• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

You're all wrong, we're going to see the rise of Nova as an amazing character that slaughters the competition.

:).

....I can dream, can't I?

I'd love to see something like that happen, though, be it Nova or another character.

There's no download link for Wakeup SRK anymore, is there? Twitch doesn't work for me.

Lots of fighting game developers are guaranteed to be at EVO. Haruda mentioned last year how he hoped to be able to come to the next EVO not for business but to play in the event. I think it was also mentioned somewhere that Capcom couldn't get the rights to Spiderman villains for MvC3.

They were working on Doc Ock but couldn't get him to work properly from a technical standpoint.

PR Rog is top 10 for sure, dude has played some outright crummy teams and slaughtered. He's on dat first 15 episodes of Bleach status Ichigo. When he plays teams with more synergy and unlocks more spiritual pressure, he's a nightmare. Champ is my pick right. Now though. Two teams and a way to fare decently against morridoom.

All that remains is the great unknown, but this is marvel....

My picks for winning:

1)Champ
2)JWong
3)PR Rog
4)ChrisG (if he gets that motivation under control)

PR Rog is top 10 for sure, dude has played some outright crummy teams and slaughtered. He's on dat first 15 episodes of Bleach status Ichigo. When he plays teams with more synergy and unlocks more spiritual pressure, he's a nightmare. Champ is my pick right. Now though. Two teams and a way to fare decently against morridoom.

All that remains is the great unknown, but this marvel....

Unknown for top 8 Marvel at EVO heard it here first.
Kappa

Uncle AJ

I'd like to see a poll & total vote counts for predictions on which player will take EVO grand finals, maybe the week before or the day before.

The fact that Viscant is learning new characters and putting together new teams specifically designed to counter MorriDoom tells me that Chris G won't be taking it, whereas a few weeks ago I considered him "the guy to beat" in Marvel.

My money is on Justin Wong - makes nothing but smart decisions, has the execution, and thrives in high pressure situations. If I had a secondary pick, honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see an unknown rise to the top. Viscant was relatively unknown last year before EVO; it's not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen again, especially since EVO is where players from all over the country gather and could possibly surprise EC and WC players with new tech.

cednym

Banned
They were working on Doc Ock but couldn't get him to work properly from a technical standpoint.
Right. I think Sven BSed a response about Spider-Man villains and confused everyone. In MvC3, you can play as Spider-Man and there are Spider-Man villain Heroes & Heralds cards. There isn't some magical "playable Spider-Man villains in fighting games" license that Capcom couldn't acquire.

Dahbomb

Oh I forgot to mention that Viscant said that in top 8 there will be 6 top known players and 2 unknown out of the blue players that people will go "what? who's that?"

I think Viscant knows that there are some actual killers out there in the game. Brightside was one of them, taking everyone by storm and RoachKiller is sort of similar. It's possible a hero could rise at EVO given the number of players entering there.

Grecco

Oh I forgot to mention that Viscant said that in top 8 there will be 6 top known players and 2 unknown out of the blue players that people will go "what? who's that?"

I think Viscant knows that there are some actual killers out there in the game. Brightside was one of them, taking everyone by storm and RoachKiller is sort of similar. It's possible a hero could rise at EVO given the number of players entering there.

Just look at last year Mine and X Ray were kinda unknown. (NCR non withstanding) they came from a small community in Sacramento iirc, and basically just play each other.

vg260

cednym

Banned
He said there were restrictions on Spider-Man characters being used in the game due to timing with the movie and associated properties, which I totally would believe.
That doesn't even make any sense, though. What restrictions could there possibly be? If they're legally allowed to include a playable Spider-Man and H&H villain cards, why wouldn't they be able to include a playable villain? Venom's in that new Avengers Kinect game, and I'm sure there will be a few Spider-Man villains in the Marvel Heroes MMORPG.

We know that Marvel turned down Capcom's request to include Venom because he's no longer relevant. We also know that both sides wanted to include Doctor Octopus, but Capcom ran into technical problems so he had to be scrapped. There's no indication that Spider-Man villains were legally out of bounds outside of Sven's vague passing comment.

EDIT: Looking at that link, I guess it's not so much a legal issue as Marvel just not wanting to focus on Spider-Man, which is understandable since they don't have full control over its movie rights and would rather push The Avengers. It's no coincidence that Hawkeye's dead center on the cover of this game.

vg260

That doesn't even make any sense, though. What restrictions could there possibly be? If they're legally allowed to include a playable Spider-Man and H&H villain cards, why wouldn't they be able to include a playable villain? Venom's in that new Avengers Kinect game, and I'm sure there will be a few Spider-Man villains in the Marvel Heroes MMORPG.

We know that Marvel turned down Capcom's request to include Venom because he's no longer relevant. We also know that both sides wanted to include Doctor Octopus, but Capcom ran into technical problems so he had to be scrapped. There's no indication that Spider-Man villains were legally out of bounds outside of Sven's vague passing comment.

EDIT: Looking at that link, I guess it's not so much a legal issue as Marvel just not wanting to focus on Spider-Man, which is understandable since they don't have full control over its movie rights and would rather push The Avengers. It's no coincidence that Hawkeye's dead center on the cover of this game.

Yeah, I don't think it's a legal thing, just a restriction based on Marvel agenda.

mr. puppy

Banned
Lots of fighting game developers are guaranteed to be at EVO. Haruda mentioned last year how he hoped to be able to come to the next EVO not for business but to play in the event. I think it was also mentioned somewhere that Capcom couldn't get the rights to Spiderman villains for MvC3.

what? didn't they have doctor ock modelled and everything but he took up too much ram or something?

ADChavelo and surprise entrant SmurfxZilla make it to top 8!

All I knows is you cats better go next year too so I can join in on the fun T_T

I want to make a Sinister GAF Six.

Yeah, at some point Capcom was designing Doc Ock, but for some sort of technical reason he had to be scrapped. Too complicated, looked terrible, etc, could've been anything. Better luck next decade.

I really wonder what it was. Style must've been coming from Omega Red if I had to guess.

LakeEarth

what? didn't they have doctor ock modelled and everything but he took up too much ram or something?

Yeah, at some point Capcom was designing Doc Ock, but for some sort of technical reason he had to be scrapped. Too complicated, looked terrible, etc, could've been anything. Better luck next decade.

I've still got a slot open in my hotel.

Any other year, I definitely would, but I finally acquired a FT big boy job, so EVO will only be a few weeks after my start and therefore, off the table. Sucks though because I lurve Vegas.

This essentially confirms me for Canada Cup pending unforeseen circumstances though.

Azure J

shadoclone pls

Somewhat related, I had a dream that I went to EVO this year and 4 of top 8 was GAF.

You guys must make the majority of this premonition happen, since I will not be there.

Real talk, I'd love to go to a major or even a weekly like Big Two just for the sake of screwing around and meeting new folks. Gotta work out some things but I'm determined to try this even once. GAF|AzureJ, we in there.

Nah, I live in the woods at home. So crappy internet that I can only play online after 1 central.

If Evo ends being 3/5 then that will be awesome.

MvC3 is steadily turning more like MvC2.

THANK YOU BASED VISCANT for putting people on blast who put Iron Man in bottom tier. He spend a good portion of the podcast defending IM and highlighting his strengths, justifying his spot as top 8 on a team. Stay godlike Jay...
Haha, but does Viscant actually know how to play Iron Man now?

Movie stuff:
I thought the first act was excellent, from the breathtaking cinematography and visuals, to the score, to the sci-fi theme of the origin of mankind, the atmosphere and the acting of some of the characters especially Fassbender as the Android on board. Everything leading up to the latter half of the movie was great but everything in the 2nd act was abysmal script wise.
Agreed so far.

Let's start with the scientists who don't act like scientists in the entire movie. The geologist who had no interest in rocks on an extraterrestrial planet and got lost in a cave DESPITE having 3D generated maps of the environment that are transferred to the ship's main control board. Or the biologist who does not know how to handle a clearly hostile new life form and attempts to pet it like some average joe or has no interest in a dead completely new life form.
All fair.

The android going around messing with alien doors despite being told not to was also really awkward and it culminated at the end with the whole flute scene (I mean seriously...).
What exactly is the problem here? He's clearly under orders to pursue other interests.

There is also a major issue in the exact function of the "black goo" which is clearly supposed to be a weapon of mass destruction and destroyer of life. The black goo functioned completely different in certain scenarios and the way the black goo ended up being a xenomorph was just completely illogical. One time it was making people into zombies, other time it had a latent contagious phase and other times it transformed smaller insects completely. Lots of inconsistencies in what they wanted the black goo to be aside from the end product being a xenomorph.
When did it have a latent contagious phase? Do you mean when Shaw got impregnated? I don't see how that's inconsistent, since the stuff fucks with your DNA. I don't see why altering your sperm would be beyond such a thing. I don't think it made anyone into a zombie, I think it was morphing Shaw's hubby, and then him getting blasted by fire messed up the process.

The exact point in the movie where the movie turned from good to bad was after the abdominal surgery scene. Not the scene itself, I mean yea the whole "male only" thing was sort of ridiculous when they could've just mentioned that this machine is not programmed for obstetric procedures. She programmed the machine to remove a foreign body which was smart because that was exactly what was happening but she programmed for an abdominal surgery not a surgery of the uterus. The way that xenomorph was extracted looked like it was outside the uterus not inside. It's not that big of a deal but the real big deal is that after she is done with the surgery and runs around the ship with 8 staples on her abdomen NO ONE stops to questions why she has staples on her abdomen or that she had an alien extracted from her body.
Entirely fair.

There is also no reason given as to why Shaw was needed at the near final scene of the engineer/space jockey confrontation. That whole scene was just really poorly executed with the alien acting like just some generic slasher movie monster killing everyone in sight. There is also no explanation given as to how these guys figure out he is going to go nuke earth or if he is going to do that in the first place. And the captain decides to heroically give his life for some greater common good and the 2 co-pilots decide to join in on the fun? Get out of here with that bull crap. I also could not be the only person who thought that Charlize Theron's left analog stick was messed up and she couldn't move left or right. That was one of the most nonsensical death scenes I have seen in the entire franchise and there are a lot of nonsensical death scenes.
What do you mean "needed"? She clearly just wanted to go and get answers. I thought the conclusion that bad things were coming to earth was pretty obvious. David figures out that the ship was preparing to leave for earth, and there's a bunch of nasty stuff on it. It's not like they ship is filled with Christmas presents. I thought the pilot sacrifice scene was fine. I imagine everyone on that ship has some kind of philanthropic tendency, since they sacrificed 2 years of their lives away from friends and family to probe space for answers to our origins. Yeah, Theron's death scene was lame. I never understand why characters run in straight lines away from falling things. I'm a left/right guy, personally - lol.

There is then the issue of Shaw helping the android despite figuring out that he helped kill his husband. And why the hell is the android in the exact same spot on the ship before AND after the crash? The movie also convoluted the xenomorph life cycle dramatically to the point where essentially stars had to align for the creature to come to life (there is a flow chart of it I don't want to go over how exactly it's terrible) despite clearly in the giant head room the xenomorph was depicted on the mural.
David being in the same spot on the ship is definitely a weird point, I'll give you that. Shaw isn't helping David because she likes him, though. It's a purely utility-based relationship. David can get her to where she needs to go, so she's going to take him with her. It's not like she's dining and laughing with him. It's also not clear that David completely understood what would happen if he subjected Shaw's hubby to the goo. I'm not sure why the xenomorph life cycle is complicated now.

The characters themselves were also pretty one dimensional or just plain bad aside from the main 3. The characterization and the script given to the actors was just low grade stuff. Guy Pierce's face CG was terribly obvious and so was the CG on the xenomorph at the end, which is shocking for a movie with such high overall quality in the visuals. In the end though movie ends up being disappointing for a lot of reasons most specifically being obvious script issues, plot holes, convolution and bad characterizations. It does have it's good points... most importantly the theme of the movie dealing with the origin of mankind and the role in Christianity as well as the whole concept of faith/belief intertwined with mythology. Like mentioned the presentation is absolutely top notch and so is the acting some of the actors despite having a pretty terrible script to work with. Someone compared the script/plot to Lost and I would agree 100%. The actual direction was stellar but they totally botched the script which just makes this movie into a hollow shell of it's self. I have more particular issues with the movie that I have probably forgotten or blacked out since I saw the movie. Meh 6/10 is exactly what I would rate it and the 6 is mostly on the merit of the stellar first act.
I thought the whole "origins of mankind" angle was the worst aspect of the film. I will shit a brick if the reason they were going to nuke us with the goo was because we killed Christ. Seriously. Character development is usually pretty light in an Aliens film, or any action film for that matter. I thought this movie had far more of it than most, and deserves praise for that. David is the most well-developed android in the series thus far.

Viscant's Ultimate Marvel meta-game discussion pre-CEO/EVO:

*States that ECT was easily the best Marvel tournament thus far in terms of level of play. Was truly engaged in the tournament not just as a player scouting other player's tech but rather enjoying the game. Regrets not being there but will be at CEO.

*Viscant mentioned that there was a lot of energy in the room and the pressure got to a few players especially Combofiend. The whole Plasma Storm moment was brought up where Combofiend not only teched the wrong way but forgot to XFC at the end of the Plasma Storm to get a free punish. Viscant chalked it up to a RARE Combofied choke moment and said that the pressure in the room probably got to him.

*Fanatiq/RayRay MM was touched upon but it was mostly talk about how Fanatiq's general hit confirms/abare and set ups were excellent and how Fanatiq adjusted to RayRay by dashing underneath him and mixing him up which RayRay didn't catch up on. Said that Fanatiq basically gave away the first few matches to download RayRay as expected.

*He really enjoyed the FChamp vs ChrisG match from a technical level. Discussion then shifted to Dormammu and how important he was in the match and how important he was in the match. Viscant stresses the difference in execution of derp MastaCJ Dorm and technical FChamp Dorm. Said that the way FChamp was using the 2D1C pillars in the fight was unlike anything he has seen from any other players and loved the fact that FChamp was willing to trade hits with it because it was in his favor. Said that he expects more Dorm in the meta game and he deserves to have teams built around it but he doubts there will be more FChamp type Dorm's but rather more MastaCJ type Dorms.

*3/5 Marvel was brought up and basically they all agreed how it's a much better option for Marvel. Keits mentioned that an average set of 3/5 Marvel takes less time than SF4 and that pools of Marvel end very fast even 3/5 because it's basically a ton of scrub stomping with 3/5 but at semi-finals/top 8 it takes a bit more time. Viscant stated that it's going to feel like a step down going from all these 3/5 tournaments to 2/3 EVO.

*Brings up his personal team tier list and said that it still holds even after UFGT/ECT. Viscant said that Wesker anchor teams on his list was probably controversial but recent tournament results have proven his rating and said that in certain situations Wesker on anchor is gimping a team especially against MorriDoom. He still feels that Wesker was overall nerfed from Vanilla whereas Dorm was buffed.

*Focus of discussion changes to characters who are tournament viable (Keits basically listed 20 characters real fast that Viscant listed in the previous WakeUp) and discussion was more about which characters were non viable in a top 8. Viscant said that before ECT he had pegged She Hulk but then Combofiend proved him wrong and saw some new tech on She Hulk in the matches that he liked. Someone brought up Iron Man and Viscant immediately shot that down. Put EC on blast saying that IM in bottom is as bad as putting Storm in low tier. Talked about how Iron Man has great assists especially for someone like Wesker/Spencer, how he is able to convert combos from spaces most characters can't, how he has great TAC combos and that his combos are very damaging. He ends by saying that Hsien Ko and Chun Li are probably the 2 worst characters and that even TA Wright is a threat in the game.

*Controller advantage and dirty little tricks in competitive fighting games were brought up. Stuff like looking at people's hands for TAC tendencies, dummy buttons to fake mashing and getting reads on opponents. Fanatiq's controller was mentioned a lot, might've been a true krytonite because of the way it distracts the opponent.

*MorriDoom was touched upon, mentioned some counter strategies and that he feels that right now MorriDoom isn't like Phoenix where you can learn the character/set up in 5 hours, it actually takes work. He expects only 1 top player to use her now and that number may grow to 2 more and then after quite a while it will be like Spiral/Sentinel where a lot more people would use it. Labels MorriDoom as a "barrier of entry" in tournaments meaning you have to have a counter team ready for it or expect to lose a tournament.

*Final topic of discussion was more on players and who the top 10 best players were. Here's what he said and this is probably not in order:

1) ChrisG: Very consistent, a major threat, MorriDoom is a "barrier of entry" in tournament levels of play. Has a ton of EVO points.

2) MarlinPie: Inconsistent in tournaments but very skilled otherwise. 3/5 greatly increase his changes of winning EVO.

3) Justin Wong: Even with a shitty Vergil he was getting far, imagine what he would do when he knows what he's doing with the character. Always a strong pick.

4) Yipes: Strong player picking strong team, tournament play shaky

5) PRBalrog: Probably the most skilled player in Marvel according to Viscant but may not be able to go the full distance

6) FChamp: Viscant pegs FChamp to have the most likely change of winning EVO even though he may not be the most skillful. He says that FChamp having 2 strong teams gives him an edge.

7) Flocker: Plays 2 very strong teams but has under performed in tournaments and drops matches despite outplaying the opponent.

8) Chou: Viscant states that he is very consistent at Marvel, plays a very strong team and is a major threat to be in top 8. More importantly in that even though his team is like an American team, he has some Japanese tricks that make him dangerous.

9) Mihe: Said that if it's the same Mihe from Final Round he is a major threat because he plays arguably the best team in the game and knows actually how to play it. But his presence at EVO is questionable as is his current practice time with the game.

10) Fanatiq: Viscant stated that Fanatiq is obviously a long set match mentality player who likes to drop games to download players which you can't do in a tournament setting. Said that he is extremely skilled and is one of the players who puts in the most lab time in the game.

*Viscant states that he is FINALLY "ready" for UMVC3 after 7-8 months. He said that he has at least 3 teams in his bank including his new team of Wesker/Dorm/Doom, his counter Morrigan team of Task/Dorm/Doom and his Phoenix team. He fancies himself to be in Top 8 EVO but states that he is way less consistent than he was in Vanilla and likes his changes in a 3/5 format. Said that he will be going in hard at CEO.
Thank you for typing all this out. I hate listening to podcasts, but I love reading.

Oh my god, GAF. I think I've found it. I think I've found my team. After seeing Combofiend at E3 and him telling me to drop Strider and get a meat shield, I went back to the drawing board and messed around for a bit. I thought about putting Thor in a team, but that didn't quite work. So I did what Combo would do, and I picked up Spencer. Had my first match with Spencer, Nova, and Ammy in that order. Man. I LIKE THIS A LOT. The only problem is that I don't know what assist of Spencer's to use, but whatevs, he's on point. THIS IS GOOD. AND I'VE ONLY FOUGHT ONE MATCH. It's like, Spencer is a easier to play, heavier damaging Spider Man, and I always wanted to play Spidey. =D
See you after you fight 50 more matches and change your mind. ;-)
I'm jaded.

i would like chris g to win evo but i think marlinpie takes it this year.
Really, MarlinPie? I can't see that at all. I have doubts about him making top 8 even.

shadoclone pls

Somewhat related, I had a dream that I went to EVO this year and 4 of top 8 was GAF.

You guys must make the majority of this premonition happen, since I will not be there.
Pay my air fare and I'll go, haha.

Real talk, I'd love to go to a major or even a weekly like Big Two just for the sake of screwing around and meeting new folks. Gotta work out some things but I'm determined to try this even once. GAF|AzureJ, we in there.
Yeah, I want to check out the FGC around Chicago. Surprisingly, there's not much in the main city. I might drive out to Brookfield (30 mins) for some action.

Dahbomb

Viscant can't play Iron Man just like he can't play Spider Man to the best of those character's worth despite recognizing that they are good, playable characters. He knows the theory behind playing IM his strengths and weaknesses which is more than I can say for a lot of pros out there.

I doubt it, it sounded like his theory fighter brain talking. I don't think Viscant has the execution to play IM well.

He's a big Doom fan in UMvC3 and will rather use Doom than IM for his assist character. Don't forget that he's famous for sticking to Doom in MvC2, even though he's the one who more or less created team Team Santhrax before Sanford popularized it.

Bizazedo

Eh, I know I won't, especially if it's 2/3.

In a long set I feel good against most people, but it takes time for me, way too much time, to get fully accustomed to some opposing teams. My team isn't safe enough.

Your team is far better built than mine in terms of first match, LETS GO!

645 has a better shot than I do. Chavelo, too, if he stops Shield Skills!'ng so much and stays back a bit more :).

Both have safer and, I think, better built teams overall.

Not that any of us will make it, but I will mark out huge if I see Chav or 645 up there.

Frantic

Hey Frantic, just wanted to ask you something in particular:

M - H - Stinger - BC Volcano - TK Revolver - Assist (Vajira) ~ walk up some - S - TK'd Million Carats - yadda yadda

I played around with your Strider assist shenanigans some recently and started wondering if this could be used as an alternate take for a starter.
It works, but the damage isn't as good as the j.MH > Killer Bee or j.H > Air Play > Killer Bee alternative.

Eh, I know I won't, especially if it's 2/3.

In a long set I feel good against most people, but it takes time for me, way too much time, to get fully accustomed to some opposing teams. My team isn't safe enough.
You better make it out of pools, at least. :p

Azure J

EMD is the best ^_^

Stop it, you're going to make me invest a shit load of time into Magneto when I should be learning better fundamentals with my current team. :lol

It works, but the damage isn't as good as the j.MH > Killer Bee or j.H > Air Play > Killer Bee alternative.

Yeah, I figured because of Revolver's scaling this would happen. I was just trying to easy mode my way to higher damage, but a few hours after posting that, I manage to hit the extension anyway with the j.MH > Killer Bee starter. Something about j.H - Air Play - Killer Bee always screws up for me. I know the timing but just can't get the window down pat.

smurfx

get some go again
man i really, really hope evo does 3/5. that way we find out who the best really is and won't have situations where good players get beaten randomly.

Dahbomb

There isn't THAT much a difference between 3/5 and 2/3 to suggest that 2/3 produces random results and 3/5 produces results based on actual player skill. 3/5 is simply the most possible, realistic number of matches in a tournament setting without exceeding the time of other fighting games (it's about the time of a 2/3 SF4 match).

Technically speaking it should be even longer to decide the difference between players but that's not possible in a tournament setting. Even in 2/3 a top player who is on point with everything will pass through as we saw at EVO last year, the two best players who deserved to be in grand finals were in grand finals.

3/5 is likely to produce more accurate results based on player skill/knowledge than 2/3 but even then it's no final indicator of skill level between 2 players. This doesn't just apply to Marvel but it applies to all FGs. More matches = more stable results but a line has to be drawn somewhere so that the tournament can actually finish within a set amount of time. To make a comparison to sports, a match of Tennis in men is best 3 out of 5 sets and within each set you have to win AT LEAST 6 games to win that set. At least 18 games have to be won by a player to get the victory and even then it's not a true indicator of player skill/worth. Sometimes players have bad days, bad form or bad luck. Imagine if Tennis was best 2/3 GAMES... HAHAHAHAHA!

This game can get pretty random. There's absolutely no denying that. The better player will win, but to say that there have never been random wins in tournaments is silly.
There is randomness, and it comes in the form of unintended execution. For example, I meant to hit j.M once and got j.H, which got me an air throw and won me the match. That's a kind of randomness, because there's no intention behind it.

Yomi is not random. When my opponent keeps superjumping and tridashing across the screen as Magneto, and then I Chaotic Flame the next time he is at the peak of his superjump, it's because I'm attempting to read him and catch the tridash. It's not random.

We don't get the same group of players in the top 8 every tournament because they're just "better at surviving random". This game is like poker. Bad players think it's all about the random, and good players know that it's a game of many layers, and what cards you hold is just one facet of the game.

Every time I see a player get happy birthday'd, all I hear is "this game is so random!" No. That player made an unsafe assist call and paid for it. It's game where mistakes have severe punishments, and sloppy play like ChrisG showed against F. Champ loses you the match. I'm sure you all know I don't mean that as a slam on ChrisG, he's a fantastic player. A lot of players get into predictable motions that we don't see, and get slammed for it.

The game is no more "random" than any other fighting game where you and your opponent can both make a decision at the same time which wins the game for one because it turned out to be the right decision (but wasn't necessarily based on facts) and the other loses. Yomi is an integral part of fighting games. The only thing that separates Marvel from Street Fighter is that the stakes are much higher.

Dahbomb

Viscant also compared Marvel to Poker in the Wakeup SRK.

The problem with Marvel is sometimes it rewards knee jerk reactions too much and you can easily get a leg up on someone who played skillfully over you the entire set by doing some rather unskillful stuff because so much of the stuff requires fast reflexes and reactions to actually beat consistently like getting hit by a LVL3XF Super Skrull meteor smash because he is sped up. The Skrull player isn't really doing anything skillful and had been losing the entire game, he gets a meteor smash to cross up he then initiates a vortex of mix ups and wins the match. There shouldn't be that much reward for pulling out something like that. Also quite a few matches have been won in Ultimate around Wesker's cross up Phantom Dance which is a complete random element of the game that should be removed.

The random element of the game has been minimized but everyone still cringes when they get bopped by an ambiguous cross up Foot Dive hitting your fucking collar bone.

Also I hope this is true:

CEO is doing EC VS WC 5v5 on Friday night.
Would be ZETA level hype if true.

Been seeing more Vipers lately, people weren't kidding when they said she sh*ts invincibility :/ Not used to my hypers losing to stuff. Not that they were mindblowing but at least now I have a better handle on what she can do.

The hell with her regardless :D AE makes her easy to hate.

re: random

I have some sympathy for Skrull comeback hate since we've all been there, but you shouldn't let that situation develop in the first place.

As for eating a cross up FOOT DIVE! -- STOP GOING UNDERNEATH DOOM. Completely the player's fault for not respecting the king of Latveria who isn't all that kingly without help.

Viscant also compared Marvel to Poker in the Wakeup SRK.

The problem with Marvel is sometimes it rewards knee jerk reactions too much and you can easily get a leg up on someone who played skillfully over you the entire set by doing some rather unskillful stuff because so much of the stuff requires fast reflexes and reactions to actually beat consistently like getting hit by a LVL3XF Super Skrull meteor smash because he is sped up. The Skrull player isn't really doing anything skillful and had been losing the entire game, he gets a meteor smash to cross up he then initiates a vortex of mix ups and wins the match. There shouldn't be that much reward for pulling out something like that. Also quite a few matches have been won in Ultimate around Wesker's cross up Phantom Dance which is a complete random element of the game that should be removed.
Phantom Dance and Vergil's sword hyper getting fixed are a no brainer (I've had Vergil's cross me up plenty of times).

Anyone should know that you don't push buttons against an XF3 Skrull. It's just as foolish as calling an assist against XF3 Akuma. A lot of characters have answers to Meteor Smash beyond blocking, but they don't get used often. A frequent opponent of mine in Vanilla would start to do "random" Round Harvest hypers with Trish, for example. I tend to superjump a lot and watch the screen positioning. You can tell where Skrull will land based on how the screen focuses. If the screen moves past your character, you know he smashed behind you. If it didn't, you know he smashed in front of you. Against XF3 Skrull, it's all about running away and watching the screen.

I think XF3 Skrull is a fair trade for gimping your team's assists anyway.

The random element of the game has been minimized but everyone still cringes when they get bopped an ambiguous cross up Foot Dive hitting your fucking collar bone.
Street Fighter is pretty much built on ambiguous cross-ups. I'm not saying they don't suck to try and live through, or that they don't have a kind of randomness to them, but I'm trying to focus on criticizing those who claim Marvel in especially "random".

Been seeing more Vipers lately, people weren't kidding when they said she sh*ts invincibility :/ Not used to my hypers losing to stuff. Not that they were mindblowing but at least now I have a better handle on what she can do.

I have some sympathy for Skrull comeback hate since we've all been there, but you shouldn't let that situation develop in the first place.

As for eating a cross up FOOT DIVE! -- STOP GOING UNDERNEATH DOOM. Completely the player's fault for not respecting the king of Latveria who isn't all that kingly without help.
Indeed. There is such a thing as snapping a character in, and Skrull is a good example of a character you want to do that for. It's especially effective if you take a character down to like 10% life and then snap him/her out, so after you kill Skrull the player's anchor is already close to death.

And yeah, the answer to Doom is just patience. He's not going to kill anything unless you mess up.

Any other year, I definitely would, but I finally acquired a FT big boy job, so EVO will only be a few weeks after my start and therefore, off the table. Sucks though because I lurve Vegas.

This essentially confirms me for Canada Cup pending unforeseen circumstances though.

Man, it's so weird seeing us and the chip damage dudes in every filler clip for evo. I saw eissan and canadian juicebox in the new daigo interview on SRK lol.

Definitely need to squeeze into some front rows again.

focus attack being cancellable into ex seismo is absurd.

Alucrid

Banned
I hadn't watched a stream in ages and I caught the ECT4 this weekend and I was sad to see no Rocket Raccoon on stream. Taskmaster has that cool new sword stab move.

Viscant and Mine were not unknown players last year. X-Ray = Yes and he was the only one in top 8.

Mine use to go by Tinh Ngo (his real name). He was a top MVC2 player along with the other Norcal heads like Chunksta, and Crizzle.

Viscant has been posting novels (if you thought Dahbomb's post were long) on SRK for years as well. Did pretty decent for himself in the early stage of MVC2. Oh and poker rants... a lot of them.

My pick for best Marvel players will always be Justin and Combo but both of them have so many obligations in other games. I wouldn't be shock if Pr Balrog or Champ takes it. They both have other games but from what I've seen from watching FGTV they both pretty much gave up on AE and is all in on Marvel.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Viscant and Mine were not unknown players last year. X-Ray = Yes and he was the only one in top 8.

Mine use to go by Tinh Ngo (his real name). He was a top MVC2 player along with the other Norcal heads like Chunksta, and Crizzle.

Viscant has been posting novels (if you thought Dahbomb's post were long) on SRK for years as well. Did pretty decent for himself in the early stage of MVC2. Oh and poker rants... a lot of them.

He also has a great sextoy review that I can't recommend reading enough.

He also has a great sextoy review that I can't recommend reading enough.

haha yes Viscant was the first person I ever heard refer to a toy known as a flesh light...

Also if anyone watch FGTV in it's early days they had interviews with all the players. Rog pretty much said this...

He thinks that out of all the top players he plays the game correctly (rush down) the most that's why he has great success. However he thinks Champ is a smarter player, and Justin as the best overall. (This was before Chris G showed Morridoom though so his opinion probably have changed).

Dahbomb

Rushdown is still the most dominant style of play but you will be in trouble if your team doesn't have 1 or 2 characters that can play the zoning game. I think hybrid characters like Magneto are the way to go in Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom