• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'll try practicing with akuma again and see where it takes me. I really like magnus and vergil though, what would be a good person to pair them up with out of that list?

I'm not too familial with everything about those characters but probably Dante.

Though imo Dante is pretty execution heavy.

All of this shit seems fake:
- It is being developed for PS3 and Vita only at the moment, but that could change in the future. (This just seems illogical altogether, and the lack of reasoning suggests a Sony exclusivity which is again highly unlikely)

It does, but there is precedence for sony exclusivity, fighting game sales are apparently wearing off, Sony is obsessed with exclusive titles and wants as much momentum possible going into next gen.

Unlikely, but not implausible.

Dahbomb

Going to post some thoughts on the money match after I get back home. And my ass hole was tight the entire set except the last 5 games.

My theory fighter brain won out in the end.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't know why people thought Ray Ray was going to win. Even if Ray Ray got a lead on Fanatiq he still had his Spencer to lean back on.

I don't think his Spencer is that bad either (though I've only seen it destroying Mike Ross so...)

LakeEarth

I think when it comes to an effective easy-mode team, Spencer/Wesker/(Forward Assist) is up there. Good synergy, both characters work well with a forward assist (Sentinel, Hawkeye, Taskmaster), and you can get decent damage from magic series (though there's plenty of room for improvement). Spencer/Assist/Wesker may be better, as you take advantage of XF3 Wesker, and you'll probably get a better hyper to DHC into.

Onemic

I think when it comes to an effective easy-mode team, Spencer/Wesker/(Forward Assist) is up there. Good synergy, both characters work well with a forward assist (Sentinel, Hawkeye, Taskmaster), and you can get decent damage from magic series (though there's plenty of room for improvement). Spencer/Assist/Wesker may be better, as you take advantage of XF3 Wesker, and you'll probably get a better hyper to DHC into.

Wesker/Vergil/Magneto?

I've tried practicing spencers combos from the official strategy guide for hours on end just to have me near breaking my stick in frustration.

EDIT: Okay, Akuma's BnB's seem hella easy, I'll stick with this for the time being.

Also in a bit, I will do a breakdown of chars I consider to be the synergy kings.

And then later break down potential Marvel characters into the four categories that Nitsuma uses: Technical, Balanced, Power, Quick IIRC.

And from what I hear, Storm was the deciding fact.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Consoles.

iRBWg1IHXSKtu.gif

FSLink

Banned
It does, but there is precedence for sony exclusivity, fighting game sales are apparently wearing off, Sony is obsessed with exclusive titles and wants as much momentum possible going into next gen.

Unlikely, but not implausible.

It could also easily mean that they're developing on PS3 and Vita first and porting it to 360 later in development, if they really did start Darkstalkers IV, it'd make sense that it's in the very initial stages.

Regarding Street Fighter x Tekken:
- Several testers have been fired over the Rolento knife glitch getting through testing. (LOL)
- The PC patch which was supposed to update the game to 1.04 was delayed because of the Rolento knife glitch. Capcom didn’t want to spend the money on older patches for PC (Spending money on PC patches? What are you on about?), so they were waiting for the newest edition, 1.04 to be out on consoles, and then release the PC update about a week later, but due to the glitch’s discovery, it was halted. PC will be receiving the update to 1.05 within a week after the console update.
Don't they charge money for patches for Games for Windows Live games? Or am I mistaken?
- Pandora is getting buffed for the Vita release. It will last very slightly longer and will come with a major strength boost, as well as the free meter that it already grants. (Lack of parity of game mechanics across versions is highly unlikely)
- The timer is getting fixed for the Vita release. It will take two seconds to pass 1 in-game second, so basically match times are doubled. (Lack of parity of game mechanics across versions is highly unlikely)

I took this to mean that since DLC characters are supposedly being released at the Vita version's release, there's likely to be a patch too, which would obviously have this in it.

Regarding UMvC3:
- A balance patch is in the works, but that’s it. UMvC3 is also finished. (Likely fake because the team has been dissolved and has moved on, according to Seth a million times)
I would think a balance patch wouldn't require the entire team.

I dunno, everything about it seems rather reasonable and not too crazy.

I dunno, I never really saw Spencer as an easy mode character. A mediocre Spencer can overwhelm mediocre players sure, but using his bnbs aren't too easy for beginners. I've always liked Ryu/Wesker/Hawkeye aka Chris G's old team as a decent beginner team. Ryu's easy to understand, Wesker has the easy combos and the OTG assist to teach that, Hawkeye teaches zoning/using his assist for mixups or getting in. Taskmaster, Wolverine, Akuma, and Sentinel are also good candidates for easy to learn characters. The old easy team of Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma is still really effective today too.

LakeEarth

Wesker/Vergil/Magneto?
I've tried practicing spencers combos from the official strategy guide for hours on end just to have me near breaking my stick in frustration.

EDIT: Okay, Akuma's BnB's seem hella easy, I'll stick with this for the time being.

I'm talking EASY mode, ABC launch MMHS into ender easymode. Vergil and Magnus take some effort to get good with, comparatively.

I dunno, I never really saw Spencer as an easy mode character. A mediocre Spencer can overwhelm mediocre players sure, but using his bnbs aren't too easy for beginners.
His midscreen combos are hard to do, but that's where Wesker's assist comes into play. And screw BnB's, his magic series does good damage by itself, into OTG assist upgrapple into hyper does ~700k.

Of course they all have hard to do advanced stuff to eek in an extra 100k, but I was trying to list a team that was really easy to pick up and play.

cednym

Banned
Here's as close as I can get to making a dream roster for a potential Marvel-based game while preserving all of the UMvC3 characters. Ideally, I'd like to cut a few of those guys for redundancy reasons (Mr. Fantastic instead of Super-Skrull), but whatever. Most people want the veterans to come back.

FX2MS.png

(I'm sorry about the terrible action figure cut-outs.)

Here's how I vaguely imagine the newcomers:

• Daredevil - Speed type; fights primarily with his clubs, similar to Birdie
  • Punisher - Standard type; Marvel's version of Chris
  • Moon Knight - Standard type; a jack of all trades who can utilize a variety of weapons or fight up close using expert martial arts, similar to Batman
  • Green Goblin - Technical type; for the most part, picture Marvel's answer to Firebrand, swooping around on his glider and throwing pumpkin bombs
  • Doctor Octopus - Power type; a heavy, lumbering grappler who strikes at the opponent with his tentacles
  • Loki - Technical type; besides standard fare magic techniques, his defining characteristic is the ability to cast illusions of himself to confuse the opponent
  • Black Panther - Speed type; fights up close using unorthodox African fighting techniques, using a sword or staff as a special move
  • Mandarin - Technical type; he can fight using ancient martial arts in the vein of Gen, and he can use the rings on his fingers to cast a number of spells
  • Red Skull - Standard type; carries a pistol, holds out the Cosmic Cube for a number of different special moves, and uses the infamous Dust of Death as a level 3 hyper combo
  • Black Widow - Speed type; think Jill meets Cammy meets C. Viper
  • Blade - Speed type; primarily a katana user combining qualities of Vergil and Karas, but he uses other weapons as well
  • Howard the Duck - Speed type; a small, agile kung fu master with over the top animations, with a play style inspired partly by Polimar and Rufus

Dahbomb

RayRay vs Fanatiq Post-Match Analysis

Like I said a long time before the match took place (like weeks in advance), my heart says RayRay is going to win but my theory fighter brain says Fanatiq is going to win. What that basically meant that I WANTED RayRay to win based on his style, execution and level of tech that he possessed plus the general talent he brings to the table. But my theory fighter brain put other qualities above them and those were experience, nerves and fundamentals.

Big money matches have a whole extra level of meta game to it which is the general psychology of a long set. 2 loses that involved mostly data collection could be the difference between a win and a lose. You are able to find more kinks in someone's armor in a long set and those who find those kinks start hacking away at them. Fanatiq found the kink in RayRay and that was his overzealous use of mobility options. RayRay is known for his godly mobility and spacing with both Magneto and Sentinel but this comes at a cost and that is that whenever he is doing an air dash Magnetic Blast without properly placing a Blast or properly placing a j.M/j.H Sentinel air normal he is vulnerable to air throws. Fanatiq picked up on this tendency and pulled out numerous clutch wins. About 7 games into the set it was anyone's game and it was clear at that point they were evenly matched on a skill level. The difference was that because Fanatiq had downloaded RayRay more than RayRay had downloaded Fanatiq, he was able to pull off more clutch wins which hit on RayRay's match psychology. Fanatiq was also completing more combos than RayRay equating to more characters dead and more morale in his favor. I also feel that RayRay might have felt the pressure of the crowd and got the hype plus initial wins get to him.

The match might have been a blow out on paper but so much stuff happened in the game that pleased me greatly. The superb match up knowledge that both players had on each other's Magneto and Sentinel was a treat to watch as they were fighting for every inch of real estate on that screen, fighting for every pixel and reacting to every movement and set up. The difference ended up being the synergy of the teams and the lack of match up knowledge on the two secondary characters on the team: Ryu and Storm. Fanatiq clearly had not played a Ryu of this caliber and underestimated Ryu's mix up and footsie capabilities. He was trying to play footsies with Ryu and got happy birthday'd by him WAY too many times showing a lack of respect for the character. Finally Fanatiq gave the character the respect he deserved and even on a few occasions X factor killed him to get the incoming mix up on Magneto and these combos he clearly had practiced before as they did just the right damage of 1 million to finish off Ryu. RayRay also lacked respect for Storm and underestimated her general speed, she was zipping around Sentinel like a fly always getting underneath him to either scoop him or mix him up ... same for his Magneto and even Ryu. If there was one character in Fanatiq's team that made the difference it was Storm for sure. She did a shit ton of work, from pulling clutch wins, to maintaining life leads to punishing assists for a massive lead. In a battle of attrition, Storm ended up being a valuable partner.

I also felt that because RayRay had Magneto 2nd a lot of the times he didn't get to play Magneto because he died to a brutal incoming mix up. Fanatiq always got to play his Magneto and got to set the tone of the match. Ryu did a lot of work but Magneto failed to pull through when his team needed him the most. RayRay also relied too much on his anchor Sentinel and saved XF for him rather than burning it on Magneto. Fanatiq had the match up against Sentinel down pat, he didn't fall into any of his gimmicks or mix ups but instead RayRay fell against Fanatiq's Sentinel more than a couple times despite having a big advantage early on. RayRay had great offensive tech but his defense was lacking which was another aspect of RayRay's overall play that Fanatiq capitalized off of. Both his air throw game and general blocking was not up to par with Fanatiq's which ended up making the difference alongside key match up inexperience against Storm. Another difference in the two was like I mentioned earlier was combo completion. Although RayRay finished a majority of his combos with Ryu he missed quite a few Magneto combos possibly going for the most damaging combo when a lesser, easier combo would've sufficed. Fanatiq almost always went for just as much damage he needed for the easiest combo possible (a lot of the times with Storm he just did launcher, j.H, j.S Hailstorm to finish off a character).

Overall the match was played impeccably by both players as they truly proved they were near masters of their characters and teams. I enjoyed watching these masters at work and IMO the score difference is much larger than it should've been as RayRay truly dropped at least 5-6 easily won matches. But clutch play is clutch play and hats off to Fanatiq for an impressively solid showing both in fundamentals and technical execution. I really hope that RayRay doesn't quit and recovers from this crushing loss as he has immense potential to push this game even further than he already has. He is a tech wizard but with more match experience he can be a more complete player.

TL:DR version:

*Their Magneto and Sentinels were generally equally matched but Fanatiq was able to use Magneto + Drones more often because RayRay had Magneto 2nd which meant he usually died to incoming mix ups
*RayRay underestimated Storm and lost a lot of matches to her. Match up inexperience was showing. Probably the biggest match decider in the set in terms of character vs character meta game is concerned.
*Fanatiq underestimated Ryu and lost a few matches because of it. He adjusted by using X factor to kill Ryu or burned just enough meter to end him plus he respected the character more in terms of not messing with his normals or aerial Tatsu. His initial 2 losses were there to download RayRay's Ryu tech although RayRay still had more tricks up his sleeves
*Nerves got to RayRay due to getting himself hyped up by 2 early wins, huge crowd backing him up and his eventual dismantling
*Combo completion was a major factor in the match psychology, Fanatiq clearly edged out RayRay here
*RayRay's overuse of mobility options got him air thrown a lot. He started being more cautious late into the set but he was clearly playing outside of his comfort zone
*Fanatiq had better defense than RayRay which allowed him to stay alive and clutch out wins. Fanatiq did exactly what he said he was which was he won on fundamentals.

Grecco

Wesker/Vergil/Magneto?

I know that feel. Basically you have to be able to TK and Super jump cancel ALOT with Spencer. Overall hes easy but you need that on point. I still fuck up my inputs with Spencer and ive considered dropping him multiple times.

Just thought I would throw my hand at this. A list of synergy kings. These are characters that thrown on a team automatically creates synergy. AKA the whores of the game.

One True King
Dante- Goes with everybody, goes every position, yeah, adds synergy anywhere.

The Seven Kings
Ammy- Cold stars, two great DHCs, GREAT anchor, good point character.. arf arf.
Doom- ALL FALL BENEATH DOOM. Has two good assists, great DHC out and easy DHC to finish people off but only alright point.
Akuma- I think we all know why. YOU ARE BENEATH ME!
Strider- Vajira, orbs, insane mix ups..... I think we all understand the scarf wielding techno ninja
Magneto- I AM THE LEADER OF THE BROTHERHOOD, MASTER OF MAGNETISM, disruptor, shockwave, tempest, anchor potential, any more?
Taskmaster- Solid point, great assist, good DHC, WHERE IS MY CASH?
Hawkeye- Makes any team better. Great DHC into/out, good point. Good assist

The Lesser Kings
Vergil
IM
Strange
RR
Storm
Sent

Yeah all I got at the moment.

Onemic

I know that feel. Basically you have to be able to TK and Super jump cancel ALOT with Spencer. Overall hes easy but you need that on point. I still fuck up my inputs with Spencer and ive considered dropping him multiple times.

Ya, the one thing I hate most of all is practicing for hours on end and feeling as if you're not making any progress. I feel that with Spencer. Mag is hard, but When I practice with him I feel as if I'm getting a better hang of his combos every time.

Alright gonna try to analyze objectively the characters that Mahvel could add in each of the categories.

Power: Cage(blah), Thanos, Hank Pym(movie incoming), Namor(really big player in AvX), Colossus, Thing
Pixie/Quick: Black Widow, Black Panther, Wasp, Daredevil, Mr. Fantastic, Carnage, Quicksilver
Balance: Gambit(new solo comic), Cyke, Ms. Marvel, Quasar, Human Torch, Ultron
Technical: Rogue, Emma, Scarlet Witch

This is all I have for now. But also hope they inject some new blood in the game in the form of some of the newer X-Men or Academy kids. And of course a non humanoid...... Man-Thing could be it, but unsure.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
My point still stands. TVC doesn't count because something something the wii is similar to the arcade thing they used something something pr bullshit.

Azure J

It's just a joke. I'm salty because I want to play Skyward Sword but I'm not buying a console for one game.

Oh ok, though I gotta admit, it's funny that you say this when I mostly bought my 360 to play Marvel. :p

Gonna grab some other things for it when I get the chance though.

mr. puppy

Banned
nice writeup dahbomb.

i was most impressed by how useless rayrays sent was against fanatiq, which is weird b/c the character does really well for him against east coast players. probably comes from all the practicing against knives.

Dahbomb

nice writeup dahbomb.

i was most impressed by how useless rayrays sent was against fanatiq, which is weird b/c the character does really well for him against east coast players. probably comes from all the practicing against knives.
Yes I noticed this too and it showed the match up experience that Fanatiq had on Sentinel. RayRay's mix ups and footsies didn't phase Fanatiq at all where as most other players would get bopped by something.

I dunno, I never really saw Spencer as an easy mode character. A mediocre Spencer can overwhelm mediocre players sure, but using his bnbs aren't too easy for beginners. I've always liked Ryu/Wesker/Hawkeye aka Chris G's old team as a decent beginner team. Ryu's easy to understand, Wesker has the easy combos and the OTG assist to teach that, Hawkeye teaches zoning/using his assist for mixups or getting in. Taskmaster, Wolverine, Akuma, and Sentinel are also good candidates for easy to learn characters. The old easy team of Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma is still really effective today too.
Spencer is, and always has been, one of the most brainless characters in the game. How else can you think of a character that gets in for free with frame advantage by pushing two buttons?

Here's as close as I can get to making a dream roster for a potential Marvel-based game while preserving all of the UMvC3 characters. Ideally, I'd like to cut a few of those guys for redundancy reasons (Mr. Fantastic instead of Super-Skrull), but whatever. Most people want the veterans to come back.

FX2MS.png

(I'm sorry about the terrible action figure cut-outs.)

Here's how I vaguely imagine the newcomers:

• Daredevil - Speed type; fights primarily with his clubs, similar to Birdie
  • Punisher - Standard type; Marvel's version of Chris
  • Moon Knight - Standard type; a jack of all trades who can utilize a variety of weapons or fight up close using expert martial arts, similar to Batman
  • Green Goblin - Technical type; for the most part, picture Marvel's answer to Firebrand, swooping around on his glider and throwing pumpkin bombs
  • Doctor Octopus - Power type; a heavy, lumbering grappler who strikes at the opponent with his tentacles
  • Loki - Technical type; besides standard fare magic techniques, his defining characteristic is the ability to cast illusions of himself to confuse the opponent
  • Black Panther - Speed type; fights up close using unorthodox African fighting techniques, using a sword or staff as a special move
  • Mandarin - Technical type; he can fight using ancient martial arts in the vein of Gen, and he can use the rings on his fingers to cast a number of spells
  • Red Skull - Standard type; carries a pistol, holds out the Cosmic Cube for a number of different special moves, and uses the infamous Dust of Death as a level 3 hyper combo
  • Black Widow - Speed type; think Jill meets Cammy meets C. Viper
  • Blade - Speed type; primarily a katana user combining qualities of Vergil and Karas, but he uses other weapons as well
  • Howard the Duck - Speed type; a small, agile kung fu master with over the top animations, with a play style inspired partly by Polimar and Rufus
I like the action figures. None of the new characters interest me, but I'd still buy it for Dormammu and good gameplay. No Dormammu, and I'm unlikely to purchase it.

Just thought I would throw my hand at this. A list of synergy kings. These are characters that thrown on a team automatically creates synergy. AKA the whores of the game.

One True King
Dante- Goes with everybody, goes every position, yeah, adds synergy anywhere.

The Seven Kings
Ammy- Cold stars, two great DHCs, GREAT anchor, good point character.. arf arf.
Doom- ALL FALL BENEATH DOOM. Has two good assists, great DHC out and easy DHC to finish people off but only alright point.
Akuma- I think we all know why. YOU ARE BENEATH ME!
Strider- Vajira, orbs, insane mix ups..... I think we all understand the scarf wielding techno ninja
Magneto- I AM THE LEADER OF THE BROTHERHOOD, MASTER OF MAGNETISM, disruptor, shockwave, tempest, anchor potential, any more?
Taskmaster- Solid point, great assist, good DHC, WHERE IS MY CASH?
Hawkeye- Makes any team better. Great DHC into/out, good point. Good assist

The Lesser Kings
Vergil
IM
Strange
RR
Storm
Sent

Yeah all I got at the moment.
I don't think Storm deserves to be there. Unlike the other choices, her assists are pretty weak.

Oh ok, though I gotta admit, it's funny that you say this when I mostly bought my 360 to play Marvel. :p

Gonna grab some other things for it when I get the chance though.
I got my PS3 for Marvel, with the bonuses being The Last Guardian (FML) and Valkyria Chronicles.

I would edit that out Kadey, that's a bannable offense.
Your avatar is weird now.

I would edit that out Kadey, that's a bannable offense.

? Unless she was telling him to torrent those games and I didn't get to see it, not really. I mean, there's a thread dedicated to Wii emulation after all.

And yeah, what's up with your avatar's colors?

I originally got a 360 just because of SNK games. True story.

Yeah, Storm's THC potential is pretty good, it's both full screen and OTGs, there's not a single character that doesn't get helped by that (or if there is I can't think of it).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
? Unless she was telling him to torrent those games and I didn't get to see it, not really. I mean, there's a thread dedicated to Wii emulation after all.

And yeah, what's up with your avatar's colors?
Well it implies not buying a console in order to play a game, which kind of implies not buying the disc (license) either which makes it legal.

Just giving the heads up because these are grey matters and mods are pretty unforgiving. Not usually worth taking the risk.

And yeah it's supposed to be Mag-fuckin-neto. Made it for the RayRay/Fanatiq MM yesterday :D

Storm though has a really great DHC in hail storm that also can function with THC shenanigans.

Only reason I put her there.
I understand, it's just that every other character on that list has a good DHC and has great assists, and while her DHC is top tier, I don't think it's enough to make up for her lack of a good assist, which is why she doesn't get used often.

It's just a joke. I'm salty because I want to play Skyward Sword but I'm not buying a console for one game.
Plus Monster Hunter.

cednym

Banned
I like the action figures. None of the new characters interest me, but I'd still buy it for Dormammu and good gameplay. No Dormammu, and I'm unlikely to purchase it.
Would Mephisto interest you? I know that you like Dormammu, Morrigan, and Firebrand, and Mephisto fits in with those three perfectly. He's easily the most referenced character in the series' history to not be made playable.

He really stands out to me as a character that Capcom might like to include, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to differentiate him enough from Dormammu.

Dahbomb

For those who are looking to watch the money match, check this archive (http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/320927014) and the match starts around the 3:57:00 mark.

Also someone on SRK came up with a statistical breakdown of the RayRay vs Fanatiq match:

Note:
For drops I also count all 3 Sentinel Drones hitting and the point character goes in for the combo, but can't convert it.
I also count any obvious throw -> converts that fail. (Usually all Magneto Throws, Storms/Sentinel depending on spacing. But never Ryu unless he goes for TK Hadouken but fails)

I'm also only counting drops, such as missing the (S) after an aerial series... or obvious input errors, such as Magnetic Tempest when airdashing backwards in the air.
Not people failing to convert ADDF L with magneto into a full combo, because they didn't expect it to hit.

I'm also not counting bad choices that lead to a character to get hit. That's the player's fault.

Note:
Kills don't 100% reflect the situation. Such as:
- DHC making another character claim the kill.
- XF Running out, so it looks like a non-XF kill.
- A Happy Birthday, but the assist drops. So when the point dies lots of red life is lost

Note:
I used Magnegro/Beyonzo/Sentijamal for Fanatiq's team because I didn't want to separate Magneto/Sentinel with F/R every single time.
And I have no idea if I spelled those three correctly or not.

==========================

Totals:

Magnegro Kills: 15
Beyonzo Kills: 24
Sentijamal Kills: 10
Happy Birthdays: 2
Time Outs: 1
Perfects: 1
Fanatiq Drops: 26

Ryu Kills: 16
Magneto Kills: 8
Sentinel Kills: 10
Happy Birthdays 3
Ray Ray Drops: 10

==========================

Specific Games:

Game 1
Ryu Happy Birthdays Magnegro/Sentijamal
XF3 Beyonzo Kills Sentinel
Beyonzo Kills Ryu-Assist
Magneto Kills Beyonzo

Score: 1-0 Rayray
Drops/Input Errors this match: (Not counting Missed Confirmed)
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 2

-------------------

Game 2
Ryu Kills Magnegro
Magneto Kills Beyonzo
Magneto Kills Sentijamal

Score: 2-0 Rayray
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 3

-------------------

Game 3
Magnegro Kills Ryu
XF2 Maneto Kills Sentijamal-Assist
XF2 Maneto Kills Magnegro
Beyonzo Kills Magneto
Beyonzo Times Out Sentinel

Score: 2-1 Rayray
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 0

Note: If RayRay had the presence of mind to Confirm Hard Drive after the Rocket Punch hit, he could have had this.

-------------------

Game 4
Magnegro Kills Ryu
Beyonzo Kills Magneto
Sentinel Kills Magnegro
Beyonzo Kills Sentinel

Score: 2-2 Tied
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 5
Magnegro Kills Ryu
Magnegro Kills Magneto
XF3 Sentinel Kills Magnegro
Sentijamal Kills Sentinel

Score: 3-2 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 0
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 6
Magnegro-Assist Kills Ryu
Magnegro Kills Magneto
Sentinel Kills Magneto
Beyonzo Kills Sentinel

Score: 4-2 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 0 (Might have dropped the Magneto Combo after throwing Sentinel... but may have tried a reset because of scaled throw damage. IDK)
Ray Ray 1

-------------------

Game 7
XF1 Ryu kills Magnegro
Ryu kills Beyonzo
XF3 Sentijamal kills Ryu
XF3 Sentijamal kills Magneto
XF3 Sentijamal kills Sentinel

Score: 5-2 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 1
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 8
XF1 Sentijamal-Assist Kills Ryu
XF2 Magneto Kills Magnegro
Sentinel Kills Sentijamal
Beyonzo kills Magneto
Beyonzo Kills Sentinel

Score: 6-2 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 1
Ray Ray 1

-------------------

Game 9
XF1 Ryu Happy Birthday Magnegro/Sentijamal
XF3 Beyonzo Kills Sentinel-Assist
XF3 Beyonzo Kills Ryu
Beyonzo Kills Magneto

Score: 7-2 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 10
Magnegro Kills Magneto
Beyonzo Kills Ryu
XF3 Sentiel Kills Beyonzo
XF2 Magnegro Kills Sentinel

Score: 8-2 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 3
Ray Ray 0

(Note: small break here. Some coaching and such, commentators getting salty)

-------------------

Game 11
Sentijamal-Assist kills Magneto
Ryu kills Magnegro
Ryu Kills Sentijamal
Ryu kills Beyonzo

Score: 8-3 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 12
Magnegro-Assist kills Ryu
Magneto kills Beyonzo
Magnegro kills Magneto
Sentinel Kills Magnegro
Sentijamal kills Sentinel

Score: 9-3 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 0
Ray Ray 0 (Yes, that Sentinel Air-Throw -> RocketPunch wasn't a drop, it was just a bad choice because of the spacing)

-------------------

Game 13
Magnegro kills Sentinel
Beyonzo kills Magneto
XF3 Ryu kills Magnegro
XF3 Ryu kills Beyonzo
Sentijamal Kills Ryu

Score: 10-3 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 3
Ray Ray 0 (Again, Shinku-Hadouken when Sentinel was in a blind spot wasn't a drop/error... just a bad choice.)

-------------------

Game 14
Beyonzo Happy Birthdays Magneto/Ryu
XF1 Magneto kills Sentinel
PERFECT

Score: 11-3 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 1
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 15
XF1 Ryu Happy Birthdays Magnegro/Sentijamal
Magneto-Assist Kills Beyonzo

Score: 11-4 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 1
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 16
Ryu kills Magnegro
Sentijamal kills Ryu
XF2 Beyonzo kills Magneto
Beyonzo Kills Sentinel

Score: 12-4 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 1
Ray Ray 1

-------------------

Game 17
Ryu kills Magnegro
XF2 Sentijamal kills Ryu
Beyonzo kills Sentinel (Really bad choice to stick out limbs with a pocket Hailstorm)
Beyonzo kills Magneto

Score: 13-4 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 0 (Combo looked like a reset, since 0 bar storm wasn't going to kill Magneto)
Ray Ray 2

-------------------

Game 18
Magnegro kills Ryu
Magnegro kills Magneto
XF3 Sentinel Kills Sentijamal-Assist
XF2 Beyonzo Kills Sentinel

Score: 14-4 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 1
Ray Ray 0

Note: Match Point after this match. Yipes is super salty.

-------------------

Game 19
Beyonzo kills Ryu
XF1 Beyonzo kills Magneto
XF3 Sentinel Kills Sentijamal
XF3 Sentinel Kills Beyonzo
XF3 Sentinel Kills Magnegro

Score: 14-5 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 0
Ray Ray 0

-------------------

Game 20
Magnegro Kills Ryu
XF2 Beyonzo Happy Birthdays Magneto/Sentinel

Score: 15-5 Fanatiq
Fanatiq 2
Ray Ray 0

Really surprised to see that Fanatiq actually dropped more combos. This means that he was getting way more hit confirms than RayRay and completed the combos that mattered.

No surprise that both player's secondary characters of Ryu and Storm did the most work. Storm had the most kills out of all 6 characters.

And Viscant drops his thoughts on the MM:

There's not much to say. I was telling people beforehand that Fanatiq was going to lose a few early and that Rayray would look strong early but Fanatiq was going to run him late. That's pretty much what happened except in exaggerated form.

Basically Rayray won the first 3. He got the first 2 and the 3rd game was a shaky win for Fanatiq that he didn't earn. Fanatiq's edge in the match was the fact that he had a 3 character team and Rayray didn't. Fanatiq said that he didn't respect his Sentinel and he backed up his talk. This allowed Fanatiq to use early x-factor and extend combos/get guaranteed kills and Rayray couldn't do that since Fanatiq was capable of making 1 on 3 comebacks with all of his characters especially Storm.

It seemed to me that Rayray either didn't understand Storm due to no matchup experience or just didn't respect Fanatiq's Storm because he just kept leaving openings. Like when you have XF3 Storm, do not call assists. Ever. Under no circumstance. Just forget you have assist buttons. Even if you think you're baiting hail and are going to super through, it's not worth it. Also when it came down to Storm solo vs. Rayray's Sentinel or Magneto, Rayray should probably win that. Yeah I know Storm is a better character than Sentinel but she has to be right twice due to low damage and you only have to be right once and you can make her scared to trijump on you. Yet over and over Fanatiq would get underneath Sentinel and then force an airthrow/CH mixup. Leaving out the fact that Rayray wasn't teching air throws, you don't have to accept that mixup. If Sentinel stayed closer to the ground he wouldn't get dashed under like that.

It's one of those "long set" things that Fanatiq is really good at picking up on. He did dash under in a couple of the early games and found out that it worked and waited for an appropriate response, except the response never came. Fanatiq made adjustments to Rayray's early offense by respecting Ryu and staying out of his way and using his x-factor early to stop any threats, just Rayray didn't adjust back to Fanatiq's Storm and also didn't make an adjustment to kill Sentinel early even though he had his chances. He also might have wanted to take a couple games and switch his order up and try Magneto/Ryu/Sentinel order just to throw his rhythm off. These are things you do in a long set, even if it isn't technically a +EV decision you do it because it might make the other guy play worse.

I don't think this proved anything as far as who has the better Magneto, it just proved who was the better player. Fanatiq clutched up and stole games from Rayray, I think the only game Rayray stole was after the match was decided. And as someone pointed out to me, if this was a tournament Rayray would have won 2-0 and it would have looked super free. We need to get rid of 2 out of 3 Marvel for good.

--Jay Snyder

Good post by Viscant, and thank for the link DB.

Would Mephisto interest you? I know that you like Dormammu, Morrigan, and Firebrand, and Mephisto fits in with those three perfectly. He's easily the most referenced character in the series' history to not be made playable.

He really stands out to me as a character that Capcom might like to include, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to differentiate him enough from Dormammu.
Oh yeah, I'm all about Mephisto. It might seem like I just love demons (which I do), but I really just love characters that do everything through their natural prowess. No tools. Hence Chris is probably the most unattractive character in this game to me, but I love Shuma-Gorath, Dormammu, Morrigan, and Firebrand. Dr. Strange is kind of in a middle section because he's technically using artifacts as I understand it, but they only work because he's so talented with magic. Dr. Doom is just past where I find the distinction enjoyable - too techy for my tastes. It might seem like I just love villains (and I do!), but the fact is that its always villains who tend to have natural power, while heroes tend to have lots of tools to overcome their natural weakness, so the player can sympathize with their perspective. That's why I'd love to have Rathalos and Nina in this game - one which is amoral, and the other a good guy, but has only natural power.

Pre-UMvC3 release, I thought Lupinko was hinting toward Mephisto instead of Firebrand, and I was pretty hyped (all the clues lined up).

You can see how he was made up in Marvel Ultimate Alliance here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1Wy5PRtIU

Not the most creative, but I think it shows how he could be his own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom