• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I've got it down to Spencer/Vergil/Magneto and Magneto/Sentinel/Raccoon. Time to grind out for EVO!

^_^

My phoenix teams are fun but I build a lot of bad habits playing them.

I tried to x-factor guard cancel and throw firebrand a couple times, but I'm guessing that doesn't work.
Demon Missile H has a pretty huge hitbox around it. It's also hard to tell where Firebrand is because he has the blurred images that travel with him.

Anyway, I just thought of some new tech, but haven't tried it yet:
Firebrand bnb, Luminous Body -> Stalking Flare, raw tag Firebrand, Dark Hole + Demon Missile H unblockable. I was trying a variation of this in training mode and it worked, but it occurs to me that I might be able to set up Firebrand unblockables from Dormammu or Firebrand getting the first hit, which would basically transform my entire team into a ToD monstrosity.

Wolverine, Spencer, VWM, DWM, Vergil/Strider duo, Sentinel teams and Phoenix teams all made the list.

ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU!!!

Come on Viscant... drop DAT Firebrand bomb! You know you want to!
HAHAHA!

DAT Iron Man listing for one of the best teams in the game. GODLIKE!!!!
Firebrand... -_-

I dont understand why teams with Wesker behind are seen as anchor wesker teams instead of teams who happen to use Weskers assist.
Almost every character in the game has a bnb that is roughly as good without an OTG assist. The assist just lets people be lazy.

Yah but he listed Joker as a player to watch, we watched Joker. And I laughed.
Joker has a lot of potential, and there's over a month to go. It would be silly to sleep on him.

Anyone around to play on PS3 shortly? Deciding between that or 360 tonight.
I would, but my wife just went to bed.

Frantic

I use anchor Wesker and regret nothing.
I sometimes wonder how scary you'd be if you had assists worth something in the neutral. At the same time, I'm glad you don't because then I'd probably stand no chance, lol.

I think I'm going to switch over to Dante/Trish/Strider. I feel it fits my style more than Dante/Vergil/Strider. Will probably switch the teams around depending on the matchup, though.

Chavelo

Good games, Beef and Bizazedo. Got kicked out of PSN for some reason, must of been my router or something. Good excuse to go to bed
which I won't be doing atm, almost level 60 WOOOO

Biz, I would like to have a FT20 with you to get more experience with Zero. I'm kinda ass atm since I got into Diablo pretty bad (I still can't believe I didn't get those simple Sentinel OTGs down D: ).

Beef... Two perfects? You're breaking my heart here. Sick comeback with Sentinel though. :D

I'm down for some more games tomorrow on Live or PSN.

Bizazedo

Good games, Beef and Bizazedo. Got kicked out of PSN for some reason, must of been my router or something. Good excuse to go to bed
which I won't be doing atm, almost level 60 WOOOO

Biz, I would like to have a FT20 with you to get more experience with Zero. I'm kinda ass atm since I got into Diablo pretty bad (I still can't believe I didn't get those simple Sentinel OTGs down D: ).
I'm down for some more games tomorrow on Live or PSN.

GGs and yeah, I'll play again. Add me on XBL, I freed up some spots.

I prefer 360, but need PS3 practice, so whichever you want.

And GGs, Beef, despite Frank being dead at the end, I doubt Nova would've beat VJ and Raccoon :).

A question for Zero players: am I supposed to block forward or backward when Zero does his lightning attack? Or is it a 50/50 and depends on how close he is when it starts?

And why do I continually have to watch people land and try to deal with incoming mix-ups when their character has an air dash? Sure, if the player does a j.H right when you get in, then block. But if your opponent is just waiting for you on the ground, dash up, fly, and get the fuck out of that corner.

Frantic

I still felt my Nova did more of the work against you two :(.
I used to get really salty over your Zero, but then I stepped up my shit and figured out his attack angles and patterns and now it's not so bad. Nowadays, I get salty over your Nova. Airthrows all day. :(

I have been in the lab regarding Nova, though. Don't know how well things will go, though. I tend to forget all my counter tech in a match. :(

A question for Zero players: am I supposed to block forward or backward when Zero does his lightning attack? Or is it a 50/50 and depends on how close he is when it starts?
Yeah, it's spacing dependent. You'll generally be able to tell when and when it won't cross up after eating about a hundred of them.

If he decides to Buster mid-way... good luck, I guess.

It's like this. However, the lighting doesn't come out very fast, so if he's charging up, just mash buttons for a full combo if he isn't backed by an assist.
Can you describe the circumstances more thoroughly?

Alukard basically showing a good Iron Man and that he's not low tier garbage. He still missed follow ups after a raw Spread but, we can't all be perfect.
I think Iron Man would be used a lot more if his c.H was a full-screen tracking missile, and it was an assist. There's no reason for it not to be. Gives him something unique to play with.

Yeah, it's spacing dependent. You'll generally be able to tell when and when it won't cross up after eating about a hundred of them.

If he decides to Buster mid-way... good luck, I guess.
Far away at the start = block forward, close at start = block in reverse, right? I feel like I should be able to throw him right before the lightning arrives.

Dahbomb

I think Iron Man would be used a lot more if his c.H was a full-screen tracking missile, and it was an assist. There's no reason for it not to be. Gives him something unique to play with.
He needs the ADDF start up change so badly it hurts. Without a proper way to approach from either the air or the ground, he can't utilize his solid tools properly (mix ups, normals priority, pressure etc). If only all his dashes were as good as his up/down dash.

Having a safe hyper, a ground wave dash and his knee dive to protect underneath him when he is jumping with his floaty ass jump would help A LOT. Smart Bombs have a slower fall speed ala Magnetic Blasts or old school Smart Bombs would help too.

Cr.H is fine, it's a solid normal for spacing/zoning and you can also use it to approach as a blocked cr.H is + on block if cancelled into flight mode. If it was tracking then that would be great too... it would help him in approaches and cover more angles in zoning. It's a bonus and I would take it but I would like those other changes first before getting into the extra stuff.

Also I think Repulsar Blast is unique enough. You don't get bonus points for being unique.

Frantic

Far away at the start = block forward, close at start = block in reverse, right? I feel like I should be able to throw him right before the lightning arrives.
Pretty much. There's also a special spot where he'll land in the middle of the character's model, and can end up in front or behind a character depending on pixels and how big the character is. Only happens once in a while, and usually on incoming. It's really dumb, though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone else feeling like SoCal has fallen way behind in this game? Just seems like NorCal and East Coast are both taking it much more seriously.

Anyone else feeling like SoCal has fallen way behind in this game? Just seems like NorCal and East Coast are both taking it much more seriously.
I honestly don't pay any attention to the geography of the players. If you want to name who you're thinking of, that'd mean something to me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I honestly don't pay any attention to the geography of the players. If you want to name who you're thinking of, that'd mean something to me.
I'll just go down the list.

Every time I look at a NorCal stream there's Zeros or Vergils or Vipers everywhere and the FGTV guys are constantly grinding it out.

Marlinpie comes up with some crazy tech or swag combo at every tournament, Chris G is constantly improving his main team in addition to constantly experimenting with new side teams, Dieminion actually has legit combos now, and while Yipes doesn't show up to play very often he usually makes waves when he does and by all accounts spends a lot of time leveling up.

Justin complains about Morrigan/Doom on Twitter instead of coming up with a way to beat it, Combofiend is in constant team crisis, Viscant does well but doesn't have a team that he can exploit as well as his classic one, and Fanatiq sandbags every time he's on stream. TRB regulars get blown up by LLND, Royal Flush, and Shuma players.

Am I painting too broad a brush or does anyone else sort of have the same impression?

I wanna make a team with Ryu and Nova. Who would potentially make a good third? I'm thinking Wesker just because...you know, Wesker. I'm not even sure what the team order would be.

Been messing around with Chris lately and this guy is just way too fun. With the right assist he can be deal out some brutal damage. Might replace hawkeye with Chris on my main team for a bit and see how that works out for me.

Vice

A lot of the good SoCal players don't show up on streams very much, like Knives, and the ones that do place well in majors. Then there's a busload of guys who never travel outside of Cali who are great players like Vader or Infrit. The ones that do travel all do well for the most part.

As far as characters go, every region has characters it prefers. LLND and RF are both good players so getting blown up by them doesn't mean the region is falling behind others. It just hasn't hopped on all of the bandwagons for UMVC3 for the most part.

Justin complains about Morrigan/Doom on Twitter instead of coming up with a way to beat it, Combofiend is in constant team crisis, Viscant does well but doesn't have a team that he can exploit as well as his classic one, and Fanatiq sandbags every time he's on stream. TRB regulars get blown up by LLND, Royal Flush, and Shuma players.

Am I painting too broad a brush or does anyone else sort of have the same impression?
I think all these characterizations are fair, but a lot of it is in response to the shifting metagame. People are just now figuring out how great of an anchor Vergil is, how strong Morrigan can be, Zero is starting to get realized, Kusoru just blew up the USA's understanding of character tiers, etc. My feeling is that a lot of players are going through team crises right now, and everyone is torn because Evo is around the corner and it's just not the right time for this. Plus SFxT came out, and people wanted to be good at that before people realized they didn't like it, so that took up time. Is F. Champ NorCal or SoCal? He seems to have his act together. And who even knows what happened to Floe...

The thing about guys like LLND, Flush, and Foo (Shuma player), is that they use teams people don't know how to handle. I get rocked by Shuma-Gorath and Hsien-ko sometimes just because I'm not used to the situations. Remember when F. Champ got blown up by Arthur? Plus those are good teams, and I don't think we should discredit LLND and co. just because they don't place high in tournaments - they also don't go to most tournaments. I've played plenty of people on PSN that I think could give tournament winners a run for their money. Sometimes it's just about presence, and the guys you listed are always yapping, which somehow equates to them supposedly being top players. No intentions of slamming Fanatiq, but has he ever won a major?

Let's not forget that Justin Wong got perfected by PR Balrog last Evo. He's a great player with great fundamentals, but nothing has shown that his team strategy thoughts are particularly astounding in this game. It just doesn't seem to have clicked for him like Marvel 2 did. ComboFiend is another player that mostly made it by on strong fundamentals, and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's struggling as people learn the game on a deeper level. Sometimes it takes a few butt whoopings to make people realize that they need to put more work in. Alternatively, maybe the time has simply passed for some of these guys being top players. JWong can't be #1 forever.

I think all these characterizations are fair, but a lot of it is in response to the shifting metagame. People are just now figuring out how great of an anchor Vergil is, how strong Morrigan can be, Zero is starting to get realized, Kusoru just blew up the USA's understanding of character tiers, etc. My feeling is that a lot of players are going through team crises right now, and everyone is torn because Evo is around the corner and it's just not the right time for this. Plus SFxT came out, and people wanted to be good at that before people realized they didn't like it, so that took up time. Is F. Champ NorCal or SoCal? He seems to have his act together. And who even knows what happened to Floe...

The thing about guys like LLND, Flush, and Foo (Shuma player), is that they use teams people don't know how to handle. I get rocked by Shuma-Gorath and Hsien-ko sometimes just because I'm not used to the situations. Remember when F. Champ got blown up by Arthur? Plus those are good teams, and I don't think we should discredit LLND and co. just because they don't place high in tournaments - they also don't go to most tournaments. I've played plenty of people on PSN that I think could give tournament winners a run for their money. Sometimes it's just about presence, and the guys you listed are always yapping, which somehow equates to them supposedly being top players. No intentions of slamming Fanatiq, but has he ever won a major?

Let's not forget that Justin Wong got perfected by PR Balrog last Evo. He's a great player with great fundamentals, but nothing has shown that his team strategy thoughts are particularly astounding in this game. It just doesn't seem to have clicked for him like Marvel 2 did. ComboFiend is another player that mostly made it by on strong fundamentals, and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's struggling as people learn the game on a deeper level. Sometimes it takes a few butt whoopings to make people realize that they need to put more work in. Alternatively, maybe the time has simply passed for some of these guys being top players. JWong can't be #1 forever.
Well said.

I-hate-u

East Coast tho have been stepping it up in the last couple months in marvel. If there is another EC vs WC @ Evo, I think EC can give WC a run for its money.

I don't knw if its mentioned here yet, but Combo quit his job to focus for something gaming related. Hopefully he actually practices marvel for EVO as he is my fav player for sure

smurfx

get some go again
i think the socal scene is boring. i don't even make it a habit of watching the runback because i'm just not that interested. my fav players are guys like llnd, royal flush and airtola. which funny enough always played together at friday night fraud search. kinda wish those guys could throw more events as i think they could have leveled up even more. plus this was one event i could go to since it was closer to me than the runback. ;__;

I'll just go down the list.

Every time I look at a NorCal stream there's Zeros or Vergils or Vipers everywhere and the FGTV guys are constantly grinding it out.

Marlinpie comes up with some crazy tech or swag combo at every tournament, Chris G is constantly improving his main team in addition to constantly experimenting with new side teams, Dieminion actually has legit combos now, and while Yipes doesn't show up to play very often he usually makes waves when he does and by all accounts spends a lot of time leveling up.

The only tweets I heard about Morrigan coming out of Justin was

"I'm lab on her when I get home" and "grats to Chris G because doing that shit isn't easy."

As for Combo I think he's sticking with his Vanilla team for good.

Even though EC is holding it down in top 8, if you look at top 32 results it's always seem to be very SoCal heavy. I think SoCal has more good players than most of the EC it just they don't have that Marlin/Chis G status guy (the really really fucking good players). It seems like every socal guy except Jint either won or made it out of their pools at UFGT8. I've been noticing this since MVC2 really. It seems like every year Socal owns 9th - 32nd place at EVO. While EC usually has that one or two guy in the top 5. Last year it happened to be Pr Balrog, and Noel Brown the rest were all WC (and when I say WC I basically mean Socal or Norcal lol).

Grecco

North Cal tiers it up. But they arent more solid. For the most part i think East Coast and SoCal are more solid players.

Justin? Hes still the best, yeah he got perfected at Evo, but that was vanilla Marvel vs an incredibly cheap team against a player who was having the run of his life. Hes building a specicically cheap team now in his Spencer team and hes incredibly solid, experienced with great fundamental.s

Chavelo

North Cal tiers it up. But they arent more solid. For the most part i think East Coast and SoCal are more solid players.

Justin? Hes still the best, yeah he got perfected at Evo, but that was vanilla Marvel vs an incredibly cheap team against a player who was having the run of his life. Hes building a specicically cheap team now in his Spencer team and hes incredibly solid, experienced with great fundamental.s

Still the best? I dunno, man.

You gotta keep on showing that you're the best for people to keep calling you the best, know what I'm saying?

Tobe

So I had a ft5 with honzo gonzo yesterday, we were trying new teams, I was using team omgidroppedcomboz(Vergil/Magnus/wesker) and honzo was running morri doom vergil. It was fun I don't have the link right now but it was recorded yesterday and it all starts around the 2 hour mark.

Azure J

You know, one thing I really appreciate about this game (and perhaps its most addictive aspect) is how often I can look at certain setups, team compositions and the like and realize that there are always more efficient ways to do things. Like the footage of MorriDoom with Vergil just now made me realize that one of my biggest issues which I had when playing the team was timing the switches between Vergil & Morrigan on point.

And then I realized just today that Dark Harmonizer and Rapid Slash are godlike alpha counters. Build a ton of meter as Morrigan through sou sou, when the pressure gets too bad, alpha into stupid fast and invincible Rapid Slash. When you don't feel confident in handling things with Vergil backed by missiles alone, or if Verg needs time to rest, Alpha Counter into Morrigan and get some freebie meter.

Holy shit this could be so much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom