• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

So I'm working on Dante Grapple resets and thinking about atypical or unusual setups that can come from using assists that aren't necessarily high/lows. Right now, I'm thinking that Grapple after a wall bounce then calling Amaterasu for Cold Shots lockdown/fuzzy guard could lead to some fun stuff. What say you better players?

So I'm working on Dante Grapple resets and thinking about atypical or unusual setups that can come from using assists that aren't necessarily high/lows. Right now, I'm thinking that Grapple after a wall bounce then calling Amaterasu for Cold Shots lockdown/fuzzy guard could lead to some fun stuff. What say you better players?
I am going to give it a shot with Dark Hole.

smurfx

get some go again
hahaha i knew spencer would do more damage from a dhc even though his hyper also does 250k like gimlet and it also counts as 1 hit. his does about 125k from a dhc which is what i wish gimlet would always get. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FGTV is doing a lowest damage, no X-Factor 16-man invitational right now.

Matches are happening on all the FGTV streams at once. Link. 2/3 I believe, but they're obviously longer matches so it's more acceptable.

So I'm interested in learning Doctor Strange, but I don't know the first thing about him.

Like, what are some easy to intermediate BnB's for him?

What kind of team does he need?

Do I have to know how to fly/unfly in order to use him effectively?

Any tips, hints, and advice are welcome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was hoping to use this in the final few matches on the UFGT8 stream, but the occasion never came. But here it is in case of Zero destruction:

ibs8nefrlguD61.gif

So I'm interested in learning Doctor Strange, but I don't know the first thing about him.

Like, what are some easy to intermediate BnB's for him?

What kind of team does he need?

Do I have to know how to fly/unfly in order to use him effectively?

Any tips, hints, and advice are welcome.
Easiest combo IMO is doing c.LMHS, sj.MMH, f.H, j.MMH, f.H, j.MMH, f.H, s.H, f.H, s.S, sj.MMH, f.H, sj.S, qcf.M, qcf.AA unless you just want to do ABC stuff.

Dr. Strange really needs a good assist to either help him establish defense or maintain offense. He's pretty weak out there alone.

You only need fly/unfly stuff for really advanced corner combos.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
hahaha i knew spencer would do more damage from a dhc even though his hyper also does 250k like gimlet and it also counts as 1 hit. his does about 125k from a dhc which is what i wish gimlet would always get. :(
You whine so much.

Easiest combo IMO is doing c.LMHS, sj.MMH, f.H, j.MMH, f.H, j.MMH, f.H, s.H, f.H, s.S, sj.MMH, f.H, sj.S, qcf.M, qcf.AA unless you just want to do ABC stuff.

Dr. Strange really needs a good assist to either help him establish defense or maintain offense. He's pretty weak out there alone.

You only need fly/unfly stuff for really advanced corner combos.

Well, the characters I tend to do pretty well with are Chris, Spencer, Frank, Captain America, Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Wesker, Haggar, and Akuma.

Would any of them fit on a team with Strange?

shaowebb

I dorked around with Iron Fist a little offline and on a whim popped in two high tier guys. I'd been trying to find someone I liked with Iron Fist and Tasky (using his arrows for lockdown) and for shits I popped in Vergil.

God. Damn.

One IF combo DHC into spiral swords. Juggle to death any character with dealers choice of Vergil bullshit shenanigans. I know nothing of how to use the character at all, but I can see some potential here as Iron Fist can easily generate enough meter to do this everytime. I'm thinking rapid slash assist might be useful and Iron Fist is on the kick to try and fish for more wallbounces to setup more spiral swords.

I'd like to keep taskmaster on this team so I only got to try to learn vergil, but if rapid slash works out I guess I don't need tasky on the same kind of assist and can switch to like parabolic or vertical shot to mess with air dudes.

Whats the verdict theory gaf? Decent plan for Iron Fist or not so far? Any ideas or pointers here would be welcome as I don't play top tier guys and know nothing of this Vergil character.

Well, the characters I tend to do pretty well with are Chris, Spencer, Frank, Captain America, Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Wesker, Haggar, and Akuma.

Would any of them fit on a team with Strange?
A lot of Dr. Strange players on SRK love Hawkeye. Good DHC and assist synergy. With those two you have two potential projectile assists, so I think your third can be really flexible. Most Strange players like to put him second, so keep that in consideration. Playing him on point is like playing Dormammu on point but without an air dash or teleport (since Strange's teleport is not safe for getting away). It's a frustrating experience to say the least.

I dorked around with Iron Fist a little offline and on a whim popped in two high tier guys. I'd been trying to find someone I liked with Iron Fist and Tasky (using his arrows for lockdown) and for shits I popped in Vergil.

God. Damn.

One IF combo DHC into spiral swords. Juggle to death any character with dealers choice of Vergil bullshit shenanigans. I know nothing of how to use the character at all, but I can see some potential here as Iron Fist can easily generate enough meter to do this everytime. I'm thinking rapid slash assist might be useful and Iron Fist is on the kick to try and fish for more wallbounces to setup more spiral swords.

I'd like to keep taskmaster on this team so I only got to try to learn vergil, but if rapid slash works out I guess I don't need tasky on the same kind of assist and can switch to like parabolic or vertical shot to mess with air dudes.

Whats the verdict theory gaf? Decent plan for Iron Fist or not so far? Any ideas or pointers here would be welcome as I don't play top tier guys and know nothing of this Vergil character.
Just follow Justin Wong's formula: pick a character you like and two top tiers.

smurfx

get some go again
You guys should start picking the better brother. Dante swag for life.
somebody will go to some major and tear shit up and then everybody will be back on the dante bandwagon. if one thing is predictable about this game is how predictable all the bandwagon jumpers are.

shaowebb

I tried to play Dante but his smarmy attitude just made him so irritating to me both in this game and in his. I just can't get behind the character no matter how he plays. Vergil is just a general angsty guy though so he's tolerable enough to not give a crap about. His pokes feel good and I know he's a legit character to use from all the polls and lists people post.

I like how if I use his assists with Iron Fist I can push people into the corner where Iron Fist really scares people with those really hard to react to overhead mixups. I just gotta watch though because if I call Vergil stupidly he will die and if I don't position myself with maybe a dash or something before he comes out they tend to push too far away to do anything with off a hit unless he corners them. Taskmaster works good with Iron Fist though. I gotta try learning Vergil though for the fun DHC stuff and for the fact that he may just help pin people to the corner for Iron Fist to apply pressure.

Any ideas for setups or anything I can try running using Iron Fist/Vergil/Taskmaster ? You guys see any setup potential using these or am I really just looking for DHC's and cornering with this and still lacking mixup potential here?

Solune

Ok, so how does the team of Chris (Gun Fire)/Strange (EoA)/Hawkeye (Greyhound) sound?

I used to play Chris with Ghost Rider and Strange (LOL) . But yah I really find Chris with EoA incredibly solid. It's great for both his defensive options and combo extension. I'd have kept Strange but I'm so ass with him. Sounds like a decent team to me, good THC / DHC synergy.

--

In other news, got my meterless damage with Vergil up to 700k without using the rawtag into Spencer, but it involves using the roundtrip glitch. So good though.

GatorBait

For the love of all that is good in the world, please have a Taskmaster assist me next.

Wow, after watching the latest Assist Me, I gotta say Maximilian is doing an excellent job. Its really amazing how much work he puts into it.

Quality has definitely gone up. Most noticeably, the writing has gotten better over time. I was really impressed with the Phoenix episode.

For the love of all that is good in the world, please have a Taskmaster assist me next.

Unless I'm mistaken, Taskmaster's real name is mentioned in that teaser video.

Vice

You sure? From what I hear, Strange isn't a very good anchor.

You can change Strange to the middle. Bolts is probably going to be your go to assist for strange but the other two have uses especially against midget characters.

Haggar/Strange/Task should work pretty well too.

Wow, after watching the latest Assist Me, I gotta say Maximilian is doing an excellent job. Its really amazing how much work he puts into it.
Exactly the character I was thinking of when I was watching the Phoenix assist me episode today.

You can change Strange to the middle. Bolts is probably going to be your go to assist for strange but the other two have uses especially against midget characters.

Haggar/Strange/Task should work pretty well too.

What should Strange's assist be for the Haggar team?

Vice

Bolts or Eye.

Eye lets you extend combos and lets you do some sick combos, it makes Haggar even scarier. If you have Task on arrows I think that covers your horizontal assist needs enough. Bolts also whiffs on a good chunk of the cast so you'll have to learn how to play with Eye assist as well.

sephi22

"If you fail to prepare, you're prepared to fail" - Fanatiq

Fanatiq going in on CJ Toiletstoppa on FGTV
http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive

Bolts or Eye.
Bolts uses up your ground bounce during relaunch.

After air MMHS, you need to do cr.H + Bolts call, f+H (First bolt hits, then pipe hits into ground bounce), light Hoodlum launcher (second bolt hits), continue.

If you use Eye, you might be able to save the ground bounce for later, but it would scale your combos more

GatorBait

Considering the trophies being given out at UFGT8, I did a little bit of reading on the infinity gauntlet and the infinity gems. My number one choice for most wanted character in MvC4 is now a brand-new Thanos with the infinity gauntlet. I know he was in past Marvel games, but his move set and play style could be really imaginative if he was redesigned without regard for his previous iteration.

smurfx

get some go again
i still really want to see blade make it into the game from the marvel side. from capcom i want that bof 3 ryu.

Grecco

I still need to figure out a team and stick with it. Its getting ridiculous. I just end up getting my butt handed to with the rest of my friends who play this game. Ive even considered running Zero/Dante and trying to learn Dante again :/

Considering the trophies being given out at UFGT8, I did a little bit of reading on the infinity gauntlet and the infinity gems. My number one choice for most wanted character in MvC4 is now a brand-new Thanos with the infinity gauntlet. I know he was in past Marvel games, but his move set and play style could be really imaginative if he was redesigned without regard for his previous iteration.

He'd probably only have 4 hyper combos, unless they pulled a Taskmaster with him and gave him different hypers depending on which two buttons you press. You could get 6 hypers with that, but I personally don't like that. Would still be kinda cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom