• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I just got revenge at a guy that almost perfected me once, and it was glorious. First I actually got the first hit on his Morrigan and obliterated her with Nova, then caught his Dante in a combo and DHC'd to level up my Frank to 5. The guy switched to Vergil and Frank kept him under control until the dude got desparate and did a random super that I caught with Frank's Servbot head AA super for the kill. Then the Raccoon killed Dante (who killed the rest of the team because X-factor >.>).

It felt SO good.

smurfx

get some go again
Yo Smurfx, why you gotta make a guy feel inferior. 0-10, SMH. No idea what to do about Haggar.
use wesker against haggar and zone him out. haggar can't do shit to zoning weskers. also hulks H goes through air pipe so don't be afraid to use it.

Dahbomb

Watching the Justin vs Joker archives and holy shit at Justin's tech with Akuma. Those incoming mix ups were godlike.

Joker using a block string with cr.H against an anchor character sitting with XF was stupid as fuck. He dropped that game for sure, that's like Iron Man 101.

Dahbomb

I saw the grand finals live actually. That was a download of epic proportions.

Although from what I am seeing in the Justin vs Joker match, Justin completely and utterly downloaded Joker 100%. Full write up coming up shortly.

JeTmAn81

use wesker against haggar and zone him out. haggar can't do shit to zoning weskers. also hulks H goes through air pipe so don't be afraid to use it.

It didn't seem like I could create enough distance at the beginning of the match to get any Wesker zoning started. I feel like you probably would've switched to Arrow Bros. in that case. I was trying to armor through pipe with Hulk but the timing on that has to be right. I feel like my spacing got slightly better but one Haggar combo pretty much kills any of my characters so 3 mistakes a match is all I got.

When playing someone that far above my level like you, Biz, probably KillaSasa and Frantic, etc. I find it hard to really learn much because i am being pummeled so quickly. Sometimes I wish for some post-match analysis of some kind to get some specific pointers on what I could've done differently. I know in that first match I started Dante and got thrown because I didn't realize Haggar could be that close to me at the start. I was expecting to be able to throw out some swords. Then Dante pretty much dies off that one combo.

smurfx

get some go again
It didn't seem like I could create enough distance at the beginning of the match to get any Wesker zoning started. I feel like you probably would've switched to Arrow Bros. in that case. I was trying to armor through pipe with Hulk but the timing on that has to be right. I feel like my spacing got slightly better but one Haggar combo pretty much kills any of my characters so 3 mistakes a match is all I got.

When playing someone that far above my level like you, Biz, probably KillaSasa and Frantic, etc. I find it hard to really learn much because i am being pummeled so quickly. Sometimes I wish for some post-match analysis of some kind to get some specific pointers on what I could've done differently. I know in that first match I started Dante and got thrown because I didn't realize Haggar could be that close to me at the start. I was expecting to be able to throw out some swords. Then Dante pretty much dies off that one combo.
you know that one move that hulk does that charges towards you and then gives you an option to do it again? don't charge at me again the 2nd time because i can then throw you out of it or punish you if you don't use your meteor smash hyper. i threw you all day because you didn't charge out of the way the 2nd time. that is one thing i can tell you to change at the very least against haggar. btw wesker can get right under lariat and punish haggar. just be careful to not get hit with his punching hyper. you should probably bait it by just poking him and then wait for the haggar player to use the hyper and then punish after he misses.

Dahbomb

Alright just finished watching the exhibition.

The biggest problem with Joker was that he was dumb founded on the Wolverine match up. Didn't know what to do or how to approach especially at the start of the match. Basically once Magneto got touched it was game over and Magneto rarely got anything started despite being backed up by 2 great assists. Justin never gave him the space to do so.

Joker throws out and spams a lot of moves he shouldn't. Random box dash j.H, Magnetic Blasts spam with no real placements to them and random Repulsor Blasts... all that are punished or thrown. Same thing for Sentinel. A ton of places he used the wrong normals at the wrong time. It was pretty bad when he did a cr.H block string against Akuma but it was even WORSE that he did a LAUNCHER HIT CONFIRM WITH IRON MAN AGAINST WOLVERINE. Justin didn't even need to XF that.

He also got way too much mileage out of Repulsor Blast into super. It's a terrible thing to do unless it's a clutch situation like in that Storm match. In another match he tried to do it but died. It's a bad risk/reward scenario. He made some legit hit confirms with IM and in a lot of ways IM pulled back the team more than Magneto kept the team in motion.

His match up knowledge against good Storm and Akuma was also severely lacking. Got hit by 3 Akuma incoming mix ups which I guess really isn't his fault because almost no one has seen mix ups of that caliber. Storm + Tatsu also took Joker by surprise, he was getting hit by that all day. And WTF was up with some of those XF activations? That Proton Cannon XF had to be an execution error.

The rest was simply Justin Wong out playing him especially in the defense category. Justin was consistently blocking Joker's high low mix ups against both Magneto and IM. You can tell Joker was getting flustered over that because he doesn't even try to go for additional mix ups as he isn't used to getting that stuff blocked in the first place (in the videos Joker uploaded people weren't blocking that stuff at all). Joker in response got hit by every mix up that Justin threw at him and Justin instantly downloaded the fact that Joker was up/backing a lot, made use of staggered low cr.Ls. The final element of Joker's team synergy that Justin downloaded was the obvious fact that Iron Man is a legit threat with Drones backing him up so Justin immediately took care of that by snapping in Sentinel (the smart stuff).

The match should've been 10-1 with that level of performance. I don't think Joker would lose that badly to Fanatiq mostly because he is at least familiar with 2 characters (Mag + Sentinel). And Fanatiq isn't known for his godly blocking either but Fanatiq is easily more solid than Joker.

smurfx

get some go again
tumblr_m478xhKXzw1qcr69po1_500.png

Pathetic celebration time! This marks the first time in both versions I get to 8th Lord.

...I BLAME VANILLA'S MATCH MAKING FOR NOT DOING IT BEFORE, ALRIGHT?! D:

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The final element of Joker's team synergy that Justin downloaded was the obvious fact that Iron Man is a legit threat with Drones backing him up so Justin immediately took care of that by snapping in Sentinel (the smart stuff).

Naw I think it's more of Justin taking out the problem characters one-by-one which I'm starting to think is his plan for every team he faces. Justin has shown to hate Magneto so he takes him out first, and out of the 2 characters left Sent has proved to be a scarier character in XF3.

Besides, how is Justin going to download that IM is "scary" with drones if Joker never shows it to him in the first place?

I agree it should have been 10-1 though. Joker's second win was really a lucky one, he was in the process of having Justin's Storm do a 3v1 comeback.

JeTmAn81

you know that one move that hulk does that charges towards you and then gives you an option to do it again? don't charge at me again the 2nd time because i can then throw you out of it or punish you if you don't use your meteor smash hyper. i threw you all day because you didn't charge out of the way the 2nd time. that is one thing i can tell you to change at the very least against haggar. btw wesker can get right under lariat and punish haggar. just be careful to not get hit with his punching hyper. you should probably bait it by just poking him and then wait for the haggar player to use the hyper and then punish after he misses.

Alright, well thanks for the tips. I think there is a mental thing going on when i fight you because i just hit the panic button. I certainly know that Gamma Charge 2nd L is completely punishable, but there's some part of me that needs to get to the other side of the screen ASAP and feels dissatisfied only going halfway.

Alright, well thanks for the tips. I think there is a mental thing going on when i fight you because i just hit the panic button. I certainly know that Gamma Charge 2nd L is completely punishable, but there's some part of me that needs to get to the other side of the screen ASAP and feels dissatisfied only going halfway.
HULK HESITATE
HULK RECONSIDER

Edit:
I think I'm going to mess around with Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom.

SmokeMaxX

What's your team? Gary with Glasses runs Hulk/Sent and he makes gamma charge forward, forward safe with Sent Drones. He used that strategy to beat Knives, Combofiend, and some other top players at Final Round.

Solune

You should play Iron Fist/Spencer/Sentinel!

I fucking hate fighting Dante and Vergil
I was thinking of trying that, it seems Spencer is BFFs with alot of people, Chris, Nova, IF, Doom... I have this thing where, I don't really like to put substituting characters in certain teams and rather just make a unique team. I'm weird like that.

I love Dante/Vergil =D
Make sure you watch grand finals as well.

Also, from the FG weekly thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wnBidC93L3w#t=356s

MarlinPie AG indeed.

The biggest problem with Joker was that he was dumb founded on the Wolverine match up.

Much bigger problem is that Joker just isn't that good of a player. Should anyone actually be surprised that he didn't make top 8 for Toryuken? He didn't make top 8 for T12 either. He's obviously not a bad player either but I never understood why he's in the running for best Magneto when his Magneto is just plain awful and it's his Iron Man that's propping him up.

any spencer users here doing the GX zipline loop? man, that thing has been a pain to learn. spent an hour on it last night and still couldn't pull it off. if i can't get it in another few days (2-2.5 hours of actual practice) i might just scrap it and try a different midscreen bnb.

any spencer users here doing the GX zipline loop? man, that thing has been a pain to learn. spent an hour on it last night and still couldn't pull it off. if i can't get it in another few days (2-2.5 hours of actual practice) i might just scrap it and try a different midscreen bnb.

What loop is that? I don't know the names of combos.

I don't use that but I do cH into the up-forward zipline because it's an easy starter that works as an easy blockstring. I usually go into upgrapple instead of the ziploop, because frankly unless it's a situational thing anything else is a waste of effort. It's always going to be harder and less reward to do anything but upgrapples.

JeTmAn81

What's your team? Gary with Glasses runs Hulk/Sent and he makes gamma charge forward, forward safe with Sent Drones. He used that strategy to beat Knives, Combofiend, and some other top players at Final Round.

Yeah, I know how to do that but I usually find myself unsure on what to do next. Try c.L? Good players will be blocking low anyway and Hulk doesn't have any particularly quick way to get an overhead. So I'm just sitting there, which means I'm left with going for a command grab after stun wears off. Guess I could try that.

Bizazedo

Yeah, I know how to do that but I usually find myself unsure on what to do next. Try c.L? Good players will be blocking low anyway and Hulk doesn't have any particularly quick way to get an overhead. So I'm just sitting there, which means I'm left with going for a command grab after stun wears off. Guess I could try that.

Gamma Charge Up / Gamma Charge down.

Command Grabs.

Standing H, cancel into Gamma Charge Up / Gamma Charge Down.

Cr. L.

Alternate between those four. Call Sentinel if you get pushed back too far.

I don't use that but I do cH into the up-forward zipline because it's an easy starter that works as an easy blockstring. I usually go into upgrapple instead of the ziploop, because frankly unless it's a situational thing anything else is a waste of effort. It's always going to be harder and less reward to do anything but upgrapples.

yeah, the more i was working on it i thought, this is a lot of work and might not be the most reliable.

for midscreen right now im only doing basic stuff:

lmhs-mhs-grapple m otg-d/f zip-relaunch-mmh-zip x3-s-bionic bomber-bionic arm-otg h
sometimes i can get an upgrapple if im positioned correctly on the relaunch, but it isn't reliable.

do you have a no assist midscreen bnb i can borrow from you? right now im using cap (shieldslash)/spencer (slant shot)/sent (drones).

JeTmAn81

Gamma Charge Up / Gamma Charge down.

Command Grabs.

Standing H, cancel into Gamma Charge Up / Gamma Charge Down.

Cr. L.

Alternate between those four. Call Sentinel if you get pushed back too far.

I guess it's really only going to be successful if I have an actual mixup game and the opponent has to guess what I'll try meaning I need to be able to get a command grab out with the right timing. The other stuff I already know how to do. Perhaps I will go into the lab and test that timing, with both drones as well as missiles. I was only playing the Hulk team to counterpick Haggar anyway but I wouldn't mind being better with it.

yeah, the more i was working on it i thought, this is a lot of work and might not be the most reliable.

for midscreen right now im only doing basic stuff:

lmhs-mhs-grapple m otg-d/f zip-relaunch-mmh-zip x3-s-bionic bomber-bionic arm-otg h
sometimes i can get an upgrapple if im positioned correctly on the relaunch, but it isn't reliable.

do you have a no assist midscreen bnb i can borrow from you? right now im using cap (shieldslash)/spencer (slant shot)/sent (drones).

No assist? I guess it'd be cLcMcH xx up-forward zip, jM, MH xx Upgrapple, Air Grapple M, down forward zip jS, S sjc Upgrapple, Bionic Bomber xx Bionic Maneuvers, Air Grapple H

Personally, I play Spencer/Wesker/Magneto, so it usually winds up something like:
jH, MHS, jMMHxx zip, zip zip, S, A1(low shot), HS sjc Upgrapple, Bionic Bomber xx Bionic Maneuvers, Air Grapple H, down forward zip, down back zip, upgrapple xx Bionic Maneuvers, Air Grapple H

Grecco

Seth Killian thinks a "Team Tier list" makes more sense than a character tier list.

Anybody want to take a stab at that ?

It does make more sense, but it's also kind of impossible to make a detailed one tbh. I mean, just think of how many team combinations there are...

Btw, I have a question about the stats in your license. What is "stability" and what makes offense advanced? I'm just curious since those two stats are way bigger on my card than the other three.

Seth Killian thinks a "Team Tier list" makes more sense than a character tier list.

I do not, but he is absolutely correct.

Right now the tiers are something like "ability to perform solo combined with team flexibility".

People say this, but the number of team combinations can be staggering. It gets to a point where it only makes sense to count a certain number while the rest are ignored until tech is discovered which may never even happen. I always figured it would be easier to rate individuals based on what they offer and to build a team that meets specific requirements(DHCs, THCs, alpha counters, assists, inescapable setups, etc) afterwards. Team tier lists should complement single character tier lists. I guess that would work too.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
anyone have a twitch archive link to the justin wong vs joker matches? I missed em live.

SmokeMaxX

For some reason people want to jump away from Hulk. Cr. L catches a LOT of people. If they start blocking low, throw or command grab. They won't contest or they'll (potentially) eat an armored move. If worst comes to worst, cr. l, H xx safe gamma charge pressure.

Dahbomb

What's the worst possible team someone can make? Like if there was a theoretical Team Tier list, what team would be the bottom of the barrel.

Hmm, something with Phoenix Wright on point/anchor, Hsien-ko with Anki Hou assist, and a third low tier character that doesn't compliment the team at all?

What's the worst possible team someone can make? Like if there was a theoretical Team Tier list, what team would be the bottom of the barrel.
X-23/Jill/Chun-li. This team has no hope of hitting anyone in this metagame.

Regarding "shells", I think that it should be based on type, not a particular assist. For example, you listed Dormammu+Magneto, but I think there's a good argument for using Plasma Beam or Bolts of Balthakk over EM Disruptor. They're all beams that have different virtues. Bolts has the most screen control and allows for really strong mix-ups, EM Disruptor is the fastest, and Plasma Beam has the best pushback.

wright/hsienko/suma ?
That's actually a reasonably good team. Often, pairing low tier characters together results in some surprising synergy.

Wright's assists are underrated. Missile is low hitting assist that covers the entire screen. It's basically the only low hitting projectile in the game. You're putting the best "get off me" assist in the game with the character that needs space more than any other, and you want to give Hsien-ko a full screen vertical beam assist.

I've been trying to play 50 games a day minimum since school's out. I think I'm improving, but sometimes I feel like the only reason I win is because nobody protects their assists and I just disruptor them into a 1v2 battle.

Phoenix/Hsien-Ko/Phoenix

It doesn't matter where you put her. None of those characters can build meter for her and they can't do much without some serious preparation. They are also easy as hell to kill. Phoenix would be pissed if she got stuck with those two.

That's actually a reasonably good team. Often, pairing low tier characters together results in some surprising synergy.

Wright's assists are underrated. Missile is low hitting assist that covers the entire screen. It's basically the only low hitting projectile in the game. You're putting the best "get off me" assist in the game with the character that needs space more than any other, and you want to give Hsien-ko a full screen vertical beam assist.

Well, yeah, if you choose the assists that actually give them synergy, it's not a bad team at all, but what if it's that same team but with the completely wrong assists (not missile, not pendulum, not laser)?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Chun-Li would have to be on a "worst team" imo. I can't think of any other character in the game with pretty much no reason to pick. All of the other characters considered to be "bad" have that one redeeming quality that could theoretically be utilized in some specific team setup: better assists, better damage, better something. I think characters that are bad in most aspects but good in at least one are better off than those who are poor at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom