• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of cologne do you guys wear?

Canali and Dolce Gabbana Light Blue all day.

ibjds6Aua9vNv.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I remember Alan Cumming was pimping out his cologne called "Cumming all over your face"

Or something like that. There was definitely a pun in there.

I may have added a bit.

smurfx

get some go again
if you want a real answer then i would say tommy hilfiger cologne. don't wear cologne but i've always liked the way it smelled.

Inis Energy of the Sea Cologne Spray
Curve Soul
Curve

I used to wear Lucky 6, but I haven't used it an while. I've always been interested in trying a cologne by Burberry too. Inis is my favorite, but it doesn't last very long.
So.. who here plays on what, stick or pad?

I play on pad because I am a young child.
A DS3 for now. I keep telling myself that I'm going to pick up a nice stick every single time a good fighter comes out, but it just never happens.

started on a hori rap3
got a madcatz te
now using qanba q4

btw panda and other spencer players, here's a an even easier 1 mil+ damage corner combo, uses 2 bars (dont know how much meter is built), no assists:

cr.lmhs > air mmhs > (before landing) bionic bomber > mhs xx sjc.wire grapple up (L follow-up) > bionic maneuvers > otg grapple h > df zip > db zip > wire grapple up (L follow-up) > bionic maneuvers > otg grapple h

also, i need to add a bunch of you psn guys since im going to start putting in more work into this game:
karst
panda
slasher
beard

this fraud will be looking to practice a new team this week/end.

Solune

Inis Energy of the Sea Cologne Spray
Curve Soul
Curve

I used to wear Lucky 6, but I haven't used it an while. I've always been interested in trying a cologne by Burberry too. Inis is my favorite, but it doesn't last very long.

A DS3 for now. I keep telling myself that I'm going to pick up a nice stick every single time a good fighter comes out, but it just never happens.

Didn't know you were so well groomed Solar.

And wut?? Since when did you switch from 360 pad??

Is it just me or is Spencer's pushblock command grab bait on incoming characters too good?

I've been practicing different anti-pushblock setups with my team, and Yipes' tech is kinda amazing.

Spencer with lvl 1 x-factor and no hypers = 1.1 million off a command grab in the corner

GatorBait

You can watch this for an introduction. Part Two is here.

In the second part, the guy doing it taps out the rhythm to the inputs. Hearing it really helped me get it, even though there are some specifics to it that you need other dedicated tutorials for, most notoriously are the Bold Cancel Teleport and timing delays necessary to get Bold Canceled QCF moves off a Stinger.

Teleport Videos: Bold Cancel/Jump Cancel Teleport | Plink Bold Cancel Teleport

Things to note that weren't mentioned in the first video: you can do the Jump Cancel Teleport off of anything that can be jump canceled like raw launcers, Volcano, and the aforementioned Prop Shredder.

Regarding the QCF moves: Basically, press the Bold Move input you're most comfortable with, release the forward direction/return stick to neutral as soon as you see the gold ring flash, wait for Stinger to hit then input your QCF

Regarding Cold Shower: Sometimes when you OTG with it and Stinger, you get a phenomena where the game crosses you under the person you're hitting and reverses the inputs. In order to best deal with this, only mash Cold Shower for two hits then go for a Stinger off that. It's a tight window, but once you get it, you never think about it again.

Thanks for this!

Bookmarking this and going to hit the lab this weekend.

Today I discovered I suck at Strider combos -.- Seriously how do I even do those that include j.qcf+L.

Vajra goes well with Raccoon since it stops enemies from going to the air where he has trouble following them and he can continue the combo easily with Bear Trap, but I can't seem to do anything with Ammy other than glaive OTG->qcf+S->super :x

Sigmaah

I honestly wouldn't mind Zero being nerfed, not nerfed to hell but just enough so people can stop saying my main man is S tier.

Anyone wanna play on 360?

McNum

So, a few quick questions here. I noticed UMVC3 on my shelf and remembered, I never gave that game much time, partially due to Xenoblade releasing on the same day here, and well... 90+ hour RPGs take a while to beat.

Anyway, what I want to know is...
- Is the online, (PSN, Northern Europe) still active in this game?
- Related, for a 0W/0L newbie here, who has probably forgotten any combos I did know, will I even stand a chance? Are there people of my level to play anymore?

Of course, an upside to this, is that I get to pick a new team, since I don't have muscle memory to fight now. I like Morrigan, and from what I can tell, she's pretty good now, so I'll be keeping her. Just need to relearn her basics. I think my Cap and Ryu were... not good, but better than the rest, but I never tried that against a live opponent. But Cap/Morrigan/Ryu is a sort of lame team, they don't synergize much, and it's a team with a kind of meh gameplan.

If I were to replace Cap or Ryu with someone, who should it be? Who's good for a newbie to go online with? I think I'll just leave that question open, and feel free to suggest dropping both Cap and Ryu is you have a good idea. I am not good at really long combo strings, though, so a team that relies on short combos or keepaway (and a way to keep the keepaway) would probably be favorable to me. My timing and spacing are decent, as far as I know.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My connection hasn't been 100% ass lately, so I'm willing to entertain online play in this game again. Drop me an invite if you see me on.

Tirael

I think my Cap and Ryu were... not good, but better than the rest, but I never tried that against a live opponent. But Cap/Morrigan/Ryu is a sort of lame team, they don't synergize much, and it's a team with a kind of meh gameplan.

If I were to replace Cap or Ryu with someone, who should it be? Who's good for a newbie to go online with? I think I'll just leave that question open, and feel free to suggest dropping both Cap and Ryu is you have a good idea. I am not good at really long combo strings, though, so a team that relies on short combos or keepaway (and a way to keep the keepaway) would probably be favorable to me. My timing and spacing are decent, as far as I know.

That's honestly not a bad start. Cap and Ryu are both beginner-friendly characters, it's Morrigan that you would have to work harder to get good with. Even if it's not the team you end up keeping, it's a really good one to help you understand the mechanics of the game. That and Cap hits like a damn truck, and Ryu has extremely versatile hypers.

How much do you know? Can you do magic series? Do you know what magic series is? It's important to have at least one good combo that you can get fairly easily, and both Ryu and Cap have really easy ones.

For Ryu, try LM cr.H S, sj. MMH, QCB+H, (five hits) QCF+AtkAtk

For Cap, do LMHS, sj. MMHS, (land) QCF+L, QCB+AtkAtk

If this is too basic for you, I'm sorry, you were vague as to your experience. If this is too hard, please say so and I will explain better.

So fucking close with Spencer:

[corner]6H+A2(Disruptor), HS sjc Upgrapple, Bionic Bomber, MHS sjc Upgrapple, A1(Rapidslash), Bionic Bomber, Upgrapple, Air Grapple H, df Zip, db Zip, Upgrapple, Air Grapple M

890,400 damage, no hypers or x-factor

I think I can break 900k with this team(Spencer/Vergil/Magneto), but chip from emd assist on wakeup will kill everyone at that health on wakeup.

edit: I just wanted to test something I already knew, but... yeah(Spencer/Magneto/Doom):

[corner]6H+A2(Disruptor), HS sjc Upgrapple, Bionic Bomber, MHS sjc Upgrapple, A1(Hidden Missiles), HS sjc Upgrapple, S sjc Upgrapple, Air Grapple H, df Zip, db Zip, Upgrapple, Air Grapple M

963,600 damage, no hypers or x-factor

So.. who here plays on what, stick or pad?

I play on pad because I am a young child.
Stick. My execution went up when I switched to a bat-top, but now I think it might be suffering because of it, so I might put the ball-top back on.

Power of the Seductor.

Anybody down to play on PS3?

PSN: SlasherMcGirk
If your connection is good, we'll play sometime - add me; Karsticles.

I honestly wouldn't mind Zero being nerfed, not nerfed to hell but just enough so people can stop saying my main man is S tier.

Anyone wanna play on 360?
The only nerf Zero really, absolutely needs, is for the buster shot to just be another special - no canceling into it. Maybe not even canceling out of it...I'd have to think on that.

Azure J

I think I'm going to go back to Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira) guys. Nothing against the team setups I was playing (Seriously, Dante + Magneto/Ammy, Doom/Strider & Felicia/Phoenix are godlike fun to play), but I guess I just got comfortable with the trio even as I was getting bodied with them. Also, I love the color synergy between BoF Ryu Dante (bestest Dante color), default Amaterasu, and Color 4 Strider. :lol

That being said, two things:

- Dog with Divekick assist. I feel like the only real extension for this is Glaive Dive - Glaive Chop - Okami Shuffle, but something makes me feel like there's more there I haven't tried to do, probably involving a weapon switch to reflector stance for a bit more damage after the OTG and before the super. Anyone want to chime in?

- I'm working on Dante corner meter build shenanigans and wondering what I can do to the notation below to get more meter (assists or not):

M - H - BC Volcano - (jump back) j.H - Air Play - j.H - s.S - Clay Pidgeon/Up Shots - Prop Shredder - TK Acid Rain - sj.Hammer - Cold Shower - Stinger Lvl. 2 - Million Carats - Volcano~Beehive - Stinger - BC Jet Stream - Fireworks - Million Dollars

I'm entertaining the idea of Million Carats - Assist (Vajira)~Jam Session - Volcano~Beehive, but I can only imagine how bad the hitstun scaling would be if the rest worked. :lol

McNum

That's honestly not a bad start. Cap and Ryu are both beginner-friendly characters, it's Morrigan that you would have to work harder to get good with. Even if it's not the team you end up keeping, it's a really good one to help you understand the mechanics of the game. That and Cap hits like a damn truck, and Ryu has extremely versatile hypers.

How much do you know? Can you do magic series? Do you know what magic series is? It's important to have at least one good combo that you can get fairly easily, and both Ryu and Cap have really easy ones.

For Ryu, try LM cr.H S, sj. MMH, QCB+H, (five hits) QCF+AtkAtk

For Cap, do LMHS, sj. MMHS, (land) QCF+L, QCB+AtkAtk

If this is too basic for you, I'm sorry, you were vague as to your experience. If this is too hard, please say so and I will explain better.
Yeah, I can do the basic LMHS jMMHS land thing. I had that Cap combo down, in fact, I extended it a bit when I played it when it was new.

I did this:
LMHS, jMMHS, qcf+L qcb+(depending on range to opponent)L/M/H, qcb+AA (if meter).

Ruy, I'll be honest, is for Shinkuu Hadoken. It's such a fun "No" tool to have when the opponent is reckless across the screen. "Hidden Miss-" "No." "Sentinel For-" "No." Good fun. It costs meter, yes, but Ryu will be going after Morrigan, so there should be meter left for him. The basic game plan I have is to let Ryu anchor with X-Factor ready and at least 2 meter. Also, I had Ryu on Hadoken assist so he could throw a fireball and have Cap backflip across the opponent when it was supposed to hit. A cheap trick, but cheap is good. It's Marvel.

Morrigan, I picked her first for Dark Harmonizer, to even up the meter battle when my combos are weak, but I've grown to like her style. I really need to learn to spam fireballs quicker, and get my air control down a bit better, but she's fun against super armor. And her shadow double hyper is fun. Especially with the meter drain fireball mixed in. I have a few magic series style things I can do with her, but mostly, it's about keeping distance, spamming fireball, using flight to get away, and basically be evasive and annoying. I know that a good teleporter ruins that plan, though.

I'm a very patient fighter. Time Over wins are okay for me. I prefer winning by KO, of course, but if I'm ahead, I play safe.

Stick. My execution went up when I switched to a bat-top, but now I think it might be suffering because of it, so I might put the ball-top back on.

Power of the Seductor.

If your connection is good, we'll play sometime - add me; Karsticles.

The only nerf Zero really, absolutely needs, is for the buster shot to just be another special - no canceling into it. Maybe not even canceling out of it...I'd have to think on that.

Canceling out of it? You can't do that as it is. Unless you mean hypers.

Canceling out of it? You can't do that as it is. Unless you mean hypers.
Then it recovers so ridiculously fast that it doesn't need to cancel. :p

- Dog with Divekick assist. I feel like the only real extension for this is Glaive Dive - Glaive Chop - Okami Shuffle, but something makes me feel like there's more there I haven't tried to do, probably involving a weapon switch to reflector stance for a bit more damage after the OTG and before the super. Anyone want to chime in?
Check some Clockwork videos to see Ammy's OTG combo. I insist that you stop referring to her as "dog", though.

Azure J

Check some Clockwork videos to see Ammy's OTG combo. I insist that you stop referring to her as "dog", though.

haha, just poking a little fun. :p

I don't know how many people I have to X-Copy from in recent days just to see some new things for myself. Thank God for Frame Advantage and their stream archives.

Solune

haha, just poking a little fun. :p

I don't know how many people I have to X-Copy from in recent days just to see some new things for myself. Thank God for Frame Advantage and their stream archives.

I'd also watch Marlinpie vids for Ammy solo combos, especially the ones after air throws. There was a few vids I posted a while back about Ammy full team combos, I can dig them up if you want.

Dartastic

Does anyone have any links to the top matches I should watch from this weekend's tournament? I missed the top marvel bit. I'd even be okay with just the time stamp for it... I genuinely have no idea where to start.

I'd also watch Marlinpie vids for Ammy solo combos, especially the ones after air throws. There was a few vids I posted a while back about Ammy full team combos, I can dig them up if you want.
I'd be down to see these.

Vice

So, a few quick questions here. I noticed UMVC3 on my shelf and remembered, I never gave that game much time, partially due to Xenoblade releasing on the same day here, and well... 90+ hour RPGs take a while to beat.

Anyway, what I want to know is...
- Is the online, (PSN, Northern Europe) still active in this game?
- Related, for a 0W/0L newbie here, who has probably forgotten any combos I did know, will I even stand a chance? Are there people of my level to play anymore?

Of course, an upside to this, is that I get to pick a new team, since I don't have muscle memory to fight now. I like Morrigan, and from what I can tell, she's pretty good now, so I'll be keeping her. Just need to relearn her basics. I think my Cap and Ryu were... not good, but better than the rest, but I never tried that against a live opponent. But Cap/Morrigan/Ryu is a sort of lame team, they don't synergize much, and it's a team with a kind of meh gameplan.

If you replace Ryu with Doom(hidden missiles) and put him on anchor he'll synergize well with Cap and Morrigan.

A basic Cap combo that's pretty simple is LMHS -> J.MHHS(Second H is down H) -> OTG Shield slash HS -> J.MHHS -> OTG shield slash -> Hyper Charging star. It does about as much damage as some of his basic advanced combos but is a lot easier to do once you get used to using double heavies. You can also try J.MM double jump MMHH, but I think a good chunk of the cast falls out of that, or my execution is ass.

The hardest part is the relaunch and the timing for it is fairly simple, after the shield hits them for the second time use standing H to knock them into the air. It also works with air magic series but the double H gives you a bit more damage.

Doom missiles lets you follow up with a second Hyper Charging Star in all of your combos, call the assist right before you shield slash, and help make Morrigan the queen bitch of UMVC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom