• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cednym

Banned
Here's my revised Marvel Super Heroes 2 roster, without any cuts.

GrAuj.png

Broken down into the main "factions" of the Marvel Universe:

Green - The Avengers
Blue - X-Men
Teal - Fantastic Four
Red - Street
Purple - Horror
Orange - Cosmic

Of course, there's some overlap (Silver Surfer and Super-Skrull are also cosmic, etc.), but those are the primary designations.

cednym

Banned
We don't -- it's just idle speculation. Niitsuma flew to LA to meet up with the Marvel Games guys a few weeks ago, and it's too soon for an MvC4, so yeah.

Yep, why WWE video games don't sell when they include 90% of the same roster in the same video game and add new characters and only remove characters who fired/left.

Sent/Shuma are the ones with the LEAST fanbase and usage rate in Marvel.

Every other character is highly used.

UMvC3 backlash was COMPLETELY time based and Capcom doing this for all games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yep, why WWE video games don't sell when they include 90% of the same roster in the same video game and add new characters and only remove characters who fired/left.

UMvC3 backlash was COMPLETELY time based and Capcom doing this for all games.
You can't be serious. Have you watched competitive Marvel since the week after the Sent nerf in Vanilla?

WWE games are sports games. Do you really think that model would work in traditional fighting games? I've heard enough casual players complain about even SSFIV to believe that model would work, despite how much value I see in the step up from SFIV. Sales seem to reflect that. I don't know if time would make people forget that the fighting game they're buying is largely the same as the last one unless your holding the Nintendo card. I just don't see the casual audience accepting it.

Yeah I have. Sent has the least usage and people who run him admit that if it wasn't for drones they wouldn't run him. As time goes on, his usage will continue to drop.

He has the least fans overall. Casual and comic fans considering. Him and Shuma.. Where all other Marvel characters cater to comic fans, casual fans or bring interesting dynamics. Sent brings a gameplay aspect but not on the level of MODOK, Ammy, etc.

People used him at the beginning due ease after the health nerfs and the anti Sent tech discovered, he is seen as more of a liability to a team.

You can name Sent players on one hand.

Dahbomb

Sentinel is one of the most used characters in Marvel 3 both online and offline. Doesn't matter if he is only used for the assist, he is used a ton in the game.

I can only agree with him not having a fanbase in the Marvel comics fan community but in the FGC Sentinel has a lot of following as he is a VS game veteran appearing in the original COTA. Not every roster choice in a Marvel game made by Capcom has to have Marvel comic fan favorites, we can afford to have a few that are Capcom FG players' favorites. Sentinel is definitely one of these characters.

If Sentinel played like the Gundam machine he was in MVC2 then a lot of people would play him in MVC3. I certainly would. A lot can be done with the character, he has some interesting tools in the game still and he can be made better. Upping his general speed in the air and giving him refly would automatically double his character usage.

He barely sees Tourney play. Online is online.

Sent isn't liked by casuals either. They ask why is a nameless robot that gets thrashed by the X-Men in the game.

Sent/Shuma are the only ones who could be cut due to the low fandom. Not saying they should be cut, but those will be the firsts on the chopping block.

Grecco

MVC3 already copy pasted lots of stuff from TVC. It didnt "Cheapen" Marvel 3. Using assets from MVC3 to a potential new game wouldnt cheapn it either imo.

Turlast

Banned
I really want to believe there's something in the works.

Does anyone believe there's a good chance we're actually going to get something Marvel related soon? I'd be cool with an update for Ultimate, or a Marvel Super Heroes 2. I just want more Mahvel!

Dahbomb

LMAO @ this video, the MM hype trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tv99eiPeBRo

Yeah... that's why the biggest money match in MVC3 so far has both players using Sentinel and if Joker didn't back out he too would be using Sentinel as well. Sentinel is featured in every scene where there is Marvel, from Florida to Seattle to WC to the EC to the South. You make it sound like he is some rare obscure MODOK type character.

Count all the Sentinel players in your hand? That hand be alien because my hand has 5 fingers and there are for sure more than 5 good Sentinel players in the US. A rare character is fucking Iron Man and even Storm is more rare than Sentinel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Sent isn't liked by casuals either. They ask why is a nameless robot that gets thrashed by the X-Men in the game.

Sent/Shuma are the only ones who could be cut due to the low fandom. Not saying they should be cut, but those will be the firsts on the chopping block.
You really have proven you don't watch much competitive play. Dahbomb probably has the character stats statistics to back it up too. I remember a recent breakdown showing hes still largely part of the metagame. Some players like characters that they just think are good, even for just an invaluable assist.

There's a high stakes money match going down this weekend between two titans that both use Sent.

1/3 to 1/2 of the cast is used less than Sent. Your going to honestly say Sent is used less than characters like Hsien-Ko, Shuma, Phoenix Wright, Iron Man, Chun-Li, etc. etc. The list goes on. I might even say 2/3 of the cast.

Holy shit.

The guy who uploaded it: JokeRaynatiq :lol

Dahbomb

3 of these things are hot, 1 isn't:

1) Charlize Theron

2) Prometheus

3) The MM between Fanatiq and RayRay

4) Vergil in his coatless alt

Tournament stats will be upped right before EVO. Sentinel has good representation but not as much as he had in Vanilla where he was like top 5 most used character (maybe top 3 don't remember). His best performance was at NCR with Knives in GF.

shaowebb

Niitsuma meeting with Marvel has me hopeful for an all Marvel game. Marvel seems kind of desperate as of late to come up with ways to promote their physical product so I wouldn't put it past them to go for anything that pushes current Marvel at the public. Just look their game scene lately.

MMO by Gazillion
Avengers by Ubisoft
Amazing Spiderman by Activision

It just looks like they are trying to saturate themselves into gaming through as many studios as possible hoping to find something that clicks heavily with the crowds.

Right now Avengers is drawing attention so if their is another Marvel game expect a heavy push of Avengers cast on it as its their main draw in comics and due to its theater success.

Right now if a new Marvel lineup kicked in for a fighter I'm betting it'd incorporate Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, Luke Cage, Mockingbird, Vision, Noh Varr, and Falcon at this point to parallel the missing portions of their various Avengers teams. All would have a lot to add really. Here's hoping something comes of Niitsuma's talks in the form of a new game. Marvel could use the publicity for their current stars and we could always use more marvel.

smurfx

get some go again
well if marvel wants a marvel only fighting game then please go with capcom. all other marvel non capcom fighting games have been complete ass.

Turlast

Banned
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, too. I know it was said Niitsuma and his team are working on other projects, so hopefully it's an all Marvel fighter and not something else unrelated.

smurfx

get some go again
yo! i just got my first draw in ultimate. i remember being one of the only ones that had one during vanilla on ranked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, too. I know it was said Niitsuma and his team are working on other projects, so hopefully it's an all Marvel fighter and not something else unrelated.
And we know it's a fighting game too.

An all Marvel fighter.. I would just feel sad it's not in MvC3's engine TBH :(

EDIT: Actually, to make things interesting.. if there was an all-Marvel fighter, what would you guys want from the game in terms of game mechanics? Would you want it a tag battle game or 1v1? Traditional 2D fighter or Smash-style? etc.

Turlast

Banned
I'd prefer just a 1-on-1 like the previous Marvel Super Heroes in traditional 2D. I mean, it'd be perfect if there was an option to select either single battle or tag team. Also, I could see it being made on the MVC3 engine, since it's hard to picture them discarding it just like that.

I think there'd be some changes to the battle system, like no X-Factor and team aerial exchanges--and possibly a switch to the traditional six button layout. Other than that, I think they'd just build off of what's already there.

A lot of people think MVC3 is too easy, so how would you feel about just-frame versions of moves like Electric Wind God in SFxT?

For instance, hit S and back on the same frame to have a faster start up on flight mode.
I think this game has a lot of really touchy combos, and this might mess up execution. I think it's a neat idea, but how much use would it have? How would I know if I pulled off the just-frame version when I can't see my character half the time?

UMvC3 backlash was COMPLETELY time based and Capcom doing this for all games.Yeah I have. Sent has the least usage and people who run him admit that if it wasn't for drones they wouldn't run him. As time goes on, his usage will continue to drop.

He has the least fans overall. Casual and comic fans considering. Him and Shuma.. Where all other Marvel characters cater to comic fans, casual fans or bring interesting dynamics. Sent brings a gameplay aspect but not on the level of MODOK, Ammy, etc.

People used him at the beginning due ease after the health nerfs and the anti Sent tech discovered, he is seen as more of a liability to a team.

You can name Sent players on one hand.
I know you hate Sentinel, but this is just silly. He has a high usage rage both online and in competitive play, and offers a unique combat style.

3 of these things are hot, 1 isn't:

1) Charlize Theron

2) Prometheus

3) The MM between Fanatiq and RayRay

4) Vergil in his coatless alt

Tournament stats will be upped right before EVO. Sentinel has good representation but not as much as he had in Vanilla where he was like top 5 most used character (maybe top 3 don't remember). His best performance was at NCR with Knives in GF.
Charlize Theron, right?

Charlize Theron is fucking hot. Wrong answer.

It's Prometheus, not even the hotness of Theron could make Prometheus and Snow White good.
Oops. :-/ Was Prometheus really that bad? Thinking about going to see it and Avengers this weekend.

well if marvel wants a marvel only fighting game then please go with capcom. all other marvel non capcom fighting games have been complete ass.
Pretty much all other fighting game companies are ass, IMO. Arksys as the exception.

Dahbomb

Oops. :-/ Was Prometheus really that bad? Thinking about going to see it and Avengers this weekend.
Not plot spoilers but rather quality of movie spoilers:

Depends on how much of a fan you were of the original franchise. Visually and presentation wise it's one of the best movies of the year easily and a phenomenon showcase of both 3D technology and Ridley Scott at the director helm of a sci fi movie. The characters were pretty trite aside from the main 3 and the plot took a massive nose dive after around the half way/three fourths mark. Someone compared it to Lost and I would agree, the plot ends up being convoluted just for the sake of convolution and letting fans go wild with theories. You end up with more questions after you finish watching the movie as compared to when you begin watching it. I would still rank this better than Alien 3 and the rest of the garbage that followed but it doesn't reach the caliber of the first 2 movies. It's not a bad movie and I certainly recommend watching it just for the impressive visuals and concept alone but I was left disappointed by the end and I wasn't even OMEGA hyped for this like some people were.

shaowebb

Thank you for proving my point. SNK has terrible aesthetic taste, and their gameplay is uninteresting.

I am staying the hell away from this sort of talk.
You also forgot the awesome that is Revergelabs. They accomplished more with a ridiculously small team of guys than most studios who have tried to create fighters with entire rooms full of coders.

Pray the dudes can land a licensed deal with something someday. My money is on Konami taking a second attempt at getting a Castlevania fighter made someday using them if they stick around long enough.

I think this game has a lot of really touchy combos, and this might mess up execution. I think it's a neat idea, but how much use would it have? How would I know if I pulled off the just-frame version when I can't see my character half the time?
Honestly, I just want an excuse to bring back fast fly.

Tirael

Okay guys, I got it. Here's what they're in talks about.

Marvel vs. Batman.

Unfair, I know, but at least it would be interesting to watch.

Azure J

You know, just a bunch of off topic stuff thanks to the last few posts in here:

- Just got around to watching the pre-Avengers tie in movies. Iron Man 2 makes me realize how much I really like the Stark/Pepper dynamic in the movies. It's really fun to witness. Thor was the second movie up and good God, Kat Dennings. Like I don't know what the fuck the movie was about (exaggeration), but Kat Dennings is mai waifu. :lol

- You know, I just don't get it. As a kid (like really really young), my parents and aunt took me and my younger sister to the Space Mountain Alien attraction and I swear that shit traumatized me. How bad is it? The moment I was in the theater watching trailers prior to the Avengers and saw the Prometheus stuff first hand, I felt myself turning straight bitch when that one wailing sound clip started playing. Yet through all of that, I found myself so fascinated about the concept that I'm considering doing a run through Alien to Prometheus. :p

- Enzo's rationale had me work on a MvC4 roster with similar intent put into character choices, even though I'm the kind of person that feels like with games like this, you should try to represent the largest potential breadth of your IPs. I'll put it up tomorrow because I'm borderline retarded from tiredness now. :lol

- On fighters, I really feel like Capcom is the comfort food company when it comes to the genre. I really need to explore more, especially on the ArcSys side of things. Reverge has my heart though just because of how they handle fan input and present themselves in the community. I need to get some money soon and go in on that Skullgirls, I'm such a fraud gamer I swear getting hyped legitimately but not getting these things day one.

-

Solune

Well there's Spencer's just frame command grab > kick. You get that extra oomph and extra wallbounce but it's not practical for his higher damaging combos off of his throw. Plus with the extra wallbounce it ruins your positioning so there's no real reason to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom