• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Dante
Morrigan
Doom

Yipes, PR Rog, Marlinpie, Chris G, Filipino Champ, are covered in this selection. But more importantly, I'm on #TeamBetterSpardaBro & #TeamSuccubus/#TeamDarkstalkers 100% of the way. :lol

Last years winner is going against last years underdog! There will only be one winner
but there's two in Deadpool's eyes

Don't you mean four? Kappa

1. doom
2. wesker
3. (dark) phoenix

sigh. still doing some team soul searching. i really want to come up with a new team while using spencer (by far my fave character, mained him since vanilla day 1 though it doesnt show lol). any help would be appreciated.
previously running cap/spencer/sent. i really like spencer in the 2nd character slot, and i do like the combo synergy between him and nova, so i think i'll try to learn nova on point.

nova/spencer/wesker? akuma? kind of willing to try anyone new to me.

or maybe it would be easier to form a new team based on a list of previous characters i'm familiar with:
spencer
hulk
cap
sent
taskmaster
hawkeye
ryu
deadpool
wolverine (somewhat)
wesker (somewhat)
dorm (somewhat)

any ideas?

Zero / Nova / Spencer?

hmm never really considered using zero. is the only way to play him to RTSD? he seems pretty high execution too.

it might be good to try him. i think fundamentally i still play this game like street fighter; i get too patient waiting for counter opportunities instead of thinking of tricky setups and mixups.

Solune

Last years winner is going against last years underdog! There will only be one winner
LfGjt.jpg
Amazing.
alright guys lets pick 3 characters we think will be in the grand finals of evo.

1. wolverine
2. spencer
3. vergil

we will then tally up the votes and see if we were right.

Doom
Spencer
Vergil

Grecco

1. doom
2. wesker
3. (dark) phoenix

sigh. still doing some team soul searching. i really want to come up with a new team while using spencer (by far my fave character, mained him since vanilla day 1 though it doesnt show lol). any help would be appreciated.
previously running cap/spencer/sent. i really like spencer in the 2nd character slot, and i do like the combo synergy between him and nova, so i think i'll try to learn nova on point.

nova/spencer/wesker? akuma? kind of willing to try anyone new to me.

or maybe it would be easier to form a new team based on a list of previous characters i'm familiar with:
spencer
hulk
cap
sent
taskmaster
hawkeye
ryu
deadpool
wolverine (somewhat)
wesker (somewhat)
dorm (somewhat)

any ideas?

Ive been using Spencer of a little bit now. Hes a really good character but he needs 2 assists to make him shine, an assist to allow multiple Up Grapples in your combos, either OTG assist like Wesker, or an assist that keeps characters in the air, like Vergil, Sentinel, and Amateratsu, and an assist that helps you get in, because his wire graples are NOT SAFE. So a beam assist like Task Master, or FRank West shopping cart.

My main Spencer team right now is Spencer/Tasmaster/Wesker you can easily kill any character not named Thor with just one starting bar. You have Wesker in the back cause he makes Spencer that much easier, and occasionally a Dark Wesker comeback. So my suggestion is that. 1 assist to help him do more upgraples and 1 assist to get in. From that list you can try a combination of Spencer and then Wesker/Wolverine/Sentinel/Task/haweye ect

Any game is going to be hard when there is still an older group of players on it. The character designs are awesome and I'm sure you could find someone you like. ASW is apparently prepping an arcade update which means that you'll be on a sightly more even playing field when they release that(most likely for free if it isn't released on day 1 for XBL/PSN).
Yeah, but Guilty Gear is considered the hardest game ever, so coming in with only noob experience (like, I just tried to zone all day with Dizzy) doesn't sound appealing...

WOW. JUST WATCHED CROSS COUNTER. MARN. GATDAMN.

...I need to pick up Vergil holy shit. Those combos that Marn was doing were insane.eee.eeeee
Honestly, Vergil combos are boring me even more than Vanilla Dante combos did. Just the Spiral Swords loop part, I mean.

Spencer/Vergil/XXX vs Morrigan/Doom/XXX at EVO grand finals confirmed?
The thing about ChrisG is that while he's an amazing player, he gets emotional. If he could maintain his cool throughout Evo, I'd definitely place him as #1, and he would deserve it.

LfGjt.jpg
Where'd you get that from?

Bizazedo

Doom, Wesker, and Vergil. I really wonder if we'll see a Zero in grand finals.

I'm convinced the combination of his HP being too low / the best players don't use him / those that do go for risky, droppable things will prevent Zero from showing unless he's an alt team.

I think the locks for EVO GF are gonna be Logan Vergil and Akuma. Widest breadth among players and pretty much undroppable combos.

I really think people will adjust to Spencer sooner or later, but he's still a decent choice too. Spencer, Doom, Zero, and Hawkeye would be the people I'm backing next.

Finally did it, now I don't need to play Doom ^_^

[corner]6H+A2(Disruptor), HS sjc Upgrapple, Bionic Bomber, MHS sjc Upgrapple, A1(Rapidslash), Bionic Bomber, S sjc Upgrapple, Air Grapple H, df Zip, db Zip, Upgrapple, Air Grapple M

910,100 damage, no hypers or x-factor

Dahbomb

I already put up my 3 characters: Vergil, Wolverine, Akuma. I will ALWAYS bet on Vergil.

Just saw the Justin vs Marn CC videos. Marn has stepped up his Vergil DRAMATICALLY.

Saw the Fanatiq FGTV sessions too, great sets and Fanatiq was mind fucked through most of them.

LMAO @ this pic!

I'm convinced the combination of his HP being too low / the best players don't use him / those that do go for risky, droppable things will prevent Zero from showing unless he's an alt team.
Low health isn't a problem... people are still going to play Vergil and Akuma plus other low health characters like Magneto.

The real problem is not enough TOP PLAYERS play him. And by top players I mean the top 5 players most likely to win EVO. I don't have Wesker on my top 3 despite him being the most picked character.

Another factor to my picks is that EVO is going to be 2/3. Characters like WVA are prime for 2/3, you don't have enough time to download which mix ups/set ups the player is going to be using with those characters in one or two matches. By the time you figure out, you have already lost the match.

Frantic

alright guys lets pick 3 characters we think will be in the grand finals of evo.
1. Hsien-Ko
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Shuma Gorath

IT'LL HAPPEN GUYS. I CAN SEE THE FUTURE.

In all seriousness, Vergil, Doom and Akuma I feel are the safest. Doom and Akuma for their top tier assists, Vergil for dat bandwagon everyone is on.
Watch none of them be in grand finals.
1. Wolverine
2. Dante
3. Akuma
Dante
Morrigan
Doom
How can someone in ASS tier be in Grand Finals. You guys and your silly predictions!
If I see Dante in EVO grand finals and they do Cold Shower after a Hammer, I will be so mad.

Vice

Spencer, Doom, Vergil. It's just numbers, nearly every top player likely to make it to top 8 has at least one of these characters on their main team.

Bizazedo

Low health isn't a problem... people are still going to play Vergil and Akuma plus other low health characters like Magneto.
Depends. I think it is an issue for the point character if they run into a lot of zoning teams. The chip adds up and it's that much easier to take the character out.

I know, people ignore HP, and for the most part I agree. It's justifiable to ignore it.

For the most part, not all the time.

shaowebb

Name 3 playables we think will be in EVO grand finals?

• Morrigan
  • Vergil
  • Wesker

I fully expect Chris G to be in Grand Finals and to Morrigan part of it then swap out for a wesker team part way through it. I just get the feeling his opponent will be using Vergil in some fashion.

Dahbomb

I think we should do a character head count of players:

VERGILS

Yipes
Richard Nguyen
Marn
Mihe
Chou
Flocker
Pedro
PR Balrog (B team)
Justin Wong (B team)

WOLVERINES

Justin Wong
Noel Brown
PR Balrog

AKUMAS

ChrisG
Justin Wong
Noel Brown
Knives
PR Balrog (B team)

DR DOOMS

FChamp
ChrisG
MarlinPie
Flocker
Tokido
Clockwork

SPENCERS

Knives
PR Balrog
Combofiend
Yipes
Justin Wong (B team)
Fanatiq (B team)

WESKERS

Viscant
Wentinel
Mine
Jago
Noel Brown
MastaCJ
Chou
Pedro
Neo

MAGNETOS

FChamp
Fanatiq
RayRay
Wentinel
MastaCJ
Tokido
Chou
Neo
Marn (B team)
Yipes (B team)

ZEROS

Flocker
Marn
Mihe

DANTES

PR Balrog
Richard Nguyen
Mihe
Yipes
Jago

PHOENIX

Viscant
Neo
FChamp
Flocker
Tokido

Number of top Wolverine and Zero players is actually pretty low but Wolverine has the edge in that all 3 of those top players are consistent placers at high level matches and all were in top 8 of EVO last year. I never bet against Justin Wong either...

Part of the equation is who plays who. Flocker could be in grand finals if he doesn't have to face ChrisG, for example. A lot of players still only have one team, which makes the whole process difficult to determine based on merit and not matchup.

Dahbomb

Well that's a whole another discussion right there which is strictly bracket oriented.

But my counter to that is if the hypothetical situation happens that ChrisG plays Flocker to get into Winner Finals, you still have to account for the other players still in the bracket. It could be Yipes or PRBalrog or Justin and all of them could potentially be playing Vergil. Even if Flocker loses to ChrisG, he can end up beating everyone in losers bracket and end right back in Grand Finals with ChrisG... guaranteeing a Vergil spot yet again.

Or none of them could be playing Vergil... Flocker opts for Zero/Doom/Phoenix, Justin his bread and butter, PRBalrog goes to his original teams and Yipes gets eliminated early.

Grecco

Richard Ngyuen and Noel Brown switched or seem to be thinking about switching to Zero. I think the Wolverine army is done for the most part. Even Rog has thought about switching Wolverine out of his Sparda Twins shell

Dahbomb

Richard Ngyuen and Noel Brown switched or seem to be thinking about switching to Zero. I think the Wolverine army is done for the most part. Even Rog has thought about switching Wolverine out of his Sparda Twins shell
Dat 3 man army.

Needs more vipers in your post, Dahbomb, but you can count those on your first 3 fingers. :(
MarlinPie
KBeast
Chrisis
Unkn0wn

McNum

Thanks for the tips, I've been getting a bit back in the game, mostly getting used to the controls again and relearning some basic combos I could do. I'm pretty rusty, even if I wasn't that good to begin with. Still, Training Mode is there for a reason.

I've also been scouting out new team candidates for Cap and Morrigan. Ryu is nice and all, but he's also Ryu. Kind of the vanilla choice, and his assists don't do much for either Cap or Morrigan. Doom is out since I can't make Doom do anything, I tried. Then I started thinking, missiles are great because they are delayed, they home in, and they hit multiple times. Who else had something similar, primarily for Cap to unlock Backflip shenanigans? A few character tests later, and I found someone, a character I've dismissed several times before: Taskmaster. And his assists are just what the Captain ordered. Plus, he packs a punch on point, and can go with no assists if he needs to.

So, Captain America, Taskmaster and Morrigan. Order not quite decided yet. But what assists should I pick for these? Morrigan's is easy. Dark Harmonizer. Cap has Shield Slash and Charging Star. Shield Slash is probably my preferred of those two, but neither is great. Which is why he leads the team. Taskmaster... Straight or Parabolic Shot? I honestly don't know. Straight favors Cap, parabolic favors Morrigan. If Morrigan is second, she wants Parabolic. If she's anchor, Cap gets the horizontal assist. So, who should anchor this team? Task is good anchor, and my Bullet Hell Morrigan Lite could do with some arrows to make things more annoying. But it might weaken Cap a bit.

And of course, the biggest question of them all: Can they be color themed? This is important.

Azure J

How can someone in ASS tier be in Grand Finals. You guys and your silly predictions!
If I see Dante in EVO grand finals and they do Cold Shower after a Hammer, I will be so mad.

It's actually bugging me seeing PR Rog do this nowadays. :lol

I mean, it's effective and whatnot for when it's a wrap for one character, but the way it scales shit... I mean damn.

Oh, this is neat. Viper/Dante/Strider is a team I looked at from so long ago, but will never play. Viper's execution barrier for being decent is easily the highest I've seen thus far. :(

Dahbomb

Viper/Dante/Strider is one of the best Viper teams in the game and also a team that abuses Vajra to the absolute maximum. I have been saying this since day 1 of Marvel.

Dahbomb

I am REEEAAALLLYY curious if a Firebrand team makes the cut.

I am pretty sure Wesker/Vergil/Magneto gets mentioned and maybe Dormammu/Wesker/Magneto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom