• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice

I apologize for leaving kind of abruptly; something just came up at home. Thank you for all of the games! This team is pretty fun, although I'm not finishing most of my combos yet.

It's all right, I felt super free. Time to hit the lab with Hawkeye and Wesker.

Cap/Wesker/Hawk. I'm willing to change it around.

I played a Wesker/Cap/Hawkeye for a little bit. Charging Star assist is good because it causes soft knockdown and you can do the wallbounce palm really late in the combo. Triple shot is really good in general for Wesker, one of the best assists to help him get in in the game.

GGs Solar.

What are your thoughts on Doom vs. Spencer as the point character for that team?

Edit: Oh yeah Solar, and we had some epic DHC battles going on there. Doom vs. Doom, I DHC in Hsien-ko, you DHC in Morrigan, I DHC in Strange. It was like a contest to see who could put the most crap on the screen.

Team update:
I played 120 matches with Spencer/Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange today, and 50 matches of Doom/Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange. I don't feel as though either is a clear winner. The Spencer team has better DHCs to Hsien-ko's Rimoukon through Bionic Maneuvers and Bionic Lancer, but Spencer's assists, while good for a lot of teams, don't feel very helpful for Dr. Strange or Hsien-ko. Spencer backed by both assists is really monstrous though, and once he dies Dr. Strange backed by Hsien-ko is also very hard to deal with. However, I felt as though Spencer was pulling the main weight of the team. I'll add that Spencer might be the easiest character I've tried to play in the game. I've never gotten over a dozen OCVs with a new character before. I also got a compliment on my Spencer play and on my Dr. Strange play, which is flattering since I don't feel as though I'm good with either. The biggest problem with this team was small characters like Amaterasu, who can pretty much ignore Bolts of Balthakk. It turns into a neutral game between Spencer and Amaterasu, because your opponent won't be able to get assists out thanks to Strange.

Doom/Hsien-ko/Dr. Strange builds better meter than the Spencer team, but Doom didn't feel as strong on point as Spencer did. That might just be me, though. He was a lot more versatile than Spencer, since Bolts of Balthakk combined with Doom's projectile repertoire allowed me to outzone a lot of teams. People pretty much always had to come to me if I wanted them to. This team was definitely stronger for Dr. Strange, especially if I kept this lesson in mind: if my opponent jumps, I teleport. It's a pretty long fight though, as Dr. Strange doesn't have any great ways to destroy characters that are superjumping around the screen. It's definitely a team you need patience for. My hunch is that this team is slightly superior to the Spencer team, but both felt strong despite me not being great with any of the characters.

I beat a surprising number of people with Hsien-ko, once even reverse OCVing someone. I'm not going to pretend she's secretly some great character, but I felt she was very playable when backed by Dr. Strange, and faired well when backed by Strange and Doom. You have to play very patiently, but that's Hsien-ko's nature.

Spencer is on the highest level of derp possible in this game. Just zip and keep swinging, you'll confirm into 600k for no real reason, air or ground.

I tried to learn Spencer so I could provide optimal damage and combos for Phoenix Wright, but I was so disgusted by the character that I just dropped him.
That's pretty much my experience. So many happy birthdays too with my setup.

shaowebb

Whats your take on Arthur/Iron Fist/Taskmaster Karsticles?

I know I'm terrible at this game anymore and was legitimately failing at combos left and right earlier, but I was getting wins with this team using Arthur backed by Iron Fist's flying kick/ task H shot and when I wasn't zoning heavily using that setup I was using armored Arthur to tag out and setup armor daggers assist for Iron Fist rushdown (which got past everything).

Any thoughts on how to improve this setup? Tasky is there for an easy to use character with options once he's by himself to mainly act as a horizontal assist to protect the other two if that matters. Might be redundant but he can make for some variety between Arthur's zoning when Arthur is on point between Iron Fist's kick covering parabolic backed by horizontal Arthur spam since I can switch him in to cover the Horizontal and spam the skies.

Whats your take on Arthur/Iron Fist/Taskmaster Karsticles?

I know I'm terrible at this game anymore and was legitimately failing at combos left and right earlier, but I was getting wins with this team using Arthur backed by Iron Fist's flying kick/ task H shot and when I wasn't zoning heavily using that setup I was using armored Arthur to tag out and setup armor daggers assist for Iron Fist rushdown (which got past everything).

Any thoughts on how to improve this setup? Tasky is there for an easy to use character with options once he's by himself to mainly act as a horizontal assist to protect the other two if that matters. Might be redundant but he can make for some variety between Arthur's zoning when Arthur is on point between Iron Fist's kick covering parabolic backed by horizontal Arthur spam since I can switch him in to cover the Horizontal and spam the skies.
I've never used Iron Fist, but my understanding of the character is that he is pretty good at staying in once he gets in, and he has some nice tricks once he gets there. Thus the goal is to make sure you get in at all costs, and rely on your anti-AG, super armor, and invincible attacks to open your opponent up. I read through his portion of the strategy guide. Holy crap, he only has one low normal, and it's c.H? That sucks.

If you were on the PS3, I'd take a day just to learn Iron Fist and play against you so we can see what's up with the character.

One thought is this:
Rising Fang is a really, really good assist. So why not anchor him? Sure, you don't want to use XF3 Iron Fist, and who would? Instead, get Iron Fist in through an alpha counter. There are very few assists in this game that lead to full combos when they are alpha countered in and are actually good assists. Iron Fist arguably has this going for him more than any other character. So my hunch is to play him third, and get him into play through the alpha counter. This removes your need to start the match with him struggling to get into melee. Then, ToD whoever you alpha counter, and you get to mix up the incoming opponent and hopefully continue your momentum.

Another thought is that it looks like Iron Fist has trouble opening opponents up alone due to the lack of a good low-hitting normal. Have you considered pairing him with a low-hitting assist to couple with his pressure? I'm not sure how well that would work in practice, but my thought is either Felicia using Rolling Buckler, or, even better, Phoenix Wright using "Go get em' Missile!" This latter assist is really, really underrated in the game. The dog travels full screen has 5 projectile hit points (so it's basically a mini-Hadoken), hits low, and also OTGs. Wright definitely likes Rising Fang, too, and since he's defensive, you'll get a lot of opportunities to throw out that alpha counter.

I definitely think you should remove Arthur from the team - he's "anchor only" in my opinion. Anything else is just asking for misery. I think Taskmaster is a good choice though, and I think there's something to the team of Taskmaster/Wright/Iron Fist. Taskmaster makes good use of the Rising Fang for keepaway, and gets full combos off of it. He also makes good use of Wright's low assist for unblockables and additional keepaway. Wright gets use of Rising Fang. Iron Fist gets unblockables and an arrow assist to help him get in. My goal with this team would be to land a combo with Taskmaster to DHC Wright in to get evidence, and then keep Wright in while trying to get Turnabout Mode activated. After this, get Iron Fist in through a raw tag via the Mya Shield, and save Wright as your XF3 anchor for a gauaranteed win if you mess something up.

That's just my two cents. I've never used Iron Fist, so it might not be valuable.

Edit: This post also makes me realize that Shuma-Gorath and Wright are a damn fine combination. I think I might give Shuma-Gorath/Wright/Taskmaster a shot.
Edit2: If Iron Fist benefits from a pinning assist, it occurs to me that he might go well with Chun-li...

alright, so I'm gonna run Spencer/Doom/Dormammu now.

which assists should I use?
Slant Shot for Spencer. It lets Dormammu relaunch and Doom can probably do something with it. Doom should be on Hidden Missiles since Spencer probably won't get combos off of Plasma Beam, and Hidden Missiles extend his combos. Dormammu could be on Purification for more damage to your combos or Dark Hole for extending pressure and mix-ups.

shaowebb

I've never used Iron Fist, but my understanding of the character is that he is pretty good at staying in once he gets in, and he has some nice tricks once he gets there. Thus the goal is to make sure you get in at all costs, and rely on your anti-AG, super armor, and invincible attacks to open your opponent up. I read through his portion of the strategy guide. Holy crap, he only has one low normal, and it's c.H? That sucks.

If you were on the PS3, I'd take a day just to learn Iron Fist and play against you so we can see what's up with the character.

One thought is this:
Rising Fang is a really, really good assist. So why not anchor him? Sure, you don't want to use XF3 Iron Fist, and who would? Instead, get Iron Fist in through an alpha counter. There are very few assists in this game that lead to full combos when they are alpha countered in and are actually good assists. Iron Fist arguably has this going for him more than any other character. So my hunch is to play him third, and get him into play through the alpha counter. This removes your need to start the match with him struggling to get into melee. Then, ToD whoever you alpha counter, and you get to mix up the incoming opponent and hopefully continue your momentum.

Another thought is that it looks like Iron Fist has trouble opening opponents up alone due to the lack of a good low-hitting normal. Have you considered pairing him with a low-hitting assist to couple with his pressure? I'm not sure how well that would work in practice, but my thought is either Felicia using Rolling Buckler, or, even better, Phoenix Wright using "Go get em' Missile!" This latter assist is really, really underrated in the game. The dog travels full screen has 5 projectile hit points (so it's basically a mini-Hadoken), hits low, and also OTGs. Wright definitely likes Rising Fang, too, and since he's defensive, you'll get a lot of opportunities to throw out that alpha counter.

I definitely think you should remove Arthur from the team - he's "anchor only" in my opinion. Anything else is just asking for misery. I think Taskmaster is a good choice though, and I think there's something to the team of Taskmaster/Wright/Iron Fist. Taskmaster makes good use of the Rising Fang for keepaway, and gets full combos off of it. He also makes good use of Wright's low assist for unblockables and additional keepaway. Wright gets use of Rising Fang. Iron Fist gets unblockables and an arrow assist to help him get in. My goal with this team would be to land a combo with Taskmaster to DHC Wright in to get evidence, and then keep Wright in while trying to get Turnabout Mode activated. After this, get Iron Fist in through a raw tag via the Mya Shield, and save Wright as your XF3 anchor for a gauaranteed win if you mess something up.

That's just my two cents. I've never used Iron Fist, so it might not be valuable.

Edit: This post also makes me realize that Shuma-Gorath and Wright are a damn fine combination. I think I might give Shuma-Gorath/Wright/Taskmaster a shot.
Edit2: If Iron Fist benefits from a pinning assist, it occurs to me that he might go well with Chun-li...

Thanks for this. So the idea is use one of the other two to get the ball rolling and when pressure gets applied to me pop a meter to alpha counter in Iron Fist to TOD combo? Gotta admit that does let me use the assist more. I know Arthur is scary as hell with X-factor as an assist, but the reason I use him is Iron Fist makes him a real pain to deal with and his daggers are so wide that I can literally wear them as a skirt. When I wave dash after the assist I'm inside the middle one with one in back and one in front plus I tend to use the armored ones that are boosted. I don't know the stats on these but they ate every projectile and I didn't have to hit confirm with them first before dashing up. I was able to dash with them straight up which avoided lockdown. Also they can be used mid combo to help push toward the corner more where Iron Fist becomes a pressure cooker and scary as hell.

A team order may need changed though like you said, because that Alpha counter is a pretty solid idea on how to use Iron Fist for both Arthur and Tasky zoning instead of just Arthur. I just have to make certain he's never in last or its death. Noooo options to get in. Maybe Tasky/Arthur/Iron Fist with alpha counter intended to change it part way into Tasky/Iron Fist/Arthur to keep a good anchor handy. Task isn't bad for me at anchor BTW with all his options, but you are right in that Arthur anchors like a beast so I'll try this and see if I can keep all the Rising fang perks, your alpha counter idea, and armored daggers assist for Iron Fist pressure. Plus I can easily see Arthur needing an alpha counter to save him if things went wrong more than Tasky.

EDIT: Chun Li adds scaling though and both need a way inside. I tried Ryu+Iron Fist before and having two who need a way inside is not worth it with Iron Fist IMO. If anyone needed redundant horizontal coverage its him. Though your right about lows. He has some nice stuff off of x-23 ankle slice. That assist makes it under beams doesn't it? Not certain on that plus I'm sketchy if it can be used to hit confirm from block stun (doubt it). What Iron Fist could use is rising fang to not require rekkas to access it. She-hulk had a slide and wall jump so I'd like to see access to Iron Fist's only get away maneuver usable and really, I'd like it normal cancelable to use it like a hop from KOF. It'd be fun for combos too. Ah well...I got enough to grind.

Thanks for this. So the idea is use one of the other two to get the ball rolling and when pressure gets applied to me pop a meter to alpha counter in Iron Fist to TOD combo? Gotta admit that does let me use the assist more. I know Arthur is scary as hell with X-factor as an assist, but the reason I use him is Iron Fist makes him a real pain to deal with and his daggers are so wide that I can literally wear them as a skirt. When I wave dash after the assist I'm inside the middle one with one in back and one in front plus I tend to use the armored ones that are boosted. I don't know the stats on these but they ate every projectile and I didn't have to hit confirm with them first before dashing up. I was able to dash with them straight up which avoided lockdown. Also they can be used mid combo to help push toward the corner more where Iron Fist becomes a pressure cooker and scary as hell.
That's the hypothesis at least. Like I said, I've never used Iron Fist, so it's mostly speculation. The thing about Arthur's daggers is that you need to power him up to make them that good (it takes them from 3 durability to 5 durability each IIRC). They're damn good, but that means spending a bar of meter and having Arthur on point to get it out there. If you haven't been finding it to be a problem, then keep at it!

A team order may need changed though like you said, because that Alpha counter is a pretty solid idea on how to use Iron Fist for both Arthur and Tasky zoning. I just have to make certain he's never in last or its death. Noooo options to get in. Maybe Tasky/Arthur/Iron Fist with alpha counter intended to change it part way into Tasky/Iron Fist/Arthur to keep a good anchor handy. Task isn't bad for me at anchor BTW with all his options, but you are right in that Arthur anchors like a beast so I'll try this and see if I can keep all the Rising fang perks, your alpha counter idea, and armored daggers assist for Iron Fist pressure. Plus I can easily see Arthur needing an alpha counter to save him if things went wrong more than Tasky.
The neat thing about alpha counters is that the character could only never come in if you never blocked, haha.

EDIT: Chun Li adds scaling though and both need a way inside. I tried Ryu+Iron Fist before and having two who need a way inside is not worth it with Iron Fist IMO. If anyone needed redundant horizontal coverage its him. Though your right about lows. He has some nice stuff off of x-23 ankle slice. That assist makes it under beams doesn't it? Not certain on that plus I'm sketchy if it can be used to hit confirm from block stun (doubt it). What Iron Fist could use is rising fang to not require rekkas to access it. She-hulk had a slide and wall jump so I'd like to see access to Iron Fist's only get away maneuver usable and really, I'd like it normal cancelable to use it like a hop from KOF. It'd be fun for combos too. Ah well...I got enough to grind.
Isn't Rising Fang the way inside for Ryu/Chun-li? I agree that Iron Fist should be able to access Rising Fang without rekkas.

shaowebb

That's the hypothesis at least. Like I said, I've never used Iron Fist, so it's mostly speculation. The thing about Arthur's daggers is that you need to power him up to make them that good (it takes them from 3 durability to 5 durability each IIRC). They're damn good, but that means spending a bar of meter and having Arthur on point to get it out there. If you haven't been finding it to be a problem, then keep at it!
No problems so far and the durability on those things is working out well. I mean those stats are pretty much all Dieminion was abusing with Strange/Joe when he was voomeranging like mad isn't it? So far Arthur on point is no problem given all the zoning perks he's got with this team.
The neat thing about alpha counters is that the character could only never come in if you never blocked, haha.
Yeah I'd have to get hit to not use it. Plus this is a way out of mixups. Strider's wall exchange ability was a moment I nearly got reamed on during a lance barrage. I blocked the overhead, but an alpha counter would've been sweet then. Not like I could shield them in that setup as its vulnerable to overheads .
Isn't Rising Fang the way inside for Ryu/Chun-li? I agree that Iron Fist should be able to access Rising Fang without rekkas.

ehhhh not as much as I'd like.
It rises up over projectiles and doesn't hang low enough to be a true horizontal coverage. Plus its too fast to do the normal double air dash mixup she normally gets off of a horizontal assist. I suppose its okay if I run up across the ground, but it still gets her ate by beams if they are far enough away to not get clipped. Chun is fun, but she's best with beams and slow assists like drones to setup the go behind off her air dash. Great pressure character with air mobility and I love pogo-sticking her OTG, but not for this team.

Lol...maybe all that time playing shmups between CG work is why Arthur and zoning feel so right now. Thank you Cave. There's actually someone I found after doing this today when I went looking all over to see if anyone had combos for Iron Fist/Arthur that uses the two together. Guy named SirCaptain. He has a combo I like at about the 1 minute mark here that uses the daggers like I mentioned to help force them to the corner and extend his combo.
Fun stuff

Also a few times in that set I see him actually use Rising Fang to close the gap, but it took some timing to know just when he had time to rekka into the attempt and when he didn't IMO. That move needed left without pre-requisites after seeing how it could be used to close gaps and mixup incoming cast. He's using Spencer too for the reset, but like the way the team works without Spencer resets since each character benefits off each other in my team. Hoping Tasky/Iron Fist works as well as Arthur/Iron Fist did. Tasky was stuck at anchor in all my sets so I never got to run it. I can see it pinning easier since Tasky's arrows travel faster. Likely people will jump into rising fang in this setup leading to wallbounce starts for combos. It'd be fun to parabolic hyper a guy back to the corner for the kill though. Tennis lol.

shaowebb

Thanks for those videos Shao. I'll watch them to learn some Iron Fist.

Also, Dahbomb is going to be so hype:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/63160463

WHAT THE HELL YIPES!?! Summon swords AND Crown of swords AT THE SAME TIME FOR 1 METER!?!?!

lFyQx.gif

Solune

Slant Shot for Spencer. It lets Dormammu relaunch and Doom can probably do something with it. Doom should be on Hidden Missiles since Spencer probably won't get combos off of Plasma Beam, and Hidden Missiles extend his combos. Dormammu could be on Purification for more damage to your combos or Dark Hole for extending pressure and mix-ups.

Spencer can get off an S > SJC. Upgrapple by calling Plasma just before the first Upgrapple in the corner if timed properly. Also Plasma Beam > Zipline over and opponent is one of the dirtiest crossups in the game into a full combo. Molecular Shield is probably the weakest assist for Spencer, but Plasma Beam is just as good as an assist as Missile for him imo.

mr. puppy

Banned
around 7:30 fanatiq talks about mindgames with rayray, including doing really easy stuff during his money matches so rayray would be conditioned for basic mixups

Japan is obsessed with Vergil and a notable Japanese player has found a glitch he is saving for EVO. Now we find out one of the best supers in the game gets even better.

hmm...

EVO may cry

i cant find yipes on any of the FGTV streams, where was he talking about this?

Bizazedo

I'll get on the next few days on PS3 to get used to that frame difference between the two systems.

This. Give us the details, sir. :D

Well, it's not *just* frame data (although my first match I attacked too early and ate a Magneto attack for my troubles), I just got my two controllers re-done and last night was the first time using them. I was having HELLA issues with circles and SRK's. S'why my one match where I bodied the other Zero player, I didn't finish him off, I just tried to do as many things as possible to get used to the controller.

Failed horribly. Was totally my fault, though, should've played with them earlier at home.

The setup at the Break is pretty small and I made the mistake of bringing a big power chair, so next time I'll bring a smaller wheelchair to move around a bit better. So I didn't get any casuals in, sadly, just due to lack of movement. Next Time.

It was pretty fun, though, ignoring my total Fail. I left before the very end (long drive home, we hit White Castle though, was all good), but my highlight was sitting there watching the first Wong / Chris G match. The total turnaround, Chris G's crestfallen face, and after the second and third losses he kept turning around to the rest of us and saying "I have no idea what's going on" as Wong bodied him.

That and the anecdotes. I guess Fanatic wanted to play Chris g again after losing to him, lost again.

Marlin looked like he was sick. He'd occasionally double over and hold his stomach. I thought he was going to puke all over the stream setup, dunno what was wrong with him.

Demon Hyo should've beaten Marlin early on, or at least had a better shot. The jab button on his stick, he hit it so hard it was permanently pressed in and he didn't notice it for over a match against him until the very end.

I am still bitter I lost against that first guy. Nas I'm okay with, I couldn't do what I wanted and he lives near me and we play all the time, he knows my gimmicks / tendencies. That's a bad combo, I knew I was fucked.

That first guy, though....:(.

Dunno. A few of us from Delaware want to go somewhat regularly, so I'll definitely be back. Plus, more White Castle.

Dahbomb

I can't find that video link in that thread.

If that is exactly how the describer is describing the video then Vergil is now #1 character in the game by a considerable margin. He is officially broken and if Chou discovered that hidden tech and knows how to abuse it... it's going to be a fucked up EVO.

That is fucking Nelo Angelo level tech. Capcom managed to give Dante Quicksilver and Vergil Nelo Angelo Summoned Swords.... LMAO!

My guess is that the old builds of Vergil had Storm Swords with LVL1 meter but they had to nerf that. This could be a remnant of that.

There is no footage of this anywhere, not on the Vergil forums either. I DEMAND PROOF NOW!!!!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

If that is exactly how the describer is describing the video then Vergil is now #1 character in the game by a considerable margin. He is officially broken and if Chou discovered that hidden tech and knows how to abuse it... it's going to be a fucked up EVO.

That is fucking Nelo Angelo level tech. Capcom managed to give Dante Quicksilver and Vergil Nelo Angelo Summoned Swords.... LMAO!

My guess is that the old builds of Vergil had Storm Swords with LVL1 meter but they had to nerf that. This could be a remnant of that.

There is no footage of this anywhere, not on the Vergil forums either. I DEMAND PROOF NOW!!!!

Do you not trust the almighty GameFAQS?

JeTmAn81

Let's settle down about the Vergil stuff. There isn't any sense getting stirred up about something that somebody probably just made up. No proof of anything. Maybe I'll start a rumor about the glitch that lets Viper do meterless EX moves.

No need to guess. All 3 were part of the same hyper originally. Obviously, that was fixed for balance.

I wonder if Spiral Swords was the reason Seth wanted Ouroboros to be a lvl 2 hyper.

vg260

What would be the best assist picks for a Cap/Iron Man/Spidey team? or team tips for this combo?

I know it's probably a bad team combo, but they're my fav characters in general, and only play casually. I'm not worried about ditching one for a better team right now.

Chavelo

Guys, I found this super weird glitch with Taskmaster that KOs everyone in my opponent's team. I can't show proof at the moment, but I will sure deliver soon.

Azure J

So I just heard about some rumored tech that allows Vergil to have both Spiral Swords and Storm Swords active for one meter. This nigga isn't Byakuya anymore, son's fuckin' Mifune from Soul Eater. :lol

Spencer can get off an S > SJC. Upgrapple by calling Plasma just before the first Upgrapple in the corner if timed properly. Also Plasma Beam > Zipline over and opponent is one of the dirtiest crossups in the game into a full combo. Molecular Shield is probably the weakest assist for Spencer, but Plasma Beam is just as good as an assist as Missile for him imo.
Does the Plasma Beam + Zipline lead into a full combo no matter where Spencer starts from relative to the opponent? If so, thank you for the knowledge boost and correction.

In the old builds Vergil could move between Spiral Swords and Blistering/Storm Swords without meter. I remember S-Kill talking about it at an event once. So I think you're on the right track with the glitch's origins.

Do you not trust the almighty GameFAQS?
Uh, the thread says it was stated on last night's stream. So GFAQs isn't the source unless you think someone decided to make something that specific up, which isn't typical of GFAQs members. You could always check the stream if you don't believe the member, but apparently Yipes is the one who said it. If that's true, you're distrusting Yipes, no GFAQs.

shaowebb

Couldn't we tweet Yipes or something to ask about this rumor? The gamefaqs guy said it was Yipes who saw it. If he confirms it was something he saw then its time to panic as folks will be ripping apart his moveset to figure outhow to summon that glitch controllably.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The way it was worded sounded like crap. "Someone said it on stream also crappy cellphone footage so no one can understand". Also isn't the FGTV stream going on for most of the day? Not easy to find what sounds like Yipes talking about something for a few seconds on a stream the last most of the day. I'm not saying it can't be true, just the circumstances make it seem likely that it's for some wild goose chase. Also GameFAQS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom