• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I don't get the appeal. He just looks like a younger Oni. Capcom needs some off the wall characters that aren't based off stereotypes.

More Vipers and Ruby Hearts. Less Asuras and Rufus.

Agreed, but there is no way they'll not put Asura in a fighter with the buildup he's gotten vs Ryu and Akuma in his own game now. Remember though you can never be more off the wall than the game Godhand ;)

Starts crying...

I'll say this though. I like the air fireballs he has similar to Akuma in that alongside of his spinning lariat. Seems like he'd be fun to use as a pretty well rounded guy.

shaowebb

I've barely touched this game in forever but I put in a little lab time today. I'm starting to learn Mags.

Remember to pull dead cast after you kill em with that new magnetic move of his for the free FU to guys expecting to block the opposite direction. Free mixup as you wall them between your assist and Magneto :D (I love this tech so much from vids)

Azure J

Magnus side switch tech is so fucking fun I swear. Also, nothing like getting someone playing the full team anime and knowing what should be done with Vergil anchor to salty quit because "herp derp Phoenix is dumb". Caught the most glorious happy birthday and turned the game into an intense footsies and read game only to turn it around with plain ass Jean one time and opened up the entire team as JEEEEEEAN with one forward M overhead.

I really love ax kicks in fighting games. :lol

Next to Hsien-Ko and Nemesis, I'd say Akuma is the most expendable in the cast of characters that should be replaced.

Darkstalkers in their prime are more Mahvel than most Mahvel characters, so a resounding no to this. Add more of them and make sure they're just as batshit insane in a MVC4 as they are in all of their source material.

Since Captain Commando was out, I kept hoping that Akuma would get his "Corridor" hyper from an older game (I forget which) as a special so I could keep a Dormammu/Sentinel/"Captain Commando" team going.

I'm still waiting. :-/

Kongou Kokuretsu Zan? It's from Third Strike and thinking about it now, that would have made for an amazing hyper.

I don't get the appeal. He just looks like a younger Oni. Capcom needs some off the wall characters that aren't based off stereotypes.

More Vipers and Ruby Hearts. Less Asuras and Rufus.

Mmm, Ruby Heart. Sonson should come along too for top tier trolling. Running around the borders of the screen would be hilarious. :lol

Agreed.
More BoF2 Ninas!

Being really honest, I'm going to start playing some Breath of Fire just to further see what I think of this. After trying Strange and realizing he's not exactly what I wanted from a magic type fighter and still having that itch needing to be scratched, I'm totally down to see alternates that'd make me go "whoa".

Going strictly on design though, I kinda like BoF3 Nina a bit more.Then again, that might just be art style more than actual design. :p

Remember to pull dead cast after you kill em with that new magnetic move of his for the free FU to guys expecting to block the opposite direction. Free mixup as you wall them between your assist and Magneto :D (I love this tech so much from vids)

I'll remember that!

This is my first time doing fly combos with anyone, so it's taking some getting used to. I'm learning though!

Azure J

It's official, the Dante solo full screen BnB works on everyone I've tried while dealing more damage and putting them into the corner for shenanigans. I had to alter an input to get the most out of it, but it works pretty damn well so far:

M - H - Stinger - BC Volcano - j.H - Air Play - j.H - *land* - c.H (one hit) - S - j.M - j.H - Killer Bee - *backdash* S - Up Shots [Shot loops can be use if wanted, but I don't recommend going wild with the reps] - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancel Teleport if you're not near the corner] - Hammer or Sky Dance and their followups.

Edit: Of course, of all the characters this could not work on, Vergil is the anomaly. -_-

Assists can be applied at any point in these for really crazy shit. Speaking of assists, something I noticed while experimenting with the new Dante shells I have, I really had a novice mindset regarding how to properly use my assists. The setup I had in Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira) works, I just needed to play more patient and not always want a way in. I guess after playing so many matches with someone who got rewarded for that "wants in always" mentality (flying around with Zero lightning & buster is just ughhh), I wanted to see what it was like and got me a beam for telederping around.

What I should be doing is creating more block strings while calling Cold Shots, teleporting then opening the person up for combos and using Vajira sparringly with dash unders or calls before I let off a on point Jam Session. It's funny though, if I didn't play these alt shells, I probably wouldn't have gotten the idea for the plan like I did tonight.

So apparently X-23's Weapon X hyper or whatever it's called where she dashes towards you is more invincible than Mach Speed...even if she does it first by several moments.

shaowebb

Asura sucks. There. All there is to it.

Give us Seth in Mahvel. That should be fun.

I liked the thought of Asura in Marvel someday for the move list he'd have :C
Not going to belittle you for Seth though. I've said it a few times and I stand by the idea that he'd be great fun in Marvel. Teleports, pokes, grabs, air shenanigans, spacing fireballs, push/pull...so much potential.

Kind of a lot of SF representation though. BoF, Powerstone, Rival Schools, Onimusha, Godhand, and MM still need representation so I'd feel chill with them getting in first. Course this is a fantasy "MVC4" were talking about though right? In that case chopping block off some cast and add some folks in. I'd be willing to sack a good chunk of cast to see MVC4 feel like a new ballgame next go round just like with MVC3. It adds a lot of excitement when the whole roster gets turned on its ear like that as folks try to figure out new teams and such. Though I stand by the idea of fixing Iron Fist rather than ditching him. Not just because he's my guy, but because he's a damned fine Rekka character who is a tool or so away from being one of the best Rushdown characters you could ever want on a team. I feel the same on several other cast too like Hsien Ko, Wright, and a few others that had problems gimp them out of being good.

Bizazedo

Great Games as always, Sasa.

I was thinking afterwards, though, and think you need to vary your incoming mix ups a bit more. At one point it was *always* spider sting, web zip down, call Hawkeye, try and mix up, and I was able to push block the attack after web zip with a chicken block, use the push block to stay in the air to avoid the arrows, and catch you with jumping H on the way down and begin Nova.

Basically, you conditioned me to be terrorized by Spider Sting, but didn't take advantage of it :).

Great Games as always, Sasa.

I was thinking afterwards, though, and think you need to vary your incoming mix ups a bit more. At one point it was *always* spider sting, web zip down, call Hawkeye, try and mix up, and I was able to push block the attack after web zip with a chicken block, use the push block to stay in the air to avoid the arrows, and catch you with jumping H on the way down and begin Nova.

Basically, you conditioned me to be terrorized by Spider Sting, but didn't take advantage of it :).

Yeah definitely could see it getting stale because if I'd kill Zero, Nova would usually just kill Spider-Man :lol

Gonna see what I can come up with. GG's as always. Can't keep relying on Scumbag-23 to bail me out.

Dammit, I'm not in San Fran for a couple weeks -_-
You're supposed to be my lobbyist! :-(

Magnus side switch tech is so fucking fun I swear. Also, nothing like getting someone playing the full team anime and knowing what should be done with Vergil anchor to salty quit because "herp derp Phoenix is dumb". Caught the most glorious happy birthday and turned the game into an intense footsies and read game only to turn it around with plain ass Jean one time and opened up the entire team as JEEEEEEAN with one forward M overhead.
I really want to see you play sometime. You come up with good stuff, and it sounds like you have good execution. You're 360 only, right?

Darkstalkers in their prime are more Mahvel than most Mahvel characters, so a resounding no to this. Add more of them and make sure they're just as batshit insane in a MVC4 as they are in all of their source material.
Personally, instead of getting a Darkstalkers game, I fantacize about them just making a Marvel expansion of all Darkstalkers characters. In fact, I think Capcom should make nothing but Marvel expansions from here on out, giving us hundreds of characters...

Kongou Kokuretsu Zan? It's from Third Strike and thinking about it now, that would have made for an amazing hyper.[/quote]
That's the one! I want it as an assist, though. :p

Being really honest, I'm going to start playing some Breath of Fire just to further see what I think of this. After trying Strange and realizing he's not exactly what I wanted from a magic type fighter and still having that itch needing to be scratched, I'm totally down to see alternates that'd make me go "whoa".
The neat thing about the Breath of Fire series is that all of the games have an interconnected, overarching plotline that isn't explicitly told but that you can see if you really pay attention. I don't think any other JRPG has done this, in the sense that most are either sequels where the connections are obvious or they take place in newly developed worlds. Breath of Fire worlds are always the consequence of the last game's plot, but it's so subtle that you can overlook it entirely.

I think Nina would make everyone go "woah" if they used my moveset...

Going strictly on design though, I kinda like BoF3 Nina a bit more.Then again, that might just be art style more than actual design. :p
The weird thing about Nina is that she gets lolified more and more as the games go on. It's one of the biggest crimes in gaming history. This...thing is BoFV Nina:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/_...ages/thumb/3/37/NinaBF5.jpg/479px-NinaBF5.jpg

I won't even image it so people might spare their eyes.

gill is made for marvel. plus i don't want to deal with another teleport character.
Not just another teleporter, but a teleporter with command grabs that would no doubt be comboable in Marvel.

Seth is definitely Marvel material, but I honestly don't know if I'd want him over other characters. I'd rather get a Mahvel-ized Ibuki or Makoto first tbh.

I really want to see you play sometime. You come up with good stuff, and it sounds like you have good execution. You're 360 only, right?

He is, 360 Silver though IIRC. I want to play Jeri some time too, though my interest is more in trying to get some payback from the Brawl days xD

Bizazedo

Yeah definitely could see it getting stale because if I'd kill Zero, Nova would usually just kill Spider-Man :lol

Gonna see what I can come up with. GG's as always. Can't keep relying on Scumbag-23 to bail me out.

Can you criticize any of my guys? I have improved, imo anyways, since we started playing, but always need more. One thing I noticed is in one situation when I have you cornered with Nova on entry, I predictably go for an overhead in some sequences. Got me killed a few times.

I actually think my Wesker is finally getting stronger due to blowing XF2 on Nova / playing him as point on a separate team, so playing him without XF3 is educational, but I dunno.

I was psyched I got to see if I could time the lvl 3 with Wesker on X23 after Gravimetric Blaster, though :).

And then you later demonstrated something similar with Hawkeye hyper into Dirt Nap, which was hysterical.

But you did it twice and I did mine only once :(.

He is, 360 Silver though IIRC. I want to play Jeri some time too, though my interest is more in trying to get some payback from the Brawl days xD

BOO. On a separate XBL tag I have, it's offering me a month for $2. Lets go, Jeri, meet us :).

Can you criticize any of my guys? I have improved, imo anyways, since we started playing, but always need more. One thing I noticed is in one situation when I have you cornered with Nova on entry, I predictably go for an overhead in some sequences. Got me killed a few times.

I actually think my Wesker is finally getting stronger due to blowing XF2 on Nova / playing him as point on a separate team, so playing him without XF3 is educational, but I dunno.

I was psyched I got to see if I could time the lvl 3 with Wesker on X23 after Gravimetric Blaster, though :).

And then you later demonstrated something similar with Hawkeye hyper into Dirt Nap, which was hysterical.

But you did it twice and I did mine only once :(.

Against your Zero, I had the most success when you did an improperly spaced Buster xx Lightning at around the normal jump level that would cross me up but not have me block the lightning. Gotta be careful that, especially around X-23 due to her small crouching hurtbox, whom you would snap in to fight Zero sometimes.

Other than that, lame game against Spidey using Zero is the way to go. I can't really come towards you unless I'm above him if Buster is charged -- I only have a 2.5 second window while your charging to make something happen from below really. Staying higher than him is key to keeping him at bay and you do a good job of it usually.

Nova, your use of Human Rocket is pretty solid. Gonna look out for it more, especially since you're consistently comboing off of it now. Otherwise, doing pretty good. Against X-23, any time I do the horizontal talon dive, I'd back off and try to throw the recovery with Nova's ridiculous throw range -- the hitbox isn't TOO extended on it. And you already mentioned the overheads, which are a little more dangerous while X-23 is chicken blocking since there's no height restriction on a very sharp L Talon Dive.

Not too much to say about Wesker -- you're playing those matchups pretty much as well as he can imo. Could've ended it earlier a couple times with a raw Phantom Dance but that's about it. I think Spidey and X-23 are some of his harder matchups honestly.

Azure J

First off, I'm totally flattered at this, but being realistic, I'm definitely more theory than I am application (currently). This is the first fighter I've gone in full on and as such, I'm pretty much trying to play catch up to guys with years more experience, even at a casual level. Nowadays, I'm just trying to add to the discussions in here with little beginner level things I notice instead of playing dedicated stream monster/ordinary guy here. Regarding my play, I think it's mostly because I'm still trying to get comfortable with single portions of the game at a time, but if you saw the kinds of things I fall for and my lack of composure at a moment's notice, you'd probably think otherwise. :p

Admittedly though, that might be more because my competition is static and very often documented as troublesome to deal with IRL. I want to go to Next Level sometime in the future though, it's about a 20 - 30 minute train ride from where I am in Brooklyn, but I'm shy. :lol

As for system, 360 only. I swear, that system is like a dedicated Mahvel box more than anything else at current.

Personally, instead of getting a Darkstalkers game, I fantacize about them just making a Marvel expansion of all Darkstalkers characters. In fact, I think Capcom should make nothing but Marvel expansions from here on out, giving us hundreds of characters...

As much as the thread probably gets tired of hearing about it, I'd totally be down for a shitton of character DLC from both sides if they said it's expansion time. Pick ten from both sides and call it a day. I still believe in Megaman X, Gene, & a good Spidey villain! :lol

The neat thing about the Breath of Fire series is that all of the games have an interconnected, overarching plotline that isn't explicitly told but that you can see if you really pay attention. I don't think any other JRPG has done this, in the sense that most are either sequels where the connections are obvious or they take place in newly developed worlds. Breath of Fire worlds are always the consequence of the last game's plot, but it's so subtle that you can overlook it entirely.

I think Nina would make everyone go "woah" if they used my moveset...

Yeah, I'll have to make it a priority to play this series. I love subtitles in world building.

The weird thing about Nina is that she gets lolified more and more as the games go on. It's one of the biggest crimes in gaming history. This...thing is BoFV Nina:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/_...ages/thumb/3/37/NinaBF5.jpg/479px-NinaBF5.jpg

Whoa... That is bad, especially after 3 & 4's art.

Seth is definitely Marvel material, but I honestly don't know if I'd want him over other characters. I'd rather get a Mahvel-ized Ibuki or Makoto first tbh.

You guys are going to make me post a Makoto moveset along with that idea I had for Ibuki now, aren't you?

Makoto

- Cannot wave dash, meant as a slow and imposing "bulldozer" character with scare factor thanks to her insane fast dash.
- 875K ~ 1M health
- She's all about knockdowns both in design and inspiration, so expect a lot of moves with knockdown. :p

- f.M - Back Kick - Nothing special, just her f.mk from the games. Can be linked into her c.H which shares its animation with her s.hk from the games.

- f.H - Trip Kick - A slow start up, walk-up sweep kick that hits low and knocks down. Can't be canceled by anything other than (Hypers or) X-Factor. Makes for good setups when paired with a lockdown assist.

- Mash H - Triple Punch - She takes a step forward and throws out three punches with significant hitstun. Spacing move.

- S - Animation is that of her s.LK from Third Strike/SSFIV.

QCF + ATK - Hayate (Rush Punch)

Works as always, she travels straight forward a certain distance for a rush punch. This can be charged by holding the ATK input (charged will always do soft knockdown) feinted with S. QCF+S version works like the EX version. She charges forward and wall bouncing an opponent on hit. Move has 3 hits of super armor or total invincibility on initial startup. Players can hold the S for a short time (like one or two frames beyond a feint input) to have her fire an "invisible" punch forward. (Weaker in damage by a few percent; persistent minor annoyances for neutral game's sake, except the S version.) This move has the same properties distance or EX wise depending on the button used for start up. Air OK. Can juggle in the corner.

QCB + ATK - Oroshi (Karate Chop)

All versions OTG. L version is safe on block, M version staggers a standing opponent, H version deals hard knockdown to a standing opponent. S version is projectile invincible for start up. All three deal hard knockdown to an opponent caught from the air. Can be jump cancelled. ( ;) )

DP + ATK - Fukiage (Up Punch)

Punch strength determines distance traveled before throwing a punch upward. S version causes soft knockdown (ceiling bounce for dramatic effect). Can be jump cancelled. Hitbox is Mahvel'd up to hit opponents standing near herself.

QCB + ATK - Tsurugi (Ax Kick)

L version is fastest, has no additional properties to its Third Strike/SFIV incarnation (good for juggles), M hits harder and does soft knockdown/staggers grounded opponents, H has highest start up but does hard knockdown. S version is the EX version, has instant start up and hits twice for hard knockdown on a grounded opponent and soft knockdown on an aerial opponent.

RDP + ATK - Karakusa (Choke Grab)

Command Grab. Works as always. S version has one hit of armor.

Lvl. 1 Hyper - Abare Tosanami

Sends her flying at a set angle towards the side of the screen she's facing. Can be linked off a Hayate on hit (distance dependent) or Hayate projectile. Very unsafe on block. Can combo afterwards however.

Lvl. 1 Hyper - Tanden Renki

Boosts her damage considerably and speed moderately for similar time as install hypers like Devil Trigger or Berserker Charge. Stat value changes carry over to her assists. Cannot build meter in this mode.

Lvl. 3 Hyper - Seichusen Godanzuki

Has the shortest range, but instant startup after super flash. After pummeling the opponent she launches them into the air. Maintaining the stance, she announces the name of the finisher as the character falls back down limp on the ground in an explosion of rubble in the distance behind herself.

I'll do Ibuki if you guys enjoyed this one. :p

Which reminds me, I haven't played Smash in ages. Here's hoping Smash 4's online community is strong from the get go and the online is better than better for it. :p

LakeEarth

You have to give her something that is totally and utterly bullshit. Her axe kick has to have a wicked hitbox and cause major stagger, her hayates should be insanely jugglable in the corner. Oroshi should OTG.

First off, I'm totally flattered at this, but being realistic, I'm definitely more theory than I am application (currently). This is the first fighter I've gone in full on and as such, I'm pretty much trying to play catch up to guys with years more experience, even at a casual level. Nowadays, I'm just trying to add to the discussions in here with little beginner level things I notice instead of playing dedicated stream monster/ordinary guy here. Regarding my play, I think it's mostly because I'm still trying to get comfortable with single portions of the game at a time, but if you saw the kinds of things I fall for and my lack of composure at a moment's notice, you'd probably think otherwise. :p

Admittedly though, that might be more because my competition is static and very often documented as troublesome to deal with IRL. I want to go to Next Level sometime in the future though, it's about a 20 - 30 minute train ride from where I am in Brooklyn, but I'm shy. :lol

As for system, 360 only. I swear, that system is like a dedicated Mahvel box more than anything else at current.
I know what you mean. I'm selling my 360 just because I never use it. Not to go all system war on the thread, but it just doesn't have anything that appeals to me. I got it in a trade to my brother-in-law for an old computer because he needed one for school, and his brother was a car repo guy. They would just steal whatever out of any cars they repo'd, and then claim there was nothing in them to begin with. I don't regret having it though, because I got the full Bayonetta experience.

If the WiiU gets fighting games concurrently with the 720/PS4, the communities will be even more split...

As much as the thread probably gets tired of hearing about it, I'd totally be down for a shitton of character DLC from both sides if they said it's expansion time. Pick ten from both sides and call it a day. I still believe in Megaman X, Gene, & a good Spidey villain! :lol
I never get tired of dreaming about DLC/expansions. I spent all day thinking about how I were rich, I'd approach Capcom and say "Here's $10 million. Let me direct another Marvel expansion and choose all the characters on Capcom's side, as well as be the negotiator with Marvel." I wouldn't even give a damn about what other people wanted, I'd just make it 10-20 characters I want to use.

Realistically, I don't have 20 characters I'd want in at this point, so I'd do a lot of favorites from friends that would normally have no chance. I'd also put Classic Megaman in over X, and both Venom and Carnage.

Yeah, I'll have to make it a priority to play this series. I love subtitles in world building.
Make sure to let me know how you like it. I might give the series a full replay one day.

Whoa... That is bad, especially after 3 & 4's art.
BoFIV was really the downfall of the series, and V was just the nail in the coffin. It was typical crap where Capcom thinks people lost interest in the series, but really they just lost touch with the series. BoFII Nina is a quiet, serene and graceful woman, whereas BoFV Nina is a whiney little kid that won't ever shut up.
And she has no boobs.
One of the recurring characters in the series returns as a tin-bodied robot in BoFIV for no reason at all, and it seems like they completely forgot to develop character background. All of the charm was gone. So, I recommend playing I-III, and then only playing IV and V to see what made it all fall apart.

Which reminds me, I haven't played Smash in ages. Here's hoping Smash 4's online community is strong from the get go and the online is better than better for it. :p
I bought a Wii just for Smash, and I'll buy a WiiU just for Smash. I just need to know that the online won't be ass, because it's all I have.

I'm only familiar with BoFV and BoF3 Nina. How different is BoF2 Nina, and what is your moveset?
I never turn down an excuse to post this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30577516&postcount=12480

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You're supposed to be my lobbyist! :-(

Not just another teleporter, but a teleporter with command grabs that would no doubt be comboable in Marvel.

I hate BOF5 Nina.

What is our prediction on Niitsuma's next project?

Azure J

You have to give her something that is totally and utterly bullshit. Her axe kick has to have a wicked hitbox and cause major stagger, her hayates should be insanely jugglable in the corner. Oroshi should OTG.

Oh wow, I didn't notice I didn't put this here. Noted. :)

As for the Ax Kick, I was so tempted to give it complete invincibility for the EX version, but that'd be like speeding up Vanilla Dante's hammer and having a character that could combo off it in an almost braindead manner. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are you attending EVO this year again and will you be doing a panel? — Toshin

Svensson: I'm looking forward to EVO again this year. I've already booked a flight and a room. We'll have some things there to talk about and we had some meetings a couple weeks ago on what we'd be doing as far as activities go. I hesitate to share as I'm not sure they're fully baked/finalized with the EVO management yet, so I'm going to have to keep you in suspense for now.

Why has Capcom given up on Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3? — Marcus

Svensson: We're happy and thrilled that folks love Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and we would expect it to have a vibrant competitive scene for years to come. We agree that it is a great game but that team is already working on, "new things that I can't talk about (tm)", which was always the plan after UMvC3 Vita.

Namco Bandai is offering free DLC characters with Tekken Tag Tournament 2, that's awesome. Capcom could learn from this. — Final_Fight_Forever

Svensson: Noted.

Is there any chance of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on Android? — Covert-141

Svensson: Unlikely unfortunately. We were only planning that for iOS.
Via EventHubs. Just in case you needed more nails in the coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom