• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Might as well throw down on this.

Avengers vs X-men...if the clues lead to it ACTUALLY becoming a real Capcom fighter who would you want in it as playables?

I honestly hate Felicia's design. She just ended up being too fun to drop.
I'm not calling you a liar, but I find it very hard to believe that anyone plays Felicia because she's more fun than X-23 or Wolverine.

You people are going absolutely nuts over tweet. This shit is amazing to read and look at lol.
Hey, after E3 we need something to look forward to! :-/

Civil war basically ruined Iron Man for me. He was such a fucking douche that I could never like the character now no matter what they do. He nearly got Pete killed!
It gives me an excuse to hate him beyond his general personality.

He was quoting haters. It's a common insult coming from dudebros who see Capcom and instantly think "weaboo shit". These are the same people who balk at color and over the top action. I guess they kind of overlap with the hardcore "mature" audience that the industry is catering to nowadays.
This made me smile. Would those kinds of people buy any Marvel fighting game, though? Comics are pretty nerdy.

It was my buddy. Dude is OBSESSED with Marvel. I thought he would love MVC3, but as soon as he saw... I think Morrigan? Ammy? He said fuck it.

I'm sure he's not alone. Gamers are shallow minded as fuck. People won't buy "nerdy" games, hence the popularity of ultrarealistic dudebro shooters and sports games.
This blows my mind. It's like when someone on GFAQs goes around calling someone else a lifeless loser. We're all posting on a videogame forum, that makes us all equally unable to criticize these activities. If you play videogames, you're a nerd.

I wouldn't care if they were attached to Marvel cast. Notice I almost entirely stick with comic book cast? I'm just more drawn to comics than Capcom cast in fighters and theres not really any Marvel crew I don't enjoy due to how much appeal they have for me as a longtime fan. With the exception of Spencer and Ammy the Capcom side of the cast doesn't really appeal to me much. I likes my clover games and I did a huge write up explaining how I feel on Spencer that explains my love of him and the potential I feel his game had yet failed to reach. Joe is fun too, but I have difficulty getting too into his character in spite of how fun the game was.
Fair enough. We'll see how it plays out, but I still think this would be an automatic loss for Capcom unless the game is hugely different and offers something special.

Dahbomb

Vergil... with the Phoenix force and the Muramasa blade + the Sparda sword fully unlocked.

It's funny though in the game there is banter between Vergil and Phoenix.

Avengers vs X-men...if the clues lead to it ACTUALLY becoming a real Capcom fighter who would you want in it as playables?

A working Iron Man, not a tin can forged into a character

Daredevil

Moon Knight

Thanos

Any Goblin

Cyke

Black Panther

Black Bolt

Despite my listing of characters, I'm not buying into anything until I see screens of a game.

shaowebb

A working Iron Man, not a tin can forged into a character

Daredevil

Moon Knight

Thanos

Any Goblin

Cyke

Black Panther

Black Bolt

Despite my listing of characters, I'm not buying into anything until I see screens of a game.

I'm not really sold myself on anything, but its pretty fun to do this and I've been in a mood lately wanting a new marvel game to be teased by Capcom. Fun to dream it could be an all marvel one.

For me if this involved AvsX I'd hope to see:

Moon Knight
Archangel
Fantomas (behold...Wesker's moveset)
Quasar
Gladiator
Noh Varr
Luke Cage
Ms Marvel
Spider Woman
Cyclops
Cable
Hope
Iceman

Anything else is icing on the cake. Oh and of course Iron Fist.

I can see Colossus coming back in a big way. His armor hyper would just put his Juggernaut gear on is all. New Venom would be cool as well. He'd be a take on Taskmaster's moves most likely with projectiles and swing mechanics. Likely he'd get a super form that turns him into old school Venom as well for those moments where he loses contorl of his symbiote like in the comic.

Solune

It was my buddy. Dude is OBSESSED with Marvel. I thought he would love MVC3, but as soon as he saw... I think Morrigan? Ammy? He said fuck it.

I'm sure he's not alone. Gamers are shallow minded as fuck. People won't buy "nerdy" games, hence the popularity of ultrarealistic dudebro shooters and sports games.

Wait who doesn't want to be a wolf goddess? And Morrigan? Hell if she was in other games I'd probably show more interest rather than be turned off by it.

---

Been working on Iron Fist again, Crumple combos into Rawtags are so much damn fun. It doesn't work with Nemesis though. It works with Hulk and Sentinel though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WHAT IS GOING ON OMG OMG OMG OMG

Here is the Ask Capcom. This shit is full of gems juice.

3:00 Shrugs off CvS3. Confirms no big E3 announcements for fighting games. EVO, Comic-con mentioned in events they could announce stuff. CvS particularly unlikely, licensing nightmare. Even CvS2 port would be hard.
5:00 Seth trolls Monster Hunter fans HARD. The joke he makes for the 10th anniversary :lol
6:50 AE no big updates planned. SFxTK updates discussed. "Fireworks" to be expected in the future, Capcom is looking at "everything".
9:30 Someone asks WTF is up with Darkstalkers. "The shirt said it best." Mention Darkstalkers needs room to breathe. They pretty much 100% acknowledge it's existence.
11:30 Niitsuma is in town, went to SF to talk to people at Marvel Games. All quiet on the Marvel front. No rebalance planned. Compares it to MvC2. Mentions juice.
13:30 Mentions no Magneto alt replacement planned. Says Marvel team has been scattered though and would be hard to bring back together. This is contradictory from what we've heard before that Niitsuma's team has moved on (assuming it's all in one piece at the time). Megaman question right afterwards with particular tip toeing.
22:20 Seth discusses on-disc DLC. Games already in development will not be affected, but in the future, a change is to be expected.
23:20 Seth talks Viewtiful Joe, but it ends up with him teasing some sort of "blast from the past" that they didn't see coming. Turns out Japan has some sort of autonomy and don't really divulge everything to Capcom USA from the way it sounded.
27:30 "Why not stop teasing DSIV and just announce it already?" Also talks game development process and how they give input.
30:45 December teased as time for Megaman Anniversary. "Stay away from our anniversary, Megaman weirdos" :lol I love Seth.
41:35 Seth talks Morrigan in UMvC3. Seth says ranged gameplay was one of the priorities going into Ultimate, and Morrigan is just the beginning of untapped potential in that angle of combat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Remember how they kept on teasing there was going to be a new Strider and then went quiet about it?

Keep that in mind.
r u seth

But yeah when asked about a new Strider in the Ask Capcom the topic change was so quick and sublime. I believe it's coming. Probably not the same blast from the past they're teasing though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I meant that more as an analog to what Capcom is saying about Darkstalkers now.

As in. There was probably a new Strider at some point but its dead now.

shaowebb

WHAT IS GOING ON OMG OMG OMG OMG

Here is the Ask Capcom. This shit is full of gems juice.

3:00 Shrugs off CvS3. Confirms no big E3 announcements for fighting games. EVO, Comic-con mentioned in events they could announce stuff. CvS particularly unlikely, licensing nightmare. Even CvS2 port would be hard.
5:00 Seth trolls Monster Hunter fans HARD. The joke he makes for the 10th anniversary :lol
6:50 AE no big updates planned. SFxTK updates discussed. "Fireworks" to be expected in the future, Capcom is looking at "everything".
9:30 Someone asks WTF is up with Darkstalkers. "The shirt said it best." Mention Darkstalkers needs room to breathe. They pretty much 100% acknowledge it's existence.
11:30 Niitsuma is in town, went to SF to talk to people at Marvel Games. All quiet on the Marvel front. No rebalance planned. Compares it to MvC2. Mentions juice.
13:30 Mentions no Magneto alt replacement planned. Says Marvel team has been scattered though and would be hard to bring back together. This is contradictory from what we've heard before that Niitsuma's team has moved on (assuming it's all in one piece at the time). Megaman question right afterwards with particular tip toeing.
22:20 Seth discusses on-disc DLC. Games already in development will not be affected, but in the future, a change is to be expected.
23:20 Seth talks Viewtiful Joe, but it ends up with him teasing some sort of "blast from the past" that they didn't see coming. Turns out Japan has some sort of autonomy and don't really divulge everything to Capcom USA from the way it sounded.
27:30 "Why not stop teasing DSIV and just announce it already?" Also talks game development process and how they give input.
30:45 December teased as time for Megaman Anniversary. "Stay away from our anniversary, Megaman weirdos" :lol I love Seth.
41:35 Seth talks Morrigan in UMvC3. Seth says ranged gameplay was one of the priorities going into Ultimate, and Morrigan is just the beginning of untapped potential in that angle of combat.

Now that has me interested. Any theories on potential zoning teamups gaf? RR + Trish trap hell?

Azure J

I meant that more as an analog to what Capcom is saying about Darkstalkers now.

As in. There was probably a new Strider at some point but its dead now.

They're really good at developing games that will get cancelled at this point, aren't they? :p

Happy to see that Capcom's on Morrigan's side. People need to lrn2passedfierball already.

I only know guys from the x-men tv show. I didn't even know who all the avengers were until the movie. Colossus is my favorite x-man, though.

Wait who doesn't want to be a wolf goddess? And Morrigan? Hell if she was in other games I'd probably show more interest rather than be turned off by it.

---

Been working on Iron Fist again, Crumple combos into Rawtags are so much damn fun. It doesn't work with Nemesis though. It works with Hulk and Sentinel though.
Unbelievably, there are people that hate Morrigan.

They're really good at developing games that will get cancelled at this point, aren't they? :p

Happy to see that Capcom's on Morrigan's side. People need to lrn2passedfierball already.
Careful there. Seth is on Morrigan's side. Who knows about the folks actually in charge of balancing the game. Seth was on the side that said Sentinel would need his 1.3 million health to survive as the metagame evolves, while others (who knows who) felt he was OP and needed to be nerfed. Seth lost that fight.

Dormammu!

For real? Wolverine in particular seems so one-dimensional in comparison.
All I ever see Felicia players do is jump into Delta Kick.

Generally, I feel like if you're the kind of person who likes hardcore rushdown, you want the fastest, most blood pumping character there is. Felicia has this kind of medium speed thing going for her. Wolverine is all over the place. She's one of the few characters that I just can't enjoy playing, though I have nothing against her aesthetically.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
All I ever see Felicia players do is jump into Delta Kick.

Generally, I feel like if you're the kind of person who likes hardcore rushdown, you want the fastest, most blood pumping character there is. Felicia has this kind of medium speed thing going for her. Wolverine is all over the place. She's one of the few characters that I just can't enjoy playing, though I have nothing against her aesthetically.
Half screen low slide safe on block, 1-frame command grab, and airthrows that lead into combos without assists, man.

I mained her literally from start to finish in the last game and she didn't even have a divekick in that.

Half screen low slide safe on block, 1-frame command grab, and airthrows that lead into combos without assists, man.
I know her stuff. My main Vanilla sparring partner was a Felicia main. I'm just saying what I actually see in practice. Jump or superjump, delta air kick, over and over. She's obviously a good character, so I'm not entirely clear on why you told me what she has going for her. I'm talking more about the fun factor of ripping into people when you RTSD. It doesn't feel like it's there for her.

I mained her literally from start to finish in the last game and she didn't even have a divekick in that.
Yeah, but didn't you anchor her? IIRC your Vanilla team was Taskmaster/Morrigan/Felicia. Anchor Felicia is obviously a different animal, and I can see enjoying that.

Grecco

If we are doing the requests thing id love Gambit, Cyclops, Songbird, Baron Zemo, Emma Frost, Daredevil, Fantomex, OG Venom , Elektra, and probably someone from the Inhumans, either Lockjaw, Medusa or Blackbolt.

Video was awesome, I don't know if Missiles can even reach up there since they too have a height restriction similar to energy javelin iirc (they'll do a weak curve up once they reach it).

Not a hard counter, plus I doubt Chris had MODOK experience, but good work nonetheless. Definitely worth exploring deeper but that would require people to put in work on a second team (which will never happen this year) :3

Also, Agamatto is such a bad ass zoning assist. Strange is starting to look more and more interesting. I don't know whether to fire up Modok/Morrigan/Phoenix for real, or just learn Strange to take Hawkeye's place to give certain teams/setups a few ruffles.

Bizazedo

Chris G gets out lamed. Glorious.

Looks like Morrigan has found her counter.

My buddy has been insisting for awhile that MODOK was a counter to Morrigan. I conceptually agreed with him, but my counterpoint was always Chris G is legit good, anyways, and no one of equal skill really plays MODOK.

Hopefully someone does, now, and knocks Chris G out before I or 645 face him at Evo :).

shaowebb

Chris G vs Dire match (Offcam RAW footage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IkgI4AFEjnY

Warning: HYPE AHEAD!

LMAO @ crowd getting hype over MODOK sitting up in the air while Morrigan was spending her AV and XFLVL3.

That was awesome!

MODOK hard trolling Morrigan and an OCV at the start of the set. Sooo good.
Maybe MODOK, Strange Double Beam and RR log would work for some of that Seth "secret tech". Pop shield, dash back balloon bomb and double beam then start chucking analyze cubes...

dankir

If anybody was streaming or at MAT IX last weekend in Montreal me and buddy were on site covering the event to give you some behind the scenes footage and shit.

I interviewed all the top players, Dieminion, Wolkfrone, Chi-rithy and Snafoo. I also interviewed Dangeresque who finished 3rd in Ultimate. I couldn't get any time with Quadrizzle unfortunately.

There isn't that much Ultimate footage unfortunately except me getting my ass kicked by one of the organizers. But if you want a idea of these players mindsets, their thoughts on the Canadian scene check it out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4_PO8E4Pc&feature=g-upl

LMAO @ crowd getting hype over MODOK sitting up in the air while Morrigan was spending her AV and XFLVL3.
Some of these people literally sound like monkeys.
Hey, after E3 we need something to look forward to! :-/
Do what I'm doing. Buy some new fighters and pick out one for sub purposes. I find that variety makes better players. We probably won't be seeing updates for UMvC3 any time soon anyway. I guess I should go out and buy UMvC3 for the PS3 if I keep saying this...
This made me smile. Would those kinds of people buy any Marvel fighting game, though? Comics are pretty nerdy.
Some might, but most of these people just squirm when a Japanese company is in charge. It doesn't have anything to do with Marvel characters.

Chavelo

My buddy has been insisting for awhile that MODOK was a counter to Morrigan. I conceptually agreed with him, but my counterpoint was always Chris G is legit good, anyways, and no one of equal skill really plays MODOK.

Hopefully someone does, now, and knocks Chris G out before I or 645 face him at Evo :).

Oh, you're going to EVO? Awesome! We should get some games in online later this week and some casuals at the event. Maybe a lil' GAF get-together? :O

Bizazedo

Oh, you're going to EVO? Awesome! We should get some games in online later this week and some casuals at the event. Maybe a lil' GAF get-together? :O

Fine w/me. Going to try and bring a PS3 setup as well.

I'm online pretty much all the time, otherwise, usually 360.

So, do we have a list of GAFers that are going to EVO? Heh, I wonder if you people will get the chance to play my friends from here during the pools xD

*sigh* I wish I could go to EVO too even if I'd get destroyed -o-

dankir

SO Troll.D.O.K is the counter pick to Morrigan because of his shield or cuz he can basically fly to the top of screen and chill for a minute lol.

Great match though, anymore match footage or direct feed?

cednym

Banned
It's funny — I think Capcom did a great job at picking as diverse a cast as possible while managing to get most of the heavy hitters in there, but looking back at the characters left out of the game, there are a ton of A-listers left to promote a sequel around:

Cyclops
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Silver Surfer
Punisher
Black Panther
Blade
Green Goblin
Red Skull
Loki
Doctor Octopus

There are also big name characters like Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Thanos who are particularly popular at the moment thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's no shortage of newcomers for a potential game like Marvel Super Heroes 2.

Dahbomb

MODOK isn't really a counter pick much like Trish isn't a counter pick (she can also stay in the air a long time). Morrigan didn't have Hidden Missiles to cover MODOK at that space and like I have been saying a thousand times... Morrigan without Doom isn't all that. Chris didn't get once change to set up Morrigan + Doom properly.

But he definitely does a lot better than many characters in the game and he should be played more often not just for this tech but because he has a lot of other tech too. Too bad he gets rushdown hard.

We haven't see any Dorm or Hawkeye heavy shenanigans with keepaway.

LOL, so either we are getting a UMvC3X sometime or a pure marvel fighter.
People who have played me have seen the Dormammu keepaway! ;-) Most teams just don't have an answer to 9 Stalking Flares in a row...

Great matches. MODOK is probably the game's best XF3 counter.

That was awesome!

MODOK hard trolling Morrigan and an OCV at the start of the set. Sooo good.
Maybe MODOK, Strange Double Beam and RR log would work for some of that Seth "secret tech". Pop shield, dash back balloon bomb and double beam then start chucking analyze cubes...
Someone else used Bolts with MODOK, and it was pretty good. He could combo:
Psionic Blaster -> Bolts -> Psionic Blaster -> Bolts -> Psionic Blaster.

Did like 300K I think.

Do what I'm doing. Buy some new fighters and pick out one for sub purposes. I find that variety makes better players. We probably won't be seeing updates for UMvC3 any time soon anyway. I guess I should go out and buy UMvC3 for the PS3 if I keep saying this...
Apparently Capcom is doing all its big announcements at a summer event. You might want to hold out until then unless you can find it for cheap. I'm content with Marvel, I just get excited about more Marvel! Other fighting games just don't grab me in the same way. I tend to get bored.

Some might, but most of these people just squirm when a Japanese company is in charge. It doesn't have anything to do with Marvel characters.
Ah, is that so?

MODOK isn't really a counter pick much like Trish isn't a counter pick (she can also stay in the air a long time). Morrigan didn't have Hidden Missiles to cover MODOK at that space and like I have been saying a thousand times... Morrigan without Doom isn't all that. Chris didn't get once change to set up Morrigan + Doom properly.

But he definitely does a lot better than many characters in the game and he should be played more often not just for this tech but because he has a lot of other tech too. Too bad he gets rushdown hard.
MODOK is different from Trish because he can block while in flight mode, and can go waaay higher than Trish. He also has more health, and his air time is much longer. He also has a beam, the ability to instant-place projectiles throughout the screen, and better assists than Trish for fighting Morrigan.

MODOK's shield barrier is pretty boss, too. Very underutilized.

I'm loving the new metagame, though.

Solune

Unbelievably, there are people that hate Morrigan.
It puzzles me really. But I blame years of seeing the same old sprite in every crossover. You know, I'd love to see Soul Eraser again though.
I want a MSH 2 so we can get all the obvious picks they missed.
I want an MSH 2 for that gawdlyke music.
It's funny — I think Capcom did a great job at picking as diverse a cast as possible while managing to get most of the heavy hitters in there, but looking back at the characters left out of the game, there are a ton of A-listers left to promote a sequel around:

Cyclops
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Silver Surfer
Punisher
Black Panther
Blade
Green Goblin
Red Skull
Loki
Doctor Octopus

There are also big name characters like Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Thanos who are particularly popular at the moment thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's no shortage of newcomers for a potential game like Marvel Super Heroes 2.

Pretty solid list but the lack of Venom and Gambit are questionable! After Avengers I'd also like to see a Black Widow, i think she'd be Cammy-esque.

Bizazedo

People who have played me have seen the Dormammu keepaway! ;-) Most teams just don't have an answer to 9 Stalking Flares in a row...

I can't wait to try and get through this.

MODOK's shield barrier is pretty boss, too. Very underutilized.

I'm loving the new metagame, though.

The shield kills him as much as helps him, but it is nice. His air throw and followup combo capability is awesome, though. He can also set up his own unblockable situations on the ground without assists.

Also, Killer Illumination beats Bionic Arm :). So hype.

No meteors? LOL.

Forget bullet hell, meteor-pillar-stalker flare hell aka hell on earth.
My setup generally keeps people pinned to the corner, and 1D2C mostly whiffs against cornered opponents. I will only use the Flare to charge 1D2C if I'm getting low on meter so I can replace Stalking Flare spam with multiple meteor showers, which helps me get back to Stalking Flares.

The series is just a simple Purification x Stalking Flare, call Dark Harmonizer, Purification, Purification x Stalking Flare, repeat from the Dark Harmonizer call. Each series builds about half a meter, so Stalking Flare becomes a half-bar hyper against a lot of the cast.

It puzzles me really. But I blame years of seeing the same old sprite in every crossover. You know, I'd love to see Soul Eraser again though.
I have to think it's just the fact that she's keepaway, and the FGC, despite slamming scrubs, is pretty scrubby itself in its mentality.

I can't wait to try and get through this.
What's your team, anyway? There are some characters I have to rush because they have easy answers to the Flares (which is why it should recover a lot faster). Some characters have answers that very few know, so I do it anyway haha.

I know you play Zero, and Zero is one that, AFAIK has no answer if I can get it started. Getting it started is damn hard, though. If there's a character that is a one man army, it's Zero. I have some time to play right now if you want, but don't expect much - I'm still really rusty after not playing for so long.

The shield kills him as much as helps him, but it is nice. His air throw and followup combo capability is awesome, though. He can also set up his own unblockable situations on the ground without assists.

Also, Killer Illumination beats Bionic Arm :). So hype.
He has really strong flow after he gets the first hit, too. Jamming Bomb, snapback, and then you have the shield barrier up for free incoming pressure. People should probably put him with a low hitting assist to make more use of that, since his lows are bad.

What's your team, anyway? There are some characters I have to rush because they have easy answers to the Flares (which is why it should recover a lot faster). Some characters have answers that very few know, so I do it anyway haha.

I know you play Zero, and Zero is one that, AFAIK has no answer if I can get it started. Getting it started is damn hard, though. If there's a character that is a one man army, it's Zero. I have some time to play right now if you want, but don't expect much - I'm still really rusty after not playing for so long.

Well, he uses Nova too IIRC, so it shouldn't be hard for him to punish you for trying that if he has a meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom