• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

This lack of Dante respect is not sitting well with me. I think he is the best character in the game for the fact that he has tools fight almost every character evenly. Also his DT is under-abused for the powerups he gets. Also, he is a synergy monster with teams
While I agree that a lot of tools of Dante are overlooked, its also not true that he has an answer for everything. He does not have an answer for hard rushdown when characters are in his face because his fastest move is 8 frames (fast characters have 4, good ones have 5 to 6).

Vanilla Dante on the other hand was the best character because he had an answer for everything. Invincible hammer plus invincible assists put a check even on vanilla wolverine.

Top players seem to have no clue how this game works when they put out a stupid lists like that.

ffs

I was working on a post to question everything wrong with this tier list and others (IMHO), but I think it's best to just save it since they're just opinions anyway.

Weird to see how people "think" about the characters in this game though. I really don't get the ridiculous love for Spencer all around. Pretty boggly. Ditto for Taskmaster (not in this one but in others). Some seem to be based a lot around solidity as opposed to upper boundaries/possibilities, which is fine I guess.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Went to week 1 of ATL Finalroundbats today, placed higher than the biggest 2 threats there (imo), yet still ended up in 4th place. :/

Oh well, at least I'm on the board. The grand prize is a trip to Japan to compete with their Marvel scene so I really want to make it out to as many of these as I can.

Azure J

Went to week 1 of ATL Finalroundbats today, placed higher than the biggest 2 threats there (imo), yet still ended up in 4th place. :/

Oh well, at least I'm on the board. The grand prize is a trip to Japan to compete with their Marvel scene so I really want to make it out to as many of these as I can.

GAF|Sixfortyfive putting in work it seems. :p

Good stuff. :)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think tier lists for this game are kind of dumb seeing as most of the characters are pretty close to each other. There are characters that are definitely more useful than others and stuff though. Like Dante is definitely way better than Tron.

But seeing things like Strider next to Hulk is just UGH. I'm surprised people think of characters that way.

Maybe it's their ignorance, which a bunch of top players are shown to have.

Like they'll say a character is bad just because they've never seen them play before and such.

I think tier lists for this game are kind of dumb seeing as most of the characters are pretty close to each other. There are characters that are definitely more useful than others and stuff though. Like Dante is definitely way better than Tron.

But seeing things like Strider next to Hulk is just UGH. I'm surprised people think of characters that way.

Like they'll say a character is bad just because they've never seen them play before and such.

Lots of tier lists do end up being "what I have trouble with" lists much of the time too.

Tiers for this game should be teams or at least shells anyway :p Or they could just not do 'em, hahaha.

Anth0ny

I think Champ's list is pretty good. I might move a few characters here and there, but he has the tiers themselves spot on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Preach.

I haven't seen a single top player not fall into this. Yeah, they can be fun, but passing them off as objective is usually the point, and they end up heavily swayed by various biases. Makes for good controversy I guess?

I just feel like tier lists are a waste of time, especially in a game like Marvel when conditions change on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

It's not about the best team, though. Just trying to figure out what I'm having the most fun with. I like all these characters for fun.
This is like an alcoholic saying you just want to drink socially for a bit.

F. Champ on Fanatiq's stream breaking down his reasoning for his tier list right now. It's fun stuff, although I find it funny he's talking about the Flame Carpet nerf as a big deal still versus his other buffs.
The Flame Carpet nerf is a pretty big deal, because it changes Dormammu into much more of a rushdown character. Before he had some hope of playing a zoning game, and now it just doesn't work unless your opponent's team is horribly built. Take Wesker for example as an opponent. In Vanilla, it made a lot of sense to create the breathing room to lay down Flame Carpet. Now, one of Wesker's random bullets will make it disappear. As a result, Dormammu pretty much only has the option of rushing Wesker down. Champ likes to play Dormammu as a zoner, so it makes sense that he's feeling the pain.

Personally, Dormammu gaining the ability to attack out of a down-back air dash makes me happier than any other buff. So stupid in Vanilla...

What BnB should I start practicing first if I want to use Mag? Any tips on how to get to grips with him for a first timer?
I'd start with the basic fly combo. c.LMHS, sj.H, dash, sj.H, fly, sj.LH, dash->sj.H for a while...

It nullifies meteor smash which is a big part of his game. Ofcourse there are other ways to Skrull getting in like FFF-heavy but Dante can cope with those I feel
If Dante uses Acid Rain, I'm just going to Elastic Slam him. I don't think this is a good plan at all. If you want to beat Skrull, you just need to rush his butt down.

http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/umv...fefk8thwa5ewbfcvh1iccqgnbgb2ifl3e1-bkg-naNoel

Noel Browns list seems terrible tbh. Has Vergil as the best character in the game ahead of Zero.

(Putting Taskmaster so low is ridiculous)
Wow, look at how low Strider is. I'm offended.

I'm not big on tier lists for a team game. Especially when most characters don't have anyone good representing them.

Lots of tier lists do end up being "what I have trouble with" lists much of the time too.

Tiers for this game should be teams or at least shells anyway :p Or they could just not do 'em, hahaha.
Chris and Deadpool feel really top tier against Vanilla Dormammu...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
>>mfw a commentator on stream casually says that X character is "easily the best in the game"

ibnRRJOfL5x6sD.JPG

This lack of Dante respect is not sitting well with me. I think he is the best character in the game for the fact that he has tools fight almost every character evenly. Also his DT is under-abused for the powerups he gets. Also, he is a synergy monster with teams

I agree. I think he is top 4 in the game easily but you have to put in so much effort into him to get the results. Most people don't want to put in the effort or can't. Why put in effort when you can play wesker?

I will not theory fight .
I will not theory fight.

What is it they say about quitting addictions? The first few days are the hardest? Cause I'm on the verge of relapse right now.

I will not theory fight .
I will not theory fight.

What is it they say about quitting addictions? The first few days are the hardest? Cause I'm on the verge of relapse right now.

The word relapse is used so negatively these days. Sometimes it can be a good thing in certain situations.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Any interesting cliff notes to take away from Toryuken? I was occupied all day.

Justin Wong ran through Canada with Wolverine.

He did a FT10 against Joker that went 10-2. Fanatiq commentated on his stream during this match.

That's really all I saw.

Uh a few Gaffers were there but I wasn't watching the stream at all so I don't know if any made it on.

True. Still, I think Nova is my best dude. People x-factor to kill Zero and I squee in joy.
Man, you have to be a fool to blow X-Factor to kill Zero. He dies on his own!

On that note, a simultaneously flattering and frustrating experience: people blowing X-Factor to kill Dormammu when I have Phoenix and 5 bars behind him.

Bizazedo

Lot of people do blow it to kill him, though. I usually chalk it up to frustration, but yeah, similar to your story with Phoenix, they blow it to kill Zero with Nova and Wesker still due up.

I may have inflated Nova's worth in my head in retrospect, though, since I abuse X-factor with him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any interesting cliff notes to take away from Toryuken? I was occupied all day.
Incredibly godlike Iron Man play, NeoRussell's Raccoon/Ammy mixups, a Zero actually completing the lightning loop, God's Beard being wrong, and an incredibly hype Wesker/Arthur showdown.

They're all pretty spaced out throughout the tourney though. The Wesker/Arthur moment was probably the most hype bit of the entire tourney. Nothing too crazy, if you want to get a rare look at good Iron man play, just watch the salty runback FT10 between Joker and Wong.

People on Fanatiq's stream today:

Mike Ross
Flash Metroid
Marn
Neo
Noah "little niglet"
Sherry Jenix
Some random dominican dude
PR Rog
Filipino Champ
Dogface's ghost
Twitch Cops
Skisonic
Aquasilk

Highlights:

Stream monsters going nuts on Joker for hours
Fanatiq accidentally posting people's personal information... repeatedly
half a dozen new high stakes money matches
Fanatiq is the west coast triforce
Fanatiq and Mike Ross' ladyfriends

Definitely the best part of Toryuken.

True. Still, I think Nova is my best dude. People x-factor to kill Zero and I squee in joy.

Why? He has no health. Level 1 and 2 X-factor always fucks up my execution. Regardless, I thought your Zero was harder to fight, and looked way cooler in movement.

Bizazedo

Why? He has no health. Level 1 and 2 X-factor always fucks up my execution. Regardless, I thought your Zero was harder to fight, and looked way cooler in movement.

Thanks, I enjoy Zero a lot.

And I dunno. It might be their unfamiliarity with Nova, but I find myself able to rip teams apart with him. It probably is just unfamiliarity and not expecting how fast Nova really does move.

And I dunno. It might be their unfamiliarity with Nova, but I find myself able to rip teams apart with him. It probably is just unfamiliarity and not expecting how fast Nova really does move.
Personally, I lose to Nova a lot just because I don't understand him very well. Luckily, I never had to learn characters like Frank West, because to me they're just target practice. It's the characters with abnormal forms of aerial movement that mess me up. Plus Nova has the best answer to Stalking Flare in the game.

Your Zero is so much fun. It's like"ooh, pretty lights and pew pew pew oh I got hit", then Nova comes in and it's like, ok, he's box dashing at normal jump height and throwing javelins. Not that it isn't effective, but certainly not graceful lol

Bizazedo

Personally, I lose to Nova a lot just because I don't understand him very well. Luckily, I never had to learn characters like Frank West, because to me they're just target practice. It's the characters with abnormal forms of aerial movement that mess me up. Plus Nova has the best answer to Stalking Flare in the game.

Yeah, it really does feel like Nova beats Dorm for free (most of the time).

Your Zero is so much fun. It's like"ooh, pretty lights and pew pew pew oh I got hit", then Nova comes in and it's like, ok, he's box dashing at normal jump height and throwing javelins. Not that it isn't effective, but certainly not graceful lol

I can't lightning loop, though, I'm a fraud.

Yeah, it really does feel like Nova beats Dorm for free (most of the time).
I've found that the key is random Chaotic Flames. Nova players basically have 3 strategies:
1) Zip across the screen from superjump height for the ground bounce.
2) Zip across the screen at jump height and do a flip kick.
3) Zip across the screen with a slide that would make Vanilla She-Hulk envious.

So, I just wait a moment until I feel like the Nova player wants to do something, and then burn him to a crisp. Surprisingly effective, and very practical since I have Dark Harmonizer on my team. Sometimes I'll just XFC into Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame so he's out of my hair.

That and conservative Purifications. Against most characters, you want to throw Purification roughly where they might be if they dashed forward once while you perform the input, so if they're full screen you do the M version. With Nova, I do the L version.

Incredibly godlike Iron Man play, NeoRussell's Raccoon/Ammy mixups, a Zero actually completing the lightning loop, God's Beard being wrong, and an incredibly hype Wesker/Arthur showdown.

They're all pretty spaced out throughout the tourney though. The Wesker/Arthur moment was probably the most hype bit of the entire tourney. Nothing too crazy, if you want to get a rare look at good Iron man play, just watch the salty runback FT10 between Joker and Wong.

My connection has been shit all week so I haven‘t been able to watch streams. What happened with the Raccoon/Dog team? It‘s relevant to my interests :eek:

Nova just don't try to meet him in the air and block high unless he is paired with Frank. Then get out the godlike hitboxes and try to stop Frank/him that way.

Nova is a really simple character that is effective.

Solune

lol. Incredibly fraudulent, I think is what you meant to say.

Bizazedo

What was that combo you use? It looked pretty cool.

When close to the corner..

cr.M, st. H, call Nova on the last hit of standing H (unless going for a ground reset, then call it on the first hit of the following input), forward H, cr. M, st. H, forward H, S, sj straight up and then start pressing towards your opponent so you start to drift in the air towards him, j. M, j. M, j. H, release lvl 3 Buster, L Lightning, cr. H, forward H, S, sj again (but can be at him this time), j. M, j.M, j. H, j. S, call Wesker gunshot, S, j. M, release lvl 3 Buster, L Lightning, normal jump up-back before the opponent hits the ground, M divekick, Rekkoha.

For a full corner to corner carry, the only difference is it's dangerous to do the cr. H, forward H midscreen, so normally just one step back and S to continue. Lose like 35k if you do that.

It works on everyone except MODOK, amusingly.

Y'can change it slightly by not doing the air lvl 3 buster in the beginning and instead swap it for j. S and do the divekick / buster re-launch (but you can't do the forward H after cr. H due to hitstun degradation), but it only adds like 21k. So I only do that if I need to. That and I like seeing an even number at the end pre hyper of 50 hits.

Ok I'm gonna drop into training mode in about an hour if anybody wants to play.
When close to the corner..

cr.M, st. H, call Nova on the last hit of standing H (unless going for a ground reset, then call it on the first hit of the following input), forward H, cr. M, st. H, forward H, S, sj straight up and then start pressing towards your opponent so you start to drift in the air towards him, j. M, j. M, j. H, release lvl 3 Buster, L Lightning, cr. H, forward H, S, sj again (but can be at him this time), j. M, j.M, j. H, j. S, call Wesker gunshot, S, j. M, release lvl 3 Buster, L Lightning, normal jump up-back before the opponent hits the ground, M divekick, Rekkoha.

For a full corner to corner carry, the only difference is it's dangerous to do the cr. H, forward H midscreen, so normally just one step back and S to continue. Lose like 35k if you do that.

It works on everyone except MODOK, amusingly.

Y'can change it slightly by not doing the air lvl 3 buster in the beginning and instead swap it for j. S and do the divekick / buster re-launch (but you can't do the forward H after cr. H due to hitstun degradation), but it only adds like 21k. So I only do that if I need to. That and I like seeing an even number at the end pre hyper of 50 hits.
Cool, I'll keep this in mind! Learning Zero and Rocket Raccoon is a lot of fun :)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Quick question, I was thinking of buying the original version for <$20 to play with my kids. Is there any good reason to spend twice as much if I never play online? The extra characters don't look that interesting either.

Quick question, I was thinking of buying the original version for <$20 to play with my kids. Is there any good reason to spend twice as much if I never play online? The extra characters don't look that interesting either.

Card mode is pretty fun. It's only 33 bucks on overstock, but I thought the price would have dropped lower by now. Huh.

Grecco

IF its just you and your kids. Then no vanilla marvel will be fine.

JeTmAn81

So guys, I took first at a tournament* on Saturday! This was my first tournament win, so I'm pretty stoked. The tournament was held at a local comicon, so it was a fun time all around.

*There were only five people in the tournament, one of which was a little girl in a wheelchair who'd never played before, and the other who tried to back out after he played me in casuals but was unable to because the tournament had already started. I didn't lose any matches except to the girl in the wheelchair because I wanted her to have a good time.

Bizazedo

Ok I'm gonna drop into training mode in about an hour if anybody wants to play.

Cool, I'll keep this in mind! Learning Zero and Rocket Raccoon is a lot of fun :)

The beginning part where I call Nova is used to link the combo, since the cr. M after the forward H doesn't combo.

I am VERY lazy and do that instead of switching which button is holding Buster, although I did make myself learn to do that in case some situation occurs where I need to.

God's Beard said:
Card mode is pretty fun. It's only 33 bucks on overstock, but I thought the price would have dropped lower by now. Huh.

I was looking for used copies / new for a tournament I was running and it was a bitch to find, locally. Zero used copies and few new ones for Ultimate. It was..annoying.

I think it's worth paying a bit more to get 12 more characters. A lot has changed with the original characters in Ultimate, too. I doubt Vanilla will be getting any updates in the future.

So guys, I took first at a tournament* on Saturday! This was my first tournament win, so I'm pretty stoked. The tournament was held at a local comicon, so it was a fun time all around.

*There were only five people in the tournament, one of which was a little girl in a wheelchair who'd never played before, and the other who tried to back out after he played me in casuals but was unable to because the tournament had already started. I didn't lose any matches except to the girl in the wheelchair because I wanted her to have a good time.
Real life is always more hilarious than anything in movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom