• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Roman/guard cancel is sweet, and normalized boosts would be fine, but 1v3's SHOULD be hard to come back from, not teleport+giant hitbubble madness. The fact that I can legitimately get bodied for 2.5 characters and make a comeback with XF3 Laura is dumb.

The guard cancel aspect is probably the best part though. It brings the most mindgames with it by far, and the requirement for the pressing opponent to have to continue to think right through to the end of the match.

This is why I love X-Factor even with the need to tweak the boosts further. In concept it's good. I never thought it was a comeback mechanic in theory. Having a one-shot guard/roman cancel anything bullet to fire off, available to both players, is actually a devilish play mechanic.

It literally does become the x-factor of the match. And I like the idea that unlike some other mechanics, using it carries a huge amount of risk if you use it first, and don't take advantage of it correctly. The mindgame of "do I use it yet? He hasn't used his. If I blow this he's sitting on XF and gloating" is delicious.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Oh look. I made that.
Man, the RR reveal thread was so hype. Red Aremmer/Becquerel (They're the same right?) abandoned the RR ship like a mofo.

He's been very quiet in general lately. Poor Rocket Raccoon. For a split second the reveal trailer got me hyped despite not caring much about his inclusion before that, but the instant the game released I realized this was a character I could never pick up.

Now they need to not allowing morrigan to not build any meters during astral vision.
Damn, people really do want me to quit this game.
Fuck nerfing xfactor, let us turn it off. Its not a crucial part of the gameplay like parries or focus attacks. Also I still dont get why people that run tournaments dont just ban xfactor or make you use immediately in a match. I dont think i've ever seen an accidental xfactor.
There have been accidental x-factors.

Frantic

Vergil and Dante have a much more versatile neutral game than Morrigan, not to mention that Dante becomes the best character in the game in DT pretty much.
Pretty much. If Dante could build meter in DT, he would be able to stay in DT indefinitely more than Morrigan can with Astral Vision since Dante is crazy good outside DT. Plus, infinite Lightning Bolt would just be OP.

Azure J

The Zero play in the Big 2 reminded me of a pretty funny/stupid conversation I had with a few Marvel friends who asked about which incarnation had potential to be more broken in Marvel between his MMX & MMZ.

Basically, imagine if current Zero had a st.H with the same hit properties but came out from behind Zero overhead and all the way in front of himself (180 degrees basically), a launcher that extended 3/4th his body upward, a f.H that was a three hit dashing gatotsu like move, a full screen sword wave that froze on contact, a teleport dash similar to Hienkyaku that's jump cancellable, a double jump, a swiss army weapon that goes between whips, tonfas, a polearm/rod/haliberd and the saber, a Megaman cartoon like palm move that he can straight up rip off/x-copy an opponent's primary form of attack with and... (wait for it)

A chargeable saber attack that launched a multi-spark geyser in front of himself. As in he could probably charge saber cancel. This is also before you take into mind that they're both the same character and as such his move set could be further influenced by shit he had in the X series.

You now have a basic idea of how fucking lucky we are with this Zero. :lol

Damn, people really do want me to quit this game.

I am really seriously feeling for you right now. One of the reasons why I feel so strongly about leaving her alone is because she is wholly unexplored. We've been guilty of thinking about how most character's upfront damage is the most important thing to judge their offensive capability with and her she comes showing off that the wear down game is one that really has potential and even more so when mixed with her "swooping" style of rush. Another reason for it revolves around the idea that she actually made me stop and think about how I evaluated characters and their viability in this game. I made "fix lists" about er but never thought about how supplimenting her engage/disengage style with pure zoning would make her gameplay so effective, especially when backed with the proper assists.

The complaining only bugs me because you never know when Derpcom listens for "fixes", the likes of which can be anywhere from ok if you lower your expectations to straight up character destroying. Shoutouts to Quotes rationalizing this better than I could though when talking with Liston who swears she needs a no meter build nerf in AV but when confronted with Firebrand's powerup hyper having the same property, he commits a fallacy with his response of "but he needs it."

"The job of Morrigan in a fighting game is to disappoint the Morrigan player."

I think Buktooth said this once. It's so funny to see how different the tune is now...

I feel for Morrigan players. It would blow my mind to see people complain about Hsien-Ko one day.

I think Buktooth said this once. It's so funny to see how different the tune is now...

I feel for Morrigan players. It would blow my mind to see people complain about Hsien-Ko one day.

IF SHE GOES GOLD YOU CAN'T PUT HER IN HITSTUN, STEADY THE NERF CANNON

People must love their watered down fighters. Also, I think it's the fact that Morrigan's dealing with a lot of the usual suspects of UMVC3 fairly well is what has people in a tizzy. God forbid people go to counterpick or *gasp* matchup-constructed teams to deal with Morri+Missiles.

I still haven't seen an archetype by archetype breakdown of why Morrigan+missiles is so broken no one can deal with it and it has to be patched. There are millions of team and point+assist combinations in the game, but it MUST beat them all.

Frantic

Tony Stark swag. Definitely need to level up my Iron-Man. I'll have to mess around with Repulsor Blast as an assist, too - I'd kinda like a lockdown assist like it.

AzureJericho said:
The Zero play in the Big 2 reminded me of a pretty funny/stupid conversation I had with a few Marvel friends who asked about which incarnation had potential to be orewould be more broken in Marvel between his MMX & MMZ.
Sounds like my thoughts about a 100% Dante in MvC3. Or what it would be like if they put DMC4 Dante in MvC3 instead of DMC3's. People can complain about Dante all they want, they definitely should consider themselves lucky. :p

AzureJericho said:
Shoutouts to Quotes rationalizing this better than I could though when talking with Liston who swears she needs a no meter build nerf in AV but when confronted with Firebrand's powerup hyper having the same property, he commits a fallacy with his response of "but he needs it."
I just laughed at that. Morrigan definitely needs meter build during Astral Vision, and anyone who says otherwise is just salty.[/realtalk]

Azure J

It's still true, to an extent. Now that she's doing so well, Morrigan players are disappointed by everyone screaming for nerfs.

Well played. :lol

Just a thought, I've been saying that Strange is a hard Morrigan counter because of books, counter super and glyphs he can place to ruin her movement/maneuverability through the air as well as the duration she can stay up there when placed well. (There's also Swords and Daggers) But let's say we aren't looking for straight counters, do you feel as though someone with fast air movement and high damage like Mags or good vertical space control/zoning like Dorm could be placed as above average counters to her? I'm not accounting for assists as yet, but might as well talk about it since she's going to start blowing up guaran-fucking-teed.

Edit: Damn, look at that fraudulent ass sentence structure and thought process malfunction in the quoted part of my post there Frantic. :lol

Clearly I'm free to over thinking with a tiredness assist. :p

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Free? Gram might delay the missiles coming out, but when they do, won't he get hit trying to teleport? Couldn't she just airdash out of the way?

Morrigan/Doom still isn't as bad as Spiral/Sent.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this here for Frantic:
When I run Ghost Rider, I usually run him with like Hidden Missiles or Drones, so having them backing it up makes it really good. Conditioning people to start jumping to avoid it allows for cr.H shenanigens, and then you can throw in some j.S in there for extra salt.

Of course, I'm far from being a good Ghost Rider player, so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.
Well, I wouldn't call myself a good marvel player period so, lol. But I think that's a pretty solid team backing up Ghost Rider, especially since it feels like one that can function just fine without him. Doom especially since you can switch to Beam assist depending on the match-up (I think it's the better choice against Hawkeye for example). Cr.H/J.S mixups is probably the laziest most troll-like shit in the world. I love it. Are you getting full combos off cr.H?

Deadpool with angled guns and Hawkeye's Greyhound assist is some annoying stuff with Ghost on point. Good lord do teleporters blow him up though. You need something like Lariat assist or Jam Session to protect Ghost's super slow limbs.

Edit: You know you can get a combo off J.S if you time Doom Missiles correctly? Drones too at the right range.

did you guys hear, morrigan is the new wesker. get rid of that broken mechanic.

M6HVC.jpg

Frantic

Just a thought, I've been saying that Strange is a hard Morrigan counter because of books, counter super and glyphs he can place to ruin her movement/maneuverability through the air as well as the duration she can stay up there when placed well. (There's also Swords and Daggers) But let's say we aren't looking for straight counters, do you feel as though someone with fast air movement and high damage like Mags or good vertical space control/zoning like Dorm could be placed as above average counters to her? I'm not accounting for assists as yet, but might as well talk about it since she's going to start blowing up guaran-fucking-teed.
I think all of team DMC can deal with the "SOU SOU SOU SOU". Strider too, if he's properly assisted and/or has Orbs out. I'd go over all the reasons, but I'm tired as hell right now lol. I'll just say that they have options. :p

El Sloth said:
Well, I wouldn't call myself a good marvel player period so, lol. But I think that's a pretty solid team backing up Ghost Rider, especially since it feels like one that can function just fine without him. Doom especially since you can switch to Beam assist depending on the match-up (I think it's the better choice against Hawkeye for example). Cr.H/J.S mixups is probably the laziest most troll-like shit in the world. I love it. Are you getting full combos off cr.H?
I can count the amount of times I've landed a Ghost Rider combo in all my games with him on one hand. Hitconfirms with Ghost Rider are just very weird to me, since they reach soooo far. I'm not used to hitting people from full screen like that, lol. I've won most of my games with him through stray hits + chip. I'm very much a fraudulent Ghost Rider.

While I switch some charactesr in and out, my most common team with him is Ghost Rider/Chris/Doom, Chris with his beam like gunfire, and Doom with Missiles. It's basically 100% trolling keepaway, and it's awesome. I've been called a "fukken pussy" and a "little bitch" over it.

El Sloth said:
Good lord do teleporters blow him up though. You need something like Lariat assist for Jam Session to protect Ghost's super slow limbs.
Missiles can help against teleporters, but yeah, Ghost Rider definitely hates teleporters.

El Sloth said:
Edit: You know you can get a combo off J.S if you time Doom Missiles correctly? Drones too at the right range.
Had that happen accidentally. It was one of my few successful combos, lol.

Yeah I see this. Vajira H (derr), wall cling shenanigans, Birds/Birds carrying Bombs, and then if we deal with meter options, Oroborous.
Vajra H doesn't really work that well against a really good Morrigan. Fly > Unfly is actually fast enough to allow Morrigan to block and punish it, even if she was throwing out a Soul Fist. Wall Cling in general is asking to eat a Soul Fist to the face, and Strider's projectiles are all beaten by a single Soul Fist(Strider's all have 3 low durability with bomb being 5, and Morrigan's are all 5). That isn't to say he has no options. A well timed teleport can definitely throw her game off, Gram can give her problems at a distance(since it goes through projectiles), Ouroborous definitely gives her problems(it gives everyone problems, really), and if he gets in, she's in for a world of mixups.

Giving Strider a beam assist will definitely skew it more in his favor, though.

Broke

Wesker
Zero
Spencer
Morrigan

The Elite 4?

But honestly, those guys are cool and easy to deal with once you learn the tricks.

FUCK WOLVERINE

You guys might like this...
I am really seriously feeling for you right now. One of the reasons why I feel so strongly about leaving her alone is because she is wholly unexplored. We've been guilty of thinking about how most character's upfront damage is the most important thing to judge their offensive capability with and her she comes showing off that the wear down game is one that really has potential and even more so when mixed with her "swooping" style of rush. Another reason for it revolves around the idea that she actually made me stop and think about how I evaluated characters and their viability in this game. I made "fix lists" about er but never thought about how supplimenting her engage/disengage style with pure zoning would make her gameplay so effective, especially when backed with the proper assists.
Don't worry about it too much. We are probably going to get another game and it'll probably have Gene. I'll be fucked if they nerf Ammy and Morrigan though. Utterly and absolutely fucked.
The complaining only bugs me because you never know when Derpcom listens for "fixes", the likes of which can be anywhere from ok if you lower your expectations to straight up character destroying. Shoutouts to Quotes rationalizing this better than I could though when talking with Liston who swears she needs a no meter build nerf in AV but when confronted with Firebrand's powerup hyper having the same property, he commits a fallacy with his response of "but he needs it."
The ironic thing is that she'd be pretty mediocre without the ability to fill the screen up. It's not like she was the Queen of night back in Vanilla lol.

It's fucked up how most commentary was dead quiet on Wesker with his ridiculous shit(credits to Yipes for always informing folks when glassless Wesker appears on the stream) only to blow up when Morrigan gets shit done.

Shit like the stuff on the streams is why we can't have a modern Darkstalkers. That game is too insane for most folks. If she were anything like her Darkstalkers version people would be bitching up a storm.

It'd be nice if they did meld some of her old tools with the buffs she got coming into Mahvel though. That is too far out there for me to think about it anyway...

Dahbomb

Tony Stark swag. Definitely need to level up my Iron-Man. I'll have to mess around with Repulsor Blast as an assist, too - I'd kinda like a lockdown assist like it.
Joker from Canada uses this tech of the Repulsor trap.

Those j.A resets in the corner were nice though... going to x-copy that shit. Also I was FIRST to using IM with Akuma as I have stated in this thread.

And I tried that Firebrand unblockable with IM day one of the game. It works but its' SUPER TIGHT.

THE FUCK is up with people asking for Morrigan nerfs? Got a problem dealing with the lame stuff? Put Captain America on your team you lazy ass punks. Vergil with Spiral Swords works too sort of.

I'll be fucked if they nerf Ammy and Morrigan though. Utterly and absolutely fucked.
You don't even have the game. I thought that's the whole point of not owning the game so you don't get mind fucked by patch changes. If you still get salty over character changes over games you don't own... then you might as well drop down the cash.

You don't even have the game. I thought that's the whole point of not owning the game so you don't get mind fucked by patch changes. If you still get salty over character changes over games you don't own... then you might as well drop down the cash.
Did you miss something? I ordered the game and it arrived yesterday. I was at the hospital the whole day though.

Dahbomb

Whoops sorry... didn't scan through the past few pages in detail. I hope nothing serious at the hospital and welcome back.

Man Snighter at WNF had easily one of the best Deadpools I have seen. Optimized combos and using Teleports methodically both in combos and mix ups. Great zoning as well, a complete Deadpool player. Another character I think is really good in the game but lacks one of the "top" players playing him on their team.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm 600k sold without the Vita version accounted for. I'd say that's actually kinda good. Hope Capcom feels that way too. My biggest hope is some character DLC and MvC4 early next gen and
the king of Spain showing up at Captivate announcing the usage of his image for Magneto is a-ok

Grecco

Dieminion thinks Strange is bottom 5 and will drop him (and might make a new team entirely because too many people are picking Morrigan)

Welcome to Marvel Dieminion. lol Also hes nuts in thinking Strange is bottom 5.

Grecco

There's no way Strange is bottom five, but I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it.

terrible buttons/normals/gets mauled easily/meterhog/needs assist

mostly. I do find his complaints kinda hilarious. I hate Dr Strange with the passion of a thousand suns.

mr. puppy

Banned
dont care what anyone says but Morrigan is free to Strider.

not at all. baiting strider is one of the like top 3 things you need to master to be good at this game. i've been doing Morrigan/Vergil/Doom all week and am having the least trouble with the Strider assist and morrigan is never around to play vs him as anchor anyway. Any good beam, though, is giving me trouble.

Crocodile

Hmm 600k sold without the Vita version accounted for. I'd say that's actually kinda good. Hope Capcom feels that way too. My biggest hope is some character DLC and MvC4 early next gen and
the king of Spain showing up at Captivate announcing the usage of his image for Magneto is a-ok

600k shipped WW and including JP Vita sales but this is still better than a lot of numbers I had seen thrown around so it's good news in any case. There is room for improvement so hopefully Capcom can use the money to do just that.

EDIT: A bit too hasty on the JP Vita numbers but given the MC numbers I've seen, 50k would probably be a generous estimate.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Japanese Vita sales included in that? The graphic said 360/PS3, is the inclusion of Vita sales stated somewhere in the full report?

mr. puppy

Banned
it sure is fun watching all of these pros saying they play Phoenix/Jean before she was popular and only b/c they were huge fans of her and they don't care shes OP, and then they all drop her in ultimate. freaking scrubs.

Bizazedo

it sure is fun watching all of these pros saying they play Phoenix/Jean before she was popular and only b/c they were huge fans of her and they don't care shes OP, and then they all drop her in ultimate. freaking scrubs.

I know, right? Makes me happy I use characters I just like, like M. Bison, Wesker, Nova, Zero.

I mean, god, Nova's horrible.

:).

Degen

I think it's already safe to say that Soulcalibur 5 won't be keeping me away from this game for very long

they made guard impact harder. they made the ability to deal with spamming... harder. more importantly, what have they done to siegfried!?

If Kadey ever streams it, I probably won't be good enough to bother participating lol

Hulk Combo Video - Persona

Scary stuff.

Awesome. I'll probably never do them in real matches (just like everything that looks good, lol), but it's cool to pull them off in God's Beard Mode

but regarding a couple of them...

jH, jS, L, M, f+M (add like a millisecond of charge time), S, jMMHS, gamma wave, gamma crush.
Any combo that starts with an air-clap in the corner, just barely passes 900K, and isn't this combo right here is just somebody going for style points.

Grecco

The only person that said this was Flocker i think.

I think it's already safe to say that Soulcalibur 5 won't be keeping me away from this game for very long

Ive barely played it but i think its pretty fun. Enough to be my primary fighter prolly not, but its till fun. Ezio <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom