• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he use x-factor or not? I know of four characters who can do it without X-factor, one of which is my Zero :). But if Doom doesn't need X-factor, that'd be 5.
No X-Factor, but it was a TAC. However, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a TAC off on Phoenix, since she has to mash sideways.

We still need to play, btw.
We'll get there - no rush!

I didn't see this specific example, but how it works "normally"..

X-factor version:

You TAC up lets say. You CANCEL it with X-factor. The Phoenix player was countering side. Technically, he "failed" the counter and the attempted counter is eaten by the up TAC, but since you cancelled it, you can now do a side TAC. Apparently there is a time limit in how many counters can be attempted within a set period of time, so he's unable to counter the following side TAC.

IF he had instead countered going up, you never get the chance to cancel it. OR if he hadn't been countering at all, he can still counter the second side TAC.
Are you sure about this part? Then I don't see the problem of TAC-canceling, since if your opponent was guessing right in the first place it still gets countered. I thought the whole point was that these TACs are unstoppable.

NON-X-factor version:

Bearing in mind that I haven't seen the vid to see what Marlin did, s'far as I know 4 characters can cancel their TACS without x-factor. Spider-man, Zero, Chun Li, and Morrigan.

For Zero (all I cared about at the time), he has to enter a neutral state mid air combo. He does this using the level 3 Buster. So I can release Buster, TAC up, cancel it with an air dash, TAC sideways.

Everything else about it works the same as X-factor version.
Hmm. Interesting.

You dash and TAC at the same time during a neutral state which makes the TAC never come out, then you just do another one. They can't guess a second time for 15 frames, so they have to break the 1st TAC rather than the 2nd. So you can do an up TAC against a Phoenix player mashing sideways, then do a sideways tag.

I bet Dante could do it if you flight canceled at the end of Devil Trigger, but his TACs are too slow to be useful really.
Why can some air dash characters use the glitch but others can't?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Why can some air dash characters use the glitch but others can't?

Don't know the reason but it's usually the characters with weird airdashes for some reason. Zero, Chun, Spider-man, Morrigan. But for some reason only them and not Skrull.

But I guess Doom breaks that since he has a regular 8-way airdash.

You can't say something like this and not say a name :(.

what was his name?

Haha I did leave it out. Taekua, he's like #5 or something on the leaderboards. Legit good, and he's going to EVO with some of Mexico's other good players too iirc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGmoFyg56M&list=UUFtC8DfX5W5oL1J9UBAXEcg&index=2&feature=plcp

About an hour of him vs Stone, his Vergil doesn't really do work till about 7-8 minutes in in that vidja. Think the play in that video with no drops and better mixups, it's from about a month ago.

smurfx

get some go again
Haha I did leave it out. Taekua, he's like #5 or something on the leaderboards. Legit good, and he's going to EVO with some of Mexico's other good players too iirc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGmoFyg56M&list=UUFtC8DfX5W5oL1J9UBAXEcg&index=2&feature=plcp

About an hour of him vs Stone, his Vergil doesn't really do work till about 7-8 minutes in in that vidja. Think the play in that video with no drops and better mixups, it's from about a month ago.
if it makes you feel better i beat him yesterday. :p not gonna lie i did lose a few against him though. i've played him before though but i don't remember if he was using his vergil team.

Bizazedo

Are you sure about this part? Then I don't see the problem of TAC-canceling, since if your opponent was guessing right in the first place it still gets countered. I thought the whole point was that these TACs are unstoppable.

Pretty sure, yeah. They're definitely not unstoppable, it just becomes very mindgame-y.

if it makes you feel better i beat him yesterday. :p not gonna lie i did lose a few against him though. i've played him before though but i don't remember if he was using his vergil team.

I really do think your team is a good counterpick towards a lot of the common RTSD teams. The only reason I can fight you is I know your habits, now, to be blunt.

mr. puppy

Banned
That Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix team Chris G. was running is sick. I hope he runs that some more instead of the Doom/Morrigan team. And that Marlin Tech to stop Dark Phoenix was sick too. This years Evo could be amazing

I was most impressed with how he used Phoenix. He doesn't just have Phoenix sit on the bench and wait until the other two characters are dead...he kept bringing her in, using her assist, and showing some cool stuff that a lot of phoenix players don't use.

Azure J

Has this been posted?

Someone PLEASE convince me not to invest time in Sentinel. :lol

Meanwhile, more team juggling from me. Current trio looks like this:

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira)
Dante (Weasel Shot)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Strider (Vajira)
Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)

Overall advantages to this include learning multiple configurations with a smaller pool of characters means I can actually step it up with each one at a good pace, I have decent amount of understanding of the four and I get to have Felicia in my rotations. (<3)

Access to Grapple unblockable resets is also something I really didn't appreciate enough when I started with the Dante/Felicia/Strider team.

Edit: Chris G's Phoenix is the Phoenix I wanted to see in action since Vanilla. Sixfortyfive and Dah will vouch for me on that. :lol

mr. puppy

Banned
Has this been posted?

Overall advantages to this include learning multiple configurations with a smaller pool of characters means I can actually step it up with each one at a good pace, I have decent amount of understanding of the four and I get to have Felicia in my rotations. (<3)

Access to Grapple unblockable resets is also something I really didn't appreciate enough when I started with the Dante/Felicia/Strider team.

Edit: Chris G's Phoenix is the Phoenix I wanted to see in action since Vanilla. Sixfortyfive and Dah will vouch for me on that. :lol

sentinel is fine second if you have a good assist in the back, but if you put felicia back there like this dude does, he is just gonna die. maybe you're better off with felicia/sentinel/dante?

Azure J

That was more of a joke than anything serious regarding Sentinel. I'm going to try and see what I can come up with using my setups. I just wish if I could stop thinking of assists as means to control neutral and do something creative with them beyond Rolling Buckler setups.

That Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix team Chris G. was running is sick. I hope he runs that some more instead of the Doom/Morrigan team. And that Marlin Tech to stop Dark Phoenix was sick too. This years Evo could be amazing
It's a troll team. I don't think he takes it seriously.

Has this been posted?

The thing about Sentinel is that he's like a Dr. Doom that is worse on point, but with better hypers.

sentinel is fine second if you have a good assist in the back, but if you put felicia back there like this dude does, he is just gonna die. maybe you're better off with felicia/sentinel/dante?
I suppose Felicia could set up unblockables for him.

mr. puppy

Banned
i wonder if thats the right way to use Phoenix in this game. Instead of blowing all your resources and time trying to get the meter for Dark Phoenix, why don't you have the guy you're playing with blow meter, etc. on getting her dead while you actually use her for a lot of the great utility shit she can do.

i'm gonna work on this....i wonder what a good battery would be hmmmm. I'll start with Spencer/Morrigan/Phoenix and just fail upwords I guess.

Solune

Ubisoft was the only redeeming factor from E3.

There shares rose due to it.

Hype for AC3.
Gaming is dead. But seriously I was hyped for

The Last of Us - And I'm not even a ND fan or Uncharted fan or w/e
AC3 - Ship battles were hype as fuck
P-100 - Kamiya
Metal Gear Rising - Platinum Games and it looks sick.

And some moderate interest in some other titles

Has this been posted?

Yo damn, that TAC combo is similar to what I've been working on but way better.

Dahbomb

Gaming is definitely at a low point. In previous E3s I usually got excited for at least half a dozen games coming out in the following year. This year it's basically only a couple at best.

I guess it's probably because it's towards the end of the generation and we are in this weird transition phase. Pretty sure next E3 is going to be genuinely hype with the reveal of next-gen hardware from Sony/Microsoft.

Grecco

For as much hate E3 is getting im still plenty excited about a ton of stuff. Love Halo and COD, and Splinter Cell, and Tomb Raider and ACreed so im in on all of that.

AssCreed, Watchdogs, and some other stuff is what I'm looking forward to.

Basically, stuff that ain't coming out until later this year, at the earliest.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Them showing Paper Mario just makes me want a 3DS more. Which sucks because I'm still trying to hold out for the redesign because I hate the battery life on the thing.

Them showing Paper Mario just makes me want a 3DS more. Which sucks because I'm still trying to hold out for the redesign because I hate the battery life on the thing.

The whole sticker thing for Paper Mario makes me worried. But I liked all three games (though I never got to finish SPM), so Ninty still has my interest for this one.

To some degree, I think I'm a bit bitter that the game I originally bought my PS3 for, The Last Guardian, is who-knows-where in development still. My favorite RPG franchise, Final Fantasy, has become less and less interesting, and the genre as a whole seems stagnant. I pretty much enjoy 4 kinds of games:
1) Action games.
2) Platformers.
3) RPGs.
4) Unique experiences (something like Knights in the Nightmare, for example).

Category 1 was solid this generation with Bayonetta, but Bayonetta 2 was canceled, and Capcom is outsourcing Devil May Cry. Nintendo has my back on platformers, so no worries there. RPGs are few and far between, but I have Xenoblade and am excited to play through it. Unique experiences seem on the rise though, especially with the Wii U. I'm excited to screw people over as the Zombie Master in ZombiU, and to mess with friends in new, innovative ways in NSMBWiiU. Still, I feel like gameplay innovation has taken a backseat to graphics. I am genuinely confused when a 360/PS3 owner says "the next generation needs to get here ASAP, because I'm getting bored". I don't get this, because unless Microsoft or Sony have some big secret, the next generation is just going to be a prettier version of this generation. Why are so many people getting bored of graphics instead of games? I can only assume it's because the modern gamer really isn't much of a gamer at all, and thus could care less whether he plays the game or a QTE does it for him.

a troll team that beats marlinpie is worth looking in to
Not unless you can use Morrigan like he can. Morrigan was carrying that team, not Phoenix. Most people can't even play Morrigan backed by Hidden Missiles and do well against someone like MarlinPie. ChrisG is just that good.

JeTmAn81

To some degree, I think I'm a bit bitter that the game I originally bought my PS3 for, The Last Guardian, is who-knows-where in development still. My favorite RPG franchise, Final Fantasy, has become less and less interesting, and the genre as a whole seems stagnant. I pretty much enjoy 4 kinds of games:
1) Action games.
2) Platformers.
3) RPGs.

Category 1 was solid this generation with Bayonetta, but Bayonetta 2 was canceled, and Capcom is outsourcing Devil May Cry. Nintendo has my back on platformers, so no worries there. RPGs are few and far between, but I have Xenoblade and am excited to play through it. Unique experiences seem on the rise though, especially with the Wii U. I'm excited to screw people over as the Zombie Master in ZombiU, and to mess with friends in new, innovative ways in NSMBWiiU. Still, I feel like gameplay innovation has taken a backseat to graphics. I am genuinely confused when a 360/PS3 owner says "the next generation needs to get here ASAP, because I'm getting bored". I don't get this, because unless Microsoft or Sony have some big secret, the next generation is just going to be a prettier version of this generation. Why are so many people getting bored of graphics instead of games? I can only assume it's because the modern gamer really isn't much of a gamer at all, and thus could care less whether he plays the game or a QTE does it for him.

I laugh when this game gets brought up. The development cycle has been ridiculous. And yet, people tend to forget how long it took you to make something if that something ends up being amazing. It's always better to wait longer for something good instead of getting something bad sooner.

Anyway, this generation does seem pretty stagnant but I don't think a new set of hardware will change all that. Like you said, that would probably just change the graphics. And yet, new paradigms have already been attempted within this generation (motion control, camera recognition) which, if not groundshaking, do present different ways to play games.

The WiiU might have something to offer with its tablet stuff, but I don't know if MS and Sony will really have anything innovative beyond the aforementioned graphics boosts. It seems like the most interesting games these days are indies. Maybe it's because those games are so cheap, but people really relish the opportunity to play an old-school platformer like Super Meat Boy. Journey and Fez are a couple of games that have made waves more recently with their innovative designs and playstyles.

Grecco

1) Action games.
2) Platformers.
3) RPGs.

You can make an argument that with faster computers, better cpus, hen you get ne experiences. Things like Dead Rising werent really possible before this gen, so who knows what is possible with stronger systems?

and yes i know there were hacked ports of DR on things like the Wii and mobile phones. They dont count.

You can make an argument that with faster computers, better cpus, hen you get ne experiences. Things like Dead Rising werent really possible before this gen, so who knows what is possible with stronger systems?
and yes i know there were hacked ports of DR on things like the Wii and mobile phones. They dont count.
I think we're past the point where "more stuff on the screen" can provide a new experience. That's the only thing Dead Rising needed this generation for. I'm not trying to say that better systems offer no opportunities for new experiences. I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to be bored with the current generation when there are clearly so many new ideas to explore.

If you're like me, and you like to see innovation in games, the next generation might make that even more infrequent. Higher development costs increase risk, so developers will want to play it safer than ever.

I laugh when this game gets brought up. The development cycle has been ridiculous. And yet, people tend to forget how long it took you to make something if that something ends up being amazing. It's always better to wait longer for something good instead of getting something bad sooner.
I don't mind it taking a while for TLG to come out. I do want some kind of gameplay info or update beyond "we're still working on it". I'm patient, but I'm also worried because this development cycle is not due to quality assurance. It's because of intra-company conflicts.

Anyway, this generation does seem pretty stagnant but I don't think a new set of hardware will change all that. Like you said, that would probably just change the graphics. And yet, new paradigms have already been attempted within this generation (motion control, camera recognition) which, if not groundshaking, do present different ways to play games.
Definitely.

The WiiU might have something to offer with its tablet stuff, but I don't know if MS and Sony will really have anything innovative beyond the aforementioned graphics boosts. It seems like the most interesting games these days are indies. Maybe it's because those games are so cheap, but people really relish the opportunity to play an old-school platformer like Super Meat Boy. Journey and Fez are a couple of games that have made waves more recently with their innovative designs and playstyles.
Microsoft seems to want to pump Kinect up, but I've yet to see how that would actually make my gameplay experience better. I like laying on the couch under a blanket and pillow while I go nuts on a controller. The Wii pushes it by making me waggle. I don't have any desire to dance around the room to pull off combos in an action game. I care about gameplay innovation, not input innovation. The Wii U Pad seems to be accomplishing both.

Grecco

I think we're past the point where "more stuff on the screen" can provide a new experience. That's the only thing Dead Rising needed this generation for. I'm not trying to say that better systems offer no opportunities for new experiences. I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to be bored with the current generation when there are clearly so many new ideas to explore.

If you're like me, and you like to see innovation in games, the next generation might make that even more infrequent. Higher development costs increase risk, so developers will want to play it safer than ever.

It was just an example of a new experience only possible because of better hardware. Theres others too imo. With newer hardware comes better AI, larger worlds, "more suff on screen", it isnt just prettier graphics.

I look at what Ubisoft demod with Watch Dogs as something that might be a preview of what is possible. In the end its up to the publisher to decide if the risk is worth while. It already paid off for Ubisoft this gen, when they created Assassins Creed (Something that wasnt possible last gen imo).

Azure J

Based Nikkei already said it's on the way and one of the regular GAF insiders pretty much has me thanking God that I didn't bite on one, no matter how much I'm tempted to do barbaric things to my brother to get a play of Kid Icarus here and there.

1) Action games.
2) Platformers.
3) RPGs.

I kinda feel for you honestly. I think this fighter binge I've been on for the last few months really came at a good time, because after being a primarily Wii only gamer (cost reasons more than preference) I needed something to just plop down with as comfort food, especially in the twilight of the system. I still have a shit load to play, but having a backlog as big as mine is fun. It's like playing random pick and usually I appreciate the things I play after their initial hype period even more fun for some reason.

Devil May Cry and Bayonetta's fates just have me all kinds of sad though. *sigh*

Edit: In the interest of keeping things Mahvelous:

Yo damn, that TAC combo is similar to what I've been working on but way better.

That TAC is one of the biggest reasons why I'm trying so hard to innovate some new combos with the character. I swear, every day you see something new that's just "whaaaaaaaaaat" with Dante.

Meanwhile, anyone else get annoyed when bad habits you unlearned for the sake of playing optimally are what your opponent does to take wins from you? Nothing like playing a Dante mirror match and having it decided because you lost a priority war by not starting with s.L because "hurr it scales ur combos bad". :lol

Frantic

Meanwhile, anyone else get annoyed when bad habits you unlearned for the sake of playing optimally are what your opponent does to take wins from you? Nothing like playing a Dante mirror match and having it decided because you lost a priority war by not starting with s.L because "hurr it scales ur combos bad". :lol
My advice is to start using s.L more. :p It might scale the damage of his combos pretty badly, but it's still one of his best ground vs ground normal.

smurfx

get some go again
you know what pisses me off about morrigan? its not her zoning at all. its how fast her god damn dash is and how much priority that drill move has. her crouch is also frustrating as hell as she gets under everything. i remember being able to punish morrigan in vanilla with taskmasters standing M all the time but not in ultimate.

Dahbomb

I too am a HUGE action game fan, in fact it's my favorite genre in gaming. I have played pretty much every half decent action game out there dating all the way back to the SNES/Genesis days of Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Strider, Ninja Gaiden etc. DMC is my favorite game series because it's my favorite game in my favorite genre. I also like a ton of other action games like Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Godhand, Vanquish, V Joe, ZOE2, God of War and even like the numerous action adventure games like SotC, Zelda, Darksiders, Okami.

Action genre was doing pretty decent this generation but at the end of the generation it has sort of fell off the radar. Only exciting new product coming from the genre is MG Rising which I will be there for day 1 (and I am a huge MG fan too but a bigger action game fan). DmC is probably going to be a good, decent action game but it's not going to be on the same caliber of the main DMC games. NG3 was god awful and I am some what interested in GoW:A even if it's a bit more of the same.

I basically get all my action gaming fix from Marvel or Diablo 3 these days. I also just installed Arkham City to hype myself up for the Dark Knight Rises.

I don't see Rygar: The Legendary Adventure on your list >:-(

Nooooooooooooooooooooooow we must belieeeeeeeeeeve
The pain will faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade
and love's inviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiincible

you know what pisses me off about morrigan? its not her zoning at all. its how fast her god damn dash is and how much priority that drill move has. her crouch is also frustrating as hell as she gets under everything. i remember being able to punish morrigan in vanilla with taskmasters standing M all the time but not in ultimate.
That low hitbox should have been on Hsien-Ko instead of Morrigan. I'll give you that much.

Everything else about Morrigan is fair and pretty amazing as far I'm concerned. It'd be nice if her missiles could OTG though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom