block while underneath him.

Might be just me -- I'm not especially scared against Magneto either (until I block something T_T). Their hitboxes and invincibility just aren't so pointy/overwhelming ala Zero, Team DMC, Logan, Cat, Viper or even the Raccoon. I put him more in the respect than "destroy at all costs" box.

Bizazedo

Might be just me -- I'm not especially scared against Magneto either (until I block something T_T). Their hitboxes and invincibility just aren't so pointy/overwhelming ala Zero, Team DMC, Logan, Cat, Viper or even the Raccoon. I put him more in the respect than "destroy at all costs" box.

Same. Unless I let myself get pinned in the corner, I respect him, but it's not OMG.

Azure J

Remember when I said I was going to stick with a certain small pool of characters and focus on them? Remember when I said I was sticking with Dante, Amaterasu and Strider no matter what?

Yeah, I don't either. :p [/sarcasm]

I'm now working with three specific frames (duos I like) + a gel character to make things come together. Currently, it looks like:

Dante (Jam Session)/Doom (Plasma Beam)/Strider (Vajira)
Dante (Jam Session)/Magneto (Estaka)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)
Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Phoenix (TK Shot)

And I'm actually having fun, even though I pretty much have to re-learn team specifics and in Magneto's case, one whole character. I have a few notes to make though:

- Vergil/Morrigan is still in R&D, they're just getting downplayed until I feel better about my Fly/Unflys as Morrigan and moving without a horizontal assist/staying safe through blockstrings as Vergil. Also, footsies.

- I'm in training messing with Dante/Doom trying to find some cool little extensions here and there and I'm thinking there's something nice I can get off the beam assist. Right now, I'm experimenting with the sequence around (Any Hard Knockdown) - Cold Shower - Bold Cancel Teleport with the following ideas:

Call Doom assist right before the actual teleport so the wallbounced character falls on it and I hit with Hammer on other end.

Teleport - Rain Storm - Call Doom assist - Hammer.

I feel like either of these should work, but they're either massively timing dependent or I'm not seeing what I should be doing. Any suggestions?

- I seriously don't know how I never really messed with Magnus more. I casually dabbled in playing with him (is it an unwritten rule of Marvel games that you will always play a Magneto at one point or other? :p) and thought he was alright, but just using some of the funkier little things he has going for himself at the basic level (Attraction/Repulsion/Gravitation is AMAAAAAZING), Estaka going with everything, and that slick ass air dash in flight (I no longer have to fear Zero) has made me realize, I really really like playing the character.

Sad part is this is coming from someone who can only do Magic Series - Air Magic Series - Attraction - Shockwave consistently. :lol

I'll get like 2 or 3 Hs from Ghetto ROM before I lose orientation, but the idea that I'm even hitting is hype enough for someone with next to no VS series experience. :p

- Dante/Felicia is seriously one of my favorite BFF setups and Dante/Felicia/Phoenix is my favorite Phoenix team at current. <3 the Devil Hunter, <3 the Nun Catgirl, & <3 JEEEEEEEEAN.

Remember when I said I was going to stick with a certain small pool of characters and focus on them? Remember when I said I was sticking with Dante, Amaterasu and Strider no matter what?

Yeah, I don't either. :p [/sarcasm]
It's okay, we all go through this. In Reznor's words, "my lips may promise but my heart is a whore". We're all team whores here - too much good stuff to stick with one group.

GGs to Biz, I tried to message 1 more but got times out at the lobby I think?

I learned a lot about Zero that I might have to steal :D

Overall it was a ton of fun, I'm still trying to get used to the delay online, I can never tell the timing of the super jump after launcher online and it fucks up my combos 100% of the time with Magneto. I dunno how you always land your stuff, I'm impressed.

Yell if you want me to switch teams, Gods.

No way in hell, Zero team was the best for me to learn from :)

Grecco

AtXxDvKCIAAUIn0.jpg

FChamps Tier list.

Dahbomb

His tier list changes every time I see it but this new one is probably his best one yet.

I still say he puts Deadpool in way too low. I would like to see Firebrand up 1 spot along with Trish, Thor, Spider Man and IM.

Iron Fist should be in that bottom tier.

Also is it ranked from left to right? Wolverine in top 5 is a bit too high. Hulk is kinda high too if the left to right order is true.

Grecco

I dont think its left to right just by tiers.

And i think its probably a good tier list for where the meta stands right now.

(I kinda think Wolverine is a tad overrated)

Dahbomb

FChamp usually likes to rank the entire list in order and he usually does left to right. The first indication that I saw for it was Zero in the top left and PW in bottom right. Zero, Viper, Vergil has been the top 3 in that order for quite a few people as well.

12 years later and instead of 3 Marvel top tiers we now have 3 Capcom top tiers.

rexor0717

I think it's more like we're countering people's overestimations of his point abilities. No one is saying he's bad, just that "omg j.S causes a hard knockdown" doesn't make him top tier on point.
I agree with this though. Once people learn to respect j.S, its manageable.

My thing is just that he just really isn't overwhelming unless backed by Dog. Rarely do I feel scared to do stuff against him, just respect his throw range and block while underneath him.

I can agree with this too. I've been considering putting Ammy in the back just so I can have access to the dumb stuff he can do with her.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Saw the Joker vs. JWong archive...

lol. The biased commentary was fantastic. "yo Iron Man got those" referring to a pixel IM comeback. What he failed to mention was that Joker was in the process of getting comebacked-on(?) himself.

Kioshen

Grinding it out finally paid out ! Tonight I managed to pull off 25% of the time a fast fly/unfly Magnus combo. It's still not the optimized version pro Magneto players like to use but hey I'm happy to finally some base to start relying on.

That Zero picture is hilarious with a lot of fun jabs throughout. Hat tip to the person that made it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fanatiq's logic is blowing my mind. Shit is hella retarded.

Like, what the fuck. How are you a vet sounding like this? lol
He's kind of like ETR and Tasty Steve. You have to put up with all the annoying shit coming out of their mouths just for the one or two gems that might slip through over the course of it all.

Hmm...

Magneto/Sentinel/Raccoon
Zero/Magneto/Raccoon
Zero/Strider/Magneto

I like Phoenix, but I feel like I don't want to use the teams that I need to use her well. Maaaaybe Zero/Magneto/Phoenix, but that's it.

Dahbomb

Hmm...

Magneto/Sentinel/Raccoon
Zero/Magneto/Raccoon
Zero/Strider/Magneto

I like Phoenix, but I feel like I don't want to use the teams that I need to use her well. Maaaaybe Zero/Magneto/Phoenix, but that's it.
I thought you said you wanted to get banned if you brought up new team constructs/theory fighter stuff again.

Onemic

What would be better:

Zero/Vergil/Wesker

or

Wolverine/Vergil/Wesker

Or any combination of those characters. Or if not how would you construct it to make it a good team?

Azure J

F. Champ on Fanatiq's stream breaking down his reasoning for his tier list right now. It's fun stuff, although I find it funny he's talking about the Flame Carpet nerf as a big deal still versus his other buffs.

I-hate-u

This lack of Dante respect is not sitting well with me. I think he is the best character in the game for the fact that he has tools fight almost every character evenly. Also his DT is under-abused for the powerups he gets. Also, he is a synergy monster with teams

Grecco

What would be better:

Zero/Vergil/Wesker

or

Wolverine/Vergil/Wesker

Or any combination of those characters. Or if not how would you construct it to make it a good team?

Zero/Vergil/Beam Assist (Taskmaster/Magneto/Hawkeye/Doom ect)

or Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma

Azure J

This lack of Dante respect is not sitting well with me. I think he is the best character in the game for the fact that he has tools fight almost every character evenly. Also his DT is under-abused for the powerups he gets. Also, he is a synergy monster with teams

See if this was Vanilla, I'd agree with this. Being really honest, I still do agree because of the "Dante makes any team better" aspect and the near infinite potential he has regarding his tool set. As it stands now if I look at it objectively he's in my top 3 easy and the only reason he isn't "lol best there is" is because of the work necessary to hit that high damage (no one wants to do it anymore it seems) he is free to fast start up attacks or high priority moves. The Zero/Dante match up I deal with regularly makes me realize that you have to really think about what you throw out to deal with him, whereas playing it from the other side, all you really have to keep in mind is to have a buster charged at all times, stay in the air and use command dashes sparingly so you don't get clipped with Acid Rain, j.S or Million Carats on the descent.

Now you want to talk about underrated characters, we should start with Strider. He is right there tied with Morrigan for characters who people "understand" at what amounts to a glance at current. When someone comes along and mops things up with Viscant Wesker like clinical easy mode resets as Strider or when people manage to hit the golden ratio between Sou Sou Traps and byakoko styled setups/rushdown/Soul Drain loops, shit will seriously hit the fan.

I-hate-u

I just feel that he has tools that people don't abuse. Like qcb-m revolver range, his last hit of shoryuken-mm beehive is an overhead and the way that you can set up a crazy x-factor mix-ups with qcf-mm million carrots.
Then there is stuff like how acid rains beats skrull, jam session weakens Morrigan/Doom, reverb shock fights wolvy, devil trigger can beat Phoenix and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom