• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the tips Karsticles.

I've tried to play Dorm on point multiple times(especially recently where everyone has him in their top five), and it is terrifying at the start of the round. He's a giant target with a slow as hell walkspeed, a lackluster jump arc, and normals that are probably the worst normals to go up against other character's ground normals. I've never felt as vulnerable at the start of the round as I do when playing Dorm on point.

Actually I feel the exact same way at times when I play Dorm on point. What usually happens is that I end up getting trapped with no where to go and I feel like I have to keep blocking. Eventually I get opened up and there goes Dormmamu.

Dahbomb

The only thing about Storm that deals with Morrigan is Hail. If you don't have the meter for the DHC, then you don't get to use it. Getting meter against MorriDoom is as challenging as getting a hit on her.

The only thing about Storm that deals with Morrigan is Hail. If you don't have the meter for the DHC, then you don't get to use it. Getting meter against MorriDoom is as challenging as getting a hit on her.
I'm surprised no one has tried to use Morrigan as an answer to Morrigan. This is a pretty solid team, for example:
Amaterasu (Cold Stars)
Storm (Whirlwind)
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

Play the delay game with Amaterasu while calling Dark Harmonizer to gain a large and quick meter advantage. When you have 3 bars and Doom is out, Okami Shuffle to clear the screen, DHC to Ice Storm, XFC, Ice Storm. Whirlwind is also a really good assist for helping Amaterasu get in, since it wipes out all projectiles and is taller than her.

Outside of matches against Morrigan/Doom, switch the team order to:
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)
Storm (Whirlwind)
Amaterasu (Cold Stars)

Both Morrigan and Storm have really fast instant overheads to abuse with Cold Stars, and you have great DHC synergy all around. Morrigan can always TAC glitch to Storm for a free bar of meter, and then DHC from Ice Storm to Astral Vision, which gives Morrigan time to land a doubled-up Soul Drain.

It's a pretty beastly team overall, but it doesn't have a trenchcoat so no one uses it.

Replacing any of these characters with Dormammu makes it worse. :-(

You don't even need Storm, you just need a hyper that deals big damage that you can also XFC into itself for more big damage. Hyper Sentinel Force works, for example, and clears all the Soul Fists from behind you. Spell of Vishanti is another good option.

Azure J

Frantic's point on Dorm at the beginning of the match is so apt its scary. It's also part of the reason why I was doing so much character soul searching recently. I feel like I'm too much of a defensive player. I want my space and I want to hassle people into mistakes I can punish. When people walk up to you pre-match knowing full well that they have mashable jabs that will out prioritize anything you can put out immediately or have dumbassed grab option selects (seriously, fuck Zero and Shippuga if grab is teched on ground/pizza cutter of infinite active frames in air) + range on said grab its grounds for you to instantly rethink everything you do with your gameplan.

I get spooked too easily in this game. :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think the best way to deal with morrigan is the same as dealing with wesker or pheonix. Pop xfactor on her to kill her and snap her in if she's not on point.
Snapping Morrigan IN is stupid unless you have an all-but-guaranteed welcome mix-up. She WANTS to be in play when there's an assist like Hidden Missiles available because she's like a reverse Phoenix: efficient at establishing and maintaining a lead but poor at making comebacks.

Snapping Morrigan IN is stupid unless you have an all-but-guaranteed welcome mix-up. She WANTS to be in play when there's an assist like Hidden Missiles available because she's like a reverse Phoenix: efficient at establishing and maintaining a lead but poor at making comebacks.

Obviously I meant for the mix-up. Why else would you be snapping her in?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I still don't think it's worth it unless you've got a more or less 100% guaranteed setup. Anchor Morrigan ain't a thing. Let her chill in the back and take out the Doom assist or whatever instead.

Dahbomb

I'm surprised no one has tried to use Morrigan as an answer to Morrigan. This is a pretty solid team, for example:
Team is viable and some people have put up that idea too. In fact that is basically Dieminion's team in concept (Lame out character Joe/Powerup DHC hyper Strange with a usable assist/Morrigan for meter building). Die did get to kill Morrigan a bunch with SoV into XF Loop combos but then died to Doom and Akuma because he didn't have his own XF to protect against their chip and pressure.

It's also interesting to note that Nova with all his projectile nullifying moves couldn't do anything about this team set up either. Neither can Captain America or Thor if ChrisG ever ends up going against those characters (Might Strike to go through projectiles -> Mighty Tornado -> XF into character kill is a legit option). Too many hit boxes on the screen to even breath or press a button. It makes about 70% of the cast worthless. Then there are 10% of characters like Wolverine who can do something in the starting 5 seconds of the match and after that they are just as useless as the rest of the cast.

Most of the legit strategies against this team are pure hail mary or require too much meter to be practical without a meter building assist.

Team is viable and some people have put up that idea too. In fact that is basically Dieminion's team in concept (Lame out character Joe/Powerup DHC hyper Strange with a usable assist/Morrigan for meter building). Die did get to kill Morrigan a bunch with SoV into XF Loop combos but then died to Doom and Akuma because he didn't have his own XF to protect against their chip and pressure.
He was too anxious, I think. He didn't burn it to kill Doom enough. Any of his characters can handle Morrigan solo, but the assist is too much for him.

Karst, I've been setting up practice with M xx Liberation 0, and it kind of works on Morrigan spam but not all the time. Helps, though. Against anchor Morrigan at fullscreen it's solid.

There's an idea. Dante + Mystic Ray. Throw out a Twister to protect the assist call, let Shuma come in to clear the screen and put Morrigan in blockstun, Devil Trigger > Air Trick and start the offense.

Or something like that.

Mystic Ray can only kill up to 2 fireballs. Twister works, though. 50 durability.

Dahbomb

Same can be said for every player in the tournament. Not enough focus was put on Doom and all the focus was put on Morrigan.

He's got the size, but he don't got the stamina.

yvoTQ.jpg

Dahbomb

Spiral Swords persisting on tag out...

loki_gif_1.gif

My vote would go to Vajra causing forced ground bounce. Then everyone would be running it on their team.

Another vote would go to pretty much any assist that leads into a combo on hit getting invincibility on start up.

3rd vote for Tatsu getting Hard knockdown. LMAO!

4th vote Zero gets Buster as an assist.

All state change hypers now gain meter while in them (Sogenmu, DTs, B Charge etc.).

Karst, I've been setting up practice with M xx Liberation 0, and it kind of works on Morrigan spam but not all the time. Helps, though. Against anchor Morrigan at fullscreen it's solid.
What makes it better if she's anchoring? Just the lack of an assist? Thanks for sharing that.

Mystic Ray can only kill up to 2 fireballs. Twister works, though. 50 durability.
This is my anti-Morrigan plan with Dante. Twister while calling Dark Harmonizer over and over...because why not?!

It'd be funny if Ghost Rider turned out to be a Morrigan counter because he could grip her through the fireballs.
He can. Fun fact: Ghost Riders attacks will even go through projectiles. How do I know this? I thought he would be defenseless to Stalking Flare spam, but after a PurificationxStalking Flare, a Ghost Rider I was fighting dashed forward and hit me right through the flare! I was so goddamn pissed. Stalking Flare has so many counters that people aren't aware of. Only I, in my Stalking Flare spam, know them all...

What's the smallest change you can think of that would ruin the game?

My vote: Spiral Swords on Vergil assist.
I'll do you one better: Astral Vision persisting on tag out.

What makes it better if she's anchoring? Just the lack of an assist? Thanks for sharing that.
Yeah, basically. Doesn't really work if she starts doing a lot of diagonal fireballs, tho, so fullscreen is best.

He can. Fun fact: Ghost Riders attacks will even go through projectiles. How do I know this? I thought he would be defenseless to Stalking Flare spam, but after a PurificationxStalking Flare, a Ghost Rider I was fighting dashed forward and hit me right through the flare! I was so goddamn pissed. Stalking Flare has so many counters that people aren't aware of. Only I, in my Stalking Flare spam, know them all...
Yeah, that's what I meant. He can snap her out through the soul fists, too.

I'll do you one better: Astral Vision persisting on tag out.

I dunno, man. I dunno. Unless you get double meter build on harmonizer, I think the lawnmower is still worse.

Dahbomb

Devil Trigger + Swords on Rapid Slash = The Lawnmower
I know that... that gif was the "I don't want to be anywhere near that shit" reaction.

Also Spiral Swords would start disappearing once it being using up its hits and durability.

This is my anti-Morrigan plan with Dante. Twister while calling Dark Harmonizer over and over...because why not?!
Now THIS is counter technology.

So, theory-fighting-GAF, if I wanted to try out a second team to counter zoning teams, who would be a good third character if the rest of the team was Ammy and preferably Rocket since he's my other favourite?

Dahbomb

So, theory-fighting-GAF, if I wanted to try out a second team to counter zoning teams, who would be a good third character if the rest of the team was Ammy and preferably Rocket since he's my other favourite?
Complete the low health character tri-fecta with Akuma.

Zissou

Instead of adding it as a new move, they shouldv'e made all soul fists drain meter on hit. Double in av. Hell, go for broke and make them drain a a bit of meter on block too. If you don't have meter when you get hit, you end up with negative meter and have to build back up to zero meters before you can build up meter to actually use again.

entremet

Are you guys seeing a lot of Morrigans online playing randoms? I'm not. Definitely not as crazy as Sent or Wolvie in Vanilla days.

Are you guys seeing a lot of Morrigans online playing randoms? I'm not. Definitely not as crazy as Sent or Wolvie in Vanilla days.

I've only seen 1-2 people in about a thousand games of online Marvel using Morrigan/Doom, and I beat them because they weren't good players. A friend of mine also played me online with that team, and the only time I won was because I was able to take out Doom.

Of course not. It takes a brain to play Morrigan.

@Noizy: GGs. I feel like my situational combos with Morrigan have improved a bit, I converted a couple random hits into a little more than I usually do, but my general play is obviously pretty bad right now. And if you couldn't tell, I still don't know Dante and Dr. Strange's inputs - lol.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to some feedback from you on the teams and what you think had the most potential to work out. I felt like the Dante team was the strongest, I just need to not suck with Dante.

Edit: Oh, but I did cancel Stinger into Air Trick once into j.S, and that felt great.

Karsticles, I now hate your Morrigan way more than your Dormammu.

But GGs. Feel free to share any thoughts.
Thanks! The only reason Morrigan isn't my main is that she gets completely shut down by Strider teams. Otherwise I feel like she has more going for her.

I don't have too much feedback for you because I was pretty frazzled the entire time trying to figure out characters. It's this weird thing with me: if I don't feel like the team is solidified, I can't play any of my characters individually. Tons of Dormammu mistakes there. I also had no idea what Frank's frame data was, so I kept making really bad decisions against him.

I'd love to just play against you all day sometime so I can get back into things and offer you real feedback. I just don't feel like anything I say is coming from a place of good understanding of what happened right now.

GatorBait

I still don't know how to feel about this game but I want to improve, so I'm going to ask for a few tips Mahvel Gaf.

First, a problem I have is team composition. I've messed around with Wesker, Dr. Doom, Vergil, Magneto, and Dormammu. I think I want to run Dorm, Doom, and Magneto. But what should I do for team order. I've read that Dorm would make a good point character because he can battery. I also hear that Doom is an ass anchor and that Mag's is good with xfactor level 3. So should the order be: Dorm, Doom, Magneto?

Next thing I have trouble with is team synergy. What assists do you think I should run with this team and what can I do to improve things like DHC synergy?

I think my biggest problem might be is I don't know how to practice getting better at this game in the lab. How do you guys practice when you are in training mode? What I was thinking is that I learn how to to get movement down with my characters since it's so crucial in this game. But how do you guys practice combos? I don't know what combos I should go to since there are so many for each character and plus it seems like the go on forever.

Sorry for the long post, but a few tips would be helpful. Thanks.

I haven't played in a couple months, but I am going to pick this game up again with a new team. If you have the game for PS3, live in the U.S., and want a sparring partner, let me know!

We call this "Playing Marvel".

My biggest vice, as well. Having a roster that is so large and so good is a gift and a curse! It feels like I am constantly switching teams and experimenting with new configurations.

Thanks! The only reason Morrigan isn't my main is that she gets completely shut down by Strider teams. Otherwise I feel like she has more going for her.

I don't have too much feedback for you because I was pretty frazzled the entire time trying to figure out characters. It's this weird thing with me: if I don't feel like the team is solidified, I can't play any of my characters individually. Tons of Dormammu mistakes there. I also had no idea what Frank's frame data was, so I kept making really bad decisions against him.

I'd love to just play against you all day sometime so I can get back into things and offer you real feedback. I just don't feel like anything I say is coming from a place of good understanding of what happened right now.

Well, I'm not much of a labcoat like you guys are, but here's what I can tell you:

At lvl 4, Frank does some serious chip damage with his M and H normals.

When Frank is at lvl. 3 or above, try to avoid staying in the air around him. You'll eat a Funny Face Crusher.

Lvl. 4 Survival Techniques has about the same invincibility as Bionic Arm.

If you want to get a better idea of Frank, holla at Prozac on GameFAQs. He's pretty much THE Frank around there.

Azure J

I am never going to be decent/above average with anyone but Dante in this game am I? Team making is too much fun, until I'm getting bodied because I'm not comfortable with my shit. :lol

Amaterasu intermediate/advanced tricks and beginner Magnus tips for someone barely hitting H Rom Loops, go.

What's the smallest change you can think of that would ruin the game?

My vote: Spiral Swords on Vergil assist.

Log Trap forces hard knockdown after the wall bounce. Morrigan AV loses meter gain but persists on tag out. Soul Drains move as fast as Soul Fist M. Soul Fist Assist changed to Soul Drain with previous specification. Dante gets Vortex/Thunderbolt as an assist. Strider's Formation B Shot causes hard knockdown.

Twister and Tempest are such good tools, it's honestly frightening. I wish if I had better reaction times though because those + Million Carats are like the honest answer to so much dumb shit, but in order to get the most of it, especially against characters superjumping and diving on you, you really have to go full YOLO.

Alright Marvel-GAF,

So I finished my last paper for my MA program...time to celebrate with some Marvel! :-D

Congrats man!

Meter draining soul fists being as fast as normal soul fists. They would have been broken even if they did way less damage.

Game over, man. Game over...

This guy knows what's up. Forget being able to play Phoenix in a game where this happens.

Edit: Oh, but I did cancel Stinger into Air Trick once into j.S, and that felt great.

Seriously, when you start hitting Bold Move Cancels, it's such a damn rush seeing him zip all over after that ass hitting with such absurdly crazy looking moves. :lol

GatorBait

Seriously, when you start hitting Bold Move Cancels, it's such a damn rush seeing him zip all over after that ass hitting with such absurdly crazy looking moves. :lol

Any tips on learning bold move cancels?

Dante was at the top of my wishlist and his personification in this game exceeds anything I dreamt of. I swore to myself I would main him when this game came out, and I did for a while in Vanilla, but after taking a bit of a hiatus from him, I have not picked him back up yet because I haven't had the desire to grind out how to do bold move cancels.

Dante was at the top of my wishlist and his personification in this game exceeds anything I dreamt of. I swore to myself I would main him when this game came out, and I did for a while in Vanilla, but after taking a bit of a hiatus from him, I have not picked him back up yet because I haven't had the desire to grind out how to do bold move cancels.

They are hard. I want to use Dante just for his assist, but that would require learning Dante :p

smurfx

get some go again
i remember zero's handangeki assist being fast enough to smack dormammu out of it. everytime i saw it i jumped and called it in and it would hit dormammo. i do the same thing with hawkeyes assist. although i do have to jump higher as the flare will eat the arrows if its not high enough.

Plink S to A. Once you get the timing, it's pretty simple.

Azure J

You can watch this for an introduction. Part Two is here.

In the second part, the guy doing it taps out the rhythm to the inputs. Hearing it really helped me get it, even though there are some specifics to it that you need other dedicated tutorials for, most notoriously are the Bold Cancel Teleport and timing delays necessary to get Bold Canceled QCF moves off a Stinger.

Teleport Videos: Bold Cancel/Jump Cancel Teleport | Plink Bold Cancel Teleport

Things to note that weren't mentioned in the first video: you can do the Jump Cancel Teleport off of anything that can be jump canceled like raw launcers, Volcano, and the aforementioned Prop Shredder.

Regarding the QCF moves: Basically, press the Bold Move input you're most comfortable with, release the forward direction/return stick to neutral as soon as you see the gold ring flash, wait for Stinger to hit then input your QCF

Regarding Cold Shower: Sometimes when you OTG with it and Stinger, you get a phenomena where the game crosses you under the person you're hitting and reverses the inputs. In order to best deal with this, only mash Cold Shower for two hits then go for a Stinger off that. It's a tight window, but once you get it, you never think about it again.

They are hard. I want to use Dante just for his assist, but that would require learning Dante :p

It's so worth it though. Also at least you aren't playing a fraud trench coat when you do! :p

Kappa

Edit: While I'm talking Dante, I feel like I'm going to start using the alternate method of Gun Loops now (Standard Dante Starter which is either j.S/Hammer - Volcano or M-H-Stinger-BC Volcano) - j.M - j.H - Air Play - j.H - S - H (Up Shots - 2 ~ 3 bullets N) - S - H... etc. It's so fucking easy. :lol

Tirael

So I got blown the eff up earlier by a player online that knew exactly what they were doing with Zero. He got those Lightning Loops on me, and I was so mad.

I can't find that image for Lightning Loops, does anyone have a link?

Anth0ny

I'm starting to get a hold of the Doom mid screen loops. Never thought I'd see the day! *tear*

Is there a video that teaches you step by step how to do his TAC combo (with all the m's ending with rocks into super)? I'd like to at least have a BASIC version of that swag combo down for TACs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom