• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since Karst asked why I'd want a new system and shaowebb wanted me to choose my characters more carefully:

MVC4 Fan Changelist

Engine changes:
  • Hitstun decay increased by 10%
  • Damage decreased by 25%
  • Timer reduced to 1 tick per 180 frames
  • Maximum screen height lowered slightly
X-Factor-
  • No more stat boosts, retains chip invulnerability and lengths
  • Can be used during hitstun as a burst, is used up instantly
  • Adds a character-specific ability like a 1-chance utility hyper
TACs-
  • No longer build or remove meter, can no longer be countered
  • post-TAC combos no longer build meter
  • ground and side tags have no possible follow-up if a ground- or wall- bounce was already used in the combo, respectively
  • no air follow-up possible for up tags, but causes hard knockdown
Air combat:
  • Flight mode movement speed increased 50% across the board
  • Flight mode no longer counts towards air special limits
  • Only 3 special moves during flight per jump
  • Flight mode is limited by total frames used per jump, not a single activation
  • Normal moves auto-correct during air dashes while in flight mode

Removed characters:

Marvel:
  • Taskmaster
  • She-Hulk
  • X-23
  • Iron Fist
  • Rocket Raccoon

Capcom:
  • Felicia
  • Chris Redfield
  • Firebrand
  • Chun Li
  • Trish

Remixed characters:
  • Zero -> Zero.exe
  • Nathan Spencer -> Rad Spencer
  • Chris Redfield -> Regina
  • DMC3 Dante -> DMC1 Dante
  • Firebrand -> Green Goblin
  • Rocket Raccoon -> Felyne

Added characters:

Marvel:
  • Anti-Venom
  • Amatsu-Mikaboshi
  • Cloak and Dagger(as one selection)
  • Green Goblin
  • Jubilee(vampire)
  • Juggernaut
  • Karolina Dean
  • Phylla Vell(Quasar)
  • Mephisto
  • Mr. Sinister
  • Squirrel Girl
  • Thanos
  • Ultron

Capcom:
  • Bilstein's Ghost
  • Captain Commando
  • Deis
  • Donovan
  • Felyne
  • Gene
  • Gill
  • Lieutenant Linn Kurosawa
  • Megaman X
  • Rathalos
  • Regina
  • Rouge
  • Seig Warheit

Total Characters: 66

I was gonna do character logs and changelists too but goddamn. 66 is a lot. Maybe later.

DMC3 Dante is better than DMC1 Dante.

Just accommodating the new combo limits. I could change it to DmC Dante for you, that'd work too.

remove taskmaster? your entire post is now invalid.

I'd rather remove Hawkeye, but the whole Avengers thing.

I only know about 4 of those characters on the Capcom side.

Bilstein's Ghost (Plasma Sword)
Captain Commando (...)
Deis (Breath of Fire)
Donovan (Vampire Savior)
Felyne (Monster Hunter)
Gene (God Hand)
Gill (Third Strike)
Lieutenant Linn Kurosawa (Aliens vs Predator, original character)
Megaman X (...)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter)
Regina (Dino Crisis)
Rouge (I hate fucking Power Stone)
Seig Warheit (Chaos Legion)

smurfx

get some go again
no breath of fire representation either god's beard? this list keeps getting worse and worse. taskmaster should stay and give him more moves from others he's stolen from like daredevil.

Azure J

God's Beard's stuff is good logically, but needs more soul. :p

Edit: Wait, Power Stone's Rouge was in that list? Previous point redacted.

BTW, isn't MVC3's Dante a amalgamation of all the Dantes with his DMC3 toolset really? I could swear this was mentioned somewhere before. Also, Zero - Megaman Zero plz.

Dahbomb

DMC1 Dante would be pretty cool, he has some nice tools and would be much easier to balance than DMC3 Dante. He can have a stance change where he can change from Ifrit to Alastor moveset like Amaterasu does.

BTW, isn't MVC3's Dante a amalgamation of all the Dante's with his DMC3 toolset really? I could swear this was mentioned somewhere before.
Nah it's straight up DMC3 Dante only. DMC4 and DMC1 Dante are quite different in toolset from DMC3 Dante. DMC3 Dante is definitely the craziest with the most expanded moveset from the series, it was a great pick. DMC4 Dante is pretty crazy too.

Well, since Karst asked why I'd want a new system and shaowebb wanted me to choose my characters more carefully:

MVC4 Fan Changelist

Engine changes:
X-Factor-
TACs-
  • ground and side tags have no possible follow-up if a ground- or wall- bounce was already used in the combo, respectively
Air combat:
Getting rid of my Firebrand? Sir...I suppose I would trade him for Rathalos and Mephisto. At the same time, I want to punch you in the balls for including Vampire Jubilee and Squirrel Girl, but no BoF Ryu/Nina (you have Deis, so this isn't too offensive) or Jedah.

Anyway, when you said a new engine, I thought you meant a new engine, and not just some tweaks to the current one.

I approve of the general engine changes except for the screen height change. I need that one explained to me.

I think X-Factor is perfect as it is.

Your TAC changes would just make this game a ton of TAC spam, which would get boring fast. I agree they shouldn't be counterable, but I don't think this is the right way to balance them around that change.

Flight mode is already excellent. Every flying character is a top tier escape artist because of it, and Magneto players fly around all the time, offensively and defensively. I don't understand the point of bullet points 2-4 for flight. Your last change is absolutely horrible for game balance and you know it.

haha i overlooked it. although deis? we'd be lucky to get any bof representation so if we do then hopefully they go with somebody like ryu or nina and not a side character like deis.
While I'm all about the Nina, Deis is in 4/5 of the games in the series, and a major character if you follow the series continuity.

Just accommodating the new combo limits. I could change it to DmC Dante for you, that'd work too.

dawson-crying1.gif

Also DMC4 Dante would be broken.

smurfx

get some go again
While I'm all about the Nina, Deis is in 4/5 of the games in the series, and a major character if you follow the series continuity.
yeah she is important but nina and ryu are the main characters. i would love to have lots of BOF characters but you know that ain't happening.

I chose Deis over the others for silhouette and playstyle diversity reasons.

Getting rid of my Firebrand? Sir...I suppose I would trade him for Rathalos and Mephisto. At the same time, I want to punch you in the balls for including Vampire Jubilee and Squirrel Girl, but no BoF Ryu/Nina (you have Deis, so this isn't too offensive) or Jedah.
Let's be honest. Jedah is my favorite VS character, but he doesn't have the most diverse toolset.

And Firebrand is still there. He's just called Green Goblin now.

I approve of the general engine changes except for the screen height change. I need that one explained to me.

It's because of the flight mode changes. Multiple flight mode activations would let you just fly up into the corner and run away for extended periods of time. Super jump height doesn't change.

I think X-Factor is perfect as it is.
I just feel like X-factor is the defining gimmick of MVC3 and you need a new gimmick to make it a sequel. I doubt Focus Attacks will be in SF5.

Your TAC changes would just make this game a ton of TAC spam, which would get boring fast. I agree they shouldn't be counterable, but I don't think this is the right way to balance them around that change.

This is something I'm not solid on. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make them primarily about changing characters and not combos. Maybe add massive hitstun decay to TACs?

Flight mode is already excellent. Every flying character is a top tier escape artist because of it, and Magneto players fly around all the time, offensively and defensively. I don't understand the point of bullet points 2-4 for flight. Your last change is absolutely horrible for game balance and you know it.

The thing is, I want to rebalance the whole game around movement, which I think is a defining characteristic of MvC, and I forgot to add my section on assist changes which is pretty massive because it involves individual characters. Basically, I want to lower the screen height, improve movement then bring back anti-air assists. I was debating certain ways to have air-unblockable attacks, but decided against it.

As for the last one, I really miss MVC1.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Engine changes:

TACs-

[/LIST]

Agree with TAC stuff. Don't agree with hitstun. I liked how it was in Vanilla specifically with assists.

Remixed characters:
  • Zero -> Zero.exe
Zero.exe was in 1 game and just cameo'd elswhere and I don't think a lot of people know he exists.

Dreadlocks Spencer was pretty clearly included to make you buy original Spencer. I'm not sure if he would be relevant by the time MVC4 comes out.

I wouldn't mess with any characters despite my massive dislike of some.

Characters I would add:

MM(classic or EXE)
Roll/Bass.exe depending on which MM(either EXE or classic, MMX has Zero)
Rathalos(MH deserves a rep)
BoF2 Nina
Jedah
Regina(with dino summons)

Gambit/Cyke(pick one)
Rogue
Ultron
Scarlet Witch
Carnage/Green Goblin(IDK which)
Phylla Vell

Zero.exe was in 1 game and just cameo'd elswhere and I don't think a lot of people know he exists.

I wanted Megaman.exe, but you know how well that'd go over compared to X. I didn't want two X characters and no .exe characters, and Zero.exe wouldn't require building a whole new playstyle. This way 3 big Megaman series have reps.

I chose Deis over the others for silhouette and playstyle diversity reasons.
Deis pretty much has Nina's spell list in most games, and she's less diverse since she can't fly. Not sure what the logic here is.

Let's be honest. Jedah is my favorite VS character, but he doesn't have the most diverse toolset.
Marvel him up then!

And Firebrand is still there. He's just called Green Goblin now.
He'd need a new moveset. Green Goblin would throw out bombs while playing an aerial game, using his projectiles to pin you for mix-ups. A move like Bon Voyage would be really awkward on him. IMO, it's always a bad move to "gift" a moveset to a new character. It's just an insult to the newcomer.

It's because of the flight mode changes. Multiple flight mode activations would let you just fly up into the corner and run away for extended periods of time. Super jump height doesn't change.
If it's limited by total frames though, would it really matter? Or by total frames, do you mean that you could potentially fly -> do stuff -> unfly, and repeat that forever without ever touching the ground? Because I think that would be pretty OP for some characters.

I just feel like X-factor is the defining gimmick of MVC3 and you need a new gimmick to make it a sequel. I doubt Focus Attacks will be in SF5.
Add in parrying IMO. This game is just begging for it. If you really want to evolve the game, create a way to swap assist types mid-match. So, for example, I use Cold Stars when rushing down for mix-ups, and then when I want to play keepaway I swap to Bloom for more meter.

This is something I'm not solid on. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make them primarily about changing characters and not combos. Maybe add massive hitstun decay to TACs?
I'm of two minds on this. On one hand, the lack of hitstun decay on TACs really makes for some serious swag that I think we can all agree is a joy to behold. On the other, it shits all over characters without flight. One possibility is to make TACs cost 1 bar, make them uncounterable, remove the meter gain/drain mechanic, and the follow-up combo gains no meter. I haven't thought that through all the way, but maybe it'd work.

The thing is, I want to rebalance the whole game around movement, which I think is a defining characteristic of MvC, and I forgot to add my section on assist changes which is pretty massive because it involves individual characters. Basically, I want to lower the screen height, improve movement then bring back anti-air assists. I was debating certain ways to have air-unblockable attacks, but decided against it.

As for the last one, I really miss MVC1.
Are you intentionally neglecting non-aerial characters, like Hulk, then? I agree that movement options is a defining Marvel feature. I think you once said "I play Marvel instead of Street Fighter because I want to jump sometimes", and I agree entirely.

I wouldn't mess with any characters despite my massive dislike of some.

Characters I would add:

MM(classic or EXE)
Roll/Bass.exe depending on which MM(either EXE or classic, MMX has Zero)
Rathalos(MH deserves a rep)
BoF2 Nina
Jedah
Regina(with dino summons)

Gambit/Cyke(pick one)
Rogue
Ultron
Scarlet Witch
Carnage/Green Goblin(IDK which)
Phylla Vell
Love the Capcom side of this list, pretty much my ideal except for Regina, who I have no strong feelings toward. I'm surprised you have 90s X-Men stuff going on in there, since you're normally pretty negative toward characters like Gambit, and I know you hate Carnage. I'd love to see Mephisto, Blackheart, or Iceman added, but I think it's a pretty solid list. I'd buy it!
Though I'd buy any expansion, hahahahaha.

I'd only accept Deis if Ershin showed up in some form.

Solune

I wanted Megaman.exe, but you know how well that'd go over compared to X. I didn't want two X characters and no .exe characters, and Zero.exe wouldn't require building a whole new playstyle. This way 3 big Megaman series have reps.

Ewwww but Zero.exe is the worst design, it's even worse than Kid Zero somehow. Actually why does Zero always have a controversial design anyways?

Just go with the original, Protoman.

shaowebb

Add in parrying IMO. This game is just begging for it. If you really want to evolve the game, create a way to swap assist types mid-match. So, for example, I use Cold Stars when rushing down for mix-ups, and then when I want to play keepaway I swap to Bloom for more meter.

If the new gimmick was swap assists mid match it should come at a cost of a little bit of meter IMO. If Dante suddenly went from Crystal to Jam Session it'd be a big deal in the match. I like the idea of parries and assist swapping though. I've always been curious about some sort of mechanic that could give a move armor after it was activated. One shot and its gone, but that could be a game changer for about anyone. I've never even bothered to consider the ins and outs of this, but I can easily see hype moments and people coming up with strategies where they unexpectedly burn their armor move to punish something. Still up to them to convert it and it shouldn't work on hypers, but still it could be fun.
Love the Capcom side of this list, pretty much my ideal except for Regina, who I have no strong feelings toward. I'm surprised you have 90s X-Men stuff going on in there, since you're normally pretty negative toward characters like Gambit, and I know you hate Carnage. I'd love to see Mephisto, Blackheart, or Iceman added, but I think it's a pretty solid list. I'd buy it!
Though I'd buy any expansion, hahahahaha.

Yeah I feel the same on that Capcom list. Gene, X, Rouge, and a little bit of Chaos Legion love? HELL YES. Those 4 alone would add an entire new level of moveset variety to this game. You think Frank has tricks? Wait till someone from power stone starts popping items like Cody, and using the equivalent of Devil trigger.

Diggin' the Marvel side too, but I still think Blade should be in it. Black man, sword,guns, trenchcoat...yup thats pretty much Marvel fanbase.
Regular ass Mega Man from regular ass Mega Man

I always wanted Dr. Wily over Mega Man so he can be a Doronjo summon character. Imagine all the nostalgia he'd bring about with a move list that had cameos by different robot masters for every other attack. He could have a lunch rush like hyper called "Boss Rush" led by Splashwoman leading the charge riding on the back of Centaur man while pointing her trident at the enemy. Quickly its followed by a steady stream of running masterbots that all collide with you.

Something for everyone if you use Wily and set him up this way IMO. God he'd be a pain in the ass for moves though with all those models. Labor of love man.

Deis pretty much has Nina's spell list in most games, and she's less diverse since she can't fly. Not sure what the logic here is.
Diverse compared to the rest of the Marvel 4 cast and she's half snake so she breaks up the silhouette. It's either her or the squid from Red Earth, and people want BoF Reps more.

He'd need a new moveset. Green Goblin would throw out bombs while playing an aerial game, using his projectiles to pin you for mix-ups. A move like Bon Voyage would be really awkward on him. IMO, it's always a bad move to "gift" a moveset to a new character. It's just an insult to the newcomer.
Well, he'd be Firebrand remixed. Same general idea, but new moves. I'm just replacing the archetype.

If it's limited by total frames though, would it really matter? Or by total frames, do you mean that you could potentially fly -> do stuff -> unfly, and repeat that forever without ever touching the ground? Because I think that would be pretty OP for some characters.

I don't want them to Fly, dash up, unfly, fly, dash up, etc for ten seconds and time out games. abusing the 15 frames or whatever of flight startup.

You'll see what I mean. My next post will be the general Assist stuff I want.

Are you intentionally neglecting non-aerial characters, like Hulk, then? I agree that movement options is a defining Marvel feature. I think you once said "I play Marvel instead of Street Fighter because I want to jump sometimes", and I agree entirely.

No, I'd give Hulk passive super armor.

shaowebb

I kind of wonder what Marvel's digital rights contract is like given we got Activision making Amazing Spiderman, Ubisoft making Avengers, and Gazillion making the f2p MMO.

Maybe they got a non-exclusivity of character likeness rider in their digital contracts that they send to game devs who get their business? It used to be easier to predict who had the rights to their stuff...not these days.

I think Carnage is interesting and Wells in the Carnage minis has been defining him as a hyped up Joker.

I dislike both Gambit and Cyke but know they are liked. Also I LOVE the X-Men. I just hate the "diehard" fans who complain that there "fav" isn't in the game when they have never picked up a comic.

I read more X-Men than anything else. I go Spidey then X-Men in my love of Marvel. She Hulk, Cosmic, Scarlet Witch etc go next.

shaowebb

It'd be fun if someone did a random Marvel vs Capcom 3 thing like a cheesey reality show where a tourney happens and then people get to vote 3 characters in the game off the show then next week no one could use those guys. Series goes on until only 3 cast are left and folks have to run a tourney to see who held out the longest as the most solid players with the most wins.

Longest tourney ever. But hey with a bunch of local players, a web cam, and enough dudes it could make for a fun youtube channel to vote on each week.

Assist system changes(aka the other reason I removed DMC3 Dante):

α/β/γ system replaced with A/M/P choices.

Automatic -
  • A static general-use special move from the character.
  • Allows quick selection for new players just trying to have fun.

Manual-
  • A custom assist function, the main choice for most players.
  • Accepts one command input, can be option selected(ie, Dark Spell becomes Liberation).
  • Will not allow supers, charge or aerial moves or normal throws.
  • Pre-Startup is 25 frames. Recovery time is calculated based on move strength. Normals are plus on block, heavy specials very negative, etc.
  • any move that is invincible on the first startup frame is invincible on all pre-startup frames
  • All assist-only moves are relegated to automatic or passive assists(Shopping Cart and Dark Harmonizer, respectively).
  • character position varies by character rather than move

Passive-
  • A Cheerleader-esque passive advantage based on the character called(Mighty Speech assist).
  • Active until the assist button is pressed again. No passive assists have invincibility.
  • Can vary from time-based(available every so many frames) or passive damage/speed boosts to item drops ala SonSon to temporary walls(persistent Repulsar Blast or tracking Purifications, anyone?).
  • Cannot be on screen with another assist.
  • Cannot be called during combos, but can be canceled.
  • Passive assists have variable startup and recovery time, generally 30-60 frames.
  • Unlike other assists, passive assists may position themselves in the air based on the character.

shaowebb

Assist system changes(aka the other reason I removed DMC3 Dante):

α/β/γ system replaced with A/M/P choices.

Automatic -
  • A static general-use special move from the character.
  • Allows quick selection for new players just trying to have fun.

Manual-
  • A custom assist function, the main choice for most players.
  • Accepts one command input, can be option selected(ie, Dark Spell becomes Liberation).
    [*]Will not allow supers, charge or aerial moves or normal throws.
  • Pre-Startup is 25 frames. Recovery time is calculated based on move strength. Normals are plus on block, heavy specials very negative, etc.
  • any move that is invincible on the first startup frame is invincible on all pre-startup frames
  • All assist-only moves are relegated to automatic or passive assists(Shopping Cart and Dark Harmonizer, respectively).
  • character position varies by character rather than move

Passive-
  • A Cheerleader-esque passive advantage based on the character called(Mighty Speech assist).
  • Active until the assist button is pressed again. No passive assists have invincibility.
  • Can vary from time-based(available every so many frames) or passive damage/speed boosts to item drops ala SonSon to temporary walls(persistent Repulsar Blast or tracking Purifications, anyone?).
  • Cannot be on screen with another assist.
  • Cannot be called during combos, but can be canceled.
  • Passive assists have variable startup and recovery time, generally 30-60 frames.
  • Unlike other assists, passive assists may position themselves in the air based on the character.

Wait...so can I input a command grab in there? If so its a free reset to pop on in a combo. Some are unscaled damage too...

I'm still playing UMvC3 on Vita and oh. my. word - the amount of dirty ragequitters is unbelievable. You can rage quit without penalty.

Capcom really need to fix this.

What's the best way for me to complain about this to Capcom, anyone know?

rocK`

Banned

MVC4 Fan Changelist

Engine changes:
X-Factor-
TACs-
Air combat:

Removed characters:

Marvel:
  • Taskmaster
  • She-Hulk
  • X-23
  • Iron Fist
  • Rocket Raccoon

Capcom:
  • Felicia
  • Chris Redfield
  • Firebrand
  • Chun Li
  • Trish

Remixed characters:
  • Zero -> Zero.exe

Added characters:

Marvel:
  • Anti-Venom
  • Amatsu-Mikaboshi
  • Cloak and Dagger(as one selection)
  • Green Goblin
  • Jubilee(vampire)
  • Juggernaut
  • Karolina Dean
  • Phylla Vell(Quasar)
  • Mephisto
  • Mr. Sinister
  • Squirrel Girl
  • Thanos
  • Ultron

Capcom:
  • Bilstein's Ghost
  • Captain Commando
  • Deis
  • Donovan
  • Felyne
  • Gene
  • Gill
  • Lieutenant Linn Kurosawa
  • Megaman X
  • Rathalos
  • Regina
  • Rouge
  • Seig Warheit

Total Characters: 66

I was gonna do character logs and changelists too but goddamn. 66 is a lot. Maybe later.

Oh good. I would not play this game.

Thats literally one of the worst character lists i have ever seen. Vampire Jubilee?

*shrug* Just trying to create variety. I've no love for more or less any Marvel character, to be honest. Pretty much Mr. Sinister and Phylla Vell are the only ones I put in because I like them. Although I think Cloak and Dagger would be interesting gameplay-wise if they had to manage each other. Most of the rest of the Marvel characters are literally from me looking up strongest character lists and picking the ones with interesting powers that don't all come from the same series. The remaining are just ones that were mentioned around here before, so don't look at me. Mephisto, Jubilee, Anti-Venom, Squirrel Girl.

Now, half the Capcom side is just me being a fanboy(DMC1 is my favorite and I love Battle Network, etc). Except Rouge, she's only in there because Power Stone fans can't shut up about their shitty game. And because I wanted to balance the lack of female characters in UMVC3.

JeTmAn81

Every time I see a character wishlist for Marvel that contains more than 8 or so names, it just reinforces my belief that we probably have enough characters. Almost everybody that's really popular and interesting is already in the game, and I'm content to explore what's there. For an eventual MvC4, I would think they should put about half series/property mainstays and then get quirky with the other half, just like they did for MvC3.

Grecco

Every time I see a character wishlist for Marvel that contains more than 8 or so names, it just reinforces my belief that we probably have enough characters. Almost everybody that's really popular and interesting is already in the game, and I'm content to explore what's there. For an eventual MvC4, I would think they should put about half series/property mainstays and then get quirky with the other half, just like they did for MvC3.

Eh i think there is still more characters you could go with, some of them just because of popularity (Gambit, Cyclops, MegaMan, Venom, Captain Comando) and others because of interesting gameplay ( Songbird pls regards grecco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom