• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

To add to the Low tier synergy post, Ghost Rider and Shuma go really well together. In fact at the UFGT auction tournament, someone put ridiculous money on that team set up.

Iron Man and Sentinel go really well together, I mean they are both Mid tier but Iron Man backed up by Sentinel is a huge threat and more than other characters with Sentinel Drones. Sentinel also gets a huge boost from having Repulsor Blast.

Strange and Captain America/Iron Fist/Thor/She Hulk. Bolts of Balthaks are still underrated and underutilized.

Strange Iron fist is good, but it needs someone who can really work well with both since its almost like having too problem characters on a team. One with no normals who is slow with great mixup potential and one who has no mixups but beasts at the other stuff. They both need a lockdown assist to run this so Akuma or Iron Man works with Ammy or Doom as other fair possibilities.

Bizazedo

50 match sets are what's normal for me. Bare minimum I like 30. I might stop at 20 if my opponent's team is really boring and common.
Haha, same here, especially if it's trading wins back and forth. I'm always like "why r u stop?!"

If anyone is around on 360 right now, yell, btw. Before Diablo kills me.

JeTmAn81

While he doesn't really need it, Dante with a Beam + Vajra is really, really good. Especially Unibeam. Dante + Unibeam is so good.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. Unless buffs.

Sorry! Long sets kinda bore me. Even if I switch my team several times I just can't play for that long.

Does not compute. How do you play this game for only a short time? If I get into a competitive set with somebody, I just want to go and go. I played 40+ games with Tuboware from UFGT the other day, and he was the one to call it quits.

Haha, same here, especially if it's trading wins back and forth. I'm always like "why r u stop?!"

LIKE THIS?!

...Yeah, I can play right now.

Btw, what are some good Zero tutorials? I swear that ever since I stopped using Zero/Nova/Ammy I forgot everything I knew about him >__<

Azure J

40 - 0. Just because I respected Zero/Vergil + Disruptor assist too much.

40 - 0. After finally thinking "hey I can do things in this game, I feel comfortable in it."

40 - 0. Against Zero who stuck to the most flowing of flowcharts, chillin' in the air raining projectiles even as I used my anti-airs. Why God, did Capcom feel like Zero should get the most abusive option select ever? I will never not be able to move back faster than he can move forward, so I setup assists to help me after the tech. Of course that's all for naught when Shippuga is like a plasma powered broom.

40 - 0.

Fuck this game. :lol

;_____;

JeTmAn81

40 - 0. After finally thinking "hey I can do things in this game, I feel comfortable in it."

40 - 0. Against Zero who stuck to the most flowing of flowcharts, chillin' in the air raining projectiles even as I used my anti-airs. Why God, did Capcom feel like Zero should get the most abusive option select ever? I will never not be able to move back faster than he can move forward, so I setup assists to help me after the tech. Of course that's all for naught when Shippuga is like a plasma powered broom.

40 - 0.

;_____;

Who'd you play? Broski? BTW, if you're getting beaten that badly I don't think it's fruitful to continue. Punching too far above your weight is just an exercise in frustration. IMO, you want to play people who are +/- 20% of your own level. Not that I don't know the feeling. You just want to crack that nut...

The problem with wesker right now in the metagame is that he doesn't have a clear role to play.

• He can't really kill anybody in one combo at the beginning of the round even with a DHC which makes it hard to play him on point.
  • He doesn't do a great job of punishing assists.
  • He's basically a reset character which has limited use with the dropped meter gain, lowered health and other characters getting fleshed out with their own superior tech, and giving people chances is a worse and worse idea as time goes on.
  • He had 3 great tools in vanilla: AA gunshot, invincible counter and 1-frame command grab. 2 were taken away.
  • x-factor is stupid but predictable.

He's still a great character. He's safe, he's strong in the 2nd position and he has a great assist. It's just that the reasons to pick him over safe rush characters like Zero or Spencer kind of slowly disappear over time. Even his spot in 2nd is looking meh as the slot goes more and more to utility characters like Dormammu or Storm and high-damage DHCs like Vergil.

Azure J

Yeah, it's more matches with the bro. No lies I wish if I had just said screw it and gone PS3 just for the free online sparring, but Frantic & SolarPowered (traitor!) were two that I primarily wanted to match with and they were purely Xbox folks.

As for the matches, my thing isn't even the losses really, it's more about the mental sequence that leads to stuff like this internally:

*does X over Y; gets bopped*

"OK, I should have done Y over X then."

*does Y over X; gets destroyed*

"Is there a Z option?"

Eventually it just wears me out and I start to lose sight of my options. I mean it really sucks walking into ever active swords, knowing that the guy is just going to push buttons until they work, meanwhile Team Batman doesn't get any prep time to abuse. :lol

Tangent: Zero is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too safe or has far too many options, and this is hilarious to say coming from a Dante player. It really feels like the matchup is all about praying that they aren't charging a buster or you have Vajira assist and strong as hell anti-airs. The latter feels the worst though because I feel like I can't play what characters I like versus him. The Dante/Strider duo is too important to me.

Ah well, just gotta keep pushing on.

JeTmAn81

He's still a great character. He's safe, he's strong in the 2nd position and he has a great assist. It's just that the reasons to pick him over safe rush characters like Zero or Spencer kind of slowly disappear over time. Even his spot in 2nd is looking meh as the slot goes more and more to utility characters like Dormammu or Storm and high-damage DHCs like Vergil.

Mostly my feelings. It's not that Wesker is a bad character. He's really good, and has amazing tools. He just doesn't add a lot of synergy to teams, mostly because low-hitting assists aren't really that important in this game, and he does nothing for DHC's. You could probably put the DHC trick as something else from vanilla which got taken away from him (not that I miss it). So Wesker really wants to be in point, due to lack of vital assists and DHC's, but then he's got bad matchups against a lot of characters.

Tangent: Zero is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too safe or has far too many options, and this is hilarious to say coming from a Dante player. It really feels like the matchup is all about praying that they aren't charging a buster or you have Vajira assist and strong as hell anti-airs. The latter feels the worst though because I feel like I can't play what characters I like versus him. The Dante/Strider duo is too important to me.

Ah well, just gotta keep pushing on.

I definitely think Zero's options are just too good, largely because of lightning buster lightning, but just buster cancels in general give him a bunch of stuff, like ground teleport into buster shot into combo. I do feel like Dante has tools to deal with him, but you have to get your spacing right, and there's no character who has an easy time fighting a good Zero.

Do you not have a way of getting internet to your Xbox, or do you just not want to pay for Live? I paid $35 for my one-year Gold subscription.

Everyone still thinking we are going to get a post-EVO balance patch?

I'd be amazed if we didn't. It seems clear that certain characters are just a bit too dominant. I'd love for just a few of the most outrageous tools available to the S-tiers get nerfed, and then a wider array of buffs were distributed to the lesser characters that need them.

Hmm... Magneto/Sentinel/Trish might be fun.

Also, I remember when everybody was saying I was crazy in vanilla when I said Hidden Missiles was the best assist in the game, and now Dahbomb has been bitching about it lol

I remember when Noel Brown was the only guy using it then he dropped it. I still stand by my statement that Magneto/Doom/Phoenix was far and away the best team in vanilla.

Solune

I am actually surprised at how much more damage you can get by DHCing twice instead of doing a level 3. I was playing around with a Magneto/Dante/Sentinel team and ending a Magneto combo with Magnetic Tempest into Million Dollars into Plasma Storm instead of doing a Gravity Squeeze will give you around 300k extra damage for the same meter cost.
It all depends on the DHC of course, Magnetic Shockwave in the corner is lolz.
I have noticed that it needs to be adjusted in certain situations. Like doing HSH (ground bounce) into Round Trip requires you to wait slightly longer to do c.H, Judgment Cut than if you had done it off a Lunar Phase. What I don't understand is what adjustments need to be made to make sure you can keep the loop going in the corner.
In the corner it depends where Vergil is and what height the character is, if they are spinning knockdown like after Spencer, dash back then do Lunar Phase. If they are slightly to the side of you, you should still be able to Lunar Phase without messing it up. If Vergil is right in from of them I would just do the 2x Helm Breaker, if Roundtrip hits only twice, you usually have to cancel the Judgement Cut into Spiral Swords. From what I've done if Round Trip hits 3 times, you are definitely in the clear.
I probably just need to default to leading Dante instead of Wesker, which is the opposite of what I'm doing now. Dante just has a lot better matchups. But the problem with putting Dante permanently up front is it begs the question: what is Wesker doing on this team? His DHC from Dante doesn't do much damage. Having the assist for unblockables is nice, but not strictly necessary. And Dante doesn't need anything for combo extension. So why not replace him with a nice beam assist character?

But with Strider still on my team, to maintain synergy I need somebody who can take advantage of that hard knockdown. So that leaves me with Doom, with whom I am ass and don't particularly like playing anyway. So that really means Strider should go. Which is why I keep circling back to the fact that I should probably just build a whole new team around Dante. And what's the best team for that? Zero Makes You Cry.
I don't know about starting Dante, I don't really like it to be honest. He has slowass normals and can get RTSD pretty badly. He's better at controlling space than creating it. It's not that Dante can't open people up but he just loses to faster characters like Wolverine, Zero, Viper. Starting Wesker isn't bad since he has fast normals and in general has good movement. So he goes toe to toe with those characters, but just change the order starting depending on the matchup.

Like you said it's better to build a team around Dante, likewise with Wesker, the two don't really have that much synergy unless they have a third tying the glue together. I know since I used to play them together too.
You could possibly play Iron Man since he can pick up off of Strider and has a good beam assist. Viper is also a good second for Dante/Strider, she doesn't have a beam but Vajra should be good enough tbh. Chris might also be a good pick, Gunfire assist has alot of active frames and is moderately fast, plus he is excellent with Strider. Sentinel is also a BFF for most teams but most people don't want to play Sentinel.
Zero May Cry for the most part is Zero is on point, but it can be played in any order but it just makes sense to play Zero first.
Oh, I definitely use Dark Dimension sparingly. It just upsets me that I have to do it. It doesn't help that the DHC synergy on my team is really ass outside of Firebrand -> Dormammu. That's something I want to remedy, though.

Haha I don't think you should be upset when you "have" to do it, But I suppose in the end if you could have saved meter for Stalking Flare that could potentially be a gamechanger. DHC Synergy is something I looked out for when making my teams to insure effectiveness, especially for maximum damage, although I never looked into Safe DHCs as much as I should but that's not the way I play!

Also speaking of DHC Synergy, I am working on a sick setup with Chris/Morrigan/Strider.
Combination Punch L xx Grenade Launcher > DHC Astral Vision > Call Strider > S > SJC.Soul Drain xx Flight Cancel xx Soul Drain. It's in the works and I'm not 100% it works but it's pretty damn cool if everything works out properly.

To add to the Low tier synergy post, Ghost Rider and Shuma go really well together. In fact at the UFGT auction tournament, someone put ridiculous money on that team set up.

Iron Man and Sentinel go really well together, I mean they are both Mid tier but Iron Man backed up by Sentinel is a huge threat and more than other characters with Sentinel Drones. Sentinel also gets a huge boost from having Repulsor Blast.

Strange and Captain America/Iron Fist/Thor/She Hulk. Bolts of Balthaks are still underrated and underutilized.
I'm all on the Iron Man/Sentinel train. When I do an Iron Man team eventually, that will be the core. I just need to think of another character that does super well with Repulsor Blast. I don't think I want Ghost Rider and Shuma-Gorath together. If I want an anti-air I'd go with Jam Session.

Strange Iron fist is good, but it needs someone who can really work well with both since its almost like having too problem characters on a team. One with no normals who is slow with great mixup potential and one who has no mixups but beasts at the other stuff. They both need a lockdown assist to run this so Akuma or Iron Man works with Ammy or Doom as other fair possibilities.
I'll make an Iron Fist team at a later date. Maybe I should go through all the low tiers and make a good team for them.

I don't think I've ever stopped first unless the connection was bad, the opponent is disrespectful, or I have to go do something.

40 - 0.

;_____;
Ow.

Who'd you play? Broski? BTW, if you're getting beaten that badly I don't think it's fruitful to continue. Punching too far above your weight is just an exercise in frustration. IMO, you want to play people who are +/- 20% of your own level. Not that I don't know the feeling. You just want to crack that nut...
I disagree. Back when I didn't know what I was doing, I went like 0-20 against someone. It taught me a lot, and the next time we played I went even with him. I just needed to get my ass kicked a lot by a good player to understand my mistakes.

What do you mean "more and more" Dormammu and Storm? No one has added these characters to a team that didn't already use them.

Yeah, it's more matches with the bro. No lies I wish if I had just said screw it and gone PS3 just for the free online sparring, but Frantic & SolarPowered (traitor!) were two that I primarily wanted to match with and they were purely Xbox folks.
Why not just go pick up the PS3 version? I bet you can get a good price if you look around. I promise you a 25 match set if you do. ;-)

Everyone still thinking we are going to get a post-EVO balance patch?
I'm skeptical after Niitsuma's tweet.

Hmm... Magneto/Sentinel/Trish might be fun.

Also, I remember when everybody was saying I was crazy in vanilla when I said Hidden Missiles was the best assist in the game, and now Dahbomb has been bitching about it lol

I remember when Noel Brown was the only guy using it then he dropped it. I still stand by my statement that Magneto/Doom/Phoenix was far and away the best team in vanilla.
I agreed with you about Hidden Missiles, though...

Haha I don't think you should be upset when you "have" to do it, But I suppose in the end if you could have saved meter for Stalking Flare that could potentially be a gamechanger. DHC Synergy is something I looked out for when making my teams to insure effectiveness, especially for maximum damage, although I never looked into Safe DHCs as much as I should but that's not the way I play!

Also speaking of DHC Synergy, I am working on a sick setup with Chris/Morrigan/Strider.
Combination Punch L xx Grenade Launcher > DHC Astral Vision > Call Strider > S > SJC.Soul Drain xx Flight Cancel xx Soul Drain. It's in the works and I'm not 100% it works but it's pretty damn cool if everything works out properly.
Dark Dimension is a pretty shitty level 3, so it displeases me to have to use it. I feel like Dormammu should get a full combo off of it to make up for how bad it is.

My team's DHCs are all really safe, since I have Finishing Shower, Luminous Body, and Stalking Flare. It's all very safe. I've actually never been bothered by the poor DHC synergy. The utility outweighs it in my opinion.

I honestly don't understand Morrigan + Vajra. It doesn't feel like a good combination. If you want a really sick Soul Drain setup, pair Morrigan with Tron or Dante. Let me know if you get it to work, though.

Dahbomb

I have had Hidden Missiles in my top 5 assists since day 1 of Vanilla and that's when Vanilla had 2 invincible assists for Hidden Missiles to compete with.

woah woah woah

I've had online access for years on the 360, but I've never seen you with gold or I would have fought you hundreds of times by now. You should trade the system in for a PS3 if you only play Mahvel and want to play games online. That's just the way I see it. ;)
50 match sets are what's normal for me. Bare minimum I like 30. I might stop at 20 if my opponent's team is really boring and common.
A FT20 should involve some losses and wins. That kind of thing stretches the number of matches up considerably. It'll probably be 20-1 the first two or three times though. <_<

woah woah woah

I've had online access for years on the 360, but I've never seen you with gold or I would have fought you hundreds of times by now. You should trade the system in for a PS3 if you only play Mahvel and want to play games online. That's just the way I see it. ;)
Oh. Jericho, you got the whole system for Marvel?

A FT20 should involve some losses and wins. That kind of thing stretches the number of matches up considerably. It'll probably be 20-1 the first two or three times though. <_<
I'll probably run my new Hsien-ko team against you. ;-)

I feel like learning skrull, and it seems skrull/spencer/taskmaster might be a good team to try (considering the characters i do know how to play).

Skrull's best assists are Sentinel Force and Bolts of Balthakk.

i figured drones would be, but i wanted to avoid playing sentinel while still keeping spencer. i thought the horizontal arrows might suffice for skrull. maybe its time though i put together a team that doesnt include spencer, which would be a first for me, even going back to vanilla.

Azure J

Oh. Jericho, you got the whole system for Marvel?

Nuh-uh!

The plan was to grab a 360 for Mahvel since most people played it there, then a PS3. End of generation came however and I decided to hold off on bigger game purchases for a while. I'm like a top tier poverty monster and going to be that way for a while until I can restart school again sadly. =/

Zissou

I think it's comparatively easy to tier whore in marvel as opposed to other fighting games. It's just so easy to keep swapping out characters until your original team is gone. For instance, I liked te she-hulk/doom pairing a lot in vanilla, so my main team was always those two plus a third who I never settled on. When ultimate was announced, I thought strider would be a great third and I'd finally be set. Of course, she-hulk got pretty badly wrecked in the transition to ultimate, so I went looking for a character to run whose assist would benefit doom while simultanously being someone who would benefit as much as possible from strider assist. Dante was just the obvious choice. Now lately I have been thinking, since I already use dante and strider, why not just use viper/dante/strider? The natural progression of events led to considering using a team that one of the theoretical tippity top tier teams.

I have no idea why it just D/C'd Biz *shrugs*

I'm losing like 40-4 right now but GOD FUCKING DAMN IT I WON'T STOP UNTIL I START DOING BETTER WITH MY MAIN TEAM >__<

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sort of good news that Marvel is going to be 3/5 for quarters/semis (so I guess that means top 128) but sucks for all the people without EVO points who have to go through pools.
Everyone has to go through pools though. Seeding points just give you favorable bracket positioning and at most 1 bye.

I think I'm going to give Shuma-Gorath/Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange a shot.

I decided that Amaterasu's Cold Stars is great, but if Dr. Strange is getting zoned it's not helping a lot. Doom is a close second, but I like the idea of running Shuma-Gorath with his waifu (lol).

Some excellent Shuma-Gorath play here if anyone is curious (he's mediocre with his other characters):
http://www.twitch.tv/kocast/b/319081151?t=133m30s

Also, it turns out that Shuma-Gorath can also TAC glitch, it's just that no one cares because it's Shuma-Gorath!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lKeAmO2QkwM

Someone should put together "team TAC glitch" and just TAC all day until a character dies. Maybe this is why Seth Killian thought Morrigan/Shuma/Doom was ridiculous? Morrigan TAC glitch into Shuma, Shuma TAC glitch to Doom, Doom does hit super long TAC combo into level 3, every time you touch a character.

Nuh-uh!

The plan was to grab a 360 for Mahvel since most people played it there, then a PS3. End of generation came however and I decided to hold off on bigger game purchases for a while. I'm like a top tier poverty monster and going to be that way for a while until I can restart school again sadly. =/
I dig. Well, if you ever make it to the PS3-side, I'm here for matches.

i figured drones would be, but i wanted to avoid playing sentinel while still keeping spencer. i thought the horizontal arrows might suffice for skrull. maybe its time though i put together a team that doesnt include spencer, which would be a first for me, even going back to vanilla.
Try Strange, then. You want something that lets him Meteor Smash whenever the hell he wants to. It's an amazing tool. It's like the difference between Wesker with a beam assist and without.

Dahbomb

...day 1?
Yes Day 1 probably even before although I cheated and looked at Yipes in the Lab video for Vanilla MVC3. But as soon as I saw that it tracked, went off screen and hit even if the opponent was comboing I knew it was top tier. Drones as well although every one was on Sentinel's balls back then anyway.

Solune

Dark Dimension is a pretty shitty level 3, so it displeases me to have to use it. I feel like Dormammu should get a full combo off of it to make up for how bad it is.

My team's DHCs are all really safe, since I have Finishing Shower, Luminous Body, and Stalking Flare. It's all very safe. I've actually never been bothered by the poor DHC synergy. The utility outweighs it in my opinion.

I honestly don't understand Morrigan + Vajra. It doesn't feel like a good combination. If you want a really sick Soul Drain setup, pair Morrigan with Tron or Dante. Let me know if you get it to work, though.

I think everyone should have a level 3, I can't be the only one who thinks this way. Dark Dimension does lead into a Chaotic Flame, that's gotta count for something!

See, I don't think I could ever play a team without DHC synergy, it means for the most part, you'll have to get your damage out of resets and without a safe reset setup I don't feel confident playing that way. If I wanted to play that style, I'd play Wolvie/Akuma.

Vajra is more there for Chris which is amazing, I'm sure I thought about it but didn't put them together. Vajra is kind of like a one time Doom missile, forcing the opponent to be stationary and eat soul fists, though she can't OTG it's exceptional for space control. Morrigan also makes every 2 meter Chris combo self-sufficient it's so damn good. Shadow Blade is also a godlike anti-air assist, the hitstun is insane. If you can't tell, each time I talk about this team I like it alot :lol

smurfx

get some go again
FT 50 is normal for you? god damn i sometimes struggle to not be bored out of my mind in a ft20 and i can't imagine ft50.

I think everyone should have a level 3, I can't be the only one who thinks this way. Dark Dimension does lead into a Chaotic Flame, that's gotta count for something!
I agree everyone should have a level 3, but I wish Dormammu's was better, hahaha. Like an install hyper where he can cancel specials into other specials and still gets meter during the whole thing.
So broken!

See, I don't think I could ever play a team without DHC synergy, it means for the most part, you'll have to get your damage out of resets and without a safe reset setup I don't feel confident playing that way. If I wanted to play that style, I'd play Wolvie/Akuma.
Well, my point character DHCs into my second character, and that's what I really care about. I wouldn't put a team together that couldn't at least do that, because you'd miss out on a lot of kills otherwise. I can THC with Firebrand for a 3 meter 850K combo, too (lol).

Vajra is more there for Chris which is amazing, I'm sure I thought about it but didn't put them together. Vajra is kind of like a one time Doom missile, forcing the opponent to be stationary and eat soul fists, though she can't OTG it's exceptional for space control. Morrigan also makes every 2 meter Chris combo self-sufficient it's so damn good. Shadow Blade is also a godlike anti-air assist, the hitstun is insane. If you can't tell, each time I talk about this team I like it alot :lol
Damn, you're even willing to use the Shadow Blade assist and you're not running Dante? Blows my mind!

FT 50 is normal for you? god damn i sometimes struggle to not be bored out of my mind in a ft20 and i can't imagine ft50.
Not FT50, just 50 total matches. I don't play "FT", I'm just playing. If someone wants to quit after 10 wins or whatever, that's their business. I don't see the point in quitting at some arbitrary number unless you have a bet on the game.

I dare anyone to try to do a grounded Magnetic Tempest DHC into Round Harvest. That shit is retarded random. Does a ton of damage, though.
Like, as to whether it hits?

Like, as to whether it hits?

Yeah, it doesn't have to do with the amount of hits but whether there are still rocks out when you DHC. So if you DHC and the rocks are already hitting, they fall out. If there's one or two still on their way, it connects. And there's so many rocks that there's no way to tell. Aerial Tempest always works, but you have to have a weird combo to hit that that basically requires an assist and I'm using drones to get in.

...Ok, even though it's me vs Biz, getting P'd twice in a row is probably a sign that I'm getting tired and should stop for a while. Jesus Karst, how do you do this? x_X

GGs Biz, I managed to get a good 5th win (out of like 50 matches...), so I'm not TOO disappointed in myself >.>

I found it amusing how you downloaded my downloading of how you always opened (jump into airdash) and happy birthday'd me because of it like 3 or 4 times. I found it REALLY annoying how your team ALWAYS had enough meter to TOD me, unless it was Rocky and he slipped out of the combo. I may not be getting better at actually winning, but at least I think I'm surviving better? What did you think?

Bizazedo

I found it amusing how you downloaded my downloading of how you always opened (jump into airdash) and happy birthday'd me because of it like 3 or 4 times. I found it REALLY annoying how your team ALWAYS had enough meter to TOD me, unless it was Rocky and he slipped out of the combo. I may not be getting better at actually winning, but at least I think I'm surviving better? What did you think?

Yeah, after one specific Javelin caught me I was like WAIT A MINUTE..

But, three things.

A). You ALWAYS attacked when your character was getting up or on entry. I know it's Marvel and a lot of "normal" rules for fighting games go out the window, but there is still such a thing as start up and that's why I kept catching and killing your guys. I just attacked slightly earlier so the attack would be hanging out at your feet because I just assumed you wouldn't block.

It helped you in the first two or three matches because you did a lot of unsafe shit because whenever I got close (point blank cr. B, shippuga when you used Zero), it was attackattackattackattack. One of my weaknesses is assuming people won't do that too much lol :(. Soon as I slowed down, though, it became a liability.

B). Raccoon in XF3 didn't have a long enough combo to build meter / you blew your wad / level 3 on the first of my three or first of my two guys. It was like an auto-win for me even as I watched my guy take the napalm because it took sooooooooooooooooooo long to finish. It also didn't even kill all the time because you went into it so fast after the first hit.

I chalked some of that up to online lag and just trying to do easy combos, but third..

C). Minor, but you didn't always know where your bar would be at the end of a combo. I've played Nova for a long time, so it helped, but I distinctly remember you catching Zero, combo'ng him, and I knew the VERY last hit (j. h 'natch) would put you at two bar and allow you to Nova Force --> Frank!

But you seemed to assume it wouldn't and didn't hyper.

Zero then bounced out and murdered your entire squad.

And I only bring it up because of your last point, yeah, I know exactly how much meter my combos build and what I need to do to get the necessary meter to ToD :).

Go slower. Especially with that team since it looks like your normal Nova combo won't get you to level 2 w/o some help. Take your time. Space your crouching B's. Use shopping cart more while air dashing at or over me.

A). You ALWAYS attacked when your character was getting up or on entry. I know it's Marvel and a lot of "normal" rules for fighting games go out the window, but there is still such a thing as start up and that's why I kept catching and killing your guys. I just attacked slightly earlier so the attack would be hanging out at your feet because I just assumed you wouldn't block.

It helped you in the first two or three matches because you did a lot of unsafe shit because whenever I got close (point blank cr. B, shippuga when you used Zero), it was attackattackattackattack. One of my weaknesses is assuming people won't do that too much lol :(. Soon as I slowed down, though, it became a liability.

B). Raccoon in XF3 didn't have a long enough combo to build meter / you blew your wad / level 3 on the first of my three or first of my two guys. It was like an auto-win for me even as I watched my guy take the napalm because it took sooooooooooooooooooo long to finish. It also didn't even kill all the time because you went into it so fast after the first hit.

I chalked some of that up to online lag and just trying to do easy combos, but third..

C). Minor, but you didn't always know where your bar would be at the end of a combo. I've played Nova for a long time, so it helped, but I distinctly remember you catching Zero, combo'ng him, and I knew the VERY last hit (j. h 'natch) would put you at two bar and allow you to Nova Force --> Frank!

But you seemed to assume it wouldn't and didn't hyper.

Zero then bounced out and murdered your entire squad.

And I only bring it up because of your last point, yeah, I know exactly how much meter my combos build and what I need to do to get the necessary meter to ToD :).

Go slower. Especially with that team since it looks like your normal Nova combo won't get you to level 2 w/o some help. Take your time. Space your crouching B's. Use shopping cart more while air dashing at or over me.

A) It was a (bad I'll admit) attempt with Rocket to get out of mix-ups. Everything else was me getting desperate at your Zero and Nova >_< Everytime I entered attacking with Frank I facepalmed HARD soon after >__>

B) It was usually just me wanting to get rid of Zero/Nova. Really, really badly. Mostly as a coinfidence thing, even with less meter I feel much better if it's just Zero/Wesker. Granted, sometimes it was serious overkill, but other times I just didn't want to risk it. I can't boulder loop at all, so my long Raccoon combos are non-existant, even in XF because the only loop I know is Beart TrapxN and how the HELL am I ever going to catch anyone with that?

C)Actually, I AM aware of how much meter my usual combos build approximately (Nova's gets about 80-90% meter without Frank assist, with it I think it gets a full bar). That time probably was me getting greedy and trying to get a grab reset. Meter building is really not a strong point of my team though tbh...(at least I have a meter postive Frank combo in lv4+ I guess?)

How else can you measure progress?
If I play, I progress. I still keep track of the score. It just doesn't have to be a FT10. Like if you and I play and I go 6-23, it's pretty clear to me who's better if we stop right there, and that I need to work on everything. If we play again and I go 16-14, I know I've improved. I just don't understand why people limit it to a FT10.

I once played someone who I was 6-14 against, and we kept playing. By the time we stopped it was 24-20. If we stopped at FT10 or whatever, I just would have been confused by my losses. Somewhere in the teens I figured out how to handle his team, and I started winning.

Theoryfighter food:
https://twitter.com/EternalFlocker/status/214884386028527616

Dahbomb

I don't get that Twitter post? We have known that Wesker isn't THAT good for a long time now. Still top 10 free and more than capable of winning EVO if put on a top team.

Dahbomb

Yeah but even the top players have had Wesker lower than like 3 or 4 characters at least in their tier lists.

Seems like I missed some discussion in that twitter conversation so it was probably out of context.

Fchamp posted that Wesker isn't that strong anymore. And Flocker agreed but said that it was a known fact. Also unsure if Wesker is even top ten.

We have Zero, Viper, Dorm, Magneto, Vergil, Dante. Then we have Strider, Doom, Morrigan, Firbrand, Ammy, Skrull, MODOK(despite his usage he is a great meta character), Taskmaster and Hawkeye who both are going to be constant meta characters.

If I play, I progress. I still keep track of the score. It just doesn't have to be a FT10. Like if you and I play and I go 6-23, it's pretty clear to me who's better if we stop right there, and that I need to work on everything. If we play again and I go 16-14, I know I've improved. I just don't understand why people limit it to a FT10.

I once played someone who I was 6-14 against, and we kept playing. By the time we stopped it was 24-20. If we stopped at FT10 or whatever, I just would have been confused by my losses. Somewhere in the teens I figured out how to handle his team, and I started winning.
I didn't say anything about a FT10. I think that's way too short as well. Having a solid baseline is a good thing though. A FT20 is the minimum in my eyes. Progress can be measured just like anything else even if those measurements are a bit fuzzy. Sometimes reducing things to simple numbers can make learning far easier. I think this applies very well to fighting games unless you are super dedicated in your fighting game "studies".

Dahbomb

The meta game has been rough to Wesker but he is still a very strong character. As long as Strider has that important hard knockdown property on Vajra, Wesker is relevant in the meta.

Also you forgot Spencer, Felicia and Wolverine although I can understand their omission, meta game does not favor them much except for Spencer for his important match up against Vergil. Wolverine also does OK against Vergil, unsure of Felicia.

The meta game has been rough to Wesker but he is still a very strong character. As long as Strider has that important hard knockdown property on Vajra, Wesker is relevant in the meta.

Also you forgot Spencer, Felicia and Wolverine although I can understand their omission, meta game does not favor them much except for Spencer for his important match up against Vergil. Wolverine also does OK against Vergil, unsure of Felicia.

Spencer is way better than Wesker, though. He has the highest damage output in the game, good mixups and mobility, the best reset assist in the game and a great multi-use hyper. Wolverine is losing steam because Vergil is replacing him as the left/right god.

I didn't say anything about a FT10. I think that's way too short as well. Having a solid baseline is a good thing though. A FT20 is the minimum in my eyes. Progress can be measured just like anything else even if those measurements are a bit fuzzy. Sometimes reducing things to simple numbers can make learning far easier. I think this applies very well to fighting games unless you are super dedicated in your fighting game "studies".
I just don't see the point of ending at a number. I simply used "10" as the number. FT20, FT50, I don't see a difference. I just want to play the game a lot with someone when I get to play.

Man, hard knockdown, Round Harvest, raw tag to Magneto, call sentinel drones is so solid.

Next chance I get I'm gonna test to see how Magnetic Shockwave pushes a blocking point character and an assist. Maybe if they stay close together Shockwave DHC Round Harvest is a viable strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom