• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
skrulls mid screen bnb was pretty fun to learn (inferno gets me hyped), i can see some stone smite resets with spencers slant shot, so i cant wait to put in more work.

im definitely going to need to concentrate a lot with strange. though if he's my anchor, i think i can be lazy for a while and just learn a non impact palm combo in lvl3 x factor.

Bizazedo

C)Actually, I AM aware of how much meter my usual combos build approximately (Nova's gets about 80-90% meter without Frank assist, with it I think it gets a full bar). That time probably was me getting greedy and trying to get a grab reset. Meter building is really not a strong point of my team though tbh...(at least I have a meter postive Frank combo in lv4+ I guess?)

Yeah, it's hard for me to know, especially online. That one I didn't now if it was a reset or a meter thing :)

Is there a way to extend the combo a bit with Nova to assure lvl 2?

I got dem throw reset gimmicks?

reset18r95v.gif

reset23o97u.gif

You can cancel the flight and go low, too. Or they can roll away. Who knows?

GGs Solar. You left the matches, right? I just want to be sure because I set my stick down funny for a second and then we were out. If it was me leaving, I didn't intend to so abruptly. If it was you, then cool.

The Strange/Hsien-ko/Shuma-Gorath team is stressful to play. Once Strange gets taken out, things get kind of shaky. Mystic Ray is really good for that team, though. Maybe I'll need to anchor Shuma-Gorath and just keep Hsien-ko out there. God my Shuma is terrible.

How often have you been playing the 360 version?

I finally bought this game.... been running dormammu/ryu... who's a good 3rd team member to compliment those two?
Wolverine on point. Dormammu third. It's not a great team, but Dormammu and Ryu don't go together too well. You could run it as Ryu/Dormammu/[Assist].

The Strange/Hsien-ko/Shuma-Gorath team is stressful to play. Once Strange gets taken out, things get kind of shaky. Mystic Ray is really good for that team, though. Maybe I'll need to anchor Shuma-Gorath and just keep Hsien-ko out there. God my Shuma is terrible.

Sounds like my MVC2 team, Ice Man/Shuma/Captain Commando. If I couldn't chip people out to build the bar for Chaos Dimension, I was done once Ice Man died.

Yeah, it's hard for me to know, especially online. That one I didn't now if it was a reset or a meter thing :)

Is there a way to extend the combo a bit with Nova to assure lvl 2?

Hmm, well, not after the first relaunch that‘s for sure (HSD makes anything except super after jH miss). I‘d have to experiment.

GGs Solar. You left the matches, right? I just want to be sure because I set my stick down funny for a second and then we were out. If it was me leaving, I didn't intend to so abruptly. If it was you, then cool.
You left, but it doesn't matter. Twenty five matches was enough for one night. Friday through Sunday is for longer sessions.
Doom's j.H completely nullifying Hsien-Ko was pretty funny lol.
How often have you been playing the 360 version?
Maybe once a month.

smurfx

get some go again
Good games to Biz! I'm learning a lot about spacing and assist calling.

Beam assist from Doom is kinda helping... Hmmmm...

Sidenote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dPmf1GHHOoU#!

UMvC3 - The Ultimate Phoenix Wright Tutorial

Really well made tutorial to PW. Dude put a lot of effort into it... give some love to the creator, GAF!
you should have been using doom beam for the longest since you never cancel failed shield skills into arrows or sting master. plus the beam really helps taskmasters zoning.

shaowebb

Sidenote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dPmf1GHHOoU#!

UMvC3 - The Ultimate Phoenix Wright Tutorial

Really well made tutorial to PW. Dude put a lot of effort into it... give some love to the creator, GAF!

Wow, that actually makes him sound worth the effort and helps a lot. I like that it went into his safe and unsafe positions with Maya's shield and how frail it is for failure with its 250k damage cap before she's knocked away. Absolutely ridiculous damage, xfactor bonuses, and tricks once he gets going but he needs help to ever get there.

No wonder he had Dante on his team for jam session. maybe we should get Kadey to run a Phoenix Wright tourney on stream for fun sometime.

Anth0ny

You guys think Vergil's rapid slash is a good enough assist for Phoenix Wright? I've been trying to come up with a Wright team since launch but still cant come to a decision. Right now I'm thinking of either Storm or Dorm for point then Wright/Vergil.

smurfx

get some go again
You guys think Vergil's rapid slash is a good assist for Phoenix Wright? I've been trying to come up with a Wright team since launch but still cant come to a decision. Right now I'm thinking of either Storm or Dorm for point then Wright/Vergil.
rapid slash pushes people away right? then it would be a good assist.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You guys think Vergil's rapid slash is a good enough assist for Phoenix Wright? I've been trying to come up with a Wright team since launch but still cant come to a decision. Right now I'm thinking of either Storm or Dorm for point then Wright/Vergil.
A friend of mine plays Haggar/Wright and puts him on 2nd and just makes sure to DHC into the Maya super for a kill so that he has enough time to get several evidence draws easily. Lariat assist also helps for this when necessary.

He actually managed to pull off the level 3 twice in his first game in CEO pools. His opponent's friend would not stop giving him shit for it, lol. "Yo, you know he just hit you with that twice?" "Yeah, I know. :mad:"

rapid slash pushes people away right? then it would be a good assist.
Cool thanks, plus if I ever mix things up and get Vergil in DT than it would create even more breathing room to gather evidence.
A friend of mine plays Haggar/Wright and puts him on 2nd and just makes sure to DHC into the Maya super for a kill so that he has enough time to get several evidence draws easily. Lariat assist also helps for this when necessary.

He actually managed to pull off the level 3 twice in his first game in CEO pools. His opponent's friend would not stop giving him shit for it, lol. "Yo, you know he just hit you with that twice?" "Yeah, I know. :mad:"

Hahaha thats awesome.

Bizazedo

GG's, we'll definitely go again whenever y'want (maybe not tonight, I might not be around).

The beam assist helped, definitely, but what really helped imo was you started to settle down and get more patient as the set went on. Taskmaster is great against Zero, imo, but you have to be patient. You get overeager and he catches you.

Been playing a lot, noticed my tv seems to have a bit of extra delay. Any suggestions on a good TV to get for playing fighting games on? something around 20" for my computer desk would be awesome. Does anyone reccomend 120hz? Not looking to spend over 200$.

Grecco

Been playing a lot, noticed my tv seems to have a bit of extra delay. Any suggestions on a good TV to get for playing fighting games on? something around 20" for my computer desk would be awesome. Does anyone reccomend 120hz? Not looking to spend over 200$.

Get an asus monitor like evo uses? runs around 120-140 i think

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ASUS VH236H if you want the tournament standard.

I always wonder if things like that can't backfire. Like, I hate fighting Viewtiful Joe, but I am used to fighting the top tiers.

That, and the fact that Die has been laming people out his whole life. Playing a team that doesn't fit your style is worse than going mid tier. That's the reason I dropped Zero/Doom/Phoenix.

Dahbomb

I wonder if Zero May Cry is going to end up being the new MSP.
It's definitely up there although it's more comparable to a CapCom team with that assist.

Dieminion going with Zero May Cry is a bad choice for him. He's just tier whoring for the sake of tier whoring. Most likely he will start his ZMC team, get bodied and would have to revert to his normal team.

You left, but it doesn't matter. Twenty five matches was enough for one night. Friday through Sunday is for longer sessions.

Doom's j.H completely nullifying Hsien-Ko was pretty funny lol.

Maybe once a month.
Ah, my apologies then. I set my stick down abruptly and tried to go to character select to buy time since my wife was calling me. LOL @ our first few matches. I somehow had Mystic Stare set for Shuma-Gorath, so I kept trying to teleport and was like "Um, where's the beam?"

Those matches give me a lot of confidence in the Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange pairing, though. It felt really strong unless Strange died, and then Shuma-Gorath had problems. I also had a hell of a time figuring out my assist buttons, because sometimes I would DHC Shuma - Hsien-ko, and then raw tag Strange in, which would make the order Strange/Shuma/Hsien-ko, and other times I would have the order be Strange/Hsien-ko/Shuma, because I would DHC all the way to Strange. Also, holy crap I can't do Shuma-Gorath combos. I just want to ABC everything. Toward the end I started landing the relaunch and it felt really good, though. I just always failed the rest of the combo.

My first impression of the team is that it has some meter problems. Dr. Strange is stellar at protecting Hsien-ko, but, reasonably, it costs 2 bars to get Hsien-ko in there in the first place. So Dr. Strange needs to re-build meter to get to the point where he can protect Hsien-ko like he needs to. If I can get to that point, I feel borderline invincible. Dr. Strange backed by Mystic Ray and Senpu Bu pretty much covered every single problem I could possibly have. Those were also the first matches I've ever had where I got 90% of my Strange inputs correct, and didn't forget about Mystic Sword.

To conclude, I think I'm going to replace Shuma-Gorath. Not because he's lacking - he put in a lot of work during the matches, but he needed the Bolts of Balthakk assist to do so. I really need someone who can just rock with the Senpu Bu assist if Dr. Strange dies. I will think on this a bit more.

I always wonder if things like that can't backfire. Like, I hate fighting Viewtiful Joe, but I am used to fighting the top tiers.
Yeah, Zero is not a character you want to pick up 2 weeks before a major tournament. It just will not go well.

Dieminion was complaining about marvel again and says he will practice team zero/vergil/dante for evo.
Maybe he should learn how to use Dr. Strange instead.

Azure J

Maybe he should learn how to use Dr. Strange instead.

Seriously speaking. His team has some tech that would really catch a bunch of folks off guard:

- Joe with Shocking Pink assist for situational OTGs; can also be used to trigger Strange's immensely invincible projectile counter super for free.

- Morrigan with Eye of Agamotto is just abusive, Die is like the only player who could legitimately hit Soul Drain loops frequently if he knew the setup.

There's probably more I haven't payed attention to, but I really think he should look at his team a bit more before deciding to change it, especially for something so wildly out of his norm. Hell, I suggested he keep Morrigan, add Dante but pick Amaterasu before he went full ZMC just because he'd still get zoning and good neutral space coverage. Even then, thinking about it now, he'd still have to get used to handling Dante proficiently & Amaterasu anchor in two weeks. That's a tall order.

Seriously speaking. His team has some tech that would really catch a bunch of folks off guard:

- Joe with Shocking Pink assist for situational OTGs; can also be used to trigger Strange's immensely invincible projectile counter super for free.

- Morrigan with Eye of Agamotto is just abusive, Die is like the only player who could legitimately hit Soul Drain loops frequently if he knew the setup.

There's probably more I haven't payed attention to, but I really think he should look at his team a bit more before deciding to change it, especially for something so wildly out of his norm. Hell, I suggested he keep Morrigan, add Dante but pick Amaterasu before he went full ZMC just because he'd still get zoning and good neutral space coverage. Even then, thinking about it now, he'd still have to get used to handling Dante proficiently & Amaterasu anchor in two weeks. That's a tall order.
He doesn't make good use of the Morrigan/Strange pairing at all. If he knew how to handle Strange better, he'd be a monster. When I ran Strange/Dormammu/Morrigan, it was a disaster because Strange just doesn't do well on point. But when I did get a flow going, there were a lot of OCVs because Morrigan is feeding him a ton of meter, and suddenly your opponent can't do anything without being punished by Spell of Vishanti. I ate through entire teams just with Spell of Vishanti sometimes. The meter generation is that fast. I considered running Strange/Hsien-ko/Morrigan, but I don't think it would work out in practice. Morrigan on point would, but only with Eye of Agamotto assist. I'm not sure if I'd want to do that.

Anyway, team report. SolarPowered, I'd especially appreciate your feedback on my thought process, since you were there:

I played a 25 match set with Shuma-Gorath (Mystic Ray) / Hsien-ko (Senpu Bu) / Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk) last night.

Team Virtues:
1) If I get Dr. Strange up there backed by Shuma-Gorath and Hsien-ko, I feel borderline invincible. The combination is just as strong as I thought it was.

2) Able to deal with a huge variety of playstyles.

Team Weaknesses:
1) If Shuma-Gorath dies, Hsien-ko has to survive incoming mix-ups and take chip - gah.

2) The biggest problem - when Dr. Strange dies, Shuma-Gorath backed by Hsien-ko isn't actually that good. He's too slow for it to work well. Hsien-ko backed by Shuma-Gorath isn't too bad, but it's not good either.

3) The idea behind the team is Dr. Strange using Hsien-ko while being able to protect her. Unfortunately, with Shuma-Gorath on point it takes 2 bars to get Hsien-ko armored, and then I'm without meter for protecting her. It's not reasonable for me to try and wait for 3 bars most of the time, either.

4) Two low damage characters. Dr. Strange does good damage, but Hsien-ko and Shuma-Gorath don't, even in their full combos (which I admittedly can't do).

5) No good use for X-Factor outside of Dr. Strange, so if he dies there's almost no chance of making a comeback.

All of this leads me to what should be an obvious conclusion: Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange rocks, but Shuma-Gorath needs to be replaced. I don't think Amaterasu is a contender because she would have problems similar to Shuma-Gorath in getting zoned (my opponent was using Morrigan/Hidden Missiles). Right now, the team weighs too much on Dr. Strange, so I think I need another character that can really abuse Senpu Bu and Bolts of Balthakk. Doom is definitely a candidate for this, since he is good at getting in without using specials so he can call Senpu Bu at any time. The character also has to be good on point, because I don't want Hsien-ko or Dr. Strange taking damage so I can preserve the former for her assist and the latter as my true point character once I get him in. I also felt like my meter was completely wasted in going from Shuma-Gorath to Hsien-ko, because Hsien-ko just tagged out. I'd like a setup where Hsien-ko can follow up after the DHC to try and TAC glitch the opponent (since she's not susceptible to TAC counters while armored, though the TAC itself can still be countered).

Current thoughts:
Doom (still)

Skrull - gets full combos from Bolts of Balthakk, high damage and health, good DHC to
Hsien-ko through Skrull Torch (I assume), Senpu Bu gives him nasty command grab setups, excellent user of X-Factor

Spencer - gets in for free, loves Senpu Bu for mix-ups, Bionic Arm to Rimoukon is a good combination, big damage, good X-Factor user, and slant shot is a good assist for Impact Palm into big damage

I think I'll give Spencer a try, but I'm open to other suggestions, as always. I'm also considering Morrigan.

vg260

I'm skeptical after Niitsuma's tweet.

I'm hoping they're just giving it time to digest all the big tourney results.

This game might need to last for a while with no sequel/update, and a balance patch early next year might help that cause.

I still want them to patch in replay saving. I'm still learning and see so much cool stuff spectating I want to analyze.

You can call assists as many times as you want during blockstrings, right? Doesn't Trish have an infinite blockstring in the corner or something? I remember something like that. Maybe it was just anti-pushblock tech.

Bizazedo

Be home in like an hour and a half if anyone's around. Jet, want to rumble?

Karst, what about point Wesker backed by Strange and Hsien?

Be home in like an hour and a half if anyone's around. Jet, want to rumble?

Karst, what about point Wesker backed by Strange and Hsien?
He's not a bad choice. I'll keep him in mind, though if it comes down to Hsien-ko/Wesker, I'm not sure how pleased I'd be about that. His assists are also pretty bad for Strange and Hsien-ko.

What's your team SolarPowered?
He swapped between Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix and Ammy/Morrigan/Doom. His Vanilla team was Ammy/Morrigan/Hsien-ko.

Must be fun to play against the soul fist missiles trap with slowdown.
Mystic Ray + Strange >>>>> Morrigan + Missiles. It only became a problem when Strange had died. Mystic Ray clears out Doom and all his missiles every time, and Strange outzones Morrigan since Mystic Sword has 8 durability. If I have excess meter, Seven Rings of Raggador or Spell of Vishanti when Doom comes on the screen to put him out. Mystic Ray also makes Morrigan's fireball game really hard to start up. The matchup is heavily in my team's favor.

Is Cho the guy that used Deadpool/Vergil/Wesker i think or Deadpool/Doom/Vergil? i think i remember him using Deadpool?

I know Chou plays Strider (unless I'm hugely confused), was it Dante/Vergil/Strider? Wesker/Vergil/Strider, something like that.

EDIT:Cross-Posting from weekly thread as Dahbomb said his team there, it is apparently Wesker/Magneto/Vergil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom