• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cednym

Banned
I don't feel like listening through again, but I believe it was somewhere between the 8-10 minute mark (maybe a bit over).

I just found these tweets from two weeks ago where Niitsuma talks about arriving in San Francisco and LA:

https://twitter.com/Ryota_Niitsuma/status/205097333199867905
https://twitter.com/Ryota_Niitsuma/status/205851483852374016

Seth made it sound like they're completely done with MvC3 (obviously), but they might have moved onto MvC4 or Marvel Super Heroes 2 or something.

Azure J

tumblr_m59kqcrl6F1qhhv13o1_400.png

...No.

HELL NO

If we get EXE representation it needs to be Bass.EXE. No Protoman because there's Zero already, and no Mega Man because I think another Rock would fit Marvel better. If you don't want to have two X representatives just make him his Zero version.

Other than some problems with character selection, I don't think you're ideas are too bad though.

If I had to choose the Megaman representatives for each series, it'd be like this (note, I'm not saying all of them should be in at the same time):
OG: Roll or Protoman
X: Zero with MMZ alt
Legends: Tron
BN: Bass.EXE
ZX: Ashe because Vent/Aile would just be Zero again :|
SF: Subaru/Geo and War-Rock/Mega (his power comes from bonds with other people, Marvel is a team game, how is he not fitting for the game? Make the Brother Band a mechanic for him.)

And Wily should be a boss character if only so that after you beat his first phase, he starts apologizing, but then suddenly...
tumblr_m59m9tSpaa1qhhv13o1_100.png

Totally late but here's how you solve the Megaman character dilemma:

OG: Wily or Roll
X: Megaman X
Zero: Zero in MMZ form
Legends/Misadventures of Tron: Tron (derp)
EXE: Bass.EXE

Tron is grandfather clause'd into a Marvel roster. Pick X for an actual Megaman and then depending on what the roster looks like/Capcom's willingness to splurge on them, add Zero (most popular character in the franchise for some reason... :p) and one or the other between the two villains (Wily as a quirky Doronjo like or Bass as a AoE space control monster).

Actually, has anyone ever done a Bass.EXE moveset before? He's like the only thing from the EXE series with equal amounts of otential as X in making a diverse moveset, even if my ideas make him something of a Dormammu lite.

Dahbomb

Q: Any Marvel news of any kind?

Seth: I've been talking with some of the Marvel guys here, Chris Baker and TQ who run the games division of Marvel who approve, or in some cases disapprove, everything we send over. And Niitsuma-san was here in town and went down to Los Angeles to talk to those guys and catch up and see how everyone's doing.
596680-gif_bane_1_and_here_we_go.gif

Anth0ny

I don't feel like listening through again, but I believe it was somewhere between the 8-10 minute mark (maybe a bit over).

I just found these tweets from two weeks ago where Niitsuma talks about arriving in San Francisco and LA:

Seth made it sound like they're completely done with MvC3 (obviously), but they might have moved onto MvC4 or Marvel Super Heroes 2 or something.

A Capcom made Mahvel fighting game to tie in with Avengers hype?

I approve.

cednym

Banned

I approve.
There's probably more money to be made in that than another MvC. I would imagine that the "vs. Capcom" in the title might scare off some of the casual audience. Marvel's a much bigger name these days.

Anth0ny

There's probably more money to be made in that than another MvC. I would imagine that the "vs. Capcom" in the title might scare off some of the casual audience. Marvel's a much bigger name these days.

My thoughts exactly. People don't want to play as, and I quote, "that anime shit".

shaowebb

I approve.

My thoughts exactly. People don't want to play as, and I quote, "that anime shit".

Wait...so...so theres a chance they might be shooting for an all Marvel fighting game?

I...I...I...
Words fail me. There can be nothing better than this. There is no image macro cool enough to describe my excitement if this turns out to be a real thing.

shaowebb

I am. No Wesker. No Vergil. No Dante. No Zero. No Morrigan. No Akuma...

My god the entire meta is changed already if this happens. I am already down for this.

How do you know who those characters are and are not a comic book fan?

I read a lot of Marvel comics on the online reader with the free sub that came with the collector's edition of vanilla. None of them really stood out to me, but I liked the designs and powers of those two characters the most as far as a fighting game is concerned.

My god the entire meta is changed already if this happens. I am already down for this.

Assuming, of course, the systems even resemble MVC3.

Wait...so...so theres a chance they might be shooting for an all Marvel fighting game?

I...I...I...
Words fail me. There can be nothing better than this. There is no image macro cool enough to describe my excitement if this turns out to be a real thing.
I wouldn't get excited before you actually know something, haha.

I probably wouldn't buy it. Unless Quasar or Mr.Sinister is in it and it plays like Marvel, I don't really care. I'm no Marvel comics fan.
Depends on the theoretical roster and playstyle for me. I'm open to stuff. It would be annoying if they made a Marvel fighting game outside of MvC3, though. Just give us another goddamn expansion! Even if it's an all-Marvel expansion, I don't care.

It would be developed by Capcom, and there's no such thing as a Capcom fighter that doesn't have Capcom fighting styles in it.

How do you know who those characters are and are not a comic book fan?
I'm not a comic fan, and I know those characters. When my wife's step-father came to visit us last, I had an argument with him about Iron Man and civil war, and I've never read a comic. Do you know how I know these things? Hanging out on Marvel forums for the last 2 years, haha. You learn a huge amount about the characters just by talking with fans.

IMO, the real question is: what could a Marvel fighting game offer that would make people who own UMvC3 want to pick it up? There's a huge overlap between the interests. I'm sure any Marvel fan that would buy a Marvel fighting game already bought UMvC3, so Capcom would have to put something really spectacular together.

Azure J

You know, it's bad enough that Japanese games/gaming is already looked down upon like a person with leprocy, I don't need to be further saddened by people disregarding how much fun this is because "herp derp that anime is in that game? Fuck that shit." :/

Dahbomb

That's not anime.
Dante and Vergil are pretty much modeled around a lot of typical anime stereotypes. Wesker is really the odd one out but he is similar enough to the twins to be considered anime. Mihe is a big anime fan and basically picks the 3 most anime characters in the game aside from maybe Wright and Joe.

Of course the meta game is going to change when you remove 25 characters. That's an entire fighting game roster for a lot of other FGs. But now you have to deal with OP Magneto backed up by Hidden Missiles or Phoenix going unanswered for aside from maybe Dormammu and Taskmaster/Hawkeye to shake things up with Sentinel Drones. The Capcom side brought the most tools in both number and quality.

IMO, the real question is: what could a Marvel fighting game offer that would make people who own UMvC3 want to pick it up?

Marvel fans would buy because of their favorite characters, fighting game fan would buy it if the fighting looks interesting, and for the casuals make sure to focus your marketing on the Avengers or something like that.

Azure J

I specifically avoid the DMC bros in part because they look like they're made for anime nerds.

Says the catgirl player. :p

Really, I'm weird because I always kinda gravitate towards one character in particular in big roster games then either build off or play with others that offer something about that main that I liked.

Edit: @SolarKnight - I just got around to seeing that moveset, it's pretty cool actually. I'd love to see another good neutral area dominator and Bass.EXE would do that much in spades.

Marvel fans would buy because of their favorite characters, fighting game fan would buy it if the fighting looks interesting, and for the casuals make sure to focus your marketing on the Avengers or something like that.
I didn't say "why would this interest them". The game needs more than to just be a fighting game with Marvel characters in it. We already have that. There are good games being made all over the place. MvC3 with half the cast being removed for more Marvel characters won't cut it. People would hate it even more than another MvC3 expansion because of copy-paste characters in a "new" title. That means they need full, new movesets for everyone unless they want to piss people off. Unless the game won't be at full price, but then why do it?

I specifically avoid the DMC bros in part because they look like they're made for anime nerds.
image.php

Yeah, but why remove without adding anything new? Remove the Capcom side, but add more Marvel, including some returning favorites and new popular/interesting characters.

Anth0ny

I didn't say "why would this interest them". The game needs more than to just be a fighting game with Marvel characters in it. We already have that. There are good games being made all over the place. MvC3 with half the cast being removed for more Marvel characters won't cut it. People would hate it even more than another MvC3 expansion because of copy-paste characters in a "new" title. That means they need full, new movesets for everyone unless they want to piss people off. Unless the game won't be at full price, but then why do it?

MK vs. DC -> Injustice: Gods Among Us

Cyclops wouldn't be a Ryu clone. Don't be silly!

Yeah, but why remove without adding anything new? Remove the Capcom side, but add more Marvel, including some returning favorites and new popular/interesting characters.
I don't think you're reading my posts well.

MK vs. DC -> Injustice: Gods Among Us

Cyclops wouldn't be a Ryu clone. Don't be silly!
You still have to tell me who you were quoting before. And I doubt Injustice will be successful. We'll see.

You people are going absolutely nuts over tweet. This shit is amazing to read and look at lol.
I'm not a comic fan, and I know those characters. When my wife's step-father came to visit us last, I had an argument with him about Iron Man and civil war, and I've never read a comic. Do you know how I know these things? Hanging out on Marvel forums for the last 2 years, haha. You learn a huge amount about the characters just by talking with fans.
Civil war basically ruined Iron Man for me. He was such a fucking douche that I could never like the character now no matter what they do. He nearly got Pete killed!
You still have to tell me who you were quoting before. And I doubt Injustice will be successful. We'll see.
He was quoting haters. It's a common insult coming from dudebros who see Capcom and instantly think "weaboo shit". These are the same people who balk at color and over the top action. I guess they kind of overlap with the hardcore "mature" audience that the industry is catering to nowadays.

Anth0ny

It was my buddy. Dude is OBSESSED with Marvel. I thought he would love MVC3, but as soon as he saw... I think Morrigan? Ammy? He said fuck it.

I'm sure he's not alone. Gamers are shallow minded as fuck. People won't buy "nerdy" games, hence the popularity of ultrarealistic dudebro shooters and sports games.

shaowebb

I wouldn't get excited before you actually know something, haha.

It would be developed by Capcom, and there's no such thing as a Capcom fighter that doesn't have Capcom fighting styles in it.

I wouldn't care if they were attached to Marvel cast. Notice I almost entirely stick with comic book cast? I'm just more drawn to comics than Capcom cast in fighters and theres not really any Marvel crew I don't enjoy due to how much appeal they have for me as a longtime fan. With the exception of Spencer and Ammy the Capcom side of the cast doesn't really appeal to me much. I likes my clover games and I did a huge write up explaining how I feel on Spencer that explains my love of him and the potential I feel his game had yet failed to reach. Joe is fun too, but I have difficulty getting too into his character in spite of how fun the game was.
IMO, the real question is: what could a Marvel fighting game offer that would make people who own UMvC3 want to pick it up? There's a huge overlap between the interests. I'm sure any Marvel fan that would buy a Marvel fighting game already bought UMvC3, so Capcom would have to put something really spectacular together.

What would a Marvel fan need? More Marvel.

Best thing they could do is make the game "Avengers vs X-men" to be honest. Its the biggest crossover event in name you could throw on a cover and its very nature hypes your printed works and current product. If they went with that as a theme for the game it'd not only hype fans who are following the comics, but likely draw people who end up liking the game into the comics as well.

Plus this theme lets you highly establish your current mains in the publics eyes.
Guys involved in this event:

Iron Man, Captain America, She Hulk, Wolverine, Spiderman, Iron Fist, Mockingbird, Luke Cage, Thor, Quasar, Noh Var, Spiderman, Spider Woman, Ms Marvel, Rogue, The Falcon, Daredevil, Venom, Cable, Hope, Cyclops, X-23, Emma Frost, Iceman, Colossus(juggernaut empowered), Magik, Vision, Archangel, Deadpool, Fantomas, Captain Britain, Northstar, Gambit, Surge, Finesse, Hazmat, Armor, Beast, Hulk, Red Hulk, War Machine, Dr Strange, Namor...

And a metric ton of other dudes as well not counting in villains caught in the middle of things here and there.

In my opinion if they are doing another Marvel fighter and its all Marvel then THIS is the best option of themes for the game. Plus the endboss would be some kind of fight against The Phoenix and it lends itself heavily towards being able to incorporate a story into the game itself. In fact if its all Marvel, I'd bank on each ending giving a piece of the whole story and acting as one giant tease to draw people into the comics themself.

Pure. Money.

shaowebb

To that I say "hell no" because where does that leave the cosmic guys? :(

Dude Quasar is involved in this as well as Gladiator and Silver Surfer. Looks like the Nova corp is coming in soon too in order to mix it up with the Kree. The Phoenix force is a cosmic entity and their is MAJOR stuff going on with The Kree, Quasar, Noh Varr, Gladiator, Surfer and others all because of it. I believe its all in Secret Avengers and its looking like a bunch of "The Annihilators" roster will all be involved.

This is an entire Marvel Universe event and everyone not an X-man or mutant is aligned with The Avengers on the issue. Cosmic is covered and then some.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would be interesting if they are going with Marvel Super Heroes 2. I remembered that they teased it long time ago. If MvC3 sell well, then they would considering Marvel Super Heroes 2. That's if I remembered correctly.

I can see that they would add characters from popular cartoon that are airing currently, some heroes from future marvel movies, and currently comic arc. I can predict few characters, such as Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Thanos and Black Widow. They are going to remove Jill and transfer some of her assets to Black Widow easily. I really hope to see Loki in action. It would be nice to see that happens.

OR They are making MVC3x3 or MVC4. Either way, I would be happy with the result. Actually, I hope they were working on Nintendo vs Capcom that Ono joked about.

Dude Quasar is involved in this as well as Gladiator and Silver Surfer. Looks like the Nova corp is coming in soon too in order to mix it up with the Kree. The Phoenix force is a cosmic entity and their is MAJOR stuff going on with The Kree, Quasar, Noh Varr, Gladiator, Surfer and others all because of it.

This is an entire Marvel Universe event and everyone not an X-man or mutant is aligned with The Avengers on the issue. Cosmic is covered and then some.

Well, I know the Guardians of the Galaxy are gonna help the Avengers in their next series, but the question is, would that be enough for Marvel to consider them for the game? :(

Btw, last cosmic thing I read was Annhilators 1-4 a couple of weeks ago, could you PM me what you recommend I should read next? :T

When does Richard Rider come back?

I'm sure he will eventually, because that's what comic books do.

Well, Star Lord is coming back in a month or two, so probably he will be back around that time too.

shaowebb

The more I think about this the more it would make sense to do an Avengers vs X-men game. You pretty much get to showcase all of Marvel's current faces at once, you can tease the biggest event of the year through the game via snippets of the comic rewarded through unlocks, endings, and general story mode scenes, and the whole thing sings of enough bankability to make it worth pushing.

Fans of the comic event will want to play the game and fans of the game will be lured into buying Marvel comics. Its as simple as that. It even opens up comic fans to other Marvel series they may not have followed during the event through the stories of the other cast they would get to play potentially rolling more profits out of their existing fanbase into more print series through the game's influence. Now lets hope that this vague set of clues leads into this becoming a reality.

Man I'd love to fight The Phoenix Force at the end of a Marvel game by Capcom. It'd be different than DP since Hope is the new avatar of it and no one knows how its going to react to her since she has all the powers of every mutant at her command and they expect her to use it to reignite the X-gene on Earth in depowered mutants to revive the mutant species.

So much love for the dream of this being a fighter someday with all the cast involved.

No, I mean the preview on Off-Topic about AvX #5 (I think it was 5) that was posted in the last few days.

If you want to know...
Phoenix Force gets split in 5 and gets 5 hosts.

shaowebb

No, I mean the preview on Off-Topic about AvX #5 (I think it was 5) that was posted in the last few days.

If you want to know...
Phoenix Force gets split in 5 and gets 5 hosts.

O_O This has to become a game. Oh maaaaaaan does this have to become a fighting game now.

Different endings could even have fantasy variants like "what if?" where different portions of the game's cast end up with the 5 portions of the Phoenix force instead of the canon 5! Ohhhhh man do I want this as a fighter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom