• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Every time I see a big character list, I realize Capcom has to start making some new franchises with memorable characters. I'd love to see some BoF characters in Marvel, but I'm sure Capcom would want more characters that, when included in a MvC game, advertises the game they are from. We already have 4 RE, 4 SF and 3 DMC characters in the game. Lets get some fresh blood in there.

Dahbomb

We need an updated MarvelGAF cycle

iIEbDmlsPynCX.png

This one's not cutting it.
*SOU- SOU- SOU- SOUL FIST! MorriDoom is broken!

*Zero/Vergil are so TOP TIER

*FFFUUUDDDAAAAIIII

*OMGitzDroppedCombos

*Phoenix is still good guys

*UMVC3X/patch rumor

Azure J

Assist system changes(aka the other reason I removed DMC3 Dante):

α/β/γ system replaced with A/M/P choices.

*Stuff*

I love this.

By the way, I'm fighting the urge to do a MVC4 roster myself. Only reason I haven't yet is because the Marvel side (females aside) is almost flawless (that and I'm not really the most in-depth with Marvel comics to make good picks) and all my focus is on the Capcom heads that should show up for series reps and interesting playstyle things.

smurfx

get some go again
Needs 900, 950k HP to really compete for a tournament winning team.
buff him to 900k health but in exchange give haggar super armor on pipe and hoodlum launcher. this way we both win. :p imagine how crazy haggar would be with just armor on hoodlum launcher. even i wouldn't want to fight that.

Bizazedo

buff him to 900k health but in exchange give haggar super armor on pipe and hoodlum launcher. this way we both win. :p imagine how crazy haggar would be with just armor on hoodlum launcher. even i wouldn't want to fight that.

Yeah, but it wouldn't matter, you never attack, so it'd be a non-issue.

(lol, couldn't resist, sorry).

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah, but it wouldn't matter, you never attack, so it'd be a non-issue.

(lol, couldn't resist, sorry).
hey i attack with haggar! zero is a pretty terrible match up for haggar though. don't have that much experience fighting nova with him though so i don't know if its a good or bad match up.

JeTmAn81

hey i attack with haggar! zero is a pretty terrible match up for haggar though. don't have that much experience fighting nova with him though so i don't know if its a good or bad match up.

I would think Haggar would do pretty well against Nova. He doesn't have amazing limbs, and his zoning ability is not great. Of course, a typical Nova will be running 1st or 2nd so will have a projectile assist to back him up probably.

mr. puppy

Banned
wow i'm impressed how much morrigan/ammy/phoenix forces the other person to use resources. you need to keep x-factor to do the tag tricks to kill dark phoenix, and morrigan/ammy comboes can really steal a stupid amount of meter and just almost battery if you need it. and if you fuck anything up, you have 3 really good anchors and no particular order on that team is really bad.

smurfx

get some go again
wow i'm impressed how much morrigan/ammy/phoenix forces the other person to use resources. you need to keep x-factor to do the tag tricks to kill dark phoenix, and morrigan/ammy comboes can really steal a stupid amount of meter and just almost battery if you need it. and if you fuck anything up, you have 3 really good anchors and no particular order on that team is really bad.
doom can do the TAC trick without using x-factor.

If Smurf and Biz get bullshit buffs, I want a Spider-Sense buff for Peter so he automatically evades every projectile.

FAIR IS FAIR
Using Dormammu's Liberation no longer consumes charges. About as fair as giving Zero 950K health IMO.

RETURN TO DUST!
RETURN TO DUST!
RETURN TO DUST!

And Shuma should get... man I don't even know.
A Dormammu-style teleport that he can cancel into Mystic Smash.

And since I posted, I need to comment on this:
Assist system changes(aka the other reason I removed DMC3 Dante):

α/β/γ system replaced with A/M/P choices.

Automatic -
  • A static general-use special move from the character.
  • Allows quick selection for new players just trying to have fun.

Manual-
  • A custom assist function, the main choice for most players.
  • Accepts one command input, can be option selected(ie, Dark Spell becomes Liberation).
  • Will not allow supers, charge or aerial moves or normal throws.
  • Pre-Startup is 25 frames. Recovery time is calculated based on move strength. Normals are plus on block, heavy specials very negative, etc.
  • any move that is invincible on the first startup frame is invincible on all pre-startup frames
  • All assist-only moves are relegated to automatic or passive assists(Shopping Cart and Dark Harmonizer, respectively).
  • character position varies by character rather than move

Passive-
  • A Cheerleader-esque passive advantage based on the character called(Mighty Speech assist).
  • Active until the assist button is pressed again. No passive assists have invincibility.
  • Can vary from time-based(available every so many frames) or passive damage/speed boosts to item drops ala SonSon to temporary walls(persistent Repulsar Blast or tracking Purifications, anyone?).
  • Cannot be on screen with another assist.
  • Cannot be called during combos, but can be canceled.
  • Passive assists have variable startup and recovery time, generally 30-60 frames.
  • Unlike other assists, passive assists may position themselves in the air based on the character.
-Why not allow hypers to be an assist? Assuming they still use meter.
-NO INVINCIBLE ASSISTS. One of the best changes to Ultimate was their removal. No.
-[*]character position varies by character rather than move - this seems pointless.
-[*]Cannot be called during combos, but can be canceled. - why not?

Otherwise, I like it all. I know you put tracking Purification in there just to sell me on the idea, and it worked.

Azure J

Trying to further hammer some things out with my game plan and my teams and I swear I'm such a whore in this game. Can't go two minutes without thinking X team was cooler/had cooler things going for it and double backing towards it, knowing that I should stick to my shit and innovate with it. :lol

A Dormammu-style teleport that he can cancel into Mystic Smash.

Honestly, I just want him to be Tron-size. That'd be cool.

-Why not allow hypers to be an assist? Assuming they still use meter.

Because I'm not sure how input priority would work and whether you could option select hypers and really good specials into one assist. And because Fuck Ammy's Elements hyper as an assist.

-NO INVINCIBLE ASSISTS. One of the best changes to Ultimate was their removal. No.
:3

Even if they had massive recovery?

-[*]character position varies by character rather than move - this seems pointless.

There's no point, it's just a clarification because assists aren't constructed anymore. You know how Doom comes out behind you with the beam and in front of you with rocks? Too many moves to change that for every possible assist.

-[*]Cannot be called during combos, but can be canceled. - why not?
I want passive assists to be something you get rewarded for protecting, not yay I magically get a 10% damage boost on my combos. That and I worry about corner carry combos and persistent attacks like my repulsar blast example. So if you set up the passive assist THEN land the combo, you deserve the boosts. I let you cancel it so you can use the other assist in the combo as normal.

Otherwise, I like it all. I know you put tracking Purification in there just to sell me on the idea, and it worked.
:D

Honestly, I just want him to be Tron-size. That'd be cool.
I honestly hoped that he'd be Sentinel sized, and would have all kinds of crazy full-screen command grabs and stuff.

Because I'm not sure how input priority would work and whether you could option select hypers and really good specials into one assist. And because Fuck Ammy's Elements hyper as an assist.
That's not too big if a deal, just have a line of code that checks for meter if that kind of assist is selected. Amaterasu's hyper wouldn't even be the most vicious. Storm would become instant top tier. Still, it's a bar of meter, and I think that balances out not having an assist the rest of the time.

:3

Even if they had massive recovery?
No sir! They disproportionately favor small, fast characters. Vanilla was a bitch for Dormammu just because he has no answer to Double Lariat. Same goes for characters like Hulk and Sentinel. It's just too strong.

There's no point, it's just a clarification because assists aren't constructed anymore. You know how Doom comes out behind you with the beam and in front of you with rocks? Too many moves to change that for every possible assist.
I don't think it'd take that long to create a number value for each one, but I see your point at least.

I want passive assists to be something you get rewarded for protecting, not yay I magically get a 10% damage boost on my combos. That and I worry about corner carry combos and persistent attacks like my repulsar blast example. So if you set up the passive assist THEN land the combo, you deserve the boosts. I let you cancel it so you can use the other assist in the combo as normal.
Even if they can be called pre-combo, couldn't you have abuse like Sentinel Force spam + some hard knockdown move? Hmm, this is starting to sound problematic...

=D

GTFO.

you can remove Ultimate She-hulk and give us Vanilla She-Hulk, but otherwise: GTFO

Nova?

It's only fair since you never shut up about Jojo, another shitty game. :3

Let's see which one warrants a rerelease first :)

Even if they can be called pre-combo, couldn't you have abuse like Sentinel Force spam + some hard knockdown move? Hmm, this is starting to sound problematic...

Passive assists would be balanced and chosen carefully, there aren't options like manual assists. Would there be situations where it seems insane? Yeah, but they're meant to be stronger than normal assists at a higher risk. And I'm not exactly sure what your example means.

No sir! They disproportionately favor small, fast characters. Vanilla was a bitch for Dormammu just because he has no answer to Double Lariat. Same goes for characters like Hulk and Sentinel. It's just too strong.
Even if I made balance changes around it? Like giving Hulk and Sentinel back passive super armor?

I honestly hoped that he'd be Sentinel sized, and would have all kinds of crazy full-screen command grabs and stuff.
If only ;_;

Passive assists would be balanced and chosen carefully, there aren't options like manual assists. Would there be situations where it seems insane? Yeah, but they're meant to be stronger than normal assists at a higher risk. And I'm not exactly sure what your example means.
Ah. Concern resolved. I just meant that if you had Sentinel on screen streaming Sentinel Force, you'd get some pretty insane results.

cednym

Banned
I've been thinking -- Niitsuma's next project might be announced sometime in the next couple of weeks.

- It's been over six months since the completion of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- Capcom Summer Jam is June 30 to July 1.
- Niitsuma said he might be appearing at Evo this year, which runs from July 6 to July 8.

A summer reveal would put the game on track for a Spring 2013 release. There's the possibility that Niitsuma is handling Darkstalkers, but given Ono's obsession with the series and the "Darkstalkers Are Not Dead" t-shirt in the SFXTK trailer, Dimps is more than likely working on that.

I don't think we'll be seeing another Marvel vs. Capcom for a while. If I had to put money on it, Niitsuma's next project is possibly a Capcom Fighting All-Stars type of game using the Marvel engine; 2-on-2 fighting with about 40 Capcom characters.

Removed characters:

[*]Rocket Raccoon
tumblr_m59kqcrl6F1qhhv13o1_400.png

...No.

Remixed characters:
  • Zero -> Zero.exe
HELL NO

If we get EXE representation it needs to be Bass.EXE. No Protoman because there's Zero already, and no Mega Man because I think another Rock would fit Marvel better. If you don't want to have two X representatives just make him his Zero version.

Other than some problems with character selection, I don't think you're ideas are too bad though.

If I had to choose the Megaman representatives for each series, it'd be like this (note, I'm not saying all of them should be in at the same time):
OG: Roll or Protoman
X: Zero with MMZ alt
Legends: Tron
BN: Bass.EXE
ZX: Ashe because Vent/Aile would just be Zero again :|
SF: Subaru/Geo and War-Rock/Mega (his power comes from bonds with other people, Marvel is a team game, how is he not fitting for the game? Make the Brother Band a mechanic for him.)

And Wily should be a boss character if only so that after you beat his first phase, he starts apologizing, but then suddenly...
tumblr_m59m9tSpaa1qhhv13o1_100.png

tumblr_m59kqcrl6F1qhhv13o1_400.png

...No.

HELL NO

If we get EXE representation it needs to be Bass.EXE. No Protoman because there's Zero already, and no Mega Man because I think another Rock would fit Marvel better. If you don't want to have two X representatives just make him his Zero version.

Other than some problems with character selection, I don't think you're ideas are too bad though.

If I had to choose the Megaman representatives for each series, it'd be like this (note, I'm not saying all of them should be in at the same time):
OG: Roll or Protoman
X: Zero with MMZ alt
Legends: Tron
BN: Bass.EXE
ZX: Ashe because Vent/Aile would just be Zero again :|
SF: Subaru/Geo and War-Rock/Mega (his power comes from bonds with other people, Marvel is a team game, how is he not fitting for the game? Make the Brother Band a mechanic for him.)

And Wily should be a boss character if only so that after you beat his first phase, he starts apologizing, but then suddenly...
tumblr_m59m9tSpaa1qhhv13o1_100.png

If it were up to me, I'd just make Mega Man vs Capcom and have all the Robot Masters. Best soundtrack of any Capcom game confirmed.

That WOULD be glorious. Yes. The VS Capcom part wouldn't even be needed other than for those extra sale from fans of other franchises, the series has so many characters it could have a Marvel sized roster without much trouble.

I've been thinking -- Niitsuma's next project might be announced sometime in the next couple of weeks.

- It's been over six months since the completion of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- Capcom Summer Jam is June 30 to July 1.
- Niitsuma said he might be appearing at Evo this year, which runs from July 6 to July 8.

A summer reveal would put the game on track for a Spring 2013 release. There's the possibility that Niitsuma is handling Darkstalkers, but given Ono's obsession with the series and the "Darkstalkers Are Not Dead" t-shirt in the SFXTK trailer, Dimps is more than likely working on that.

I don't think we'll be seeing another Marvel vs. Capcom for a while. If I had to put money on it, Niitsuma's next project is possibly a Capcom Fighting All-Stars type of game using the Marvel engine; 2-on-2 fighting with about 40 Capcom characters.

An interesting quote from SRK:

"and there will be no alternate costume for Magneto in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 because that team has now been spread to other Capcom projects."

So either Niitsuma's team got remixed for the demands of a new game, or it shuffled back into other teams. I wonder if Niitsuma and Ono are working together?

Grecco

Instead of making a Capcom All Stars id rather they just try to get another company involved

Capcom vs Sega? Capcom vs Konami? Something like that.

cednym

Banned
I just finished watching the latest Ask Capcom, and Niitsuma recently met with Marvel Games' Chris Baker and TQ Jefferson in Los Angeles. Hmm...

Grecco

They're already working on something with Sega. Capcom should do something with Nintendo, though.

The Sega thing is that RPG with like Namco/Capcom/Sega characters right? Id love an actual fighting game. Sonic vs Megaman would be fun. Or Konami, Alucard? Snake? Theres tons of possiblities for a VS fighter

I just finished watching the latest Ask Capcom, and Niitsuma recently met with Marvel Games' Chris Baker and TQ Jefferson in Los Angeles. Hmm...
How did it get brought up?

The Sega thing is that RPG with like Namco/Capcom/Sega characters right? Id love an actual fighting game. Sonic vs Megaman would be fun. Or Konami, Alucard? Snake? Theres tons of possiblities for a VS fighter
How many would actually be fun, though? I can't imagine wanting to play a Sonic fighting game. I'd rather Capcom focus on Marvel and Darkstalkers for now.

What a coincidence. We're already talking about our character lists. Maybe they read gaf?
Maybe we need to unite through compromise to create a master character list. Then, since GAF is the representative of all intelligent videogame discourse, we are taken to be representatives of what everyone wants. It's full-proof!

I just want BoF2 Nina. I'm pretty flexible beyond that, I'll even allow Black Panther to be in.

DR2K

Banned
Really no consequence for doing it. If it's successful you get your character out safe and some other perk. If it's broken you lose a tiny bit of health and that's it.

Other than giving up on raw damage that could kill a character. Which is why high level players rarely use it.

Other than giving up on raw damage that could kill a character. Which is why high level players rarely use it.
Rarely? Phoenix teams do nothing but TAC, and Marlinpie seems to finish combos with TACs more than anything else. Some characters lose out on almost nothing if they attempt a TAC, like Morrigan. After a Finishing Shower in the corner, why not TAC instead of just j.S for something like 10K damage?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

So? After they break it you pretty much return to a neutral position with your opponent.

You have to work to get a hit again but so does your opponent.

And when the TAC occurs you've done some amount of damage to your opponent already. Maybe 300k or so. If the TAC is broken you lose like 50k maybe? No serious disadvantage to it imo.

cednym

Banned
How did it get brought up?
Q: Any Marvel news of any kind?

Seth: I've been talking with some of the Marvel guys here, Chris Baker and TQ who run the games division of Marvel who approve, or in some cases disapprove, everything we send over. And Niitsuma-san was here in town and went down to Los Angeles to talk to those guys and catch up and see how everyone's doing.

Q: Any Marvel news of any kind?

Seth: I've been talking with some of the Marvel guys here, Chris Baker and TQ who run the games division of Marvel who approve, or in some cases disapprove, everything we send over. And Niitsuma-san was here in town and went down to Los Angeles to talk to those guys and catch up and see how everyone's doing.
I want to cuss you out for making me feel hope right now. Damn you. Do you have a link and timestamp for that so I can inspire false hope in others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom