• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

cowboysmile5zb33.gif

Marvel teams are about to start on the main CEO stream.

Solune

The problem with Tron and Haggar's invincible assists is that they favor quick characters over slow ones. Characters like Dormammu and Hulk don't have any response at all to Haggar, whereas a character like Wolverine can zip around to bait it, making it more balanced. They were so good that Evo had one in each team, and things would only have gotten worse from there. In general, I feel as though Marvel should reward offensive play, not turtling (I consider keepaway/zoning to still be offensive).

I just want slight nerfs to each!

Ouch on the EM Disruptor nerf. If I had to choose three more characters it would be Magneto/Vergil/Hulk for nerfing. I know most people wouldn't agree with Hulk, but I think super armor on Gamma Charge is too good. Why are you buffing Vajra? -_-

Lame!

I suppose it was alot to ask haha but I don't know, we hardly see Tron anymore other than the occasional Japanese one. And Haggar is still pretty good (backed up) so meh. Although when you argue about it that way, it does make sense that it's a cheap way to get in AND get out in a tough situation without having to defend smartly. Agreed that offensive play should be rewarded, I think that I have a new found appreciation for zoning due to MvC3, because I hate(still hate) Cable + Captain Corridor in MvC2 and he killed the game for me until MSP primarily dominated.

Yah I think I was a bit harsh on Magneto, maybe to Disruptor M? Also why do you think Hulk needs nerfing? I feel that because hes susceptible to IA attacks and in general not mobile that it balances out, he's a slightly higher damaging Sentinel but with no mobility at all.

Also now that I think about it haha, maybe Vajra should just be soft knockdown period.

Dahbomb

Phoenix Wright + Doom vs Morrigan + Doom

Discuss. I think Wright's got this if he gets the right evidence pool.

Ok the font is back to normal size now, I noticed it now.

karma for EMD frame data. >:-(
-24! It's ingrained in my skull. I'm getting a tattoo of it tomorrow. In fact, I'm going to make a thread about it on GameFAQs...I just did!

cowboysmile5zb33.gif

Marvel teams are about to start on the main CEO stream.
Hahaha. Thanks for letting me know. Tuning in!

I suppose it was alot to ask haha but I don't know, we hardly see Tron anymore other than the occasional Japanese one. And Haggar is still pretty good (backed up) so meh. Although when you argue about it that way, it does make sense that it's a cheap way to get in AND get out in a tough situation without having to defend smartly. Agreed that offensive play should be rewarded, I think that I have a new found appreciation for zoning due to MvC3, because I hate(still hate) Cable + Captain Corridor in MvC2 and he killed the game for me until MSP primarily dominated.

Yah I think I was a bit harsh on Magneto, maybe to Disruptor M? Also why do you think Hulk needs nerfing? I feel that because hes susceptible to IA attacks and in general not mobile that it balances out, he's a slightly higher damaging Sentinel but with no mobility at all.

Also now that I think about it haha, maybe Vajra should just be soft knockdown period.
Tron needs some adjustments, and I think she either needs her capture attack as an assist or a unique assist. Maybe she could have a "max power" Gustaff Fire that blows at a 45-degree angle across the screen. Sort of a funky Jam Session that shuts down tri-dashers.

I also thought about two more things that pissed me off about Vanilla Tron/Haggar's assists:
1) What's a reset? If your opponent has Haggar/Tron, it's a combo that ends in you getting comboed.

2) Every Tron/Haggar player mashes their assist during your combos, so if you mess up anything you lose a character.

Hulk's Gamma Charge is all the mobility he needs. What other character had an armored command dash with a hitbox on it? The only reason he doesn't rock in tournaments is no one competent plays him. Every stream I watch is just terrible Hulk players. I also think Haggar is underrated. The top GFAQs player is a Haggar main (like, really uses him, unlike Smurfx) and is going to Evo. I hope he at least makes it to top 32 to give the world a lesson.

Agreed on Vajra.

Phoenix Wright + Doom vs Morrigan + Doom

Discuss. I think Wright's got this if he gets the right evidence pool.

Ok the font is back to normal size now, I noticed it now.
The Maya shield lasts based on damage. It depends on how fast Morrigan can take it down.

smurfx

get some go again
man after playing a billion vergils online i think i'm with whoever said that they should make swordoborous a level 2 or nerf the durability. its seriously one of the dumbest hypers in the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
man after playing a billion vergils online i think i'm with whoever said that they should make swordoborous a level 2 or nerf the durability. its seriously one of the dumbest hypers in the game.

it kinda is. It required two bars to do that; srk + two attacks then hcf + S+A. Unless you are talking about other hyper.

Dahbomb

The follow ups have superior mix ups and allow you to mix up for a really long time. Blistering Swords basically triples the lock down time from the swords.

They aren't useless it's just that no one uses them outside of a few players (some top Japanese players use Blistering Swords and any decent Vergil player uses Storm Swords in anchor 1v1 situations). Vergil has his only high/low mix up with Blistering Swords.

Spiral Swords is superior to them because it acts like a high durable shield around him which allows him to by pass almost every zoning option in the game except for some powerful beam hypers. The durability on those swords is way too high.

If you make Spiral Swords 2 meter you further make his formations limited in usage (I mean 3 meter for Blistering/Storm, even at 2 meter they are costly). Capcom needs to nerf SS without actually upping it's cost, whether direct or indirect.

The follow ups have superior mix ups and allow you to mix up for a really long time. Blistering Swords basically triples the lock down time from the swords.

They aren't useless it's just that no one uses them outside of a few players (some top Japanese players use Blistering Swords and any decent Vergil player uses Storm Swords in anchor 1v1 situations). Vergil has his only high/low mix up with Blistering Swords.

Spiral Swords is superior to them because it acts like a high durable shield around him which allows him to by pass almost every zoning option in the game except for some powerful beam hypers. The durability on those swords is way too high.

If you make Spiral Swords 2 meter you further make his formations limited in usage (I mean 3 meter for Blistering/Storm, even at 2 meter they are costly). Capcom needs to nerf SS without actually upping it's cost, whether direct or indirect.
My original suggestion was to just swap Blistering and Spiral.

I'm also opening to giving it a much larger startup time (on par with Astral Vision) and having it not interact with projectiles at all.

Edit: Also, you know what this game needs? More pinning assists that don't push your opponent back. Or for Chun-li to not suck, or something. My options for Firebrand unblockables are seriously small.

Damn, and did anyone check the art out for Devil's Playground?
http://shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/20120404111918370.jpg

http://shoryuken.com/2012/06/15/dev...r-singles-tournament-streaming-this-saturday/

Whew!

Also found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=soxZt6xl0p4

Teleporting without a character on the screen does weird things.

Dahbomb

Blistering Swords for 1 bar would be broke. 2nd suggestion is much better, I am still in favor of reducing durability and increasing start up.

A bigger problem is the damage Vergil gets off of Spiral Sword loops and that's because of 3 things: cr.H being a soft knockdown on hit, Lunar Phase doing 50K damage even after max scaling and the cumulative damage of all the special moves in the long combo plus their meter gain. These 3 things have to be adjusted on the character so that he doesn't kill 1 million health character starting with 10% meter, probably even less now because I haven't kept up with the most optimum Vergil combo for a while. It's also completely BS that he gets to kill characters from air throws and off of Rapid Slash, a special move that you have to burn meter into Spiral Swords which is already scaled to max.

Wouldn't be surprised if Vergil got the Dante treatment in the patch. Only replace Hammer with Spiral Swords. Beehive = Lunar Phase, sword hit boxes, special damage scaling, meter gain etc.

More pinning assists that don't push your opponent back.
Repulsor Blast.

Blistering Swords for 1 bar would be broke. 2nd suggestion is much better, I am still in favor of reducing durability and increasing start up.

A bigger problem is the damage Vergil gets off of Spiral Sword loops and that's because of 3 things: cr.H being a soft knockdown on hit, Lunar Phase doing 50K damage even after max scaling and the cumulative damage of all the special moves in the long combo plus their meter gain. These 3 things have to be adjusted on the character so that he doesn't kill 1 million health character starting with 10% meter, probably even less now because I haven't kept up with the most optimum Vergil combo for a while.

Wouldn't be surprised if Vergil got the Dante treatment in the patch. Only replace Hammer with Spiral Swords. Beehive = Lunar Phase, sword hit boxes, special damage scaling, meter gain etc.
Spiral Swords becoming a level 2 was supposed to solve the damage problem, but I dig ya. As long as I can punish a naked Spiral Swords post-cinematic screen with Chaotic Flame, I'm happy.

Repulsor Blast.
Damn it, I know! He's a terrible anchor though. I'm even warming up to Iron Man in general, but as an anchor? Blach, I can't do that. I might as well use Dr. Doom, who less ass in XF3. Plus if I had Iron Man I'd be like "hmmm, Unibeam for Dormammu...". I'll mess with Repulsor Blast in training mode tomorrow anyway, because I don't know how it works for the Firebrand unblockable, and I really should.

Dahbomb

IMO it's the best overall assist for the Firebrand unblockable. When they tech from a corner after a hard knockdown, they get into the Repulsor Blast and if they block it, they get hit by the unblockable. Covers in coming mix ups as well too plus if you get a random Repulsor to hit Firebrand can easily convert off of it.

Might as well start using IM now before they buff him in the patch......

IMO it's the best overall assist for the Firebrand unblockable. When they tech from a corner after a hard knockdown, they get into the Repulsor Blast and if they block it, they get hit by the unblockable. Covers in coming mix ups as well too plus if you get a random Repulsor to hit Firebrand can easily convert off of it.

Dark Hole is the best because it's attached to a good character

Wait, "if they block"? Does the unblockable not work if my opponent eats Repulsor Blast? Because it's not worth anything if that's the case. Regardless, I need to test it in these situations:
1) Stalking Flare setup
2) Snapbacks (should catch all characters or it's worthless)
3) c.LMH -> unblockable + Repulsor Blast

If it can't function in at least 2/3 of those settings, it has no value to me.

Dark Hole is the best because it's attached to a good character
Haha.

Solune

Really? Because I thought it was because my opponent was too close to the corner. Damn, not I'm really confused. Yeah, if you'd upload some videos that would be awesome, because I'm not understanding how this is working for you but not for me (and it's my damn character! lol). Thanks a lot for working with me on this.
So Karst, I apologize but I was sorely mistaken. Air Bon Voyage does NOT activate the DHC glitch at all. I just assumed or was doing Ground Bon Voyage the entire time... At least we know now I suppose. Anyways here's the video I promised of the various hit confirms. I botched the first combo and the third combo is not optimized. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhMAeSiJq10&feature=youtu.be
Tron needs some adjustments, and I think she either needs her capture attack as an assist or a unique assist. Maybe she could have a "max power" Gustaff Fire that blows at a 45-degree angle across the screen. Sort of a funky Jam Session that shuts down tri-dashers.

I also thought about two more things that pissed me off about Vanilla Tron/Haggar's assists:
1) What's a reset? If your opponent has Haggar/Tron, it's a combo that ends in you getting comboed.

2) Every Tron/Haggar player mashes their assist during your combos, so if you mess up anything you lose a character.

Hulk's Gamma Charge is all the mobility he needs. What other character had an armored command dash with a hitbox on it? The only reason he doesn't rock in tournaments is no one competent plays him. Every stream I watch is just terrible Hulk players. I also think Haggar is underrated. The top GFAQs player is a Haggar main (like, really uses him, unlike Smurfx) and is going to Evo. I hope he at least makes it to top 32 to give the world a lesson.

Agreed on Vajra.
Stop being so intelligent :lol. Now that you put it that way, "combo" breakers just suck in general so I guess it was for the best that the nerf went. I suppose it was used in a way that the developer didn't intend, so if you want to use that character you have to put in work, much like Chun-Li.

As for Hulk, Charging Star and Shield Skills come to mind, though they aren't super armored they have some resistant properties and Shield Skill pisses me the fuck off. Taskmaster actually is one of the few characters that manages to make me super salty.
Agreed that Hulk is underrated, especially on point. Airtola puts in alot of work with him though, and that Japanese player from Vanilla. I wonder if he's made the transition to Ultimate...
mmmmmn delicious Morrigan
Whew!

Also found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=soxZt6xl0p4

Teleporting without a character on the screen does weird things.
Wow I watched that like a dozen times and I still don't get it.

He's just an assist bitch to you, last time I checked.

So Karst, I apologize but I was sorely mistaken. Air Bon Voyage does NOT activate the DHC glitch at all. I just assumed or was doing Ground Bon Voyage the entire time... At least we know now I suppose. Anyways here's the video I promised of the various hit confirms. I botched the first combo and the third combo is not optimized.
You forgot the video, haha. Ah, so it was air Bon Voyage that was causing the problem? Very interesting, I wonder why that is. If only Desk had an account here...

Edit: Ah, you fixed it - thank you very much sir!

Also, a small tip if you ever plan on using Firebrand in a match: jump above your opponent before doing Dark Fire. It squeezes another ~20K damage out of the hyper.

Stop being so intelligent :lol. Now that you put it that way, "combo" breakers just suck in general so I guess it was for the best that the nerf went. I suppose it was used in a way that the developer didn't intend, so if you want to use that character you have to put in work, much like Chun-Li.
Yeah, Hidden Missiles carried my terrible self for a while in Vanilla. That and Sentinel Force were huge crutches that I had to do away with. Dark Harmonizer has done worlds for my general skill in the game, because I have absolutely nothing to aid my neutral game.

As for Hulk, Charging Star and Shield Skills come to mind, though they aren't super armored they have some resistant properties and Shield Skill pisses me the fuck off. Taskmaster actually is one of the few characters that manages to make me super salty.
Agreed that Hulk is underrated, especially on point. Airtola puts in alot of work with him though, and that Japanese player from Vanilla. I wonder if he's made the transition to Ultimate...
Taskmaster is as free to Dormammu as Doom is. I can just Purification x Stalking Flare all day and the poor sod can't do anything about it. I think part of the reason Hulk pisses me off is everything he does is technically "safe" thanks to Gamma Crush. And Sentinel Force just makes him goddamn annoying.

Wow I watched that like a dozen times and I still don't get it.
It's actually really simple, he's just doing Air Trick into The Hammer. If there are no characters on the screen, "behind you" teleports act really funny and put you somewhere off in space. IIRC, pre-release Stalking Flare used to wander off-screen to chase after the incoming character before he-she showed up. It was pretty funny because people didn't understand what it was doing, and thought it was just leaving for the day - hahahaha!

smurfx

get some go again
He's just an assist bitch to you, last time I checked.
no he's not. i've been using him a ton. in fact he's probably my most used character these past couple of months. although i change up my order depending on the matchups. if its against point wesker i always start haggar and just walk up to him and throw his ass and usually kill him. in fact i use haggar against most teleport point characters and also against hulk and spencer.

Damn Solune, that fourth combo has me all excited. Nice find! I think every Firebrand player will appreciate that discovery (Demon Missile M), because I'm pretty sure it's new. I'm still super confused about why aerial Bon Voyage doesn't work, though. Also, if you care at all, the proper follow-up to Dark Fire -> Stalking Flare is to charge 1D1C and release it. Adds about 80K damage and lets you leads into another hyper. Sometimes I do Purification if my opponent is already on low health though, because it keeps the flare on the screen, and then I raw tag Firebrand in to use it for an unblockable on the next incoming character.

no he's not. i've been using him a ton. in fact he's probably my most used character these past couple of months. although i change up my order depending on the matchups. if its against point wesker i always start haggar and just walk up to him and throw his ass and usually kill him. in fact i use haggar against most teleport point characters and also against hulk and spencer.
Ah okay. Every time I've seen you on stream he's on the anchor position just being thrown out there for the assist.

Edit: I swear SRK's website just gets shittier with every revision. Those forums choke my computer to death.

smurfx

get some go again
Ah okay. Every time I've seen you on stream he's on the anchor position just being thrown out there for the assist.
well i'm used to playing against these guys so i know i can catch them with haggar. most of the time i'm using point haggar. although i do alternate with point hawkeye since i am still learning him.

Solune

You forgot the video, haha. Ah, so it was air Bon Voyage that was causing the problem? Very interesting, I wonder why that is. If only Desk had an account here...

Edit: Ah, you fixed it - thank you very much sir!

Also, a small tip if you ever plan on using Firebrand in a match: jump above your opponent before doing Dark Fire. It squeezes another ~20K damage out of the hyper.
Yah I've tried it over and over but Air Bon Voyage does not activate the glitch, very interesting. Also I'll keep that tip in mind!
Yeah, Hidden Missiles carried my terrible self for a while in Vanilla. That and Sentinel Force were huge crutches that I had to do away with. Dark Harmonizer has done worlds for my general skill in the game, because I have absolutely nothing to aid my neutral game.
It's funny on the topic of Hulk, he was my crutch until I switched to Dante in Vanilla. And also ironically, I used plasma beam assist as my crutch when I switched to Spencer/Doom and felt I should use missiles instead since it stacks Spencer's damage dramatically.
Taskmaster is as free to Dormammu as Doom is. I can just Purification x Stalking Flare all day and the poor sod can't do anything about it. I think part of the reason Hulk pisses me off is everything he does is technically "safe" thanks to Gamma Crush. And Sentinel Force just makes him goddamn annoying.
But what about when Taskmaster is mid screen and you're both neutral? I would say there are 3 things he's going to do, Shield Skills, Spidey Swing, or Dash back to gain ground which puts him at a disadvantage to Dorm. But against other RTSD teams, you can't really push a button against him and have to back off or wait for your assist. Hulk can sort of do the same thing but it's not entirely safe depending on what he did. With Hulk and super armor characters, it's all about capitalizing on errors so I think the super armor is justified since unless they are willing to spend the meter they are easier to punish or open up. You're not supposed to push buttons, that's why they have command throws after all.

It's actually really simple, he's just doing Air Trick into The Hammer. If there are no characters on the screen, "behind you" teleports act really funny and put you somewhere off in space. IIRC, pre-release Stalking Flare used to wander off-screen to chase after the incoming character before he-she showed up. It was pretty funny because people didn't understand what it was doing, and thought it was just leaving for the day - hahahaha!
Oh I understand that he's teleporting but, does the person doing Air Trick even know which side he's going to be when the incoming character pops in?
Damn Solune, that fourth combo has me all excited. Nice find! I think every Firebrand player will appreciate that discovery (Demon Missile M), because I'm pretty sure it's new. I'm still super confused about why aerial Bon Voyage doesn't work, though. Also, if you care at all, the proper follow-up to Dark Fire -> Stalking Flare is to charge 1D1C and release it. Adds about 80K damage and lets you leads into another hyper. Sometimes I do Purification if my opponent is already on low health though, because it keeps the flare on the screen, and then I raw tag Firebrand in to use it for an unblockable on the next incoming character.
The fourth combo is pretty cool, it's too bad Bon Voyage scales it alot since it does alot of raw damage. The only thing is making it consistent ... If it wasn't obvious it took me a few attempts to make it work so it may not be a BnB setup, but like I said before as far as I know, it's the only way to crossup the opponent while getting a full combo into the DHC glitch. Since C.H causes Firebrand to crossup the opponent when cancelled into Bon Voyage sometimes, it will auto correct and setup the opponent for the DHC, but it's unreliable since it varies per character.

Also I will keep the information with the team in mind, though I primarily use Dormammu with Wesker for the THC synergy. And my Dormammy is ASS :lol

I'll be getting UMvC3 for the PS3 tomorrow with some luck. Can't wait to play the game again on a better pad.
Excellent!

Yah I've tried it over and over but Air Bon Voyage does not activate the glitch, very interesting. Also I'll keep that tip in mind!
Despite it not working for you or for me, I want to not believe you because it's just so confusing haha.

It's funny on the topic of Hulk, he was my crutch until I switched to Dante in Vanilla. And also ironically, I used plasma beam assist as my crutch when I switched to Spencer/Doom and felt I should use missiles instead since it stacks Spencer's damage dramatically.
It's really awkward when I try a new Dormammu team out, because I'm not used to having assists. I throw way too many hypers out there because I'm not used to needing more meter. Then when I go back to Morrigan I don't play well because I'm assuming assists will cover me.

But what about when Taskmaster is mid screen and you're both neutral? I would say there are 3 things he's going to do, Shield Skills, Spidey Swing, or Dash back to gain ground which puts him at a disadvantage to Dorm. But against other RTSD teams, you can't really push a button against him and have to back off or wait for your assist. Hulk can sort of do the same thing but it's not entirely safe depending on what he did. With Hulk and super armor characters, it's all about capitalizing on errors so I think the super armor is justified since unless they are willing to spend the meter they are easier to punish or open up. You're not supposed to push buttons, that's why they have command throws after all.
By mid-screen, do you mean I'm in range of Shield Skills? Basically, if I'm in range of Shield Skills, my goal is to get some room and lay down Flame Carpet. Sometimes I'll rush Taskmaster, but not often because his hitboxes can be pretty beefy. Random launchers aren't a terrible idea because they beat out both Shield Skills and Spidey Swing in priority. Sometimes I'll do superjumps straight back down into j.M as a way to cover a large area and be relatively safe. I try and find a good time to teleport and start getting away, though. Taskmaster also isn't great at opening characters up, so sometimes I'll just block stuff and see what he does. The only way I'm getting hit is if Taskmaster goes for a ground throw.

If by mid-screen, you mean not in the range of Shield Skills, then I'll often Purification or Dark Hole L into Stalking Flare. I don't care if it hits Taskmaster, it's just there to absorb his arrows, assists, and any kind of approach while Stalking Flare winds up.

Also, this may sound weird, but pushblocking is one of Dormammu's greatest weapons. Chaotic Flame, IIRC, is the second fastest beam hyper in the game. If I face a Wesker player, I often just let him come at me, pushblock, and then Chaotic Flame as his next attack in the blockstring whiffs. Works well against any character that tends to have long blockstrings that don't push them forward.

Oh I understand that he's teleporting but, does the person doing Air Trick even know which side he's going to be when the incoming character pops in?
It's consistent, and I think it puts him in front automatically because the character hasn't shown up yet and still has to come from that side.

The fourth combo is pretty cool, it's too bad Bon Voyage scales it alot since it does alot of raw damage. The only thing is making it consistent ... If it wasn't obvious it took me a few attempts to make it work so it may not be a BnB setup, but like I said before as far as I know, it's the only way to crossup the opponent while getting a full combo into the DHC glitch. Since C.H causes Firebrand to crossup the opponent when cancelled into Bon Voyage sometimes, it will auto correct and setup the opponent for the DHC, but it's unreliable since it varies per character.
The damage is actually pretty good. IIRC combo 4 did something like 400K. Firebrand's 1 meter bnb caps out at around 600K, and more realistically gets around 550K, so I think that's a good place to be in. I actually got a little offended when some people on SRK said that the setup costs two meters, and is thus too expensive. I'd love to know what 1-meter Firebrand kills they are using, hahaha!

However, what this setup REALLY means for me is this:
Before, I could snap in characters without aerial mobility and get a free combo. Unless I wanted to burn meter on Dark Fire, it was just 400K damage and then I had to go for a reset. So, while it was good, it wasn't great. Now that 400K damage is 1 million damage! Sure, it costs meter, but Firebrand is building most of it, and I tend to have excess. This should mean that any team that has Vergil second means Vergil won't see play at all if I get the first hit, most importantly. That's one pain in the ass anti-Dormammu character down!

I also have some wicked snap-in setups that don't involve Dark Hole at all, for characters that have escapes (at least 2/3s of the cast). My favorite is using aerial Bon Voyage right as my opponent's character comes in. Immediately after they block, go for an air throw since you're right beneath them. It's pretty hard for people to block and then tech throw immediately after consistently.

I actually don't like doing the snapback infinite because at some point I tend to mess up, and Firebrand tends to die. Now my opponent has two characters at like 50% health and I have a dead one. Not a good position, in my opinion.

Also I will keep the information with the team in mind, though I primarily use Dormammu with Wesker for the THC synergy. And my Dormammy is ASS :lol
Feel free to post a video if you want an armchair critique.

shaowebb

Odd question, but right now who do you think has the best Spiderman out of players likely heading out to EVO?

I was watching some old matches and, even though he lost the rest of the rounds to Marlinpie's Doom, iNerd was able to OCV Marlinpie's entire team with Spidey and it looked like it was because folks don't know the matchup that well to avoid all those crazy hit confirms. I'd like to know who everyone thinks has the best Spidey right now since those matches seem like they get some unexpected turn arounds in them and generate some excitement for me to watch.

Man Solune, I spent all morning trying to think about how to maximize Firebrand's combos. I feel like I have a good setup except for if I get a Bon Voyage combo starter while my opponent is in the corner and when I get a full-screen Bon Voyage. Your setups are definitely good starters, though. I feel like there's more to squeeze out of them.

This is the best I've gotten so far off of a corner Bon Voyage:
qcf.S, s.M, c.M, s.H + Dark Hole, qcf.L, dash, j.d+H, qcf.L, s.H, qcf.S

I know I'm being silly, but I'm irritated that I can't get a Dark Harmonizer call during all of that. -_- There must be something more to squeeze out. It's hard not to do things that move my opponent too close to mid-screen, where Stalking Flare will actually connect in the DHC.

Full-screen I still don't have much. I can't link off of Demon Missile M for the life of me. 20 tries and not one success. If you didn't have it on video I wouldn't think it's possible, hahaha! But I did find three neat things from a full-screen Bon Voyage:
1) Demon Missile H connects off of a full-screen Bon Voyage, and from that you can dive kick into a full combo. It's not helpful for this setup or even in general since it uses up both your ground and wallbounce without much to show for it, but maybe someone will figure out something more from that bit.

2) Dashing forward and doing Demon Missile L + Dark Hole works, and then I can Hell Dive M into j.S into a full combo.

3) Dashing forward and doing Demon Missile M + Dark Hole works. So I'm not too annoyed that I can't link Demon Missile M now that I have this, haha. Demon Missile M alone would be better though.

I'd like to be able to build a bar for the setup no matter where I start from, no matter what I start off of. Today was a good day though, I made progress! Thanks a lot for those videos, they got me thinking. I also spent some time tinkering with non-Morrigan assists, and nothing really tickled my fancy when I kept in mind that I actually have to play the character if I lose Firebrand and Dormammu, and I also have to use Dormammu + that character alone. The closest I have is Dr. Strange, since I think he's fun to play but is goddamn terrible.

Oh, and what's with Repulsor Blast? Everyone says Firebrand gets unblockables off of it, but I couldn't find a single setup that worked, even after a snapback. If you set the AI to always jump, there's always time between the end of Repulsor Blast and the swoop it seems. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but all I do is Firebrand unblockables when I play, so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing (haha).

Assists that worked well for unblockables, though some are trickier than others:
Sentinel Force
Arthur's Bottle Toss (charged up)
Eye of Aggamoto
Chun-li's Legs

Fun tech that I never see used (not sure if new):
If Firebrand does Hell Spitfire and cancels into Luminous Body, advancing Guard has no effect on him. I used this to try and keep opponents from air dashing after a snapback for the lockdown, but I can't think of any other use, and if they don't block the Hell Spitfire M I'm not sure if I can follow up (it honestly just occurred to me to try). If it does work, then Hell Spitfire M x Luminous Body, pinning assist + unblockable seems pretty solid. I'd have to mess with it more, though.

I guess since we're Pimpin' Sasa for being one of the only Spidey mains out there I'll post this in hopes that he trolls someone here with this combo on their last character.

Spiderman x-factor combos are hilariously troll-tier
Goddamn Spider-man...

lol we're getting too close to EVO, everybody's tier-whoring :D
Hahaha, no kidding!

@Dahbomb: Why don't I see people use Vergil's teleport M after getting Round Trip out there? People always seem to use teleport L and go for a blockstring, but if you just wait a second you can teleport M and have the sword cross-up on its way back. Are people just not using this fully, or is there a downfall I'm not seeing?

Dahbomb

People use Teleport M all the time and they also use Teleport H sometimes (Yipes does). Teleport H is pretty ambiguous because depending upon how they block/advance guard it you end up either in front or behind them in the air, prime for an assist mix up. Even doing Starfall at that height can get you a cross up.

Teleport L has less recovery and most people know about Teleport M so Teleport L ends up being the true mix up. After that people just do a block string into Rapid Slash. Also if you throw out Round Trip and then do Teleport M, then can hit you when you teleport in and it cancels out the hit box of the RT if you don't time it perfectly. If they block the RT then the mix up is irrelevant, you are better off going for teleport L in that case anyway.

Most ambiguous Vergil mix up is a Round Trip mix up in the corner because when RT comes back from off screen and you can get crossed up by an off screen projectile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom