• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

So, looking at how CEO did this past week in regards of having the UMVC3 tournament in a 3/5 format, has there been any update from Mr Wizard and the EVO staff on their decision on how Marvel is gonna go down?

I mean, having the Top 24 for AE as the main event for Sunday is kinda of a hint there...

If nothing has been said, I think this post as is should be forwarded to the right people via Twitter. The tournament was exceedingly well organized and also showed that 3/5 Marvel is the truth.

Grecco

Also, I'm wondering if Wesker belongs on anybody's team anymore. He just has so many bad matchups. I love his playstyle, but the metagame is moving to the point where all the most dominant characters just spit all over him.

Wesker on point is still a good character. He also makes Vergil and Spencer combos waaaaaaaaaay easier. Builds good meter, and has decent and interesting reset options. Why not play Wesker? Heck he can occasionaly give you that lvl 3 comeback (though obviously not as often)

Bizazedo

Going to jump on the "fuck Zero" train, too. I did better against Viscant, Fanatiq, and Houshen than I did against the 2 people I lost to in pools. I hate that match-up so much. It's completely dependent on the Zero player making a mistake and it's just so hard to force him to make one if the player is smart. I'm seriously considering picking him up myself just to improve my understanding of the shit that he does. Not a single Vergil, Magneto, Wesker, etc. that I faced all weekend frustrated me nearly as much.

I know your attitude about online, but our connection always seems very good and I doubt we'll be in the same pool at Evo, so you can pick a time and I'll play you with Zero til I drop dead if you want.

Also, I'm wondering if Wesker belongs on anybody's team anymore. He just has so many bad matchups. I love his playstyle, but the metagame is moving to the point where all the most dominant characters just spit all over him.

Yes, but people need to use his ground teleport more.

Also, I'll rip on Andre repeatedly because it's fun as hell, but the dude has a seriously legit Wesker. I'd argue it's the only reason he places as high as he does (I consider people playing poorly and getting hit by helm breaker the other reason).

Chavelo

I know your attitude about online, but our connection always seems very good and I doubt we'll be in the same pool at Evo, so you can pick a time and I'll play you with Zero til I drop dead if you want.

*puts a quarter on bottom of the CRT TV and stands behind, waiting patiently*

I'm using the most fraudulent Doom ever. The game is interesting enough for me if I can develop Morrigan and Ammy really well. I can't play until 9PM EST Monday through Thursday.
Hmmm. What about Friday-Sunday? I'm hesitant to play that late because of sleep for work, etc., and I like to have really long sets. It's once of the reasons I get frustrated playing Panda, the man only goes for like 10-15 games before leaving, it's very unsatisfying!

In other news, no one commented on MarlinPie using snap back against Spiral Swords to negate it. That actually works if he activates them right on you without putting you into block stun prior. He did it twice. Not a bad idea at all, a meter for a meter.
X-Factor plus a meter - doesn't seem like the best idea in a lot of situations. Though Ghost Rider can snap Vergil back any time he tries to activate Spiral Swords, haha.

Wesker is a top character, people have just been using his XF3 for a crutch. I think his best assist is undoubtedly Vajra, but you hardly ever see people put him on a team with Vajra. Wesker/Doom (Plasma Beam) / Strider (Vajra) is a contender for top team IMO. You're practically guaranteed to have 5 bars for Strider when he comes in, too.

Maybe this is a bit random, but I never get tired of hearing the characters call each other's name during tag outs or DHC's. One of my favorite parts of the game.
I sometimes get the urge to put certain characters on my team just because I like the way they say "Dormammu".

Maybe this is a bit random, but I never get tired of hearing the characters call each other's name during tag outs or DHC's. One of my favorite parts of the game.

JeTmAn81

Maybe I'm just salty about the Wesker/Zero matchup. I play Wesker on point, followed by Dante and Strider which is a great team but not really good against projectiles. Wesker actually does ok against Vergil, at least better than he does against Zero. But I'm feeling less and less confident in general in both Wesker and Strider to measure up against the other characters in the game. Did we see Wesker or Strider having much success in either of the last two majors?

mr. puppy

Banned
Too many counter pick teams in this game and counter strategies to label one team as the definitive best.

this game is basically pick your shell and a 3rd character that beats the other matchup. Its what ChrisG and FChamp have been doing recently with pretty good results.

Bizazedo

*puts a quarter on bottom of the CRT TV and stands behind, waiting patiently*

Just yell, I'm always around :).

Well, after 6 est anyways. (pm).

Honestly, the main thing that helped me against you were things like "Okay, he has Sentinel / Doom left, he's going to fly with Sent and then eventually call Doom and attack or attack and call Doom. He will do NOTHING until this setup is ready, so be prepared to counter it".

i.e., variation.

Maybe I'm just salty about the Wesker/Zero matchup. I play Wesker on point, followed by Dante and Strider which is a great team but not really good against projectiles. Wesker actually does ok against Vergil, at least better than he does against Zero. But I'm feeling less and less confident in general in both Wesker and Strider to measure up against the other characters in the game. Did we see Wesker or Strider having much success in either of the last two majors?

That team is awesome, Jet, having played a few others who use that exact lineup (or swap Dante and Wesker). Just run away until you're ready to call Vajra, don't attack unless you see a (real) opening.

In fact, against projectile heavy teams, maybe you should just swap Dante and Wesker.

It's been awhile since we played, though, and I don't remember you using that team. We need to, add me :p.

Ok, back on the UMvC3 bandwagon after a few weeks off. I think I want to try out a new team. Task is definitely my best / favorite character so any recommendations to build around him would be appreciated. Note I'm pure scrub tier so trying to avoid super technical characters.

Right now I'm thinking _________ / Task / Sent or ________ / Task / Wesker.

Been running with Nova / Task / Sent with solid results.

Ok, back on the UMvC3 bandwagon after a few weeks off. I think I want to try out a new team. Task is definitely my best / favorite character so any recommendations to build around him would be appreciated. Note I'm pure scrub tier so trying to avoid super technical characters.

Personally, I like Shuma-Gorath / Taskmaster / Dormammu or Shuma-Gorath / Taskmaster / She-Hulk.

Grecco

If you want Wesker/Task

try Wesker Task Akuma or Taskmaster Doom Wesker or Wesker Taskmaster Strider.

Chavelo

I rock Task/Sent/Doom. Missiles/Beam and Drones works great for Tasky, and the DHC options to Sent are pretty good.

Personally, I like Shuma-Gorath / Taskmaster / Dormammu or Shuma-Gorath / Taskmaster / She-Hulk.

I rocked She-Hulk / Task / Ryu forever but I've given up on them. Who would be a decent anchor if I swapped out Ryu for the first two?

Random question number 2, has some new tech or something been discovered for Shuma? I literally never saw him online for the first 2-3 months of the game's life but in the past week practically every other team I've faced used him.

I rocked She-Hulk / Task / Ryu forever but I've given up on them. Who would be a decent anchor if I swapped out Ryu for the first two?

Random question number 2, has some new tech or something been discovered for Shuma? I literally never saw him online for the first 2-3 months of the game's life but in the past week practically every other team I've faced used him.
It must be random luck. Shuma-Gorath is still pretty much a no-show in the fighting arena. He's not actually bad though, contrary to belief, so some use him. His assist is probably a top 5 assist, too.

If you're rocking She-Hulk/Taskmaster, it's hard not to say "Why not play Spencer?" I think a pinning assist of some sort would be good for your third. Amaterasu and Dormammu are both solid anchors.

JeTmAn81

Lol, and Andre chimes in:

"Andre Howard ‏@OmGiTzAndre
@MrWizardSRK @Pond3r mise well just make.it 2/3 then the whole tournament then...3/5 starting at QF and semis is stupid"

Azure J

this game is basically pick your shell and a 3rd character that beats the other matchup. Its what ChrisG and FChamp have been doing recently with pretty good results.

I feel this way sometimes, but then when I see stuff like Combofiend's team, I can't help but wonder how many three way synergies exist in this game that haven't been touched upon.

Bizazedo

For QF's and Semis?

It's irrelevant at that point. It does serve to make the stream more hype (and as a buddy of mine said, watching two scrubs duke it out 3/5 was not something he was excited about), but it does suck for those going to the tournament.

Solune

I actually hate using Dark Dimension. Every time I think "That's 3 Stalking Flares I don't get to throw out...ugh." Some characters are just so troublesome that it needs to be done.
Well I think burning meter for a level 3 is not something you want to do in general, but the option is there especially in those situations where you say "Just get rid of him".
This happens alot even in tournies where a DHC is going to kill. In those high stakes situations and clutch moments we sometimes criticize top players but in the rush of things it's just the thing that comes to mind.
I noticed something about Vergil combos being performed in CEO 2012. For the Spiral Sword loops (typically Lunar Phase, Round Trip, c.H into Judgment Cut L), I have been practicing doing a c.H at the end of the loop before going back into the swords again. That part is always tough for me, because it's a link with a pretty short window to perform it after Judgment Cut finishes. Justin, Flocker and others were just skipping that part and going straight into the swords! That makes it ten times easier to do. Those cheaters.

The Spiral Loop is really spacing and timing dependent. Typically before the first Spiral Loop it should end with C.H but sometimes depending on how Round Trip hits and when the first C.H hits, the Judgement cut will not juggle them correctly preventing you from doing the second C.H. This means you have to go into Spiral Swords early and sometimes you have to change the loop if they are too high because Lunar Phase will not hit correctly (Shoutouts to Andre for showing me so many times), which is 2 X Helm Breaker xx Roundtrip > C.H xx Judgement Cut.

Wesker is still good, Beam assist to cover him and another assist for mixups or lockdown like Vajra. Obviously like many people have mentioned he does ass against Zero and against other characters so it's probably better to have him second and hard tag in after a kill or DHC in for better matchus.

Also Justin leveled up his team massively, even though he was just doing basic combos he looked much more clean than at ECT.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

il6HXNVm4oDPa.png

JeTmAn81

Well I think burning meter for a level 3 is nothing something you want to do in general, but the option is there especially in those situations where you say "Just get rid of him".
This happens alot even in tournies where a DHC is going to kill. In those high stakes situations and clutch moments we sometimes criticize top players but in the rush of things it's just the thing that comes to mind.

I am actually surprised at how much more damage you can get by DHCing twice instead of doing a level 3. I was playing around with a Magneto/Dante/Sentinel team and ending a Magneto combo with Magnetic Tempest into Million Dollars into Plasma Storm instead of doing a Gravity Squeeze will give you around 300k extra damage for the same meter cost.

The Spiral Loop is really spacing and timing dependent. Typically before the first Spiral Loop it should end with C.H but sometimes depending on how Round Trip hits and when the first C.H hits, the Judgement cut will not juggle them correctly preventing you from doing the second C.H. This means you have to go into Spiral Swords early and sometimes you have to change the loop if they are too high because Lunar Phase will not hit correctly (Shoutouts to Andre for showing me so many times), which is 2 X Helm Breaker xx Roundtrip > C.H xx Judgement Cut.

I have noticed that it needs to be adjusted in certain situations. Like doing HSH (ground bounce) into Round Trip requires you to wait slightly longer to do c.H, Judgment Cut than if you had done it off a Lunar Phase. What I don't understand is what adjustments need to be made to make sure you can keep the loop going in the corner.

Wesker is still good, Beam assist to cover him and another assist for mixups or lockdown like Vajra. Obviously like many people have mentioned he does ass against Zero and against other characters so it's probably better to have him second and hard tag in after a kill or DHC in for better matchus.

I probably just need to default to leading Dante instead of Wesker, which is the opposite of what I'm doing now. Dante just has a lot better matchups. But the problem with putting Dante permanently up front is it begs the question: what is Wesker doing on this team? His DHC from Dante doesn't do much damage. Having the assist for unblockables is nice, but not strictly necessary. And Dante doesn't need anything for combo extension. So why not replace him with a nice beam assist character?

But with Strider still on my team, to maintain synergy I need somebody who can take advantage of that hard knockdown. So that leaves me with Doom, with whom I am ass and don't particularly like playing anyway. So that really means Strider should go. Which is why I keep circling back to the fact that I should probably just build a whole new team around Dante. And what's the best team for that? Zero Makes You Cry.

Tirael

This is essentially what I'm going to be doing at the upcoming Marvel tournament at my local game store. The one person that has ANY chance of beating me uses Vergil, and I think I've found the counter. Deadpool. Overhead (into full combo), zoning, counter teleports, great DHC synergy.

So that makes my tentative team going into this Task/Deadpool/Hawkeye.

Azure J

So I'm trying to play with this:

Idk if you knew about this chirp but this guy phraxure had a pretty sweet combo into grapple. During prop shredder he calls vajra and tk an acid rain then dashes back and grapples. The vajra knocks them down, then the backdash gives perfect range, the acid rain otgs and grapple is formed.

And for the first time since I started talking about/playing Marvel with everyone, I had to ask myself why does Dante have this? Why does Acid Rain OTG? Why does it give me enough time to combo into a Grapple? This fucking character, I swear... :lol

http://i.minus.com/il6HXNVm4oDPa.png[/IMG]

Goddamn.

Dahbomb

X-Factor plus a meter - doesn't seem like the best idea in a lot of situations. Though Ghost Rider can snap Vergil back any time he tries to activate Spiral Swords, haha.
Who said anything about X factor? MarlinPie snapped Vergil out of Spiral Swords with Doom twice in the tournament without using X factor. One time I believe he traded and one time he got it out clean and mixed up the incoming character. Basically if a Vergil does Spiral Sword next to you without cancelling something into it in block stun and your snap back can reach, it will work.

Sort of good news that Marvel is going to be 3/5 for quarters/semis (so I guess that means top 128) but sucks for all the people without EVO points who have to go through pools. At least this is a step in the right direction, pretty sure Marvel next year is going to be 3/5 all the way.

Nova joins the SWAG rank of Marvel 3

I am really surprised that there have been no Strange swag TAC combos.

Bizazedo

I probably just need to default to leading Dante instead of Wesker, which is the opposite of what I'm doing now. Dante just has a lot better matchups. But the problem with putting Dante permanently up front is it begs the question: what is Wesker doing on this team? His DHC from Dante doesn't do much damage. Having the assist for unblockables is nice, but not strictly necessary. And Dante doesn't need anything for combo extension. So why not replace him with a nice beam assist character?

He has a lot of hitpoints.

Dante doesn't need a beam assist if he has Vajra.

He doesn't use / need nearly as much meter as Vergil.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, don't underestimate how FAR the gunshot shoots if used for the unblockable.

Well I think burning meter for a level 3 is nothing something you want to do in general, but the option is there especially in those situations where you say "Just get rid of him".
Oh, I definitely use Dark Dimension sparingly. It just upsets me that I have to do it. It doesn't help that the DHC synergy on my team is really ass outside of Firebrand -> Dormammu. That's something I want to remedy, though.

Vajra makes the Zero matchup far, far more manageable, though.

I am actually surprised at how much more damage you can get by DHCing twice instead of doing a level 3. I was playing around with a Magneto/Dante/Sentinel team and ending a Magneto combo with Magnetic Tempest into Million Dollars into Plasma Storm instead of doing a Gravity Squeeze will give you around 300k extra damage for the same meter cost.
I don't think there are any level 3s that outperform 3 meters worth of DHCing. Often 2 meters of DHCs match or get close to a level 3. It shows that level 3s are really best for either their utility or as part of making a comeback. Unfortunately, Dark Dimension's utility is pretty shitty.

Who said anything about X factor? MarlinPie snapped Vergil out of Spiral Swords with Doom twice in the tournament without using X factor. One time I believe he traded and one time he got it out clean and mixed up the incoming character. Basically if a Vergil does Spiral Sword next to you without cancelling something into it in block stun and your snap back can reach, it will work.
I don't recall seeing that on the stream, but I was in and out a lot working on job applications. It's an interesting thought, though. I'll think about this more.

Sort of good news that Marvel is going to be 3/5 for quarters/semis (so I guess that means top 128) but sucks for all the people without EVO points who have to go through pools. At least this is a step in the right direction, pretty sure Marvel next year is going to be 3/5 all the way.

Nova joins the SWAG rank of Marvel 3
Oh, quarters/semis for each pool? That's more appealing, then.

I am really surprised that there have been no Strange swag TAC combos.
He would only have swap near corners for FotF loops. He can't do anything mid-screen. And only a handful of people do FotF loops even in training mode, haha.

Bizazedo

Vajra doesn't effect Zero since he can just go pizza cutter or buster cancel to punish Vajra. Misconception.

Buster cancel something coming from above? No.

Also, Zero's don't like doing pizza cutters since that means they can't do anything else til the pizza cutter ends. And, despite popular belief, it's not a 360 degree forcefield.

Vajra is great against Zero.

JeTmAn81

Vajra is pretty much good against anybody who's in the air, assuming you have a point character who can cross them up easily. But Vajra gets blown up if you use it when your opponent is at close range or just plain use it carelessly. So my Strider gets blown up constantly :p

Alright, so for a while I've had the hunch that the reason a lot of characters are "low tier" is because they perform best with other "low tier" characters that no one wants to pick. Everyone wants to pick a trenchcoat, so when they see a character doesn't work well with the trenchcoat that character becomes "low tier". Players like Kusoru (sp?) and Dieminion have shown that there's something to this hypothesis.

Since I first saw Dr. Strange's trailer, I've felt that Dr. Strange and Hsien-ko are BFFs. Dr. Strange needs something to give him space, and he can protect Senpu Bu with Seven Rings of Raggador, removing its greatest weakness. Hsien-ko needs an assist with a lot of screen presence, and I think Bolts of Balthakk is a strong choice for her. They also have good DHC synergy.

I'm usually too bogged down by trying to work out the kinks in my own main team (Firebrand/Dormammu/Amaterasu), but I'm thinking about taking up this hypothesis to prove a point, even if it's just online casuals, to show that there's something to the idea. I'm also working on a Ghost Rider team, because I think he has more going for him than people think.

So, my question to all of you is: what do you think my third for the Dr. Strange/Hsien-ko team should be?

Thoughts I've had:
Doom (Hidden Missiles) - works well, but it's kind of overplayed and I'd like to avoid it
Amaterasu (Cold Stars) - great for Dr. Strange and Hsien-ko mix-ups, makes good use of both assists
Shuma-Gorath (Mystic Ray) - great for full-screen approaches with Dr. Strange, helps Hsien-ko control the vertical, and he loves the assists of both characters

Just don't try and talk me out of Hsien-ko/Strange. ;-) I'm not set on a team order. If I had Shuma-Gorath, I would probably go Shuma/Hsien-ko/Strange. If I had Amaterasu, probably Hsien-ko/Strange/Amaterasu. If I had Doom, probably Doom/Hsien-ko/Strange, and I'd just play it safe until I get 2 bars, then do Doom->Hsien-ko, and raw tag Strange in for Strange/Doom/Hsien-ko.

Actually I would go with Eye of Agamotto and a beam assist that has ton of active frames. So you can go assist, hyper, assist, hard tag.

EoA- Golden- beam/cart/tatsu- hard tag Strange in.

Then go ham.

Frantic

Vajra doesn't effect Zero since he can just go pizza cutter or buster cancel to punish Vajra. Misconception.
I like how you say it doesn't effect Zero, then list the things that don't actually work reliably. Zero's only reliable option against Vajra is a a Lightning Dash M on reaction to the assist call which will punish it.

However, with a Dante + Strider team, that's not the best idea because Dante can just Jam Session/Acid Rain and then Zero can't do that anymore. :)

Dante doesn't need a beam assist if he has Vajra.
While he doesn't really need it, Dante with a Beam + Vajra is really, really good. Especially Unibeam. Dante + Unibeam is so good.

Hmmm. What about Friday-Sunday? I'm hesitant to play that late because of sleep for work, etc., and I like to have really long sets. It's once of the reasons I get frustrated playing Panda, the man only goes for like 10-15 games before leaving, it's very unsatisfying!
I'm a real marathon man. FT20 sets are not uncommon when fighting with me. Hell, one of my longest sets was 47 matches with a gaffer in vanilla UMvC3. I can't remember his name, but he used Spencer. I think it was Frantic.

I'm surprisingly available for some matches today if you are up for it right now.
Man you tell me this now? SMH :lol

I need to get some Gold going.
Missed this...

I'm eternally confused by your online status in XBL. I thought you finally got gold like a month or two ago after not having online access for months. So you still don't have it? You should trade that Xbox in for a PS3 if you want to play online for free. I've actually bought all of my fighting games on the PS3 since the online is free and they mostly run okay. Still gotta trade in my 360 KOF XIII for a PS3 version...

I'll be double dipping for Guilty Gear so see you there
Just don't try and talk me out of Hsien-ko/Strange. ;-) I'm not set on a team order. If I had Shuma-Gorath, I would probably go Shuma/Hsien-ko/Strange. If I had Amaterasu, probably Hsien-ko/Strange/Amaterasu. If I had Doom, probably Doom/Hsien-ko/Strange, and I'd just play it safe until I get 2 bars, then do Doom->Hsien-ko, and raw tag Strange in for Strange/Doom/Hsien-ko.
Think of a character with an assist more or less as good as cold star and with better comeback potential. Ammy is a decent anchor, but I can't help feeling bad about her on anchor after Pie's anchor Ammy get demolished by Flocker's cheapass Zero+Doom missiles.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Sorry! Long sets kinda bore me. Even if I switch my team several times I just can't play for that long.

I'm a real marathon man. FT20 sets are not uncommon when fighting with me. Hell, one of my longest sets was 47 matches with a gaffer in vanilla UMvC3. I can't remember his name, but he used Spencer. I think it was Frantic.

I'm surprisingly available for some matches today if you are up for it right now.
50 match sets are what's normal for me. Bare minimum I like 30. I might stop at 20 if my opponent's team is really boring and common.

I might get on later, but my wife is on her way home and we planned stuff for when she gets here. I'll make a post here if it happens and get on the PS3.

Think of a character with an assist more or less as good as cold star and with better comeback potential. Ammy is a decent anchor, but I can't help feeling bad about her on anchor after Pie's anchor Ammy get demolished by Flocker's cheapass Zero+Doom missiles.
I'm not too worried about the XF3 comebacks. I plan on burning XF1 with Dr. Strange every time. As soon as I can, Spell of Vishanti, XFC, dead point character. Why? Because Hsien-ko already guarantees a messed up endgame for me. I have to dismantle the team early and then wear the rest down with Senpu Bu and Strange. I don't think I can win the matches with an anchor regardless of who I pick because of Hsien-ko.

Sorry! Long sets kinda bore me. Even if I switch my team several times I just can't play for that long.
Grrrrr!

Dahbomb

To add to the Low tier synergy post, Ghost Rider and Shuma go really well together. In fact at the UFGT auction tournament, someone put ridiculous money on that team set up.

Iron Man and Sentinel go really well together, I mean they are both Mid tier but Iron Man backed up by Sentinel is a huge threat and more than other characters with Sentinel Drones. Sentinel also gets a huge boost from having Repulsor Blast.

Strange and Captain America/Iron Fist/Thor/She Hulk. Bolts of Balthaks are still underrated and underutilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom