• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am REEEAAALLLYY curious if a Firebrand team makes the cut.

Considering Firebrand teams are the only ones so far that can kill an entire team from one touch, I say they should be there. Still, we'll have to wait and see.

As for the 3 characters I expect to be in grand finals at EVO...

-Vergil
-Dante
-Rocket Raccoon

...Ok, I don't actually believe an RR will get to GF (well, unless Kusoru can repeat what he did before that is), BUT I WANT ONE TO, OK?! D:

More seriously, I think Doom will very likely get to the finals. I mean, fucking missiles.

God damn... now THIS is what I wanted to see.

Viscant breaking down the UMVC3 meta game characters and players wise while focusing on the teams aspect.

He totally accepted Seth's challenge.

LMAO @ Viscant referring to Phoenix as "pure and beautiful maiden" while referring to Morrigan as "evil impure succubus".
Viscant is just mad that he can't touch her. This is a common complaint from men.

:p
Yeah, but Guilty Gear is considered the hardest game ever, so coming in with only noob experience (like, I just tried to zone all day with Dizzy) doesn't sound appealing...
Doesn't sound like your kind of game in that case.

Solune

God's Beard's full combos got me contemplating, anyone have a gimmick / flashy combo you like to do just for the heck of it even if it's not practical? My favorite combo right now is with Strider > S > Excalibur H (QCF+H) > M > double jump > HS. There's strangely badass about flying upwards and bringing the opponent back down.

God's Beard's full combos got me contemplating, anyone have a gimmick / flashy combo you like to do just for the heck of it even if it's not practical? My favorite combo right now is with Strider > S > Excalibur H (QCF+H) > M > double jump > HS. There's strangely badass about flying upwards and bringing the opponent back down.

I used to have a solo combo with Joe that did around 800k for two bars, but it completely ate up the hitstun so it was nearly unusable.

Azure J

Honestly, I just make shit up on the fly. (Shoutouts to 40 moves) I wish if I had remembered everything I did in a recent match where I ended the set with Dance Macabre - Snap Back as Dante just because I wanted that extra "fuck you".

Goddamnit, this game brings out salt I never knew I possessed. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We need another Mahvel combo exhibition. At like EVO or something. Just to see the most stylish, impractical shit someone can come up with. And ban Desk from entering.

http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/6103286-viscants-umvc3-team-tier-list-part-1-of-3

I definitely prefer the sextoy review but this Viscant breakdown is alright I guess.
Wow, so Viscant is on the theoryfighter bus. I like it, and look forward to the rest. Also, I think Viscant is projecting his difficulties with women onto Morrigan... >_>

Considering Firebrand teams are the only ones so far that can kill an entire team from one touch, I say they should be there. Still, we'll have to wait and see.

As for the 3 characters I expect to be in grand finals at EVO...

-Vergil
-Dante
-Rocket Raccoon

...Ok, I don't actually believe an RR will get to GF (well, unless Kusoru can repeat what he did before that is), BUT I WANT ONE TO, OK?! D:

More seriously, I think Doom will very likely get to the finals. I mean, fucking missiles.
The problem with Firebrand teams is that ToD entire teams is that you need a good assist to get Firebrand in. And who would that person be that works so well with Firebrand and Skrull?
Sentinel or Dr. Strange.

Doesn't sound like your kind of game in that case.
:-(

Honestly, I just make shit up on the fly. (Shoutouts to 40 moves) I wish if I had remembered everything I did in a recent match where I ended the set with Dance Macabre - Snap Back as Dante just because I wanted that extra "fuck you".

Goddamnit, this game brings out salt I never knew I possessed. :lol
I think this is one of the virtues of videogames. When "studies" come out that claim videogames make people more violent, I saw "awesome". It's healthy to be in touch with our violent natures. Fighting games are a good way to express it.

anddd i bought a playstation vita and umvc3. got marvel today in the mail and the vita is coming on friday. of course im going to purchase the shuma and jill, but wondering if i need a memory card to save them on (i know its crapcoms stupid on disc/cartridge unlock). ive read conflicting reports online that umvc3 on vita does *not* need a memory card, even though the box states that you do. i probably wont be able to get a memory card until next week, that being said..

GGs God's Beard. The movement on your Magneto is pretty stellar.

GGs Karst, I kept getting worse as the set went on...

unable to hitconfirm online + firebrand setups = rage salt
Well, I thought our connection was a huge improvement since last time, minus a few games around the 20 mark. I think your hit confirmations would be better if you did multiple c.Ls with Magneto - I noticed you tended to go right into c.LMHS sometimes. I kept messing up the Stalking Flare setups somehow, and you were able to jump away from them a few times. I've never fought someone smart enough to raw tag out of the setup either, so I'm like "Uhhh, what do I do there again?" I'm in love with the 200% setup through. It just feels so good to kill one character with 1D2C, and then have a guaranteed death awaiting the next character.

anddd i bought a playstation vita and umvc3. got marvel today in the mail and the vita is coming on friday. of course im going to purchase the shuma and jill, but wondering if i need a memory card to save them on (i know its crapcoms stupid on disc/cartridge unlock). ive read conflicting reports online that umvc3 on vita does *not* need a memory card, even though the box states that you do. i probably wont be able to get a memory card until next week, that being said..
I know almost nothing about this, but doesn't the Vita need a memory card to save anything at all? And this game wants you to save stuff...I don't know if that means you can't play or what, though.

Well, I thought our connection was a huge improvement since last time, minus a few games around the 20 mark. I think your hit confirmations would be better if you did multiple c.Ls with Magneto - I noticed you tended to go right into c.LMHS sometimes. I kept messing up the Stalking Flare setups somehow, and you were able to jump away from them a few times. I've never fought someone smart enough to raw tag out of the setup either, so I'm like "Uhhh, what do I do there again?" I'm in love with the 200% setup through. It just feels so good to kill one character with 1D2C, and then have a guaranteed death awaiting the next character.

I like LMH! My blast loop works better with it than multiple Ls, and I don't have a problem seeing the hit, but every time I did S on block I was trying to fly cancel but there were dropped frames or I fucked up I guess. Basically any time I whiff a normal I try to input something but I guess I need to adjust the timing online. I basically turned into a dumbass for most of the middle matches and mashed buttons on wakeup out of frustration.

I tried to be more patient against Firebrand, with mixed success. Your Dormammu makes me sad. So many orbs.

Dartastic

I'm picking up Vergil a bit, and I'm trying to nail down the DF H into super.... and I just can't get the timing. Is there a trick to it?

...wait a second. I think I got it. Full Half circle? that's different. FUCK YEAH I JUST LANDED MY FIRST TWO METER SOLO 600 DAMAGE VERGIL COMBO AND IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

You could also just teleport and cancel that.

I guess the reason a half circle works well is because since it's slower than a qcf, it helps with the timing.

You need a memory card for the game annoyingly.

rexor0717

I've been working on a flashy Akuma combo. It don't do amazing damage, but its fun and even uses his teleport.

McNum

Yes this is vital to all people playing this game who want to be good at it.
It is. A properly fabulous team is what separates a team from be a team and my team.

Seriously, though, Cap (Shield Slash)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)/Taskmaster. What assist does Taskmaster bring to that? I can see potential in both horizontal and parabolic shot.

I like LMH! My blast loop works better with it than multiple Ls, and I don't have a problem seeing the hit, but every time I did S on block I was trying to fly cancel but there were dropped frames or I fucked up I guess. Basically any time I whiff a normal I try to input something but I guess I need to adjust the timing online. I basically turned into a dumbass for most of the middle matches and mashed buttons on wakeup out of frustration.

I tried to be more patient against Firebrand, with mixed success. Your Dormammu makes me sad. So many orbs.
Definitely an execution error on your end IMO - I fly-cancel everything with Morrigan and never have a problem online. Dropped inputs are actually pretty rare online, and I think people just use it to cover up poor execution.

I don't think being patient against Firebrand is the way to go against my setup. I'm all-too-happy to let you be patient while calling Dark Harmonizer. It basically means I get to start the fight "for real" whenever I want with an extra 3-4 bars of meter.

Thank you for the Dormammu compliment. The last few days I've been playing a lot, and I have most of my rust off - I feel like I'm getting back to where I was in Vanilla.

I'm picking up Vergil a bit, and I'm trying to nail down the DF H into super.... and I just can't get the timing. Is there a trick to it?

...wait a second. I think I got it. Full Half circle? that's different. FUCK YEAH I JUST LANDED MY FIRST TWO METER SOLO 600 DAMAGE VERGIL COMBO AND IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
Use M+H.

Why is this? I noticed this too when doing Vergil's trials that M+H works better.

Does using the H for High Rise eat inputs of L+M or something?
You have to cancel the df.H before going into his hyper, and you cancel it via H. If you just input the hyper with M+H, the H push counts as your cancellation and the hyper input. It's the same reason Dormammu can be really frustrating sometimes, because if you do qcb.AA while you have Dark Spells, the game decides that you Liberated them and then canceled into Stalking Flare. Absolutely maddening when this happens.

It is. A properly fabulous team is what separates a team from be a team and my team.

Seriously, though, Cap (Shield Slash)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)/Taskmaster. What assist does Taskmaster bring to that? I can see potential in both horizontal and parabolic shot.
Horizontal Arrows are the clear answer.

I tried anti-air grabbing you a couple times out of the dive kick, but that didn't work out so well... playing against aerial characters is rough without my log trap assist, and my raccoon is free like costco samples.
Definitely an execution error on your end IMO - I fly-cancel everything with Morrigan and never have a problem online. Dropped inputs are actually pretty rare online, and I think people just use it to cover up poor execution.
Is there a difference in timing at all online? I just went to a casuals session a couple days ago and had no problem with hit confirms. I always feel like I have to do things earlier than I see them, or something like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Viscant with that Viscant-tier write-up. Good, easy, informative read. Glad he took Seth's challenge and put tier lists on blast.

Secretly trying to get hired by Capcom confirmed.

I tried anti-air grabbing you a couple times out of the dive kick, but that didn't work out so well... playing against aerial characters is rough without my log trap assist, and my raccoon is free like costco samples.
Firebrand's Dive Kick is +11 on block, and aerial Bon Voyage is +10. It's best just to pushblock, though it might be interesting to try and dash back after blocking the first and trying to land a c.H. Luckily, I'm absolutely terrible at hit confirming off of Firebrand's Dive Kick, so you can mess up a lot against it with small consequence, haha. It's one of the things I want to work on.

Our matches were the first time I was really making use of qcb.M, qcb.H series with Firebrand to swing back and forth in the air to mess with someone. I definitely felt like that was the peak of my Firebrand play thus far, though my hit confirmations have gotten worse.

Is there a difference in timing at all online? I just went to a casuals session a couple days ago and had no problem with hit confirms.
Yeah, there's a difference in timing. How big the difference is depends on the connection. I felt like ours was pretty smooth (like a 9/10 if I had to give it a rating, aside from those few odd bumpy matches in the middle). It's definitely the kind of thing that can mess up a Magnetic Blast loop if you're not used to it. IMO, if you want to keep playing online, I'd stick to basic fly combos with Magneto until you're more comfortable with the timing differences.

Viscant with that Viscant-tier write-up. Good, easy, informative read. Glad he took Seth's challenge and put tier lists on blast.

Viscant knows that Zero needs nerfs, which already makes him more qualified than the folks at Capcom.

Firebrand's Dive Kick is +11 on block, and aerial Bon Voyage is +10.

Yes... I noticed this in the last couple games and almost shat myself how quick your attacks came out after landing.

Yeah, there's a difference in timing. How big the difference is depends on the connection. I felt like ours was pretty smooth (like a 9/10 if I had to give it a rating, aside from those few odd bumpy matches in the middle). It's definitely the kind of thing that can mess up a Magnetic Blast loop if you're not used to it. IMO, if you want to keep playing online, I'd stick to basic fly combos with Magneto until you're more comfortable with the timing differences.

That's what it is, then, I'm just doing my offline timing for everything and inputting stuff too early. The problem with online is, I used to just do fly combos, but I never practice those offline because I never use them for pretty much anything but TACs so I wind up fucking up because I try to do the Hs super fast lol

Vice

Just try to see which one works best for you in some games or training mode if you can't decide. Parabolic doesn't have the same lock down potential as HM, so I think Task's more straightforward assist would be better. If you decide to use H.arrows switch Cap's assist to something else.

shaowebb

I would actually support Viscant getting hired by Capcom. He has a lot of analysis skill and he really understands team building and fighting games. Sure he used Phoenix to win EVO, but the guy pretty much was one of the guys who helped make people realize she wasn't "Freenix" to begin with. He picks up on things pretty quick like that.

I'd love to see what sort of assists he would have suggested cast be given to make the team building potential of the cast better. That and what sort of nerfs/buffs he would have wanted to give the cast out of Vanilla.

LOL GB, you got quoted in the "best gaf post of all time" thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12605940&postcount=233

I would actually support Viscant getting hired by Capcom. He has a lot of analysis skill and he really understands team building and fighting games. Sure he used Phoenix to win EVO, but the guy pretty much was one of the guys who helped make people realize she wasn't "Freenix" to begin with. He picks up on things pretty quick like that.

I'd love to see what sort of assists he would have suggested cast be given to make the team building potential of the cast better. That and what sort of nerfs/buffs he would have wanted to give the cast out of Vanilla.
Viscant was one of a handful of people that really understood how good Double Lariat was. Everyone else was complaining about how he was a low tier character, but Viscant decided he'd rather win Evo than complain.

Solune

I've been working on a flashy Akuma combo. It don't do amazing damage, but its fun and even uses his teleport.

Yo this sounds godlike... Also I've been reworking my combo, now involves two rawtags. Vergil > Spencer > Vergil. One day I may rawtag 4 times.

SmokeMaxX

Just try to see which one works best for you in some games or training mode if you can't decide. Parabolic doesn't have the same lock down potential as HM, so I think Task's more straightforward assist would be better. If you decide to use H.arrows switch Cap's assist to something else.

I don't like redundancy in teams personally, but Cap- Shield Slash/Morri- (whatever)/Task Horizontal Arrows are clearly the best way to use that team.
Shield Slash is by far Cap's best assist and he needs a horizontal assist and Task's arrows are really good for Cap.

hey i also understood how good double lariat was. :p
You're one of the few honest ones, then. I got so tired of Haggar players saying "just bait and punish it, it's so easy". HOW DO I BAIT WITH DORMAMMU?! That assist almost made me drop him just because there's nothing at all that I can do.

Yo this sounds godlike... Also I've been reworking my combo, now involves two rawtags. Vergil > Spencer > Vergil. One day I may rawtag 4 times.
I always forget he has a teleport.

rexor0717

You do a ground series, cancel that into his demon flip, shoot a fireball, jump light medium heavy, light tatsu, launch, air series, demon flip into ground bouncing palm, call out Doom hidden missiles, launch again, air series, hit em back down. If you are midscreen, they are pretty far away, so teleport over as the missiles pick them up. Then heavy shoryuken into beam hyper. It does 711k. Not terrible for one meter. You can do a similar combo without the assist, and get similar damage. If you want to get super tricky, you can actually launch them again, and tatsu as you rise to do the hyper at superjump height. Hopefully, that will allow you to get a second beam hyper in there.

smurfx

get some go again
You're one of the few honest ones, then. I got so tired of Haggar players saying "just bait and punish it, it's so easy". HOW DO I BAIT WITH DORMAMMU?! That assist almost made me drop him just because there's nothing at all that I can do.
yeah the only the characters with really low crouches could punish vanilla haggar effectively. which is why i hated going up against ammy.

Bizazedo

GGs, Sasa. I think my favorite match was the timeout one where we burned through like 5 hypers trying to counter the other hypers.

mr. puppy

Banned
I don't care how smart Viscant is, he is recommending top tier teams with Doom anchor, which is incredibly stupid. You guys can't seriously be eating this up, right?

I don't care how smart Viscant is, he is recommending top tier teams with Doom anchor, which is incredibly stupid. You guys can't seriously be eating this up, right?

He has other teams ahead of the Doom teams probably specifically because Doom is so bad on his own, and offers only a very good, very easy to use assist. How I see it is that the Doom teams are a starting point much like how many intermediate players use Sentinel, they are very easy to use and abuse assists, that can and will get blown up in higher level play, albeit Doom to a lesser extent.

mr. puppy

Banned
He has other teams ahead of the Doom teams probably specifically because Doom is so bad on his own, and offers only a very good, very easy to use assist. How I see it is that the Doom teams are a starting point much like how many intermediate players use Sentinel, they are very easy to use and abuse assists, that can and will get blown up in higher level play, albeit Doom to a lesser extent.

doom and sentinel are both characters that are far far better in the second spot than the third, but viscant still isn't mentioning this.

something like zero/doom/vergil is far better than zero/vergil/doom

Bizazedo

How is Doom second different from Doom third there, though?

Not being sarcastic, serious question.

i.e., does the team and the battle benefit more from Vergil + Doom assist than he would Vergil solo and Doom + Vergil assist?

If so, even though he's an inferior anchor, the team still might be better with Doom in the back.

Grecco

doom and sentinel are both characters that are far far better in the second spot than the third, but viscant still isn't mentioning this.

something like zero/doom/vergil is far better than zero/vergil/doom

Id rather have Vergil with doom assist than Doom with vergil assist.

LakeEarth

At least in vanilla assists took unscaled damage if the point character blocked.

That's not true anymore?

And having Doom on anchor is not the greatest, but it's a tradeoff. Do you want crazy anchor Vergil, or crazy secondary Vergil with missiles? It's up to you to decide what's more important.

Chavelo

At least he explains why it's a good thing to have doom anchor, and he's not that bad in that position, really. Care to explain yourself why it's a "stupid" decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom