• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stalking Flare has a lot of crazy DHC setups. I dunno if this is helpful to you, but what I would do with my team is Dark Matter xx Stalking Flare. This gives a massive amount of time for the flare to float around. By DHCing to Spencer, I could pop them up into Sphere Flame, then do 3 upgrapples before it ran out, then another 2 with my OTG and purification assist in the corner.

For you, I assume that means you can set up your unblockable for one bar with Dormammu on point?

Dahbomb

Alright everyone, a mega post about how I think I may have just broken Firebrand.

Everyone here knows that sometimes when I get a combo with Firebrand, I TAC to Dormammu, do his TAC combo, and then DHC Stalking Flare to Luminous Body for the unblockable setup. I have found very little that beats this setup, especially after I remembered that I can call Dark Hole right before I go into Demon Missile H for extra chip and lockdown to ensure the unblockable. Dark Hole basically just gives me time to mess with my positioning.

Unfortunately, TACs are not reliable, so I usually did Bennet's setup of Dark Fire -> Stalking Flare, and then I would XFC into 1D2C for over 1 million damage total, charge 2D1C, liberate it, cancel into Stalking Flare, and DHC into Luminous Body for a 200% kill on my opponent's team.

I want to say, frankly, that this setup is yesterday's technology.

Last night I was on SRK and saw this thread:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/bon-voyage-frequent-flyer-miles-glitch.154937/

Unnoticed and unloved. Who, in a post-Vanilla would, could care about a "DHC glitch" setup for Firebrand (since that's what it is, but the OP doesn't seem to know that)? Certainly, we haven't seen anything from it.

But I had an idea: right now I feel like my team is lacking when Dormammu is dead, and it's just down to Firebrand/Morrigan. They're both pretty low damage characters, so I feel like I need to find some synergy between them. I'm sure it's there, and I thought this was a perfect opportunity. DHC glitch into Astral Vision, and maybe I'd have time to land Soul Drain - cool huh? I still haven't gotten it to work, but I haven't given up either, especially since the glitch puts my opponent into hard knockdown and I have Firebrand's OTG assist. There must be something there damn it!

I became frustrated for a while, but then had another thought: sometimes I want to DHC Firebrand out with Luminous Body, and I didn't have a great way to do that yet. So maybe I could use this to do Luminous Body -> Chaotic Flame? I tried it, and it worked. Cool!

Then another thought came to me: why Chaotic Flame? Why not...Stalking Flare?

So I gave it a shot, and it turns out that Stalking Flare is too slow to catch my opponent before he falls to the ground. And that's why this is so beautiful. See, I've never had a way to set this up before. Doing Firebrand's bnb into Luminous Body -> Stalking Flare doesn't give me enough time to raw tag Firebrand back in. But this does. Firebrand recovers well before my opponent gets up and roll recovers thanks to the spinning knockdown, meaning I can set up his full unblockable this way.

Here's the full setup, starting with Firebrand:
c.LMHS, sj.MMHS, qcf.S, s.H, qcf.S, Luminous Body, Stalking Flare, raw tag Firebrand, call Dark Hole, dp.H (hold), j.S, c.LMHS, sj.MMH, d.H, qcb.L, c.HS, sj.MMHS, qcf.S, s.S, sj.MMHS

Two bars, and it does over 1 million damage. Firebrand builds ~2 bars of meter during all of this, and I also get 2 Dark Harmonizer calls due to the reset, making this generate heavy positive meter. I can end the whole thing into Dark Fire to kill anyone short of Thor, thanks to this.

You might have noticed that the beginning combo is a bit short, and this is because s.H into qcf.S drops if the combo has gone on too long. I'm certain there's a way to make the opening setup longer and stronger, but I'll figure that out later.

So, whether I touch someone with Firebrand or Dormammu, it's a dead character for 2 bars. BFFs? Only an alpha counter into something like Hard Drive can survive it, AFAIK, but nothing really stops that, so I can't complain.
I wonder if Zak Bennet knows this. Though he doesn't use a meter building assist, he can still use this set up.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Yeah, it's posted. Seems obviously false to me.

I was just randomly youtubing Firebrand videos and came across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5kKqt-9RZ0

~15 seconds in, is that a new Wesker combo? I've never seen that before.
So I kept watching the video even though I do t use any of those characters, and I saw some shit, particularly from 13:30 onward. I didn't know Dormammu could "protect" Stalking Flare by tagging out, and I was entertained by Wesker's movements around it. Nice video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IrIeGQBXHc&feature=g-all-u

Maximillian comments on EC vs WC.

I just read those Capcom FG rumors and most of them don't sound that off to be honest. The new DS4 character... yeah they want THAT DMC reference in there. I would laugh if he has some sort of trenchcoat.

Whats funny is when I read the description of the DS4 character Vermillion from Toshinden 2 popped in my head. If this character is real than a trechcoat is a must.

Solune

Dat Firebrand Technology.

I wish I had the drive to innovate tech like this, I always end up quitting in frustration usually due to my poor execution.

I was using Combofiend's team with Iron Fist instead of Taskmaster and the synergy is surprisingly good, I suppose the main problem is DHCing from Iron Fist to She-Hulk but I didn't try extensively. I was trying to get as many rawtags/crumples as possible but I just gave up after not being able to OTG air grapple into double zipline into upgrapple.

You've inspired me to try again though Karst.

Azure J

I wish I had the drive to innovate tech like this, I always end up quitting in frustration usually due to my poor execution.

This is pretty much how I feel whenever I play these games at times. When I first start playing, I'll learn one way of doing things and kinda patch other little things into them here and there. The problem is, when you still work under the same framework, you kinda limit yourself and don't develop the mind to really just make something happen from nothing and have it work consistently.

It's also one of the biggest reasons why I had the hardest time synergizing with Amaterasu even though she offers so much to my team that I haven't been using to its fullest. It was only recently that I remembered how broken Veil of Mist + Dante is. I still haven't gotten to the point where I'm great with all three characters. I 'm best with Dante followed by Strider. Ammy needs more time in the oven.

Stalking Flare has a lot of crazy DHC setups. I dunno if this is helpful to you, but what I would do with my team is Dark Matter xx Stalking Flare. This gives a massive amount of time for the flare to float around. By DHCing to Spencer, I could pop them up into Sphere Flame, then do 3 upgrapples before it ran out, then another 2 with my OTG and purification assist in the corner.

For you, I assume that means you can set up your unblockable for one bar with Dormammu on point?
I usually do Dark Matter x Purification x Stalking Flare to get it out there when Dormammu is in the neutral. If that doesn't work, Dark Matter spam until my opponent feels the need to superjump, then Purification x Stalking Flare. If my opponent has a tendency to call assists when he superjumps that can hit Dormammu, Mass Change M when he superjumps, Liberate 0D0C x Stalking Flare. It's pretty rare for me not to be able to get it on the screen at all if I want it to be.

Dark Matter straight into Stalking Flare is an interesting idea, since it would work much like this tech does. I'll keep it in mind, it sounds like it would work well.

I wonder if Zak Bennet knows this. Though he doesn't use a meter building assist, he can still use this set up.
I'm pretty certain that he doesn't know about it. I'd send the post straight to him if I knew how, since he inspired me to keep trying with Firebrand/Dormammu.

So I kept watching the video even though I do t use any of those characters, and I saw some shit, particularly from 13:30 onward. I didn't know Dormammu could "protect" Stalking Flare by tagging out, and I was entertained by Wesker's movements around it. Nice video.
I rarely put Dormammu on teams lacking a partner with an install hyper just for this reason. It's so mean to finish an opponent through Stalking Flare -> Astral Vision.

Goddamn that sounds hilariously awesome.
It feels good! A sparring partner of mine beat it once by mashing Double Lariat on wakeup, haha. It taught me to be a bit more cautious.

I was using Combofiend's team with Iron Fist instead of Taskmaster and the synergy is surprisingly good, I suppose the main problem is DHCing from Iron Fist to She-Hulk but I didn't try extensively. I was trying to get as many rawtags/crumples as possible but I just gave up after not being able to OTG air grapple into double zipline into upgrapple.

You've inspired me to try again though Karst.
I'm normally pretty lazy, but the gears are always turning in my head. Maybe once a week I'll go into training mode and try to figure out some puzzle I've been working on. I can't imagine DHCing from Iron Fist to She-Hulk is difficult, since they're both melee hyper-based.

This is pretty much how I feel whenever I play these games at times. When I first start playing, I'll learn one way of doing things and kinda patch other little things into them here and there. The problem is, when you still work under the same framework, you kinda limit yourself and don't develop the mind to really just make something happen from nothing and have it work consistently.

It's also one of the biggest reasons why I had the hardest time synergizing with Amaterasu even though she offers so much to my team that I haven't been using to its fullest. It was only recently that I remembered how broken Veil of Mist + Dante is. I still haven't gotten to the point where I'm great with all three characters. I 'm best with Dante followed by Strider. Ammy needs more time in the oven.
Every day I think about this game I figure out a new setup. Yesterday I realized that I really, really need to use Firebrand's wall cling more, since it protects his approach and he can combo off of the fireball.

Edit: Damn, while typing this I figured out a possible way to make Firebrand/Morrigan stronger. I must test it!

Azure J

I really need to make some new stuff then. Thank for the burst of inspiration though Karst. :)

Wall clings are seriously good stuff. I really didn't understand the uses besides trolling/laming things out for it until I recently discovered that you can do a ghetto instant overhead with Felicia by doing a wall cling dismount and hitting j.S. You would be so surprised seeing how effective this is by itself. Add assists or Kitty Helper (or both) and it just gets hilarious.

I'll also throw out that, IMO, there are two huge causes to not wanting to explore tech for a team:
1) You aren't playing the characters you love, so you're not excited to see what they can do.
2) You haven't decided on a team, so it feels like anything you explore is a "waste of time".

That's just how it is for me, but I suspect I'm not alone on this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alioune > *

Midscreen Hyper Grav Combos

SMP

Being fly with Magneto

Damn at XF3 Magnus combos. I would feel sorry for someone if they got styled on with some of this shit during a tournament...
This stuff is so amazing. Magneto in Marvel 3 is a sandbox full of wonders. MarlinPie should pick up Magneto again, real talk.

Did Capcom loose the "Fighting game licence" in 2012?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX9FMdxaN_Y

Makes me wonder if this Ubisoft game is the reason why Ultimate was rushed in 2011????
Maybe, to not confuse the general audience with two "fighting game" titles too close together. I can see that being a rationale.

I don't think Capcom had some exclusive license, just a partnership.

And for the record, that game looks ridiculous. I wouldn't be caught dead playing it like that anyways. As far as upcoming Marvel games go, the Marvel Heroes MMO is the only one that interests me.

Watching this makes me curious, what are the smallest and largest stages in terms of width?

JeTmAn81

Firebrand/Dormammu stuff

You nasty.

On another note, I actually saw a neat little move in one of Max's UMVC3 online warrior vids, of all things. With Strider, you can use the bird bomb to OTG, and with the help of Strider's slide, relaunch. I just hadn't seen that before and it looked cool. Will have to try it.

Azure J

I'll also throw out that, IMO, there are two huge causes to not wanting to explore tech for a team:
1) You aren't playing the characters you love, so you're not excited to see what they can do.
2) You haven't decided on a team, so it feels like anything you explore is a "waste of time".

2 is probably the one that comes closest to me, but I'm really getting comfortable with Dante/Ammy/Strider so it might not be an issue anymore. Really, my biggest problem is that this game is a candy shop selling candy shops and I'm a 4 year old that wandered in with eyes on everything. :lol

@Jet - I have yet to land this one myself (execution isn't there yet), but another variant of that which is exceptionally deceptive is to call Tiger after a hard knockdown, then slide kick OTG. The tiger comes after the actual kick and combos so you can do other stuff off it. I wish if I had the youtube vid I saw with this being shown off.

Dahbomb

SRK just released the Road to EVO points thus far. ChrisG has the most by a mile, 2nd is Justin Wong and 3rd is FChamp. After there is another big drop into PRBalrog, Wentinel and Dieminion.

mr. puppy

Banned
Damn Karst thats some really smart shit.

Just wondering though, how do you fare without a neutral assist thats useful and you can throw out for setups? I know none of those characters have any trouble getting in, but something else to fill space is really strong.

Solune

I'm normally pretty lazy, but the gears are always turning in my head. Maybe once a week I'll go into training mode and try to figure out some puzzle I've been working on. I can't imagine DHCing from Iron Fist to She-Hulk is difficult, since they're both melee hyper-based.

Edit: Damn, while typing this I figured out a possible way to make Firebrand/Morrigan stronger. I must test it!
That's funny because I go into training room at least once or twice a day just practicing or coming up with new combos, as opposed to developing tech. But I'm always switching characters around, I think I've been going around doing the wrong thing looking for damaging combos rather than the cheap stuff that I should be looking into researching.

I feel like when I watch other Spencer/Vergil players though, I say "WHY DID YOU DO THAT" alot. Much to my dismay. Although I guess I'm not in a position to criticize since I still can't do alot of Spencer combos :lol. Edit: One thing that bugs me is no one using Devil Trigger with Vergil. It's especially good during/after a Spencer ToD/DHC.

That's pretty true, though when I find a concept I like to explore it extensively, even if it's not practical. Another reason is that, the teams I want to explore aren't in my quick team selection list so I'm less inclined to pick them again. I've been wanting to pick up some old dropped teams though just to develop them further if only because I'm bored.
Holy shit that Lightning Loop did 425k what the fuck.

You nasty.

On another note, I actually saw a neat little move in one of Max's UMVC3 online warrior vids, of all things. With Strider, you can use the bird bomb to OTG, and with the help of Strider's slide, relaunch. I just hadn't seen that before and it looked cool. Will have to try it.

2 is probably the one that comes closest to me, but I'm really getting comfortable with Dante/Ammy/Strider so it might not be an issue anymore. Really, my biggest problem is that this game is a candy shop selling candy shops and I'm a 4 year old that wandered in with eyes on everything. :lol

@Jet - I have yet to land this one myself (execution isn't there yet), but another variant of that which is exceptionally deceptive is to call Tiger after a hard knockdown, then slide kick OTG. The tiger comes after the actual kick and combos so you can do other stuff off it. I wish if I had the youtube vid I saw with this being shown off.

SRK just released the Road to EVO points thus far. ChrisG has the most by a mile, 2nd is Justin Wong and 3rd is FChamp. After there is another big drop into PRBalrog, Wentinel and Dieminion.
I'm surprised Wentinel and Dieminion are so high up.

Damn Karst thats some really smart shit.
Thanks!

Just wondering though, how do you fare without a neutral assist thats useful and you can throw out for setups? I know none of those characters have any trouble getting in, but something else to fill space is really strong.
It depends on the team I'm facing. Unless my opponent has an anti-air assist like Hidden Missiles of Vajra, I don't feel hindered by not having an attack assist all that much. Firebrand spends all his time in the air, so anything like Plasma Beam / Aim Master L just goes under me.

If I'm facing Vajra, I feel pretty screwed because my team is filled with aerial characters. Vajra + teleporters is my bane, but F. Champ gave me some ideas to work on that with. It's definitely my worst matchup.

If I'm facing a strong keepaway team, Firebrand can definitely have trouble getting in, but I don't feel the need to play to my opponent's game. It's kind of boring, but in a lot of matches I'll just superjump over and over while calling Dark Harmonizer and spitting out some Hell Spitfire L/M. It keeps my opponent busy, there's almost no chance of losing Morrigan, and the longer they wait the stronger I get. A little chip damage is nothing compared to another bar of meter, and I often actually win the chip war since Firebrand can cover the superjump horizontal and diagonal, and most characters can't. I don't do three spitfires though, I always do fireball, fireball, and them Hell Dive L to get back to the ground for another Dark Harmonizer faster, and because it makes Firebrand less predictable than sitting up there all day. Sometimes I'll just superjump into Hell Dive L or just throw one fireball, or I'll throw two fireballs, Luminous Body, and then throw three more before doing Hell Dive L. I'm going to start messing with wall clings more in the near future, because I haven't been giving them their due.

In these situations, depending on my opponent I'll either save up for 3 bars and activate Chaos Tide, or I'll wait for my opponent to call an assist, and any time during a superjump do Luminous Body -> Chaotic Flame (XFC) -> Dark Hole -> Chaotic Flame, which kills most assist. Most keepaway teams rely on their anti-air assist (Hidden Missiles, Vajra, or Jam Session), so once that's gone I can handle the rest of their team like any generic matchup.

If I'm facing rushdown backed by Hidden Missiles, I play a super aggressive game where Firebrand is always in Luminous Body, because it's pretty much the only chance I have. I went even against a Magneto/Doom a few months ago, but each fight was truly a struggle at the start.

The only characters with huge normals that scare me are Hulk, Vergil, and Dante. I have to play really careful around them because their anti-airs are vicious. Sentinel and Nemesis are really free because Firebrand always gets in, and once he does its just instant overheads all day until they die. Armor doesn't help them at all against Bon Voyage. If Vergil is on the team, hopefully he's second so I can snap him in - he has no aerial mobility so the Dark Hole unblockable will kill him. Hulk is the most frustrating just because his massive health makes you really feel how inadequate Firebrand's damage output is. It can take 3-4 resets to kill him off. -_- This new setup should help that, though!

I tried to be as thorough as possible, but I'm happy to explain more if you have more questions. I'm absolutely certain that replacing Morrigan with Doom (missiles) makes the team stronger, but Doom bores the hell out of me.

That's funny because I go into training room at least once or twice a day just practicing or coming up with new combos, as opposed to developing tech. But I'm always switching characters around, I think I've been going around doing the wrong thing looking for damaging combos rather than the cheap stuff that I should be looking into researching.
I am super basic in my combos. I care a lot more about setups. I still ABC it up with Dormammu and Morrigan. Firebrand pretty much only has ABC combos, haha. Just this last week I started practicing landing 1D1C after a Stalking Flare DHC, actually. I'm still not sure what I want to do after it though...I should try just linking Dark Matter or Dark Hole. Purification into Chaotic Flame doesn't work, unfortunately.

At this point, the thing I want more than anything else with my team is a way to DHC into Astral Vision and land Soul Drain with Morrigan. There just absolutely has to be a way here somewhere, preferably one that doesn't require godlike execution. The new trick might lead to something, and I still think that she might be able to land one off of Chaotic Flame in a corner. I wish I could just do CPU inputs to figure this stuff out - lol!

I feel like when I watch other Spencer/Vergil players though, I say "WHY DID YOU DO THAT" alot. Much to my dismay. Although I guess I'm not in a position to criticize since I still can't do alot of Spencer combos :lol
I don't get that a lot because people who play the characters I use tend to be pretty devoted to them and know what they are doing. I do sympathize with every Morrigan user when they biff up a Soul Fist input, though!

That's pretty true, though when I find a concept I like to explore it extensively, even if it's not practical. Another reason is that, the teams I want to explore aren't in my quick team selection list so I'm less inclined to pick them again. I've been wanting to pick up some old dropped teams though just to develop them further if only because I'm bored.
It is tough having only three quick select teams.

Dahbomb

Dieminion went to a lot of tournaments and got a lot of top 8 spots. Wentinel got a lot of points from WNF and also went to a lot of tournaments placing top 8.

JeTmAn81

Yeah that sounds interesting. Lots of options off the kitty.

Another Strider thing I'd like to work more on is resetting by jump cancelling a launcher into Vajra. I was trying this with Vajra H in training mode and it looked pretty cool (launch them up, knock them back down an instant after they recover), but in practice it seemed to miss the opponent a lot of the time. However, if I tried it with Vajra L or M into B+j.H (option selecting into throw) into Excalibur L for priority, it could work out as a pretty nasty crossup.

You should definitely work on your tech. You have top tier combos but you shouldn't be losing to some of my fraudulent teams.

Also, stop calling random assists when I have full screen supers.

Not one bit surprising since Chris G went to the most majors. And he won a fair share of them like the Civil War and other non big majors. Justin skipped out on NCR, NWM, Civil War, and Power Up.
Chris G got a free 100 points from Power Up and Civil War.

Surprise Wentinel is on that list though. I know he's been making it out of pools at majors but figure he lose somewhere in top 32 but I guess he made it to top 16 a few times. I guess those WNF points coming in handy.

Azure J

Totally random question: Is it true that the button setup for this game (4 buttons, 2 assists) is something that is patented by Capcom? I was playing with my hobbyist design doc for a fighter and thinking about the layout after that discussion in one of the Fighting Game Weekly threads about Guard Cancels, Parries and the like and came up with something, but then I read somewhere today that the layout is under "originul idea, do not steel" protection.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

So I might have to stick with Magneto/Sentinel/raccoon after all. Magneto is my best character by far, and what I'm best at is punishing and covering assists. Sentinel is Magneto's best assist and a great punish DHC. That means I need an assist that helps Sentinel as much as Magneto, and that's log trap. Even though I don't like playing Raccoon, it might be the best option for my playstyle.

Grecco

Maybe, to not confuse the general audience with two "fighting game" titles too close together. I can see that being a rationale.

I don't think Capcom had some exclusive license, just a partnership.

And for the record, that game looks ridiculous. I wouldn't be caught dead playing it like that anyways. As far as upcoming Marvel games go, the Marvel Heroes MMO is the only one that interests me.

I thought there was a "Marvel Fighting game" licence and a "marvel rpg" licence. (The Activision MArvel ultimate alliance games) Remember after MVC2. EA had it for a while which led to that awful game with made up characters. Then they had one in development at EA chicago before EA closed that studio off. Then Marvel seemded to parter with Capcom again which led to MVC2 for XBLA/PSN and then MVC3.

So I might have to stick with Magneto/Sentinel/raccoon after all. Magneto is my best character by far, and what I'm best at is punishing and covering assists. Sentinel is Magneto's best assist and a great punish DHC. That means I need an assist that helps Sentinel as much as Magneto, and that's log trap. Even though I don't like playing Raccoon, it might be the best option for my playstyle.
I don't think Log Trap is Sentinel's best assist.

Sentinel's best assists are those that make it harder to hit him, not those that give him combos. He's already pretty good at opening people up, he's just bad at staying alive. My list of top Sentinel assists:
1) Repulsor Blast
2) Hidden Missiles
3) Double Lariat
4) Jam Session
5) Tatsu
6) Senpu Bu
7) Orbital Grudge
8) Mighty Smash
9) Shield Barrier
10) Vajra

Not in any particular order, though the first 4 are really good.

If you really want an offensive assist, I'd go with Bolts of Ballthack or Mystic Ray.

Alternatively, you could anchor Sentinel.

Totally random question: Is it true that the button setup for this game (4 buttons, 2 assists) is something that is patented by Capcom? I was playing with my hobbyist design doc for a fighter and thinking about the layout after that discussion in one of the Fighting Game Weekly threads about Guard Cancels, Parries and the like and came up with something, but then I read somewhere today that the layout is under "originul idea, do not steel" protection.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I do not know! :)

I don't think Log Trap is Sentinel's best assist.

Sentinel's best assists are those that make it harder to hit him, not those that give him combos. He's already pretty good at opening people up, he's just bad at staying alive. My list of top Sentinel assists:
1) Repulsor Blast
2) Hidden Missiles
3) Double Lariat
4) Jam Session
5) Tatsu
6) Senpu Bu
7) Orbital Grudge
8) Mighty Smash
9) Shield Barrier
10) Vajra

Not in any particular order, though the first 4 are really good.

If you really want an offensive assist, I'd go with Bolts of Ballthack or Mystic Ray.

Alternatively, you could anchor Sentinel.

Well, Log Trap protects the area where he's weakest, which is under him, as well as helps control the space in front while being a great hit confirm. I don't really like any of those anchor characters is the problem(maybe skrull), and I don't want to anchor Sentinel because then I need another character to DHC to to punish assists. The only one of those I like is Dormammu or Akuma and then I need another character anyway.

Well, Log Trap protects the area where he's weakest, which is under him, as well as helps control the space in front while being a great hit confirm. I don't really like any of those anchor characters is the problem(maybe skrull), and I don't want to anchor Sentinel because then I need another character to DHC to to punish assists. The only one of those I like is Dormammu or Akuma and then I need another character anyway.
Shockwave -> Proton Cannon
Shockwave -> Million Dollars (XFC, teleport, etc.)
Shockwave -> Legion (XFC, teleport, etc.)

Aside from Dormammu and Akuma, those are your options if you want something like that.

Log Trap is nice, but Sentinel isn't fast enough to hit confirm off of it if he happens to be in the air. I don't think I ever felt threatened by Log Trap in our matches. I feel like Sentinel does best with an assist that has long-term screen presence.

Solune

I am super basic in my combos. I care a lot more about setups. I still ABC it up with Dormammu and Morrigan. Firebrand pretty much only has ABC combos, haha. Just this last week I started practicing landing 1D1C after a Stalking Flare DHC, actually. I'm still not sure what I want to do after it though...I should try just linking Dark Matter or Dark Hole. Purification into Chaotic Flame doesn't work, unfortunately.

At this point, the thing I want more than anything else with my team is a way to DHC into Astral Vision and land Soul Drain with Morrigan. There just absolutely has to be a way here somewhere, preferably one that doesn't require godlike execution. The new trick might lead to something, and I still think that she might be able to land one off of Chaotic Flame in a corner. I wish I could just do CPU inputs to figure this stuff out - lol!

I don't get that a lot because people who play the characters I use tend to be pretty devoted to them and know what they are doing. I do sympathize with every Morrigan user when they biff up a Soul Fist input, though!

It is tough having only three quick select teams.
I still do basic combos with certain teams (Wolverine !). Thing is I don't play with teams that have alot or work around exploiting certain skills other than incoming characters and lockdown. That's the thing with playing RTSD I suppose.

I imagine you'd be able to pull off an Astral Visions DHC from Stalker Flare into Soul Drain? Although I guess you'd still want to find a setup from Firebrand to Morrigan.

What was really disgusting is that, Justin made it to GF with an average Spencer/Vergil and there's alot of things that amaze me about it.

1. He's just that good fundamentally that he can get by without advanced tech using this team
2. He's not even completing a full BnB or conversion after a DHC.
3. His performance proves that Spencer/Vergil is stupid
4. Other players just not playing at the same level
You should definitely work on your tech. You have top tier combos but you shouldn't be losing to some of my fraudulent teams.

Also, stop calling random assists when I have full screen supers.

Stop exposing me HHHHHHHHH !

And yah I'm very slow to adapt in Marvel, I don't tech resets and I don't make good reads =/. I pretty much play on a flowchart at this point. It doesn't help that I pretty much play in training room and hop in player matches when someone invites.

I still do basic combos with certain teams (Wolverine !). Thing is I don't play with teams that have alot or work around exploiting certain skills other than incoming characters and lockdown. That's the thing with playing RTSD I suppose.
That's part of the fun of rushing, though. Sometimes I just want to go nuts and use Wolverine/Akuma just because it feels so...carefree. With Dormammu, everything is a long term commitment. If I misjudge something with Wolverine, it doesn't matter! He recovers so fast from everything, haha.

I think everyone does basic Wolverine combos still. I haven't seen a single Wolverine jump loop on stream, and it's maddening.

I imagine you'd be able to pull off an Astral Visions DHC from Stalker Flare into Soul Drain? Although I guess you'd still want to find a setup from Firebrand to Morrigan.
Stalking Flare always takes people upward, and basically it's always too high up before Morrigan can land anything but a Soul Fist H. Dark Fire -> Stalking Flare -> Astral Vision doesn't work, and she can't manually fly as high as the flare takes my opponent (lol). It feels like it should work, though.

Then again, as I write this I realize I've never tried superjumping into Shadow Blade H, fly-cancel, Soul Drain. That might get me up there! *writes that down* For some reason Shadow Blade just doesn't exist in my brain outside of combos. I don't even anti-air people with it in matches. For months I thought "Morrigan doesn't have a good anti-air, and she needs one!" while simultaneously using Shadow Blade in every one of her combos.

What was really disgusting is that, Justin made it to GF with an average Spencer/Vergil and there's alot of things that amaze me about it.

1. He's just that good fundamentally that he can get by without advanced tech using this team
2. He's not even completing a full BnB or conversion after a DHC.
3. His performance proves that Spencer/Vergil is stupid
4. Other players just not playing at the same level
Spencer pissed me off in Vanilla. When I saw he got buffed in Ultimate, I was livid.

Azure J

Spencer is weird to me. Like I really like his gimmick (ziplines) and I "get" why he hits hard, but damn if it doesn't feel like he's this games AE Fei Long at times. He just bullies his way to wins.

[/says this as someone who played Makoto & Fei predominantly in AE]

Grecco

Im baffled as to why Spencers on streams open up people i keep using him and get bodied. His buttons are terrible so you will get beat out if you throw them out.

Dahbomb

Im baffled as to why Spencers on streams open up people i keep using him and get bodied. His buttons are terrible so you will get beat out if you throw them out.
I am too, on paper he is no where near as good as he is played in the tournaments. People just go in with him and throw out his normals like they are Wesker normals. I guess people are too scared of the Bionic Arm to do anything against him although his j.H is seriously strong with that fat hit stun it has.

The Spencer secret is 2L or anti-air command grab. Also, I finally got a 1million+ damage combo with Spencer off a 2L for no meter and no x-factor. Kinda cool.

Shockwave -> Proton Cannon
Shockwave -> Million Dollars (XFC, teleport, etc.)
Shockwave -> Legion (XFC, teleport, etc.)

Aside from Dormammu and Akuma, those are your options if you want something like that.

Log Trap is nice, but Sentinel isn't fast enough to hit confirm off of it if he happens to be in the air. I don't think I ever felt threatened by Log Trap in our matches. I feel like Sentinel does best with an assist that has long-term screen presence.

Well, I fucked up a lot too. Log trap is really good at happy birthdays, and Dante and Strider aren't that cool with Magneto. I want a team that's good t punishing assists while putting Magneto front and center. And I can't do storm anything.

Azure J

You know what's a godlike button? Dante's cr.M. How have I never thought about using it's range and surprising active time to catch people that just want to rush in on you?

Zissou

After some thinking, I’d like to try a morrigan/doom team, so I’ve been thinking about a bunch of different possible configurations. I was trying to figure out the pros and cons of the combinations I’ve been considering. I didn’t list universal cons, like if doom is last, my anchor is kind of meh, which doesn’t need mentioning every time.

-----

Strider/Morrigan/Doom or Morrigan/Doom/Strider
Pros: Strider has high mobility on point, can use him to control the start of the match well to get Morrigan in safely. If I can get him into the anchor position (or start him there), I have doom backed by vajra if morrigan dies and dark strider waiting in the wings. If someone blows their load and nukes doom, vajra can substitute for hidden missiles well for maintaing control of the air.

Cons: Strider might die instantly if started first. Strider anchor likely will have little meter to work with. Doom without some kind of lockdown assist like sentinel or ammy probably won’t be able to do a whole lot on his own (even though strider helps him quite a bit).

Morrigan/Doom/Ammy
Pros: Doom is set-up well to still do well if Morrigan dies. Ammy assist could also help Morrigan start offense when necessary. Ammy anchor can be solid.

Cons: Morrigan starting means possibly losing her in the opening gambit. My ammy sucks really bad.

Deadpool/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Deadpool can play solid keep-away backed by missiles. Has pretty good mobility at the start of the round with his double jump/wall jump/teleport stuff. I like deadpool.

Cons: Team is very one-dimensional. Deadpool’s zoning is much more susceptible to teleporters getting behind him and ruining his day. If deadpool ends up in slot 2 or 3 mid match, his assists don’t help anyone else on the team very much.

Iron Man/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Strong neutral game. His mid range zoning can be annoying with repulsor blast -> spread and his good normals while either locking down with doom missiles or building meter with morrigan assist. If I get him out safely when I start morrigan zoning, repulsor blast seems like it would be a good assist.

Cons: I would have to learn how to use Iron Man.

Dante/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Dante is a strong versatile character to start the match with. Has great assists. If the opponent also tries to zone, I can do million carats or twister to safely call dark harmonizer over and over again.

Cons: Not sure how much dante could call hidden missiles assist against many members of the cast.

Magneto/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Magneto is very strong, and mags backed by hidden missiles has been proven.

Cons: Would have to learn magneto.

-----

Of these teams, I like the deadpool and strider versions the most. Not because they’re the best, but because I think I’d enjoy playing them the most and they wouldn’t involve learning a brand new character for a side team. Thoughts?

Azure J

Re: How often you can call missiles with Dante

Keep Calm and Twister/Tempest On. Seriously, learn to cover your assist calls with that special, the payoff is immense. Also, as much as you'll get hate for this, Vergil/Doom/Morrigan is a great team. Just make sure you can play footsies well or are good with SOU SOU SOU.

Morrigan/Doom/Phoenix
pros: TAC any direction to gain 3.5 bars in a combo, then runaway with doom calling harmonizer once to build 5th meter, fireballs + missiles is good, dark phoenix is good, you still have Morrigan/Doom when DP dies
cons: no astral vision until phoenix dies, you need to blow your load to punish assists

Morrigan/Doom/Phoenix
pros: TAC any direction to gain 3.5 bars in a combo, then runaway with doom calling harmonizer once to build 5th meter, fireballs + missiles is good, dark phoenix is good, you still have Morrigan/Doom when DP dies
cons: no astral vision until phoenix dies, you need to blow your load to punish assists

Didn't Chris G tried this team and gave up on it pretty quick?

Dahbomb

Someone made this on SRK and seeing as how I play both these characters I laughed my ass off:

ssf4.png

Re: How often you can call missiles with Dante

Keep Calm and Twister/Tempest On. Seriously, learn to cover your assist calls with that special, the payoff is immense. Also, as much as you'll get hate for this, Vergil/Doom/Morrigan is a great team. Just make sure you can play footsies well or are good with SOU SOU SOU.
That sounds like a lovely free Chaotic Flame 2 for 1 deal to me.

Morrigan/Doom/Phoenix
I think Morrigan has a rough start that makes this difficult. There's a reason ChrisG runs Akuma on point and works his way to Morrigan.

After some thinking, I’d like to try a morrigan/doom team, so I’ve been thinking about a bunch of different possible configurations. I was trying to figure out the pros and cons of the combinations I’ve been considering. I didn’t list universal cons, like if doom is last, my anchor is kind of meh, which doesn’t need mentioning every time.

-----

Strider/Morrigan/Doom or Morrigan/Doom/Strider
Pros: Strider has high mobility on point, can use him to control the start of the match well to get Morrigan in safely. If I can get him into the anchor position (or start him there), I have doom backed by vajra if morrigan dies and dark strider waiting in the wings. If someone blows their load and nukes doom, vajra can substitute for hidden missiles well for maintaing control of the air.

Cons: Strider might die instantly if started first. Strider anchor likely will have little meter to work with. Doom without some kind of lockdown assist like sentinel or ammy probably won’t be able to do a whole lot on his own (even though strider helps him quite a bit).

Morrigan/Doom/Ammy
Pros: Doom is set-up well to still do well if Morrigan dies. Ammy assist could also help Morrigan start offense when necessary. Ammy anchor can be solid.

Cons: Morrigan starting means possibly losing her in the opening gambit. My ammy sucks really bad.

Deadpool/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Deadpool can play solid keep-away backed by missiles. Has pretty good mobility at the start of the round with his double jump/wall jump/teleport stuff. I like deadpool.

Cons: Team is very one-dimensional. Deadpool’s zoning is much more susceptible to teleporters getting behind him and ruining his day. If deadpool ends up in slot 2 or 3 mid match, his assists don’t help anyone else on the team very much.

Iron Man/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Strong neutral game. His mid range zoning can be annoying with repulsor blast -> spread and his good normals while either locking down with doom missiles or building meter with morrigan assist. If I get him out safely when I start morrigan zoning, repulsor blast seems like it would be a good assist.

Cons: I would have to learn how to use Iron Man.

Dante/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Dante is a strong versatile character to start the match with. Has great assists. If the opponent also tries to zone, I can do million carats or twister to safely call dark harmonizer over and over again.

Cons: Not sure how much dante could call hidden missiles assist against many members of the cast.

Magneto/Morrigan/Doom
Pros: Magneto is very strong, and mags backed by hidden missiles has been proven.

Cons: Would have to learn magneto.

-----

Of these teams, I like the deadpool and strider versions the most. Not because they’re the best, but because I think I’d enjoy playing them the most and they wouldn’t involve learning a brand new character for a side team. Thoughts?
Deadpool, Magneto, Strider, or Ammy. I think Deadpool is a great bet. Teleporters shouldn't be a problem thanks to Hidden Missiles.

Well, I fucked up a lot too. Log trap is really good at happy birthdays, and Dante and Strider aren't that cool with Magneto. I want a team that's good t punishing assists while putting Magneto front and center. And I can't do storm anything.
How can you Magneto but not Storm?

I am too, on paper he is no where near as good as he is played in the tournaments. People just go in with him and throw out his normals like they are Wesker normals. I guess people are too scared of the Bionic Arm to do anything against him although his j.H is seriously strong with that fat hit stun it has.
It's the pressure. A free in that is +8 on block? Gah!

Someone made this on SRK and seeing as how I play both these characters I laughed my ass off:

ssf4.png
Oh man, that's good. What was with ChrisG never using Rapid Slash?

Dahbomb

Doesn't the zip line frame advantage dependant on the distance?

ChrisG wasn't using Rapid Slash because his game play with Vergil wasn't to mix up into combo he was basically just playing him like Spiral. Burning meter to sustain a lockdown. As long as you were blocking, he was in control because you were taking chip.

Doesn't the zip line frame advantage dependant on the distance?

ChrisG wasn't using Rapid Slash because his game play with Vergil wasn't to mix up into combo he was basically just playing him like Spiral. Burning meter to sustain a lockdown. As long as you were blocking, he was in control because you were taking chip.
It's hard to say, since close-up zips take less time than far-away zips. Maybe it all evens out? It feels like it does when I fight against Spencer. I definitely don't feel like I have frame advantage when he closes in from the air.

Do you think ChrisG was attempting to Rapid Slash when he did the dp.M move a few times, and just biffed up the input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom