• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spencer is, and always has been, one of the most brainless characters in the game. How else can you think of a character that gets in for free with frame advantage by pushing two buttons?
Dormammu can jab him out of the ground one on block at any range. Air one is the problem if he's using it from mid range.

Play it on the Dolphin. I plan on doing the same with Xenoblade and The Last Story when I get a chance.

I really don't want to go any more off topic with how distasteful I find hardware piracy.

I watched the MM - good stuff, some hype moments. My favorites were the perfect (best perfect screen ever), and the Sentinel alpha counter.

Sure, but it's actually -3 on block, -2 on hit.
It depends where he's coming from; why do you think -3 gives enough time for Dormammu to hit with a 6 frame move?

I watched the MM - good stuff, some hype moments. My favorites were the perfect (best perfect screen ever), and the Sentinel alpha counter.

It depends where he's coming from; why do you think -3 gives enough time for Dormammu to hit with a 6 frame move?

Oh, I just meant you can stop him from mixing you up by jabbing.

Azure J

You know what the coolest thing in the world is playing Dante? Using Twister/Tempest to cover a simultaneous assist call. I can't tell you how much I love this especially after messing around with concept anti-Morrigan stuff. I'm trying to use it as a regular "gimmick" in situations now.

Anth0ny

F Champ has the best Magneto. Anyone see that FT10 set between Fanatiq and F Champ on FGTV? Fanatiq got destroyed, and was totally crushed after his defeat, admitting that Champ is simply the better player.

I take it back.

I take it all back.

Magnegro is GOD.

Azure J

Just wanted to point out that champs doom anchor did absolutely nothing the entire tournament

Thing is, he wasn't an intentional anchor. Every time he's had him there was usually because he had someone else on point that got bopped faster than he could readjust for.

@Karst: There was some brilliant stuff F.Champ used and a lucky call in the last match with Purification/1D2Cs to stuff a Dark Harmonizer call and take it over Chris G. Really, I have a hard time not recommending a watch even if the characters played aren't what you want to see or the event's match ups didn't go the dream match way.

Sounds fantastic! Was that top 8? Anyone have a link to that part of the stream? I'll start watching now. 2/3 of my characters getting used in a match sounds lovely.
Who uses Firebrand besides Bennet? Haha.

Also, damn @ 16,000 viewers.

Edit: And did we get to see ChrisG's new combo/throw kill for Morrigan?

Dahbomb

Just wanted to point out that champs doom anchor did absolutely nothing the entire tournament
He used Hidden Missiles. So basically he dictated the pace of numerous matches in the tournament.

Tournament was godlike, people should really catch up with the archives once they get a chance. Some really unreal matches went down in top 16 today.

Was there any great Dormammu play in the tournament for me to go back through? Who beat ChrisG?
Yeah FChamp busted it out against a few players especially MarlinPie and ChrisG taking the sets rather convincingly. He played the character incredibly well.

Combofiend and FChamp beat ChrisG.

Chavelo

I... did not know that. I understand. I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND NOW. MY EYES ARE OPEN. THIS GAME... I SEE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME. I HAVE BEEN AWAKED.

Also, here's a cookie for your troubles! :D

cookie.gif

I watched the F. Champ vs. ChrisG matches, and I really think people are mistaken. This is just like the Morrigan situation: everyone says "omg Dormammu", but it's really "omg Hidden Missiles". This is just what it's like when you run Dormammu/Hidden Missiles. The zoning becomes insane as the skies are filled with projectiles. I say that as someone who ran Dormammu/Hidden Missiles for about 1000 matches in Vanilla. Just like Morrigan, he simply doesn't get to be the boss like this if he's not backed by the missiles.

In no way do I mean to downplay Champ's skill, which is top tier and was shining in those matches. I just wish people would stop overlooking the commonality between these two teams that makes them destroy most others. It was definitely the smartest Liberation play we've seen thus far, though. This was really just what happens when two Hidden Missile teams collide, and one is more synergized than the other (did you notice how ChrisG had a hell of a time getting Missile calls off with EMD going off all the time?).

Anth0ny

He used Hidden Missiles. So basically he dictated the pace of numerous matches in the tournament.

Tournament was godlike, people should really catch up with the archives once they get a chance. Some really unreal matches went down in top 16 today.

Best Marvel 3 tournament yet? I'd say so. At least during Ultimate's lifetime. That top 16 was UNBELIEVABLE. East vs. West hype in full force.

Dahbomb

I watched the F. Champ vs. ChrisG matches, and I really think people are mistaken. This is just like the Morrigan situation: everyone says "omg Dormammu", but it's really "omg Hidden Missiles". This is just what it's like when you run Dormammu/Hidden Missiles. The zoning becomes insane as the skies are filled with projectiles. I say that as someone who ran Dormammu/Hidden Missiles for about 1000 matches in Vanilla. Just like Morrigan, he simply doesn't get to be the boss like this if he's not backed by the missiles.

In no way do I mean to downplay Champ's skill, which is top tier and was shining in those matches. I just wish people would stop overlooking the commonality between these two teams that makes them destroy most others. It was definitely the smartest Liberation play we've seen thus far, though. This was really just what happens when two Hidden Missile teams collide, and one is more synergized than the other (did you notice how ChrisG had a hell of a time getting Missile calls off with EMD going off all the time?).
Like I said before, Doom dictated the pace of the match in a lot of those top 16 matches. Hidden Missiles is too good and that match was basically a foreshadowing of how this game might end up playing like in the future (2 players backed up by Hidden Missiles and projectiles floating all over the place).

Best Marvel 3 tournament yet? I'd say so. At least during Ultimate's lifetime. That top 16 was UNBELIEVABLE. East vs. West hype in full force.
Final Round was pretty hype no doubt but it would've been more hype if it was 3/5. It's pretty sad that after a trio of amazing tournaments back to back that all ran 3/5 we are going to head into EVO with 2/3 matches. It's really a hype deflator for me.

smurfx

get some go again
i like how the west coast has to teach the east coast how to fight against morrigan/doom. i wonder if it would get figured out faster if chris g played at the runback every week. chris g has to learn from these losses or else he will find himself losing more matches. if anything this has taught him that he needs to level up his doom and akuma the most since they were doing a lot of heavy lifting after his morrigan got killed off.

Dahbomb

ChrisG has taken Doom and Akuma damn far already, at the last tournament Doom and Akuma did some SERIOUSLY work and they did so here as well. And he upgraded even from that tournament by playing a more rushdown style Morrigan. He is slowly cementing himself as the best and most complete Morrigan player there is.

And yeah West Coast, despite having almost non-existent experience against MorriDoom basically kept her in check in between Fanatiq, Combofiend and FChamp. Most likely Justin would've squeezed in some wins too.

Just got gone watching ChrisG vs. ComboFiend. Now there is the Morrigan counter for people to be praising.

Whooo! And I saw F. Champ vs. MarlinPie. That was some quality Dormammu+Hidden Missiles play. I had to laugh at how many times MarlinPie got hit by Purification in a row at one point - Hidden Missiles had to go up to hit him after its peak. I've never seen that beyond online play, lol. And Amaterasu dying because she dropped on a Flame Carpet was gold.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I really like the results of the tournament.

Combofiend is "back" so to speak. Probably his best showings since Ultimate dropped.

Fanatiq and Ray Ray showing that they are MAJOR threats. Not to say I thought they were bad before, but I think of them both much differently now than I did a few hours ago especially Ray Ray.

smurfx

get some go again
I really like the results of the tournament.

Combofiend is "back" so to speak. Probably his best showings since Ultimate dropped.

Fanatiq and Ray Ray showing that they are MAJOR threats. Not to say I thought they were bad before, but I think of them both much differently now than I did a few hours ago especially Ray Ray.
fanatiq would prefer you and everybody else go back to thinking he is some above average player who is good but won't ever be the best. if everybody thinks he is a top threat then he won't get as many money matches at locals and majors.

I also just realized that Storm has some of the worst screen control in the game. Ironic. She should get something like a lightning bolt that strikes down on an opponent in a thin line but has homing, kind of like a thinner Purification. Would give her a great assist...
And could replace Blackheart.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Because I'm bored and have little else to do, I might as well chip in with my own commentator rankings. Posting them here instead of the ECT thread since I only really watch Marvel most of the time. Order within tiers matters somewhat, though I could probably flip a few of them depending on the day.

S: Yipes, Ultradavid, Mr. Quotes, Noel Brown
A: Magus1234, Megaman Steve, Spooky, Ryan Hunter, Tasty Steve
B: Skisonic, S-kill, James Chen, Mike Ross
C: Justin Wong, Rush Hour
D: ETR

Some comments:

Pretty much everyone in S is capable of providing at least some level of both hype and insight in addition to pairing well with pretty much anyone else. Ultradavid isn't as familiar with the intricacies of the game as the others but he's at least pretty good when it comes to understanding the logic behind the choices made in a match and extrapolating from there.

I put Skisonic higher than most and actually like him on the mic. He obviously isn't that familiar with the game's details either but he's underappreciated when it comes to picking up on player tendencies and disecting/explaining them during a match. His hype is genuine and he's been around the block long enough to provide decent color commentary on the personalities involved in a lot of high-profile matches.

S-kill would be so much better if it didn't feel like he was constantly stretching his words thin just to fill air. He's the king of talking without saying anything and comes off like a lesser Ultradavid in the process more often than not imo.

Justin is a smart guy but the entire body of his fighting game commentary basically consists of "Why didn't he do _____?" repeated over 9000 times. Noel Brown pulls off this style better because he usually takes the extra step to actually explain the strategic decisions involved.

Rush Hour is good when it comes to filling dead air during pool/preliminary/local play because they're hilarious and low-level matches aren't serious enough to really demand anything more than that. They obviously aren't really into Marvel and don't know much at all about it so they're not really suited for more than that.

Fewer commentators speak from a position of ignorance more frequently than ETR while also showing no interest in changing this. How many times are you going to ramble on about Firebrand being the worst character in the game before somebody clues you into months-old unblockable tech that every serious player under the sun has seen, or you bother to watch one single Marvisto/Bennet match? And that's just the first example that popped to mind out of several that could be used.

The only thing that really bothers me on commentary, though, is trashing the game or the players involved, and nobody listed above really does that, so I don't think any of them really deserve too much bitching. Sometimes you forget how much worse it could be and that you're not really entitled to professional quality from a free video game stream.

smurfx

get some go again
yipes is good but i sometimes feel he is trying too hard to come up with the next memorable quote. like a parody of himself in older videos. this also plagues many other streams as people are trying their hardest to be like yipes.

a3den

Sixfortyfive got it right when it comes to Marvel IMO. I agree Gems Chen is B-tier, he's not particularly good and you have to get him off the mic when there's a cammy player cause it's QQ time (not a Marvel problem, but still he's ass). I like Justin but he's a lot nicer to listen when it's AE rather than UMVC3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can anyone single out a hands down "best" player after this weekend?

I like this group of the elite, with others trying to claw they're way to the top. Makes play so entertaining. I get this feeling everyone is hungry again.

So stoked for EVO.

Chavelo

I like this group of the elite, with others trying to claw they're way to the top. Makes play so entertaining. I get this feeling everyone is hungry again.

So stoked for EVO.

Not even lying... gonna wake up at 7:00 AM and get to the ballroom as early as possible to get the best seats possible for the EVO finals on Sunday. MY BODY IS READY.

Dahbomb

S: Yipes, Ultradavid, Mr. Quotes, Noel Brown
A: Magus1234, Megaman Steve, Spooky, Ryan Hunter, Tasty Steve
B: Skisonic, S-kill, James Chen, Mike Ross
C: Justin Wong, Rush Hour
D: ETR
Not bad at all and thank god someone finally recognized Magus as A tier.

S-Kill B tier is probably the only thing I would disagree with just that he has an edge overall everyone in terms of insight game knowledge so he is always sharing stuff about the game you might not know. His ability to pick up on player tendencies and playstyle is also quite stellar.

So stoked for EVO.
Like I said in the thread any of those top 8 contestants could've taken EVO plus players like PR Balrog still on the prowl. Fanatiq was the best player on that day for sure but overall best is too difficult to say right now as there are too many variables.

Everyone was definitely very hungry at ECT and the pot bonus, 3/5 and WC presence helped a lot. EC gets a wake up call again, I think EC has been getting too overconfident winning regional tournaments with very few WC representation. EVO is closer to being a WC tournament and I can't help but feel that WC players will have the edge on that turf. I still say FChamp could win EVO this year, he is so hungry for Marvel he might collapse from hypoglycemia.

It's unfortunate to say that I am NOT too terribly hyped for EVO because it's not 2/3. That means the level of play is not going to be as high and people will rely on the "cheap" stuff rather than on the depth of their strategies or their fundamentals and ability to make reads. The strength of the meta game shot up dramatically after ECT but I feel like it's going to go 2 steps back with EVO. One can only hope that they at least make top 16/top 8 3/5 and the top players make it out of pools.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

So stoked for EVO.

Yeah before this tournament a lot of people would say Chris G is arguably the best right now. And I definitely thought he had the best chance of winning at the time.

Now I'm not so sure and I like that.

Dahbomb

I have FChamp as the most likely candidate to win EVO. The only thing holding him back is that in a 2/3 format he is going to be unsure about which team to use (Phoenix or Dorm) without much match data. I think at ECT he got a feeling of which teams to use against which players most importantly he knows for sure that he will be using Dorm against MarlinPie and ChrisG. He's going to approach EVO like Viscant did last year, have a team set up for particular players.

He's a complete player like ChrisG at this point. Godlike tech, execution, fundamentals, defense, offense and knowledge in Marvel.

But I would never bet against Justin "Marvelous" Wong....

I honestly think F. Champ would do a lot better if he dropped Phoenix. She just wasn't putting in work for him like the other team was. There are too many Phoenix counters out there right now. Maybe if Capcom fixed the TAC glitches she would be more viable.

Uncle AJ

Top 8 players in the world right now IMO:

• EG Justin Wong
  • AGE Fanatiq
  • FC Chris G
  • BT Viscant
  • DMG PR Balrog
  • AG MarlinPie
  • Col.CC Combofiend
  • AgeoJoe

Runners-Up:

• Col.CC Filipino Champ