• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back, I'm still on time for the Marvel finals on UFGT, right?

Speaking of which, what are some things I missed that I should look for in the archives?

I'm back, I'm still on time for the Marvel finals on UFGT, right?

Speaking of which, what are some things I missed that I should look for in the archives?
Skullgirls 8->4
Skullgirls top 4

UMvC3 8->4
UMvC3 top 4

AE top 8

UMvC3 top 32 had some eventful stuff. You are hispanic like me, right? Go ahead and watch the KOF top 8. It's the BEST GAME EVAR(hint:volleyball).

Yipes tier list:
27_yipestier01.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
For the love of everything, will people STOP playing Wesker as anchor, especially against someone with a team like Chris G. It does n o t work.

Dahbomb

For the love of everything, will people STOP playing Wesker as anchor, especially against someone with a team like Chris G. It does n o t work.
Of course it doesn't work but if you prepared your entire Marvel tournament career on 3 characters in a particular order then what else can you do? Put Spider Man on anchor?

To be honest Wesker probably got him this far in the tournament.

Frantic

I watch Bright get destroyed by Chris G and see my future.
Haha, yeah... you definitely need some sort of neutral assist to go up against that team.

My team should theoretically do really well against Morri/Doom, but ChrisG's fundamentals are so solid I'd probably be demolished
(outside of some Strider XF3 derp :p)

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure ChrisG destroyed all sorts of team constructions, characters and "counter picks".

Vergil, Zero, Wolverine, Storm, Dormammu, Spider Man, Morrigan, Strange, Joe, Phoenix, Hawkeye, Doom, Akuma, Nova, Arthur, Strider Taskmaster, Wesker etc. Didn't see him run into Dante, Skrull, Amaterasu, Spencer, Firebrand, MODOK (did he play Royal Flush?) and Viper but I am sure he has those characters on lock too. That pretty makes the entire top tier and some characters from high/mid tier.

Any time he senses a threat at the start of the round, he puts Akuma on front. Which works because Akuma with Doom is still extremely powerful and shuts down a lot of rushdown tactics. A lot of people actually took out Morrigan thinking they got the game only to get curb stomped by either Doom or Akuma.

Yeah, having Wesker on anchor was a problem, but it's another problem that Wesker couldn't be anywhere else on that team. He doesn't have as much synergy with Spiderman as Dorm to go second, and if he goes first then you leave Spiderman without his assist :/

These grand finals made me wonder, how would my Nova/Frank/RR team do against a Morrigan team? I was thinking that log could clear most of the screen while being a threat of its own if Rocket doesn't get hit, but I dunno how well that would work :S

I am pretty sure ChrisG destroyed all sorts of team constructions, characters and "counter picks".

Vergil, Zero, Wolverine, Storm, Dormammu, Spider Man, Morrigan, Strange, Joe, Phoenix, Hawkeye, Doom, Akuma, Nova, Arthur, Strider Taskmaster, Wesker etc. Didn't see him run into Dante, Skrull, Amaterasu, Spencer, Firebrand, MODOK (did he play Royal Flush?) and Viper but I am sure he has those characters on lock too. That pretty makes the entire top tier and some characters from high/mid tier.

Any time he senses a threat at the start of the round, he puts Akuma on front. Which works because Akuma with Doom is still extremely powerful and shuts down a lot of rushdown tactics. A lot of people actually took out Morrigan thinking they got the game only to get curb stomped by either Doom or Akuma.

He's timing fireballs better, too. He leaves a little pause when missiles are off screen so they try to jump into it. He wasn't doing that before.

These grand finals made me wonder, how would my Nova/Frank/RR team do against a Morrigan team? I was thinking that log could clear most of the screen while being a threat of its own if Rocket doesn't get hit, but I dunno how well that would work :S

Log isn't a good assist to try and deal with Morrigan's zoning. If it hits a fireball, then it gets negated entirely and will sail past her, doing nothing.

shaowebb

Hey guys...um...how do you feel about another fighting game? Like a sequel to a series that isn't Capcom? Because we're all about to get one.

Guilty Gear is back.
You can discuss it in the thread for it, but I felt I should throw this here to make certain you all saw it as it just got posted in the past 30 minutes.

Curious how this will go over in tourneys because weren't Guilty Gear players not showing up for their sets or something at one point? Isn't Marn a big Guilty Gear guy? Think he'll drop Marvel once this comes out?

I still don't know how to feel about this game but I want to improve, so I'm going to ask for a few tips Mahvel Gaf.

First, a problem I have is team composition. I've messed around with Wesker, Dr. Doom, Vergil, Magneto, and Dormammu. I think I want to run Dorm, Doom, and Magneto. But what should I do for team order. I've read that Dorm would make a good point character because he can battery. I also hear that Doom is an ass anchor and that Mag's is good with xfactor level 3. So should the order be: Dorm, Doom, Magneto?

Next thing I have trouble with is team synergy. What assists do you think I should run with this team and what can I do to improve things like DHC synergy?

I think my biggest problem might be is I don't know how to practice getting better at this game in the lab. How do you guys practice when you are in training mode? What I was thinking is that I learn how to to get movement down with my characters since it's so crucial in this game. But how do you guys practice combos? I don't know what combos I should go to since there are so many for each character and plus it seems like the go on forever.

Sorry for the long post, but a few tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: Interested in Guilty Gear, but I feel like I'm waaaay too late to jump in right now. I wonder who would fit my style?

I still don't know how to feel about this game but I want to improve, so I'm going to ask for a few tips Mahvel Gaf.

First, a problem I have is team composition. I've messed around with Wesker, Dr. Doom, Vergil, Magneto, and Dormammu. I think I want to run Dorm, Doom, and Magneto. But what should I do for team order. I've read that Dorm would make a good point character because he can battery. I also hear that Doom is an ass anchor and that Mag's is good with xfactor level 3. So should the order be: Dorm, Doom, Magneto?

Next thing I have trouble with is team synergy. What assists do you think I should run with this team and what can I do to improve things like DHC synergy?

I think my biggest problem might be is I don't know how to practice getting better at this game in the lab. How do you guys practice when you are in training mode? What I was thinking is that I learn how to to get movement down with my characters since it's so crucial in this game. But how do you guys practice combos? I don't know what combos I should go to since there are so many for each character and plus it seems like the go on forever.

Sorry for the long post, but a few tips would be helpful. Thanks.
In my opinion, combos are something you pick up after you are happy with your characters. Learning movement and "what to do" in each situation is infinitely more important than having a fancy combo. I play people all the time who have amazing combos, but I still win because their fundamentals or matchup knowledge is weak. All the damage in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit your opponent.

Watch the F.Champ vs. Fanatiq set that just happened tonight. F. Champ uses Magneto/Dormammu/Doom. Dormammu on point is very risky. He's best second. Your assists should be EM Disruptor / Dark Hole / Hidden Missiles. You can also make an argument for Plasma Beam, but I think the missiles are slightly better overall, especially if you're learning.

Doom is a pretty "meh" anchor, but Hidden Missiles counteracts that. You're free to burn XF2.

Hey guys...um...how do you feel about another fighting game? Like a sequel to a series that isn't Capcom? Because we're all about to get one.
Guilty Gear? Barfola.
Thats what I heard too. Was there a set he held up or something by no showing or is that whole thing about Guilty Gear players missing sets not related to him? I'm super vague on the history behind its removal from tourneys.

Right here.

At Season Beatings Marn volunteered to run the Guilty Gear tournament. So about an hour into the tournament he got bored and stopped giving a fuck. He wasn't making sure people were playing the correct people. He wasn't making sure winners and loser will report to tournament organizer. The bracket was hand written and he scribbled the name of the winners in a way that no one could read the bracket including himself. Then to top it all off he decided to go get high, then got sleepy and went back to his hotel room to sleep. While everyone ran around trying to figure out how the fuck he structured the bracket or where he even was (sleeping in his hotel room).

Long story short they ended up canceling the tournament because no one could read the bracket and starting over would of taken too much time.

In my opinion, combos are something you pick up after you are happy with your characters. Learning movement and "what to do" in each situation is infinitely more important than having a fancy combo. I play people all the time who have amazing combos, but I still win because their fundamentals or matchup knowledge is weak. All the damage in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit your opponent.

Watch the F.Champ vs. Fanatiq set that just happened tonight. F. Champ uses Magneto/Dormammu/Doom. Dormammu on point is very risky. He's best second. Your assists should be EM Disruptor / Dark Hole / Hidden Missiles. You can also make an argument for Plasma Beam, but I think the missiles are slightly better overall, especially if you're learning.

Doom is a pretty "meh" anchor, but Hidden Missiles counteracts that. You're free to burn XF2.

Okay. I'll be sure to watch that set and focus on movement with the characters first. Thank you for the tips.

Guilty Gear is back.
You can discuss it in the thread for it, but I felt I should throw this here to make certain you all saw it as it just got posted in the past 30 minutes.

Curious how this will go over in tourneys because weren't Guilty Gear players not showing up for their sets or something at one point? Isn't Marn a big Guilty Gear guy? Think he'll drop Marvel once this comes out?
I don't know about Marn, but I'm pretty sure Marlinpie used to play the game.
Edit: Interested in Guilty Gear, but I feel like I'm waaaay too late to jump in right now. I wonder who would fit my style?
It's only too late if there is no one left to play and this is most definitely not the case with Guilty Gear.

Oh Karst, 3D DOES clear screen of Hidden Missiles and Soul Fist if timed right.

3DestructionPointsP2.jpg

3DestructionPointsP1.jpg

Love hitbox data from Vita.
I don't need hitbox data. I've whiffed 3D0C enough times against superjumping characters to know it doesn't cover that area. It's still not going to remove Soul Fists coming from behind Dormammu off-screen (then again, we can't see the hitbox there, but I'm assuming here). Feel free to give it a try against a full-screen Morrigan who just threw a Soul Fist and let me know.

It's only too late if there is no one left to play and this is most definitely not the case with Guilty Gear.
Isn't the hardest game to play, ever?

Log isn't a good assist to try and deal with Morrigan's zoning. If it hits a fireball, then it gets negated entirely and will sail past her, doing nothing.

I just tried it in training mode right now, and that's not really what happens. If it hits only one fireball, it's still a threat to Morrigan. Hit two though and both the log and the soul fists are gone.

Still, the catch up can be pretty overwhelming. It's pretty much the reason I don't really play KoF 2k2(UM) much despite me loving it. The only people I can play at that game pretty much have 5-10 years more of experience at it than I do and there's just a point where with such a skill gap the game stops being fun :/

Dahbomb

Only Shuma's Mystic Ray can save us from MorriDoom.

If only that character was better... and had a trenchcoat, sword normals and a teleport.

If only that character was better... and had a trenchcoat, sword normals and a teleport.

Psylocke's teleport would have been cool. And aerial Mystic Ray. And the MSH version of Mystic Stare. And OTG after Chaos Dimension. And he should have been as big as Tron.

Right here.

That story isn't 100% correct, though. According to Marn, he was high from the beginning.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Psylocke's teleport would have been cool. And aerial Mystic Ray. And the MSH version of Mystic Stare. And OTG after Chaos Dimension. And he should have been as big as Tron.

That story isn't 100% correct, though. According to Marn, he was high from the beginning.

Pretty sure Marn doesn't even know at this point. He's changed that part of the story several times. He talked about it recently (I think on the Dr. Sub Zero show) and also said how he thinks the game and the community suck.

Karsticles, can you explain with the Magneto, Dorm, Doom team why you would use EM disruptor/ Dark hole / Hidden Missles?

Also, could someone link me to the set between Fanatiq and F Champ where F Champ uses the team mentioned above?

I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with this team exactly, because I feel like I want to try other characters. However if I keep messing with characters I'll never get a working team =(

Frantic

Dormammu on point is very risky.
I've tried to play Dorm on point multiple times(especially recently where everyone has him in their top five), and it is terrifying at the start of the round. He's a giant target with a slow as hell walkspeed, a lackluster jump arc, and normals that are probably the worst normals to go up against other character's ground normals. I've never felt as vulnerable at the start of the round as I do when playing Dorm on point.

There's an idea. Dante + Mystic Ray. Throw out a Twister to protect the assist call, let Shuma come in to clear the screen and put Morrigan in blockstun, Devil Trigger > Air Trick and start the offense.

Or something like that.

I think the best way to deal with morrigan is the same as dealing with wesker or pheonix. Pop xfactor on her to kill her and snap her in if she's not on point.

Karsticles, can you explain with the Magneto, Dorm, Doom team why you would use EM disruptor/ Dark hole / Hidden Missles?
EM Disruptor is pretty much always Magneto's best assist, and Dormammu makes good use of it for teleport mix-ups. Dark Hole is Dormammu's only non-shit assist unless you have a mystical way of making Purification useful. Hidden Missiles is the only assist in the game that can actually save you mid-combo, and Magneto is amazing at protecting the assist. It also covers all of Dormammu's bad match-ups, which tends to be teleporting characters.

Also, could someone link me to the set between Fanatiq and F Champ where F Champ uses the team mentioned above?
Check the fgtv stream archives - it was last night.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with this team exactly, because I feel like I want to try other characters. However if I keep messing with characters I'll never get a working team =(
We call this "Playing Marvel".

I've tried to play Dorm on point multiple times(especially recently where everyone has him in their top five), and it is terrifying at the start of the round. He's a giant target with a slow as hell walkspeed, a lackluster jump arc, and normals that are probably the worst normals to go up against other character's ground normals. I've never felt as vulnerable at the start of the round as I do when playing Dorm on point
I almost stopped playing him because I felt as though I should be using my main character as my point character, and in Vanilla there isn't a single goddamn thing you can do as Dormammu at the start of the round if you're facing a rushdown character who is also backed by Tron/Haggar except block and hope you can get out of it. It's one of the reasons I was so supportive of nerfing those assists.

What really shocks me over and over, though, is that online people always start right in my face. I get no breathing room at all. In tournaments, people are perfectly content to back off and away from Dormammu at the start, and it just makes me mad. In many ways, I feel like the online community has a better understanding of some game aspects than the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom