• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a good amount tonight with the following teams:
Dante/Dormammu/Morrigan
Skrull/Dormammu/Dr. Strange
Dr. Strange/Dormammu/Morrigan
Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan

The Firebrand team is still the most fun to play, but damn is it hard to make work against a lot of teams. I suck ass with Dante. Like, I think I might be worse with him than with any other character. It's unbelievable. The Skrull team did really well, and I don't think the Dr. Strange/Morrigan team is going to work out unless I put Dormammu on point, which I might consider. Dr. Strange is pretty terrible without a projectile assist to back his teleports. I think Dante might just be beyond my execution barrier or something.

I fought a Vergil/Dante/Morrigan that was pretty good. It was embarrassing facing my Dante against his, lol. He had all kinds of fancy stuff.

shaowebb

What's the smallest change you can think of that would ruin the game?

First 5 on my list I'm down for actually happening. The rest is just me having fun with this question.

• Iron Fist getting a Berzerker slash.
  • Iron Fist gains airdash
  • Iron Fist's Rising Fang kick no longer requires 2 rekkas before it to be available and has 2 hits armor (Bam! Inside and eats teleports and becomes a way more abusable assist)
  • Reduced startup on MODOK's moves.
  • Spidey Swing input changed to match the input Taskmaster uses (suddenly more people playing the most mobile guy out there)
  • Hyper armor on Spencer grapples
  • Phoenix with 750,000 health
  • Shaving damage scaling on Chun Li's lightning legs by 2/3rd and increasing her damage output by 1/3rd
  • Zero with 1,000,000 health
  • Magneto gets his triangle dash back
  • Nemesis can cancel any move with bazooka
  • Hsien Ko stats start at xfacter lvl 3
  • Phoenix Wright evidence no longer contains bad evidence. Just good evidence you can change for different loadouts of moves.

Okay those last two woudln't ruin the game, but would make it more fun. Still a guy can dream...

Played a good amount tonight with the following teams:
Dante/Dormammu/Morrigan
Skrull/Dormammu/Dr. Strange
Dr. Strange/Dormammu/Morrigan
Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan

The Firebrand team is still the most fun to play, but damn is it hard to make work against a lot of teams. I suck ass with Dante. Like, I think I might be worse with him than with any other character. It's unbelievable. The Skrull team did really well, and I don't think the Dr. Strange/Morrigan team is going to work out unless I put Dormammu on point, which I might consider. Dr. Strange is pretty terrible without a projectile assist to back his teleports. I think Dante might just be beyond my execution barrier or something.

I fought a Vergil/Dante/Morrigan that was pretty good. It was embarrassing facing my Dante against his, lol. He had all kinds of fancy stuff.

Have you tried Firebrand/Dorm/Skrull, which is Toki's team? That I think it one of the best Firebrand teams possible, based around Skrull's Tenderizer assist which is godlike for Dorm too.

does anyone still use the psn chat room? everytime i login to it nobody's on, but i figured it would be easier to use that for setting up matches rather than posting on gaf.

edit: finally broke a million damage in a match with a spencer corner combo no assist, but everything else about my team is sooo scrubby. i think i might go to the darkside and finally pickup dark wesker and put taskmaster on point.

Have you tried Firebrand/Dorm/Skrull, which is Toki's team? That I think it one of the best Firebrand teams possible, based around Skrull's Tenderizer assist which is godlike for Dorm too.
Dormammu seems borderline superfluous there. Tenderizer is definitely not even a good assist for Dormammu, unless you know something super secret that I don't. The only thing he can do with it that I know of is relaunch in corners, which he can do with any assist in the game.

Also, I don't think I'd want to abuse the Tenderizer unblockable loop with Firebrand. I do like to play against my opponents. ;-)

does anyone still use the psn chat room? everytime i login to it nobody's on, but i figured it would be easier to use that for setting up matches rather than posting on gaf.

edit: finally broke a million damage in a match with a spencer corner combo no assist, but everything else about my team is sooo scrubby. i think i might go to the darkside and finally pickup dark wesker and put taskmaster on point.
I go in the room.

Going on PSN now if anyone wants matches.

Dahbomb

Zero having Wolverine's walk speed doesn't really matter much aside from like the first 5 seconds of the match.

Zero having someone like Iron Fist or X-23's DASH speed and being able to wave dash would be broke.

mr. puppy

Banned
Dormammu seems borderline superfluous there. Tenderizer is definitely not even a good assist for Dormammu, unless you know something super secret that I don't. The only thing he can do with it that I know of is relaunch in corners, which he can do with any assist in the game.

Also, I don't think I'd want to abuse the Tenderizer unblockable loop with Firebrand. I do like to play against my opponents. ;-)

I go in the room.

Going on PSN now if anyone wants matches.

you really should try out Firebrand/Dorm/Akuma. Firebrand/Akuma blows up Viper, which one day will be a huge deal in the metagame.

Bizazedo

Zero having Wolverine's walk speed doesn't really matter much aside from like the first 5 seconds of the match.

I think the first 5 seconds of the match is why y'don't see Zero more, though. That meta game.

I seriously think my win % would go WAY up if I had Wolverine's walk speed.

Been lurking this thread. Just wanted to say I watch FGTV's UMVC3 first to 15 with fanatiq while playing Diablo3 on my dual moniter setup.

FChamp makes Dormammu look top tier. He may be switching out phoenix for him.

Fanatiq's confidence is shattered right now after losing to the majority of the FGTV house regulars. Hopefully he will be ready for the next Major and his match with RayRay (who I hear may have an alternate team).

smurfx

get some go again
Been lurking this thread. Just wanted to say I watch FGTV's UMVC3 first to 15 with fanatiq while playing Diablo3 on my dual moniter setup.

Fanatiq's confidence is shattered right now after losing to the majority of the FGTV house regulars. Hopefully he will be ready for the next Major and his match with RayRay (who I hear may have an alternate team).
he is top tier.

Did you watch his match right after where he used Phoenix against Fanatiq? It was brutal. No way he swaps out for anything but a counterpick.

Dahbomb

Yeah I expect FChamp to use Dorm only when he faces someone like ChrisG. Now THAT'S a match I want to see, FChamps Magneto/Dorm/Doom (Missiels) vs ChrisG's bread and butter. And yeah Dorm is top tier and top 10 minimum.

I really should see these sets especially since D3 is being patched right now...

I've really liked the idea of Spencer/Vergil/Magneto for a while, but every time I try to play Vergil he seems so weird. Something chunky about the way he moves, not smooth and buttery like Dante at all. Especially because I'm trying to use him to replace Wesker, one of the smoothest characters in the game.

GGs Panda. Now you know the Firebrand team isn't trash, it just can't handle Vajra. :p I have no idea how to handle Hulk.

you really should try out Firebrand/Dorm/Akuma. Firebrand/Akuma blows up Viper, which one day will be a huge deal in the metagame.
I'm not really worried about Viper online, haha. I've done the Akuma team, and it's pretty good. It's just not a lot of fun to use for Dormammu.

Dormammu is top tier. He just doesn't get a lot of play because he's awkward and has terrible assists.

Yeah I expect FChamp to use Dorm only when he faces someone like ChrisG. Now THAT'S a match I want to see, FChamps Magneto/Dorm/Doom (Missiels) vs ChrisG's bread and butter. And yeah Dorm is top tier and top 10 minimum.

I really should see these sets especially since D3 is being patched right now...
Yar!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GGs Karst!

My Wolverine is horrendous lol.

I did better with my Thor team than I expected since I haven't played it in months, couldn't finish my combos off of resets though.

vg260

So, I just started playing a bunch online, and god am I bad.

Doesn't help I only play w/ characters I like as characters and can't bring myself to put Wesker, Zero, etc. on my team. I use Spidey mainly. It's infuriating. Feels like so much work when so many others can teleport, easily OTG, etc. Why can't he have anything remotely cheap like so many other characters. just a decent OTG. They should have given him a web hammer move as an OG. and his supers. Ugh. Why doesn't his act like Weskers. Gah.

How do you play "dirty" with him or make it less of an uphill battle?

Maybe i'll just keeping losing like crazy and especially enjoy the few I do win.

It may be more work, but trust me, I'd rather face any of the other characters you mentioned than a good Spidey x_X

You should ask Sasa for tips.

GGs Karst!

My Wolverine is horrendous lol.

I did better with my Thor team than I expected since I haven't played it in months, couldn't finish my combos off of resets though.
Yeah, I kept expecting Berserker Slashes that never came.

Thor's a pretty underrated character. My Skrull was doing pretty well after a while, but Dr. Strange...

Doesn't help I only play w/ characters I like as characters and can't bring myself to put Wesker, Zero, etc. on my team. I use Spidey mainly. It's infuriating. Feels like so much work when so many others can teleport, easily OTG, etc. Why can't he have anything remotely cheap like so many other characters. just a decent OTG. They should have given him a web hammer move as an OG. and his supers. Ugh. Why doesn't his act like Weskers. Gah.

Maybe i'll just keeping losing like crazy and especially enjoy the few I do win.
Spider-man has something better than a teleport. He has a command dash with a full-screen hitbox that can be canceled into any of his other specials. Do you know how good that is? Spider-man's supers are pretty good, too. His big weakness is bad assists.

Are you PS3 or 360?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah, I kept expecting Berserker Slashes that never came.

Thor's a pretty underrated character. My Skrull was doing pretty well after a while, but Dr. Strange...

Your Skrull was pretty good, you plan on sticking with that team?

Your Strange wasn't that bad either, it's just his buttons are horrible. Most of the time when I punished them I think it was from a blocked launcher.

vg260

Spider-man has something better than a teleport. He has a command dash with a full-screen hitbox that can be canceled into any of his other specials. Do you know how good that is? Spider-man's supers are pretty good, too. His big weakness is bad assists.

Are you PS3 or 360?

360...and Vita. I guess I don't have a full understanding of his strengths. I just spaz a lot. It think Sasa gave some tips previously, but I kept putting off really digging into this game until now. I've only been learning some basic combos with some characters, I can't really pull off his better ones with any consistency. I keep getting blown up by teleports too.

His dirty stuff doesn't really come until you are more comfortable using all his movement/misdirection. UWT resets aside, he does his real damage when he has an assist that either lets him get stupid crossups going (all his air normals cross up), or will let him get his frame trap/tiny overheads going. He has a ton of tools and closes the gap like no one else (esp air to ground) but he does need help to shore up deficiencies (which are way fewer than what he had in Vanilla).

What about him is giving you the most trouble? And don't worry, he isn't a character that is easy to be effective with at the beginning.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
image.php

image.php

Your Skrull was pretty good, you plan on sticking with that team?

Your Strange wasn't that bad either, it's just his buttons are horrible. Most of the time when I punished them I think it was from a blocked launcher.
I like the team for Skrull, but I really love Dark Harmonizer for Dormammu. It's just silly good.

My Strange is definitely bad, haha. Yeah, his normals are terrible. A lot of the time I would do c.L twice into launcher and it would whiff. -_- The big problem with Strange is that he has absolutely no safe blockstrings. None. So once I get in it's like "I hope this hits", and if it doesn't I'm screwed.

I played another 20 matches with Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan and had a blast, and against Zero/Doom/Spencer, no less. Once I killed Zero the rest of the team was free to Dormammu unless I biffed up.

360...and Vita. I guess I don't have a full understanding of his strengths. I just spaz a lot. It think Sasa gave some tips previously, but I kept putting off really digging into this game until now. I've only been learning some basic combos with some characters, I can't really pull off his better ones with any consistency. I keep getting blown up by teleports too.
Spider-man should always be in the air unless you're doing a blockstring, so how are teleports snagging you?

Anyone know where to find this in the archives?

vg260

Spider-man should always be in the air unless you're doing a blockstring, so how are teleports snagging you?

yeah, I realized after I typed that it's mostly other grounded characters where that a happens. I'm still pretty bad when I am grounded.

His dirty stuff doesn't really come until you are more comfortable using all his movement/misdirection. UWT resets aside, he does his real damage when he has an assist that either lets him get stupid crossups going (all his air normals cross up), or will let him get his frame trap/tiny overheads going. He has a ton of tools and closes the gap like no one else (esp air to ground) but he does need help to shore up deficiencies (which are way fewer than what he had in Vanilla).

What about him is giving you the most trouble? And don't worry, he isn't a character that is easy to be effective with at the beginning.

Good stuff. thanks. I guess being unpredictable, getting in and doing big damage...and not whiffing DP motions.

I'll probably poke back in later to follow-up. I'm not able to post more now. Thanks.

I finally did an EMP loop with Magneto ^_^

...and I think I'm going to never try to do it again. Shit is mad hard, never gonna land that in a match :-(

Sticking with blast loops and maybe the ghetto ROM.

Azure J

I play on 360 pad using the control stick because I'm broke as fuck and a masochist. The real answer is that I just can't play games that don't use things in the dominant top left portion of the controller for movement. That and I'm broke as fuck. :lol

I play stick, but most people here play on pad. 360 pad. Hell, one of my friend's problems is that he can't find a decent 360->PS3 converter for EVO.

They can fucking lightning loop on that thing, I have no idea how they do it.

Bizazedo

I play stick, but most people here play on pad. 360 pad. Hell, one of my friend's problems is that he can't find a decent 360->PS3 converter for EVO.

They can fucking lightning loop on that thing, I have no idea how they do it.

There are no fantastic converters. Best thing is to get someone to build a PS2 controller into a 360 shell and use the ps2 --> ps3 converters.

Amusingly, it's small enough that if your guy is good, the converter can fit into the 360 shell as well.

Razor210

There are no fantastic converters. Best thing is to get someone to build a PS2 controller into a 360 shell and use the ps2 --> ps3 converters.

Amusingly, it's small enough that if your guy is good, the converter can fit into the 360 shell as well.

I have eTokki PS2 -> PS3 and PS2 -> 360 converters. Works great for me.

JeTmAn81

I have played on Madcatz TE sticks since a few months into vanilla. Can't imagine doing some of the more complicated things in this game on a pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom